Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Apr 7 - 13

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Oct 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
True. Yeah I accept this as a fact now given some recent trends and hard numbers. Kyoani is very far from a sure thing anymore.

Forgive me for being rude, and I hope you can take this in the spirit of humor for which it is meant, but being one of the people who has butted heads with you on this over the past year, but I actually danced a jig when I read that :-)

I did too. I hate monopolies and guaranteed successes and like to see it earned straight up. Hopefully the other shoe will drop this season on a low effort exploitative cash in and I'm sure people know what I'm referring too.
PeacingOutApr 15, 2014 11:15 PM
Apr 16, 2014 12:02 AM

Sep 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
True. Yeah I accept this as a fact now given some recent trends and hard numbers. Kyoani is very far from a sure thing anymore.

Forgive me for being rude, and I hope you can take this in the spirit of humor for which it is meant, but being one of the people who has butted heads with you on this over the past year, but I actually danced a jig when I read that :-)

I did too. I hate monopolies and guaranteed successes and like to see it earned straight up. Hopefully the other shoe will drop this season on a low effort exploitative cash in and I'm sure people know what I'm referring too.

This: I believe someone mentioned that your favorite studio is Sunrise, so why "only" hate KyoAni and Shaft when you breakdown which studios have the biggest hits, we will have this tally: From http://www.someanithing.com

Sunrise 15 13.2%
A1 Pictures 12 10.5%
Kyoto Animation 12 10.5%
JC Staff 11 9.6%
Studio Deen 6 5.3%
Production IG 6 5.3%
AIC 4 3.5%
Brains Base 4 3.5%
Shaft 4 3.5%
Bones 3 2.6%
Duame 3 2.6%
Gainax 3 2.6%
Studio Pierrot 3 2.6%
Xebec 3 2.6%
David Production 2 1.8%
Hal Film Maker 2 1.8%
Madhouse 2 1.8%
Seven Arcs 2 1.8%
ufotable 2 1.8%
8-bit 2 1.8%
White Fox 2 1.8%
Actas 1 0.9%
Arms 1 0.9%
Artland 1 0.9%
Frontline 1 0.9%
Gonzo 1 0.9%
PA Works 1 0.9%
Satelight 1 0.9%
TNK 1 0.9%
Toei Animation 1 0.9%
WIT Studio 1 0.9%
Zexcs 1 0.9%
GhostalkerApr 16, 2014 12:08 AM
Apr 16, 2014 12:14 AM
May 2013
I guess you could call me a Sunrise fan too (though not of everything they've made) but I'd actually like to see one of those studios that haven't had many big hits have some success. Specifically maybe PA Works or Satelight. They've done some good work recently (NagiAsu and White Album 2 came to mind) and had some decent sales, but not over 10k. I wouldn't have minded seeing either of those go above 10k...
Apr 16, 2014 1:59 AM
May 2012
Wow, look at Hoozuki no Reitetsu now.
The moment I read the news about it getting an Anime adaption, I knew that it was going to be a good show.
Good, I guess I should watch it soon :3
Apr 16, 2014 2:12 AM

Nov 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
So with the sales of Rebellion going so well, are we going to see more Madoka Magica anime in the future?

There better be. The ending to the third movie felt off and I got the impression that there's more to come.
Apr 16, 2014 3:05 AM

Dec 2012
Ghostalker said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

This: I believe someone mentioned that your favorite studio is Sunrise, so why "only" hate KyoAni and Shaft when you breakdown which studios have the biggest hits, we will have this tally: From http://www.someanithing.com

Sunrise is one of the oldest and most profitable animation studios in Japan, the cradle of some famous studios including Bones, A-1, Manglobe, and the lessor known Studio Bridge. In term of size, Sunrise is unparalleled. It is the collection of 12 separate animation studios and a CGI division. Each studio within Sunrise is equivalent of a small independent studio except for Studio 1, 3 and 8, which are equal to a mid-size studio. Each of those three has an animation budget on par with someone like J.C Staff.

Unfortunately, people outside Japan only think of Sunrise as a mecha studio. It's probably due to the fact that the Gundam franchise itself made 65.2 billion yen for Bandai last year (roughly 652 million dollars), almost double its third largest franchise, One Piece (Bandai owns everything related to One Piece's games) at 33.9 billion yen. That's why you see Sunrise, as Bandai's affiliate, keep making Mecha series without caring about disc sales. Gundam Build Fighter, for example, is broadcast free online and at Bandai's stores. It is aimed as an advertising to sell Gundam models to kids.
Apr 16, 2014 4:06 AM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Excluding sequels, such a thing does not exist when it comes to disc sales for anime series. And even then you got big drops, such as IS S2 and Chuu2 S2.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Apr 16, 2014 4:16 AM
Jun 2013
ThangLong said:
Unfortunately, people outside Japan only think of Sunrise as a mecha studio. It's probably due to the fact that the Gundam franchise itself made 65.2 billion yen for Bandai last year (roughly 652 million dollars), almost double its third largest franchise, One Piece (Bandai owns everything related to One Piece's games) at 33.9 billion yen. That's why you see Sunrise, as Bandai's affiliate, keep making Mecha series without caring about disc sales. Gundam Build Fighter, for example, is broadcast free online and at Bandai's stores. It is aimed as an advertising to sell Gundam models to kids.

