Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Are you guys Disappointed (want to drop this), Neutral (wait and see), or Excited (can't wait to see more)?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 21, 2013 9:15 AM

Nov 2009
PronedToManga said:
There were already rumours which were spread around the class, or even the entire school about her "abnormality". So if they do find out that the rumours are in fact the truth about Kotoura, how would that result in full-scale shock? Considering they already, in a way, know about her skill initially.

Take for instance, a rumour about Classmate A and Classmate B being in a relationship was to be circulated, and five days later Classmate A openly revealed that he was indeed dating Classmate B. People would just accept it with a nod and probably comment with a "Ha, I knew it!" and not be going wild about not expecting this confession.

Therefore, if Kotoura actually hides her ability (it doesn't seem hard NOT to comment about people's thoughts) I think it would give her a better result. The fact that her friend found out the truth about her was because they are her friends. It's not easy to get caught by people who are not by your side almost every minute. If she was to just keep quiet...

Rumours? There was nothing indicating that there were rumours about her ability in that school (or at least before she replied to the teacher's thought).

IntroverTurtle said:
Yes but this hasn't been the first school that she's been at. She's known about humans dark side since she was a child, and how they act when they know her power, why should she think anything is different.
Like I said you can still have no contact with people but not be called a monster. If she said something rude and mean they would have left her alone, revealing that she can read minds gets her looked at with disgust and contempt, people will call her a monster and will curse her in their mind whenever they see her.

Yeah that's if she isn't mean. If she was mean maybe even beat up a girl I don't think anyone would try to get close to her,and she wouldn't be called a monster. She's supposed to be a girl who's life was ruined because she has that power. Why would she keep on revealing that she could use it.

Well, in a way, being open about her ability is actually being a good thing for her, she's making open minded friends who don't mind her ability.
If she happened to go to a school that had no open minded people who would be willing to become friends with her, if she wasn't close with anyone and pushed people away by replying somewhat rudely to others thoughts, I find it more likely that others would just avoid her/leave her alone (with the occasional "she's creepy" thought) than actually bully her or call her (either through words or thoughts) a monster.

IntroverTurtle said:
They didn't show us her trying to hide it, I believe we've only seen her as a child when she revealed it willy nilly then in highschool.

There was a small scene from her middle school days too, the scene starts with 2 girls who she considered friends calling her "liar". It was right before the cat scene, I think.
ezodagromJan 21, 2013 9:45 AM
Jan 21, 2013 9:34 AM

Nov 2011
kickthebucket said:
MagicFlier said:
tsudecimo said:
it is only 2 eps and it is already more exciting and interesting than sakurasou so fuck off.

Can't we just rate both Sakurasou and Kotoura-san 10/10?

Mind-reading romance =/= Romance between a prodigy and a normal hardworking person

Their both amazing with their own lovely heroines...

+1

+2 Don't compare them just yet :P

I don't think we should be getting so worked up on the details or technicalities, that's one way to lose interest in anime: when everything is not perfect. Even if there are some minor problems to be had with Kotoura-san, it more than makes up with the uniqueness, dynamics, emotionality, and reactionablitiy (invented this word) in the characters. Here's to hoping for the huge potential development for characters.
Jan 21, 2013 1:41 PM

Jun 2012
I am not sure, what I should think about the show, if this show is epic or just an average one, sometimes boring, sometimes not so boring anime.
The idea of the story is epic, but we already have a break and several flaws.
Not knowing what to expect from an airing show feels very odd...
ChepriJan 29, 2013 11:42 AM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Jan 21, 2013 11:47 PM

Nov 2012
ezodagrom said:
Rumours? There was nothing indicating that there were rumours about her ability in that school (or at least before she replied to the teacher's thought).

Well, in a way, being open about her ability is actually being a good thing for her, she's making open minded friends who don't mind her ability.
If she happened to go to a school that had no open minded people who would be willing to become friends with her, if she wasn't close with anyone and pushed people away by replying somewhat rudely to others thoughts, I find it more likely that others would just avoid her/leave her alone (with the occasional "she's creepy" thought) than actually bully her or call her (either through words or thoughts) a monster.

I'm pretty sure there were already rumours about her due to her experiences in her previous school.

Yes, revealing her abilities is currently proving to be a good thing but a guy like Manabe belongs to a rare species of goofballs that don't mind abnormalities. So if she actually put on a mean act, I'm guessing that Manabe would still try to make friends with her. It could still be a win-win situation.

