Forum Settings
Forums

2015 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread!

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 »
Aug 13, 2015 8:18 AM

May 2013
tsuyokunaru said:
I was traveling and then I got sick so I took a bit to come back, but now I'll start updating the lists again. Sorry for the wait!

I think my favorite so far has been Terra e... I had been meaning to read it for a long time and I loved the 2007 anime so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it was a bit different because it felt fresh. Though I haven't finished Nodame Cantabile it has been a really entertaining and great read because I can breeze through chapters and not get bored and the art is wonderful.

I'd love to know what you think of Hikaru no Go as it is one of my favorite manga ever. I read Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and I enjoyed parts of it, though I have a bit of a controversial opinion, maybe? I've never really discussed it with other people so I'm not sure if my opinion is controversial or not, but considering how popular it seems to be, I might be in the minority.

Welcome back!

Terra e looks interesting. Might check that out.

Nodame Cantabile. I watched the anime. I like Chiaki though. His development is well done, but I found Nodame and her overreacting annoying. I guess that's the only complaint I got, but since she's the main character, it makes me bothered a lot because I've got to see her a lot. The story is good though.

I'll check Hikaru no Go once I finished my Tokyo Ghoul. I have planned to read it for a long time, but got too little motivation. Thanks to this challenge I will finally read it.

Brand said:
In the challenge that I finished two really stand out.

Bambino! - This was a quick read I think I read all 15 volumes in a night or two. It was a really fun story of a guy trying to become a chef. I like a lot of cooking challenge shows so this fits right in there with it.

A Cruel God Reigns - From Moto Hagio, I love her work and I have been meaning to read this one for a while. It is a tough read because it deals (fairly realistically for a manga) sexual abuse. It can be a little lurid but it is one of the best psychological dramas I've read.

It sure is reassuring to hear Bambino! is that good. I was confused what to read for the manga about food so I just picked Bambino! randomly. Looks like a spot on choice.

A Cruel God Reigns looks incredibly dark. That art though is definitely not something I like. I guess I'll skip this one. Sorry for judging a book by its cover.
Aug 13, 2015 10:48 AM

Oct 2007
@Brand
Now I need to read A Cruel God Reigns! I hadn't heard about it though the name of the author looks familiar. I was considering Bambino for my food manga, but then I wanted something shorter. I might check it out some other time though.

@FlameWingman21
I've been meaning to read Tokyo Ghoul too. I read the one-shot and it was interesting , though I didn't like certain aspects of the characters, but it seems those are changed in the long-running series. Nodame also changes some. She's very hard-headed in this though. I only watched the first season completely so I'm not sure if the anime covers all the manga.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 13, 2015 2:59 PM

May 2014
Hey!
So I have a doubt. I was told Chrono Crusade was Daisuke Moriyama's debut manga but according to MAL's database, he provided art for a novel called Tomoichou Busters before that. My question is: Does Chrono Crusade count as a debut manga, given it was his first manga, or do I have to look for something else since the novel would be his actual debut?
Aug 14, 2015 5:22 AM

Oct 2007
I think it definitely counts as debut manga since he did both the writing and the art for it so he was working as a full-fledged mangaka when before he was just doing art. It's like an artist doing a small collab before making it big. So it's safe to use it.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 14, 2015 7:01 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
FlameWingman21 said:

It sure is reassuring to hear Bambino! is that good. I was confused what to read for the manga about food so I just picked Bambino! randomly. Looks like a spot on choice.

A Cruel God Reigns looks incredibly dark. That art though is definitely not something I like. I guess I'll skip this one. Sorry for judging a book by its cover.

You can probably blast through Bambino! pretty fast but I understand. It was certainly one of the longest titles I chose to read for the challenge.

As for A Cruel God Reigns, I love the 70s shoujo art style (even if the title is much more recent). So, I actually found the art very attractive. It is a very dark read though that can be emotionally hard to read. Hagi Moto though is one of the great mangaka to me though, I've loved pretty much everything of her's that I have read.

Generally, art won't turn me off from a series but it can be a deciding factor on giving up. I tried reading "Angel Densetsu" for the challenge and I read about nine chapters and I was like nope, can't do this. The art in that is f*&king ugly. And not just the main character where that is the joke. Apparently, it is supposed to get better but with that and the fact I had read nine chapters of the exact same joke (MC is so ugly he must be a scary delinquent, lets have a misunderstanding) I couldn't take it anymore.
Aug 14, 2015 1:26 PM

May 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
I think it definitely counts as debut manga since he did both the writing and the art for it so he was working as a full-fledged mangaka when before he was just doing art. It's like an artist doing a small collab before making it big. So it's safe to use it.

Glad to read that. I'll go with it then.
Thanks for answering.
Aug 14, 2015 2:34 PM

Apr 2014
Brand said:
FlameWingman21 said:

You can probably blast through Bambino! pretty fast but I understand. It was certainly one of the longest titles I chose to read for the challenge.

