Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 21, 2021 8:21 AM

Mar 2021
Bruh, ain't nobody stopping me from watching Chainsaw Man no matter what they say.

Nice try though :)
Anime is overrated
Jun 21, 2021 8:26 AM
May 2019
Okay whatever I'm still going to watch their Animes besides this isn't going to solve anything, Japan doesn't give a fuck about international audience only Japanese can do something about it
Sayali567Jun 21, 2021 8:34 AM
Jun 21, 2021 8:31 AM
May 2019
jal90 said:
What the fuck are some of these answers. The OP is not bringing a practical solution because nobody is going to stop watching the anime they like and most pirate it anyway, but of course it would work to not buy its products. Mappa must be one of the nastiest examples of corporate greediness in recent years. Many people have warned that its growth is unnatural (and brought by hype, I'd add), that it is badly organized and has to outsource a lot of stuff even if it allegedly has one of the largest workforces in a studio in the industry, that its work ethics are awful and there's already a number of cases denouncing abusive conditions.

Mappa is symptomatic of how bad things are in the industry, but as a symptom, it's one of the most severe cases we have recently, with the added issue that since it produces popular stuff its brand has transcended and has created a fanbase and a hatedom.
All working conditions in Japan are fucked up and everyone knows that but it's their country's problem and we can't do anything about it if you think that if we stopped watching animes then anything will change then Nope
Jun 21, 2021 8:40 AM

Jun 2017
I am not sure how that is going to solve the problem though?
Jun 21, 2021 8:42 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012

Suggestion is appreciated, though. Still hoping for an SNK anime original ending.
Jun 21, 2021 8:45 AM

Oct 2017
Dude this isn't new news (this info came out weeks ago) and sure it's pretty terrible that MAPPA is falling back into issues that plagued Madhouse when it comes to animator treatment but if we had such a moral stance on this we wouldn't watch anime at all due to work place abuses. If the Chainsaw Man adaption is good I am going to watch it plus they are supposedly bringing in a lot more freelancers for that one.

Honestly yeah if you want change you are going to have to see Japanese animators unionize or for the government to step in and start putting regulations down on proper minimum salary and max work hours. If you think a boycott by Western or international fans is going to screw them when they have one of the most profitable battle shonen out there to adapt, another big original in Yuri on Ice, the remnants of AOT and a potential big one in CSM you are going to be very disappointed. They are one of the biggest studios in the industry highly unlikely they will go under anytime soon.
BilboBaggins365Jun 21, 2021 8:49 AM
Jun 21, 2021 8:46 AM

Dec 2020
And how will it help the animators?You wont be watching something they spend hours and hours creating.Unfortunately,the working environments and the problems between the staff of a studio cant be solved like this.

"I had a dream. Under the full moon, I was a child embraced by nostalgic warmth. But when I wake from the dream, only a vague sense of longing remains...that, too, will soon disappear with a single tear like mountain dew"

Jun 21, 2021 8:54 AM

Oct 2018
that is probably the worst solution that you provide to us. I'm not going to stop watching anime from mappa. please provide us something that advantage for both parties.
Jun 21, 2021 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
Watching isn't bad but people should not simp for them by saying mappa goat and shit
Jun 21, 2021 8:55 AM
Dec 2018
A very large portion of this site watch or download anime for free. I would probably say most of the users on here pirate anime and don't spend money on the source material.

I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Jun 21, 2021 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
i think you mean "stop supporting mappa studio"
Jun 21, 2021 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
Do you really create the account for this?
Jun 21, 2021 9:15 AM

Feb 2021
Stop telling us what to do! No one likes internet preachers!
Jun 21, 2021 9:20 AM

Oct 2010
Sayali567 said:
jal90 said:
What the fuck are some of these answers. The OP is not bringing a practical solution because nobody is going to stop watching the anime they like and most pirate it anyway, but of course it would work to not buy its products. Mappa must be one of the nastiest examples of corporate greediness in recent years. Many people have warned that its growth is unnatural (and brought by hype, I'd add), that it is badly organized and has to outsource a lot of stuff even if it allegedly has one of the largest workforces in a studio in the industry, that its work ethics are awful and there's already a number of cases denouncing abusive conditions.

