Forum Settings
Forums

Does anybody feel like the quality of what people consider a "great" anime has gone down as of late?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 30, 2022 11:10 AM

May 2020
there were so many far worse, far higher rated shows from 2022 that you could have used as an example

( Spy x family, ousuma, kaguya) but u choose the one show that is created to be entertainment not "great" lol

way to miss the goal posts
Aug 30, 2022 11:18 AM

Sep 2020
@Sara_Isayama that was such a fun video to watch, thanks! I had no idea Mamoru Oshii was still active. Watching so many familiar names talk about animation was weird, but in a good way. And yeah, I have looked at a few images from the art book before, and they look amazing. It's one of many art books and relatively expensive manga (looking at you, Blame!) that I'm looking to buy once I have enough saved up.

Sara_Isayama said:
Like literally every frame of the movie is this well-detailed. And the whole movie is made up thousands of individual pieces of art like this. Like that scene where she's chasing the hacker guy and finally catches up with him in the shallow water? Looking at the level of detail of all the tiny details of things as simple as the discoloration on the concrete? It just shows you how much detail and care and effort they put into it. People just don't make anime like that anymore.
Of all the anime I have watched, GiTS was the one that floored me with its painstaking mimicry of realism. And it's not just the visuals either, the music, direction, mechanical design, script, etc. belong to a different league.

Apparently people didn't think the manga could be adapted, due to the high level of detail that's in it, but Production I.G did an amazing job
Haven't read the manga yet, but it seemed to me like they had their own vision for the anime. The manga, while brimming with little details, strikes me as... well, manga-esque. The anime seems to closely resemble a live-action film - the detailing was off the charts.
Aug 30, 2022 11:24 AM
Feb 2017
CickNipolla said:
there were so many far worse, far higher rated shows from 2022 that you could have used as an example

( Spy x family, ousuma, kaguya) but u choose the one show that is created to be entertainment not "great" lol

No OP is partially right. Lycoris Recoil is pathetically mediocre and should not be ranked that high. Spy x Family very easily clears that yuri-bait with shallow world building and cliche waifu bait. Hence why SxF is rated far far higher than Mid Recoil.

However I will say to OP that GitS is not very good, hence why it’s not rated that high.
Aug 30, 2022 11:26 AM

May 2020
MegaStride said:
CickNipolla said:

No OP is partially right. Lycoris Recoil is pathetically mediocre and should not be ranked that high. Spy x Family very easily clears that yuri-bait with shallow world building. Hence why SxF is rated far far higher than Mid Recoil.

However I will say to OP that GitS is not very good, hence why it’s not rated that high.

spy x family has no plot progression or character development past episode 2. it is mostly filler. it genuinely can not be considered real anime
Aug 30, 2022 11:27 AM

Mar 2015
elnino02 said:
Of all the anime I have watched, GiTS was the one that floored me with its painstaking mimicry of realism. And it's not just the visuals either, the music, direction, mechanical design, script, etc. belong to a different league.

Same. I mean look at the detail in this screenshot; all those little stains on the concrete, the trash, the markings on the walls, the city in the background: it's really incredible.

elnino02 said:
Haven't read the manga yet, but it seemed to me like they had their own vision for the anime. The manga, while brimming with little details, strikes me as... well, manga-esque. The anime seems to closely resemble a live-action film - the detailing was off the charts.

I hadn't read the original manga for a long time either. Finally for the holidays my roommate got me the delux box set of all three volumes of GitS, 1.5, and GitS 2 manga, and I recently just finished the first, original manga. I highly recommend it. It's not quite the same feel as the Mamoru Oshii film, (in a lot of ways the tone is closer to Stand Alone Complex), but what's really interesting is seeing how the movie tied all these different elements from the manga together into one story. You see little bits of the movie here and there when reading it, and by the time I got the the final chapters, I was really glad I read it. It is a great book. I can really see why it's considered alongside books like Dune and Neuromancer as being one of the most influential sci-fi books of the last 100 years. It's definitely worth reading. Like I said I put it off for a long time but I'm really glad I read it. And am working through 1.5 now.
Sara_IsayamaAug 30, 2022 12:02 PM
Aug 30, 2022 11:29 AM
Feb 2017
CickNipolla said:
MegaStride said:

No OP is partially right. Lycoris Recoil is pathetically mediocre and should not be ranked that high. Spy x Family very easily clears that yuri-bait with shallow world building. Hence why SxF is rated far far higher than Mid Recoil.

spy x family has no plot progression or character development past episode 2. it is mostly filler. it genuinely can not be considered real anime

It’s a comedy SoL and there is most definitely character development all throughout. Calling canon content “filler” is a new level of unintelligent.
Aug 30, 2022 11:32 AM

