Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 15, 2011 9:54 PM

Oct 2010
Love the show but didnt like the episode =(
May 15, 2011 10:02 PM

Oct 2010
This episode was Tomoe eccentric and told more than enough about her circumstances of forced marriage, which is really pitiful because I never liked any forced marriage. This episode had 2 amazing comedic moments. Of whom concerns those survival guys in the following,

those guys got me cracked up more than anything during the Minko rice ball tasting in the spoiler
that moment I just LOL so hard mainly due to how the 2 guys reacted to the taste of the rice balls and Minko's reaction with the face she made sure told me a lot about her being uttermost happy and Nako confirms it later. Well at first that sniper gun from of those guys got a little scared because if it is really a paintball gun it could the skin of those girls. Girls are more sensitive to pain in general. I did confirmed from where the guy was aiming was perverted since after seeing Ohana's chest he switched to being more excited of Nako's chest. As that guy passed I see they are using authentic military things. Who knew that Nako would be scared in the end of just the bush movements. She would so not survive in forest alone. Back to the army equipment from the looks of here they are using authentic walk y-talky military grade and they also play it urban. I would like to play with those kinds of guys TBH but none of my friend were into that and I don't like paintball particularly.

Those guys are really the pros to sneak near Ohana while she was bathing and unfortunately they got caught by Tomoe. Another equipment to mention they use is the side gun camera. There was a movie made about them being used. They are killer because I can see you before you see me to shoot in corners. Nice vision goggles but unfortunately my eyes hurt when I figured out the legs belonged to Mr Novelist. Unfortunate for him that he got caught in the shots and that in the end he got KO down. What really impressed me with those guys apart from their determination to play their game and their arsenal is that they listened to Tomoe as well as even saluted her in the spoiler
It might silly but that big ass respect in the army to name someone suddenly a commander and salute them. Tomoe thus showed that she can adapt to customer specific situations and that is exactly what a inn should do!

About Tomoe, she really cracked and she is the reason of my LOL hard #2. It happened exactly in the following,

as she hosed down those survival game people and of course lovely Nako/Ohana shining towards Tomoe's determination in the spoiler
Tomoe from the beginning has a very nice block where she lives and her room is very simple and girlish. I like her drapes and bed covers. I think that the TV with the teddy bear makes it more female of a room since she is girl and yes I like architecture and homeroom when I can talk about it. Poor Tomoe's face as she learns that her mother told all the neighbor about Tomoe being the only one not married. Tomoe nevertheless looked damn good in her going out of her place jacket. Unfortunate for her that her mail was full of mail of most likely ignored marriage invitations. I have to say that they made the town very nice by showing a view of it during the morning. In the inn is that cockroach I see? Tomoe was so hilarious in the spoiler
and that dark shadow over her face is quite the scary point of the people to come to the inn. I loved the background with those people coming to the inn in the spoiler
rather showed well Tomoe's frustration with them from their last visit.

BTW loved seeing Ohana in bath towel in the spoiler
she was really nice to see more of the skin without having the annoying in your face obvious fan service. It was small time fan service but not in the face and not annoying. I liked that Tomoe scolded her while Ohana was in her bath towel. Do not anger Tomoe! Here evil eye upon the Novelist meddling in overhearing something she said scared the living shit out of the Novelist. Enichi was no different when he saw the face that Tomoe made in the spoiler
Poor Nako the army guys are harassing her most likely due to her chest and her face sure shows that she does not like it. Tomoe looks good in that shirt and considering the kind it is, inevitable it was to see a little more of her lining and breasts. Yeah details to notice. Loved that war classical movie in the spoiler
considering it was black and white as well as had at the end of it a sniper soldier. Loved Tomoe's expression here and did she really say cock? Here while she was waking those guys up. After that waking it was obvious that Nako and Ohana would be impressed by her ways of getting those guys. Another lovely face of Tomoe here. The most important of a development between Ohana/Nako and Tomoe is in the spoiler
as they called her older sister due to her head waitress status.
That was key progress.

About miscellaneous stuff, well Minko's face was sure angry at the fact that they did not eat the prepared meal but that is until she found out that the army guys only eat military food rations. I am wondering WTF are those things on Tomoe's face.

