Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 9, 2020 9:25 PM

Nov 2013
Damn this episode was unexpectedly hilarious!

Kinoshita is right, Rikuo has got it good. He’s lucky he has someone angry at him, it shows they care.
One thing I hate that he’s doing though is saying to Haru, “What does it matter to you, anyway?” whenever she finds out about him with another woman. Whatever happens I hope Haru gets a good route, she’s still by far my favourite character and romantic interest for Rikuo.

What I really like about this anime is how they can introduce new characters and get you attached to them almost instantly. They seem like real people with distinct attitudes and unique views on life, which adds to the overall immersion I feel with every episode. I like how the conversations come up very organically...just a really great anime.
One thing that’s a shame is how the characters they introduce seemingly disappear after one episode, hopefully they come back and have an influence on Rikuo. Every character that’s introduced has something to add to the storyline, which I firmly believe.

Looking forward to the next episode
May 9, 2020 9:55 PM

Jun 2013
Sweanime said:
Funny how a minor character can be more interresting then two main girl. I Even feel she would be more interesting to engage in the story and win the whole thing.

This is pretty much how I feel. The main cast is getting on my nerves, nothing is happening, despite being six episodes in and they're all at the same spot. Also, there's more development with the side characters. Last episode, the guy who had a crush on Haru, Minato, was way more interesting than Rikuo tbh.

However, despite the main cast being so fucking slow. It's interesting to watch them, not because I want the best for them but it's like watching a train wreck. It's hard to look away. I enjoy seeing them suffer and struggle with life.
臭い-
May 9, 2020 9:58 PM

Aug 2018
ToraiS said:
Yuzuhara aside, the ED shot of someone's corkboard being finally filled up has not really been mentioned in this discussion. I think it signifies something; does it signify the end of the semi-episodic nature of this show, is something big gonna happen in the next few weeks or do we get a new ED next week? Pretty sure that corkboard needs a replacement, or a clean slate.

Exciting if you ask me, not to get my hopes up for nothing though.

I noticed that too! I wonder what it means. Really great effect though.

Marty_McFlew said:
Just noticed that in the ED, there was a pregnancy test on the clipboard.... hmmmm... I wonder what this could mean

Are you sure you're not talking about the electronic thermometer (center right)?
Set SCE to AUX
May 9, 2020 10:13 PM

Feb 2014
Characters appearing in this show like the seasons changing and I like it. Chika was an unusual addition with that free personality of hers.
Damn Uozumi made Haru cry. I would have liked if had resolved the misunderstanding with her. But well next episode is gonna be worth it.

Spaceship said:

I noticed that too! I wonder what it means. Really great effect though.

Marty_McFlew said:
Just noticed that in the ED, there was a pregnancy test on the clipboard.... hmmmm... I wonder what this could mean

Are you sure you're not talking about the electronic thermometer (center right)?

That nearly gave me an attack, wew.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

May 9, 2020 10:34 PM

Apr 2018
I'm loving this so far because of it's realism. I'm relieved that Chika didnt fell inlove again with Uozomi like those harem bs animes also same with that photographer guy
May 9, 2020 10:50 PM

Oct 2012
I don't think I have words for this episode. My absolute favorite by far so far. I was in love with Yuzuhara through the whole episode, and when she said the "I just want to be liked" line I realized no one else could top her in Yesterday wo Utatte for me.

I know, I know. Changing waifus is bad. I love Haru and all. But Yuzuhara showed up, and she's just... Magnificent. I don't even know. Just everything about her. I wanna love her, and I also identify with her. Something like it. She's beautiful, deep, incredible. I guess I'm love struck or something.

Aside from the absolute goddess we got to know this episode, Shinako was pretty lovely and likeable too. The fact that she never dated anyone and her talking with the teachers/thinking about how she's using Uozumi whenever he is convenient/getting mad because of best girl Yuzukara...

Jesus, perfect episode.

Marty_McFlew said:

T-that was a thermometer
May 9, 2020 10:59 PM

Oct 2019
Shinako and nonaka reaction is gold haha, yuzuhara is an interesting character. Hope she come back later on this series
May 9, 2020 10:59 PM

Jul 2014
I'm pretty damn sick of how the sniffles knocks Japanese people unconscious and makes them bedridden. This needs to go the way of blood spurting out their nose any time they see an attractive girl.
May 9, 2020 11:39 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
I loved Uozumi final quote "you're so selfish." It may have made some sense from his perspective, but from our perspective, Chika's leaving was anything but selfish. Moments like that where we can see an event from different people's perspectives and find the contradictions are just so interesting. It's the true heart of real-life drama.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
May 10, 2020 2:57 AM