Considering the success of Love Live and Aikatsu, I bet that sooner or later it will be known as an idol studio too.

Speaking of anime studios, OLM seemed to getting a large sum of cash from game adaptations. Let's see...Pokemon from Nintendo, Buddyfight & Vanguard from Bushiroad, Youkai Watch from Level-5 and Dragon Collection & Oreca Battle from Konami. I've never seen anyone else getting so much game adaptation works.

As for the rankings, yay for the Calendar Girls album.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Apr 16, 2014 4:46 AM

Sep 2010
ThangLong said:
Ghostalker said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Sunrise is one of the oldest and most profitable animation studios in Japan, the cradle of some famous studios including Bones, A-1, Manglobe, and the lessor known Studio Bridge. In term of size, Sunrise is unparalleled. It is the collection of 12 separate animation studios and a CGI division. Each studio within Sunrise is equivalent of a small independent studio except for Studio 1, 3 and 8, which are equal to a mid-size studio. Each of those three has an animation budget on par with someone like J.C Staff.

Im a big fan of SEED and 00, and I bought Gundam model kits also from Master Grades to Perfect Grades from Bandai, this: http://i.imgur.com/GrNHpAH.jpg, So I'm well aware of that fact, also last week's post he tried to undermine Madoka Magica's 40 billion yen total value since inception because his Gundam is 65.3 billion yen last year which is really not much a comparison because of the difference between target audience and the fact that Gundam is like Pokemon already in terms of popularity, mainstream and brand value. What I really don't understand is Kaioshin's hate for KyoAni and Shaft, I feel like he has unjustified hate for this studios, pretty much just trolling the forums for over a year now, because if you start to present statistics, numbers and facts, there is really nothing much there to support his hate.
GhostalkerApr 16, 2014 5:11 AM
Apr 16, 2014 6:00 AM

Dec 2012
murazrai said:
Considering the success of Love Live and Aikatsu, I bet that sooner or later it will be known as an idol studio too.

The way Bandai builds Love Live franchise is as meticulous and methodological as they way Sunrise builds Gundam, or the way Namco (which is part of Namco Bandai Group) builds Idolm@ster. All three are multimedia projects that can sustain itself due to capturing different segment of people and their needs. While Gundam captures males when they are young. Im@s and Love Live capture a large number of people who are idol, music, game, or anime fan.

Idol otaku is the most loyal group of the otaku culture. As long as an idol group keeps catering to their needs, they will continue to follow such group. People in the West roll their eyes at the idol culture, thinking it's too weird. However, what they don't realize is idol culture is not that far from celebrity culture that many people in the West eat up like candy. Anime idol otaku, a small sub-group of idol otaku, is by affiliation, very loyal. That's why you see im@s continues to bring huge amount of money to Namco, Columbia, and Lantis although im@s anime ended a couple years ago. People are still playing the im@s game and its online sister, CG, and watching Puchimas. However, anime idol otaku and idol otaku may not see eye-to-eye. One group prefers the purity of the 2D world while the other prefers the purity of the idol themselves.

Ghostalker said:
What I really don't understand is Kaioshin's hate for KyoAni and Shaft, I feel like he has unjustified hate for this studios, pretty much just trolling the forums for over a year now, because if you start to present statistics, numbers and facts, there is really nothing much there to support his hate.

The conflict has deep root. Years ago, when people started following sale religiously on Japanese image board 2ch, the only two studios that were talked most about are Shaft and KyoAni. The huge popularity of Haruhi, and K-On, then the overwhelming victory of Madoka and Bake, made talking about sale so exciting and flamed the war between the two camps. Sale was tracked before, but the topic was turned into a popularity fight by the people who don't understand sale, the people use sale to justify their taste, or the trolls. This fight was spilled over to English image board 4chan and then it reached everywhere in the Western fandom at the time.

The main fight in English forums was between Shaft and KyoAni fans, thinking those two studios are the ones that matter in sale contest of late night anime. Many young people coming to anime through the boom of Haruhi and Madoka had a wrong perception of what studio is controlling the anime industry. Well, no studio controls the anime industry, but Sunrise is certainly bigger than Shaft or KyoAni.

That was the source of frustration from mecha fans like Kaioshin. In his mind, and some older fans of anime, Shaft and KyoAni are not really that special to deserve such huge hype.

As with many other fanbase war, it all comes down to one fanbase hating the obnoxiousness of the other. Sale fight is an extension of popularity contest and the urge to prove that one's taste is better than the others'. It can be hysterical to the point that people pick up on the smallest suspicion of bashing their favorite anime or studio, and then start bashing the user making that comment.

