Aug 10, 2012 11:19 AM

Jul 2012
usagi drop renewed my faith
Aug 10, 2012 11:21 AM
Nov 2010
Narmy said:
Too much moe.
Not enough moe

Also why isn't this in Anime Discussion?
Aug 10, 2012 11:27 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
hmm, the era of good animes far from over. Madoka for example, Amazing! An era of famous, popular, And/Or good "long running" animes such as Bleach, Naruto, PERHAPS coming to an end. Most of them probably already ready to wrap up lol. Also lot of animes coming out now no longer run that long and are as famous.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 10, 2012 12:09 PM

Mar 2011
The good anime era is over.

I remember, back in the day when we had good anime, in fact, ALL anime was good, and there was none of this "moe" or "harem" nonsense that you young un's are so infatuated with today. Nowadays though it's all this new age shit, it doesn't compare to the stuff we had back in the old days, anime these days, no morals or quality, like today's generation of youth's, I remember I had to live in a shoebox in the middle of the road, and we watched REAL anime, kids and anime these days don't know what good even is. Damn you whippersnappers! *shakes fist*
Aug 10, 2012 12:16 PM

May 2012
epic anime will continue to be as long as amime continue to be aired ...
what we have to realise is that when we first started , we had a lot of epic series unseen .... ie from rurouni kenshin to code geass but they did take a lot of time to come through so after watching all classic epicness together , one may feel its all over now ... but finding good anime is always easier with good otaku friends and maybe that is the purpose of this website according to me that is finding gr8 anime to watch
Aug 10, 2012 12:19 PM

Mar 2011
Wait for another one, it will come. 2007 heeded my call.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Aug 10, 2012 12:20 PM

May 2012
the,re is nothing for us to hape that we shall obercome and have fanyastic shonen anime again
Aug 10, 2012 12:21 PM

May 2012
Neane1993 said:
NicoleB said:
A lot of older anime is absolutely terrible.

An unproportionally large number of 80's and 90's "Original Video Animations" are amongst the worst anime I've ever seen. Angel Cop, MD Geist (I'm not sure I can find a single positive quality about MD Geist, and it's no surprise that it's rated amongst the 10 worst on any of the anime databases. Wait, Wakamoto voiced Geist so it is not the worst anime ever made, but I watched it dubbed so I wouldn't have known.), Judge, Virgin Fleet, Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, Apocalypse Zero, Guyver, Blood Reign, Demon City Shinjuku, Psycho Diver, Dragoon, Princess Rouge, Hanappe Bazooka, Wizardry, Madara, Earthian, Campus Special Investigator Hikaruon, Call me tonight, Iczer One, etc.

an advice to you .... drop all crappy anime and dont watch them
Aug 10, 2012 12:21 PM
Mar 2012
you know its gotta probably do with the funding these days.

I mean i love it when people on youtube have the audacity to post free episodes of anime!
only funimation,crunchyroll, and hulu are allowed to do that as far am i'm concerned!
Aug 10, 2012 12:46 PM

Apr 2011
It's all because of the cash.
Aug 10, 2012 12:52 PM

Nov 2011
fantomu said:
It's all because of the cash.

nope

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 10, 2012 1:35 PM

Apr 2012
rederoin said:
Plenty of good anime these days, and like some said before, some anime are still very hyped. like SoA

Going by /a/, yuru yuri S2 seems to be getting a lot of attention(same goes for kokoro connect, but at a lower rate).

Annoiato said:
The era of 'good anime' ended circa 2006

In your opinion*
sorry i assumed you weren't mentally handicapped. so i will restate what i said: the era of 'good anime' ended circa 2006, in my opinion.

while we're on the subject, stop using op seeing 39 anime as some kind of credibility meter.
Aug 10, 2012 1:41 PM

Nov 2011
Annoiato said:
rederoin said:
Plenty of good anime these days, and like some said before, some anime are still very hyped. like SoA

Going by /a/, yuru yuri S2 seems to be getting a lot of attention(same goes for kokoro connect, but at a lower rate).

Annoiato said:

In your opinion*
sorry i assumed you weren't mentally handicapped. so i will restate what i said: the era of 'good anime' ended circa 2006, in my opinion.

while we're on the subject, stop using op seeing 39 anime as some kind of credibility meter.

Not my fault you don't know how make a sentence.