May 2019
Everything going great.Minor appearances of acquaintances of our main characters really add up to the story and makes it easier to reflect on the MCs from a individual perspective rather than their direct conversations.Still one thing is problematic,Haru.I don't why I am not able to connect with her.Her forcing herself onto the Rikuo really irritates and I am able to see her as a important character.There is no backstory yet about why she likes the MC
May 10, 2020 3:15 AM
May 2014
As much as I like Shinako, Chika is a more interesting character for someone who is probably only appearing in this one episode to never return. Good development for Shinako to sort out her own feelings.
May 10, 2020 3:25 AM
Mar 2019
I honestly want to see a lot more of Yuzuhara. I was worried she would be gone when he got back.. sadly my fears were right. Hoping she's not just a one off character, and will be around more, because she's already one of my favorite characters and I love their dynamic
May 10, 2020 3:45 AM

Mar 2018
This is probably my favorite episode yet. Chika is such a great character and I hope we get to see more of her. And I think it was necessary for someone to stir the emotions a little and make Shinako realize her own feelings.
May 10, 2020 5:37 AM
Apr 2018
Ship Rikuo - Chika
May 10, 2020 5:44 AM

Mar 2008
After six episodes people should had already understood that this isn't the type of story where the characters exist just to please the viewer.

Sokah said:
I'm pretty damn sick of how the sniffles knocks Japanese people unconscious and makes them bedridden. This needs to go the way of blood spurting out their nose any time they see an attractive girl.

I laughed when "the joke fell flat".
This still happens in recent anime? And did this ever had "a bit of truth"?

Spaceship said:

I wish that was an analog thermometer.

herrickluk said:

One thing I hate that he’s doing though is saying to Haru, “What does it matter to you, anyway?” whenever she finds out about him with another woman. Whatever happens I hope Haru gets a good route, she’s still by far my favourite character and romantic interest for Rikuo.

Like Haru already said one time before, he could say things a bit nicer, but this is the way he is and talks, and he isn't wrong. Just like Shinako have no obligation of being forced into a relationship with Rikuo, he too have no obligations with Haru. He is already doing a lot allowing her to stay around, but only because she said that she didn't cared if she "lost", being the second, seeing he with other woman. It's her fault is she can't take it, it's Haru being immatureacting angry like that. She is younger than them and less experienced and it shows in these moments.
May 10, 2020 6:12 AM

May 2015
I-i wouldn't mind. Yea...sure. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 10, 2020 6:22 AM

Aug 2008
This episode was more comedy than slice of life. Rikuo is looking more and more like a romcom harem protagonist and new girl was immediately more likable than all of characters introduced so far. Seems like this show will be a disappointment. Can't expect a gut punching realism any more.
Ii tenki desu ne...
May 10, 2020 6:30 AM

Oct 2016
I really liked the episode, the art and the animation was top notch too. It was also cool to see that compilation in the ED pretty great episode.
May 10, 2020 7:05 AM

Apr 2012
Oh nooo I really loved this new girl and she left the story way too soon :( Shinako should decide already because she's messing with Rikuo's head at this point and it makes me angry... Although I hope he will end up with Haru
May 10, 2020 7:31 AM

Aug 2017
I'll wait for another episode, but I've gotta say that the few last episodes have been very, very disappointing.
This is not how you write a good romance. You don't throw new romantic rivals (or figures that attain to that role) every episode until the main cast realizes their feelings. You don't advance the romance with coincidences, plot devices, and conveniences. How fucking times the cast has already met 'purely randomly' while walking on the street every episode? Not only it isn't credible in any way, but even if it was for some convenient narrative purpose, you do *not* do that in a romance. It's a cheap technique to throw drama or the usual 'hey! i'm jealous and furious! that must mean i love him/her!' that Yesterday wo Utatte seems to love so much.
And you know what makes angry? That all the characters by themselves *are* good, they're realistic, their dynamics are compelling and believable. Chika and Rikuo's dialogues were fantastic, as well as Minato and Haru's. But the author, plain obviously, makes them interact with others solely to advance the main romance.
Also, you don't need to tell me that the series has interesting reflections or whatever, I know what I watched. The main romance remains a shitshow.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that this episode had one of the best chara acting Yesterday had to offer yet. Truly a pleasure to watch.
May 10, 2020 8:44 AM

Dec 2019
This episode was pretty good man. Yuzuhara is by far way more interesting and less childish compared to Shinako and Haru but unfortunately I don't think she'll show up any sooner.

This episode was hilarious, it was really funny seeing Shinako and Haru getting jealous lol. I really hope that Shinako stops acting like a bitch, she's so childish and immature that I can't help but to dislike her, she is stuck in her past and doesn't want to move on but she also doesn't want Rikuo to move on as well. I really hope she gets properly developed, but I mean same goes to Rikuo and Haru.

The art in this show is astonishing as always. Now I do hope the story starts to develop, that's why I'll be looking forward to the next episode.
May 10, 2020 8:53 AM

Feb 2019
I really liked Chika. She was an interesting character, and I just really like seeing her and watching her.

