Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 2014 8:25 PM

Oct 2012
Anyone else feel life is like that?

You work to pay the bills, and then you're always just working to make someone else richer.
Sure you get raises overtime, but then gradually your expenses rise too.

Wake up, shower, eat, go to work, come home, lay back a bit, eat, sleep. Repeat.
You want to take a vacation... but it takes forever to save up money for one directly, as well as enough to cushion the financial loss incurred from taking time off.

One would assume making $100k+ driving a BMW is a paradise, but the reality is many of those people just end up with more toys and/or other expenses and at the end of the day are no more happier/better off. Or get into a bad relationship/marriage and lose half+ on the way out.

There are exceptions to this of course: family financial support and/or working an irregular job(s) with long gruelling hours to save a significant amount above your expenses to one day escape. Though the latter is more of a rarity, as the stress often just forces one to spend more or quit.
May 27, 2014 8:27 PM

Nov 2013
This is a pretty interesting blog OP.

Although I do get what you mean.
May 27, 2014 8:36 PM

Aug 2013
Think outside the box
[b][size=240]GROOSE[/b][/size]

May 27, 2014 8:38 PM

Sep 2012
The entire world is structured a certain way, and the government raises children to live by this structure.
It's the world we live in, and we can either be part of it and receive all the benefits (an income to earn money and spend it on wants and needs) or we can try living in a forest.
May 27, 2014 8:38 PM

Apr 2013
I know exactly what you mean. Though, I wouldn't call it living in a box. I think you're just thinking about "sheeple" (no reference to my name).

But life isn't about conforming to social norms. Everyone wants a good job with a BMW, but it's pointless if 1. you hate the place you work at and 2. you don't even like BMW.

For me, I found myself living in a box, the way you defined it. Wake up, eat, go to school, play games, go to sleep, repeat. But the reason why I found myself living in that box is because I realize I haven't been making my life exciting even though I have the power to do so, as busy as our schedules usually are. I was just following the norm (in my life) and not trying to seek anything more. I think the point is to seek more and actually pursue what you think will take you away from that box. I found mine, and if I'm still inside this box, then it seems to me that I'll be breaking out of it pretty soon.

If you're the kind of person that wants a BMW just to please the neighbors, go ahead, but it sounds like you don't want a BMW for that reason. You don't always have to opt for a BMW. You can always buy something more exciting. :P
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
May 27, 2014 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
Economic Dependance is just a new and nicer sounding form of Slavery.
May 27, 2014 8:43 PM

Apr 2013
RedArmyShogun said:

Maybe I should just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7mt30A6aY
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
May 27, 2014 8:45 PM

Sep 2012
Tsuyuu said:

You work to pay the bills, and then you're always just working to make someone else richer.

Wake up, shower, eat, go to work, come home, lay back a bit, eat, sleep. Repeat.
You want to take a vacation... but it takes forever to save up money for one directly, as well as enough to cushion the financial loss incurred from taking time off.

One would assume making $100k+ driving a BMW is a paradise, but the reality is many of those people just end up with more toys and/or other expenses and at the end of the day are no more happier/better off. Or get into a bad relationship/marriage and lose half+ on the way out.

There are exceptions to this of course: family financial support and/or working an irregular job(s) with long gruelling hours to save a significant amount above your expenses to one day escape. Though the latter is more of a rarity, as the stress often just forces one to spend more or quit.

I wouldn't blame society for something you can fix yourself. The masses almost always try to impose some uniformity because it gives a lot of people security. They're happy to pick the brand and color of their car, TV etc. and what type of job they want that's considered appropriate for them.

Looking to external factors as the source of an unfix-able problem is usually a diversion from things you could be doing to make your life what you want it to be. Granted, many people have shitty life situations, but I'm one of those people.

Personally I try the opposite. I stick out like a sore thumb. The old proverb or whatever "the nail that sticks up will be hammered." Well, I haven't been hammered down but I'm a pretty beat up nail. So yeah, I'm trying to be who I am while not making the people around me uncomfortable. I have aspergers, so I guess you could say it's easier for me to be unique. However, it doesn't mean you have to be on the autism spectrum to be different. Heck researchers are still debating as to whether Aspergers is just made up anyway lol;)
May 27, 2014 8:50 PM
Mar 2014
It'd be cool af to live in a box and just travel with the wind, Mother Nature's natural disasters determining when you migrate and all.
May 27, 2014 8:56 PM

Jan 2013
iSheep said:
RedArmyShogun said:

I'm sorry I don't understand dishwasher.
May 27, 2014 8:56 PM

Apr 2013
RedArmyShogun said:
iSheep said:
RedArmyShogun said:

I'm sorry I don't understand dishwasher.

