Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:32 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really, really love this episode. Ironically enough, it's also the source of controversy that started Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Despite the fact that both productions involve girls with a pendants, nerdy heroes, and underground paradises, the two are otherwise unconnected.

That issue aside, this is a must-see episode. In addition to having a very satisfying character interaction from the lead characters (for once, Nadia puts aside her black-and-white views of the world to comfort Jean, who has recently learned about his father's fate), we are given a few hints of history about the Atlanteans (as well as a few hints of Nemo's character and his difficulty communicating with Nadia), and yes, we do get to visit the underwater realm itself. This area, a gloomy, desolate landscape of ruins beneath a pink watery sky, literally bursts with imagination and creativity.
JTurnerJan 17, 2008 5:13 PM
Dec 16, 2009 8:54 PM

Feb 2009
A slow, but very deep and reflective episode, I really liked. I clearly saw elements in this episode present in other Gainax productions, Gunbuster and Evangelion.
Dec 22, 2013 11:53 PM

Jun 2010
A very good episode, but I think it's too easy to have forgotten all about Jean's father. When was the last time he was mentioned? Wasn't it very early in the series? Over ten episodes ago? It could have stood to keep up some pressure on how important it was to Jean to keep thinking that his father was alive.
Mar 15, 2014 4:11 PM

Jan 2011
Overall, I liked it except I wish that it focused less on Nadia. That girl, she really annoys me to no end because of her tantrums. It's fine that she believes what she believes but why lash out all the time against others who do not live by her beliefs? I hope she improves because I can only take this show in small doses because of her. I think she's the only character I cannot seem to sympathize with because of her self-centered behavior.
Mar 15, 2014 4:36 PM
Jan 2008
Taylor_elle said:
Overall, I liked it except I wish that it focused less on Nadia. That girl, she really annoys me to no end because of her tantrums. It's fine that she believes what she believes but why lash out all the time against others who do not live by her beliefs? I hope she improves because I can only take this show in small doses because of her. I think she's the only character I cannot seem to sympathize with because of her self-centered behavior.

Watch episodes 17, 19, 31, and 35. She gets better there. That said, SKIP episodes 23-34. She gets worse there.
Apr 6, 2014 2:59 AM

Apr 2012
This and episode 15 were really fantastic.
Aug 20, 2016 3:46 PM

Jun 2016
Wow, that was incredibly well done. Fantastic mourning episode which are really easy to mess up.
Jun 24, 2017 5:50 AM

Feb 2016
My only complaint is the complete disappearance of Marie and King. Trust me... I would prefer they were not even there in the first place, but it just doesn't make any sense for them to be completely ignored in this episode. At least have them in the background at one point.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 23, 2017 11:19 PM

May 2016
1) Woah, this series has taken a dark turn. The last two episodes were hardcore.

2) The dub freaked me out during the opening of Atlantis' gates.

3) I am ashamed to admit that I didn't understand why Nadia had to pick that flower. Usually I pick those things up immediately, and it really sounded like that should be obvious. Can anyone explain that to me?
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Sep 23, 2017 11:29 PM
Jan 2008
Lease_of_Life said:

Why? Because of the moaning voices of the dead? If so, that's intentional. Nemo is supposed to be enduring the voices of the people who have died during his struggle with Gargoyle. He's grief-stricken by the whole thing. I feel this shows that while Nemo may seem to be a hard-headed, aloof man, he also has a conscience.
Sep 23, 2017 11:34 PM

May 2016
JTurner said:
Lease_of_Life said:

Why? Because of the moaning voices of the dead? If so, that's intentional. Nemo is supposed to be enduring the voices of the people who have died during his struggle with Gargoyle. He's grief-stricken by the whole thing. I feel this shows that while Nemo may seem to be a hard-headed, aloof man, he also has a conscience.

I know it was intentional.
That was a compliment.
Not only the voices - what Nemo said as he was ordering the gates to open... It was all extremely effective.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Sep 23, 2017 11:47 PM
Jan 2008
Lease_of_Life said:
JTurner said:

I know it was intentional.
That was a compliment.
Not only the voices - what Nemo said as he was ordering the gates to open... It was all extremely effective.

The folks at Monster Island (who are sadly no more) would be very, very pleased to hear you say that. From what I've read, this dub was clearly a labor of love for everyone involved, and it shows. From the kids to the Grandis gang to the adults... it just feels very well suited to the show. Gargoyle was the only voice I initially had trouble with and Nemo, but I got accustomed to both around this point in the show.

Critics have made the mistake of writing off the dub due to the sometimes inconsistent accents, but the charm of the actors' delivery makes up for that IMO. Very happy to hear you're enjoying the dub! :)
Nov 24, 2017 12:33 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I hardly remembered this excellent episode. So poignant. And Atlantis is such a bleak and desolate place.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 28, 2018 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
Episode dedicated to psychological introspection and as a moment of meditation to understand the ephemeral nature of human life. The narration is very touching, and seasoned with unexpected twists that makes the verse unequivocally to "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne.
May 21, 2018 6:53 PM

May 2012
Best episode yet to be honest, really just love the episode while feeling a real deep emotional sadness to it... looking how Atlantis was and now is, was just magnificent really would love to know more about that time to be honest as it always gets to me when it comes to highly evolved civilisations!

