Forum Settings
Forums

Do your parents ever ask about/make fun of your anime?

New
Jan 11, 2008 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
I bring this up because my Mom's boyfriend saw me watching anime on my bed and he just heard the Japanese vocals looked over at the "cartoon" and said "Why do you always watch that Pokemon shit?" My reaction was a typical teen outburst and I tried explaining what I was watching but he wouldn't listen. >_>

And my Dad always asks me things like "Is that a game or something?" Lol

Parents don't get it..
Pages (39) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2008 9:25 PM

Jul 2007
"Nip Nong Ching Chong Fong"

Sam is my sweet peach
Jan 11, 2008 9:25 PM

Oct 2007
I remember watching an episode of Mazinkaiser with my mom. She doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
Jan 11, 2008 9:26 PM
Jan 2008
My mom always asks why I'm watching "those Chinese cartoons." No matter how many times I tell her it's Japanese, she insists on saying "Chinese." I watch anime with headphones on, but when I watch Ninja Warrior on G4, my mom always makes fun of the commentator trying to immitate him. It's pretty annoying, it's like she doesn't respect the language.
Jan 11, 2008 9:27 PM

Mar 2007
Well, I don't live with my parents anymore, but they don't mind too much that I am so into it, even though they don't quite understand. My mom doesn't like watching it mainly due to the art style. She is an artist, and the weird proportions and stylistic faces drive her crazy. My dad has watched anime with me before, but this is very rare because I pretty much only watch subs, and he can't quite handle strange subtitled things :) If I watched dubbed anime, he would probably watch with me more. :) They can't believe how much money I spend on it :)
Jan 11, 2008 9:32 PM

Feb 2007
My Parents are completely fine with my anime watching habits. My mum occasionally likes to watch Studio Ghibli films with me and my sister, and my dad likes the Japanese culture (he went there in the 1980's), and he has a couple close friends in Japan.
Jan 11, 2008 9:34 PM
Dec 2007
oneandonliee said:
My mom always asks why I'm watching "those Chinese cartoons." No matter how many times I tell her it's Japanese, she insists on saying "Chinese." I watch anime with headphones on, but when I watch Ninja Warrior on G4, my mom always makes fun of the commentator trying to immitate him. It's pretty annoying, it's like she doesn't respect the language.
Haha, so damn true. I just put it on full volume. Want some 'Chinese" ? Get some "chinese". I really don't mind if they mock it, they are just foolish.

Jan 11, 2008 9:35 PM

Jul 2007
My Mother's thoughts: "Omg... another childish obsession. Why can't you grow up and be responsible?"

My Dad's Girlfriend's thoughts: "You're not obsessed with those anime are you? It seems so childish to me!"

My Dad's thoughts are probably along the same lines as my mom's.

All in all, if they were REALLY bothered by my obsessions (or in this case, anime), then there would have been an intervention a while ago, I think :p
Jan 11, 2008 9:41 PM

Jul 2007
My dad laughs at how japanese people talk in anime...
That one time not too long ago i was watching Gunbuster with some friends while my mom was on the computer, and she said "That reminds me of that Sailor Moon thing you used to watch". She saw after that it was quite different from Sailor moon...

Otherwise my parents really don't mind, and are sometimes interested by some of the weird stories/concepts in some anime(they went WTF when i explained the story of Death Note to them). I'm sure if i tried i could get them to watch certain series/movies. Also, my parents saw 1 anime movie i didn't(but i plan on doing so soon) : Grave of the fireflies, and i think my mom liked it.
Jan 11, 2008 9:46 PM

Oct 2007
jobocan said:
That one time not too long ago i was watching Gunbuster with some friends while my mom was on the computer, and she said "That reminds me of that Sailor Moon thing you used to watch". She saw after that it was quite different from Sailor moon...
Was it the fanservice?
Jan 11, 2008 9:50 PM
Jan 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
jobocan said:
Was it the fanservice?
Fanservice? Doko?!
Jan 11, 2008 9:51 PM

Nov 2004
Parents think it is kind of childish, but accept that it is a step above from say, we watching Spongebob Squarepants all the time. That and because watching anime is pretty common in South East Asia (well there are a lot of fans), it's slowly becoming as acceptable as.... other pop culture entertainment.
Jan 11, 2008 9:53 PM

Jul 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:
Was it the fanservice?