Funny , because I actually started reading Bambino starting 3 days ago , and it indeed is a very smooth and pleasant read . I'm taking my time with it and not rushing since I read and watch other things during the days too , but I honesly think that the way the manga it's done , you can read it without getting tired of it and do it in almost one go .

Maybe it's the way the dialogue are done ? I don't know why , some 5 volume long manga can be very long to read because of their "density" and "heavy dialogue" , but for this one and Homonculus for exemple (also 15 volume long) , it's so smooth it almost feels like butter somehow ^^ . You can learn one or two Italian term with it too , and the overall way a restaurant work , so it's a very nice plus too .

Brand said:
Generally, art won't turn me off from a series but it can be a deciding factor on giving up. I tried reading "Angel Densetsu" for the challenge and I read about nine chapters and I was like nope, can't do this. The art in that is f*&king ugly.
arf , that's too bad , since I think it's quite a nice and pretty funny read . It is repetitive , that's for sure , but also quite entertaining .
While reading "Claymore" felt tiring and almost exausting after some time (when I was quite good at first) , it didn't felt like that with Angel Densetsu to me . And really , the art does improve a LOOOOOOT ^^

It was the author's first work and it show , but that's in fact also a good point of the manga in a sense : you can see how an author's art style and drawing talent can improvement over time . I think that in the end , it finish as the equivalent as Claymore in the art style department .
DullboyAug 14, 2015 3:53 PM
Aug 14, 2015 3:08 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Dullboy said:
It was the author's first work and it show , but that's in fact also a good point of the manga in a sense : you can see how an author's art style and drawing talent can improvement over time . I think that in the end , it finish as the equivalent as Claymore in the art style department .

It was a combo of bad art and the probably the trope I hate the most in anything (lets have a misunderstanding). It would be fine as a one-shot joke but chapter after chapter I was like ugh...
Aug 15, 2015 11:19 PM

Apr 2012
Can Tenjo Tenge be considered as Oh! Great's debut manga?
Aug 16, 2015 5:49 AM

Oct 2007
@emanime
Well, it seems to be? He seemed to have worked in other stuff previously, but just as an artist, so yeah. Let's say it counts.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 20, 2015 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
i was finished reading manhwa Ways of the Jogang Jicheo it's interesting manhwa with a little tragedy i love it cause it opposite of other manhwa when i read them i suffer when the heroine suffer it make you fell the same way of the heroine it's full of tragedy and drama
Eun-Hyeok
removed-userAug 20, 2015 7:44 AM
Aug 21, 2015 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Hi may i ask about debut manga for the great manga-ka Suzuki, Julietta
which one count for her debut manga i read about her work in Wikipedia and her first debut was
Ura Antique and it's not transleted in english and i can't find it in Mangaupdates or Myanimelist either
and her first Serie titled Akuma to Dolce
but her series Karakuri Odette known as Ourstanding Debut
which one of the three of them count as the legal debut manga
to use it in the 2015 Manga Reading Challenge

1. Ura Antique
2. Akuma to Dolce
3. Karakuri Odette

or can you help me with chose the right debut for the great manga-ka Shinjou, Mayu
removed-userAug 21, 2015 10:31 AM
Aug 22, 2015 6:49 AM

Apr 2012
tsuyokunaru said:
@emanime
Well, it seems to be? He seemed to have worked in other stuff previously, but just as an artist, so yeah. Let's say it counts.

Thanks! I thought I was reading something that can't be counted for the challenge again hahaha thanks
Aug 23, 2015 8:38 AM

Jan 2010
Though it took me more than three months, I finally completed the challenge and I’m really glad I decided to participate back then. As someone who doesn’t pick up long completed series often it was the best motivation to read a few titles I had in my plan to read list on manga-updates for years but I couldn’t make up my mind to start reading them.

Space Brothers was definitely the most enjoyable ride and also the series I wanted to start reading for the longest time but the number of volumes scared me. Since I was already a fan of the anime it gave me the opportunity to laugh and tear up again with many scenes, plus the arcs the anime hadn’t covered were great. Bambino was the most surprising title, it was a title I had my doubts reading so I didn’t want to pick it up before the series were completely scanlated and I still had my doubts when I started it. The truth is I didn’t like the first 12-15 chapters that much but fortunately I didn’t drop it and not only I ended up engrossed by it but it was also one of the best manga I read for this challenge.

I hope I’ll have the time to take part again if you organize a similar challenge next year.
Aug 24, 2015 9:12 AM

May 2013
Space Bros interests me a lot. The anime got 99 episodes is definitely not normal for a slice of life, excluding those family anime. Will read it but not for the challenge as I prefer the completed one.
Aug 25, 2015 3:59 AM

Sep 2014
what's a demographic?
Sayan Blaze

Aug 25, 2015 7:19 AM
Jul 2018
sayanblaze said:
what's a demographic?