Aug 10, 2012 1:42 PM

May 2009
You just have to find the gold in a pile of dirt. That's the usual. That's life actually.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Aug 10, 2012 1:43 PM

Nov 2008
Anime is getting even better... there's no point in stopping now.
Aug 10, 2012 1:46 PM
Nov 2010
No, it hasn't. Why would it?
Aug 10, 2012 1:49 PM

Apr 2012
rederoin said:
Annoiato said:
rederoin said:

Annoiato said:

In your opinion*

In your opinion*
Aug 10, 2012 1:49 PM

Nov 2011
Annoiato said:
rederoin said:
Annoiato said:
rederoin said:

Annoiato said:

In your opinion*

In your opinion*

Are you just pretending to be stupid? or what?

Aug 10, 2012 2:09 PM

Apr 2012
rederoin said:
Annoiato said:
rederoin said:
Annoiato said:
rederoin said:

Annoiato said:

In your opinion*

In your opinion*

Are you just pretending to be stupid? or what?
no you definitely aren't pretending to be stupid, you are definitely stupid, in my opinion.
Aug 10, 2012 2:16 PM

Jul 2007
One of the things that happens with the anime industry, is you are never going to see a ton of mainstream series that make it high in the popularity charts and become worldwide phenomon's like naruto, bleach, one piece, death note, code geass, etc.

Thier is of course going to always be series that are great and catter to the natural audience, but to find a show that truly excells beyond normal conventional means and becomes world wide popular is few and far between. That does not happen that often. Most of the shows that gain that type of wide spead popularity in the US or outside japan is manga that are serialized in shonen jump.

It really all comes down to personal preference, what you grew up on. If you grew up on in the old school era, you might have a different outlook on how the industry has changed dramatically based on artistic approach, story direction, originality, etc.

But i really do not think this era is dead or even close to it. They are trying to create new idea's and concepts well retaining some pretty interesting stories from the old days. On the other hand , their are alot of average series that have came out as well. You just have to really look around more.

Now lolicon is one such trend in the anime industry that has changed dramatically and has been incorporated into alot of series today, so if your not a fan of any loli or girls that are to feminized. Comparing that to the old era of series or ova's where characters were portrayed with a much more originality sense to them, i can see your point sort of in some respects.

Some people like this new style, well others find the golden age of anime to be much more inviting. Its just all bout what you prefer i guess. It is like the video game industry, things keep evolving, and evolution takes place with in the industry and changing year by year. Judging by your list though, if its accurate, i wouldn't certainly make this type of accusations until you have seen a more variety of shows out their.

Aug 10, 2012 2:16 PM

Mar 2012
Neane1993 said:
NicoleB said:

An unproportionally large number of 80's and 90's "Original Video Animations" are amongst the worst anime I've ever seen.

Indeed, that's largely what I was getting at, I've a lot of older shows on my list because originally we didn't have a computer and a lot of the anime shows I watched were on DVDs and they often were much older shows, around the 80s and 90s...

Which a lot of them I hated, so it's actually quite surprising I stuck with anime.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 10, 2012 2:27 PM

Jul 2007
NicoleB said:
Neane1993 said:
NicoleB said:

An unproportionally large number of 80's and 90's "Original Video Animations" are amongst the worst anime I've ever seen.

Indeed, that's largely what I was getting at, I've a lot of older shows on my list because originally we didn't have a computer and a lot of the anime shows I watched were on DVDs and they often were much older shows, around the 80s and 90s...

Which a lot of them I hated, so it's actually quite surprising I stuck with anime.

Some old classics can really been seen in a different light though, the old school style of pen and paper method proved that the animators didn't have to rely on computer or CG effects. IN most cases alot of animators are lazy now a days because they rely on CG and computer for alot of their scenes. But if you want a series that has the old traditional style like movies like Metropolis or Akira, you will find something just extraordinary bout the motion picture brilliance that goes into those films.

Personally i think alot of series and movies today should follow "akira's" example in production and animation, nothing even comes close to the amount of fluidity introduced in that movie and we are taking about a movie that was from the 1980's. But that is my opinion, well i believe the industry has changed and i do prefer the much more higher quality action sequences and bright colors, digital audio effects, etc. I do think that animators are alot more lazy then they used to be back in the early era. Production has changed as well with the introduction of computer's and CG. Lots of still frames, as apposed to more fluid animation cells. I have seen that alot in some of the newer series.

