Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 20, 9:56 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to PaulNamida
@yhagni wait, so they did rush the ending but not that much really?? This ending felt like they skipped whole ass volumes worth of content... Damn, it feels very lacluster for what I was considering to be a true masterpiece. I have nothing against the ending, it just feels too cheap to resolve it all this quickly with a single time travel.

Oh well, still an awesome series, I just feel very underwhelmed by this ending.
@PaulNamida technically it didn't skip anything, but I said it before and this episode proved me-the length and structure of anime made the arc very rushed
Sep 20, 9:58 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to yhagni
No way...I was hoping for a different, maybe better ending from the manga. Instead what we got was confirmation (sort of) that Kadode and Ontan died in timeline 2 but it seems that maybe not and they now have a UFO, capable of crossing space-time boundaries into timeline 3... (edit: now that I think about it, they could also be from other possible timelines that we simply do not know of, though I like to think that they faked their deaths and got the UFO to travel space-time in the future of timeline 2, being the gamers they are)

The adaptation was more or less 1-for-1 except for the 2 foreign dudes which got left out in this final episode and the scenario of Kadode's father meeting Makoto in episode 0 was a little different but otherwise not much had changed significantly.

I guess timeline 2, which we spent most of the season watching (outside of the 2 or 3 episodes dedicated to timeline 1), is literally screwed and no longer have any hope of redemption. Oh, they didn't adapt the USA side of the ending, so I guess the anime had an even more rushed ending...

Honestly a little disappointed with this ending...
@yhagni the disappointment for me is also the fact it was said we'll have an anime original ending and the anime format already didn't fit the feeling the ending wanted
Sep 20, 10:36 AM

Sep 2018
It took a me a while to gather my thoughts about the ending. Would something simpler have been better? Maybe, but after thinking about it I hard disagree with those who think that the ending turned the whole thing from good to trash.

The ending can be boiled down to: the two main characters (almost certainly) died an unceremonious death some time after 8/32, but we'll also show you how thing would have turned out if the alien invasion never happened. They're normal people in a world in ruins, a death so unremarkable that it wasn't even worth showing makes sense; main characters usually have plot armor but that wasn't the case here. Moreover, main characters having anticlimatic deaths is something already done by some of the most highly acclaimed live action series of all time (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've watched them).

The most important things about the final timeline shift, the reasons why it doesn't ruin anything, are:
- the item that makes you change timelines wasn't pulled out of the ass, but something already established before. It is the kind of thing that opens a can of worms, but those who were ok with it before shouldn't have a problem with it now.
- nothing was undone! What happened in the main timeline wasn't deleted or anything. Unlike in the ending of one of the highest rated romance anime of all time which I hate with passion.
- someone might argue that even if technically nothing was undone, what matters is that from the POV of the shifter everything was indeed undone. That's right, but the saving grace here is that the shifter is not one of the main characters so in the end it doesn't matter. Nothing changed for the characters we followed through the whole story.

My final verdict is: 10/10, anime of the decade, favorite sci-fi anime ever alongside Dennou Coil. Dennou Coil has a better plot, but I like DeDeDeDe's characters more so I'm inclined to put it slightly ahead.
NirinboSep 20, 10:48 AM
Sep 20, 11:17 AM

Jun 2017
What a wonderful adaptation this was. I'm so happy it was successful (the score as of 9/20/24 is 7.98!) I hope it encourages Inio-sensei to give the green light for other adaptations, like Solanin and Umibe no Onnanoko. Punpun might be a little tricky, though.
Sep 20, 11:52 AM
Jul 2024
Everyone whining about the ending needs to chill. Maybe it could have used a little more breathing room in the hellscape, but it wasn't a bad ending.

The thing is, our Kadode and Ontan died in the fight. It's not an afterthought, it's just presented after the fact because in episode 0 and in the finale we're experiencing the world through Kadode's father. He gets information as it comes to him. Both he and the shifter were established a long time ago and it's more of a Chekov's Gun situation than coming out of left field for him to use it to go back to his world.

I wouldn't call it a "rushed happy ending" because the happy ending is one we're viewing as a "What if". Which eases the sting of our MCs having worked so hard only to end up dead. But it is one of many universes in a sea of possibilities. It is infinitely recursive. Kadode's dad never could have fixed things if Ontan didn't use the shifter to get to our main universe in the first place, providing knowledge of its existence.

There is an infinite number of realities which exist, some of which have the invasion, some which don't. It's much more complex than just "What the hell is this tacked on happy ending?!"