All in all, anime sale discussion should have two purposes:
1) Provide information about the anime industry and give people a window into what Japanese fans think or act.
2) Celebrate the success of the industry while giving hope for continuing content of the anime people love.
ThangLongApr 16, 2014 6:09 AM
Apr 16, 2014 6:59 AM

Aug 2007
Madoka movie was good, but really don't enough to buy a copy from DVD or BD.
Apr 16, 2014 8:12 AM

Oct 2007
Sung-Hwan said:
So with the sales of Rebellion going so well, are we going to see more Madoka Magica anime in the future?
A sequel is only natural considering Rebellion's plot. It also did amazingly well. You should treat the continuation as something sure, just waiting for the announcement of date and format (When? Movie or TV series? How long?)

/Anime idol otaku aren't a sub-group of idol otaku. Anime idol otaku are sub-group of anime otaku. See AKB0048.
ProgeuszApr 16, 2014 8:17 AM
Apr 16, 2014 8:27 AM

Sep 2013
scytheavatar said:
ichii_1 said:
Uta Pri sold almost 60k in a week with event ticket so Love Live will surpass that at least, 90K+ isn't far fetched.
THESE PEOPLE JUST DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT IDOL LIFE!
LOVE AND LIVE, LIVE AND LOVE - BANZAI BANZAI!

It's written in the first post, Takaramonos/Paradise Live sold 79,029. What are the chances of any Love Live S2 disc outselling that?

I'm talking about blu ray and dvd sales, uta pri 1 sold about 30K then season 2 about 60K and Love Live is more popular so it will increase, symphogear is another example.
Apr 16, 2014 8:35 AM

Dec 2012
Progeusz said:
Anime idol otaku aren't a sub-group of idol otaku. Anime idol otaku are sub-group of anime otaku. See AKB0048.

Saying that would imply Love Live fans or Im@s fans not coming to the live concert because anime otaku are usually less interest about the Live singing and dancing event, save for VA meeting events.

Watch this full house of 30K+ people and tell me why you think those are not idol otaku. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-OMGEdR_s

In the case of Love Live or im@s, there is a mix of anime and idol otaku. Although anime otaku usually do not like idol shows, both series are good enough to catch their interest. The songs and the groups are good enough idol otaku to enjoy. It's the misconception that idol otaku does not watch anime. People point to AKB0048 as an example, but it is more about AKB0048's plot not being idol otaku's cup of tea.
ThangLongApr 16, 2014 8:40 AM
Apr 16, 2014 10:11 AM
Feb 2012
Dunno why, but somehow I'm getting tired of the word otaku. I blame Thang for mentioning it roughly 15,000 times in his post.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 16, 2014 10:33 AM

Dec 2012
^ lol, there is no other technical term for it. Some people interchange the term with "enthusiast." But I think otaku is too hardcore to be called "enthusiast."
Apr 16, 2014 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
***,**2位/***,**2位 ★ (*15,288 pt) [*,105予約] 2014/06/20 Love Live! 2nd Season 1[Blu-ray]
***,*62位/***,*62位 ★ (**1,085 pt) [*,*48予約] 2014/05/28 Puchimas!!: Petit Petit iDOLM@STER Vol.1 [Blu-ray]

Idol domination at Amazon Japan.

Apr 16, 2014 10:50 AM

Oct 2007
ThangLong said:
Saying that would imply Love Live fans or Im@s fans not coming to the live concert
Not at all.

ThangLong said:
VA meeting events
Exactly. They want to meet the VAs. If it's random show, they simply want to meet them. If it's GuP, they want to see them talking about tanks. If it's LL they want to see them singing and dancing. It's natural. They want to see 3D counterparts of their favorite characters. Idols have obvious advantage because it's much easier for seiyuu to do what characters do in anime. Not to mention they have great voices by definition. They do interesting stuff related to anime so it should be obvious it's gathering people.
LL isn't the only show like that. See Symphogear and Nana Mizuki. Or Kami Nomi and Kanon. Are fans of these shows also sub-groups of idol otaku?

ThangLong said:
Watch this full house of 30K+
What are you trying to prove here? Anime otaku also participate in anime-related events. This isn't limited to idol otaku.

ThangLong said:
Although anime otaku usually do not like idol shows
WHAT?! Do you seriously believe this? Maybe by "idol shows" you mean variety shows of 3D groups? Or maybe by "anime otaku" you mean Westerners? If none of those two, I'm simply dumbfounded.
Anime otaku LOVE idols. 2D idols, that is.