Mappa is symptomatic of how bad things are in the industry, but as a symptom, it's one of the most severe cases we have recently, with the added issue that since it produces popular stuff its brand has transcended and has created a fanbase and a hatedom.
All working conditions in Japan are fucked up and everyone knows that but it's their country's problem and we can't do anything about it if you think that if we stopped watching animes then anything will change then Nope

My dumb me deleting AGAIN a post when I was editing. It has happened twice already this week.

But in short, I am not talking about some sort of foreign vs Japanese mentality. Japanese people can boycott stuff and/or choose not to buy it, so they could adhere to the strategy or even promote it. The issue is that it's pretty hard to make it work, because yes, logically if you don't buy something the company doesn't earn money, but you can't effectively take this initiative so far that you convince large crowds of people to stop spending their money on something. Maybe if you add some spicy political scandal, but the work ethics of a studio? Meh, many don't even know the studio by name, they know the franchises.

Anyway, you are acting like Mappa doesn't want foreign money. Of course it does. It's all money to them, the more the merrier. So no, they wouldn't be fine with that even if they kept their entire Japanese market intact.
Jun 21, 2021 9:23 AM

Aug 2018
This issue isn't exclusive to mappa
_______I like rocks__
Jun 21, 2021 9:23 AM

Jun 2017
Nah, I wont stop watching anime by Studio Mappa... In fact, I feel like watching more of their anime, especially after seeing their amazing work on Shingeki no Kyojin and Jujutsu Kaisen.... An incredible studio that brought me a lot of joy and entertainment, I will always be grateful for what they've done...

1 or 2 animators hating their jobs wont stop me from liking Mappa
Jun 21, 2021 9:28 AM

Apr 2020
Studio Mappa? More like studio Crappa! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

beep boop bop pow
Jun 21, 2021 9:29 AM

Jul 2019
No because it wouldn't change a thing. Not everyone has the mentality to feel guilty over something they have no control whatsoever.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jun 21, 2021 9:29 AM

Oct 2017
It's nothing new in this industry, animators are overworked and underpayed a lot of the times.
Jun 21, 2021 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
Stop using your phone, because I'm sure child labour was used in at some step in the process to produce it. Stop living in your country, I'm sure they killed a lot of people in the past. These kinds of points could be made against anything. That's just how real life is.
Jun 21, 2021 9:35 AM

Mar 2021
jal90 said:
Sayali567 said:

My dumb me deleting AGAIN a post when I was editing. It has happened twice already this week.

But in short, I am not talking about some sort of foreign vs Japanese mentality. Japanese people can boycott stuff and/or choose not to buy it, so they could adhere to the strategy or even promote it. The issue is that it's pretty hard to make it work, because yes, logically if you don't buy something the company doesn't earn money, but you can't effectively take this initiative so far that you convince large crowds of people to stop spending their money on something. Maybe if you add some spicy political scandal, but the work ethics of a studio? Meh, many don't even know the studio by name, they know the franchises.

Anyway, you are acting like Mappa doesn't want foreign money. Of course it does. It's all money to them, the more the merrier. So no, they wouldn't be fine with that even if they kept their entire Japanese market intact.

But the problem it's not realistic. Japanese market > Foreign market and the margin difference is huge and many businesses prioritized their own market first. The core problem is for Japanese culture overworking is consider the social norm or to some extent, people will get shamed for not giving it their 120%. It's a lot better over the years with the influence consider how traditional Japan is but this type of Twitter boycotting isn't going to accelerate it. Telling western fans to don't watch MAPPA when the majority pirated it anyway and the ones that pay account for so little to their business I can't see why they would pay much attention to it.
Jun 21, 2021 12:47 PM

Jun 2007
Hard to say if a boycott like this will work, but I at least respect the OP for being morally consistent about it... unlike the anti-industry/pro-piracy crowd that cries crocodile tears over exploited animators, then proceeds to enjoy their work for free anyway. That's not refusing to support an unjust system; it's just making other people (and other people's money) support that system instead. Obviously these issues extend beyond MAPPA, but animators aren't going to win any concessions from an industry with no money.