I feel like if everyone thought about it for a while and let everything sink in they wouldn't be judging it so harshly.
Sep 20, 12:11 PM
Jul 2024
Well, that caught me up on Episode 0, but that alternate timeline with ( almost no invaders) threw me off guard.
Sep 20, 12:20 PM
Jul 2024
Wasn't there supposed to be another episode? WTF???! Anyway, I'll just keep last Episode & the first part of this, unless there is ANOTHER episode. This is why Time Travel Sci Fi usually sucks. Well, not quite as bad as Origami killing her own parents bad, but still it feels like they stole an Epic story & replaced it with a Disney ending.
Sep 20, 1:04 PM

Nov 2023
I'm not a big fan of the ending, I wish we could see more of the main timeline, or is it the second timeline? I don't remember but I wished we could've seen more of the world after the mothership blew up.

Anyway, other than the ending, I thought it was great. It had me glued to my screen.
Sep 20, 2:28 PM
Mar 2015
A very satisfying ending We do live in the best of all possible worlds
Sep 20, 2:28 PM

Jan 2011
Yup this is anime of the year it's very complex but...I will say Kaode shouldn't with the teacher. She is legit hiding her feelings but it's still a really good ending.

Edit: Big thank you to the manga readers filling in the gaps. So this ending is an a anime original ending that is a what if when what we saw in episode 0 is the true reality. I like that it gives you different realities it's a big balance act. I'm happy it turned out well.
MasterHavikSep 20, 2:32 PM
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 20, 2:36 PM
May 2023
lilian78 said:
i have mixing feeling about this episode... I feel disappointed but not really...

I get you. It’s kinda like “and then he woke up” . That to me is the most middle school thing I’ve ever seen
Sep 20, 2:47 PM
Apr 2015
this is like having a teen drama series mixed with a political drama...and then dropping the political drama in the last ~2 episodes. which is weird since the political drama was the only part of the story with stakes. like...why didn't anyone use the time machine during that time skip? The father shouldn't have mattered at all yet his arrival caused the plot to move? I guess I learned that if my friends will die then I should betray all of humanity...having a time machine helps
Sep 20, 3:34 PM
Feb 2018
I hated it. It has everything that is wrong with science fiction storytelling.
Sep 20, 3:44 PM

Mar 2009
What's the point of complex world building when you fix everything with the most basic deus ex machina.
Either author of the manga got deadline to wrap things up or he ran out of ideas.

Sep 20, 6:20 PM

Mar 2019
Not the greatest ending.... but at least not dissapointing like 75% of series nowadays... I liked it.

In General a 9.9/10.0 series for me.

Hope to see more of DeDeDeDe universe and more from Inio Asano.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Sep 20, 7:01 PM
Jan 2022
this anime would benefit from an OVA or two showing the fate of our girls in their timeline. This ending obviously implies that the girls were watching the ones in the new dimension using a device but, then it is up to the watcher to assume that at some point Makoto ran into the girls and told them about Kadode's father and what he did, and they followed to see the outcome. But I would have been greate to see all that and see what they're doing now, especially since there was even a kiss
Sep 20, 7:50 PM
Feb 2024
So the World is saved and everyone gets to live a normal life, I actually enjoyed the last episode quite a bit compared to some of the other viewers here however, I still have to say it's a bad ending because Kadode got with Watarase and she deserves so much better than him. I mean come on, Ontan is right there!
Sep 20, 9:18 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
NOTE: You MUST watch episode 0 before watching this one.

Ah, so we finally pick up from where we started back in episode 0 with Nobuo and Makoto. So yeah, was pretty much confirmed that at the very least, the GOAT himself Ooba risked his life til the very end to save the planet. And the mechas have pretty much all but taken over the world, it seems. Sick ass mecha fights btw, might I add.

But yeah, this post "destruction" of earth is worse than I thought. I had completely forgotten how bad it was in episode 0, but seeing it here now... yikes. And AHHH MY GOAT OOBA LIVED!!! HELL YEAH. That reunion with him and Makoto was so sweet. But nothing was more sweeter than seeing Kadode again... and with his pops again. W dad for giving Kadode the push to become friend with Ontan quicker.

Which all in the end led to the girl herself KADODE MAKING HER MANGA... is what I'd like to say, but she got rejected hella quick lol. Worst part of this future though is that Kadode sadly got together with Naoki... sigh. But yeah, the future is nice and all, with the world actually, you know, existing lol, but the best part about it, HIROSHI IS SKINNY NOW!!! HELL YEAH! Nice to see that Ontan hasn't changed much now as well lol. "Just flash your boobs" - Future Ontan.

And in the end, they finally ended up remaining by their sides... <3

I'm 100% certain that this is the final episode, and if it was, what a fucking ride this has been. Did feel a bit underwhelming and rushed, but nothing TOO shit to ruin the entire series. These past seventeen weeks of straight PEAK cinema will be something I'll remember and cherish for a while.

One big thank you to the team behind this, and one big ol' FUCK YOU to Crunchyroll for fucking up the release of this and killing almost all the hype.