If she did enter a school with no open-minded people, as you mentioned, unveiling her powers would definitely make people think she's a freak, why would they not? A freak is defined as a person (or animal) that deviates from nature; a monster. Her having abilities that is not natural makes her a freak/monster. Yes, they would indeed "leave her alone" but only physically, they would go on and on about her weird features as a human mentally.
Jan 22, 2013 3:15 AM
Sep 2011
Just one thing I don't understand though. She claims she cannot control the ability so basically whenever she goes out, thousands of thought from passerby will pour into her head. I wonder how she can stay sane after all that. If she requires eye contact or something similar to read thought then she could just simply look away to avoid reading their mind right?
Jan 22, 2013 3:55 AM
Jun 2008
^
its kinda hard to avoid when the words are pointing at her.Denying reply which direct to her is like denying own existence.Its human basic instinct, can't be help .
Jan 22, 2013 5:13 AM

Nov 2012
Lonestar91 said:
Just one thing I don't understand though. She claims she cannot control the ability so basically whenever she goes out, thousands of thought from passerby will pour into her head. I wonder how she can stay sane after all that. If she requires eye contact or something similar to read thought then she could just simply look away to avoid reading their mind right?

I've been thinking about that too.. This would be another illogical part of the show, I guess.

It's all so confusing. Well, if you pick out one or two little flaws that this show have, it's still pretty nice to watch. If it's not, I would have dropped it from episode one.

MorningGlory said:
^
its kinda hard to avoid when the words are pointing at her.Denying reply which direct to her is like denying own existence.Its human basic instinct, can't be help .

In the first place the thoughts are not phrased in a question directed at her so there's not really an urgent need to reply.

Also, if I overhear someone talking bad about me behind my back, I would ignore it because I don't give a shit what strangers think. And, I'm a normal human, does that mean I have no basic instinct as one? Besides, you must consider that Kotoura had been facing all sorts of insults since young. It's sort of unbelievable that she cannot ignore them after many years of exposure to them.
Jan 22, 2013 6:42 AM

Jan 2011
^ She just said that its hard if she not see the object, not impossible. Well, I dont see any problem if that scene is a flaw in your opinion, just minor scene after all.
PronedToManga said:

The problem is, she doesn't want people to think she's a freak/ monster.

She only wanted people to ignore her existence so that she doesn't have to go through all that "abandoning" stuff all over again. Episode 2 shows that she can probably handle bad-mouthing or insulting only to a certain (small) extent. If she stayed inconspicuous, rumours will die eventually. On the contrary, if she flaunts her power in the way of responding to others' thoughts, she'll garner even more vicious insults, hence backfiring on her.

Actually, I dont see any problem when Kotoura handling people's insult to her in first episode. If I remember correctly, episode 1 takes several weeks, and when Manabe try to talk to Kotoura, he said "so you're really can read mind!" or something like that. It means rumour about her mind-reading already spread and there's possibility some people have thought her a monster, and Kotoura seems didnt have any trouble about that. So I think she actually dont care about people calling her monster or whatever.

And, when she throw up in episode 2 is really different matter, in episode 1 she has meet Manabe. In episode 2 she meets ESP club members and actually success about the fortune-telling things. She find maybe there's hope, which not exist in her previous school. Its only natural that her mental "guard" had lowered a bit.

More so, its one-on-one situation when Kotoura can't talk back to Moritani because its ESP club's activity, and what makes Kotoura throw up its not just because Moritani called her monster, but mental pressures before that. Imagine if Moritani just have said "You're creepy. Get out of here, monster", would Kotoura throw up just like that? I dont think so. And I have to mention, Moritani's mind in that situation, her words' cruelty is a whole different level.
===
And I just wonder, Kotoura reply mostly all people's thought because she merely hate facade, just want to reply it out immediately and dont care what people think about her. It's just her personality thanks to her past (remember it again, Kotoura's mental state in early episode 1 is different in episode 2)
Jan 22, 2013 10:03 AM

Jun 2010
Yo guys. Where in episode two. Why are you comparing it to Sakurasou?

Why did it turn out to this? Why is it that you guys are analyzing the series deeply? Is it because of the amazing episode one? Is this the most hyped series for this season? Next SAO? I didn't even know this series until I watched the first episode.

All Anime has it flaws. To be honest, I wouldn't say episode one was epic. If we are discussing about first episodes then this could not be even compared to the first episode of GC. I enjoyed the first episode of this series as much as the first episode of Koichoco. The rest of koichoco was crap. I did consider it to be the better Anime this season when I watched the first episode, but not the best.