AKB0048 was about 3D group so it didn't catch interest of anime otaku and didn't appeal to idol otaku because it was, well, anime. Sad but simple.

e: I've never used "otaku" so much in a single post and probably never will, I dislike how it sounds.
Apr 16, 2014 11:17 AM

Sep 2012
LoveLive! ラブライブ! both seasons in total domination with Madoka, Gundam and Miyazaki's last film in there, top 17 on Stalker:
**2位/**2位 ★ (*15,288 pt) [*,105予約] 14/06/20 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 1 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
**7位/**7位 ★ (**6,949 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 5 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
**8位/**8位 ★ (---,--- pt) [-,---予約] 14/04/02 劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ[新編]叛逆の物語(完全生産限定版) [Blu-ray]【更新停止】 Madoka Movie
**9位/**9位 ★ (**4,162 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 4 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*11位/*11位 ★ (**2,970 pt) [*,*27予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 3 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*12位/*12位 ★ (**2,987 pt) [*,*26予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 6 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*13位/*13位 ★ (**2,729 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 1 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*14位/*14位 ★ (**2,719 pt) [*,*27予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 2 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*15位/*15位 ★ (**4,577 pt) [*,*33予約] 14/07/25 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 2 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*16位/*16位 ★ (**8,144 pt) [*,**7予約] 14/06/18 風立ちぬ [Blu-ray] The Wind Rises
*17位/*17位 ★ (**3,815 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/08/27 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 3 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*18位/*18位 ★ (*60,607 pt) [*,193予約] 14/06/06 機動戦士ガンダムUC [MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UC] 7 (初回限定版) [Blu-ray]
*19位/*19位 ★ (**3,272 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/09/24 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 4 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*20位/*20位 ★ (**2,976 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/10/29 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 5 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*21位/*21位 ★ (**2,741 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/11/21 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 6 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*22位/*22位 ★ (**2,452 pt) [*,*25予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 7 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*23位/*23位 ★ (**2,785 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/12/25 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 7 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
Apr 16, 2014 11:20 AM
Feb 2012
ThangLong said:
^ lol, there is no other technical term for it. Some people interchange the term with "enthusiast." But I think otaku is too hardcore to be called "enthusiast."

That one sounds so wrong. Enthusiasts... lol
Let's call them inu instead. Sounds cuter than 'otaku' and doesn't make me picture all kinds of wrong things.

hpulley said:
LoveLive! ラブライブ! both seasons in total domination with Madoka, Gundam and Miyazaki's last film in there, top 17 on Stalker:
**2位/**2位 ★ (*15,288 pt) [*,105予約] 14/06/20 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 1 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
**7位/**7位 ★ (**6,949 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 5 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
**8位/**8位 ★ (---,--- pt) [-,---予約] 14/04/02 劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ[新編]叛逆の物語(完全生産限定版) [Blu-ray]【更新停止】 Madoka Movie
**9位/**9位 ★ (**4,162 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 4 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*11位/*11位 ★ (**2,970 pt) [*,*27予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 3 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*12位/*12位 ★ (**2,987 pt) [*,*26予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 6 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*13位/*13位 ★ (**2,729 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 1 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*14位/*14位 ★ (**2,719 pt) [*,*27予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 2 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*15位/*15位 ★ (**4,577 pt) [*,*33予約] 14/07/25 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 2 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*16位/*16位 ★ (**8,144 pt) [*,**7予約] 14/06/18 風立ちぬ [Blu-ray] The Wind Rises
*17位/*17位 ★ (**3,815 pt) [*,*31予約] 14/08/27 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 3 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*18位/*18位 ★ (*60,607 pt) [*,193予約] 14/06/06 機動戦士ガンダムUC [MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UC] 7 (初回限定版) [Blu-ray]
*19位/*19位 ★ (**3,272 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/09/24 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 4 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*20位/*20位 ★ (**2,976 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/10/29 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 5 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*21位/*21位 ★ (**2,741 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/11/21 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 6 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]
*22位/*22位 ★ (**2,452 pt) [*,*25予約] 14/05/28 ラブライブ! 7 <特装限定版> [Blu-ray]
*23位/*23位 ★ (**2,785 pt) [*,*30予約] 14/12/25 ラブライブ! 2nd Season 7 (特装限定版) [Blu-ray]

It's just a feeling, but LL miiiiight sell well this season...
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 16, 2014 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
rederoin said:
***,**2位/***,**2位 ★ (*15,288 pt) [*,105予約] 2014/06/20 Love Live! 2nd Season 1[Blu-ray]
***,*62位/***,*62位 ★ (**1,085 pt) [*,*48予約] 2014/05/28 Puchimas!!: Petit Petit iDOLM@STER Vol.1 [Blu-ray]

Idol domination at Amazon Japan.

That's the effect of price cutting across the board. Because of that, LL2 Vol1's running preorder rate overtook both KANJANI DVD and Arashi's Bluray whose first week sale have reached hundreds of thousand copies. I'm not sure how long LL2 Vol1 can hold, but it is another good sign.

Progeusz said:
ThangLong said:
Saying that would imply Love Live fans or Im@s fans not coming to the live concert
Not at all.

ThangLong said:
VA meeting events
Exactly. They want to meet the VAs. If it's random show, they simply want to meet them. If it's GuP, they want to see them talking about tanks. If it's LL they want to see them singing and dancing. It's natural. They want to see 3D counterparts of their favorite characters. Idols have obvious advantage because it's much easier for seiyuu to do what characters do in anime. Not to mention they have great voices by definition. They do interesting stuff related to anime so it should be obvious it's gathering people.
LL isn't the only show like that. See Symphogear and Nana Mizuki. Or Kami Nomi and Kanon. Are fans of these shows also sub-groups of idol otaku?