So if last episode forced Rikuo to confront and assess his feelings, this episode does the same with Shinako. This episode really lets us see that Shinako herself may have feelings for Rikuo and that she's beginning to realise how she's been treating him i.e. convenient and a backup. She really had no reason to be that angry over finding a girl staying with Rikuo... if she didn't have feelings for him. Glad there's some movement on the Shinako side.

Shinako's and Haru's faces when Chika opened the door were gold lol

Damn, Chika is gone too, huh? I guess she decided she didn't want to cause more trouble and misunderstanding for Rikuo and decided to just up and leave. Sad when she did though. Really liked her. She was cool and interesting. Wish we could see more of her later in the series!
May 10, 2020 9:49 AM

Apr 2019
Dang, and here I though we wouldn't get to see Yuzuhara.

I really liked this weeks episode, I found it a bit more comedic than previous episodes which was nice.

Seeing Haru and Shinako's reaction to seeing Yuzuhara in Rikuo's apartment was hilarious.

Also it was really cool to see each episode's ED come together to make a giant board.
May 10, 2020 9:52 AM
Nov 2019
Am i the only who just doesn't like shinako, im in love with the entire show but its just her that puts me off, i dont wanna seem to negative
May 10, 2020 10:34 AM

May 2018

So Rikou's ex High school girlfriend, Chika Mizuhara, appears, kinda ironic that she was once a gifted achiver back in her high school days with rikou and now she a THOT.

Now, I wonder, why would Shinako say that she simply has a crush on Rou's late big brother in front of her drunken colleagues , when in reality they were lovers???
May 10, 2020 10:35 AM
May 2017
Can't wait for the next episode
May 10, 2020 11:54 AM

Mar 2016
Whelp the format of this episode is practically the same as last week's episode.

Former high school friends moves in on a main character's life, Former friend sticks around and talks about romance from back then and claims he/she's moving on, former friend then gets abruptly and leaves without much impact to the story.

Yea, not much more to take away from here considering everyone wants to bring up the subject of romance as a means to break away from their "yesterday". Except that's not how it really works conveniently even in reality.
May 10, 2020 12:52 PM

Feb 2014
I know that this show is serious and all, but it has a way of catching me off-guard when it sneaks in some funny moments. Case in point is the reaction faces of Shinako and Haru after seeing a women they haven't seen before answering the door of Rikuo's apartment. It had me laughing for nearly a minute. XD

Honestly, this episode was really good. Chika's first appearance was sudden, but like with most of the other users above me, in the short time she was here in this episode, she quickly rose up to being one of my favourite characters of this show.

She too has faults of her own and she used to date Rikuo back in high school, but I like the way that she's so frank and honest about her faults and how she's doing her best to move on with her life. I do hope she appears again soon, as she's really sweet. ^_^

As for the other two, Shinako was in the right place at the right time later on to hear more from Chika and was able to put that earlier misunderstanding behind her. The same can't be said for Haru, though. Not only did she get pissed about it, but when she demanded answers from Rikuo about it, his answer led her to throw a temper tantrum.

I still like her a lot, but you can easily tell how immature Haru was in this scene, since she's still around 18-19 years old. What Rikuo told her, saying that "It's none of your business." was on the harsh side, but he was telling the truth, after all. Despite that, I hope Haru can forgive him for this. I want to see a happy Haru once more! =3

Lastly, the ED's animation was a little different as it zoomed out to show the whole chalkboard, showing the six animated postcards showcasing the moment from episode 1 - 6 so far. That was honestly a really nice touch to have that change. =)
May 10, 2020 1:25 PM

Jan 2016
Ugh I can't seem to chose which character I like more

I wish Yuzuharara had stayed a bit long because I really liked her, but at the same time it's nice to see 2 characters (last episode and this episode) introduced as "rivals" but they do their thing and are out of the show without overstaying their visit.

May 10, 2020 2:26 PM

Nov 2013
PaninaManina said:
After six episodes people should had already understood that this isn't the type of story where the characters exist just to please the viewer.

Sokah said:

Spaceship said:

I wish that was an analog thermometer.

herrickluk said:

Like Haru already said one time before, he could say things a bit nicer, but this is the way he is and talks, and he isn't wrong. Just like Shinako have no obligation of being forced into a relationship with Rikuo, he too have no obligations with Haru. He is already doing a lot allowing her to stay around, but only because she said that she didn't cared if she "lost", being the second, seeing he with other woman. It's her fault is she can't take it, it's Haru being immatureacting angry like that. She is younger than them and less experienced and it shows in these moments.