And yes, similar arguments can apply to phones, clothing, and a host of other products. The difference is that no one's going out and advocating stealing that stuff in "protest" of poor conditions for workers. If pro-labor activism is only applied to products that can be easily obtained for free with little or no risk, that "activism" is self-serving, hollow, and phony.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jun 21, 2021 12:52 PM

Jan 2009
or just pirate the MAPPA anime shows lol to not give them any profit
Jun 21, 2021 12:58 PM

Aug 2020
If I want to watch an anime, I can watch it. It's not a problem with just MAPPA there is likely many other animes companies who do similar things. Overworking is a huge problem in Japanese Culture and it isn't just linked to MAPPA.

I'm gonna watch Chainsaw Man no matter what anyone says, I'm really excited for it.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jun 21, 2021 12:59 PM

Jan 2021
Says a rando who made account 3 weeks ago
Jun 21, 2021 1:00 PM

Jan 2020
Sure, if we boycott MAPPA, they'll notice and stop taking up so many projects at the same time.

While I definitely don't understand what the heck is going on in the head of whoever's making decisions in MAPPA, I don't think that'll change as long as they're around. Also, once employees start voicing their concerns and maybe leaving for another studio/not contracting with MAPPA anymore, then things might change. This is also the case for so many studios, MAPPA just happens to be the worst right now.

I wish there were more studios as consistent as Kyoto Animation that can at least offer a healthy work schedule and good pay.

The anime industry is cruel and it's sad.

Now about the tweet, the link doesn't work anymore, but I think I remember what he said. He said something about regretting working so hard to get into MAPPA only to end up making corrections instead of animating. This put me under the impression that he's mainly complaining about not doing what he worked so hard for aka animating, for extended periods of time.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jun 21, 2021 1:03 PM

Feb 2020
I get it that they are overworking them but what does that has to do with us watching their anime series/movies? It's their work that they get paid to do duh.
Jun 21, 2021 1:08 PM

Aug 2011
If I boycotted all anime made by a studio that overworked and underpaid its employees, there wouldn't be much left for me to watch.
Jun 21, 2021 1:11 PM

May 2008
Yea dude just wanted to be more creative and they did not give him a chance... sure really good reason for canceling shit out of MAPPA. :)

Ok I am not defending that company because producing so many stuff in same time definitely is hard on all staff that works there. But if you want to make a list what companies to cancel I am pretty sure this one is not even in top100.

I am more than sure that half of the stuff you own is made in countries where factory workers are treated like shit or even made by child labor... yea start with that and then we can look at offended artists that do not want to correct badly drawn lines all day. ;)
Jun 21, 2021 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
Watching or not watching their anime is not going to change anything you know.
Jun 21, 2021 1:26 PM

Jul 2015
I have no idea what they produced, but on the list of anime they had Zombieland Saga and I love that series. The other series I may not watch though.
Jun 21, 2021 1:32 PM

Dec 2019
I totally get what is being said here, I've been aware of the hellish conditions young animators are having to work in, but this won't stop me from watching Chainsaw Man (on the high seas ofc)
Jun 21, 2021 1:33 PM

Jun 2014
1) Doesn't sound all that different from other studios tbh, and seems like a typical story in the animation industry.
2) Doesn't sound all that different from other companies (in different industries) in Japan. Japan is notorious for its "black companies."
3) There are a ton of people wishing to be animators in Japan. Generally speaking, the easier you are to replace, the less the company/industry cares about you as a business asset. Just an intuitive "rule"
Jun 21, 2021 1:35 PM

May 2021
cmon i buy shirts and sneakers made from sweatshops and have products probably made in the poorest work conditions of the world and im going to stop watching anime cause they dont get correctly compensated lmao