The elements of this series is all messed up. If this is a rom-com Anime then the art is just fine. No real problem in the animation. If this is a rom-com then the sound is just fine. But I feel like they don't wanna do it as a rom-com Anime. They are forcing other elements in it. I won't really say that the forced drama doesn't fit this series but something is off. The mental brutality inserted in this series is just wayyyyyyyy to offfff. They are like flux lines, they don't intersect!

In my opinion, they should have done the first episode as it is, rom - com in the first half with some character progression and then the main story comes in the second half.

Anyways, why are you guys discussing the plot? I'm not really reading the Manga version of this but are they not following it? Because you guys seems pretty disappointed with the plot considering we are not reaching episode 6 yet...
Jan 22, 2013 11:15 AM

Nov 2012
furuuru said:
^

Actually, I dont see any problem when Kotoura handling people's insult to her in first episode.
It means rumour about her mind-reading already spread and there's possibility some people have thought her a monster, and Kotoura seems didnt have any trouble about that. So I think she actually dont care about people calling her monster or whatever.

She find maybe there's hope, which not exist in her previous school. Its only natural that her mental "guard" had lowered a bit.

Imagine if Moritani just have said "You're creepy. Get out of here, monster", would Kotoura throw up just like that? I dont think so. And I have to mention, Moritani's mind in that situation, her words' cruelty is a whole different level.
===
And I just wonder, Kotoura reply mostly all people's thought because she merely hate facade, just want to reply it out immediately and dont care what people think about her. It's just her personality thanks to her past (remember it again, Kotoura's mental state in early episode 1 is different in episode 2)

Well, if you looked closely I mentioned that the flaw is spread across several scenes, not just that particular scene you stated. However, I understand that you do not have a problem with my opinion since it's personal, and I also do not have a problem with your "non-problem" of my not problematic opinion, so for now, is there any problem?

If not, I'm going to continue. (You can choose to disregard the following if you had a problem with the above statement.)

Yes there was that possibility of people already calling her a freak before she revealed her ability, but the thoughts would harbour doubts and hesitation because there was no proof of the rumours yet. When she actually announced her power in the sense of responding to others' inner thoughts, those rumours were confirmed, leading to affirmed thoughts of her being a freak/monster.
If she had zero issues about being insulted as a freak/monster, she wouldn't even response to others initially. You only comment when you care.

Take for instance, if xyz was bad-mouthing a certain show you do not know of, would you step forward and agree/disagree with xyz's view? I doubt so.

Although I pointed out that there is still a possibility that she had always minded people calling her a freak, I'll have to give you credit for the observation of her letting her "mental guard" down after she was approached by friendly people who do not mind her current self. I haven't thought about that myself. My claims still makes sense though, if you do think about it seriously.

[P.S.] I added spoiler buttons in your quote because... well, they're spoilers.
PronedToMangaJan 22, 2013 11:34 AM
Jan 22, 2013 11:30 AM

Nov 2012
-MgZ_ said:
Anyways, why are you guys discussing the plot? I'm not really reading the Manga version of this but are they not following it? Because you guys seems pretty disappointed with the plot considering we are not reaching episode 6 yet...

[If anyone finds it uncomfortable that I'm using "we/us" please feel free to change it to "I/I'm".]

We're discussing this because it's a thread about your disappointments regarding the show as of now. Since all anime(s) has their flaws, most of us are picking them out of this show due to the title of the thread. However by picking out its faults does not necessarily mean that we hate this show, and can't tolerate it anymore. This series does indeed has its good parts to it so I'm guessing most people are choosing to go on with the show. Due to the fact that we're still at the second episode of this anime, we still harbour much anticipation for this series.

[P.S] I do not speak for all who posted 'hate' comments about this show. Some of them might truly feel annoyed by the plots of the show. I do not know for sure because I am not them.

[P.S.S] Sorry for double posting consecutively. I felt a need to or I will be confused with the respective response.
Jan 23, 2013 12:37 PM

Jul 2012
This thread was made purposely to piss off the fandom, and the haters are just contributing to it. Jesus fucking christ.
Jan 23, 2013 2:31 PM
Dec 2012
ihateeveryone said:
This thread was made purposely to piss off the fandom, and the haters are just contributing to it. Jesus fucking christ.

