Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 20, 2012 11:54 AM
Sep 2012
kiDnameDSkia said:
I agree that if someone doesn't like OP one should drop it, but I also believe in sharing oppinions--> though in this case Pipoko said it kinda messed up I support his general thesis. I don't understand the joy of writing such stuff on every chapter, if it's bothering you just quit it dude, nobody's standing behind you and forcing you to read how Luffy's punching his enemies.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to disagree about the character development because I think you got it wrong: character development isn't about changing your whole personality, else I would think of you as a pretty...well, person if you change it every 1 year and all around you do the same. I mean, we all change throughout the years ofcourse, but we change so subtle we don't even notice it for like 2-3 years unless someone says it to us outloud. Precisely this kind of change happens in OP, since the beginning, to ALL characters, not just the supporting ones or the crew etc. We see Sanji change the moment he met Luffy, we also see all change throughout the 2 years of power-ups and we see them change every chapter widening their horizons further and further. I think your "criticism" lacks substance, you may think you have it just because you watched this or that, or can find bad things in every anime; but actually you're just pointing out obvious facts you subjectively don't like. It's ok to not like the way Oda does character development, and it's ok not to like OP. No one is trying to convert you, just stop telling us that in a way that seems like you're speaking objectively and know better than Oda himself. With your constructivism as such you're no better than those people who say "awesome chapter"/"this sucks"/"I agree."

EDIT: and I didn't bother with grammar on this text, so g.nazis fof :D

Of course I enjoy seeing people's opinions - I've read some posts about how some people think OP has some massive religious undertones everywhere. It was well put together, but I didn't agree with any of it because I'm not seeing it. Mikasa just keeps coming back every week saying how this series sucks and how generic it is. I guess I hate having memory because it's almost always the same thing and again I find this really annoyingly hypocritical looking at the flaws some other series he likes better has. Of course it is all a matter of opinion, as well, I can't make him/her change their mind, but I feel like that is just there to troll all the other readers who do enjoy the series, to get a angry response out of them.

Ah, freaking wall texts.
PipokoNov 20, 2012 12:00 PM
Nov 20, 2012 12:00 PM

Mar 2011
Pipoko said:
- I've read some posts about how some people think OP has some massive religious undertones everywhere.

Explain. I'm interested
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
and now we are two and one of us has to be shit."
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 12:07 PM
Sep 2012
Kanic said:
Pipoko said:
- I've read some posts about how some people think OP has some massive religious undertones everywhere.

Explain. I'm interested

I think it was a post from Tumblr, analyzing a chapter. The person is fairly harsh on the series - she seems to be calling sexism on a lot of things in the series and again I agree with some of her complaints, but not others. I think I also put the last post a little bit too generally and exaggerated - she talks a little about religion, but I'm not seeing it.

http://ittoryu-yai.tumblr.com/post/33689163940/one-piece-chapter-684-commentary-whatever-whatever-i
PipokoNov 20, 2012 12:11 PM
Nov 20, 2012 12:19 PM

Mar 2011
That was a great revew, though I disaggreed a lot with her fanaticism at certain points, especially when she pulled all stops and went full religious.
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 12:22 PM
Sep 2012
Kanic said:
That was a great revew, though I disaggreed a lot with her fanaticism at certain points, especially when she pulled all stops and went full religious.

Yeah, I've never seen that about OP. I guess it is gaining popularity everywhere else now as well.
Nov 20, 2012 12:23 PM

Mar 2011
Where else? More NWO talking?
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 12:24 PM
Sep 2012
Kanic said:
Where else? More NWO talking?

No, I mean the series is gaining popularity because all these reviewers are surfacing. In Youtube, too. Before the war saga/TS there really wasn't that many reviewers, at least I didn't notice as many.
Nov 20, 2012 1:06 PM

Mar 2012
Shits gonna go down! This was exactly how it was in the Teryuubito Incident at Shaboady! But, in this way, Luffy even ignored something more dangerous than just an Admiral. One of the Yonkou and Doflamingo might get involved!

Ceasar should know better not to piss Luffy off. He punched a Teryuubito man! Did you think he wont punch you either? xD
This is one of the few scenes that Luffy has been uberly pissed.