May 2020
MegaStride said:
CickNipolla said:

It’s a comedy SoL and there is most definitely character development all throughout. Calling canon content “filler” is a new level of unintelligent.

its wild that firsr sentence literally explains what lycoris recoil is. i baited u into contradicting ur claims on lycoris recoil so easily lol
Aug 30, 2022 11:36 AM
Aug 2022
MegaStride said:
CickNipolla said:

Actually it's family dramedy with some elements of SoL, but it's not truly a SoL anime.
Aug 30, 2022 11:42 AM
Feb 2017
CickNipolla said:
MegaStride said:

its wild that firsr sentence literally explains what lycoris recoil is. i baited u into contradicting ur claims on lycoris recoil so easily lol

The difference is one is pure waifu bait for otakus with super cliche “I’m going to die” and typical ice Queen, and the other is a refreshing concept with unique characters and ideas. Combine that with shallow world building that doesn’t get explained well and you get something worse than Spy x Family. It’s wild that it needs to be explained at all, but I pretty easily explained why it’s very mediocre.
Aug 30, 2022 11:43 AM

May 2020
MegaStride said:
CickNipolla said:

The difference is one is pure waifu bait for otakus with super cliche “I’m going to die” and typical ice Queen, and the other is a refreshing concept with unique characters and ideas. Combine that with shallow world building that doesn’t get explained well and you get something worse than Spy x Family. It’s wild that it needs to be explained at all, but I pretty easily explained why it’s very mediocre.

as opposed to the loli bait that spy x family is??

also have we forgotten yor is the typical " ice queen " lol
Aug 30, 2022 12:10 PM

Mar 2015
MegaStride said:

I mean, it IS rated high. It has an 8.28 rating. And with good reason. I would say it should be higher, but I mean GitS is enormously influential. And really, the artwork alone is stunning. The sound design is amazing, the characters are well done, the story is rich and complex, and the music is utterly haunting.

I mean take a look at this screenshot. If you open this image in a new tab and zoom in you can really see the details.Look at the detail on the walls. That tiny little graffiti that is actually completely legible. The stains and smears and the walls, and the little details on the electrical conduit behind his head. And you only see this for a brief second while the character is running past. And the entire movie is like this. Every single frame is basically it's own framable work of art, that you could hang on your wall. That's incredible. And the music? Kenji Kawaii did things in composing music for this that have never been done before. Even if you don't like cyberpunk, or don't like GitS you have to give the film credit for it's huge cultural impact and stunning art:

Sara_IsayamaAug 30, 2022 12:57 PM
Aug 30, 2022 12:20 PM

Feb 2020
I wonder how people come with enthusiasm thinking they are making a very original topic but actually are making the same old sheep opinion and replies with no heads and tails.

I have not seen Lycoris Recoil at all. But from a single look i can tell it doesn't fall is same category or genre as Ghost in the Shell or Akira unless I am wrong. Sci-fi vs girls with guns comparison is pretty much strawman to begin with. Also let's not get ahead of ourselves and somehow give extra credits to both of this movies which are "summarised" version of a much more detailed manga even if we exclude preferences.
Obviously older anime have lesser member and are at disadvantage and every anime when aired has some amount of recency bais. Especially the shows which are released before existence of mal are at disadvantage. Also movies and tv series also are not exactly same format to have factors associated be a equal comparison.

As for the the other things mentioned in op, from a general animation and design pov, if i have to say my personal opinion on preferring newer or digital animation or designs. Then that would be because it more colorful and lively, to be more exact it more unrealistic and imaginative. I don't really watch anime for realism. Live action format is much more richer format as alternative in terms of realism visual and tone. Also Old anime designs have too many details which has no narrative value. As such extremely high amount of animation is needed in comparison to a simple design. Usually big black lines and multiple objects of animation in a single clip just adds a strain to eyes when viewed in motion because of lack of focal point. A good eg of this is metropolis movie. Each have their own preference so it depends from person to person. But i do believe it what makes newer anime more approachable or popular than older one (nothing to do with scores though) . Just providing a point of view of opposite side, so don't take this as a inferrence of any kind.

At the end of the day it's just a score. A good technical discussion could be made about the reason speculation. But unfortunately this discussion and how op was framed is just low quality and repetition of most other mal topics which stems for personal bais of "old is gold" sentimentality. So other than some generalised group blaming phenomenon to feed egos, i don't see the forum contributing any further value in terms of usefulness on the topic.