Really thoughtful episode and one that actually captures death, even for a side character with barely to no screen time, some really proper respect and now we finally got a confirmation of the death of Jean's father by a Garfish...

Real great episode and looking forwards to see what's next.
Nov 26, 2018 9:46 AM

Oct 2008
Lease_of_Life said:
3) I am ashamed to admit that I didn't understand why Nadia had to pick that flower. Usually I pick those things up immediately, and it really sounded like that should be obvious. Can anyone explain that to me?

It was an offering to the dead and was placed in the casket.
Aug 31, 2019 3:30 PM

Aug 2017
Wow, what a great episode. Lots of mysteries there. But I didn't quite understand how did the crew manage to go to Atlantis, didn't they leave "Nautilus" in a place that was clearly surrounded by water? How is this separated from Atlantis, which has fresh air?
Apr 16, 2020 12:24 AM

Jan 2014
Absolutely incredible episode and the atmosphere throughout it was phenomenal!

As we get a funeral to lay to rest Mr. Fait and the two other crew members who died last episode now Nemo said they are laying them to rest in their homeland which is Atlantis I do not know if they are descendants of actual citizens of the fallen empire or just honorary ones as the crew seems to have members from all over the world.

I really liked the framing device that was given to Nadia and the conversations she had with everyone hoping to find some answers it really highlighted her introspective, troubled and quiet demeanor this episode while giving us some insight (and more questions) while saving time. Also, her questioning did not come off as confrontational or one sided instead you could really see her point of view and she did not demonize Nemo for his answers certainly looks like she has been growing in her understanding of this crazy world!

I loved the sound effects they used approaching the entrance of Atlantis (the body structure of which reminds me of a certain other work by Hideaki; in fact I see quite a few trademarks of his in this episode he will use in Neon Genesis Evangelion) and when those voices started to swell and overlap it was unnerving, chilling and very effective to the mood! Nemo's VA Akio Ootsuka delivery of the phrase to open the passageway was especially great in my opinion.

This whole episode was trippy as well as the funeral procession descended the original Tower of Babel from the melted decimated structures of what was Atlantis from the stadium like graveyard. It seems certain technologies possibly centuries ahead of their time still work in this place even with it no longer being a habitable civilization with preventing water from seeping in and generating oxygen.

I really did enjoy how Jean and Nadia comforted and heard each other out as best they could. We also get confirmation that Jean's Father perished at sea as told by Mr. Eiko the sole survivor of that shipwreck we learn was caused by the Neo Atlanians a shock certainly but I think Jean while thinking it was unlikely still had a shred of hope he was still alive but now that small silver lining has been severed. However, I agree that his desire to find his Father should have been mentioned at least a few other times before this episode to really emphasize the impact. However, seeing Jean head off by himself disillusioned without his high spirited philosophy to help him in this time as he tossed his wrench was still a powerful moment. I especially loved Nadia helping to pull Jean back from his disillusionment by misquoting his own philosophy back at him and him correcting her with a smile seems they have found new purpose with the people of the Nautilus and reminded each other that they live and keep going forward for one another without having to say it out loud!

The laying of the flower and the lowering of the coffins while seeing everyone's reaction was an excellent note to end on because even in darkness a small bit of light can still survive and blossom! Really enjoyed this heavy episode immensely!

Sep 3, 2020 4:08 PM
May 2020
This has to be one of the standard examples of how Atlantis should be shown in a film.
If anyone thought that the crew of the Nautilus didn't care for the deaths of their crew members... WELL THEY WERE WRONG! You can't receive a more honorable funeral!
Also, I find it sad that Jean had to hang out with these guys for weeks to find out that they already knew about his dad's death.
Still, I am impressed with Nadia! Ignoring the focus put on the "Blue Water" (lame name), it was great how not condescending she was during Jean's existential crisis. I was expecting her to say "I told you so", but she instead provided the positive reinforcement that was needed.
Jan 22, 2021 5:25 PM

Feb 2012
Nadia's flashbacks of talking to the other crew members were chilling. I am really seeing one of Evangelion's roots here. But I hope this means Nadia can change her view of others easier.

Since leaving the island arc, we've reached Atlantis and are back to more worldbuilding.

So... what is the Tower of Babel's actual non-combat purpose? To create? For the souls of the dead?

Jean has it tough, learning the fate of his father, reminds me of Noriko in Gunbuster.

Re: The Flower, Jean stopped her and she hesitated because it was a living thing, but the reason she "had to take it" was not personal gain but as a gift to the deceased sailors.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 28, 2021 4:39 PM
Apr 2020
Wonderful episode. Before, we've always thought of the Nautilus as this really large submarine but in the scene where it comes through the giant gates of Atlantis it looks so small in comparison. Then the beautiful landscape of what once was a lively place. The amount of graves and the area they make up puts the story onto a much larger scale than I initially thought. I'm interested to see how much Jean's father was involved in all this.
I really like the message at the funeral that you should always see the light in darkness but also think of the darkness in times of light.
Everything is ephemeral. Nothing lasts forever. Cherish each day that you live, it might be your last one.
Jun 13, 2022 12:13 AM

Feb 2021
Nice episode, the atmosphere of the ruins of Atlantis was well done

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.