It's the price of fame (or popularity) like it happened to SAO lately. It's much better than silence, isn't it? Look, almost no one (I mean on MAL) talks about Line Offline though it's a funny and ongoing series. Besides, the more controversial, the more people pay attention to the anime.
Jan 23, 2013 2:49 PM

Apr 2011
I can't see why this is a popular forum topic in Kotoura-san. I understand that you may be disappointed in the show, but I don't think it's necessary to make an entire forum post about it. This seems like something that should be a reply to reactions of episode 1 or something. And more importantly, comparing something like this to Sakurasou isn't that great of an example since Sakurasou has already 15 (when I'm posting this) episodes, while Kotoura-san only has 2. Now, it's totally opinion to think that this show isn't as good as Sakurasou, and that's fine, but only so far. Being that there is only 2 episodes thus far, it is idiotic to make judgement on a show until watching at least three episodes on a show to see whether or not you like the direction. But, hey that's my opinion on the matter.
Jan 23, 2013 4:28 PM

Oct 2012
VGGuy95 said:
I can't see why this is a popular forum topic in Kotoura-san. I understand that you may be disappointed in the show, but I don't think it's necessary to make an entire forum post about it. This seems like something that should be a reply to reactions of episode 1 or something. And more importantly, comparing something like this to Sakurasou isn't that great of an example since Sakurasou has already 15 (when I'm posting this) episodes, while Kotoura-san only has 2. Now, it's totally opinion to think that this show isn't as good as Sakurasou, and that's fine, but only so far. Being that there is only 2 episodes thus far, it is idiotic to make judgement on a show until watching at least three episodes on a show to see whether or not you like the direction. But, hey that's my opinion on the matter.
Well, I think he just wanted to tell people his thoughts, and make a little discussion on what people thought about it, and reasons why. In regular episode discussions, people usually wouldn't go in depth about the topic, except for saying stuff like "this episode made me cry" or something like that. I think this is a great thread tbh, where people can just express how they feel about the show, explain why, and maybe fill in on a few things they probably missed. As well as having a discussion with opposing opinions, while trying to prove their thoughts. However, it seems there is a bit of a controversy over the sakurasou comparison, which I'm glad he edited out.
Jan 25, 2013 2:57 AM

Jun 2012
ihateeveryone said:

Sometimes I think your distrust in humans is even worse than mine...
Whatever, who cares about the intention of a thread?
Jan 25, 2013 6:03 AM

Aug 2007
I have only saw 2 episdes and the 2 of them I liked it. By now I will continue watching this anime
Jan 25, 2013 6:58 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah To be Honest well it's kinda hard to explain, the anime is GREAT[my opinion]!
However, I think the anime should take time to explain more; rather than rushing over some details of the transitioning....

Jan 29, 2013 11:32 AM

Jan 2012
ihateeveryone said:

Yeah, this must be reason why the OP is aware enough of feedbacks and his own bias towards Sakurasou that he edited out the comparison with that show, all without showing any sign of trollish nature or disrespect towards others, meanwhile still providing legitimite points about why he doesn't like Kotoura-san, along with people who were decent enough to explain their similar opinions without going personal. Unless you want to say that everyone who doesn't like this precious show is a troll/hater who thirts for a ruckus, but I'm sure that's not the case here. /sarcasm
Jan 29, 2013 11:53 AM

Jun 2012
Dodgers20 said:
ihateeveryone said:

Yeah, this must be reason why the OP is aware enough of feedbacks and his own bias towards Sakurasou that he edited out the comparison with that show, all without showing any sign of trollish nature or disrespect towards others, meanwhile still providing legitimite points about why he doesn't like Kotoura-san, along with people who were decent enough to explain their similar opinions without going personal. Unless you want to say that everyone who doesn't like this precious show is a troll/hater who thirts for a ruckus, but I'm sure that's not the case here. /sarcasm

Maybe this is a conspiracy to trick MAL users like you. He first wanted to make everyone angry and then edited his post so that user like you think that he is some sort of sane angel. But this serves the only purpose to trick and troll you, because then it seems that he is not biased, but in fact he is truly evil.
Jan 29, 2013 12:17 PM

Jan 2011
Kyube said:
Dodgers20 said:
ihateeveryone said:

Maybe this is a conspiracy to trick MAL users like you. He first wanted to make everyone angry and then edited his post so that user like you think that he is some sort of sane angel. But this serves the only purpose to trick and troll you, because then it seems that he is not biased, but in fact he is truly evil.

I am not evil =(

I was a bit emotional when I posted the OP, having just finished the first episode, and I admit it wasn't a good idea to insert that jab at the end.

However, it felt like when I was watching the first episode, that I was in the movie theater, watching this amazing film, when all of the sudden the director comes out and dumped a bucket of cold ice on me. Bad analogies aside, I'm sure many of you have experienced getting involved with the characters in a show and getting "into" the plot, when you suddenly find yourself questioning the show and no longer enjoying it.