As for original question, No, i don't think so. But that could be because of my bias or preference too. Though still watchable and enjoyable which are much more valuable terms are what's forming the basis of my answer than buzz work like masterpiece or literacy level.
Also by "as of late" if u mean this year in particular then answer would be i don't know since I have watch very less from this year's content.
AdampkAug 30, 2022 1:48 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 30, 2022 12:41 PM

May 2014
Why do people love to compare things that barely have anything in common just to try and make their point?
Also this type of post has been done to death, please stop.
Aug 30, 2022 12:50 PM
Aug 2022
Ericonator said:
Why do people love to compare things that barely have anything in common just to try and make their point?
Also this type of post has been done to death, please stop.

Because people love the attention that comes from comparing two unrelated things as it always creates arguments and conflicts. The ironic thing is that the OP presents herself as a mature anime fan but her behaviour is the exact opposite with a hint of smugness.
Aug 30, 2022 1:09 PM

Jun 2019
I'm going to be perfectly honest - When I opened this thread topic based on the title, I didn't expect to be immediately blindsided and hit in the face with slander directed toward Lycoris Recoil...

Now I'm left in a virtual state of disbelief, but enraged and seething.
Aug 30, 2022 5:31 PM

Feb 2021
Airing anime usually has a higher rating. Wait until it's finished airing then see the rating will go down. I don't think Lycoris Recoil is a good example here. A better and more fitting example is Spy x Family. People keep pestering how amazing of a show it is and yet the only thing that is happening in that anime is Anya making """funny""" expressions.

That being said, I don't think great anime standard has gone downhill.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 30, 2022 6:04 PM

Jan 2021
MegaStride said:
CickNipolla said:

No OP is partially right. Lycoris Recoil is pathetically mediocre and should not be ranked that high. Spy x Family very easily clears that yuri-bait with shallow world building and cliche waifu bait. Hence why SxF is rated far far higher than Mid Recoil.

While I think that Lycoris is weirdly high too... Spy x Family is definitely not better. It doesn't even win at the comedy despite Spy x Family being more focused in comedy than LycoReco, which is funny in itself.
Aug 30, 2022 6:16 PM

Dec 2016
"As of late"? This has been the trend for at least the last 10 years.
Aug 30, 2022 6:41 PM

Mar 2015
SoldierDream said:
"As of late"? This has been the trend for at least the last 10 years.

That's honestly how I think of "as of late", hahahaha yes, for the last ten years or so at least, there's been this kind of trend.
Aug 31, 2022 3:04 AM

Jul 2019
After it ends, give it a few months and the score will start going down. No matter what anime. They have existed so they have found their final resting place. I doubt they will ever start going up again. They only go down.
Aug 31, 2022 3:13 AM

Jul 2021
CickNipolla said:
MegaStride said:

as opposed to the loli bait that spy x family is??

also have we forgotten yor is the typical " ice queen " lol

I wouldn't consider Yor as the typical ice queen archetype, she is more of an assassin mom... But then again, she basically got no screen time in season 1, which is rather lame.
Aug 31, 2022 3:37 AM

Aug 2018
That awkward moment when you think you are the leading authority on what makes something a "masterpiece"...

Also I don't know why you think the equation is/should be: popular + highly rated = masterpiece. The average scores should reflect how well the average user enjoyed an anime, not how close it is to being a "masterpiece", because most people don't care if what they are watching is "masterpiece quality". Hell, most of them don't even care if the writing is worth a damn--if they like the anime, then they watch it, recommend it to others, and rate it highly. It's that simple.
Poyo.
Aug 31, 2022 5:46 AM

Dec 2019
I feel like if you went 10 years in the past, this exact same question would be asked and maybe if you go back another 10, it might still be the case. And if we go to 2032, this same question would probably appear and make this era of anime look better in retrospect to a bunch of people as people would only remember the bigger and higher-rated/popular titles from this. It is just what it is.
Aug 31, 2022 4:16 PM

Mar 2015
MangagnaM said:
I feel like if you went 10 years in the past, this exact same question would be asked and maybe if you go back another 10, it might still be the case. And if we go to 2032, this same question would probably appear and make this era of anime look better in retrospect to a bunch of people as people would only remember the bigger and higher-rated/popular titles from this. It is just what it is.

Hopefully not. Personally, what I would say would be a better future, is one where more independent artists are able to produce works that the artists themselves are interested in. I'd also like to see more classic manga turned into anime. There's a lot of completed manga that is really good that deserves an anime production. For example 3x3 eyes got a limited OVA release but would be really interesting to see as an anime. One of the problems with the production committee model in my opinion, is it likes to make anime based on currently releasing manga, and capitalize on current fans of the manga, what with merchandising, etc. There's not a lot of interest in older manga once it's completed. And yet there's a LOT of really good stories out there. Lone Wolf and Cub for example would be really neat to see turned into an anime series. Now, how realistic that hope is, is another matter. Money drives business after all. But I have heard that even people in the industry have said that the current "production committee" model needs to change, and that the way anime is produced needs to be reformed. I mean we'll see what happens. Change is a constant. Sometimes things change for the better. Certainly the anime industry has had its declines before ( for example, the 80's as others have noted) and has bounced back. Reforms that led to a new "golden age" (however that might come about), would be a best case scenario in my opinion. This is all just envisioning, of course, but something like that coming about would be more of ideal from my perspective.