"Measurable characteristics of media consumers."

Could cover males/females, 15-20 year olds, a certain class, niche group, social group, nationality, etc.

So for this challenge for example:

Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you (i.e. shoujo if you're a male in his 20s, etc)

You could read a josei manga about knitting set in France. Though I highly doubt one exists lol.
removed-userAug 25, 2015 7:39 AM
Aug 25, 2015 4:55 PM

Apr 2014
Amarantos said:

You could read a josei manga about knitting set in France. Though I highly doubt one exists lol.

I readed the first sentence and felt a sort of heavy curiosity rise up...but then I saw you didn't knew any and it was for the joke .
I'm sad now , look at what you did ^^[/quote]
Aug 25, 2015 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
Dullboy said:
Amarantos said:

I readed the first sentence and felt a sort of heavy curiosity rise up...but then I saw you didn't knew any and it was for the joke .
I'm sad now , look at what you did ^^
[/quote]

Muahahaha!

I would totally read such a manga if it did exist. In fact curiosity got the better of me and I just Googled for knitting manga. Don't think there is any though lol.
Aug 26, 2015 5:53 AM

Oct 2007
Sooru said:
Though it took me more than three months, I finally completed the challenge and I’m really glad I decided to participate back then. As someone who doesn’t pick up long completed series often it was the best motivation to read a few titles I had in my plan to read list on manga-updates for years but I couldn’t make up my mind to start reading them.

Space Brothers was definitely the most enjoyable ride and also the series I wanted to start reading for the longest time but the number of volumes scared me. Since I was already a fan of the anime it gave me the opportunity to laugh and tear up again with many scenes, plus the arcs the anime hadn’t covered were great. Bambino was the most surprising title, it was a title I had my doubts reading so I didn’t want to pick it up before the series were completely scanlated and I still had my doubts when I started it. The truth is I didn’t like the first 12-15 chapters that much but fortunately I didn’t drop it and not only I ended up engrossed by it but it was also one of the best manga I read for this challenge.

I hope I’ll have the time to take part again if you organize a similar challenge next year.

Congratulations! I haven't finished the anime yet because I'm so slow, but I really love Space Brothers. I started up the manga, but the fact that it's still ongoing is a turn off for me at this time because I have so many ongoing series and the wait bothers me, so I decided to try to read more completed stuff. I'll probably pick it back up at some point though.

I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge! I will most likely organize another one next year.

sayanblaze said:
what's a demographic?

You can also see it as the intended audience for a product. In the case of manga, audiences are usually separated by ages and gender and those are some of the demographics available (the ones called shonen, shoujo, seinen and josei).
omakaseAug 26, 2015 6:20 AM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 26, 2015 11:08 AM

Sep 2014
um....i'm new to these challenge thingies but i do want to know how do i take the banner on my a/c?
Sayan Blaze

Aug 26, 2015 9:51 PM

Oct 2007
sayanblaze said:
um....i'm new to these challenge thingies but i do want to know how do i take the banner on my a/c?

I'm not sure what you mean. Like how do you include it on your signature or profile or is it something else? If it's that, then you need to include an image code sort of like [*img][*/img] with no asterisks and then inside the two tags you include the image link.

So, like this [*img]http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k503/tsuyokutcg/participant-badge.png[*/img] without the asterisks.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 29, 2015 4:29 AM

May 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

I'd love to know what you think of Hikaru no Go as it is one of my favorite manga ever. I read Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and I enjoyed parts of it, though I have a bit of a controversial opinion, maybe? I've never really discussed it with other people so I'm not sure if my opinion is controversial or not, but considering how popular it seems to be, I might be in the minority.

I wonder what your controversial opinion is. I've read it and it really made my heart throb. So sad. :'(

I've read Hikaru no Go up to chapter 120 so far in 2 sittings, could be more if not because of some circumstances. It's been fantastic so far. I love the characters very much, especially Sai <3. Will talk about it again later after I finish it. I can sense something unpleasant is coming.
Aug 30, 2015 8:34 PM

May 2013
Finally halfway done. I read too many long-running ones. Hikaru no Go is class. A 9/10 from me. Almost a 10/10.

Hikaru no Go's spoiler. Don't try to click if you haven't read it.
Aug 31, 2015 8:38 PM

Oct 2007
FlameWingman21 said:
Finally halfway done. I read too many long-running ones. Hikaru no Go is class. A 9/10 from me. Almost a 10/10.

Hikaru no Go's spoiler. Don't try to click if you haven't read it.