I am disappointed because I wanted to love this show and it turned out to be just OK. This show had the ability (in my opinion) to become another Toradora, Clannad, etc.

Anyways, this show isn't bad by any means. Thanks to those who posted productive things. It makes sense that some of the plot is a bit messy considering the anime was adapted from a 4 koma and that they only have 12 episodes.
Jan 31, 2013 7:24 PM

Aug 2012

I am disappointed because I wanted to love this show and it turned out to be just OK. This show had the ability (in my opinion) to become another Toradora, Clannad, etc.

Well I dunno if the base concept alone is enough for it to have Clannad potential(but who knows the manga might be spectacular) and I think that's why the creators decided not to take it so seriously, and they let the viewer know this in various ways(silly opening, artwork, and humor)

Thanks to those who posted productive things.

I'll take credit for that since I sparked the most interesting conversation eue
AlexTheRiotJan 31, 2013 7:30 PM
Feb 1, 2013 12:03 AM
Jul 2012
I don't know what to say about this anime. That grandpa's action... what would happen if that happened in real life? The gramps have a boner a raging boner considering Kotoura-chan's body is just like a loli, pandering a little and... rape, incest, pedophilia all at once. Can't blame the gramps really it's all Kotoura-chan's fault for allowing her butt to be violated by the old pedo bear aka The Elder.

The drama in this one is so over the top. Kotoura-chan suffering like no other. It's cruel no! It's beyond cruel. To think that the little girl abandoned by her parents, reviled by society, no friends, and live with pedo of a grandpa. Only so much suffering a little girl can take.

No human being suffer that much can exist in this world. It's as if she doesn't belong on Earth. Is she an angel? If that's were the case forgive your humble servant O' Holy Angel for making an Angel become a fap material. I'm so ashamed.

And there Moritani. They forgive her that easily? Really? I'm not so forgiving. She and ignorant fools will feel The Crusader's Wrath for bullying the Angel has chosen husbando of Perverted Dirty Thoughts.

Plotholes?
We the servants of God doesn't ask questions boy. It's enough to know the other man's crying for something... but the reason of his... whatever it was... was it really worth crying for? Maybe...but who says we need some epic cause before we can shed a tear? Toss us a little bit of drama we'll cry our hearts out. We cry for mere boobies. Fap to her cry for her... but really? It ain't about the dem flat tities... we cry because we enjoy it. We cry for her coz fap to her just too horrible to admit.

I'm not expecting anything from a low budget anime like this one. But we can at least have a decent comedy not overused jokes like a good guy turns into a pervert, pervert bothers, pedo etc.
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Feb 1, 2013 12:45 AM

Aug 2012
Guys, do me a favour.
Don't turn this into the most hyped series for this year.
Because honestly, it's turned into a pile of shit.
Feb 1, 2013 2:16 PM

Dec 2012
SirMaddy said:
Because honestly, it's turned into a pile of shit.

not yet
Feb 1, 2013 3:13 PM

Sep 2011
ihateeveryone said:

Where were you during SAO?
Feb 1, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
FailAtLife said:

Plotholes?
We the servants of God doesn't ask questions boy. It's enough to know the other man's crying for something... but the reason of his... whatever it was... was it really worth crying for? Maybe...but who says we need some epic cause before we can shed a tear? Toss us a little bit of drama we'll cry our hearts out. We cry for mere boobies. Fap to her cry for her... but really? It ain't about the dem flat tities... we cry because we enjoy it. We cry for her coz fap to her just too horrible to admit.

...wut
Feb 1, 2013 4:22 PM

Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
i don't think they have much to compare other than the school romance setting which is in hundred of other animes.... the drama part in kotoura is better imo ( and the male mc is better also and thats just a fact)

Far, far better.

The male mc of Sakurasou is one of the worst romance MC's i've seen in a while.
The MC of kotoura however is like-able.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Feb 1, 2013 5:02 PM

May 2011
I'll admit I was wanting more drama instead of this low quality romcom it's giving us, but there are still more episodes yet to come. I won't deny that their lack of returning to the drama side is disappointing. I don't count the mini-arc of 3 and 4 to be dramatic, especially compared to the first episode.