An example of a worse future for anime, imo, would be a further decline into stale, tropey, flavor of the week trends. For instance, the present Reincarnation Isekai obsession kind of reminds me of the way things were in the 80's with everything being yet another mecha. A lot of anime has started to feel very canned. A worse future would be a further decline into unoriginal stale, canned anime, with the primary alternative being the big popular shonens with a gazillion episodes, kind of like in the 80's. Again, what I would consider an ideal future would be a second golden age. I just watched Trigun: Badlands Rumble the other night, (for whatever reason I never watched the movie.) It's basically just a 2 hour Trigun episode; and what struck me when watching it, is that the tone and characters feel very different than the kind of anime that seems to be currently trending. The characters are very interesting, and the setting and story of the world is interesting. It just feels different. It was very refreshing to watch it, even if the movie itself didn't blow my mind. It was like having a breath mint or a palette cleanser to clear out one's palette after tasting the same flavors over and over again. It was nice to be reminded that anime can be so different. This was one of the reasons why I enjoyed Dorohedoro so much, and Devilman Crybaby. Also why I enjoy Studio Trigger's works. I like that they're unafraid to be unique and try different stuff.
Sara_IsayamaAug 31, 2022 4:43 PM
Aug 31, 2022 4:41 PM

Apr 2018
Mate, you literally just described why scores for newer anime are inflated compared to those of older anime. But you seriously thinking that the MAL score was an absolute measure of anime quality across the board was kinda funny ngl.
Aug 31, 2022 4:46 PM

Mar 2015
Parataxicalis said:
Mate, you literally just described why scores for newer anime are inflated compared to those of older anime.

You have a point. I mean Marvel movies bring in big box office revenues despite being completely unoriginal, stale tropey nonsense with the same jokes and same basic format with different rubber suits. The thing is though, it seems like there was a time when in the anime world where that kind of thing was more limited to the mecha genre, ecchi harems, or the big shonens that go on forever. It does feel like a lot of anime feels very industrial these days. And so you get a situation where literally anything that feels even slightly different (like Spy X Family) gets people excited because at least it's somewhat fresh. It's like the English when they discovered black pepper: if all your food is bland, even the simplest spice seems exciting.
Sara_IsayamaAug 31, 2022 4:57 PM
Aug 31, 2022 5:38 PM
Jul 2022
On an individual level, "recency bias" can go both ways. Rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia and all that. For example, if someone simply doesnt like newer animation and art techniques, then little to nothing created will satisfy. However, there is some pretty incredible art that has been released in the past 10-15 years. It doesnt always have every piece come together at the same level, of course. Just as it has always been.

As has been stated, scores on new anime will tend to represent entertainment factor relative to that season. Over time, this becomes more of a comparative value with anime in general. Importantly though, people may not have your same preferences.

One objective factor is that anime is an industry that has grown since decades ago, with all that entails. But there is a lot more going on than that.

It all goes in waves/cycles too, just like any other entertainment/art media and even forum posts themselves. Shows that standout will always be a rarity by their very nature and some of my favorite shows of all time have been released in the past 10-15 years.

If you are looking for something that is essentially the same in every way as GitS, you will only find disappointment in anything that isnt GitS. Its a classic that has stood up to the test of time for a reason. Its a bit like lamenting that painting has gone downhill since that time we were looking at it with brand new eyes and saw "that piece" that impacted our lives. Everything else created around that time will benefit from that favor in our perspective too.

You are unlikely to encounter that particular experience again, but its not all on the art itself. Even so, new experiences can be had if you are able to stop chasing that particular dragon. ETA: Though, I suppose you can always go in the other direction too, where you become cynical and jaded. Unable to recognize something you might enjoy more than any show in the past, but are unable to see it. Tragic, in its way, but that has its own appeal.
NyarlatAnimeAug 31, 2022 5:47 PM
Aug 31, 2022 6:19 PM

Aug 2020
NGL, this quickly devolved into an unironic elitist take with the usual guys baited out lmao.
Keep scrolling
Aug 31, 2022 6:46 PM