The Kami Isobeyan/10
@IzanaSolos oh lol i watched the ep 17 first and was confused for the whole time
Sep 20, 9:57 PM

Nov 2012
So they never meet Makoto? That sucks.
Sep 21, 1:11 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Animorphimagi
this is like having a teen drama series mixed with a political drama...and then dropping the political drama in the last ~2 episodes. which is weird since the political drama was the only part of the story with stakes. like...why didn't anyone use the time machine during that time skip? The father shouldn't have mattered at all yet his arrival caused the plot to move? I guess I learned that if my friends will die then I should betray all of humanity...having a time machine helps
@Animorphimagi since it's not a time machine, it's a timeline hopping and Makoto said it-it is their world, they won't fit in another universe
Sep 21, 1:18 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Nirinbo
It took a me a while to gather my thoughts about the ending. Would something simpler have been better? Maybe, but after thinking about it I hard disagree with those who think that the ending turned the whole thing from good to trash.

The ending can be boiled down to: the two main characters (almost certainly) died an unceremonious death some time after 8/32, but we'll also show you how thing would have turned out if the alien invasion never happened. They're normal people in a world in ruins, a death so unremarkable that it wasn't even worth showing makes sense; main characters usually have plot armor but that wasn't the case here. Moreover, main characters having anticlimatic deaths is something already done by some of the most highly acclaimed live action series of all time (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've watched them).

The most important things about the final timeline shift, the reasons why it doesn't ruin anything, are:
- the item that makes you change timelines wasn't pulled out of the ass, but something already established before. It is the kind of thing that opens a can of worms, but those who were ok with it before shouldn't have a problem with it now.
- nothing was undone! What happened in the main timeline wasn't deleted or anything. Unlike in the ending of one of the highest rated romance anime of all time which I hate with passion.
- someone might argue that even if technically nothing was undone, what matters is that from the POV of the shifter everything was indeed undone. That's right, but the saving grace here is that the shifter is not one of the main characters so in the end it doesn't matter. Nothing changed for the characters we followed through the whole story.

My final verdict is: 10/10, anime of the decade, favorite sci-fi anime ever alongside Dennou Coil. Dennou Coil has a better plot, but I like DeDeDeDe's characters more so I'm inclined to put it slightly ahead.
@Nirinbo exactly! There are many things wrong with the episode but it isn't a deus ex machina that makes everything before worthless and as time went on after my first read I've come to appreciate the timeline shift as a bold and interesting ending even if it's not perfect
Sep 21, 1:22 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to MasterHavik
Yup this is anime of the year it's very complex but...I will say Kaode shouldn't with the teacher. She is legit hiding her feelings but it's still a really good ending.

Edit: Big thank you to the manga readers filling in the gaps. So this ending is an a anime original ending that is a what if when what we saw in episode 0 is the true reality. I like that it gives you different realities it's a big balance act. I'm happy it turned out well.
@MasterHavik say this is the manga ending, it's just that crunchyroll said there will be an anime original ending and ep16 was quite different from the manga

And yes Kadode needs to get away from that teacher
Sep 21, 2:44 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to Guilmon1
@MasterHavik say this is the manga ending, it's just that crunchyroll said there will be an anime original ending and ep16 was quite different from the manga

And yes Kadode needs to get away from that teacher
@Guilmon1 Ah okay that is why some are saying that. Also Kadode is so in the closet it's so obvious at this point who she is really in love with but eh we got it confirmed in one timeline they're a ship so I'll count this.
Sep 21, 7:22 AM

Aug 2019
Just a quick side note, watch episode 0 before this last episode. I was pretty confused at the start, but episode 0 takes place right before this episode. I decided to skip episode 0 from the start when I heard it adapts the last few chapters on the manga, and thought I'd save it for the end, but nope, watching just before this episode would be best. I'm kind of glad I didn't watch episode 0 first, I think it works MUCH better this way than if I had started with it.

Also, this is the last episode!? I was so sure we were getting one more after this one!

So that last universe/timeline as just completely screwed. The Oran and Kadode we've been with from the start died, and the world wasn't going to improve :'(

Wish we saw those government asshole get blown up lol

It's pretty fucked, but at least Kadode and Oran lived in another universe and weren't invaded.

I'm really sad that Oran and Kadode didn't get together though! Especially after their kiss last episode!

Overall, pretty great series! I'm really sad it's over now though, it's easily the anime of the year for me. Like it's not even close, no other show from this year has kept me this invested and excited for the next episode. It definitely wasn't perfect, but it was still great! It's like an 8 or a 9 for me, but leaning more towards 8 I think
Sep 21, 7:24 AM

Aug 2019
Reply to Marinate1016
Man I didn’t expect to come into this and it be the final episode 😭 nah I refuse to believe that’s the end of the story.

3 months of build up to the nuke, it hits then we just get one post apocalyptic episode? I know it was a bleak world but I wanted to see what was going on in the world a little longer. Little more of Kenichi’s plans, whatever Ontan and Kadode were doing(looks like time travelling). I guess the focus was more on the journey rather than the destination, but I found myself a little disappointed with this ending

I think we all knew things were going to be resolved via time travel, but I didn’t think it would be the very next episode. This is also where episode 0 should’ve aired, between episode 16 and 17 and it would’ve given the finale even more emotional impact instead of having it air 3 months early.. Nobuo seeing all of Kadode and Ontan memories was also wild. That must’ve been extremely overwhelming.

