Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 9, 2016 11:54 PM

Oct 2013
Hmm. They didnt make the first episode intriguing enough for people to follow ep2.

I'm going to watch ep2 to see what's going on before deciding further...🤔🤔
Jul 10, 2016 12:38 AM

May 2015
instead of sobbing like a worthless pleb
get out of the fucking hole you tard
Jul 10, 2016 12:47 AM

Oct 2013
all female characters are annoying :/
Jul 10, 2016 12:47 AM

Mar 2010
Pretty sure she wasn't trying to kill him by burying him alive.. Maybe she was thinking it would be safer for him to hide in the ground instead of trying to fight the zombies? :x

MC actually seems pretty normal if you ask me. As in "real-world average college student" kind of normal, not "anime MC" normal.. Most humans, regardless of what they hope or say, fall under the "flight" portion of fight/flight response when actually confronted with a life threatening situation and frequently have the deer-in-the-headlights response if the situation is beyond the scope of expected reality. Doesn't make him any better of a lead role, but at least his reactions were natural.

... I think I too would probably try to negotiate with the crazy lady who was trying to bury me after whacking me in the head with a shovel before trying to run away again.. since the first time I ran didn't go so well... >.>

Seems like it could be quite fun to watch, or just as easily become a trainwreck... I'm looking forward to finding out which it'll end up as. XD
The only big red flag I picked up on from the first episode was the noticeably jiggly OP sequence.. Really wasn't expecting non-zombie-killing fanservice from this at all.
Jul 10, 2016 12:48 AM
Jul 2009
It's alright. Felt a little rushed for a first episode. But good to see some collaboration between Chinese and Japanese. Guess they can break down that tension with anime lol
Jul 10, 2016 1:01 AM
Mar 2016
I think I liked the first episode. the music was good though. I hope it gets better with the comedy
Jul 10, 2016 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
Don't quite understand this yet but I'm keeping an open mind cause it looks kinda interesting
Jul 10, 2016 5:55 AM
Jul 2013
Fai said:
Liked the first ep.

Both female and male Mcs are quite eccentric. The female mc's apathy-attitude was downright hilarious to watch and the male MC had some very realistic reactions to everything going on around him.
And it seems the show won't be straight up zombie-action but instead have some sort of mystery behind it. Certainly intrigued.

7/10 for the show so far. Hope it keeps it up. I am sure people will be overly judgemental to this because "oh muh not animu not japanese"

And blind fanboys will argue all day "oh you don't like it because it's not 100% japanese".

It was a really bad episode, like a 3/10.
Jul 10, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2013
Why are the names in the audio and the subs different? Did they change the names to Japanese ones when they dubbed this, lmao? Tfw people'll complain if English dubs do this but apparently even Japan does it too.
Jul 10, 2016 8:28 AM

Sep 2009
leewoeijye1996 said:
OMG there are so many people misunderstanding the main plot .The show is not about the zombie but about the chinese " 道术“. Just give it a try for 3episodes I think you guy would like it.

Thanks for pointing this out! I didn't recognize the Taoism theme because I'm not familiar with it. I went to look it up a bit after seeing your comment :)

The translations use the Chinese terms as it is but doesn't explain it so it's hard to understand. Gonna post a bit of what I find here for what it's worth.

Qingming Festival (清明节): aka tomb sweeping day whereby the Chinese visit the graves of their ancestors to offer prayer
Jiangshi (僵尸): Chinese hopping ghost/vampire/zombie. You know, the ones wearing a Qing dynasty official's clothes and hopping around with their arms stretched out in front of them.
Xiangxi ganshi (湘西赶尸): Refers to a folk practice popular in Xiangxi prefecture where most people go to other areas to work. When they die far away from home and their family can't afford to bring the body home, that's when they get the Taoist priest to reanimate the corpse and have it hop its way home.

Episode 1 didn't leave an impression on me. Feels messy in some parts too. I need to watch another episode or two before I can form an opinion.
Jul 10, 2016 8:55 AM

Jul 2012
Went into this with no expectations and it blew me away

i mean that in the worst possible way..

brb looking for way to lower expectations even more..