Mar 2015
Sara_Isayama said:
Deknijff said:
I guess thats the nature of what happens when new modern fans for the majority only watch seasonal stuff and at worst they might watch something from 2010 at the oldest that they still consider dated and badly animated

I honestly don't understand that mentality. I mean some of that stuff is meticulously drawn. I got an artbook recently from Production I.G, that has original production art from Ghost in the Shell, and literally every frame is just stunning. That film isn't just a work of art: it's a film made up of thousands of individual works of art. The fact that somebody drew that, is kind of mind blowing to me. The level of detail on some of that hand-drawn art is really incredible. It's not that there isn't good art in anime these days, ( I just watched Bubble recently and it's visually stunning), it's just that the colors are often a bit more muted in older anime that were colored using Copic markers. But like, so what? There's so many anime that have just incredible story, art, etc. I don't get the idea that if it's old, it's bad. I don't know anybody who's watched The 12 Kingdoms, (for example) who aren't impressed by it.

It seems to me, that a lot of what people think of as being "well animated" lately, just means "digitally colored".

Either you're really dumb or you're just missing the point. Most new fans won't even bother to watch old shows let alone rate them high.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 31, 2022 8:58 PM

Mar 2015
NyarlatAnime said:
On an individual level, "recency bias" can go both ways. Rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia and all that. For example, if someone simply doesnt like newer animation and art techniques, then little to nothing created will satisfy. However, there is some pretty incredible art that has been released in the past 10-15 years.

💯 this. Yeah I don't get the people who were like, "Anime was only good in the 90's/2000's! All the new stuff is crap!" Yeahhhh no. That's not true there's definitely been some very good anime the last 10-15 years. In the last five years alone we've had The Ancient Magus' Bride, Violet Evergarden, Mary and the Witch's Flower, Dororo, Dorohedoro, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song, Tokyo Revengers, Devilman Crybaby, Kakegurui, Demon Slayer, etc., to just name a few. 💯 people who don't like anything newer are very biased indeed.

As has been stated, scores on new anime will tend to represent entertainment factor relative to that season. Over time, this becomes more of a comparative value with anime in general. Importantly though, people may not have your same preferences.

NyarlatAnime said:
It all goes in waves/cycles too, just like any other entertainment/art media and even forum posts themselves. Shows that standout will always be a rarity by their very nature and some of my favorite shows of all time have been released in the past 10-15 years.

That's kinda the view I've been coming to as well. I'm very glad that the "overpowered mary sue reincarnation Isekai" trend seems to be coming to an end. I've heard Uncle From Another World called, "post-Isekai", and I take that as a good sign.

NyarlatAnime said:
If you are looking for something that is essentially the same in every way as GitS, you will only find disappointment in anything that isnt GitS.

No, I was literally just using it as an example just because it's a well-known masterpiece. You could literally substitute any other well-known masterpiece with a lower score to make the same point. It was just an example. That's why I also mentioned Akira, which also has a lower score than the current flavor of the week. They were just two examples of heavy hitter anime films that the community (and most everyone else for that matter), has long considered masterpieces. If Spirited Away was ranked lower (it's not, but if it was), I'd use that just as easily to illustrate the same point.

Aug 31, 2022 9:04 PM

Mar 2015
johnbradshaw said:
Most new fans won't even bother to watch old shows let alone rate them high.

Well that's just plain stupid. That's like saying you won't read Dune, or the Lord of the Rings because it didn't come out in the last five years. They gotta have the attention span of a mustard seed if that's their outlook. Those people aren't anime fans at all imo. They literally don't count as far as I'm concerned. Those are just people who are watching a show because it's on, and/or trending. (And it could just as well be any other show, anime or not). As far as I'm concerned, someone who's an anime fan is someone who appreciates the the craft, not just something with the shelf life of a TikTok trend. Those kinda people are not much different than the kind of old school folks who won't appreciate anything new. It's just plain dumb, and I don't really consider people like that to be actual anime fans. Because it's not "anime" itself that they're a fan of: it's just a current show or trend they like, (or maybe don't even like, maybe just watching it because it's current and trending).

Sara_IsayamaAug 31, 2022 9:21 PM
Aug 31, 2022 10:10 PM
Dec 2019
Score inflation over time, its inevitabe like it or not
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Aug 31, 2022 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
Nope.

The world has changed in terms of taste. Things have shifted. Anime is different now, as with most mediums. But there were great shows then and there are great shows now. Just depends on your cup of tea and what you like.
Aug 31, 2022 10:28 PM

Nov 2019
It's just that we're getting more casuals nowadays that everything they touch is an immediate 10/10.

IronGhost115 said:

Think of it like this, just like the age of your sexual partner, it doesn't matter, it is but a number.