How much did GaruPan's event ticket boost sale? Check the data. GaruPan is not an idol show.
Symphogear is not an idol show. There would be little to none idol otaku watching this show. People come to see Nana Mizuki because she is the bright star of the anime earth.
KamiNomi is not an idol show. Kanon is an idol? Really, that's an idol show now? Saki is also an idol in Valvarave, is VVV an idol show? You should also check the data so see how much that event ticket boost sale for KamiNomi.

You seem to have no idea what constitutes an idol show. Shows with music or good OSTs are not idol shows. The story has to be about idol group, the VAs has to have the personality resembling the idols so idol otaku can relate to. That's what called 2.5D idol.

LL1 vol7 had the event ticket to the show. That made sale jumped 150% from the previous volume. The group µ can also perform at events independent from the anime like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfivyLA_ss, or the Honkong C3 event where idol lovers come there for the dance and the music, not because they are simple VAs.

Progeusz said:
ThangLong said:
Watch this full house of 30K+
What are you trying to prove here? Anime otaku also participate in anime-related events. This isn't limited to idol otaku.

Jumping up and down to the music with sweaty hand-waving multi-colored light rod; yelling at the idols at the peak of the music; crying when the show is over. Yes this crowd is idol crowd.

This first live event was before the anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8WQYjADrPQ
This new year concert was also before the anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitcL0HpTe8

Love Live appeals to idol otaku and no one can deny it.

ThangLong said:
Although anime otaku usually do not like idol shows
WHAT?! Do you seriously believe this? Maybe by "idol shows" you mean variety shows of 3D groups? Or maybe by "anime otaku" you mean Westerners? If none of those two, I'm simply dumbfounded.
Anime otaku LOVE idols. 2D idols, that is.

AKB0048 was about 3D group so it didn't catch interest of anime otaku and didn't appeal to idol otaku because it was, well, anime. Sad but simple.

Anime otaku loves 2D idols? Name any idol show you have an idea about besides im@s, Love Live and Aikatsu. Tell me how successful they are.
You have little knowledge about the idol world, and idol anime. That's why you are dumbfounded. I've explained to you above.
ThangLongApr 16, 2014 12:04 PM
Apr 16, 2014 12:15 PM

Oct 2007
ThangLong said:

The conflict has deep root. Years ago, when people started following sale religiously on Japanese image board 2ch, the only two studios that were talked most about are Shaft and KyoAni. The huge popularity of Haruhi, and K-On, then the overwhelming victory of Madoka and Bake, made talking about sale so exciting and flamed the war between the two camps. Sale was tracked before, but the topic was turned into a popularity fight by the people who don't understand sale, the people use sale to justify their taste, or the trolls. This fight was spilled over to English image board 4chan and then it reached everywhere in the Western fandom at the time.

The main fight in English forums was between Shaft and KyoAni fans, thinking those two studios are the ones that matter in sale contest of late night anime. Many young people coming to anime through the boom of Haruhi and Madoka had a wrong perception of what studio is controlling the anime industry. Well, no studio controls the anime industry, but Sunrise is certainly bigger than Shaft or KyoAni.

That was the source of frustration from mecha fans like Kaioshin. In his mind, and some older fans of anime, Shaft and KyoAni are not really that special to deserve such huge hype.

As with many other fanbase war, it all comes down to one fanbase hating the obnoxiousness of the other. Sale fight is an extension of popularity contest and the urge to prove that one's taste is better than the others'. It can be hysterical to the point that people pick up on the smallest suspicion of bashing their favorite anime or studio, and then start bashing the user making that comment.

1) Provide information about the anime industry and give people a window into what Japanese fans think or act.
2) Celebrate the success of the industry while giving hope for continuing content of the anime people love.

Pretty much summed up perfectly. I probably should start cutting both groups some more slack soon though since they seem to be catching on that the whole Shaft vs. Kyoani and everyone else by the wayside dichotomy is all but totally fan manufactured and not actually how the industry really looks at all in terms of what's popular and who deserves the most attention and praise. My hope for them not always having the best seller of the season and/or year is that it'll speed up the realization faster and people would come off it more.
Apr 16, 2014 12:50 PM

Sep 2010
ThangLong said:
murazrai said:

The way Bandai builds Love Live franchise is as meticulous and methodological as they way Sunrise builds Gundam, or the way Namco (which is part of Namco Bandai Group) builds Idolm@ster. All three are multimedia projects that can sustain itself due to capturing different segment of people and their needs. While Gundam captures males when they are young. Im@s and Love Live capture a large number of people who are idol, music, game, or anime fan.

Idol otaku is the most loyal group of the otaku culture. As long as an idol group keeps catering to their needs, they will continue to follow such group. People in the West roll their eyes at the idol culture, thinking it's too weird. However, what they don't realize is idol culture is not that far from celebrity culture that many people in the West eat up like candy. Anime idol otaku, a small sub-group of idol otaku, is by affiliation, very loyal. That's why you see im@s continues to bring huge amount of money to Namco, Columbia, and Lantis although im@s anime ended a couple years ago. People are still playing the im@s game and its online sister, CG, and watching Puchimas. However, anime idol otaku and idol otaku may not see eye-to-eye. One group prefers the purity of the 2D world while the other prefers the purity of the idol themselves.