“If I get fat that’ll be the end of the world” lmaooo man let me find out the world went to shit because Hiroshi couldn’t put the twinkies down. 😂 it’s great seeing a world where everyone survives and grows up to lead a fulfilling life. Kiho being alive and happy really makes me feel good.

I guess Kadode and pedo sensei just destined to be whatever which is .. well whatever, I am digging Kadode’s hairstyle in the timeskip she’s so cute! Ontan making big moves in the tech industry and still staying the silly girl she’s always been.. kinda sad to think she doesn’t have oba in this reality, but as long as she’s got Kadode she’ll be fine. Speaking of which, guessing the Ontan voice we hear when the isobeyan manga shows up is the Kadode and Ontan from the last timeline? Starting to get more confusing than marvel lol.

Overall, loved the show one of the best sci fi stories in the medium. Incredible writing and drama and a nice friendship at the center of it. Really the only issue I had with it was the episode 0 placement and it ending too soon, but better to end a little soon than overstay your welcome I guess. I’ll miss this, and shoutout to Ano for an amazing job in her first role
@Marinate1016 I was so sure we'd get some post-apocalyptic episode, because yeah that was a lot of build up, but then it just didn't happen. So much build up leading to the mothership falling and the fall out, and we didn't really see much of it. I was so sure we'd get at least one episode but nope. It is a bit disappointing, but oh well, still enjoyed the episode nonetheless.
Sep 21, 7:43 AM

Aug 2019
Reply to dragynfaerie
So they never meet Makoto? That sucks.
@dragynfaerie Dude omg I didn't even think of that. That really sucks :'(

@MasterHavik Kadode needs to get away from that teacher lol she's clearly not happy. Sucks that she ended up moving in with the teacher after her kiss with Oran last episode

Also I just realized, wtf happened with the US, or even the rest of the world? There was so much build up with the US being a threat and the whole world getting screwed by the fallout, and then we didn't even see any of it lol
Sep 21, 7:48 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to MasterHavik
@Guilmon1 Ah okay that is why some are saying that. Also Kadode is so in the closet it's so obvious at this point who she is really in love with but eh we got it confirmed in one timeline they're a ship so I'll count this.
@MasterHavik I honestly feel like them being in a romantic relationship will be strange considering how important friendship is as a theme to the story but every good anime has some form of LGBTQ undertone so I won't be surprised (oh and in the new timeline it's absolutely canon they have a crush on each other in the anime version)
Sep 21, 10:42 AM
Mar 2023
bro im so confsued right now
Sep 21, 10:46 AM
May 2016
Wow so much negativity, all based on misunderstanding the story IMO. First of all as someone above pointed out, this show is heavily inspired by Doraemon (if you couldn't tell from this show's manga Isobeyan, an obvious take on Doraemon even copying the art style), and so you have to know something about Doraemon to understand this show. <spoilers for Doraemon> Doraemon is a cat from the future who comes to the present and uses his futuristic gadgets to help the mc and his friends solve their problems. It ends with him returning to the future with the kids grown up and no longer needing his gadgets to help them. Of course in this show the invader scout is "Doraemon" as shown when they disguise him in the Isobeyan costume, unfortunately using his futuristic gadgets first leads to Kaede accidentally killing innocent people and then committing suicide over the guilt, and Ouran then causing the invasion and destruction of Earth by going back in time in the time machine (all Doraemon gadgets btw) to save Kaede, which eventually leads to the deaths of most of their family and friends and eventually them (or did it?) as the mecha pilots. (was I the only one who realized they were supposed to be the pilots, using the hand signals from earlier episodes?) Note everyone who uses the gadgets leads to a result they didn't want (after Kaede used it, the crazy kid using the cloak "this isn't the future I foresaw", and Oba trying to stop the ship's destruction instead causing it to explode).
Rewatching ep 0 really helped as it starts with the dad, who hates his job and can't even tell the young mangaka he is fired and on the cab ride home wishing for an easy out by thinking "maybe the world will end and I won't have to". Of course it's a "be careful what you wish for" moment as the world does end as this is the world after Oran goes back in time to save Kaede and causes the invasion. This starts the show's theme of easy outs from technology, etc. aren't what help us get through life but friends and family. Unlike the others when he goes back in time his solution is to just get Kaede to be friends with Oran sooner (and one would assume a better dad), which leads to the "happy" ending. No one is dead, yeah life is still mundane and sucks, Kaede still dates her teacher, but they are all still alive and able to endure it because of their friends.
Also everyone complaining these aren't "our" Oran and Kaede but we did get Kaede seeing the "UFO" and them hearing their own voices saying "Don't get too close Ontan you'll destroy space time" (or something like that), and the thing in the sky zipping away. Which I think was a little wink to the audience that "our" Ouran and Kaede are still around and watching things. Answering the question asked minutes earlier "What would you do if you could freely fly the skies?" They even leave a copy of the Isobeyan manga, which remember doesn't exist in this world.