That, and some of the violent scenes.
Jan 11, 2008 9:55 PM

Oct 2007
oneandonliee said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
jobocan said:
Was it the fanservice?
Fanservice? Doko?!
It's a pretty old series, and not really worth fapping to. But of course, if you want something to fap to, pr0n might be the best solution for you.

jobocan said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
Was it the fanservice?

That, and some of the violent scenes.
I didn't exactly find it to be violent, IMO.
Jan 11, 2008 10:00 PM
Jan 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
It's a pretty old series, and not really worth fapping to. But of course, if you want something to fap to, pr0n might be the best solution for you.
I've seen Gunbuster. The only fanservice I remember is from Diebuster, though.
Jan 11, 2008 10:19 PM
Nov 2007
My dad makes fun of the facial expressions. It's really hard to say "But the best animes don't have those retarded facial expressions!" because Higurashi is like the poster child of distorted faces. XD He also likes to imitate Japanese speech and fail horribly.

He's been to Japan several times however and likes the culture and food, so all this is just to piss me off.

My mom is pretty indifferent to it. She likes the J-pop music and some of the artwork, I haven't watched anything with her, but I should show her some Ghlibli stuff or something non-violent, maybe she'd like that XD She just keeps telling me that when I draw I shouldn't focus on anime all the time.

Jan 11, 2008 10:24 PM

Jun 2007
oneandonliee said:
The only fanservice I remember is from Diebuster, though.

The bath scene with entirely naked Jung didn't make much of an impression on you, I gather?

I remember when I was younger watching NGE. My mom walked in during the Shinji/Kaouru scene. I think she thought I was gay for awhile.
Jan 11, 2008 10:25 PM

Nov 2007
My Dad seems to enjoy Miyazaki type stuff, but he hasn't really seen much else. He used to watch DBZ, and Sailor Moon with me back when I was little, and he'd pretend to like it, but was obviously lying.

My Mom's never really said much about anime. When I first started watching DBZ, and she finally found out what it was her response was "OH, it's one of those STUPID Japanese cartoons!", which I appreciated, but that was a long time ago, and she hasn't really said anything since. At the very least she respects it enough that she occasionally considers getting some for the library she works at, but never gets much further than that.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.
Jan 11, 2008 10:27 PM

Jul 2007
MagicalEmi said:
They can't believe how much money I spend on it :)

That one right there. ^.^

Other than that, they really don't care. They don't get it, but then I never watch it around them anymore anyway. My dad did watch some stuff with me in Toonami's old Monday thru Friday days (Tenchi, Outlaw Star). I keep trying to get him into GitS:SAC, which I know he'd like, but no dice.

I do have to correct my mom on the Japanese=/=Chinese thing, though. Eh, oh well. :)
Jan 11, 2008 10:29 PM

Oct 2007
jorgzimmer said:
oneandonliee said:

The bath scene with entirely naked Jung didn't make much of an impression on you, I gather?
There was much more than that. Hell, GAINAX even managed to sneak some in during a fight scene.
Jan 11, 2008 10:33 PM

Aug 2007
Parents don't like anime, though they don't dislike it. I usually don't talk about it much with them, though they do know I can understand Japanese some, and whenever we go to a Japanese restaurant they want me to order for them in Japanese lulz.

My uncle on the other hand likes anime somewhat (granted he's stationed in Japan up until he retires from the Air Force.)

Parents are more into Asian Dramas of many languages, though they prefer Filipino ones, as they understand/speak Tagalog.
Jan 11, 2008 10:35 PM

Nov 2007
Lately I've been watching anime a lot more than I have been playing videogames. My mom will always say "you've been playing on that game all day so take a break" but I was actually just watching amine all day. It happens alot. I don't even think my parents even know what anime is. When ever i'm listening to J-pop or such they think im listening to chinese music. Why do they always think it's chinese.

Also I don't know why but when ever I see an older person(normally a guy) watching anime like a shounen or teen romance anime I think it's weird. This became apparent to me when I want to Anime Usa in November and I was suprised at how many older people were there.
Jan 11, 2008 10:36 PM

Oct 2007
To some people, all Asians are the same. They probably don't want to deal with remembering all of them.
Jan 11, 2008 10:37 PM

Jan 2007
With my parents, it isn't really about the anime but more about the amount of time and money I spend on it.
Jan 11, 2008 10:37 PM

Nov 2007
At least my mom can get the difference between Chinese and Japanese...D:

I wouldn't show her like 95% of the anime I watch, but I do take her to Ghibli films when they're released in theaters because she enjoys them.
Jan 11, 2008 10:38 PM
Jan 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
jorgzimmer said:
oneandonliee said:

There was much more than that. Hell, GAINAX even managed to sneak some in during a fight scene.
Naked Jung? Naked fighting?! I honestly don't remember. Then again, I watched Diebuster first, and just felt like I had to watch the first one. Suprisingly, I wasn't in it for the nudity.
Jan 11, 2008 10:38 PM

Nov 2007
Faust721 said:
With my parents, it isn't really about the anime but more about the amount of time and money I spend on it.
ANIME IS ADDICTING
Jan 11, 2008 10:41 PM

Aug 2007
No, acutally my Mom watched Death note..But my older brother jabs Anime like there is no tomorrow, And my Dad doesn't really care lol.
Jan 11, 2008 10:43 PM
Jan 2008
Karura said:
Parents are more into Asian Dramas of many languages, though they prefer Filipino ones, as they understand/speak Tagalog.
I'm pure Filipino and I live with my birthparents. My mom watches Lifetime, and my dad watches re-runs of Fresh Prince. I don't think they even know where TFC is.
Jan 11, 2008 10:46 PM

Jul 2007
Mom - "Watch your manga in your room. What if someone came over and saw what you were watching?", other than that, she only complains if I spend money on it.

Dad - Doesn't care. Liked Paprika.

Sister - Doesn't care, will watch it if nothing (and I mean NOTHING) else is on TV. We're both uber-night owls.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jan 11, 2008 11:09 PM

Aug 2007
oneandonliee said:
Karura said:
I'm pure Filipino and I live with my birthparents. My mom watches Lifetime, and my dad watches re-runs of Fresh Prince. I don't think they even know where TFC is.

Lulz.
Both my parents watch what you listed respectively (I like Fresh Prince too though heh), but they watch TFC a good amount.

Do you speak Tagalog or a different dialect? I don't (not well enough, rather) but I understand some.

Anyways, I just realized my dad had 2 Gundamn shirts in his room. When the hell did he get those, I do not know. I believe one was a Wing Zero and the other was a Deathscythe...

Splitter said:

Sister - Doesn't care, will watch it if nothing (and I mean NOTHING) else is on TV. We're both uber-night owls.

Same here, but she enjoys foreign films. She USED to like animu, but I'm not sure what happened. She had started earlier then me too (I do know she used to watch Sailor Moon before I even went to elementary school). I know it was sometime during 5th grade for her (I was in 2nd grade at the time.)
Jan 11, 2008 11:11 PM
Nov 2007
i was at a camp once. and i was watching anime at liek 2 am. and one kid who was like playing cards or something walks up to me and is all.. "why do u like cartoons so much..?" and i was about to rip his head off with just my chakra alone i swear. frickin pull out a pokeball and beat him to death with it D< xD but yeah..

my parents on the other hand.. when i watch anime on TV. theyre all like "ohh theres that inu basa again. cant interrupt his cartoons" i dont really mind wtf they call it tho. as long as they dont bother me about it. xD so yay ~
Jan 11, 2008 11:13 PM

Feb 2007
Did I mention that my little sister is just as addicted to anime as I am? I think I've mentioned her a couple times, when I relate back to my first watched anime and that random topic that suggested animes for little kids (yes, she wanted to watch Higurashi and I kept telling her NO).
Jan 11, 2008 11:13 PM
Jan 2008
Karura said:
Lulz.
Both my parents watch what you listed respectively (I like Fresh Prince too though heh), but they watch TFC a good amount.

Do you speak Tagalog or a different dialect? I don't (not well enough, rather) but I understand some.
Nah, I was born in California and my parents always speak to me in English except for a few terms.

Edit:
BlueYoshi said:
Did I mention that my little sister is just as addicted to anime as I am? I think I've mentioned her a couple times, when I relate back to my first watched anime and that random topic that suggested animes for little kids (yes, she wanted to watch Higurashi and I kept telling her NO).
I remember when I was looking through the anime DVD section somewhere and the Higurashi boxset was decorated pink and girly. "So misleading," I thought.

As for my siblings, I used to think my brother liked anime, but he's not a sub kind of person. I think he's just an occasional anime watcher. Long periods of time between each occasion, maybe. I doubt he minds if I watch too much anime.
SmashedTomatoJan 11, 2008 11:18 PM
Jan 11, 2008 11:54 PM

Jan 2008
Both of my parents are pretty indifferent to it.

