Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2014 4:25 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
"I hate you" And that's why hate is a strong word...

Damn.
Feb 25, 2014 4:35 PM

Aug 2013
Oh my god Shouko ;_;...

Pretty sure Ueno will always be a two-faced bitch.
Feb 25, 2014 4:47 PM
Mar 2012
And so my hate for Ueno grows
Feb 25, 2014 4:50 PM

Jan 2010
I... I don't know what to say. I'm so glad it's a weekly release... I can't wait for next week.

Hate is such a strong word.

However, I can understand Ueno, what she's trying to tell. She hates people who pity themselves. Telling her "so what?" Hopefully Nishimiya grows up a little bit more. Maybe she will grow a backbone instead of saying Sorry to every situation.

So, try to understand Ueno's side. Hopefully it goes in a way they become friends and Nishimiya can get on Ueno's "level".

On what she said about the adults... She's completely wrong but right in her perspective. We are the third eye. We know what went on. To Ueno, she told the adults. Like the music teacher. Which, was wrong. That music teacher is a piece of crap. But, Nishimiya probably didn't even tell the adults about the hearing aids. Her mom did.
Kan_BiiruFeb 25, 2014 6:03 PM
Feb 25, 2014 5:12 PM

Aug 2013
"Hey we bullied you but how dare you go to the adults for help! It's your fault why we bullied you!"

And some people said we should give Ueno a chance...
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 25, 2014 5:20 PM
Feb 2014
xchee said:
"Hey we bullied you but how dare you go to the adults for help! It's your fault why we bullied you!"

why was nishymiya slapped ?
Feb 25, 2014 5:22 PM

May 2013
So she did get hit. At least we know what happened with those two in the ferris wheel.
Feb 25, 2014 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
May Ueno die horribly in a fire.
Feb 25, 2014 5:26 PM

Aug 2013
silentdragon13 said:
xchee said:

Because Shouko ended up saying she hated herself and not Ueno. Essentially she still is doing something Ueno "doesn't understand". Ueno hates that.
Feb 25, 2014 5:45 PM
Feb 2014
Tazu said:
silentdragon13 said:
xchee said:

Because Shouko ended up saying she hated herself and not Ueno. Essentially she still is doing something Ueno "doesn't understand". Ueno hates that.
still not a good reason to put your hand on someone.
The situation will be resolved in about two or three chapters.
Feb 25, 2014 5:56 PM

Aug 2013
silentdragon13 said:
Tazu said:
silentdragon13 said:
xchee said:

still not a good reason to put your hand on someone.
The situation will be resolved in about two or three chapters.

Well we are talking about the girl who yelled at Nagatsuka and called him names when he misunderstood (granted what he did something close to harassment). But she really can't control herself when she's irritated.
Feb 25, 2014 6:17 PM

Sep 2011
Tazu said:
silentdragon13 said:
xchee said:

Yes I agree, she got slapped because she refused to say she also hated Ueno too.
Well I'll hate Ueno for her instead.
Ueno feels completed justified and totally ok with hating her just for being different.
inzarathaFeb 25, 2014 6:25 PM
Feb 25, 2014 6:25 PM

Oct 2007
What Ueno does not understand is what they did to her is improper, bullying can't be prevented, but going even by involving the adults? I don't even know if that is what "Going even to them" is ...as far as the series goes, she puts up all the bullying and others, it came to the point that the mother has to step in already.. It can't be help Shouko has a hearing problem, its not like she wanted it, she also wanted a life where everything is normal, and I think that is what Ueno should understand...

And what made me mad when Ueno said "Ishida lost his friends, and I was hurt a lot" .. I think Ueno forgot that the reason why he lost his "friends" is because they backstabbed him. How was she hurt a lot? By what Ishida is doing that he is giving more attention to Shouko than her?
^_^
Feb 25, 2014 7:12 PM

Oct 2013
I like the way the author writes Ueno, she's a jerk but still has feelings, I don't like the way she writes shouko, she doesn't have a personality.
Feb 25, 2014 8:58 PM

Feb 2013
It would be poetic justice if Ueno somehow became handicapped, so she could finally understand some of Nishimiya's feelings.
Feb 25, 2014 9:13 PM

Jun 2010
taki_takaishi said:
What Ueno does not understand is what they did to her is improper, bullying can't be prevented, but going even by involving the adults? I don't even know if that is what "Going even to them" is ...as far as the series goes, she puts up all the bullying and others, it came to the point that the mother has to step in already.. It can't be help Shouko has a hearing problem, its not like she wanted it, she also wanted a life where everything is normal, and I think that is what Ueno should understand...