Also I really liked the music in this, ano did a great job singing and doing Ouran's voice.
MenchiK1Sep 21, 11:00 AM
Sep 21, 11:44 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to rinnmakesmusic
There is not nearly the same amount of exposition for this latter-half of the series as there is in the manga. As frustrating as it is, considering this was released in Japan as a 2-part ONA I can understand the limitations.

Nonetheless I’m stunned at how well this show was adapted. I was afraid that any Inio Asano anime adaptation was bound to be doomed from the start because of his complex way of writing stories. Much like Urasawa, Asano-sensei demonstrates his writing capabilities through subtlety, which is seemingly impossible to translate into seinen anime adaptions given the historical track record of seinen anime, usually sorely lacking in that department. This show has changed my perspective on those possibilities. Might just be biased because of how much I adore this manga as well as Asano-sensei’s works, but either way this show is fantastic. I’m wholly satisfied by it, to say the least.

Just in case anyone is wondering, this whole concept of Nobuo now being the one to go back in time is a sort-of nod to shows and films with an concept of infinite and overlapping timelines. For my film-lovers, think Looper! For my animanga lovers, think Shinra from Fire Force! Essentially, with the shifter, our characters could theoretically jump to as many different timelines as needed in order to satisfy their personal desire for the world they want to live in.

IIRC, it’s very quietly implied (in the manga) that Oran and Kadode died following August 32nd in the main timeline we follow throughout the majority of the story. Just for anyone wondering, because it felt like the show more or less glossed over it.
@rinnmakesmusic I’m actually disappointed the anime adaptation added in the mech opening scene that heavily implies “our” Kadode’s & Ontan’s deaths. I liked to believe that the Kadode/Ontan in the timeline we’ve been following had actually lived, especially in the scene where the mechs (implied to be the two) are safely out of Ocean’s green ray. I thought they survived to be able to use the perfected time shift technology and became timeline guardians of sorts, which would be their disembodied voices talking to the 3rd timeline versions of themselves on the roof and dropping off the copy of Isobeyan. If anything it makes the ending scene much more confusing as Ontan specifically says “Hanyanya Fuwah,” which is what Ontan said in the 1st timeline upon seeing the UFO and a fragment of her jumbled memories that turned into a catchphrase in the 2nd timeline. I thought this was the indicator to show that we are following 1st Timeline Ontan, but I according to the anime now it’s just something she says? Maybe the scene in the anime is now contextualized to be a sort-of meta commentary between the characters of the manga and the anime, but for now I’m still confused.

Overall I think the anime was perfect (I understand EP 0 was placed to keep a general audience hooked) up until the end. If this truly is the “original ending” that was being talked about, I think it subtracted much more important content and added things to the story that were unnecessary or straight up changed the ending. Personally I still prefer the manga, and I was really hoping for at least a bit more into the lives of Kadode/Ontan in their 8/32 war arc.
torentenSep 21, 12:15 PM
Sep 21, 11:53 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to MenchiK1
Wow so much negativity, all based on misunderstanding the story IMO. First of all as someone above pointed out, this show is heavily inspired by Doraemon (if you couldn't tell from this show's manga Isobeyan, an obvious take on Doraemon even copying the art style), and so you have to know something about Doraemon to understand this show. <spoilers for Doraemon> Doraemon is a cat from the future who comes to the present and uses his futuristic gadgets to help the mc and his friends solve their problems. It ends with him returning to the future with the kids grown up and no longer needing his gadgets to help them. Of course in this show the invader scout is "Doraemon" as shown when they disguise him in the Isobeyan costume, unfortunately using his futuristic gadgets first leads to Kaede accidentally killing innocent people and then committing suicide over the guilt, and Ouran then causing the invasion and destruction of Earth by going back in time in the time machine (all Doraemon gadgets btw) to save Kaede, which eventually leads to the deaths of most of their family and friends and eventually them (or did it?) as the mecha pilots. (was I the only one who realized they were supposed to be the pilots, using the hand signals from earlier episodes?) Note everyone who uses the gadgets leads to a result they didn't want (after Kaede used it, the crazy kid using the cloak "this isn't the future I foresaw", and Oba trying to stop the ship's destruction instead causing it to explode).
Rewatching ep 0 really helped as it starts with the dad, who hates his job and can't even tell the young mangaka he is fired and on the cab ride home wishing for an easy out by thinking "maybe the world will end and I won't have to". Of course it's a "be careful what you wish for" moment as the world does end as this is the world after Oran goes back in time to save Kaede and causes the invasion. This starts the show's theme of easy outs from technology, etc. aren't what help us get through life but friends and family. Unlike the others when he goes back in time his solution is to just get Kaede to be friends with Oran sooner (and one would assume a better dad), which leads to the "happy" ending. No one is dead, yeah life is still mundane and sucks, Kaede still dates her teacher, but they are all still alive and able to endure it because of their friends.
Also everyone complaining these aren't "our" Oran and Kaede but we did get Kaede seeing the "UFO" and them hearing their own voices saying "Don't get too close Ontan you'll destroy space time" (or something like that), and the thing in the sky zipping away. Which I think was a little wink to the audience that "our" Ouran and Kaede are still around and watching things. Answering the question asked minutes earlier "What would you do if you could freely fly the skies?" They even leave a copy of the Isobeyan manga, which remember doesn't exist in this world.