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Nov 20, 2012 2:05 PM

Aug 2010
Decent chapter, it was nice to see Luffy punch ceasar.
Nov 20, 2012 2:11 PM

Jan 2010
Ignoring the war raging up there (again), did we ever figure out what SAD stands for? It just hit me that Synthetic Apple Devilfruit would work.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Nov 20, 2012 2:12 PM

Feb 2012
Good chapter :D

Gets more interesting~
Nov 20, 2012 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
great punch. the satisfaction fo seeing teh arrogant douche get punched in teh face is just as good as the ones against bellamy and the tenryuubito :)

however this better be teh final round between luffy and ceaser, no one has ever gone more than 3 rounds with luffy.

i'll never understand how oda can make me feel sorry for villains like brownbeard. but some how oda pulls it off.

really pleased this week all of the big 3 were great.
Nov 20, 2012 4:07 PM

Oct 2010
I must admit i like Caesar as a villain. He might just be one of my favorites so far.
Nov 20, 2012 4:10 PM
Oct 2011
Ok can someone please explain what SAD is to me. I've read the parts where they said Law wanted it for some reason but still don't understand what it is. Can someone explain what it's used for and how it relates to smil or w.e that thing is?
Nov 20, 2012 4:14 PM

Jun 2012
macx12 said:
Ok can someone please explain what SAD is to me. I've read the parts where they said Law wanted it for some reason but still don't understand what it is. Can someone explain what it's used for and how it relates to smil or w.e that thing is?

awesome chapter, that punch was epic :D hopefully in the first half of next year we can see some doflamingo/four emperor serious action :D and maybe actually see kaidou? >.<

And to answer your question, ceasar gives the SAD to doflamingo who then runs it through his factory which then turns them into zoan type devil fruits, and hes using that to strike big deals with big names, if luffy is attacking his supply, he cant just ignore it right? and also if the big names are being denied it because of luffy i dont imagine they would be to thrilled with him :D

law is talking about capturing ceasar, which will cause a bit of chaos as hes the only one who can make the SAD, i want to see what law plans to do after next arc will be notch eve more so than this one xD
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Nov 20, 2012 4:28 PM
Oct 2011
jimbob1141 said:
macx12 said:

awesome chapter, that punch was epic :D hopefully in the first half of next year we can see some doflamingo/four emperor serious action :D and maybe actually see kaidou? >.<

And to answer your question, ceasar gives the SAD to doflamingo who then runs it through his factory which then turns them into zoan type devil fruits, and hes using that to strike big deals with big names, if luffy is attacking his supply, he cant just ignore it right? and also if the big names are being denied it because of luffy i dont imagine they would be to thrilled with him :D

law is talking about capturing ceasar, which will cause a bit of chaos as hes the only one who can make the SAD, i want to see what law plans to do after next arc will be notch eve more so than this one xD

O so SAD stands for scientic artificial devilfruit or something like that? I see.
Nov 20, 2012 5:21 PM

Jan 2012
didnt big mam have like a human-lion servant working for her? i get the feeling shes the one with a zoan army, and as someone stated earlier in the thread: bepo being a smile fruit eater makes a lot of sense especially if we assume that smile fruits are incomplete and permanently transform you
Nov 20, 2012 6:22 PM

Mar 2012
I actually feel really bad for brownbeard. Sigh. This is how people with more power can control the ones with less.
But in this ep it mentioned a devil fruit army. Im thinking its either big mam or kaido but i doubt its kaido cause we haven't even gotten any previous foreshadow of him. Blackbeard is possible because of how he steals power.. and shanks just no.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/LuckyMango

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/LuckyMango

Feel free to comment on my profile for anime recommendations.
Ill try my best to help! Remember don't message me. Comment!
Nov 20, 2012 8:47 PM

May 2011
BROWNBEARD FOR NEW NAKAMA! (Please don't take that seriously)

That said, he earned some respect points. Unofrtunately for Caeser though, Smoker is about to handle his "strong ally who covers everything up", and Luffy/Law are already targeting "that one Yonkou" with hundreds of artificial Zoan: Big Mom (how could you guys think it was anyone else? I thought it was obvious).

