Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Aug 22, 2015 7:09 PM

Aug 2015
Yes, mostly.

Loved Madoka Magica and Saya no Uta. Hated Psycho Pass.
Aug 22, 2015 7:36 PM

Jul 2013
imouto4oniichan said:
His ideas are good. Sometimes he excels in story buildup and plot progression. But his character writing are weak in general. Basically he depends too much on theme and atmosphere of a story.

You phrased it better than I did. Basically his works are mostly plot-driven hence his boring characters.
Aug 22, 2015 7:59 PM

May 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
MiChocoFudge said:
I hate people who look like gropers in train especially those collaborating with the stoopid director of shaft that resulted with an abomination movie called rebellion (not sorry for my bad english)

I think I read somewhere that the twist in Rebellion wasn't Urobuchi's idea.

OT: I love Urobutcher but I gotta agree that he's overrated as fvck. He writes interesting stories but his characters are so plain and boring.

But because of this akiyuki shinbo (director of shaft) who gave the groper the idea and only cares about money, they come up with this depressing shit.
quit jacking off on your waifu, you disgusting weaboo
Aug 22, 2015 8:01 PM

Jun 2014
All I've seen of his are Saya no Uta, Aldnoah Zero, and Madoka Magica.

Saya no Uta is clearly his best work, don't know how Fate/Zero is, still haven't read it.
Aug 22, 2015 8:03 PM

Apr 2014
Id say he is pretty much shit

pyscho pass was good
madoka was saved by shaft animation
fate zero is probably his best

other than that he is shit in terms of concepts and doesnt know how to write a character to save his life.

his recent works are either abadoned or hes just credited as the creator with no input to the anime adaption.
Aug 22, 2015 10:23 PM

Jun 2015
I like Saya no Uta, same with Psycho Pass and Aldnoah.Zero. But Psycho Pass 2, Aldnoah.Zero 2 and Madoka were....bad.
Aug 22, 2015 10:27 PM

Oct 2011
Pyscho Pass 1 is his high point.
Aug 22, 2015 10:28 PM

Jan 2014
I dont understand why he is so popular, he only written two notable stuff, Fate Zero and Madoka Magica.
All of his other work, Gargantia, Expelled from Paradise, and Aldnoah, aren't really that good and aren;t that popular.
Psycho Pass is a mixed biag imo. I loved first season, but he ditched second season and that turned out meh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2015 3:56 AM

Mar 2014
If his other works are as cringeworthy and boring as the first six episodes of Madoka Magica then no
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 23, 2015 4:01 AM

Feb 2015
I loved Psycho Pass ( PP 2 is not done by him if i recall right because it was much weaker)
Madoka on other hand was 1 of most pain to watch due to cringeworthy repeating of same dialogue esp madoka herself, dont get me started on ep 9-12 those were some of the cheap worst ass pulls ever.
Aug 23, 2015 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
Exowave said:
I loved Psycho Pass ( PP 2 is not done by him if i recall right because it was much weaker)
Madoka on other hand was 1 of most pain to watch due to cringeworthy repeating of same dialogue esp madoka herself, dont get me started on ep 9-12 those were some of the cheap worst ass pulls ever.
Madoka's personality is about as three-dimensional as a piece of paper being ironed while being run over with a steamroller made of pancakes, as a wise man once said

She doesn't irritate me as much as that disgusting cat-rabbit thingy though. I hope he'll get killed off very soon
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 23, 2015 4:14 AM

Jan 2014
PP his weakest work
Aug 23, 2015 4:17 AM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Madoka's personality is about as three-dimensional as a piece of paper being ironed while being run over with a steamroller made of pancakes, as a wise man once said

She doesn't irritate me as much as that disgusting cat-rabbit thingy though. I hope he'll get killed off very soon

You got that right on Madoka, still almost everyone from cast sucks it is not her only, but since we are forced to watch her indecisive face most of the tine yeah.... not pleasant.

Yeah Kyubey thing is very iritanting too esp i dislike that it is basically emotionless even face does not move because technically it communicates with mind signals only D:
Aug 23, 2015 4:20 AM

Apr 2014
feardb said:
PP his weakest work
not his weakest but its no where near as good as people make it be, i couldn't remember anyone's name besides kogami's and akane's.
Aug 23, 2015 4:25 AM

Feb 2015
Saya no Uta(atleast the VN) is his best work...period

The others are hit and miss.