10/10 IGN
Jul 10, 2016 8:56 AM
Jun 2013
This mc is like the most annoying one I've come accross in awhile. Too dumb to get out of the grave and run away from danger. Will follow this just for bao.
Jul 10, 2016 9:00 AM
May 2015
velvetprayer said:
leewoeijye1996 said:
OMG there are so many people misunderstanding the main plot .The show is not about the zombie but about the chinese " 道术“. Just give it a try for 3episodes I think you guy would like it.

Thanks for pointing this out! I didn't recognize the Taoism theme because I'm not familiar with it. I went to look it up a bit after seeing your comment :)

The translations use the Chinese terms as it is but doesn't explain it so it's hard to understand. Gonna post a bit of what I find here for what it's worth.

Qingming Festival (清明节): aka tomb sweeping day whereby the Chinese visit the graves of their ancestors to offer prayer
Jiangshi (僵尸): Chinese hopping ghost/vampire/zombie. You know, the ones wearing a Qing dynasty official's clothes and hopping around with their arms stretched out in front of them.
Xiangxi ganshi (湘西赶尸): Refers to a folk practice popular in Xiangxi prefecture where most people go to other areas to work. When they die far away from home and their family can't afford to bring the body home, that's when they get the Taoist priest to reanimate the corpse and have it hop its way home.

Episode 1 didn't leave an impression on me. Feels messy in some parts too. I need to watch another episode or two before I can form an opinion.
Its really hard to be translated to others language when it come to chinese. Even japanese translated the 清明节 to 精灵节 ( Elf festival ). The pace of anime is slow because it have to adapted the manga. The masterpiece of this manga is about the fight of Taoism of different clan but I don't think will be animated according the director state. Sorry for my broken english.
Jul 10, 2016 9:21 AM

Sep 2009
leewoeijye1996 said:
Its really hard to be translated to others language when it come to chinese. Even japanese translated the 清明节 to 精灵节 ( Elf festival ). The pace of anime is slow because it have to adapted the manga. The masterpiece of this manga is about the fight of Taoism of different clan but I don't think will be animated according the director state. Sorry for my broken english.

Yeah it can't be helped.. There is always some inaccuracy or loss of cultural references when translating to another language. Oh man 清明节 and 精灵节 are completely different things :'D

I didn't read the manhua but the story sounds interesting if we are going to see a battle between different Taoist clans. Hopefully the anime will do a good job animating the manhua.
Jul 10, 2016 10:23 AM

Dec 2008
I already miss HOTD again.
>Xiangxi Ganshi practioner.
Yes yes. Much sense made.

Ending is really cute. I mean, it was okay overall. Nothing too special, but it wasn't too bad either. Some cringe worthy moments here and there though. Still, I missed me some zombie anime, so glad I have one now!

Pink haired chick best chick who is probably a cannibal. Hot. Will watch next week.

MC was pure retard though.
>Only tries to escape grave once.
>Yells for chick to stop without actually trying to stop her himself.
>Is a cringe worthy crybaby.

Baobao and cannibal lady(even if she isnt a cannibal, it's fun to call her that), I believe in you.
sarroushJul 10, 2016 10:28 AM
Jul 10, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2013
Uhhh, I'm going to continue because I'm interested in the plot, but goddamn it will be hard to do so if I keep swinging my hand into my face via mc retardation. I might drop this later - looking like it's going to be a disappointment. Hoping things will pick up quick.
Trigger_ChanJul 10, 2016 10:56 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:53 AM

Dec 2014
Really don't understand any of this so she is a detective and she was there to actually find out what happened to the graves? But why did she want to kill the MC? Not just that why wouldn't he try running away or why would he not use his lightening power that he seemed to have? Was that the MCs lightening power? Felt like nothing was really explained and the comedy was so forced and very unfunny I hope it improves over the next few episodes.
Jul 10, 2016 12:29 PM