Also, nice "shut up" punch at the end, that reminded me once again who the main character and future Pirate King is.
Nov 20, 2012 10:07 PM

May 2012
if it was Logia type... THEN I'd be impressed :P
arcticdrop712Nov 20, 2012 10:12 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2012 11:58 PM

Jun 2009
Hey guys is there an ignore list function (to use on users)? Just wondering.

Also, I love how I vastly prefer One Piece to Magi, despite having read both. ^_^

This chapter gets better the more you re-read it. So many connections to make with the world in this chapter. Now that's world-building and touching up on character motivations! Just one chapter has caused so much debate on other forums.

EDIT: Found out how to ignore users. Sweet!
DemonicpoodleNov 21, 2012 12:07 AM
Nov 21, 2012 1:44 AM

Aug 2012
I wouldn't put Bepo in this count though, don't know why you're all stuck on him. It is wierd, but considering his behavior I would say he's just a bear who learned how to talk...something like Chopper :D (ofc with Chopper it's more understandable since he has the human devils fruit)
This world is mine. I think this world may even just be a long, long dream I'm watching. You guys may just be illusions, and it can't be proven whether or not you really exist either. In other words, this world was created with me at the center. So what will happen if I die? I don't know. My imagination isn't very creative; I just can't imagine myself dying. In other words, there is no way this world can completely disappear. But if I die, then everyone will disappear. I am the only one in this world who won't disappear. The rest are just people I see as if in a dream.

-Claire Stanfield, Baccano!
Nov 21, 2012 2:25 PM

Mar 2008
Since it's Caesa's/Vegapunk's, I can't figure out what SAD means. If ti was Franky's it would be SUUUUUUUUPERRRRRR AWESOME DEVILFRUIT.

I don't remember who posted that the island Caribou went to was the one Drake visited and that was Kaidou's, but nice catch.

So, the whole new age thing with Bellamy that led us to the auction house and Doflaming and the age of SMILEs...

This is why I read this shit. Almost everything he shows in the series serves a purpose.

I also liked the thoeries about Big Mam's army of beasts and Bepo, though I still find it a bit strange, since it seems she's the mother of that pirata (charlote or something?) from Thriller Bark. Maybe she isn't.

BUt there's something I don't like about this. Oda has already too many plots going on. He has to start solving things and yet he keeps creating new ones. I want to read the end of OP before I have grandchildren.
Nov 21, 2012 2:44 PM

Apr 2009
woah, tnx guys for the bepo-smile thing ... didn't see that

anyway i wonder if really Karibou will tell Kaidou about Shirahoshi
Nov 21, 2012 2:56 PM

Jun 2008
Arlia said:
Luffy punched the ennemy after his crap speech. Sooo banal.

Normally it would have been awesome but Oda used that plot device too much lately.
Nov 21, 2012 3:31 PM

Mar 2012
Pipoko said:
Mikasa said:
Nidhoeggr said:
I also read One piece for the world-building and the adventure and i also enjoyed the post-Marineford chapters just as much as the Jaya arc (which is along with Skypeia, Alabasta and Arlong my favourite arc).

But it baffles me that you actually criticize the extensive world-building of Oda here. No character development in ALL of One Piece? Prepare to be laughed at by a lot of people because that statement is ridiculous.

Yes. What world building? Artificial DFs? That's like the Edo Tensei ninja, fake-ass enemies, numbers and numbers without actually any quality. But that's yet to be seen.
This chapter, the middle third of it, was basically doing a recap/summary of what PH is as we already knew, kinda like a wiki lol. The second half of his speech about how powerful he and the rest of them are was actually good, and as I said, Luffy's comeback was finally something that I wanted him to say all this time, it's a relief. Because it seemed that everytime they make it some god-like impossible to beat a villain stronger than them but they keep doing it, so F*** Yeah... I haven't really liked luffy as much since the Baka song on Skypiea.

Yes, let them laugh (Teach reference), but that doesn't make them right, they have none whatsoever. For god's sake how many chaps?

In water 7, Ussop had some development at last, but they kinda undid it at the end of EL with him returning to his old self being the bitch of the bunch, that he had to apologize bothered me. :/

@Kanic yes but he also has way more chapters than necessary to cover them all and more, but he doesn't really focus on that.

And there's no strict rule that the bad guy has to come in the "Oh no" way for shonens, that's why the term "typical shonen [thing]" exists.