My grandpa gets on my case about watching "cartoons" and needing to "grow up".

My grandma likes to sneak up behind me and comment about the art work, since she's an artist herself. But, most of her comments are positive so that's nice.

I do get irritated when people mock the Japanese though. This usually results in me yelling at them in Japanese which is quite funny.
Jan 11, 2008 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
My Mom, her Boyfriend, My Dad, and everyone else in my life is clueless when it comes to anime. I just wish they'd do some research or at least quit saying it's unimportant, because it really is. >_>
Jan 12, 2008 1:57 AM

Jun 2007
My parents think that I am watching anime as a means to avoid growing up. TT-TT Since I am the youngest, they think that I deny the fact that I will be an adult some day and regard my watching anime as an act of denial.
Jan 12, 2008 1:59 AM

May 2007
I've never really understand their stance. They're neither supportive nor they ever bother me about it.
Jan 12, 2008 2:02 AM

Aug 2007
Both my parents know I watch anime.
My father thinks im wasting my time and I should be using the time for other things
and
my mother thinks i'm too old for anime and she thinks i'm into anime girls.
Jan 12, 2008 2:20 AM

Jul 2007
A while ago my mom told me I should buy more anime posters, cuz my walls looked too plain.
Jan 12, 2008 2:31 AM
Jan 2008
Mire said:
A while ago my mom told me I should buy more anime posters, cuz my walls looked too plain.
Nice. Supportive mother.
Jan 12, 2008 2:32 AM

Nov 2007
My mum wouldn't even watch a ghibi movie in english.
Both parents hate it.
Luckily, they respect be enough to let me do what I want.. But I get constant hints that I should be doing something else.
Jan 12, 2008 3:00 AM

Jun 2007
My parents don't really say a lot about anime, but last month, while I was watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (I think), all of a sudden my mom said "What you're watching is for kids." That kinda annoyed me, to be honest. I was so close to showing her my brother's hentai collection XD but I just sat there and continued watching XD

As for my dad, I think he's slightly interested in Prince of Tennis, which I'm currently watching. He's an avid tennis fan.
^_^
Jan 12, 2008 3:15 AM

Jun 2007
oneandonliee said:

It's the same for me except it's my dad who says those things. He says the computer is for studying and not for watching children "chinese" cartoons.
MarraquesJan 13, 2008 12:39 AM
Jan 12, 2008 3:31 AM

Oct 2007
My dad is pretty cultured so he's pretty open to foreign film and things like that, so he was pretty open to it. I just showed him Death Note the other day and he really liked it.

My mom thinks it's kinda weird so I don't bother with her.

My friends won't stop giving me shit about it, they think it's nerdy, no matter how many times I tell them it's not :(
quitearushJan 12, 2008 3:37 AM
Jan 12, 2008 6:14 AM

Aug 2007
Well I've got some friends who like it. Some who think it's nerdy but they're pretty insecure nerds and don't really give me any crap about it.
My mom is kind of supportive, she seemed to like death note and thought Ryuk was cute. She even bought me a Ryuk plushie because she said I just "had to have it".
My dad seems pretty indifferent, but he thinks some of the concepts are interesting.

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Jan 12, 2008 6:29 AM

May 2007
Wow so many of your parents are anti-anime, I feel sorry for you guys lol.

My dad actually watches anime with me sometimes, and my mom doesn't really mind it.
Jan 12, 2008 6:42 AM

Apr 2007
My parents have no problem with it whatsoever. My mom constantly comes to check what I'm watching and she loves the anime style. She particularly loves CardCaptor Sakura, she used to watch it with me all the time. Even if she doesn't get what's really going on, she likes watching just the same.

My father likes old Bruce Lee-style movies, so he doesn't mock me for it or anything. I think what would bother him the most is the language itself, but it's no serious mocking. He doesn't quite like Japanese songs though. My mom likes some.

My mom stole my brother's Rin Tohsaka figurine even. XD
Jan 12, 2008 6:49 AM

Jan 2008
My parents don't really care what I watch.
Jan 12, 2008 6:59 AM

Oct 2006
My parents never really cared, but then I wasn't as into anime then as I am now. It's not something I try to explain to people, really, but just because I'm lazy and don't want to get into how it differs from "some cartoon." My brother is a big fan though, and a few other friends enjoy it quite a bit too.
Pages (39) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 44 minutes ago

4 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

11 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 57 minutes ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.