Jul 2013
I was kinda surprised with how bad it was. I love zombie stuff, but this is pretty bad even for a zombie-lover. MC could have jumped out of that pit at any time. It's not like she was restraining him or anything. This felt more like a comedy show than a serious horror/psychological show. Too bad.
Jul 10, 2016 2:38 PM

Jun 2014
This was pretty bad, might watch it for the lulz.
:3
Jul 10, 2016 3:02 PM

Apr 2015
It's a bit 'meh.'
Chulan's annoying, the dialogue is stilted and unnatural in places and unless there is a reason, not being introduced to characters (in this case, that guy at the bus stop) the main protagonist converses with frustrates me to no end.
Kind of curious about what Chulan's power is though.
Jul 10, 2016 9:17 PM

Oct 2011
Like thr Op and Ed songs
Jul 10, 2016 10:26 PM

Nov 2014
To tell the truth I'm kinda disappointed. I did expect more of this anime and was so excited, but it was so mehhh. Do you just wait there to be buried alive and do nothing? Literally ... I mean, who does that? Not to mention I was so confused at first when I heard the chinese names - pretty sure it's not how you pronounce them.
Well, we'll see how it goes...
Jul 10, 2016 11:00 PM

Aug 2015
Will drop it. I appreciate Haoliners' effort to enter the Japanese anime scene but they'll have a long way to go. It feels like Chinese animation's in that "I want to be an American cartoon" stage right now.
Jul 11, 2016 12:13 AM

Sep 2008
Holy frack, that MC is so damn annoying. Constant bitching, whining and talking.

Just shut the fuck up already....ugh... I fully expect to drop this after a few more episodes. I can get over many things, MC being not only unlikeable but also unbearable is not one of them.
Jul 11, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2012
Only 6.4 !!?

It was not that bad
Jul 11, 2016 4:05 AM

Jul 2015
ah... wasn't that interesting but since its going for the collage not a freaking middle school, ill give it a shot continue watching :)
Jul 11, 2016 6:37 AM
Jul 2016
1. the anime description doesn't match the anime?
2. the overall story is actually pretty good (read the manhua), but wtf happened to the 1st ep. i wish they'd try to make it a bit more ... appealing?
3. what is wrong with the mc. like, i know his reaction is normal, but i think they overexaggerated his retardedness.
4. i think baobao is everyone's fav character here rn lol

sorta hyped, but got a bit disappointed by first ep. gave it a 3/5. lets hope the next couple of episodes changes my mind.
Jul 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Sep 2014
Very average first episode, but I guess I will check out next week's episode. The OP and ED are both really good. Story is decent, but the main character is pretty much dragging the show down with his stupidity. Judging from the next episode preview, looks like he might be a little bit more tolerable I hope.
Jul 11, 2016 12:44 PM

Jul 2015
Wait... What? Were starting with the opening? No build-up or explanations or anything? I'm not used to this... I am however used to crap main characters. A bit too used to it. At what point is a girl slowly throwing dirt on you the end of your life, I feel there was so, so very much he could have done instead of yelling while taking it like that, and then he throws the dirt off anyway, so it felt like a huge waste of time. He upsets me. I don't like him at all.

The girl is cool, looks cute, and is athletic and tough, and doesn't suck. I like her lack of personality. If I continue watching this, it's gonna be for her. You'd think there would be more blood considering the way shes slicing up those zombies though.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 11, 2016 7:28 PM

Mar 2009
That had a weird feel to it. I didn't not like it, but something about it just seemed off. I did like the characters. I don't know, it was like the timing was off. If that makes sense. It's like every scene was getting ahead of itself and had to catch up.

I think it has potential. But with as big as my list for the season is getting, I may come back and marathon this one later.
Jul 12, 2016 3:26 AM
Jul 2011
Man this show is strange...
Are all the Chinase cartoons like this?
Jul 12, 2016 8:42 AM

Oct 2014
Justice_Pursuer said:
Can't he just get out of the freaking pit -_-"

This... I kept thinking this is being annoyed all along..
Jul 12, 2016 3:44 PM

Sep 2015
Fai said:
Liked the first ep.