Sometimes, you don't even need a [powerful] bad guy at all in the story to make it good. When Sabo died didn't really hate the Tenryuubito as much as I hated how the whole op world was somewhat messed up and that was for me more mature than the half-assed slavery subplot that ended heroically too easily, too fast. And the current drug stuff >.<

I thought you dropped OP, Mikasa, lol. I recall you saying that in the Magi forum.
If you hate it so much, it is better to do so, after all. I'm not a fan of Naruto and Bleach since a long time ago. I sort of just skim them, but I don't think I've ever written big text blocks about how much I hate them.
Criticism is nice, but one-note bashing for every single chapter is obnoxious and stupid. I can say a generic "this sucks" about everything, too. That's not criticism, that's trolling.

Your statements are really freaking hypocritical, too, looking at character development for Bleach characters, for example.

Yeah, the anime. Dropped it. So I'm gonna ignore the rest of your post because they seem to be based on that wrong assumption that I dropped the manga itself which is ignorant

brb replying to Kanic :P
End Zionazism
Nov 21, 2012 4:51 PM

Aug 2012
Well, the only reason that punch probably wasn't a 1-Hit KO, is because CCr had commanded his minions to link-up the broadcast for the brokers.

Actually, maybe not. It may not necessarily be CC, but Luffy and SOMEONE ELSE will inevitably do battle while being broadcast to the brokers.

Sort of a nice way for the New World to officially know that the Straw Hat's are back after 2 years (The imprisonment with Law/Tashigi/Smoker did not do this occasion justice.)

All I know is that I'm tired of CC's bitchass, and that punch was satisfying.
Nov 21, 2012 9:53 PM
Sep 2012
Mikasa said:

Yeah, the anime. Dropped it. So I'm gonna ignore the rest of your post because they seem to be based on that wrong assumption that I dropped the manga itself which is ignorant

I didn't say you dropped it, I assumed so, but you obviously didn't because you are still posting here anyway. I recommended that would be better to do so for you if all you do is bitch about it every time in a generic way, as that's what I usually do when I don't enjoy a series for a while. Geez, twist my words more will ya. Freaking troll.
Done with this.
PipokoNov 21, 2012 11:36 PM
Nov 22, 2012 1:10 AM

Mar 2012
Kanic said:

It's a fantasy world. Author has to have both the mood and acknowledge the responsibility that he has to build his world on fantasy factors. Not 100% though there are fantasy stories out there that leave you speechless without really depending on these stuff.

True

It was intended for Brownbeard's character actually. I guess this just means you're not interested in the slightest in his misery (which is part of Luffy's driving engine).
Understandable and acceptable, no biggie.

Yes but wasn't that what we've just gotten around 10-15 chapters ago as well? Feels repetitive :/

Sometimes repetition is tiresome for some, for others not. But this type of scenario, the knowledge that the good guy will win in the end, it's there in most stories. Also, Oda derailed from it a great deal with Luffy's failure back in the war.

Yes but add some sort of tension, give it some time, let some 'bad guys' get away, and let some of the bosses get taken down by other than the same old luffy. The war was of course expected to be lost, just as much as Naruto was to lose to sasuke, it was the set-up point for the end of the series.

Sure, I know that, most shonen heroes will win in the end, but some do a really good job at making me doubt it throughout the whole story. However, when reading one piece, the knowledge of the good guys winning is always PRESENT.

He left for his own selfishness while he admited that he knew of the ship's condition. If not apologise then what? Also , if he returned "changed" then that would ruin a lot of his character and OP bets a lot on the special comedy that each of the mains provide.

I wouldn't consider it selfish, Luffy gets all his friends' lives on the line challenging people much stronger than he is and the end-arc line-up where he leaves some weaklings like Ussop against people who'd realistically speaking (assuming they aren't really aware they're shonen characters) kill him easily. Which makes it all-the-more weird how luffy only started whining about it after losing to Kizaru/Kuma. Even weirder that he forgot his lesson and his own promise about not putting them in danger by being careless. That's selfish :o

This was the moment Ussop finally stood up for himself, and stopped being a push-over. He went up against the leader and showed that he's just as good as they are with his own style. The end of EL just ruined that all and made Ussop the same way he was before.