Also, I hope the male lead character dies a horrible death.
Feb 1, 2013 5:35 PM
Jun 2008
LEGOF said:

Also, I hope the male lead character dies a horrible death.
huh... why?
Manabe is way much more better than Makoto .
Feb 2, 2013 4:53 AM
Jan 2013
WickedHeroine said:
Yes, Sakurasou is good. But I don't think it's the best of the season. There's flashy panty shots and constant bouncing breasts. I'm not saying it's bad, but a romantic/drama/ecchi anime certainly can't compare to a romantic/drama. Sure, Kotoura-san has its perverted moments, but it's for comedy purposes, not fan service. Especially when all you see it blurred-out panties and Kotoura under bath water (naked, yes, but fully covered).
And in my honest opinion, Sakurasou is no where near Toradora. I don't know why or how anyone could get that idea. Sakurasou mixes comedy and drama together well, sure, but Toradora is on a completely scale with higher comedy and higher, well-scripted drama that can't even compare to Sakurasou.
In fact, I don't really see a similarity between all three of them (besides the fact that their genres are similar), so I don't understand why Sakurasou and Toradora are used as a comparison to Kotoura-san ..
I do respect the posters opinion, but I think the poster just appears biased towards Sakurasou. If you look at their list, the poster has already rated Sakurasou a 10. Obviously his or her opinion would sway towards that show. Again, I completely respect your opinion (hey, I rated Toradora a 10 so I understand you), but at LEAST give Kotoura-san more time before claiming to be disappointed. Who knows? Maybe it'll redeem itself to you within the next five episodes?

Umm, that shit you're saying is stupid. Romance/Drama/Ecchi CAN be better than Romance/Drama if the other two are done better. Ecchi does not automatically make something bad unless it really affects the story for the worse or it's just that bad. (Read Nozoki Ana for example, it's basically semi-hentai yet it's pretty good)
Feb 3, 2013 9:50 AM

Jan 2012
Kyube said:
Dodgers20 said:
ihateeveryone said:

The ironic thing is is that even if his intention was indeed to piss off those who like the show (pretty unlikely scenario judging from his posts, but it's far-fetched enough to be an amusing theory), his reasoning is legitimite and well-explained enough to be a failure of a conspiracy, because this isn't something that would piss off anyone who can be bothered enough to read his posts, and can bear the thought that every show in existence has its fans and dislikers alike. The comparison with Sakurasou was the only point IMO were his reasoning was off but he admitted that he's biased towards that show, and even then, he explained what he doesn't like about Kotoura-san enough to see where he comes from, which holds a fair bit more credibility to me than posts that pretty much consist on "I cried, 10/10, best show of the season", with occasional "masterpiece, better than xy masterpiece" thrown in.

On another thought, this conspiracy theory holds about just as much water if one would say that a few people are intentionally overpraising the show just to piss off those who don't like it, and the rest is just contributing to this unintentionally. And "in fact he's truly evil" -> wut, is he a fictional character now with schemes and edgy backstory...?
Feb 6, 2013 2:14 AM
May 2012
I treat every series as an individual and not compare series to other series. Sure there will be similar elements and similar feel, but it is a completely different world. We can point out the similarities, but it is pointless to judge this series to another and make a claim about it.

On that note:

Kotoura-san is actually pretty good. I can understand that some people will be disappointed by this show as the first episode did seemed it rushed the depression state of Kotoura. However this was not the main focus of the series; they put all those pieces in so you know what she went through so you don't need to question or have deep thoughts about her past.

And the plot isn't really rushed, there's just a lot of stuff happening in one episode. What it really lacks is deep stuff. Deep love, deep plot, deep character development that makes you want to watch what happens next. But still, it is actually well-written out.

I still feel neutral about this show, but I can give this series a chance to watch and for others to do so. Just don't expect things to go deep. It's rather a fast-paced show.

P.S. Ahh, being called a freak and a monster... people tend to do that cause they fear of being harmed, or more like the feelings you don't want to feel (e.g. pain, sadness, rejection, etc.).
Feb 6, 2013 4:21 AM

Oct 2009
This series employ too much deus ex machina. I love the characters, but not so much for the plot.
The one thing attracts me in this show is the interactions of the casts to bully Kotoura, which is ironically your typical naive Mary Sue.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 6, 2013 4:58 AM

Jun 2012
BioPi said:
The power of mind reading results in a bad childhood for Kotoura. Children shun her due to her abilities. Kotoura's mother develops neurosis and eventually stops loving her. Her parents divorce because Kotoura reveals their infidelity. Kotoura has to cope with feelings of guilt, abandonment, and eventually loses the light in her eyes (like literally, her eyes are this dull, grey color).

First of all, all the people around her seem to be real bitches (except the grandfather). Put more intellectually, this setup is way too convenient. It just so happens that her friends were not kind enough to forgive Kotoura; it just so happens that her parents were not in a lasting marriage; it just so happened that her mother didn't meet any competent psychiatrists and that she wasn't wise enough to deal with her frustrations. It's not like I'm saying this situation isn't possible. It certainly is believable.