And jail is just a room, am I getting it right?
SgtBateManAug 31, 2022 10:37 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Aug 31, 2022 10:33 PM

Mar 2015
ixaa said:
The world has changed in terms of taste. Things have shifted. Anime is different now, as with most mediums. But there were great shows then and there are great shows now.

I somewhat agree, but I also find this perspective interesting. I'd be interested to hear more about what you've observed as far as the changes in taste are concerned. What would you say that the big changes in taste have been? Obviously mecha isn't as popular as it once was, and Isekai Tensei (reincarnation Isekai) has been trending in the last five years or so. But I'm interested to hear what you would say.

Also, I don't think all the changes have been due to "taste". I'm fairly certain that if Cowboy Bebop never aired in the 90's and just came out now, people would still think it's awesome. Good stories are good stories. Yes, there are trends, but the best anime have always been those that weren't following trends anyway. Look at Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song that came out last year. That definitely doesn't fit into any recent "trend" and yet was phenomenal. Dorohedoro doesn't really follow a "trend" either. Those are both examples of works that are just really original unique stories. In fact, a lot of the great anime that people consider masterpieces (for example, Shinsekai Yori), have that in common: they are unique original stories that aren't band-wagoning on some trend. I think one of the trends I've seen in the last few years is that a lot of the anime that are released, aren't original, unique stories. They are largely derivatives or trends. Of course, I say "largely". As I've noted, we've been blessed with a few original unique ones. But it does seem to be the case that the bulk of the volume of anime that gets released every year now seems to be largely some derivative of a trend. And I don't think that's because people don't have a taste for unique, original anime. I think it's just a shameless cash grab by production groups. If someone can write an Isekai and make it just ever so slightly different, then they can cash in on a trend. "Look! I made an Isekai, but my hero is a slime!"

Like, let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. As I noted previously, in 1998, there were only 34 anime made, at all, in the entire year.

Compare that to 2021:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_in_anime

295(!!!) anime were made. In 1998, as I highlighted, at least 14 were considered classics or memorable enough to be of note. That's 14 out of 34, which is about 41%. So nearly half of all anime made in 1998, were either very good, or at least noteworthy.

Compare that to what you see on that 2021 list. Most of the titles on there, were sequels, derivatives, trend hoppers, or canned trope followers. For sure, there's a few good and noteworthy ones from that year: Tokyo Revengers, Sk8 the Infinity, Vivy, Komi Can't Communicate, and others. But even if you found like 10 good titles out of that year, that's still 10 out of nearly 300. That's like slightly more than 3%.

I don't think that's an improvement, personally. And I don't think it's just due to changing tastes. Most people don't watch the vast majority of those anime, because they're crap. I mean how many people do you know who watched "Drugstore in another world?" Or something like that. The changes aren't just taste: there's a LOT of garbage put out now. It used to be, that you could be reasonably assured a large portion of anime made would have really good unique stories. Now, that's very much not the case. Personally, I would rather studios focus resources on only a handful of titles every year, and make those really good, than the hundreds we get per year now, with only a handful of good or noteworthy titles per year. The present situation is rather wasteful. And the result is that all those mediocre (or just plain bad) titles get financed with the profits of a few big isekais and shonens, which just encourages more flavor of the week stuff to get made, rather than anything original.

Sara_IsayamaAug 31, 2022 11:41 PM
Aug 31, 2022 11:22 PM

Jun 2019
I only found mal in 2019 and since then have gotten back into anime. In the last year in particular I've watched a lot more of the older 'classic' greats (Utena, Aria, Princess Tutu, Samurai Champloo, Serial Experiments Lain, Hibike Euphonium, Macross, Fruits Basket 2019, Cardcaptor Sakura, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha ..). The more I watch the more I realise how narrow my view of anime was even back in 2019 and how I scored shows a bit too avidly.

For example I scored both Seven Mortal Sins and Valkyrie Drive Mermaid an 8/10 a few years ago, cause they were fun and edgy with boobs. Just finished Cross Ange last week and it was cut from the same cloth as these shows but I wouldn't give it an 8/10 nowadays just for being edgy (I scored it a low 7/10).

I've found myself seeking back into older anime like City Hunter and Dirty Pair from the 80's recently but that's only because I've had time to watch all the regular classics (Code Geass, Trigun, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Toradora, Gurren Lagann etc).

On the isekai point, we have had some pretty unique and decent isekai in the last couple of years, amongst the bland trash, such as Fabiniku, Dungeon of Black Company, Faraway Paladin, Tsukimichi, Ascendance of a Bookworm. So there are some isekai worth checking out but a lot of the isekai each season seem almost identical (ie Black Summoner & 2nd class mage this season, from what I hear anyway).