Yes, he focuses on the world. That's what he has been promising pre-Grand Line(how crazy things are there, and what a grand adventure it would be) and that's what he is delivering.

But we haven't gotten a true adventurous experience that was mind-blowing since Skypiea. But this is the new world, so we might get to it soon, that's why I want this arc to end as soon as possible

The slavery thing ended? It's a part of the overall WG/Dragon plot that we have yet to see (which is why I don't fully critisise OP just yet). We might see OP shifting gears at a hellish rate when that comes into play.

No not the whole slavery issue, just the one that was shown on-screen, it was like they're trying to put the kids reading the series at ease "don't worry, slaves are now free and bad guys have lost"
End Zionazism
Nov 22, 2012 1:15 AM

Mar 2012
Pipoko said:
Mikasa said:

I didn't say you dropped it, I assumed so, but you obviously didn't because you are still posting here anyway. I recommended that would be better to do so for you if all you do is bitch about it every time in a generic way, as that's what I usually do when I don't enjoy a series for a while. Geez, twist my words more will ya. Freaking troll.
Done with this.

Yes, the current chapters are in a chain-combo of crap, a really long combo, and doesn't help after being traumatized by FI or the filler-like mini-arc before and the very disappointing time-skip, but I'm still not dropping a 700-chapter series for that.

I haven't dropped bleach yet, when I do, THEN there might be a chance I'd actually consider dropping OP

I don't drop manga I spent much time reading. I do what I do.
End Zionazism
Nov 22, 2012 1:41 AM

Mar 2011
I've deleted the ones we seem to agree on (even if we disagree if they are satisfying or not).

Agreed, variety in scenario is always interesting, but it isn't necessary to happen all the time. Oda has been building everything in the "Paradise" part to lead up to the war. And he is doing it again to lead up to the last arc(or generally other future arcs). True, making predictions within an arc is easy(and sometimes boring) but I'm pretty sure you can't make predictions at that level for future arcs(like who the yonkou that Law proposed to take down is, how things will play out, what about Joker, the marines etc). At which point I'm sure you will say that "that's exactly why he mustn't drag these intro-arcs of the new world" to which I'll reply in advance that wether we agree on Oda's method and pace , that is subjective, but what is an undisputed fact is that Oda has created a lot of independent groups that interact with each other one way or another and it's infinetely better that he takes his time, otherwise he will easily lose control and make it all a mess.

Like I said, only within an arc.

I don't really understand this. Luffy would always pick up a fight with the strongest ones and during Thriller bark the crew realised this (when Luffy fainted after taking down Moria and before Kuma appeared)

You interpreted in a very subjective manner. It is clear that your respect for Ussopp increased back then but the point of that conflict was Ussopp's attachment to the ship and how it represented his fear of weakness. He didn't return the same. He manned up.

I agree that the most mind-blowing scenery/civilisation that we saw was Skypea but you are ignoring the rest too much. They all had something (less noticeable that Skypea of course) to show. Also, there is a potential "spaceship" island for you look forward to.

No!? He clearly picked that up again when in FI. He has been repeatedly showing it throughout the whole story since Tenryubito came into play, building up the theme of aristocracy versus slavery/freedom cuz apparently it's one of his favorite themes and wants to build it up to the maximum and save it for the last arc, when the WG will come into play in a direct manner.
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 22, 2012 3:46 AM
Mar 2012
the mangastream version is quite different, apparently the factory that products these df is on the island, and doflamingo wasn't striking deals with big names but "creating" big names. That makes me wonder, maybe pekom & that bonjour guy's abilities were the product of this? then it's gotta be big mom who used these dfs, it's might be really interesting
ShadugeNov 22, 2012 3:51 AM
Nov 22, 2012 7:13 AM
Sep 2012
Mikasa said:
Pipoko said:
Mikasa said:

Done with this.

Yes, the current chapters are in a chain-combo of crap, a really long combo, and doesn't help after being traumatized by FI or the filler-like mini-arc before and the very disappointing time-skip, but I'm still not dropping a 700-chapter series for that.

I haven't dropped bleach yet, when I do, THEN there might be a chance I'd actually consider dropping OP

I don't drop manga I spent much time reading. I do what I do.