Also I really liked the music in this, ano did a great job singing and doing Ouran's voice.
@MenchiK1 as someone who hasn't read doreamon except for the first and last chapters (last as in the unofficial ending where Doreamon leaves and Nobita learns physics to meet him again since that ending inspired the manga) it's very interesting to see it, the way the manga is inspired by Doreamon always interested me and seeing how someone more familiar with Doreamon having more takes about the relation to dead dead demon's

And yes, while some criticisms have a point and I agree the execution wasn't perfect how it relates to the themes of friendship and bonds is one of the best, and seeing people hating how they don't see Kadode and Ontan is a proof of the ending being successful at showing it's point, I read the manga twice and honestly never thought about how Ontan and Kadode coming there answers the question of what would you do if you could fly in the sky (maybe since the manga doesn't connect their appearance to the sky) and knowing how the manga showed that in the new universe Kadode and Ontan aren't as close (she doesn't even call her by her nickname) it makes it even more powerful, thanks for the interesting observations! The ending is really one that the more you think about the better it is
Sep 21, 11:56 AM
May 2023
n curti esse episodio cara.
Sep 21, 11:57 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to MenchiK1

@MenchiK1 The identity of “our” heroines was kept a bit more streamlined in the manga, which explicitly shows the mech pilots implied to be Kadode and Ouran surviving Ocean’s beam. This makes the little wink at the end to “our” Kadode and Ouran much more obvious and satisfying as a reader, as it’s heavily implied they live and they are the same people with Ouran’s “Hanyanya Fuwah” catchphrase and the copy of Isobeyan.

However in the anime when the soldier at the time shifter is saying he thought Oba’s friends were dead, it cuts back to an anime original scene of the mech being opened where it shows a figure that looks very similar to Ouran (mouth and pigtails). Unless the series is trying to bait us, I saw this scene as a heavily implied confirmation that “our” Ouran, and by extension Kadode, died in the mechs in this timeline. This not only makes the anime ending less satisfying, as it may or may not be them, but also more confusing if Ouran’s catchphrase is more of a reference instead of confirmation that they are the ones we’ve followed.

I personally like the manga’s ending more because I can see “our” Kadode and Ouran as the disembodied voices preventing 3rd timeline’s invasion from happening, while the anime ending implies things that make the ending more confusing (and IMO a worse fate for “our” heroines) as a result.
Sep 21, 1:08 PM
Sep 2009
That little nod to Doraemon at the end was nice.
Just my two cents but could it be that the dad being there for his daughter and oran and kadode becoming good friends much earlier changed the way kadode handled the invader scout’s gadgets? I believe they still encountered the scout but later on got their memories erased. Of course the scout concluded that earth was okay and it didn’t get destroyed. That might be one theory. But it’s lacking since I don’t get why there is no Isobeyan in this timeline.
Sep 21, 1:56 PM

Dec 2016
1: watched ep 0 as the first episode;
2: very interpretative and ambiguous ending, they could be alive and the green light and hananya fuwa being a casual message for the viewers that they were watching and aware, watching/communicating from another dimension... whats most likely what happened.
Squealer: My kind are neither slaves nor beasts.
Judge: If you’re not beasts, then what are you?
Squealer: WE ARE HUMANS!!!

Watashitachi wa ningen da!!!
Sep 21, 2:28 PM
Jul 2024
torenten said:
@MenchiK1 The identity of “our” heroines was kept a bit more streamlined in the manga, which explicitly shows the mech pilots implied to be Kadode and Ouran surviving Ocean’s beam. This makes the little wink at the end to “our” Kadode and Ouran much more obvious and satisfying as a reader, as it’s heavily implied they live and they are the same people with Ouran’s “Hanyanya Fuwah” catchphrase and the copy of Isobeyan.

However in the anime when the soldier at the time shifter is saying he thought Oba’s friends were dead, it cuts back to an anime original scene of the mech being opened where it shows a figure that looks very similar to Ouran (mouth and pigtails). Unless the series is trying to bait us, I saw this scene as a heavily implied confirmation that “our” Ouran, and by extension Kadode, died in the mechs in this timeline. This not only makes the anime ending less satisfying, as it may or may not be them, but also more confusing if Ouran’s catchphrase is more of a reference instead of confirmation that they are the ones we’ve followed.