Kaguya-sama Love is War has been a pretty amazing and different rom-com that I'd call a great show. I've been really surprised how well it landed the finish in the 3rd season (well maybe we'll get another bit of the story in a movie, but guessing most of the drama is done). Odd Taxi and Vivy are great examples of fresh creative shows.
23feanorAug 31, 2022 11:27 PM
Aug 31, 2022 11:31 PM

Mar 2015
23feanor said:
I only found mal in 2019 and since then have gotten back into anime. In the last year in particular I've watched a lot more of the older 'classic' greats (Utena, Aria, Princess Tutu, Samurai Champloo, Serial Experiments Lain, Hibike Euphonium, Macross, Fruits Basket 2019, Cardcaptor Sakura, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha ..). The more I watch the more I realise how narrow my view of anime was even back in 2019 and how I scored shows a bit too avidly.

Yes! Bravo to you for seeing this! claps approvingly I'm so glad that you saw that. Like there's sooo many good stories out there. If you want a list, I'll send you one!
Aug 31, 2022 11:42 PM

Jul 2012
I could pick a show you rated 9 or 10 that I dislike and make the same argument. And you can probably do it too with one of my 9/10-rated shows. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. Sometimes you agree with the general consensus and sometimes you don't, that's it.
Aug 31, 2022 11:54 PM

Apr 2021
OF COURSE, they even treat bad cgi as a good thing now "Hey, it isnt that bad". What a time !
Sep 1, 2022 12:04 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Y'all know, Anime fans nowadays keep spamming 9 and 10 to inflate the general score of their favs. A show wtih decent animation, cute girls and some entertainment values can easily get a high score and stand on top of other classic shows.
kizumi91Sep 1, 2022 3:41 AM
Sep 1, 2022 12:08 AM

Mar 2015
HikariShoumeiron said:
I could pick a show you rated 9 or 10 that I dislike and make the same argument. And you can probably do it too with one of my 9/10-rated shows. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. Sometimes you agree with the general consensus and sometimes you don't, that's it.

It's not though. People can (and do) evaluate many factors of an anime. For example, story: does it have a unique, original, well-written story? Or does it just recycle a trope story that's been done a million times before? Art: is it well-animated, or even if not, have an original art style or something that stands out as being very well done? Or is it very obviously cheaply done? Music: does it have quality original score, with good songs and composed music? Or does it have cheaply recycled music?

These things can actually be evaluated. You can like something that's badly done, just because it appeals to you, and you can dislike something that's well-done and still appreciate that it's well-done and high quality. If you watch something like Coyboy Bebop: the music scored by Yokko Kanno is just objectively better than something that just uses recycled canned music. Even if you don't like the songs, even if you don't like Cowboy Bebop, there's still a lot more effort that was put into that soundtrack than something with simple canned music. And so on.

"Good writing" is actually a thing. Is the world-building done well? Are the characters actually fully fleshed out, with backstories, flaws, and individual character arcs? Is the story not full of plot-holes? Are the characters actually written as people, and not Mary Sue's with plot armor, or as "-dere" tropes? Is the prop design (an often overlooked aspect) done well, with unique props that the characters interact with, or is it just another standard JRPG-looking magical bow with little swooshes on it? Is setup and payoff used correctly?

Again, good writing is a thing. You can appreciate a good anime even if you don't personally like it. I'm not a huge fan of Mushishi (for example), but I do recognize that it's very well-written with interesting stories and characters, and good art and definitely deserves the praise it gets. I can separate my own "likes and dislikes" from what is just objectively a high quality anime.
Sara_IsayamaSep 1, 2022 12:12 AM
Sep 1, 2022 12:09 AM

Mar 2015
kizumi91 said:
Y'all know, Anime fans nowadays keep spamming 9 and 10 to inflate the general score of their favs. A show wtih decent animation, cute girls and some entertainment values can easy get a high score and stand on top of other classic show.

This seems legit. And I think is one of the things I really don't like about Otaku culture.
Sep 1, 2022 12:10 AM

Mar 2015
xavien54 said:
OF COURSE, they even treat bad cgi as a good thing now "Hey, it isnt that bad". What a time !