I apologize if I seemed like I'm forcing my opinion on you. Of course everyone's free to do what they want. I really disagree with most of your statements, but I see no reason to argue with you because to me you seem throw back the same argument over and over again. So, whatever. Done for real now, I see no point in this.
Nov 22, 2012 9:40 AM

Aug 2012
Pipoko said:
So, whatever. Done for real now, I see no point in this.

There was never a point to begin with.
This world is mine. I think this world may even just be a long, long dream I'm watching. You guys may just be illusions, and it can't be proven whether or not you really exist either. In other words, this world was created with me at the center. So what will happen if I die? I don't know. My imagination isn't very creative; I just can't imagine myself dying. In other words, there is no way this world can completely disappear. But if I die, then everyone will disappear. I am the only one in this world who won't disappear. The rest are just people I see as if in a dream.

Nov 22, 2012 9:53 AM
Sep 2012
kiDnameDSkia said:
Pipoko said:
So, whatever. Done for real now, I see no point in this.

There was never a point to begin with.

Yeah, I got that when I saw Kanic's responses. Should have just ignored this whole thing. Oh well.

Anyways, I see the Mangastream version was out. They have a slightly better scanlation and translation as well. Enjoyed the chapter more thanks to that.
Nov 22, 2012 12:05 PM

Mar 2011
Pipoko said:

Yeah, I got that when I saw Kanic's responses.

What about them <:O ?
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 22, 2012 12:23 PM
Sep 2012
Kanic said:

What about them <:O ?

Just reminded of typical internet debates, nothing much, I wasn't even talking about the series anymore, so better to quit, no?

Is is just me or do some of you guys here also visit the Tvtropes forum? Some signatures seem really familiar.
Nov 22, 2012 1:44 PM

Aug 2012
I am faithful to only this forum <33333

Also, internet debates ---> special olympics comparison thingy.
(even if you win you're still a tard.)

Btw Kanic is one of the few good ones here, he actually has valid arguments and that's why I respect him so you haven't seen nothing of debates yet, this one with Mikasa is a mild one :D

(try tracing backslash and darklight on the fairy tail section, troll wars for like 100 chapters, lolz)

And yes I'm pointing out names directly, stating that those people should quit it and discuss through msges if they are so eager to and not spam on others in the chapter discussion threads. Same for everyone else, we are pure souls here!!!

Nov 22, 2012 1:52 PM

Mar 2011
@Pipoko
Since it's me and Mikasa having this "war" I might as well say that I feel no hatred towards him and that people at some point should man up, voice opinions ready to stand corrected and figure out that there do exist debates that are fun and interesting. It ain't my fault that everyone suffers from the stereotype that internet discussions get you nowhere and are full of hating etc etc
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 22, 2012 3:14 PM

Aug 2012
kiDnameDSkia said:

Btw Kanic is one of the few good ones here, he actually has valid arguments and that's why I respect him so you haven't seen nothing of debates yet, this one with Mikasa is a mild one :D

(try tracing backslash and darklight on the fairy tail section, troll wars for like 100 chapters, lolz)

And yes I'm pointing out names directly, stating that those people should quit it and discuss through msges if they are so eager to and not spam on others in the chapter discussion threads. Same for everyone else, we are pure souls here!!!

Those two literally HATE each other lol. It cracks me up to read their arguments.

And Kanic is def one of the better debaters on here, as he backs almost everything up with actual facts. He's corrected me a few times.
Nov 22, 2012 3:31 PM

Mar 2011
@Kid/LD
Appreciation appreciated ;)
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 23, 2012 3:32 AM
Nov 2012
kiDnameDSkia said:

luffydragneel said:

Those two literally HATE each other lol. It cracks me up to read their arguments.

And Kanic is def one of the better debaters on here, as he backs almost everything up with actual facts. He's corrected me a few times.

Kanic debate is more articulate, that I can give. However, that doesn't mean he is right.

His statement about OP main having no character development is blatantly wrong.

Not trying to start another war of course. I even asked him and Mikasa for a clarification for character development just to keep the discussion going but nope. Meh, whatever.
Nov 23, 2012 4:05 AM

Mar 2011
JoJo-A-Go-Go said:

Kanic debate is more articulate, that I can give. However, that doesn't mean he is right.