Then learn.
May 27, 2014 11:36 PM

Dec 2012
Nope, clearly you're not a Shepard life's more fun when you lead people.

May 27, 2014 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
Expenses only increase if you keep going higher and higher on the way you live or how much you spend with increased income. If I ever start making tons of money, I am going to save a good chunk of it rather then buy things I will likely never use.
May 28, 2014 1:17 AM
Feb 2013
Nope, All i do is wake up and go to paradise.

paradise would be my PC
May 28, 2014 1:30 AM
May 2014
There's so much more in life than the pursuit of money.
May 28, 2014 2:21 AM

Oct 2013
Tsuyuu said:

Finally. Someone else who realises that money is god and that we're slave to its ways. My advice, get a job that you like so much that it doesn't feel like work. I only like design, music and video editing. I'm doing admin at the moment and it sucks. I can't wait for this apprenticeship to end!
May 28, 2014 2:22 AM

May 2010
I'm in a box. I was just looking at it, and suddenly I got this irresistible urge to get inside. No... not just an urge, more than that. It was my destiny to be here, in the box. And when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can't put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I'd found the key to true happiness.

Does any of that make sense? You should come inside the box... then you'll know what I mean.
May 28, 2014 3:04 AM

May 2013
That is the reality, although I try not to think of it that way as it is a depressing thought.
May 28, 2014 3:21 AM
May 2009
I know what you mean. The Reality of my life is as dull as I expected it to be.
Working 5 days a week, Weekends I pretty much stay at home to catch up on stuff.
I've not taken a break from work in the last 5 years. Not because I can't afford one or that I don't want to leave work. Its because its not my daily routine. Thus I don't think about it.

The more I think about it, the more I realise my life is probably going to be this dull for a long time. After all the world has become a boring place. Nothing that is produced interests me, and since I can obtain most things for cheap or for free. There is less drive.

I then wonder what would I do if I won the lottery. Assuming I won a £10,000,000.00 It could open a world of opportunity to enjoy life, since there will be no financial restraint. I can also then stop living under employment, but aim to develop my own trade. Or to live off the land.

However in the case when that would not happen. I am also hoping that the world would collapse into Chaos, so that the restraints placed upon me by society, Laws, Economy, Human ethics would all be released.
May 28, 2014 3:27 AM

Jan 2014
You're right, but try being a bit optimistic for a change! :p
May 28, 2014 3:33 AM

Apr 2011
You can't live without routines and patterns, no matter how much you hate it.
May 28, 2014 3:36 AM
Mar 2011
Actually the whole world is made of boxes. A house is a box, a room is a box, a car is a box, a computer is a box. Towns and countries can also be considered as boxes, as well as humans and animals. So there is nothing weird with the feeling of living in a box. Because this is the way it is.
May 28, 2014 5:24 PM

Aug 2013
Thrashinuva said:
I'm in a box. I was just looking at it, and suddenly I got this irresistible urge to get inside. No... not just an urge, more than that. It was my destiny to be here, in the box. And when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can't put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I'd found the key to true happiness.

Does any of that make sense? You should come inside the box... then you'll know what I mean.

Brilliant.
May 28, 2014 5:27 PM

Apr 2014
I feel like I'm in a legit box for the past 3 or 4 years.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
May 28, 2014 5:37 PM

Aug 2013
Welcome to life

You should try getting out
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
May 28, 2014 5:38 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah i feel that way, because no matter what you do, your life will always revolve around wasting over half your day to be able to literally live and eat and the only time you get to end this cycle is after your to old to really enjoy life to its fullest if you even make it to that age of retirement. This is one of the biggest reasons that their is no real purpose in life, we live to survive and thats it.
May 28, 2014 5:39 PM

Nov 2012
I'm rather curious what you expected life to be like.
May 28, 2014 5:46 PM

Apr 2014
zoknimano said:

To have some type of purpose, something to look forward to. How can someone be content living in this world and be happy, i can't see it.
May 28, 2014 5:58 PM
Nov 2008
jimbobyoo said:
zoknimano said:

To have some type of purpose, something to look forward to. How can someone be content living in this world and be happy, i can't see it.
i like to have little things to look forward to, often to do with material items.
May 28, 2014 6:03 PM

Nov 2012
You should really just accept that such is life, and set up little goals for yourself instead of expecting to be some kind of magical meaning behind it.