About preview, looks like episode 8 will be the shit turning point mainly because grand mother is getting sick and OMG holy shit @ Kou is coming to see Ohana! Scream! Yes! Stuff might pick lots and considering the Chef freaks out about something, I so want to know about all that.
Yumekichi11May 28, 2011 12:10 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 15, 2011 10:13 PM
Feb 2010
The survival gamers and the short scene with Minchi in it made this episode for me.

Nuff' said ^ w ^

(Score: 5/5)
| "In my time, the wowd is WUINED AND WIFEWESS!."

- Paradox (Yugioh: Bonds Beyond Time Abridged Movie) |

May 15, 2011 10:49 PM

Jul 2010
bleh, I don't really care for Ko coming back. But this was a good episode.
May 15, 2011 11:25 PM

Jul 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Here evil eye upon the Novelist

I thought Tomoe=Revy
↓this too
May 15, 2011 11:29 PM
Apr 2011
geezer said:

Survival gamers? Are you serious?

This episode sort of lacked substance, so it filled the void with whacky comedy. I like comedy, but only if it's well done and fits in well with other aspects of the series. In this case, I dare say the comedy wasn't that funny and made me wonder whether I was watching the right series. I just don't get what's so funny about pathetic survival gamers trying to sneak a peek at bathing girls or Tomoe's attempts to get fired by the manager.

It pained me to watch this episode since it started off so well with Tomoe's thoughts about her future. She is in her thirties and clearly feels the pressure to marry and to start a family. Her friends are all married and her parents keep talking about their unborn grandchildren. It's an issue that has a lot of potential if dealt with correctly. Hanasaku Iroha however once again (ab-)uses an interesting topic as pretext for nonsensical comedy. The very same happened in episode 6 in which the inn's financial crisis lead to fanservice and Ohana's twisted logic concerning risque outfits. It feels like the series is slapping its own face by presenting the potential it has got in the beginning and then quickly ruining all of it.

The conclusion at the end made amends for this episode's mediocre execution, though. Tomoe decided not to give in to her mother but to continue the job she loves. I feel like the series is subconsciously following a pattern: Introduce an interesting premise, continue with a weak plot that does not realize the premise's potential at all, add a little comedy and fanservice, then end it with a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It chooses a good starting point and knows what the outcome should be, but doesn't know how to get there. I really hope they're gonna fix this problem, the preview at least looks very very promising.

2/5

Must say I agree with this. I'm surprised at the positive responses for this episode, I found it much less enjoyable than the other ones, even the third. The survival gamers thing just totally isn't realistic, and it deviated so much from the normal story.

It's like putting fries inside a cake; they may be good by themselves but don't work well combined.
May 16, 2011 12:58 AM

Oct 2010
zimno said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Here evil eye upon the Novelist

I thought Tomoe=Revy
↓this too
There is nothing wrong in going wild with some psycho in it when you want out of all this. Funny stuff it all backfires. Oh the ROFL of that!

May 16, 2011 1:01 AM

Oct 2009
I enjoyed this episode a lot. I was smiling the whole time. :)
May 16, 2011 1:12 AM

Feb 2011
Aeis said:
I enjoyed this episode a lot. I was smiling the whole time. :)
QFT!!!

Sorry Ko, Chef Tooru's way too cool, I stopped rooting for you 6 episodes ago.
May 16, 2011 1:19 AM

Feb 2010
Cant stop watching, this show makes me feel warm and happy inside.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2011 1:32 AM

Sep 2010
Nice episode.
May 16, 2011 1:41 AM

Aug 2009
I was smiling from start to end.
With all those commands, it gets funnier when you remember that Mamiko Noto is the one voicing Tomoe.

Drama next week, can't wait!
May 16, 2011 2:32 AM
Apr 2011
XxshizxX said:
From a shy sawako to a fiercely commander tomoe that's our noto mamiko <3

geezus! lol RWJ much?

Indeed. I was looking forward to this ep since I was curious as to how Noto Mamiko was going to sound. I hear she does get typecasted in some roles (Kimi Ni Todoke - Sawako)
But I'm glad she's getting more range of roles.