I personally like the manga’s ending more because I can see “our” Kadode and Ouran as the disembodied voices preventing 3rd timeline’s invasion from happening, while the anime ending implies things that make the ending more confusing (and IMO a worse fate for “our” heroines) as a result.

Oh wow, that's much happier. Personally I didn't mind the darker ending (the whole show has this slow burn gloom heading towards disaster anyway), but knowing that they live on as sort of timeline guardians is much cooler. 😎
Sep 21, 2:40 PM
May 2016
BTW if you wanted to keep track in the original timeline Kaede wears yellow glasses, in the invasion timeline "our" Kaede (the one introduced in ep 0 and 1) wears red glasses and in the new "happy" timeline in ep 17 Kaede wears green glasses. If you think about it because the dad makes them befriend each other sooner nothing we saw happens to yellow glasses Kaede and Ontan and therefore, "our" red glasses Kaede and Ontan should never exist either but since they dropped off the manga we know they do and therefore so do the originals as they wouldn't exist without them. So don't worry if you liked one better than the others as they are all still around.
Sep 21, 2:57 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Blindfight
torenten said:

Oh wow, that's much happier. Personally I didn't mind the darker ending (the whole show has this slow burn gloom heading towards disaster anyway), but knowing that they live on as sort of timeline guardians is much cooler. 😎
@Blindfight I could be pulling this straight out of my ass but after re-reading, re-watching, thinking about the series more, I feel like the anime ending could serve as meta commentary on it being an adaptation.

I haven’t read Doraemon yet, but I know DeDeDeDe borrows heavily from it and is essentially the adult version of it. In not only parodying it in-universe but also heavily drawing the themes/characters from it into DeDeDeDe, it’s safe to assume the story has many explicit parallels to Doraemon. What was explained to me is that Doraemon has a fake out ending in its 7th volume, where the story wraps up and have characters grow, only for Doraemon to return because it’s an ongoing manga series (it ended with the author’s death in its 45th volume). I bring this up to draw parallels between the differences in the manga and anime. In the manga, “our” Kadode and Ouran are implied live to become time guardians to prevent invasions happening in other timelines, such as the 3rd timeline. In the anime, “our” Kadode and Ouran die but there is still another version of the two that interact with the 3rd timeline. What I personally believe is that the anime adaptation is a DIFFERENT timeline that plays out extremely similar to the one in the manga but slightly different (in the form of the anime original changes). While we don’t know how drastically timelines differ, I think it’s safe to assume timelines can be pretty similar seeing as to how 1st Ouran jumped to the 2nd world that was almost the same, still containing things like Isobeyan. What I’d like to believe in is that the 3rd timeline we see is the exact same one in both the anime and manga, and that in both the voices being heard are the 2nd timeline Kadode and Ouran (aka “our” heroines) from the MANGA specifically. The adaptation chooses to make slight but impactful differences due to the nature of show production, which is then incorporated into the series as a small plot element. To summarize: anime takes place in a very similar but different timeline, the disembodied voices heard in the 3rd timeline are actually the Kadode and Ouran from the manga that still live and still have their off-screen “ongoing series” in the form of being the timekeepers (which would fulfill their childhood wish of being justice keepers).

I could be entirely wrong, but if Inio Asano intended to make use of the adaptation to expand into another timeline, it is one of the most ingenious things I have ever seen. It would also tie into the parallel of Doraemon’s never ending story, constantly being expanded upon and retold.
Sep 21, 6:19 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to Guilmon1
@yhagni the disappointment for me is also the fact it was said we'll have an anime original ending and the anime format already didn't fit the feeling the ending wanted
@Guilmon1 The original ending is for the movies, the anime got the manga's ending.
you weren't lied, you just assumed things.
Sep 21, 10:42 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Sasuke149
That little nod to Doraemon at the end was nice.
Just my two cents but could it be that the dad being there for his daughter and oran and kadode becoming good friends much earlier changed the way kadode handled the invader scout’s gadgets? I believe they still encountered the scout but later on got their memories erased. Of course the scout concluded that earth was okay and it didn’t get destroyed. That might be one theory. But it’s lacking since I don’t get why there is no Isobeyan in this timeline.
@Sasuke149 the manga heavily implies Isobeyan was written by an invader (I saw someone who said Isobeyan can be read as I am an invader)
Sep 21, 10:50 PM
Mar 2021
Primeiramente, eu assisti esse episodio inteiro pensando que tinha mais 1 na próxima semana, então imaginei como eles finalizariam o anime apresentando mais 1 linha do tempo restando so dois EPs LOL. E pra minha decepção eles acabaram nesse final sem graça...