Ghostalker said:
What I really don't understand is Kaioshin's hate for KyoAni and Shaft, I feel like he has unjustified hate for this studios, pretty much just trolling the forums for over a year now, because if you start to present statistics, numbers and facts, there is really nothing much there to support his hate.

I see, it's just that Kaioshin wants the spotlight back to sunrise because he is a fan of mecha. This is how I interpret it, moving on...not gonna involve myself to this anymore.
Apr 16, 2014 9:27 PM
Dec 2013
Gochiusa start is looking good. Puchimas getting the price boost. Mahouka dropping to 70s and Mekaku to 300s is unexpected I guess. Gotta wait for Saturday boosts.
Daimidaler, Isshuukan and NGNL doing well. Anticipating how will the ranks will look mid-season.

Love Live might go 60k and beat Nisemonogatari with these consistent ranks.
Apr 17, 2014 2:26 AM
Dec 2010
http://blog-imgs-64.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/oo_20140415193758649.jpg

Wow someone went out to buy 55 copies of Love Live S2 Vol 1 by himself.........
Apr 17, 2014 2:46 AM
Dec 2013
I think that will count as 1 copy when reported to Oricon. AKB48 fans do that when purchasing CDs. He should've made separate purchases instead.
Apr 17, 2014 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
^ No it's not. Oricon depends on the number the stores report to them. The store count is based on the number of unit going out the door. In this case, there are 55 units preordered so Gamers will add 55 to the tally. People buy many different discs of different anime all the time. No one has the time to look into each receipt to deduct duplicate buy and count "legit" purchase. There is no policy to enforce one person one disc and there will never be.

Big publishers can buy their own product to create artificial hype and then sell it out when the product starts catching on. Many books on the New York Times best seller list are marketed this way.
Apr 17, 2014 9:06 AM
Dec 2013
^ I need a valid source/link to confirm this.
Apr 17, 2014 9:43 AM

Sep 2010
hays...Love Live, I tried to watch something similar (or maybe it's this show before) but just not to my liking, if this kinds of show will be as big as what the other people are saying above, then expect more of this kind of shows in the future, pretty soon number like 70k/volume by Madoka will be irrelevant and shows with Madoka Magica caliber in the top spot will be soon be filled by idol-themed shows. I'm not against this kind of shows as I actively support Hatsune Miku and been buying figures and BDs of her, but the shift is there and I fear that I will be one of the present fans who likes the present status quo will feel alienated in the future.
Apr 17, 2014 10:46 AM

Dec 2012
volare1 said:
^ I need a valid source/link to confirm this.

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/index2.html
Oricon has a network of 30,250 stores nationwide that it can collect sale data from. Publishers, for one reason or another, would not likely to tell people how many copies they sold. To work around this, Oricon comes to all the stores to ask for that information. However, there are stores that don't want to provide sale data. Thus, Oricon's number needs to be considered as understated. But with the large number of store participating in the program, the number is probably 99% accurate.

There's a street rumor that KyoAni's shop, the one in their headquarter, does not give sale data to Oricon. It is the basis for some KyoAni's fans to argue that Oricon number significantly understates KyoAni's sale.

Ghostalker said:
hays...Love Live, I tried to watch something similar (or maybe it's this show before) but just not to my liking, if this kinds of show will be as big as what the other people are saying above, then expect more of this kind of shows in the future, pretty soon number like 70k/volume by Madoka will be irrelevant and shows with Madoka Magica caliber in the top spot will be soon be filled by idol-themed shows.

People can try to jump into idol anime business. But it is really hard to do. Most idol anime do not make it big even though there are numbers of idol anime coming out every year.

There is a reason why Namco Bandai has the monopoly in idol anime with their big three Im@s, Love Live, and Aikatsu. You need to have a big supply of songs, dances, VAs, and big money behind the production and advertising. Animating dance is very costly, even costlier than 2D animating flying robots; and you need to have tons of dances in idol anime. Many productions have to rely on CGI to cut the cost, including Love Live.
Apr 17, 2014 11:36 AM
May 2013
ThangLong said:
Animating dance is very costly, even costlier than 2D animating flying robots; and you need to have tons of dances in idol anime. Many productions have to rely on CGI to cut the cost, including Love Live.

I'm not sure that idol anime use CGI any more than other anime. I was under the impression that CGI is used for many genres.
Apr 17, 2014 11:48 AM

Nov 2011
***,*47位/***,*51位 ★ (---,--- pt) [*,**0予約] 2014/06/20 ご注文はうさぎですか? 第1巻 (イベント優先販売申込券付き 初回限定版) [Blu-ray]

One of the 'Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?' BDs makes it into the top 50. The other volume 1 BD is also in the top 100.