It sucks that humans are intelligent enough to realise the meaninglessness, but it doesn't have to be too bad. It all depends on you.
May 28, 2014 6:31 PM

Apr 2014
zoknimano said:
You should really just accept that such is life, and set up little goals for yourself instead of expecting to be some kind of magical meaning behind it.

It sucks that humans are intelligent enough to realise the meaninglessness, but it doesn't have to be too bad. It all depends on you.

And what goals would i set for myself that would make me truly happy because i honestly don't know. What makes you happy and content with your life?

@Heredity, Material items don't really make me happy in fact i think i feel happier the less i have and the simpler i live. I can think clearer with less stuff for some reason.
May 28, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2014
You just sound lazy and unmotivated.
May 28, 2014 7:36 PM

Jul 2011
It's the human condition. To some extent, most of our lives are centralized to some sort of routine like you describe: work, come home & relax, sleep, work, and repeat. In my opinion, it can be very easy to become lost and disheartened sustaining existence from one day to another. Then you begin asking yourself, what the point of it all is? Is it for those little moments of enjoyments you have? You may go full philosophical mode and ask yourself what the meaning of life is, or you may be more humble and ask yourself what activities gratify you. Within all this intertwined is the inevitable fact that all life eventually ends. There is a fear of morality looming in the shadow. Is your struggle for vague 'better' future worth it, if you may die tomorrow?

It really makes for great plots in anime / movies when there is a major event or breakthrough in a person's life which causes the person to deviate from the norm and explore new things. Unfortunately, real life is often not as exciting as movies -- so you have to work to make it interesting. I guess how people go about doing that depends on the particular person. Though from my experience, partaking in productive hobbies seems to correlate with general well-being.
May 29, 2014 1:54 AM

Jun 2013
Me and my turtle live in a box, we are quite happy.
WHAT IS THIS
May 20, 2015 3:29 PM

Oct 2012
RedArmyShogun said:

we live in a prison
May 20, 2015 3:32 PM

May 2015
Tsuyuu said:
RedArmyShogun said:

we live in a prison

or you just lack the motivation to move somewhere a job will pay you what you feel your time is worth

sorry op, sounds like you're gonna have an unfufilling life :c
May 20, 2015 3:33 PM

Feb 2015
Fun Fact: You don't have to do anything that anyone expects of you, ever.
May 20, 2015 3:48 PM

Aug 2013
kiss said:
Tsuyuu said:

we live in a prison

or you just lack the motivation to move somewhere a job will pay you what you feel your time is worth

sorry op, sounds like you're gonna have an unfufilling life :c

Do you have any idea what a move costs? without considering if you land the job first, finding a place with affordable rent, the cost of living goes up in the city so you have to get a better job and then you have mortgages tying you down.

Your simplified argument doesn't take real life into much consideration. If just going out finding a well paid job and moving was that easy, everyone would do it.
May 21, 2015 2:42 AM
May 2009
Live in the box, make it into your paradise.
or you can just work in the box to raise your funds to go to paradise once in a while or forever.
May 21, 2015 3:07 AM

Jul 2014
I don't know if my self in the box is dead or alive.
May 21, 2015 3:21 AM
Jul 2018
Aria-da-Capo said:
I don't know if my self in the box is dead or alive.

Both.
May 21, 2015 6:08 AM

May 2014
Life is a bitch. Then you die.
May 21, 2015 6:29 AM
Jul 2018
I just think it's a little fucked up that you work your whole life so you can afford an "enjoyable life". But really you're just working your life away, thinking it's somehow building to something better. I mean maybe you have a good build up in retirement, but if you have a family history like mine you're going to die before you get to use it or use it all on medical bills anyway. So you work your life away just so you can live miserably in a hospital bed without putting your family in too much debt.
May 21, 2015 8:29 AM

May 2013
This is pretty much why I fear the real world. I'm in college just to stall having to work/doing something with my life.
Sometimes I wish I could just drop every part of my place in the world and go live in a Chinese temple up in the mountains, living off the land.
May 21, 2015 1:03 PM

Jun 2014
IneedHelp said:
There's so much more in life than the pursuit of money.
All credit goes to Sacred.

More topics from this board

» What makes you automatically not trust a MAL user ( 1 2 )

Daokoscake - Mar 4, 2021

69 by Torchy7321 »»
23 minutes ago

» Guys always finish last

MUFFlN - May 12

21 by traed »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » does height matter? ( 1 2 )

deg - Jan 2, 2022

94 by LoveYourSmile »»
32 minutes ago

» Which "Attitudinal Psyche" do you think you are? (very easy 3-question)

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Do you find this person attractive?

passtur - 9 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.