Jun 21, 2021 1:35 PM
Dec 2019
Its called reality, and its not just mappa. If we had to boycott all anime made by basically slave labour 95 percent of it wouldn't exist. Honestly the best you can do is get the word out, and maybe if enough outcry happens stuff will change
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jun 21, 2021 1:47 PM
Jun 21, 2021 1:47 PM

Jan 2020
It sounds awful for sure. I think this can also be seen as a "I'll try my best to appreciate their works more"

Jun 21, 2021 1:56 PM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
If MAPPA keeps making Jujutsu Kaisen perfect, and makes an original AOT ending then I allow them to kill all their workers, to then torture and kill me, and to then drop a nuke
9cycle cycle9

Jun 22, 2021 8:14 AM

Jul 2020
thanks for that wonderful information, random dude who just created the account recently. I will now restrain myself to watch any Mappa projects or any anime project that Mappa's involved with.
Jun 22, 2021 11:37 AM

Feb 2020
i was actually waiting for something like this to come lmao
i'm pirating anime anyway, so i won't just stop
i get your issue, but it's probably not gonna work this way

tysm iva-🐢💜

Jun 22, 2021 11:50 AM

Dec 2019
Welcome in Japan where is happening in every studio... Anyway
Jun 22, 2021 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
You want us to make it better for the animators by not watching. That makes no sense. Give me a better solution and I will follow.
Jun 22, 2021 12:25 PM

Oct 2020
Nice job baiting, you should've done it on your main instead of hiding behind an alt.
Jun 22, 2021 12:36 PM

Oct 2020
Okay, but I will still watch MAPPA anime, I've been waiting for Chainsaw Man adaptation for a long time and you told me to stop watching their anime, at least wait after I watch Chainsaw Man xD
Jun 22, 2021 12:53 PM

Apr 2020
Just because they made AoT: The Final Season & Jujutsu Kaisen at almost the same time, doesn't make them the studio that pumps out the most shit, most of us think that way because both of them...are super popular. It sucks for the animator, but he made his choice, and do he will.

I mean look at J.C Staff, they're also making a lot of animes in such a short time like MAPPA do. And just this year, LIDENFILMS are also releasing a lot of theirs. Almost all studios in the anime industry are overworking themselves, and its not necessarily the studio's fault, it's also countless number of bigwigs and production commitees that are forcing them to release it quickly.

Also why would you convince others to stop watching animes from Studio MAPPA, in a way - we watching their animes is atleast enough to compensate their grueling months of work. Pirated or not, watching their animes is atleast an effort from us to acknowledge their hard work, at the same time be amazed from how great the finished product is.

Convincing to prevent watching from Studio MAPPA is a disservice for MAPPA's staff who still love what they do and pushing themselves to their limits to atleast deliver us some entertainment that even we don't pay or reprimand to.
Jun 22, 2021 1:11 PM

Feb 2017
That animation studio doesn't know you exist and yet you waste the time of your life making this drama.
The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent.
Jun 23, 2021 12:40 AM
Aug 2013
I mean it's all anecdotal claims at this point but if the result of their methods is what's producing such high quality anime then they're doing something right compared to other studios
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jun 23, 2021 12:50 AM

Dec 2018
Nice try, but I'm still not canceling MAPPA
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Jun 23, 2021 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
Ok. Thanks a lot for the useless advice.
Jun 23, 2021 12:55 AM

Nov 2018
Yeah no one gives a flying fuck whether you tell us to watch an anime made by mappa or not. I know what they're doing is really horrible but instead of going bankrupt, this is slightly better. Besides, most people who watches anime only watches it on pirated websites, and that includes me too.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » should an anime be mature and/or intelligent to be considered masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

deg - Jul 29, 2022

50 by Daviljoe193 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - 2 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
12 minutes ago

» ✨✌The Character Rock Lee Is based On Bruce Lee?!

Metabee177 - 4 hours ago

7 by Ezeeql »»
20 minutes ago

» Do anime girls like this bite?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

6 by Daviljoe193 »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art?

Spunkert - Mar 11

38 by benisfroms »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.