Both female and male Mcs are quite eccentric. The female mc's apathy-attitude was downright hilarious to watch and the male MC had some very realistic reactions to everything going on around him.

Wait, what was realistic about the guy letting himself be buried without even attempting to get out? She shoveled one bit of dirt onto his midriff - one that clearly wouldn't have inhibited his movement in any way - and he just sits there screaming for help, rather than, you know, getting up like any normal person would do.

Considering he clearly didn't want to be buried alive, I'm not quite sure how purposely letting himself get buried is "realistic".
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jul 12, 2016 4:43 PM

Aug 2008
Maz said:

Wait, what was realistic about the guy letting himself be buried without even attempting to get out? She shoveled one bit of dirt onto his midriff - one that clearly wouldn't have inhibited his movement in any way - and he just sits there screaming for help, rather than, you know, getting up like any normal person would do.

Considering he clearly didn't want to be buried alive, I'm not quite sure how purposely letting himself get buried is "realistic".

he first runned, but got caught up and got hit in the head hard,

then he tried to get up from the hole but got pushed back,

he then tried to ask her to let him go by saying hes her brother, but got told that she isnt her sister and her id is fake.

later when the girl is busy fighting, the place is surrounded by zombies, so he couldnt run away.

pls use some brain.
Jul 12, 2016 4:50 PM

Sep 2015
KonW said:
Maz said:

he then tried to ask her to let him go by saying hes her brother, but got told that she isnt her sister and her id is fake.

later when the girl is busy fighting, the place is surrounded by zombies, so he couldnt run away.

pls use some brain.

He got caught because he stopped. Not because she caught up to him and trapped him. So there's no reason for him to think he can't outrun her.

He tried to get out the hole in a slow fashion, and didn't even try to go out the side opposite her. He climbed out towards her.

#3 is fine, he was still trying.

#4 is past the point I'm talking about. The zombies hadn't even came up when she first started shoveling dirt on him, yet he just sat there screaming not to be buried alive whilst doing nothing to stop it.

Right back at you, pls use some brain.
Jul 12, 2016 4:56 PM

Aug 2008
Maz said:
KonW said:

pls use some brain.

He got caught because he stopped. Not because she caught up to him and trapped him. So there's no reason for him to think he can't outrun her.

He tried to get out the hole in a slow fashion, and didn't even try to go out the side opposite her. He climbed out towards her.

#4 is past the point I'm talking about. The zombies hadn't even came up when she first started shoveling dirt on him, yet he just sat there screaming not to be buried alive whilst doing nothing to stop it.

the problem is that he clearly cant out run her.

not even to mention the fact she jumps around like a ninjia killing zombies, while hes just a normal student,

he tried once, stopped, checked 360, believed he's rid of her, but got hit in the head that can instantly kill him without even noticing, and got dragged to be burried,

anyone with a brain would understand the situation, essentially like a guy holding a gun at you, if you run again you might just die instantly(she would ninja jump at him again and hit him, this time might kill him),

so all he left is begging for his life,

i admit it's kind annoying how he whines but it has nothing to do with the plot but the voice acting director, and i admit it could be made more easier to understand like adding one more line to the p like "cant run a way, what do i do?" so ppl like you would get the situation without the need of further explaining
KonWJul 12, 2016 5:00 PM
Jul 12, 2016 4:59 PM

Sep 2015
KonW said:
Maz said:

the problem is that he clearly cant out run her.

not even to mention the fact she jumps around like a ninjia killing zombies, while hes just a normal student,

he tried once, stopped, checked 360, believed he's rid of her, but got hit in the head that can instantly kill him without even noticing, and got dragged to be burried,

anyone with a brain would understand the situation, essentially like a guy holding a gun at you, if you run again you might just die instantly(she would ninja jump at him again and hit him, this time might kill him),

so all he left is begging for his life,

i admit it's kind annoying how he whines but it has nothing to do with the plot but the voice acting director

The problem is none of the actions up until that point could possibly have lead him to an ironclad conclusion that escape is impossible. Him stopping and taking a quick look around doesn't mean it would have been impossible for him to have missed her. I mean, if someone's chasing another person then they'd want to be stealthy about it because it brings many advantages.