Not trying to start another war of course. I even asked him and Mikasa for a clarification for character development just to keep the discussion going but nope. Meh, whatever.

Well, trying hard here to keep up with everything.

That bit about Chopper , that was a manifestation of the comradeship theme and a repeat of his initial character. Not hating, just explaining. My actual concerns lie elsewhere.

Robin: Nice of you pointing that out , I accept my fault in this one. But I still can't accept Robin as an actual part of the crew. That's me, it's true. Frankly, she was just conveniently put in the crew in order to build the underlying theme .

Nami: Her reaction in FI wasn't really what I wanted to see. Considering her past I expected something more moving, more challenging.

Generally as you yourself pointed out the character development is very subtly, it depends a lot in the flashbacks of the characters and after they join the crew they blend in in a beautiful manner, but they don't really get attention as "individuals" but rather as parts of the crew and they throw some bits and pieces of how they react within a situation in every arc(e.g. Nami here wanting to protect the kids and other examples).

With that said, you must understand that I'm merely trying to find some common ground with Mikasa for the sake of conversation. I know that the above isn't "critisicm", it's an explanation of what One piece is. The character developments that me and Mikasa agreed on that is lacking is of different nature, in other words, more evident and possibly some chapters dedicated to a character, and possibly in an original non-shonen theme. Yet, you hang on that one phrase of mine and you failed to notice through the rest of my wall texts (;_;) that I was explaining and interpreting without bashing him and shutting him down. Tis all.

Anyway, my concerns lie elsewhere and it's too early to speak of that. When Oda decides to swift gears again , in a decade or so, we might have the rest of this conversation, and it's the kind of stuff that you don't really say in a thread where 99% of the users are eager to eat you alive, not to mention the excuse that "this is shonen, duh" that makes me want to puke. Maybe in comments some other time.
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 23, 2012 4:17 AM

Aug 2012
JoJo-A-Go-Go said:

I never said I agree with him/("that he's right") ^^ I just enjoy discussing with him.

^*quote;Kanic*

And I already had my post about character development so I'm not gonna repeat myself.

Nov 23, 2012 4:48 AM

Mar 2011
It seems that people missed my point through all these wall texts due to that one phrase. Everythings was for naught ;_:. Well, anyway, I got my point of view while still enjoying OP to the fullest in my own way.
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 23, 2012 5:05 AM

Aug 2012
Kanic said:
Well, anyway, I got my point of view while still enjoying OP to the fullest in my own way.

+1

That's what it's all about ^^
Nov 23, 2012 5:17 AM
Sep 2012
Might as well actually give my thoughts on this whole thing as I have time now.

Character Development(main char.):

Zoro: Willing to kill Luffy for his dream. → Giving his life away for the sake of him.
Nami: Loves money over everything else, can't fight that well, cowardly, hates fishmen. → Willing to give away all money to save a friend, learning to fight and stand on her own, forgives Hachi and reassures Jinbei.
Ussop: Cowardly, runs away in fights and can't fight that well. → Mans up, stands up on his own in fights, putting his pride away to apologize is probably one of the bravest things he's done, I think.
Robin: Wants to die(remember when Luffy saved her?) and doesn't care about the crew. → Regains will to live and warms up to the crew(calling them by their names).
Chopper: Considers himself a monster and hates himself for it. → Accepts who he is and rather than feeling bad about it uses it as a reason to grow stronger.
Luffy: Believe it or not, there is a little bit for him too, but it's a little tougher for me to describe it. Remember the moment in Drum when Vivi was shot? Yeah, that was referred back to in Amazon Lily and Fishman Island. He just learned to be more reasonable. I doubt Luffy would've given the order to run away at Sabaody back in the start of the series for example either.

Sanji, Franky and Brook are the only ones that haven't had anything like that, character exploration moments, sure, but not development.
That and there's still probably half a series left. You have to have very gradual development to keep the characters interesting and worth following. I also find it interesting that Chopper and Robin haven't had their "number chapters" yet. There has been no 5th or 6th.
PipokoNov 23, 2012 5:26 AM
Nov 23, 2012 5:32 AM
Nov 2012
Kanic said:

Nah, it's okay. I just wanted to make sure that you (and Mikasa) read my comment because OP having no character development is baffling. I wanted to multi quote and respond to each of your statement about the character development, but I realize I no longer care on having a discussion about this. I will keep it simple.