But every now and then you do run into a new series that has high expectations and the animation turns out splendid like the kara no kyo kai movies. But the majority of anime seen today uses to many still images and frames to depict sequences and i personally think that is a step backwards compared to the early 2000 era or 1980's to 1990's.
ArtimesGamerAug 10, 2012 2:30 PM

Aug 10, 2012 2:28 PM

Dec 2009
I wouldn't say the era of good anime is finished. Although the mid to late 2000s was a good era for anime, there were also many MANY bad anime during that period. This current era of anime is picking up traction quite slowly. Even so, a lot of anime have caused quite a stir these last 2 years. Maybe this current anime era is going to be better than the last one.
Aug 10, 2012 2:46 PM

Mar 2012
link9us said:
Some old classics can really been seen in a different light though, the old school style of pen and paper method proved that the animators didn't have to rely on computer or CG effects. IN most cases alot of animators are lazy now a days because they rely on CG and computer for alot of their scenes. But if you want a series that has the old traditional style like movies like Metropolis or Akira, you will find something just extraordinary bout the motion picture brilliance that goes into those films.

It doesn't bother me at all the animation style, it's largely the shows I watched back then were often extremely violent and had some extreme scenes in them.

Which is largely why I hated them.

Although that isn't the only reason, it's a main one for why I dislike a lot of shows from back then.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 10, 2012 2:56 PM

Sep 2010
Emotocon said:
IZUMI64 said:
Narmy said:
Too much moe.

and fujoshi crappy stuff

Probably the real reason right here.

So anime is getting worse because some anime creators(who are also anime fans just so you know) are making anime that satisfy certain fans that just don't happen to be you? Self-centered much.

Aug 10, 2012 3:00 PM

Jan 2010
Natsuyuki Rendezvous is currently airing. Anime is still (somewhat) good.

Anyway OP isn't even watching anything this season, or anything from the recent past seasons even.
Aug 10, 2012 3:05 PM

Dec 2008
holypoop said:

Anyway OP isn't even watching anything this season, or anything from the recent past seasons even.

The OP has revealed that he's watched more series than he has on his list. Don't understand why he would do that on a site which centres around the idea of lists, its no wonder everyone is taking his list at face value, but then again, it is his list.
Aug 10, 2012 3:17 PM

Mar 2012
holypoop said:

While I do enjoy Natsuyuki, a generic romance is not the best example.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 10, 2012 3:20 PM

Oct 2010
InfiniteRyvius said:
The good anime era is over.

I remember, back in the day when we had good anime, in fact, ALL anime was good, and there was none of this "moe" or "harem" nonsense that you young un's are so infatuated with today. Nowadays though it's all this new age shit, it doesn't compare to the stuff we had back in the old days, anime these days, no morals or quality, like today's generation of youth's, I remember I had to live in a shoebox in the middle of the road, and we watched REAL anime, kids and anime these days don't know what good even is. Damn you whippersnappers! *shakes fist*

You brought me tears! Manly ones, of course.

Seriously though, I feel my exposition to anime is too superficial to classify the different eras in levels of quality, but even if there was a drop in general quality the industry is varied enough to offer strong anime from various sources every year. Makoto Shinkai or Mamoru Hosoda are developing authors with strong potential in their future works. Ghibli still does good stuff, even if not as much as in the 80s and 90s. And apparently Masaaki Yuasa is moving in levels of awesomeness (want to watch The tatami galaxy someday) with every work he makes. I have a few modern shows in my plan to watch list and have watched very recent ones like Usagi Drop or Mahou Shoujo Madoka magica which are quite outstanding to be honest.

And also, in part as a personal issue (I started only three years ago with anime, don't want it to be declared dead so soon, specially when I have so many shows to watch yet), I refuse to believe these -often caused by nostalgia extremism- statements about the global quality of the industry.
jal90Aug 10, 2012 3:25 PM
Aug 10, 2012 3:33 PM

Jun 2012
op has seen 39 anime, thread should be closed.
Aug 10, 2012 3:34 PM

Sep 2008
Citizeninsane said:
No. People say the same about music, movies, books, it's a false perception.

Since this definition of "good" is entirely subjected to your view it actually has no bearing on reality. Anime is going to adapt just like any other media outlet, whether it is defined as "good" will be entirely on the individuals that decide to watch it.