And what made me mad when Ueno said "Ishida lost his friends, and I was hurt a lot" .. I think Ueno forgot that the reason why he lost his "friends" is because they backstabbed him. How was she hurt a lot? By what Ishida is doing that he is giving more attention to Shouko than her?

I also think that she only thinks about herself. What about Shouko? You bullied her remember? I hate Ueno, I really hate her.
Feb 25, 2014 10:34 PM

Aug 2012
I actually did think she was turning the leaf, then she pulls this stunt.
Feb 26, 2014 2:25 AM

Jul 2012
I don't get why she slapped her.

Teldara said:

So, try to understand Ueno's side. Hopefully it goes in a way they become friends and Nishimiya can get on Ueno's "level".

I don't like this kind of people. "Grow a backbone, I'll be mean to you as always but I'll let you call me your friend."
MisiakkFeb 26, 2014 2:31 AM
Feb 26, 2014 2:51 AM
Nov 2013
^
The Video hasn't ended yet ?
Maybe in the next chapter or two, depending on what is Shouko's response, Ueno's gonna be a total b*tch or a good complicated character.
Feb 26, 2014 4:57 AM

Dec 2009
I hope Ueno falls down a flight of stairs or gets hit by a car going 35. That bitch pisses me off.
Feb 26, 2014 9:24 AM

Jul 2010
alexpte said:
And so my hate for Ueno grows

^
+1

Why does Nishimiya hate herself ? It's not her fault to be like that.
Feb 26, 2014 12:37 PM
Apr 2012
The author is making it harder to actually see Ueno in a positive light, not that she was seen in such a way in the first place.
I think we can all agree that nobody here likes Ueno?
Makoto_SakoFeb 26, 2014 12:56 PM
Feb 26, 2014 3:35 PM

Sep 2013
I didn't like the magic camera that let them see everything, but I like where this is going. I feel we're gonna go deeper into Shouko's past and problems.
Feb 26, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2010
Misiakk said:

Teldara said:

I don't like this kind of people. "Grow a backbone, I'll be mean to you as always but I'll let you call me your friend."

It's not "I'll let you call me your friend." It's so she can see her as an equal. Right now, Ueno views Shouko as a cockroach. She always says sorry. She has no backbone, and you can't deny that. She can't confront any of them.

Honestly, I think the mangaka is trying to make it so Ueno doesn't care if shes deaf or not. She's trying to make you hate Ueno, yes, but you also have to view it on Ueno's side. She's her rival for the love interest. However, she doesn't see Shouko as a rival. Using deafness is a clutch.

You can't keep saying sorry if you get bullied. Saying sorry just enables. Stand up for yourself a little.

I honestly don't like Ueno, but I can relate. I like Shouko but she can grow more. They are pretty polarizing extremes, but this has been a huge issue in Japan. I know lots of friends who were bullied growing up in Japan because they are different. The teachers actually promote bullying as a "class unification". All for one. One for all.

Edit: In Japanese, not sure if directly translated right, Ueno tries to "reconcile" with Shouko. She tells her that she hates her, but they can move on that. They don't have to be friends. They should shake on it. They are equals at this point. However, Shouko says "I hate myself" which puts her below Ueno.

In the end, it's really the adult's fault.
Kan_BiiruFeb 26, 2014 8:02 PM
Feb 26, 2014 10:05 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Ueno... WOW
just
I knew not to trust her
I just knew it.
Feb 26, 2014 11:26 PM

May 2013
Ueno and Shouko didn't understand each other that well. Harsh.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Feb 27, 2014 7:08 AM

Aug 2013
Teldara said:
Misiakk said:

Teldara said:

It's not "I'll let you call me your friend." It's so she can see her as an equal. Right now, Ueno views Shouko as a cockroach. She always says sorry. She has no backbone, and you can't deny that. She can't confront any of them.

Honestly, I think the mangaka is trying to make it so Ueno doesn't care if shes deaf or not. She's trying to make you hate Ueno, yes, but you also have to view it on Ueno's side. She's her rival for the love interest. However, she doesn't see Shouko as a rival. Using deafness is a clutch.

You can't keep saying sorry if you get bullied. Saying sorry just enables. Stand up for yourself a little.