I think it's pretty obvious now that One Piece is NOT a character-driven story. As you and someone else has stated earlier- it focused more on world building. How the world is being set up, developed and presented to us, and how all these characters reacted to the world.

The character will show development when there needs to be one because they need be develop more naturally. Otherwise, people will complaint about it being too forced or sudden. One Piece had always been that type of story that takes time to builds up their story and character.

For example, one of the thing I like in this chapter is those little details such as Caribou being in Kaido island (whose now having a completed artificial mountain compare to two years ago), the Age of Smile thingy, the explanation for SAD and how it is related to Yonkou. Simply show how much planning has been put and how multi-layered One Piece arc can be.

That to me, is the most important thing in long running story. Not tons of character development where character will have to face inner conflict in every single arcs. It's the sense of continuity- where the story is actually heading somewhere and the planning and hints has been dropped along the way. However, that doesn't mean the character development will be non-existent because as I stated before, their development will be more subtle and natural to the situation.

not to mention the excuse that "this is shonen, duh" that makes me want to puke.

*brofist*

I know how you feel though I usually chuckle whenever I see someone makes that remark. It's like they are trying to act superior or know-it-all or something with that statement.

And just so everyone knows, I no longer care about the character (and the story) in One Piece. It just that "OP having no (main and side) character development" statement being so totally wrong made me come here. I'm off now. Have fun everyone.

Pipoko said:

Might as well actually give my thoughts on this whole thing as I have time now.

Character Development(main char.):

Well done *sobs* At least now I feel much better before leaving.
Knfe-PrtyNov 23, 2012 5:36 AM
Nov 23, 2012 5:36 AM
Sep 2012
JoJo-A-Go-Go said:
Kanic said:

Nah, it's okay. I just wanted to make sure that you (and Mikasa) read my comment because OP having no character development is baffling. I wanted to multi quote and respond to each of your statement about the character development, but I realize I no longer care on having a discussion about this. I will keep it simple.

I think it's pretty obvious now that One Piece is NOT a character-driven story. As you and someone else has stated earlier- it focused more on world building. How the world is being set up, developed and presented to us, and how all these characters reacted to the world.

The character will show development when there needs to be one because they need be develop more naturally. Otherwise, people will complaint about it being too forced or sudden. One Piece had always been that type of story that takes time to builds up their story and character.

For example, one of the thing I like in this chapter is those little details such as Caribou being in Kaido island (whose now having a completed artificial mountain compare to two years ago), the Age of Smile thingy, the explanation for SAD and how it is related to Yonkou. Simply show how much planning has been put and how multi-layered One Piece arc can be.

That to me, is the most important thing in long running story. Not tons of character development where character will have to face inner conflict in every single arcs. It's the sense of continuity- where the story is actually heading somewhere and the planning and hints has been dropped along the way. However, that doesn't mean the character development will be non-existent because as I stated before, their development will be more subtle and natural to the situation.

not to mention the excuse that "this is shonen, duh" that makes me want to puke.

*brofist*

I know how you feel though I usually chuckle whenever I see someone makes that remark. It's like they are trying to act superior or know-it-all or something with that statement.

And just so everyone knows, I no longer care about the character (and the story) in One Piece. It just that "OP having no (main and side) character development" statement being so totally wrong made me come here. I'm off now. Have fun everyone.

That's too bad that you no longer care, but nice post regardless. If it's not too rude to ask, why don't you no longer care about the story? I also hate whenever someone brings the excuse that this is shonen and meant to be that way, as there are actually shonen series that do character development if not superbly, then at least well enough.
Nov 26, 2012 9:32 AM

Jul 2009
Doflamingo is truly the puppet master behind all of this. I wonder just how much influence he has in the new world?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1118 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Today

9 by ShokatAli »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1117 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Jun 11

61 by landofthekwt »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 95 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 1, 2009

28 by Zowabo »»
Today, 6:15 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 77 Discussion

VARIAchan - Sep 22, 2010

18 by Zowabo »»
Today, 4:27 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 68 Discussion

ToxxicTeardrop - Aug 22, 2010

24 by Zowabo »»
Yesterday, 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.