As for my controversial opinion, I've never read the original novel for Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan so I don't know how much the artist contributed to the amazing storytelling, but many people give Sahara Mizu a lot of credit for the plot and the writing and it's based on something else, so it bothers me a lot that they don't consider that much of the genius can come from the original novel and the adaptation may be super good and her art is definitely masterful, but it's not just her genius. I know the original work is Korean and I've always considered that this might be the reason why it's a bit melodramatic and a little convenient in terms of how the dramatic elements come together, but it still didn't take the enjoyment away from me when I read it.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Sep 1, 2015 4:54 AM

May 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

tsuyokunaru said:
As for my controversial opinion, I've never read the original novel for Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan so I don't know how much the artist contributed to the amazing storytelling, but many people give Sahara Mizu a lot of credit for the plot and the writing and it's based on something else, so it bothers me a lot that they don't consider that much of the genius can come from the original novel and the adaptation may be super good and her art is definitely masterful, but it's not just her genius. I know the original work is Korean and I've always considered that this might be the reason why it's a bit melodramatic and a little convenient in terms of how the dramatic elements come together, but it still didn't take the enjoyment away from me when I read it.

I see. I thought it's about the story. I honestly didn't know people do that. I didn't do any research regarding the series at all. I knew it was adapted from Korean novel though.

I guess I'm on your side. I'm even interested with the novel because I'm sure it will be even better. This series got many monologues and dialogues, and I believe novel would be superior in telling it. I wouldn't be surprised if the manga skipped many lines from the novel because no way a volume of manga can cover a whole novel.
FlameWingman21Sep 1, 2015 7:42 PM
Sep 12, 2015 11:47 PM

Jan 2010
I think that is pretty common though and pretty unfair towards the authors since many people usually notice the artist first, I think Arslan is a fine recent example. Despite the fact that it's more understandable since Arakawa is a big shot in the industry many people don't seem to notice that the actual author is Yoshiki Tanaka.
Error205Sep 14, 2015 10:21 AM
Sep 14, 2015 7:04 AM

Oct 2007
Sooru said:
I think that is pretty common though and pretty unfair towards the authors since many people usually notice the artist first, I thing Arslan in a find and recent example. Despite the fact that it's more understandable since Arakawa is a big shot in the industry many people don't seem to notice that the actual author is Yoshiki Tanaka.

Yeah, you make a good point. I don't think the fans should undermine the artist's work, but both the writer and the artist should get recognition for the genius of a manga (and sometimes light novel) because both influence it. I guess what I dislike is giving credit when is not necessarily due haha
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Sep 15, 2015 7:14 PM

Mar 2013
Yeah, I agree with Sooru. It is SUPER common because of how much work is simply adapted from other works. People don't do their research and they think it's an original work. I typically go the other way, where I look for the story and credit the author much more than I credit the artist, but what keeps me on many manga is the story not the art(i.e Adachi works).

FlameWingman21 said:
What's the best manga you guys read in this challenge?

Otoyomegatari, believe it or not. Berserk and Haikyuu!! come in (close) 2nd and 3rd respectively. Most everything else has been the same moderately enjoyable level except for a couple series in particular(one was ecchi fan service stuff and the other was a one shot by the best author but I've read most of his other works- especially the good ones).

For the initial reason I came to the thread, Does dancer count as a profession for the profession challenge?
Sep 15, 2015 10:11 PM

Jan 2010
I haven't read the korean novel of Watashi no Shiawase no Jikan so I don't know if Yumeka's manga is better or not but while I also credit the authors more I believe that it takes a great effort to translate a work in other forms and the artists skills affect the final result greatly. A great example is No Longer Human which Aoi Bungaku introduced to many anime fans, I love this book but I don't think the anime did it any justice. On the other hand Furuya's manga adaptation though it took a few liberties captured the essense and the atmosphere of the book way better than the anime and even the faithful yet dry live-action adaptation, so artists deserve to take a bit of credit too.

Otoyomegatari seems to have many positive reviews, I'm a kind of sad I didn't choose it for the challenge it instead of some poor choices I made.
Sep 16, 2015 5:35 PM

May 2010
FlameWingman21 said:

So far Bokurano, Hanshin (one-shot) and Umineko/Higurashi manga.

Anyway, I'm having real problems with this one: ➤Read a manga that you can relate to yourself

I thought it'd be easier to think of something, but I still have no idea what to choose @_@
Sep 17, 2015 12:17 AM

Jun 2014
While I thought Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan was good, there wasn't anything about it that made me really love it. I don't really know why people like it as much as they seem to.

FlameWingman21 said:

Song of the Long March and Shoukoku no Altair. I enjoy the politics and strategy in them, and I like the way they play with history. A Lollipop or a Bullet was also great, but depressing. And I enjoyed Aruosumente. Like other manga by Aki that I've read, even though there's nothing in the story that's extremely exciting, I still find myself getting excited. It's an odd feeling.