AND THEN, Kotoura just HAPPENS to meet the guy and the ESP club who value her and treat her as a human. It's like the director wanted to tell a "touching" story, but forgot how to make an actual setting and wanted to go straight to the rom com part.

ok cut out the part which was most idiotic, no offence. You can say that a series of events is too scripted, but its a freeking story, if these things didnt happen it would make for a good story.

You could say it just so happens to EVERY part of an anime's story, hell ANY story are all "just so happens events". Its like talking about the Hobbit and saying it JUST SO HAPPENS that gandalf comes along, and it JUST SO HAPPENS he thought bilbo was right for an adventure, or in the lord of the rings, it just so HAPPENS bilbo gave the ring to frodo, and it JUST SO HAPPENS he has a resilience to it. See how stupid it sounds. Of course it just so HAPPENS that all these things happened, otherwise the story would not develop as it has.

also the scene you thought was so over the top, think of it as the straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.
Feb 7, 2013 12:35 PM
Feb 2013
Most confusing for me is that a person who can read the minds of other people, is asking questions
And wouldn't there be many who would desire to control such an ability? Like military/corporations/etc?
Feb 7, 2013 2:40 PM

Jan 2011
XR said:
BioPi said:
The power of mind reading results in a bad childhood for Kotoura. Children shun her due to her abilities. Kotoura's mother develops neurosis and eventually stops loving her. Her parents divorce because Kotoura reveals their infidelity. Kotoura has to cope with feelings of guilt, abandonment, and eventually loses the light in her eyes (like literally, her eyes are this dull, grey color).

First of all, all the people around her seem to be real bitches (except the grandfather). Put more intellectually, this setup is way too convenient. It just so happens that her friends were not kind enough to forgive Kotoura; it just so happens that her parents were not in a lasting marriage; it just so happened that her mother didn't meet any competent psychiatrists and that she wasn't wise enough to deal with her frustrations. It's not like I'm saying this situation isn't possible. It certainly is believable.

AND THEN, Kotoura just HAPPENS to meet the guy and the ESP club who value her and treat her as a human. It's like the director wanted to tell a "touching" story, but forgot how to make an actual setting and wanted to go straight to the rom com part.

ok cut out the part which was most idiotic, no offence. You can say that a series of events is too scripted, but its a freeking story, if these things didnt happen it would make for a good story.

You could say it just so happens to EVERY part of an anime's story, hell ANY story are all "just so happens events". Its like talking about the Hobbit and saying it JUST SO HAPPENS that gandalf comes along, and it JUST SO HAPPENS he thought bilbo was right for an adventure, or in the lord of the rings, it just so HAPPENS bilbo gave the ring to frodo, and it JUST SO HAPPENS he has a resilience to it. See how stupid it sounds. Of course it just so HAPPENS that all these things happened, otherwise the story would not develop as it has.

also the scene you thought was so over the top, think of it as the straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

Well, yes stories are driven by events (the "just so happens"). But a good story needs to captivate it's audience. To do this, authors need to make events that are believable and meaningful.

In that first paragraph you quoted I was showing the contrast in Kotoura's life before and after she meets Manabe. Before she meets Manabe, the world seems like a dark place and the people she meets (her parents, friends) all portray the worst parts of human nature. But, after she meets Manabe, her skies clear up and the world seems bright again.

So this event (Kotoura's past) is not very believable since her life drastically get better in just the 2nd half of the first episode. Additional, the fact that Kotoura so easily lets Manabe into her heart makes it even harder to believe. I know if I was that traumatized as a kid, that I would have trouble trusting people.

In the end, I Akai012 mentioned this earlier about the show lacking anything deep. That's what I'm disappointed about.

Also that scene I thought was so over the top. It's more like a falling piano broke the camel's back =P
Feb 7, 2013 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
XR said:

LMAO. You are absolutely correct.
The fact that the set up is "convenient" is due to exactly what the writers are going for. They aren't going for "amazing depth" in the drama department, hence the lack of a 'drama' genre tag. It's not like they messed up the story or anything by making it too unbelievable. There's a reason they did things that way. Sometimes as the viewer, we(BioPi) just have to realize when they aren't taking the drama/plot as seriously as they could be, they're doing that because the focus isn't meant to be on that. That way we(BioPi) can enjoy and appreciate it simply for what it is. I understand you're upset this didn't turn out to be as beautiful a representation of emotions as a Clannad(total insult to Clannad btw) but you shouldn't let that keep you from enjoying it for what it's trying to be(or just drop it, this is your life here)

But dude, chill out with the lotr spoilers geez ;)
Feb 8, 2013 3:24 AM

Aug 2012
*sigh* Just watched a slice of life episode that I really didn't want to see. I mean I'm fine with the cliches up the bum, but really? Really? All that drama and depression and already she's leading the perfect normal high school life?