Rider in FZ was good,,the rest felt more like cardboard drawn characters that eventually played their part and dissappeared

Madoka opening couple of episodes weren't that good but the series had a very good ending.

The rest are pretty forgettable tbh.

He has this habit of trying to cover up some shallow/loose concept/presentation by making it unnecessarily grim
laidellentAug 23, 2015 4:30 AM
Aug 23, 2015 4:26 AM

Jan 2014
fairygood said:
feardb said:
PP his weakest work
not his weakest but its no where near as good as people make it be, i couldn't remember anyone's name besides kogami's and akane's.

Its not about characters its all about plot and logic. Last 2 ep look like another hollywood braindead show
Aug 23, 2015 4:27 AM
Jan 2015
I love his work.
Fate zero, psycho pass S1 , gargantia , phantom.
I love these shows cause they are dark and written really well and that's all I need
Aug 23, 2015 4:37 AM

Mar 2014
Exowave said:
You got that right on Madoka, still almost everyone from cast sucks it is not her only, but since we are forced to watch her indecisive face most of the tine yeah.... not pleasant.
Yeah lmao, red head gurl seems slightly better than the rest of the cast but other than that I am just like nope.jpg

It's mind-blowing how Madoka has over 2300 favorites and
has over 1700 while cute girls that actually have interesting personalities like Rise from Persona 4 and Ringo from Mawaru Penguindrum have less than 400 favs – yes, I know Madoka is a more well-known series but still
Yeah Kyubey thing is very iritanting too esp i dislike that it is basically emotionless even face does not move because technically it communicates with mind signals only D:
:3:3:3:3

So annoying
Nico- said:
Aug 23, 2015 7:33 AM

Jul 2013
I like his works but the last works weren't very good (Expelled from Paradise and The movie of psycho -pass).
I recommend the remake of Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer and saya no uta which are an interesting reading for the people who have only whached his anime.
Aug 23, 2015 7:34 AM

May 2012
If i had Death Note, i'll kill Urobutcher and his retarded fans
sorry for my bad English
Aug 23, 2015 7:52 AM
May 2015
-hydro said:
RLinksoul said:
To quote TV Tropes

[ Urobuchi Gen is all about angsty sad stories. He is also definitely on the side of those who consider happy stories to be unrealistic, to the point where he has suggested that Lighter and Softer stories, by definition, contradict the laws of nature and are therefore difficult to write and impossible to believe.

"I have nothing but contempt for the deceitful thing men call 'happiness', and find myself with no choice but to push my characters, whom I pour my heart and soul out to create, into the abyss of tragedy." ]

If this is true, than I can't say I have a lot of respect for the guy. I don't believe there's anything more "real" about a story ending tragically, and it's pretty unsatisfying when everything the story has built up is for nothing.

If he is indeed getting over his "tragedy syndrome" than more power to him.

Yeah I don't agree with the stuff he says here, but I did like Fate/Zero. And as that's all I've seen from his works, he's 1/1 so far.

Same here, I don't agree with his world view, he seems very cynical and jaded about life. But people who are of his mindset are often great storytellers and artists.

Psycho Pass, Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero are brilliant stories. What he pumps out is entertaining, intelligent and well written.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Aug 23, 2015 7:57 AM
May 2015
Exowave said:
Comic_Sans said:

Hmm...

I wouldn't say Madoka Magica is really about Madoka herself, the others get more attention than her.

With Kyubey being emotionless and not understanding human emotions: To more or less quote SF Debris, Kyubey is a pathological liar who certainly does understand human emotions. He consistently shows an expert understanding of human emotions.

I always interpreted Kyubey as an entity that's inhabiting an object so to speak, hence his face not moving. Like a demon of sorts possessing another body.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Aug 23, 2015 8:06 AM

Nov 2014
All this Madoka hate :3
fite me bitches

OT: I liked PMMM, Fate/Zero, and Psycho Pass. Some say most of his works are bad but I haven't watched them yet, plus from what I heard most of the things that are hated weren't even mainly written by him other than a few episodes.