That scene with Jiro screaming in the bath was hilarious. The episode was fairly predictable but it was a good change of pace with the awaited drama to happen. Unfortunately the episode doesn't add much to the overall plotline I believe, unless Tomoe starts running the place with an Iron fist, or if those soldiers return again.
May 16, 2011 3:54 AM

Aug 2009
''Et tu, Brute?'' orz

Even though I expected this episode to be kinda silly ever since I had seen its title in the last ep's preview, I was nonetheless disappointed. That is not to say I hated it or anything but in Hanasaku Iroha terms it was meh. Well, serves me right for getting my hopes high for this anime.
Still, all is not lost; judging by the preview next week should be a lot better.
3/5
May 16, 2011 6:05 AM

Aug 2010
Best ep of the season so far.
May 16, 2011 6:23 AM

Feb 2011
Tomoe is an awesome character to this show. I would've cried if she quited being a waitress at the inn.
May 16, 2011 6:33 AM

Jun 2009
My heart is so fukken warm now. I can't take it, i love this show.
Great to finally see more of Tomoe, she's awesome. And Minchi was so great this episode, even though she had a little appearance.

It seems like Ko's gonna visit next episode, can't wait for some development between Ohana and him.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
May 16, 2011 7:16 AM

Oct 2010
So wait, Tomoe just pulled of all those crazy antics, in an attempt to drive out those military geeks so they never come here again and get herself fired in the process, only for it to end up being good thing!?! Woah, just Woah.

Oh and Kou-chan's finally gonna come see Ohana. Hopefully we can get this relationship started. I don't really want an Ohana x Tohru ship as it will only cause more angst/hatred on Minko's side.
May 16, 2011 7:18 AM
Oct 2010
imho, that episode was kinda boring unlike the last one. :/
May 16, 2011 7:40 AM

Nov 2007
That was better than I expected.

Tomoe is made of so much win. And next week's ep looks like it's going to be amazing. Can't wait. Ko-chan at last!

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
May 16, 2011 9:07 AM

Apr 2010
rodac said:
Aversa said:
...Tomoe certainly had it hard with her mother glad that my parents don't want any grand children since that sounds like a nightmare.
I heard military rations are pretty bad tho i never tasted them myself which makes me wonder are they really as bad as they say they are?
And are there really people in this world who like them when there is other food available?

Give your parents 10 or 15 years and see what they say about grandkids then.
If i wait 10 to 15 more years they will be in there 70's so i doubt about that but there might be a possibility.

rodac said:
Yes.
I am lucky military service isn't forced here anymore as it would have been hell for me and i am not just talking about the rations which would have contributed tho.

rodac said:
A few. But then I once had a brother-in-law who lived on hotdogs and popcorn (and looked it), so just about anything is possible diet-wise. The key is that those guys were in the throes of re-enactment. Think of it as the equivalent of an rpg convention where everyone is dressed as hobbits and orcs and speaks with what their conception is of a medieval accent. Their reaction to what Tomoe did is roughly what the reaction of a group of otakus would be if the waitresses at the Holiday Inn where a convention was held suddenly started doing cosplay.
People have some weird diets and i wonder why there health isn't effected by it at times, tho when there health gets effected it can get pretty bad.

And indeed some people have strange hobby's but as long as they don't hurt or bother anyone else with it there should not be a problem and there free to do as they want.
May 16, 2011 10:38 AM

Oct 2010
Aversa said:
rodac said:
Yes.
I am lucky military service isn't forced here anymore as it would have been hell for me and i am not just talking about the rations which would have contributed tho.
OMG no! Shitting and sleeping outside is terrible compared to being at home. That's why those guys are wannabe army people. They like the intense action but not 24/7 like in the army. Get why this is popular? You can have all the fun without the crap to deal that the military may be for some.

May 16, 2011 11:37 AM

Oct 2007
Holy Sh*t, Mamiko is awesome... oh wait... I mean Tomoe-nee-san is awesome.
"Ok, baby! Get some!"