Right??? Like CGI can be done very well, but omg it can be so bad sometimes.
Sep 1, 2022 12:31 AM

Sep 2018
I thought Akira was an outdated, boring piece of work which is only put on a pedestal, thanks to the work put in to create it. Another one of those forgettable style of substance anime that I dislike. Haven't seen GITS yet, so can't comment there. But I do believe that pre 05 or so, there are many shows that are rated seemingly far more harshly than what it rated in 2022 and I think that's mostly due to the ever-growing anime fanbase, which also brings in a lot of first timers. Barely anyone is going to watch Twelve Kingdoms, if that was airing today with good pacing and production values, I'd predict it to be around the high 8s, instead of barely surpassing 8. Instead, we gonna watch the latest Demon Slayer season of course...
Sep 1, 2022 12:34 AM

May 2020
Whats been called a masterpiece from the past 5 years:

- Kaguya
- JJK
- Spy x Family
- Demon Slayer

Whats been called a masterpiece from the 2000s:

- Code Geass
- Death Note
- FMAB
- Gurren Lagann

Modern anime unfortunately focus more on witty, gen z humor and trying to appease twitter culture than focusing on making a sound, outstanding plot. A lot of anime these days are simply surface level. Its not really debatable. Things that are good, but nothing that stands out
Sep 1, 2022 12:45 AM

Mar 2015
CickNipolla said:

- Kaguya
- JJK
- Spy x Family
- Demon Slayer

- Code Geass
- Death Note
- FMAB
- Gurren Lagann

Modern anime unfortunately focus more on witty, gen z humor and trying to appease twitter culture than focusing on making a sound, outstanding plot. A lot of anime these days are simply surface level. Its not really debatable. Things that are good, but nothing that stands out

I will say there are a few that stand out. Did you see Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song? Or Violet Evergarden? But yes, those kind of anime are few these days. And even among the good, there's so few good ones compared to the hundreds of bad ones, that even "just okay" ones seem to jump out when they would have been considered "just okay" before. Even I've fallen prey to that. I laughed a lot watching Spy X Family, but I would never have considered that "good" anime in the 2000's. I would have considered it kind of mindless and dumb.
Sara_IsayamaSep 1, 2022 12:49 AM
Sep 1, 2022 12:49 AM

May 2020
Sara_Isayama said:
CickNipolla said:

- Kaguya
- JJK
- Spy x Family
- Demon Slayer

- Code Geass
- Death Note
- FMAB
- Gurren Lagann

I will say there are a few that stand out. Did you see Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song? Or Violet Evergarden? But yes, those kind of anime are few these days. And even among the good, there's so few good ones compared to the hundreds of bad ones, that even "just okay" ones seem to jump out when they would have been considered "just okay" before.

its a bit unfair to use a kyoto animation example because pretty much anything they do ends up being top of the line.
Sep 1, 2022 12:49 AM

Jun 2015

[*]Adventures of Mini-Goddess
[*]All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
[*]Bomberman B-Daman Bakugaiden
[*]Brain Powerd
[*]Blue Submarine No. 6
[*]Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
[*]Cardcaptor Sakura
[*]Cowboy Bebop
[*]Cyber Team in Akihabara
[*]Devil Lady
[*]El-Hazard: The Alternative World
[*]Flint the Time Detective
[*]Gasaraki
[*]Geobreeders
[*]Golgo 13: Queen Bee
[*]His and Her Circumstances
[*]If I See You in My Dreams
[*]Initial D
[*]Kite
[*]Lost Universe
[*]Master Keaton
[*]Neo Ranga
[*]NightWalker
[*]Ninja Resurrection
[*]Outlaw Star
[*]Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
[*] Serial Experiments Lain
[*] Mahou no Stage Fancy Lala
[*]Shadow Skill
[*]Silent Mobius
[*]Spriggan
[*]Steam Detectives
[*]Super Milk Chan
[*]Trigun
[*]Yu-Gi-Oh!

FTFW because yeah, it needed so.
Sep 1, 2022 12:54 AM

Oct 2013
This isn't an anime problem and it's not a recent problem. People have overhyped things for years. Hardly anything lives up to the amount of hype it gets, because hype is always over-exaggerated. But none of that matters, because this is all subjective. Why pay so much attention to it when in the end it has no impact on how much you enjoy something personally unless you let it.
Sep 1, 2022 1:27 AM

Mar 2015
CickNipolla said:

its a bit unfair to use a kyoto animation example because pretty much anything they do ends up being top of the line.

Hahahahaha! So true. Though to be fair, there are a few others. Tokyo Revengers was really good, as was Dorohedoro. There are a few really good ones of the last five years but they do seem to be getting less common. Production I.G generally puts out very good work. And while Trigger's stuff seems to be either home runs or striking out entirely, I give them a 1000% credit for experimenting and trying to be original, and playing with new art styles.
Sara_IsayamaSep 1, 2022 1:31 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

12 by Zettaiken »»
2 minutes ago

» Which anime character do you think would make the best therapist, and why? Would you want to be their patient?

Wendoka - 9 hours ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

130 by juanlqr »»
15 minutes ago

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - Yesterday

18 by MeguSae38 »»
3 hours ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

52 by MeguSae38 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.