Yet again all the shit she did to the zombies has absolutely fuck all to do with what I'm saying, because it happens after the part I'm talking about. It's completely irrelevant.

No, it isn't like holding a gun at someone. She had a spade and that was it to his knowledge. I'd hedge my bets and run for it if someone were to chase me with a shovel, because they're cumbersome and heavy. Even if she were faster than him - and at this point, there's absolutely nothing to make him believe she is because he had already stopped - the shovel would definitely slow her down.
Jul 12, 2016 5:04 PM

Aug 2008
Maz said:

The problem is none of the actions up until that point could possibly have lead him to an ironclad conclusion that escape is impossible. Him stopping and taking a quick look around doesn't mean it would have been impossible for him to have missed her. I mean, if someone's chasing another person then they'd want to be stealthy about it because it brings many advantages.

Yet again all the shit she did to the zombies has absolutely fuck all to do with what I'm saying, because it happens after the part I'm talking about. It's completely irrelevant.

No, it isn't like holding a gun at someone. She had a spade and that was it to his knowledge. I'd hedge my bets and run for it if someone were to chase me with a shovel, because they're cumbersome and heavy. Even if she were faster than him - and at this point, there's absolutely nothing to make him believe she is because he had already stopped - the shovel would definitely slow her down.

it could be made more easier to understand like adding one more line to the p like "cant run a way, what do i do?" so ppl like you would get the situation instantly,

i understand that if its you youd risk your life or getting hit by a shovel again try running away, but youre not the protagonist,

our p chose to try to convince her by saying he's her brother, and i dont see anythng wrong with that,

by the time he knew that couldnt work its already too late as hes surrounded by zombies that he never saw in his life before,
KonWJul 12, 2016 5:42 PM
Jul 12, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2015
The zombies were out of place, not a bad episode but I'm not impressed.

Jul 12, 2016 6:40 PM

Oct 2015
For the first episode i can see that the Girl loves to bury people :O she tried to bury MC alive, so probably she did that before rofl? also i hope he doesnt forgive her so easly but well its an anime(chinese) everything is ok now she gona start following MC for everywhere and ofc she has a past horrible one since she is kinda the "doesnt give a fuck character" xD anyway i enjoyed the first episode lets see how this goes and if i dont drop it before it ends :D
Jul 13, 2016 12:13 AM

Sep 2015
KonW said:
Maz said:

it could be made more easier to understand like adding one more line to the p like "cant run a way, what do i do?" so ppl like you would get the situation instantly,

i understand that if its you youd risk your life or getting hit by a shovel again try running away, but youre not the protagonist,

our p chose to try to convince her by saying he's her brother, and i dont see anythng wrong with that,

by the time he knew that couldnt work its already too late as hes surrounded by zombies that he never saw in his life before,

The only one not getting the situation here is you. Did you even watch the episode? I'll repeat myself yet again - the zombies had not yet shown up and surrounded him at the time I'm talking about. After his convincing failed, he still just sat there. He wasn't getting stopped, he wasn't surrounded by zombies. He just sat there crying for help whilst doing nothing to actually save himself. In a life or death situation, you either fight or flight. He did neither.

And it wasn't like he was paralysed with fear either, else he wouldn't have been sitting there screaming so much. He was moving around fine before that too.

So no, if you actually saw the episode, his actions don't add up.
Jul 13, 2016 2:24 AM
Dec 2015
there is no limit episode so hope to see this anime for longer episode nice
Jul 13, 2016 3:40 AM

Aug 2008
Maz said:

The only one not getting the situation here is you. Did you even watch the episode? I'll repeat myself yet again - the zombies had not yet shown up and surrounded him at the time I'm talking about. After his convincing failed, he still just sat there. He wasn't getting stopped, he wasn't surrounded by zombies. He just sat there crying for help whilst doing nothing to actually save himself. In a life or death situation, you either fight or flight. He did neither.