I honestly don't like Ueno, but I can relate. I like Shouko but she can grow more. They are pretty polarizing extremes, but this has been a huge issue in Japan. I know lots of friends who were bullied growing up in Japan because they are different. The teachers actually promote bullying as a "class unification". All for one. One for all.

Edit: In Japanese, not sure if directly translated right, Ueno tries to "reconcile" with Shouko. She tells her that she hates her, but they can move on that. They don't have to be friends. They should shake on it. They are equals at this point. However, Shouko says "I hate myself" which puts her below Ueno.

In the end, it's really the adult's fault.

I can see what you are saying for Ueno. She is doing something to "reconcile" but very bluntly. Although I would say it is better compared to Kawai who just brushes off the past like the bullying wasn't partly her fault. They both are really two-faced. It is no wonder they are friends..

I agree though that Shouko shouldn't be saying sorry to everything, especially when it isn't remotely her fault, because that would annoy not just Ueno. Same thing happened between Shouya and Shouko. They haven't fully reconciled so they still don't see eye to eye as friends.

I guess we will see what happens now that Yuzuru and Shouya know how Shouko has been feeling.
Feb 27, 2014 7:20 PM

Jan 2014
Like people suspected, she slapped her. I don't get it why character like Ueno exists. I can't understand her at all. Never find someone as bad as her is in real life...
Feb 27, 2014 9:32 PM

Jul 2013
Tazu said:
Although I would say it is better compared to Kawai who just brushes off the past like the bullying wasn't partly her fault.

Yeah, as much as Ueno pisses me off Kawai is the absolute worst. Ueno at least acknowledges she has a bad side, Kawai (in her own mind) can do no wrong. She may be a shit-stirrer but I'd take Ueno over Kawai any day.
Mar 7, 2014 7:47 PM

Aug 2013
''I hate myself'', goddamnit Shouko... I hope Shouya can sort this out.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 30, 2014 5:32 PM

Jun 2011
Teldara said:
Ueno doesn't care if shes deaf or not. Shouko's her rival for the love interest. However, she doesn't see Shouko as a rival. Using deafness is a clutch.

Ueno tries to "reconcile" with Shouko. She tells her that she hates her, but they can move on that. They don't have to be friends. They should shake on it. They are equals at this point. However, Shouko says "I hate myself" which puts her below Ueno.

I agree that bullying is ridiculous in Japan. I also agree that Shouko needs to gain a backbone. And I understand that Ueno's probably upset that her beloved Shouya is looking at someone else.

What I don't agree with is that she wants to see Shouko as her equal. She will never nor does she ever want to see her as her equal. She doesn't want to reconcile. Hearing Shouko tell her she hates her would've just meant they had equal amounts of dislike for each other.

Which then makes no sense. If you went into the ferris wheel just to get a mutual confession of hatred and slap the girl's face, you've accomplished nothing. (They could honestly have kept swimming around each other like they were doing before.)

And, okay maybe she wants Shouko to get mean and stand up for herself, that's cool. But hating her for being soft-spoken, telling it to her face and then getting violent over it? It's unnecessary and she needs to grow up. I can't justify her actions.

silentdragon13 said:
Tazu said:
Shouko ended up saying she hated herself and not Ueno. Essentially she still is doing something Ueno "doesn't understand". Ueno hates that.
Still not a good reason to put your hand on someone.

And instead of just accepting that "they'll never understand each other", she should sit down and have a conversation with the person she hates for no good reason. Communication is a brilliant thing human's have the capability of doing (usually, unless you're haughty and unwilling like Ueno).

Note: Sorry for the wall of text. I like how analytical this is getting ;D
Apr 24, 2014 1:10 AM

Oct 2013
dam she didnt even try. just outright said i hate you. so mean
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 21, 2014 11:07 PM

Sep 2012
Shouko apologized yet she still slapped her, what the hell is up with her

She said she hate herself, and why is that?
Jul 21, 2015 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
Wonder how the sound was recorded.
Great chapter, very interesting conversation from Ueno.
Jul 24, 2015 3:51 PM
Aug 2014
wanderingplayboy said:
Like people suspected, she slapped her. I don't get it why character like Ueno exists. I can't understand her at all. Never find someone as bad as her is in real life...