Kitsu-nee said:
Anyway, I'm having real problems with this one: ➤Read a manga that you can relate to yourself

I thought it'd be easier to think of something, but I still have no idea what to choose @_@

I didn't do that challenge, but it might help to look through some manga that deal with situations similar to what you might have gone through. Or maybe there's some manga that deal with emotions you have felt. Usually I think it's easy to get a feel for it by seeing the synopsis and some reviews.
Sep 18, 2015 9:02 AM

May 2013
hannagothic said:
Hi may i ask about debut manga for the great manga-ka Suzuki, Julietta
which one count for her debut manga i read about her work in Wikipedia and her first debut was
Ura Antique and it's not transleted in english and i can't find it in Mangaupdates or Myanimelist either
and her first Serie titled Akuma to Dolce
but her series Karakuri Odette known as Ourstanding Debut
which one of the three of them count as the legal debut manga
to use it in the 2015 Manga Reading Challenge

1. Ura Antique
2. Akuma to Dolce
3. Karakuri Odette

or can you help me with chose the right debut for the great manga-ka Shinjou, Mayu

How mean nobody helped this fellow.

Suzuki Julietta's debut should be Ura Antique. Wikipedia said so, but somehow can't be found anywhere. The same goes for her other one-shot, Asa ga Kuru. So, I guess Akuma to Dolce is what you should read. It was on hiatus though. Outstanding Debut is an award so it's not a real debut.

Shinjou Mayu's debut manga is Anata no Iro ni Somaritai aka Make Love Shiyo.

Thanks Wikipedia anyway.
Sep 18, 2015 9:43 AM

May 2013
Kitsu-nee said:

I don't pick this challenge because I know I can't tell if it's relatable to me or not before I actually start reading it. You may change it. No one will know. :D

dream_eater1012 said:
While I thought Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan was good, there wasn't anything about it that made me really love it. I don't really know why people like it as much as they seem to.

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan's spoiler
Sep 18, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2010
Kitsu-nee said:

I too chose that one without thinking and ended up having trouble choosing a title to fit the description. I wasn't sure if I could change what I had chosen so I decided to pick a few titles I already had in mind for the challenge and add there the first work which had characters I could relate to. Realistic slice of life manga should be perfect for this in general. Asano Inio's earlier works or titles like Yonensei are probably a good choice for young adults who don't feel that they've found a right place in society yet for example, autobiographic works such as Kakukaku Shikajika could be another solution. Stilletto Hills as a scanlation group have a fine selection of shoujo and josei titles you could check, most of them include drama but you may find something you can relate to.

On the other hand, if you are not into plain slice of life titles, manga like 'Again!!' which have a few fantasy elements and a school setting or maybe a bit more thought provoking titles like 'Regarding Death' would probably do the job. Even a manga like Yankee-kun to Megane-chan -which now I think about is the most 'cheerful' one of the titles I mentioned- could work.
Error205Sep 18, 2015 10:40 AM
Sep 18, 2015 2:14 PM

May 2010
Sooru said:
I too chose that one without thinking and ended up having trouble choosing a title to fit the description. I wasn't sure if I could change what I had chosen so I decided to pick a few titles I already had in mind for the challenge and add there the first work which had characters I could relate to. Realistic slice of life manga should be perfect for this in general.

I also thought that it'd be easier to pick something, but so far turned out to be the hardest one for me, probably. Didn't think about it before, but it's tough to judge whether manga has similar characters to you without watching anime first or something like that :D

And I don't want to 'cheat' with changing it, that's why it's a challenge after all ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Probably I'm going to do the same thing, read a few slice of life/shoujo manga and then pick something where protagonist was at least a bit similar to me :) Thanks for your recs!
Sep 18, 2015 4:58 PM

Jun 2014
FlameWingman21 said:

Through that I can see why someone may like it.

Anyways, thanks for sharing why you liked it. I think I've got a better understanding.
Sep 18, 2015 8:25 PM

May 2013
Anyone read and watch Eureka Seven here? Heard the anime and the manga got different story. Which one is better? Judging from the rating here, it should be the anime. Maybe I should go for both instead, but which should I start first? I would prefer to start with the better one since I don't think I'll go for the other if the first I go for doesn't amuse me.

dream_eater1012 said:

Through that I can see why someone may like it.

Anyways, thanks for sharing why you liked it. I think I've got a better understanding.

Can't help it if you don't like the setting. It can't please everyone, just like any other series. It's normal.
Sep 20, 2015 5:40 AM

Oct 2007
Kitsu-nee said:
Sooru said:
I too chose that one without thinking and ended up having trouble choosing a title to fit the description. I wasn't sure if I could change what I had chosen so I decided to pick a few titles I already had in mind for the challenge and add there the first work which had characters I could relate to. Realistic slice of life manga should be perfect for this in general.