And then the ED changes to a nauseatingly sweet moe tune. I came in expecting a drama, only to walk out seeing a slice of life where a girl who gets men to beat the shit out of someone is forgiven in a heartbeat. *sigh*

Reminds me of SAO. Anyone remember episode 1? Yeah, it's kinda like that.
Feb 8, 2013 3:30 AM

May 2010
u are wrong thats alll.
Feb 8, 2013 3:31 AM

Aug 2012
This....had me excited the first half of the first episode. And overall, it didn't seem so bad.:P

Esp at ep 3 when Kotoura disappears. I was looking forward to a pretty good arc with some good moments.

But NO. they decided to take the full comedy route in ep 4. No good moments, the emotional tension resolved without a second thought.

And now ep 5......
Feb 8, 2013 3:53 AM
Dec 2012
I wonder what is opinion value in this society at this point
Like it, love it , drop it or whatever
What is the point to shout ! really me i have never dorp an anime/ movie in the first place
so i'm GTFO
Feb 8, 2013 3:57 AM

Aug 2012
pokpokza said:
I wonder what is opinion value in this society at this point
Like it, love it , drop it or whatever
What is the point to shout ! really me i have never dorp an anime/ movie in the first place
so i'm GTFO
I barely have a clue what you just said, but think of it this way:

If no one complained, who's left to say whether every anime deserves a 10 or not?
Feb 10, 2013 12:25 PM

Sep 2012
Tyrel said:
ihateeveryone said:

LOL, she was contributing to this kind of thread to piss off the fandom.

Anyway, I watched the 2 first episodes. There were mediocre! So yeah, I'm disapointed.
Feb 10, 2013 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
SetsukoHara said:
Tyrel said:
ihateeveryone said:

LOL, she was contributing to this kind of thread to piss off the fandom.

Anyway, I watched the 2 first episodes. There were mediocre! So yeah, I'm disapointed.

The first 10mins of episode 1 were epic, you can't argue about that.
ChepriFeb 11, 2013 12:27 PM
Feb 11, 2013 8:27 AM

Jun 2012
tbh i am not saying i think this is an amazing anime for the record. Yes very Clichéd, typical pervert main male character who is good at heart, the grandad is just creepy, no matter the kind of comedy spin you try and put on it. Etc

But i just think the way you presented the dislike for the story to be rather well, silly, being polite.
XRFeb 11, 2013 8:32 AM
Feb 16, 2013 8:40 AM

Aug 2011
They thing that ticks me off is how fast Moritani's personality changed. It was like full blown hatred to forgiveness to innocent and cutesy in like 2 episodes. Just doesn't feel natural.
Feb 22, 2013 11:50 PM

Jun 2011
BioPi said:

It strives to be like Toradora with drama, romance, and comedy, but it fails to combine the 3 successfully. This anime feels rushed, and it has a lot to make up for after a bad start.

TL;DR - I like the idea, but I think the director is executing this anime very poorly.

QFT, agreed on everything. Everything is so convenient in this series, it just happened to be this, it just happened to be that, wow she might be the luckiest (or unluckiest depends on how you view it) person of that world :D
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 25, 2013 1:57 PM

May 2009
MellowJello said:
I came in expecting a drama, only to walk out seeing a slice of life where a girl who gets men to beat the shit out of someone is forgiven in a heartbeat. *sigh*.

alan0w0 said:
They thing that ticks me off is how fast Moritani's personality changed. It was like full blown hatred to forgiveness to innocent and cutesy in like 2 episodes. Just doesn't feel natural.

It's possible, though. It may take some extreme measures sometimes, but it's definitely possible, I'm living proof of that.

I've seen two bullies of mine get a change of heart over the course of a few months after I (quite literally) let them feel how much it hurts to bully someone. At the start of the second school year, they were my enemies; by the end (roughly 9 months later), we were friends. So yes, some people can change that quickly.

I'll admit some things in this show seem a bit too convenient, but it doesn't bother me the same way it apparently does others. I always reckon one needs a bit of suspension of disbelief before watching anything, especially a romantic comedy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2013 11:32 PM

Mar 2012
Strong start but now losing interest an episode after another, same goes to Sakurasou. I dont know why im not able to keep watching these kind of anime till the end.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

300 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

457 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.