P.S. They should really give Mamiko more of this kind of role because it can show how capable she is.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 16, 2011 12:07 PM

Oct 2007
Its was enjoyable though really felt like i was watching a side story to the show XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2011 12:19 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Tomoe wins.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 16, 2011 12:23 PM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:
rodac said:
Yes.
OMG no! Shitting and sleeping outside is terrible compared to being at home. That's why those guys are wannabe army people. They like the intense action but not 24/7 like in the army. Get why this is popular? You can have all the fun without the crap to deal that the military may be for some.
Indeed it's ironic to see them eating military rations while sleeping in a nice conferrable hotel in the middle of Japan with a nice climate.
While if they joined the military they would have been send on training to places like Norway or Alaska where they would have to sleep in tents while it's minus 20 degrees celsius outside.
Or the would get send to Afghanistan or Iraq to hunt down Taliban fighters in the middle of the desert.
They just want to good parts not the bad parts.
May 16, 2011 1:43 PM

Aug 2008
Geez people complaining about how boring this episode is.
All they want is love and drama and shit.

Tomoe is an awesome side character. And this episode had the wonderful message of trying to do something with your life, especially when you are getting older.. having self doubts about your ambitions plus it gives a deeper insight into the relationship Tomoe has with her colleagues. Though it wasn't executed perfectly (wtf is up with those players), I didn't think it was necessarily bad.
May 16, 2011 1:45 PM

Oct 2010
i think this was one of the best episodes to date, i think this is because it was a generally funny episode.
May 16, 2011 2:18 PM

Apr 2009
Tomoe was awesome, Ohana and Nako were way too Kawaii at the end.
May 16, 2011 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
Nice to see an episode about Tomoe! The whole ordeal with the Survival Gamers was pretty silly, but pretty funny at the same time. Those two saying nee-san to her was indeed really cute! =)

Shit is about to get down next episode. Seems like something's wrong with the landlady. Kouichi seems to be on his way as well! =O

May 16, 2011 3:31 PM

Oct 2010
darkerealm said:
And this episode had the wonderful message of trying to do something with your life, especially when you are getting older.. having self doubts about your ambitions plus it gives a deeper insight into the relationship Tomoe has with her colleagues.
I totally agree with you about the message and I do add that forcing will never work out on one's life changes in fact it may end up a rebellion.

May 16, 2011 5:51 PM

Aug 2008
OMG NEXT WEEEEEK!! KOU-CHAN IS IN THE TRAIN!!!
hahaha, I wonder where he is going 8)

omg, I am soooo excited! a week to go and kyaaaaa!
May 16, 2011 6:32 PM

Jan 2011
Really nice episode. It was great seeing more of Tomoe, and the survival gamers added a lot of humour without ever pushing it.
The comical effect was a byproduct of the main story instead of being forced, which made it all the better. Especially funny when Jiroumaru was getting riddled with pellets in the bath. xD
I'm predicting it won't be long before we get an episode like this on Nako as well, seeing how she's the only one who hasn't gotten one yet.

The best part of the episode was the preview though. I've been looking forward to Ko showing up for a long time now.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
May 16, 2011 9:42 PM
Apr 2010
waiting for the drama....

May 16, 2011 11:06 PM

Dec 2009
This episode spoke to me since I also feel like my life has lost all its youthful energy. And I'm only 18.
;_;
May 16, 2011 11:07 PM

Mar 2010
after the preview from last week this turned out so much better than expected
My Blog: Due2Life

May 16, 2011 11:14 PM

Apr 2008
Loved the episode. No Yuina this week made me sad, but a Noto Mamiko-featured episode more than makes up for it.

I would hate for this show to turn into just another "love triangle" show, the fact that it's a) 26 episodes and b) has so many dynamic characters makes me definitely wish they continue to explore every possible angle of SOL they can, delve into each of the individual characters in a way that suits their personailty (just as this one did quite effectively), from over the top comedy to drama, outrageous situations to serious stuff. The thing about SOL is that it IS versatile and can go from an episode like this weeks, to a "serious" episode like the one that it seems we'll have next week.