I also thought that it'd be easier to pick something, but so far turned out to be the hardest one for me, probably. Didn't think about it before, but it's tough to judge whether manga has similar characters to you without watching anime first or something like that :D

And I don't want to 'cheat' with changing it, that's why it's a challenge after all ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Probably I'm going to do the same thing, read a few slice of life/shoujo manga and then pick something where protagonist was at least a bit similar to me :) Thanks for your recs!

For me I went into it wanting to read something specific, but it hasn't been fully scanlated yet (I'm a twin so I wanted to read Futago). In the end I ended up choosing GTO because I work as a teacher for teenagers and young adults and I'm a young adult. It doesn't have to be extremely similar. I guess it is difficult because you guys want to make it as similar as possible, that's very cool.

FlameWingman21 said:
dream_eater1012 said:

I personally enjoyed the drama and how tragic the situations these characters were in and how, through each other, they found some hope, but I don't consider it realistic at all.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Sep 20, 2015 9:51 AM

Jun 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
I personally enjoyed the drama and how tragic the situations these characters were in and how, through each other, they found some hope, but I don't consider it realistic at all.

I was looking at some reviews with spoilers to refresh my memory, and it does seem a little unrealistic.

But since it's been a while since I read the manga, I'm mostly just speaking from a vague memory of the story.
Sep 21, 2015 10:25 AM

May 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

How? Which part?
Sep 24, 2015 5:50 PM

Oct 2007
FlameWingman21 said:
tsuyokunaru said:

How? Which part?

Hmm I don't know what to say. It might be a perception thing, but the way the characters' lives were sort of entangled when they had no reason for connection and some of the plot points of the story just seems fictional to me I guess. Do I think the way the characters feel about their struggles and how they interact to each other is realistic? I do, but I don't think the whole thing is realistic.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Oct 15, 2015 7:19 AM

May 2013
I don't like Monster. Fight me.
Oct 17, 2015 1:47 PM

Apr 2014
FlameWingman21 said:
Nobody want to fight you it seems ^^
I completely understand why people wouldn't like Monster , even if personaly I like it quite a lot . I didn't read the manga but since the anime really look faithfull I feel like I can say my thoughts nonetheless : I just think it's a very good and well crafted thriller . I don't even like the genre in itself that much , but I just found it consistant from start to finish , way better than "20th century boys" in my opinion .
I think Naoki Urasawa might work better in anime for the simple reason that I found his style and way of doing things very "cinematographic" , maybe it is is slightly better with the anime version ? I don't know .

And now , it appear that in the middle of the MAL profile scandale uproar , I finished the challenge a second time ^^ .
big wall of text about my overall thought about the things I read and stuff ahead :

That's it . I'm really bad to talk about all the things I read , I really would have liked to be better at telling what I thought and say more things and more precisely , more in depth ... but well... I guess it's good enough... if someone care about all that of course haha ^^ . Sorry
DullboyOct 17, 2015 1:52 PM
Oct 17, 2015 10:14 PM

May 2013
Dullboy said:
FlameWingman21 said:
Nobody want to fight you it seems ^^
I completely understand why people wouldn't like Monster , even if personaly I like it quite a lot . I didn't read the manga but since the anime really look faithfull I feel like I can say my thoughts nonetheless : I just think it's a very good and well crafted thriller . I don't even like the genre in itself that much , but I just found it consistant from start to finish , way better than "20th century boys" in my opinion .
I think Naoki Urasawa might work better in anime for the simple reason that I found his style and way of doing things very "cinematographic" , maybe it is is slightly better with the anime version ? I don't know.

Lol I thought many would come and defend their favorite manga. It's a highly loved and praised manga after all. I don't think the problem is because Urasawa is better with anime since the manga is rated +9.00 here.

My problem with the manga is I think everything happened way too smoothly. I mean, for example,

I also don't believe the story of this manga is as smart as people said. The mangaka had already a clue about the Johan's goal and just threw out a clue slowly one by one. It's just like a guessing game. Don't get me wrong though. I actually like it very much at the beginning. Then, as I continued, it became a chore. Way too many characters introduced just to give Tenma a clue or two before disappearing forever.

Dullboy said:
And now , it appear that in the middle of the MAL profile scandale uproar , I finished the challenge a second time ^^ .
big wall of text about my overall thought about the things I read and stuff ahead :

That's it . I'm really bad to talk about all the things I read , I really would have liked to be better at telling what I thought and say more things and more precisely , more in depth ... but well... I guess it's good enough... if someone care about all that of course haha ^^ . Sorry

Added some that interest me into my plan to read. I actually wished more people would share their experience about the manga they read here. Thank you.
Oct 18, 2015 3:29 PM

Mar 2013
➤Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Hello, friends. I need a recommendation for this challenge.

I'm gonna take a queue from the guy above and write some brief things about what I've read so far(I'm 23/25ths done)

[spoiler]Nageku Shinegami - Cute, quick one shot. Got the job done and was enjoyable enough. Painless read.