I hope I don't meet someone like Ueno too, but let's face it, it's impossible and we both have someone two faced that we probably don't suspect right now. So the best thing to do is be ready for it and grow a back bone.
Ueno is easily in the top ten most complex characters out of all manga I've read, with Nakamura of Aku No Hana being first. I want to dislike her but she spits awful truths all the time.
Mar 10, 2016 11:30 AM

Feb 2012
It looks like many people in this thread are expressing hate towards Ueno, but I feel she's quickly becoming one of the best characters in the manga. She's serving as an excellent foil for the main characters, and she is putting forward controversial view that rarely gets discussed. That Shoko was the one mainly responsible for the treatment she received in elementary school.

Shoko meant well in her actions, but she did things she didn't need to that had a negative effect on others. Ueno believes she was justified in her actions in the past because of Shoko's behavior. To avoid hypocrisy, Ueno also believes Shoko was justified in her retaliation by getting the adults involved in what was happening. The peace offer from Ueno shows that she doesn't think that the feelings they had as kids were wrong, but only that conflict should be avoided as adults and teenagers for others reasons.
May 4, 2016 10:49 PM

Oct 2014
i actually hate ueno, shouko is so innocent and pure and just wants to be accepted but this bitch.. i honestly hope something happens to cause ueno to become handicapped in a sort of way, so then it can be like a slap in the face and she'll understand how much shouko goes through
Jul 20, 2016 12:55 AM

Mar 2015
Ueno needs to grow the fuck up. Hasn't changed since elementary to high school.
Oct 23, 2016 6:10 PM

Jul 2013
Ueno's a fucking little betch.
Jan 27, 2017 8:53 AM

Jul 2013
That page was upsetting to read :(
May 5, 2017 11:33 AM

Dec 2014
oh my god a trailer before a cat fight
Sep 18, 2017 9:16 PM
Apr 2016
Hmm... So basically Ueno understands she was being an asshole to Shouko, but also is frustrated with the fact that Shouko does not try to understand her. She has a good point except in elementary school, it was hard for her to communicate without getting hurt which she sort of did. Well at least the argument did not stem from jealously.
Aug 25, 2019 9:19 PM

Jun 2015
she really resorted to the lowest thing to do to someone
Aug 11, 2021 11:17 AM

Apr 2017
Wow, it's like every time I think Naoka can't get any worse, she does something even more petty and disgusting.

It's obvious that she's jealous of the attention Shouya is giving Shouko. And since she never lifted a finger to speak up for Shouya back when he was being bullied, it's also obvious that she cares more about her image than about Shouya.
Oct 29, 2021 8:13 PM

Jan 2021
Man i loved this chapter, also you know what,
Ueno just earned HUGE points in my book and hopefully Shouya's as well. She's a bitch but at least she followed through on trying to resolve her past with Nishimiya, and she even earned an apology from Shouya after being misjudged for her actions... fuck the rest of you guys, Ueno may be a bitch but she's still the best and most realistic character of this series
Apr 18, 7:43 AM

Aug 2018
Ueno's logical capabilities haven't grown past the age of 8 yo. She was there , she knows his friends backstabbed him including her and they bullied him until graduation and told him to kill himself every day. Who was cleaning his desk ? It wasn't her for sure. How did she miss all this context? How's she more friendly towards the person who bullied ishida for years than the bullying victim who was the only person that didn't try to get back at ishida. If she actually cares about ishida she would have told his bullies off instead of sitting around like a dead fish.
Apr 18, 7:49 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to CalmTeaTime
Man i loved this chapter, also you know what,
Ueno just earned HUGE points in my book and hopefully Shouya's as well. She's a bitch but at least she followed through on trying to resolve her past with Nishimiya, and she even earned an apology from Shouya after being misjudged for her actions... fuck the rest of you guys, Ueno may be a bitch but she's still the best and most realistic character of this series
@CalmTeaTime
Most realistic?
>Backstabs ishida
>See him getting bullied by so called his friends for years
>Every day till graduation gets death threats on his desk
>Does nothing
>Comes back after couple of years
>Still friends with the people who bullied him , beat him and told him to khs
>Still wants to bully a deaf girl like a little kid
>Blames the only person that actually helped ishida and never hated him
If by realistic you mean a realistic portrayal of a person with IQ of 60 and reasoning of an 8 yo then ig she's realistic

More topics from this board

» Difference?

Mangahater - Apr 19

9 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 20, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maerow - Nov 15, 2014

291 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 61 Discussion

Ana - Nov 9, 2014

45 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 57 Discussion

Maerow - Oct 11, 2014

40 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 50 Discussion

Ana - Aug 26, 2014

39 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 3:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.