If you want another "love triangle" show go rewatch True Tears or something :P
May 17, 2011 3:15 AM

Oct 2008
Loved it. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 17, 2011 3:59 AM

Jan 2010
i thought that Lady was about 30 years old

but talk about marrying . she must be not above 28 xD
May 17, 2011 5:18 AM

May 2008
Absolutely loved it, Tomoe is cool especially with the water assault XD That was really funny~
I hope Kou-chan is indeed coming to visit Ohana in next episode~
May 17, 2011 5:19 AM

Jun 2008
zimno said:

I thought Tomoe=Revy
↓this too

Yeah it had similarity with her at few moments. That makes her awesome actually. I don't know why people have a problem with this episode. Tomoe was awesome. Actually she might be the best character.
Her considerations where also a lot more important than the game of "he loves me he, loves me not" little schoolgirls play and still she handle them with such a fun attitude.
Tomoe rocks.
Fuck the erotic triangles and the stupid shoujo things with Tooru. Besides the first episodes that everyone said where awesome weren't about silly romance drama ether.

Eternal_Shield said:
i thought that Lady was about 30 years old

but talk about marrying . she must be not above 28 xD

WTF??!! Why when you are 30 you suddenly stop having any plans to marry?
What's the big difference between 28 and 30 anyway?
MonadMay 17, 2011 5:25 AM
May 17, 2011 5:26 AM

Aug 2007
Nice ep =]
May 17, 2011 6:04 AM

Jan 2010
OMG OMG OMG KO KO KO KO IS IN THE PREVIEW!!!! I just about jumped out of my seat when I saw him!!! I really really realllllyyyyy can't wait for next weeks ep!!!! This ep was good to cause we got to see an un bitchy Minko and Tomoe a bit more :)

Aka Jacinna can't wait for next weeks episode!!! I have a feeling Ko is just going to appear at the very end of the ep so we won't actually see any Ko-Ohana development til the week afta... Hope Im wrong though!!!
May 17, 2011 3:44 PM

Jul 2010
Tomoe-neesan was killer in this episode!
May 17, 2011 8:26 PM
Apr 2011
This episode really improved my outlook on the the future of this series. Fuck the haters.

darkerealm said:

Completely agree; people seem to be pinning this as some generic shoujo garbage because of the young female lead even though it was quite apparent from the beginning that Hanasaku Iroha will be a light-hearted slice of life for an older audience, not teen girls.
May 17, 2011 8:36 PM

Nov 2010
Epicness, especially those survival soldiers just added great comedy. Tomoe just owned those guys at their own game i salute her.
May 17, 2011 10:57 PM

Jan 2008
Alright...

Mamiko Noto is too fucking good at her job. She needs to use this type of voice way more than her soft/shy one.

It's highly likely that Tomoe will be replacing someone on my favorite characters list by the end of this series.

OKAY BABY, GET SOME!
PanaruMay 17, 2011 11:17 PM
May 18, 2011 12:15 AM

Aug 2010
A really entertaining episode as usual, it was nice seeing Tomoe in the spotlight for a little. 5/5.

Edit: A big hooray for the old ED, I'm glad they used it again.
May 18, 2011 12:27 AM

Jan 2011
kawaiishit said:
This episode really improved my outlook on the the future of this series. Fuck the haters.

darkerealm said:

Completely agree; people seem to be pinning this as some generic shoujo garbage because of the young female lead even though it was quite apparent from the beginning that Hanasaku Iroha will be a light-hearted slice of life for an older audience, not teen girls.

I agree to a point. We're 7 episodes into a 26 episode show and they haven't even gotten all the characters properly introduced yet. People seem to be expecting perfection out of every episode, and anything that isn't the same or better than Ep1-Ep2 is automatically shit.

However, it is a seinen slice-of-life and as such just having comedy won't cut it.
They need to deal with something real to justify that. I'm convinced they will, but people just need to relax and not overhype it.
I think you'll find that once the season is done, the series in it's entirety will be more than satisfactory.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
May 18, 2011 2:14 AM

Dec 2010
kawaiishit said:

Well right now it doesn't realy earn its status as show for an older audience and is probably more like a shoujo. As Vinter said, they can't avoid the more serious topics all the time and that's what most people complained about. You can't realy blame anyone for expecting the quality they got teased with at the beginning and as already said the potential is there.
But I guess the creators themself need to find their pace and still fine tune for the right balance of comedy, slice of life and drama.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

328 by Jax »»
May 5, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

metalsnakezero - Apr 17, 2011

256 by kirA_-_ »»
Apr 22, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.