Touch - A classic. Adachi is great even if he is a bit formulaic(it's his formula but still) A bit better than Cross Game. I'm enjoying Mix as well.

Otoyomegatari - Amazing. I honestly didn't realize manga could capture subject matter like this so tastefully and beautifully.

Piercing Great artist/author, mediocre story. I've read all his other stuff though.

All You Need Is Kill - Really good action manga, very quick read, EXTRAORDINARILY CREEPY WHEN YOU REALIZE IT BECAME A TOM CRUISE MOVIE AND CRUISE IS PLAYING A CHARACTER THAT WAS WRITTEN AS A TEENAGE ROOKIE SOLDIER. Still need to watch the movie to see how it comes off but like.. jesus christ, couldn't get a guy in his 20s or early 30s at least?

Ayako - I've noticed so many people talk bad about Tezuka stuff even though he is supposed to be a legend. I was nervous to start this. It ended up being a really well written story about a REALLY fucked up family situation.

The Friendly Winter - Pretty cute manhua. About handicap teenagers, really unique, to be honest. I'm glad they didn't take a romance angle.

Subaru & it's sequel MOON Good mangas, with really good art. Story is solid, even though it has some silliness to the story at several points.

Kakukaku Shikajika Probably the third or fourth best thing I read, the only reason I gave it a 8 instead of a 9 is because it dragged on a little bit, even though that's how life tends to be, given it's subject matter I probably shouldn't count that against it but I kinda do anyway.

Minamoto-Kun Monogatari Ecchi Harem with creepy(but hot) aunt vibes. Fun way to fulfill my Seinen requirement.

March Story Solid story with really good art. I was happy even with having to purchase a physical copy of this.

Orange Pretty solid Shoujo that doesn't really fall into to too many tropes, with a weird but solid sci-fi angle. Has a couple weird plot holes though.

Amanchu! Super cute school manga about a diving club by the author of Aria. It's really fantastic.

Berserk IT'S BERSERK MAN.

Bambino I really enjoyed reading a story about working in an italian restaurant because I used to do the same thing. Of course, the manga was way better than my actual experience had been.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime TBH, I don't really remember this too well, I just know that everyone had a freaky super power or was a supernatural monster. The main girl was p cute though.

Haikyuu Kuroko's Volleyball. Super awesome and hyped up sports manga. I fucking love sports manga man.

Aishteruze baby Short read thankfully. It was an alright story along similar lines as Usagi Drop with an ending almost as bad.

Nobunaga No Chef This is another really unique story. Modern chef somehow gets sent back to the Sengoku period and becomes Nobunaga's head chef(duh). He uses his knowledge of Japanese history to save himself, advise nobunaga, and woe his enemies via his steller cooking.

Sidonia No Kishi Drags on at points but it's a relatively good space mech war manga with some serious slice of life parts in between really long increasingly difficult fights with crowning moments of awesome and near misses everywhere

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo Just a decent twist on generic school harem manga.

Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku Really damn thoughtful manga with a really damn cool messege. Definitely a solid, albeit short read.
Oct 18, 2015 3:34 PM

Mar 2013
Sooru said:
Kitsu-nee said:

I too chose that one without thinking and ended up having trouble choosing a title to fit the description. I wasn't sure if I could change what I had chosen so I decided to pick a few titles I already had in mind for the challenge and add there the first work which had characters I could relate to. Realistic slice of life manga should be perfect for this in general. Asano Inio's earlier works or titles like Yonensei are probably a good choice for young adults who don't feel that they've found a right place in society yet for example, autobiographic works such as Kakukaku Shikajika could be another solution. Stilletto Hills as a scanlation group have a fine selection of shoujo and josei titles you could check, most of them include drama but you may find something you can relate to.

I had to really really stretch to make that challenge work TBH. I picked it because it was so easy to get it done for the Anime challenge but so so hard for manga. Even though I read Bambino before i started this challenge(read it in april- started challenge in june), I decided to use it because of how damn difficult it was to find something.
Oct 18, 2015 11:28 PM

Dec 2008
Hello, all! Is anyone willing to help me choose a manga about whichever profession? Personally, I've been thinking about giving Bambino! a try, but I am not entirely sure whether it actually focuses on restaurant business or not. Dullboy wrote that it has a sports manga feel to it, so I have my doubts about it fitting the bill for the category.

Speaking about the challenge itself, I was one title away from completing it before a slump hit me. The last two titles I read for the challenge were indeed challenging to complete because I couldn't finish a single chapter without having to move away for a bit before continuing.