Apr 17, 2014 2:27 PM

Nov 2009
tsubasalover said:
Preliminary DVD & Blu-ray Sales Rankings for Winter 2014 (First Volumes)
*1. 15,441 Hoozuki no Reitetsu
*2. *7,954 Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
*3. *7,200 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
*4. *6,688 Noragami
*5. *7,171 Nisekoi
*6. *5,917 Saki: Zenkoku-hen
*7. *4,758 Witch Craft Works [BD]

Saki: Zenkoku-hen, I am proud of being in this fanbase :D
Apr 17, 2014 6:34 PM
Dec 2013

I don't see any sentences that they count individually? You just posted an introduction and a baseless rumor about Kyoani. Can I receive a better confirmation about this? Anyone?
Apr 17, 2014 6:47 PM
Oct 2012
ThangLong said:

The funny thing was that when I saw JMAL's top anime since 2000 list for the first time, I scrolled down it and my overall impression was "all these shows deserved to be here". Now this doesn't mean that I liked all those shows, but even for genres I have no taste for (idols for instance), it was clear that the idol shows that did rank high were generally the better end idol shows (just looking at the art and cd sales).

So I never had a bug up my behind about KyoAni or Shaft, the ones that were up there were very well done and deserved to be up there. So once again, even if I perhaps did not like the genre (dating sims as anime), I had to admit that of all the "dating sims as anime" the better ones succeeded.

The only exception I have found though is Infinite Stratos, cannot for the love of me figure out why this second tier harem/robot series was so popular. Must be a generational thing I missed out on.
Apr 17, 2014 11:09 PM

Dec 2012
volare1 said:

I don't see any sentences that they count individually? You just posted an introduction and a baseless rumor about Kyoani. Can I receive a better confirmation about this? Anyone?

Ok, I thought you were asking me to prove that Oricon uses information reported from the stores. However, it seems that you were asking the proof for a basic logic.

First of all, you put forth a speculation that Oricon may count this 55-copy purchase as one because it was put in one invoice; and you also gave the example that AKB fans buying multiple copies that somehow can support your theory. Thus, you need to provide proof that it was indeed what happened, especially instance where Oricon threw out AKB's number because of fans' multiple purchase.

Second, I gave you the fact about Oricon's methodology in gathering data to tell you that Oricon does not have control over number each store give them. They can suspect if a small store in Hokkaido reports 10,000 sale for Love Live. But without obvious red flag like that, they have to trust and use the store's data. So if you want to look for proof that Oricon may count this 55-copy purchase as one, you have to look for precedent in which Gamers actually did that.

Third, and the most important, you ask me to prove that Oricon counts individually for something that has counting "individually" in its definition. Let's look at this example: you are asked to count how many lemon was sold at the market today. Person A bought 10; person B bought 5; person C bought 2. Do you give your supervisor the total count of 17 lemons sold, or do you give him 3? What is the purpose of Oricon's existence if it does not provide the actual number?

Fourth, even if you speculate your theory on the ground that people may use sale data for popularity contest, and that they want to measure how large the fanbase is with sale. Putting aside the fact that sale is often meaningless in measuring how many people have watched, enjoyed, or are fans of a particular show (many people buy a show for the cheap price and the extras. As an extreme example, Aniplex can put a gold coin in each Blu-ray and see Mekaku's sale reaching hundreds of thousand, or Bandai can price Love Live's Blu-ray at $1,000 a pop to see only a handful of people buying the disc). Don't equate sale with popularity poll on the internet where proxies are actively hunted down to make sure one person one vote. Counting sale does not work like that because popularity contest is not the purpose of reporting sale (it is done to tell people whether a show is making money or not), even though the fanbase has made it as such.

Fifth and final point, let's say after all of my writing above, you still believe in your speculation and that somehow in order to measure the popularity of the show, bulk purchase is not allowed. Then let's me ask you this, who will make the determination that this guy bought 55 copies just for himself? What if his college friends in Okinawa asked him to buy for all of them because Gamers gives exclusive extras for buying LL in-store? What if he is a business person and will take apart all the components to resale them separately, earning a nice profit in the process? What if he bought many LL's discs as gifts for people? Who will make that judgement about the purpose of his purchase but not himself? Oricon, Gamers, the salesclerk or you and me? How do you maintain the idea of measuring popularity by making an arbitrary decision?
ThangLongApr 18, 2014 2:06 AM
Apr 18, 2014 9:48 PM

Oct 2007
I just want to offer the opinion that buying 55 of the same product seems kind of ridiculous.
ThangLong said:

There is a reason why Namco Bandai has the monopoly in idol anime with their big three Im@s, Love Live, and Aikatsu. You need to have a big supply of songs, dances, VAs, and big money behind the production and advertising. Animating dance is very costly, even costlier than 2D animating flying robots; and you need to have tons of dances in idol anime. Many productions have to rely on CGI to cut the cost, including Love Live.