Não sei se é porque não estou acostumado com as obras desse autor, mas essa foi uma maneira preguiçosa de acabar uma serie. Ele basicamente passou a bola pra nós e disse ``muito bem, imagina o restante da historia ai´´. Também tem a possibilidade da staff não ter tempo o suficiente pra finalizar da forma que queria, e por isso eu não os culpo

Porém isso ficou bastante em aberto, mas não me afetou muito pois não coloquei expectativas altas
Sep 22, 1:45 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to Guilmon1
@MasterHavik I honestly feel like them being in a romantic relationship will be strange considering how important friendship is as a theme to the story but every good anime has some form of LGBTQ undertone so I won't be surprised (oh and in the new timeline it's absolutely canon they have a crush on each other in the anime version)
@Guilmon1 I understand friendship but not a lot of friends kiss and then hold hands while awaiting their fate.
Sep 22, 1:46 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to Alkimia
@dragynfaerie Dude omg I didn't even think of that. That really sucks :'(

@MasterHavik Kadode needs to get away from that teacher lol she's clearly not happy. Sucks that she ended up moving in with the teacher after her kiss with Oran last episode

Also I just realized, wtf happened with the US, or even the rest of the world? There was so much build up with the US being a threat and the whole world getting screwed by the fallout, and then we didn't even see any of it lol
@Alkimia That's due to the timelines and how they work. It's complex but I consider basically what I wanted form Bioshock Infinite if you have played that game before.

I am not too upset at this as they made clear there are different timelines.
Sep 22, 6:58 AM

Jul 2014
I feel like after the dramatic ending to episode 16, these final two episodes (this and 0) haven't really been all that satisfying as an ending. The core beats for a satisfying ending are there, for sure, but it feels like it all happens too quickly for any of it to sink in quite as intended. We barely spend any time in the post-apocalypse and most of that time is just exposition (all of which is basically redundant as we don't spend enough time in the post-apocalypse for any of it to have any impact on the wider plot), and after that it's a mad rush for a happy ending. It feels like it really needs another episode in this final stretch to improve the pacing and allow the happy ending to really land, such as by explaining how this new timeline ended up without invaders and how Kadode and Oran survived in timeline 2 to warp into timeline 3 at the end (as we saw what was clearly one of their corpses in the Fujin Demon mech they piloted and that Ocean attacked for some reason).

All in all, a truly excellent series that is held back ever-so-slightly by a rushed, somewhat unsatisfying ending to it all.

9/10
AtavisticSep 22, 7:07 AM
Sep 22, 7:20 AM
Jan 2022
all the Doraemon reference was so crazy in this ep ... but all well that ends well I guess ...such a nice ep to end this phenomenal series really one of the best series that came out in this spring but checked the manga and this is definitely the end and no hopes for season 2 that really makes me sad I want more ....
Sep 22, 8:01 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to c4rpet5
In the final timeline (this episode), was there a specific reason the aliens didn't return to earth as they did in the previous timelines?
@c4rpet5 my theory is that the father (of kadode) somehow caused kadode and ontan to meet the invader (investigator) and caused the events to play out the same way as it did in the bad timeline. But he might have raised kadode in a better way, be more involved in her life so that she does not become emo. The ending kinda hints that her relationship with her father is way better than that of main timeline or the bad timeline. So the investigator like in the bad timeline says that the earth is inhabitable and kadode also does not commit suicide.
Sep 22, 9:50 AM

Apr 2015
Well I have mixed feelings about the rush end. But after check the manga from the point the alien ufo explode it was pretty much told on episode 0 and 17 so there isn't that much to tell, aside from a correct order of the events.

Well it was cool journey with some great high points.
Sep 22, 2:01 PM
Dec 2020
lame ending 7/10 series overall tho
Sep 22, 5:54 PM

Feb 2010
I’m sorry what? That’s it? I really loved this show and was expecting some kind of crazy awesome ending. Everything is just okay? The aliens never happened in this new timeline??? Why?? We never get to know if they were still alive in the old one?
I have so many questions 😭I really did not like this ending. I had so many fun theories on how everything was going to be stopped and how the aliens and humans were going to build a new world or something.
Just random happy ever after? I’m glad everything went well for them but that was just too easy and I feel like they kinda forgot about all the crazy stuff happening in the last episodes.
Man I don’t know how to feel about the ending. I feel so disappointed.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Sep 22, 7:25 PM

Aug 2015
That was anticlimactic. This is the kind of ending you make when you write yourself into a corner. I was having a blast with this show, but this finale was really disappointing.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction (ONA) Episode 14 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 29

24 by AkiFosu »»
Yesterday, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction (ONA) Episode 12 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 15

32 by AkiFosu »»
Oct 17, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction (ONA) Episode 10 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 1

35 by AkiFosu »»
Oct 16, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction (ONA) Episode 9 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jul 25

44 by AkiFosu »»
Oct 15, 7:14 PM

Poll: » Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction (ONA) Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jul 18

46 by AkiFosu »»
Oct 15, 11:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.