Yeah...No, Taste is subjective, Quality is not, Quality can be measured, quantified and analyzed. Taste is subjective because it's based on a person's ability to identify the quality.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 10, 2012 3:37 PM

Oct 2010
Jigero said:
Citizeninsane said:

Since this definition of "good" is entirely subjected to your view it actually has no bearing on reality. Anime is going to adapt just like any other media outlet, whether it is defined as "good" will be entirely on the individuals that decide to watch it.

Yeah...No, Taste is subjective, Quality is not, Quality can be measured, quantified and analyzed. Taste is subjective because it's based on a person's ability to identify the quality.

Taste can also be measured, quantified and analyzed and that doesn't make it less subjective.
Aug 10, 2012 3:46 PM

Nov 2009
I think the problem that people are noticing with good anime is that good anime are usually made out of good manga, now that most of the good manga that are over have been made into anime production crews turned to new manga. They then began making anime of manga that was nowhere near completion leading to a lot of anime that fail. This however doesn't necessarily apply however since this has been a problem for awhile now, also in some cases anime that veer off the course of the manga still are successes not too mention their are many original anime coming out each season. One reason I believe their may be a decline in anime is because as the artwork for anime gets better so has the genre Ecchi/Harem gotten larger.
Aug 10, 2012 3:53 PM

Apr 2012
Shuhan said:
implying there's more than 39 anime series worth seeing.
Aug 10, 2012 3:56 PM

Sep 2010
Annoiato said:
Shuhan said:

No, it's implying that it would take more than seeing 39 out of 20k anime to be reasonably make the claim anime is in any state of decline. Of course if you want to discard reason that's another matter.

Aug 10, 2012 4:02 PM

Mar 2012
Post-Josh said:
I'd laugh if he just doesn't update his list and all the people saying "you've only seen ___" look like idiots.
LoneWolf said:
Aug 10, 2012 4:09 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:
Annoiato said:
Shuhan said:

No, it's implying that it would take more than seeing 39 out of 20k anime to be reasonably make the claim anime is in any state of decline. Of course if you want to discard reason that's another matter.
what is the standard on how many series you have watched to deduct anime is going down the toilet
Aug 10, 2012 4:11 PM

Sep 2010
Annoiato said:
Anime_Name said:
Annoiato said:
Shuhan said:

what is the standard on how many series you have watched to deduct anime is going down the toilet

I don't know but can say, 39 isn't it.

Aug 10, 2012 4:13 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:
Annoiato said:
Anime_Name said:
Annoiato said:
Shuhan said:

there we go, you don't know. you just have this very vague idea of watching 'a lot of anime' = having credibility.
Aug 10, 2012 4:18 PM

Oct 2010
Annoiato said:
Anime_Name said:
Annoiato said:
Anime_Name said:
Annoiato said:
Shuhan said:

there we go, you don't know. you just have this very vague idea of watching 'a lot of anime' = having credibility.

But in generalization statements like this the equivalence is actually right.
Aug 10, 2012 4:22 PM

Sep 2010
Annoiato said:

More like it seeing more would give the OP something more to comment on other than saying he can not find as many AMVs or fan-generated crap as he used to. Who knows, maybe if he watched more he would know what names to search for when looking up AMVs.

Aug 10, 2012 4:41 PM

Jan 2012
Jigero said:
Citizeninsane said:

You do realize when you use words such as measure/quantified/analyzed they are still subject to a rubric that you use to evaluate said anime? There isn't any objective basis to evaluate anime on, many people may agree to a specific rubric to evaluate anime, but it isn't universal.
Aug 10, 2012 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:

More like it seeing more would give the OP something more to comment on other than saying he can not find as many AMVs or fan-generated crap as he used to. Who knows, maybe if he watched more he would know what names to search for when looking up AMVs.
op has a pretty terrible argument, though i would argue it's much more about quality than quantity in terms of 'credibility' in anime, whatever that means.

jal90 said:

But in generalization statements like this the equivalence is actually right.
no it doesn't, more anime viewed and credibility imply correlation, not equivalence. equivalence implies a direct relation.
Aug 10, 2012 4:55 PM

Nov 2011
NNick said:
Japanese should start working with Western story writers...
It's quite sad to watch that their potential is being wasted on creating constant fanservice loli anime...

You sure know a lot about which anime are airing/in production.

Oh wait...