I'm starting to get the impression that not much happens in the Japanese otaku entertainment industry (Anime, books, games, music, toys, figurines, models etc.) anymore without Namco Bandai Holdings and/or Aniplex having some say and giving the go ahead for it. Their positions right now kind of remind me of a shadow council or mafioso quietly but also to some extent openly dictating the course of trends and the flow of capital, who succeeds and who fails and taking a huge cut of any profits that result.

When you read Namco Bandai's manifesto in particular they talk a lot about their goals of total domination and controlling interest in media entertainment and arts with the aim of becoming the number 1 content provider and what's more they seem closer and closer to achieving it in a number of areas with each passing year. People can read it here. It's pretty blatant and would be more than a little scary to me if I didn't feel that they sort of get me as a fan on some level more than most, but is still kind of scary since I don't like monopolies much period.

I think Thanglong is right, the company is scary organized and on a very clear mission, however that's hardly a guarantee for sustained and everlasting success. A good example is Square which at the turn of the century looked poised to graduate to the level of content domination that Namco Bandai Holdings now enjoys, but the single failure of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within single handedly changed their fortunes over night, forcing a merger with Enix that neither party wanted, but which was ultimately necessary and things have never quite been the same for the entity known as Square Enix since.
PeacingOutApr 18, 2014 9:56 PM
Apr 19, 2014 2:55 AM
Nov 2013
So many "industry experts" in this thread writing long essays and not providing a valid source. Step up guys. Symbv might be rolling in his grave.
Apr 19, 2014 4:55 AM

Feb 2009
5chan said:
So many "industry experts" in this thread writing long essays and not providing a valid source. Step up guys. Symbv might be rolling in his grave.
>Last login is 2 months ago
RIP symbv.
Apr 19, 2014 7:37 AM

Sep 2012
belatkuro said:
5chan said:
RIP symbv.
Before rumours go any further... Symbv is alive and well, simply busy.
Apr 19, 2014 8:54 AM
May 2013
hpulley said:
belatkuro said:
5chan said:
RIP symbv.
Before rumours go any further... Symbv is alive and well, simply busy.

Although he might be a monk. Unconfirmed and I don't have any sources, but if anyone sees a monk with Evangelion merchandise walking around...
Apr 19, 2014 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
For those interested, all the NND ratings from the 1st episodes that are scheduled on NND are now up. episode 1 of M3 will be re-broadcast though.
link to images of the NND ratings

Its no surprise that the sequels are on top.

Apr 19, 2014 9:06 AM
May 2013
rederoin said:
For those interested, all the NND ratings from the 1st episodes that are scheduled on NND are now up. episode 1 of M3 will be re-broadcast though.
link to images of the NND ratings

Its no surprise that they sequels are on top.

So annoying. There are people who have already seen the first 2 episodes of M3 (at an event) and I haven't even seen 1...

Also, wow gogo Sidonia on stalker lol. Be interesting to see how the sales for M3, Captain Earth, and Sidonia turn out. I'd like to see at least one of those do well (or even all =P) and at this early stage it seems like Sidonia has the edge.
Apr 19, 2014 9:27 AM

Nov 2008
Blade and Soul's ratings are dreadful but I heard it is a pretty terrible adaptation of the game, I'm surprised Mekaku City Actors got low ratings, but it's an obvious victim of too much hype.

Apr 19, 2014 9:33 AM
May 2013
Hoppy said:
Blade and Soul's ratings are dreadful but I heard it is a pretty terrible adaptation of the game, I'm surprised Mekaku City Actors got low ratings, but it's an obvious victim of too much hype.

I've been on Gonzo's side in the past, and I don't think they deserve to be singled out for hatred among anime studios. That aside, what were they thinking when they decided to animate Blade and Soul?! Maybe the game company paid them a lot to adapt it...
HahalollawlApr 19, 2014 9:37 AM
Apr 19, 2014 9:43 AM

Nov 2008
Hahalollawl said:
Hoppy said:

I've been on Gonzo's side in the past, and I don't think they deserve to be singled out for hatred among anime studios. That aside, what were they thinking when they decided to animate Blade and Soul?! Maybe the game company paid them a lot to adapt it...

There's also the possibility the anime is being used as promotion to get more people to play the game, I doubt it's doing a good job of attracting new players unlike Zettai Bouei Leviathan and Fantasista Doll.

Apr 19, 2014 10:47 AM

Jun 2012
5chan said:

This guy is actually a alt account of symbv.
Apr 19, 2014 11:12 AM
Dec 2010
Hoppy said:

http://blog-imgs-64.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/65464_20140420003322bda.jpg

Ratings for second episode of Mekaku. Also notice the huge drop in viewership numbers from 300K last week.
Apr 19, 2014 11:13 AM

Nov 2011
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlmoeNyCIAAzKLO.jpg:large

Just when I thougth 'Blade & Soul' would have the worst rated episode, episode 2 of 'mekaku city actors' gets an even lower NND rating. Only 40.4% liked it. That puts it among the worst rated episodes on NND.

Apr 19, 2014 11:16 AM

Sep 2011
man im really surprised at how negatively received it is

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
4 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
7 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
8 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.