And it wasn't like he was paralysed with fear either, else he wouldn't have been sitting there screaming so much. He was moving around fine before that too.

So no, if you actually saw the episode, his actions don't add up.

alright, seems you just cant understand, let me break it down to you moment to moment

1) at first, he decided that he has a higher chance of survival by trying to convince her that he's her brother, rather than risking his life trying to fight a ninja WITH BARE HANDS that was digging graves in the midnight, killing zombies like a pro(she killed one directly in front of his eyes before trying to burry him) ,

2)since she clearly doesnt want him to be out of that hole and had already pushed him down once when he tried to climb out, she could stab him with that giant knife or hit him with the shovel again if he tries to climb up again, both of which can be extremely deadly for a man left in a hole. since it's already obvious she's here to kill him(burry alive), theres no reason she wont use these weapons to limit him from climbing up if he dared tries climbing up again.

3)now since our protagonist is just a normal human boy not able to jump 10 feet high directly out of the grave hole, he's now left without other choices but whining, for the moment, becasue theres still quite some time before its too late, when he's completely burried, it would maximize his chance of survival trying to beg for a while,(becasue she might let him live in the end), so he chose so rather than forcing himself a deadly climb, in all sense, its too early for that,

4) after some begging, the woman is gone, he thought its the chance to climb up and run a way, only to find him and the grave being surrounded by zombies, now climbing out to face the zombies seemed like a suicide, so he decided to hide/stay in the grave hole,

what the protagonists did made perfect sense, all maximized his chance of survival, which imo is exactly whats to be expected from a human being with some logical thinking, like someone from a college, rather than following the animal instincts of fight of flight
KonWJul 13, 2016 4:02 AM
Jul 13, 2016 4:09 AM

Jun 2014
The real mystery here is why the defeated Zombies keep disappearing and reappearing inbetween edits.
Animations errors aside, this wasn't a good episode by any means.
Almost nothing adds up.
Jul 14, 2016 12:24 AM
Jun 2013
Its OK, so far - I'll stick with it for a bit to see if anything spices up; this definitely was not a stellar episode, however. Chulan is so annoying and helpless, though. Like shut the hell up.
Jul 14, 2016 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
The first episode was okay, it's pretty average with an emotionless girl. Seen that trope played so many times. Still, it has great potential and I hope everything improves as the episodes progress.

From what I know this is from a Chinese webtoon and I'm sure the webtoon is more detailed. The Chinese names are throwing me off. I'd rather they just put the Japanese names but I guess for webtoon readers, it's easier. Reminds me of how they subbed Noblesse.
臭い-
Jul 14, 2016 8:03 AM

Jun 2013
the Op is cool and it was okayish
Jul 15, 2016 12:35 PM

Dec 2012
Not bad, but the MC was really annoying. Why he stayed in the pit ? He could get out whenever he wanted it.
Jul 16, 2016 7:57 AM

May 2015
Can't say I'm really impressed so far. I can't take it serious so far as well, but Xu looks good, though, lol.

Other than that, meh episode to be honest.

Jul 16, 2016 6:09 PM

Jul 2010
that was dumb... he could have climbed out of there ages ago but no he decides to stay
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitori no Shita: The Outcast Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

17 by MesDerOse »»
Today, 1:51 AM

» Is this good???

RjtheGreat14 - Jul 20, 2023

6 by SakuraCosmos »»
Jul 22, 2023 1:55 AM

Poll: » Hitori no Shita: The Outcast Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2016

27 by Gutzdeep42 »»
Jul 11, 2023 3:43 PM

Poll: » Hitori no Shita: The Outcast Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

40 by isamu_niraj »»
Jun 8, 2023 1:28 AM

» Original Chinese audio?

SleepyBear - Jul 30, 2016

4 by Yexel »»
Apr 4, 2023 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.