Aug 23, 2015 8:10 AM
Sep 2011
Fizix said:
With Kyubey being emotionless and not understanding human emotions: To more or less quote SF Debris, Kyubey is a pathological liar who certainly does understand human emotions. He consistently shows an expert understanding of human emotions.

This line from episode 4 always puzzled me.
Aug 23, 2015 8:15 AM

Nov 2014
RLinksoul said:
Fizix said:

This line from episode 4 always puzzled me.
nah
see bolded part
He may not have emotions, but nonetheless he understands them. He consistently tries to imitate emotions and tries to understand it, as shown in episode 11 where Madoka and Kyubey talk.
He probably means it as him

But hey, it's a little thing. Even if what I'm saying is bullshit, a writer makes mistakes on a narrative, no matter how good they are.

Aug 23, 2015 8:27 AM
Sep 2011
AzureDaora said:

But hey, it's a little thing. Even if what I'm saying is bullshit, a writer makes mistakes on a narrative, no matter how good they are.

Nah I get what you're saying. Kyubey doesn't feel emotions, but he knows how to fake and manipulate them to get the girls to do what he wants. He did sound really panicked at the end of episode 3 when he was telling them to make their wishes quickly.
Aug 23, 2015 8:52 AM

Jan 2013
edgy is my life fuel so y i love his work
Aug 23, 2015 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
I like his stuff. Psycho Pass was kind of weak (Apparently all the pretentious literary references were Fukami's doing though so I can't blame him for that) but the movie was pretty good. I gave Fate/Zero S2, Madoka and Madoka Rebellion a 10 so I definitely can't say I dislike the guy.

Really need to get around to Saya no Uta some day. But I want to wait until the time is right.

15poundfish said:
The script writer of Futari no Ecchi is a superior writer to Ken Urobuchi. It is not a joke.
Yeah, fuck that Ken guy whoever he is.
Aug 23, 2015 9:31 AM

Nov 2014
SeibaaHomu said:

15poundfish said:
The script writer of Futari no Ecchi is a superior writer to Ken Urobuchi. It is not a joke.

bruh

don't go h8in on Ken urobuchi bruh

Aug 23, 2015 10:28 AM
May 2015
I'm on a phone so can't multi quote. But what I meant was that Kyubey lies constantly, SF Debris' analysis was really good and highlighted how and where. He may not feel but he claims not to understand human emotions, but he demonstrates that he does and constantly uses them to manipulate and play the girls.

Aug 23, 2015 10:35 AM

Aug 2014
He's ok. I watched two of his shows and they are alright. They didn't blow me away, but they are far from bad. But it feels like he can't really write characters all that much.
F/Z had a diverse cast, but felt underused and some left the stage early. Rider remained until the end and he is the best grill, tho.
Madoka had fun twists so I don't mind the characters too much.
Aug 23, 2015 10:40 AM
Jun 2015
AzureDaora said:
SeibaaHomu said:

bruh

don't go h8in on Ken urobuchi bruh

Never, Ken urobuchi is nowhere near as good as Hideyoshi anno.
Aug 23, 2015 10:48 AM
Sep 2011
15poundfish said:

Never, Ken urobuchi is nowhere near as good as Hideyoshi anno.

Guys, please. Everyone knows Hayate Miyazaki is the best anime writer.
Aug 23, 2015 10:51 AM

Aug 2014
The man gave us Fate/Zero

But Im not a fan of his other works.
Aug 23, 2015 11:25 AM
Jun 2015
Yes, psycho-pass is one of my favorite anime period. And I think madoka is really well-thought deconstruction of magical girl genre
Aug 23, 2015 5:07 PM

Dec 2014
Yea, they definitely make you think about the anime when watching it. So yea I believe so.
Aug 23, 2015 6:30 PM

Oct 2009
I respect him for being really different with his stories, but yeah "sadness for the sake of sadness" isn't a good way of writing -- it's about how characters come back from that that makes those kinds of stories really good.

Saya no Uta is his best work and is actually a pretty convincing love story despite... well you know.

I do think he's way overrated though.
Aug 24, 2015 12:32 AM

Dec 2013
I like Gen Urobutcher (:D) and his stories specially Fate Zero.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - Yesterday

13 by animejas »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

69 by Strahan »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

67 by Piromysl »»
3 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - Yesterday

12 by Chufal »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

16 by animejas »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.