Aug 10, 2012 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
NNick said:
It's quite sad to watch that their potential is being wasted on creating constant fanservice loli anime...

There needs to be more anime adaptations of classic and/or renowned novels from anywhere. Someone make this happen.

rederoin said:
NNick said:

Oh wait...

Ahaha, honestly, can you shut up already? All you've done in this thread is insulted practically everyone for petty reasons. I'm not sure if you think you're a bad-ass or something, but you aren't.
JoshAug 10, 2012 5:01 PM
LoneWolf said:
Aug 10, 2012 5:00 PM

Jun 2012
NNick said:

Sound like troll, but I definitively agree.

More cultural crossing please, so this ridiculous ethnic debate about otaku, weebos wannabe or whatever stop.

Moebius is on MAL, I want more like this. (also, means it become MyAnimationList, this would be great)

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 10, 2012 5:03 PM

Nov 2011
Post-Josh said:
NNick said:

There needs to be more anime adaptations of classic and/or renowned novels from anywhere. Someone make this happen.

rederoin said:
NNick said:

Oh wait...

Ahaha, honestly, can you shut up already? All you've done in this thread is insulted practically everyone for petty reasons. I'm not sure if you think you're a bad-ass or something, but you aren't.

lol?

Nice assumption.
If you don't like my posts, ignore them.

Aug 10, 2012 5:07 PM

Sep 2010
op has a pretty terrible argument, though i would argue it's much more about quality than quantity in terms of 'credibility' in anime, whatever that means.

It is not about quality over quantity, it's about whether or not he has seen or is even aware of the anime that fans of today are latching on to.

The op even admits to this problem in the second line of his post. He has yet to see many anime and he can't really say that the anime he has yet to see has not blown him away. Now after he watches some of the currently highly regarded anime and if he is not blown away by them he would have the ability to form the opinion that anime is in some sort of decline, even if it is just a personal decline to him.

There were about 150 anime produce in 2011, 25 of which I would call must watches for anime fans in general. In the year of Bebop there were 100 anime and 15 must sees*. Which is ~15% for both years. Now, in order for the op to argue against my numbers about 2011 he has to see the anime from that year and I probably need to name those 25...but they are beside the point.

Aug 10, 2012 5:10 PM

Sep 2010
Post-Josh said:
NNick said:

Then you'd have people like NNick complaining about the fanservice and sexual content of things like The Southern Vampire Mysteries. I'd rather keep people like him limited to thinking only anime and stuff from Japan indulges in titillating fans.

Aug 10, 2012 5:31 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:
It is not about quality over quantity,

okay, so it's about quantity over quality then?

it's about whether or not he has seen or is even aware of the anime that fans of today are latching on to.

well he has to be if he's making an argument that anime is declining.

The op even admits to this problem in the second line of his post. He has yet to see many anime and he can't really say that the anime he has yet to see has not blown him away. Now after he watches some of the currently highly regarded anime and if he is not blown away by them he would have the ability to form the opinion that anime is in some sort of decline, even if it is just a personal decline to him.

why are you talking about the op? i'm not defending how shoddy his argument is.

There were about 150 anime produce in 2011, 25 of which I would call must watches for anime fans in general.

low entertainment standard. honest. not even insulting you. just saying if there are 25 must watch anime series for you in a year alone, your entertainment standard is low.

In the year of Bebop there were 100 anime and 15 must sees*. Which is ~15% for both years. Now, in order for the op to argue against my numbers about 2011 he has to see the anime from that year and I probably need to name those 25...but they are beside the point.
no he doesn't. why does he need to watch 100 animes to discuss anything.

you obviously have a lot of time on your hands, because you're saying a person needs to watch a shitload of, well, shit, to argue about the quality of the anime industry when quite frankly, all it takes is a look at the creatively bankrupt premises of 3/4th of premiering anime to show that this industry is in decline, or at the very least, stagnant.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1040 by Sounded_Neptune »»
9 minutes ago

» What views on anime make you feel like some 2nd century Christian who rejects most of the gospels on obscure gnostic grounds.

vasipi4946 - 5 hours ago

5 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
14 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

101 by Lost_Viking »»
18 minutes ago

» What anime character has the most annoying/toxic haters? ( 1 2 3 )

Adimus_prime - Mar 8, 2021

134 by phantom346 »»
25 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - Today

26 by Serafos »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.