You know, on second thought, I would also be grateful for any recommendation that would potentially help me get out of my "manga slump". Which manga impressed you the most in the recent months? Perhaps there's a classic that absolutely deserves one's attention?
Oct 19, 2015 12:27 AM

Jun 2014
AudioTsunami said:
➤Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

http://myanimelist.net/manga/14127/Satougashi_no_Dangan_wa_Uchinukenai:_A_Lollypop_or_A_Bullet
http://myanimelist.net/manga/373/Meteor_Methuselah
http://myanimelist.net/manga/50217/Kamisama_ga_Uso_wo_Tsuku

Yelenicus said:
Hello, all! Is anyone willing to help me choose a manga about whichever profession?

http://myanimelist.net/manga/544/Shigeshoushi

Speaking about the challenge itself, I was one title away from completing it before a slump hit me. The last two titles I read for the challenge were indeed challenging to complete because I couldn't finish a single chapter without having to move away for a bit before continuing.

You know, on second thought, I would also be grateful for any recommendation that would potentially help me get out of my "manga slump". Which manga impressed you the most in the recent months? Perhaps there's a classic that absolutely deserves one's attention?

There's not too much that's impressed me recently, mainly because I haven't been reading a lot of manga lately, but I read Song of the Long March and Shoukoku no Altair for the challenge and I still think they're great. They're both pretty heavy on war tactics, strategy, and politics, and they have pretty strong historical influence. You may or may not be into that.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/42001/Song_of_the_Long_March
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1605/Shoukoku_no_Altair

You could give Endless World a try if you don't mind something explicit.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12202/Endless_World

I read this a while ago, but Meteor Methuselah is a favorite of mine. It's got fun action.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/373/Meteor_Methuselah

If you're interested in anything about philosophy that's presented in a light way, there's Olimpos.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/11037/Olimpos

If you're interested in anything with weird one-shots, there's Rojiura Daiikku.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/90577/Rojiura_Daiikku

I don't know if any of these will be appealing or not.
Oct 19, 2015 2:55 AM

Apr 2014
Nice AudioTsunami , one or two manga you talked about look interesting to me , I'll keep them in mind , thanks for the little reviews .

AudioTsunami said:
I need a recommendation for this challenge
Ashita no Joe . All the way .
Your next 10 rated manga is waiting for you . huhu (no but looking at your list , it's 200 percent sure you would love it , I'm sure about it)

Yelenicus said:
Hello, all! Is anyone willing to help me choose a manga about whichever profession? Personally, I've been thinking about giving Bambino! a try, but I am not entirely sure whether it actually focuses on restaurant business or not.

It fit , you can use it for the "profession manga" , no problem . It does feel like a sport manga , but it's also very interesting about how the "other side of the restaurant" work , how the business work , the importance and skill necessity of a waiter and cook , there is even a all narative arc about what is a pastry cook and how the competition in the area work . It's definitly very interesting (you get to learn one or two italian words too if you want , it's a plus ^^) . What I mean is that sure it have some exageration , I don't know how much it's faithfull to reality , but it's well-informed manga on the subject , that's sure .

As mentioned by dream_eater there is also "Shigeshoushi" . I actually read it for the challenge too , but forgot to talk about it . It's quite good , not as instructing on the profession of embalmer than I would have liked , but it really make you understand what it the importance of this profession . It's a josei , and it have some focus on romance too .

Now for "good things" recommendation , I can give you some random idea I guess :

- Ai-Ren . Seems it not so well known manga, it really is hard to rate it , and I kind of am conflicted about it , but I think people should try it , definitly . You know how people say things like "Clannad broke my heart , I cried so much ." , well I can only wonder what would happen if they read this manga , they would probably die of dehydration hahahaha . It's been long time I have read it , but that romance drama hit like a trunck , it build up for that . Myself I hate when I feel manipulated to feel , but for that one , I don't know , it's strong . It really is .

- Gunslinger Girl . Very recommended , I still think about it time to time to be true . I don't know , some things it really were interesting and made me reflect on some subjects . I would recommend it to a lot of people .

- Itaitashii Love . Because even if you don't like it , it's good to experience Nananan style at least once . You don't like it you drop it , but I engage people to read of her , for me it's one of my favorit female mangaka artist . She would represente "the essence of what josei is and mean" for me .

- Doctor Du Ming . If your searching for a Manhua , is quite the interesting read , I liked the twist it made in the story . A sort of dark romance , and the way the face were draw was quite beautifull sometime , if I recall .

Well it's very random recommendation , it might not be to your taste but I tried .
DullboyOct 19, 2015 12:54 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 »

More topics from this board

» Help Identifying Japanese Characters(Letters) in manga

JoestarEISH_020 - 2 hours ago

3 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1088 by KeIIion »»
3 hours ago

» Top 100 manga evolution 2016-2023

Patatita - 3 hours ago

0 by Patatita »»
3 hours ago

» Why so much ntr in manhwa?

TheRacist11 - May 12

13 by Coaghim »»
10 hours ago

» When do you consider a manga to be "long" ( 1 2 )

Curlybrace101 - Sep 3, 2023

74 by Rhae »»
Today, 12:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.