You're not giving Haru enough credit here. Yes she overreacted but she has every right to feel that way considering Rikuo knows exactly 'why it matters' to her. It's not just that he could say things nicer, but Haru has been completely transparent about her feelings and he's making light of it with his response, knowing full well the weight of his words. Not only Haru, but Rikuo himself is also immature by not taking Haru and Haru's feelings seriously, especially because he should understand kataomoi better than anyone considering him and Shinako.
I agree that they both have no obligation to one another but as this anime has shown, their relationship is more complicated than it seems as they both care about one another, but won't admit it at this point in time.
May 10, 2020 3:30 PM

Mar 2008
herrickluk said:

You're not giving Haru enough credit here. Yes she overreacted but she has every right to feel that way considering Rikuo knows exactly 'why it matters' to her. It's not just that he could say things nicer, but Haru has been completely transparent about her feelings and he's making light of it with his response, knowing full well the weight of his words. Not only Haru, but Rikuo himself is also immature by not taking Haru and Haru's feelings seriously, especially because he should understand kataomoi better than anyone considering him and Shinako.
I agree that they both have no obligation to one another but as this anime has shown, their relationship is more complicated than it seems as they both care about one another, but won't admit it at this point in time.

Then, because Haru likes Rikuo he can't be involved with other woman? Even Shinako?
If anyone still have any doubts about this rewatched the scene. Haru went to him to ask "how he dared to allow other woman in his house" as much as to know what was the situation. This is already bad, because imply that Rikuo should had informed her and was doing wrong in "hiding" Chika from her. Of couse not because it's none of her business.
Then they sit and he explains. There's a little time jump here, because we don't need to her Rikuo explaining, just know that he explained to Haru.
What she does next?
"I still don't like it! Tell her to leave!", is what she says, demanding that he does her will. More, she insists and starts accusing him of liking her and implying that he wants Chika there because he is liking her "romantically". It's not true but Rikuo have all the right if it was true and it's none of her business.
Oh yeah, other thing that may also be important, in the english subtitle Rikuo says "what does it matter to you" but in other languages he says "it's none of your business". "Daitai, omaeni kankeinai darou?" This "kankei/関係" means "unrelated". In other words, IT'S NONE OF HER BUSINESS and "Rikuo did nothing wrong!".

Haru is trying but she is with the wrong impression that she will get the results she desires just because she is doing something.
May 10, 2020 5:09 PM

Apr 2020
puruprendo said:
I'll wait for another episode, but I've gotta say that the few last episodes have been very, very disappointing.
This is not how you write a good romance. You don't throw new romantic rivals (or figures that attain to that role) every episode until the main cast realizes their feelings. You don't advance the romance with coincidences, plot devices, and conveniences. How fucking times the cast has already met 'purely randomly' while walking on the street every episode? Not only it isn't credible in any way, but even if it was for some convenient narrative purpose, you do *not* do that in a romance. It's a cheap technique to throw drama or the usual 'hey! i'm jealous and furious! that must mean i love him/her!' that Yesterday wo Utatte seems to love so much.
And you know what makes angry? That all the characters by themselves *are* good, they're realistic, their dynamics are compelling and believable. Chika and Rikuo's dialogues were fantastic, as well as Minato and Haru's. But the author, plain obviously, makes them interact with others solely to advance the main romance.
Also, you don't need to tell me that the series has interesting reflections or whatever, I know what I watched. The main romance remains a shitshow.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that this episode had one of the best chara acting Yesterday had to offer yet. Truly a pleasure to watch.

I agree, it's been six episodes and the last time there was any significant romantic development in the main casts volition (Haru being stood up in a date) was three episodes ago (three weeks ago). Even if I love this show and I love these side-characters, there is a point where the audience gets frustrated because of the lack of progression within the main cast itself. The three has been largely the same for the last 6 episodes (maybe except for Shinako) and quite frankly, I'm dying for something to progress character-wise. I hope the focus from the semi-episodic delivery would be changed next episode, because if it's the only thing the anime offers, it would be a shame to drop this series because it had such a good start.

Ryuseishun said:
Whelp the format of this episode is practically the same as last week's episode.

Former high school friends moves in on a main character's life, Former friend sticks around and talks about romance from back then and claims he/she's moving on, former friend then gets abruptly and leaves without much impact to the story.

Yea, not much more to take away from here considering everyone wants to bring up the subject of romance as a means to break away from their "yesterday". Except that's not how it really works conveniently even in reality.

I agree, a romantic partner is not the end-all be-all means to move on, but simplification of what happened in 5-6 is just a shallow way to view things. Minato's (previous one-shot character) delivery was vastly different to Yuzuhara's delivery. While Minato made a last hurrah before leaving, Yuzuhara left because she didn't really belong. Minato's intent was to realize his feelings to Haru, Yuzuhara was there because Rikuo is convenient i.e, nice guy, lives alone. They represent very real people, but for the story yeah I agree with you they don't progress the story much. They seem more like OVAs than something that belongs to the main series.

But there isn't any situation on this show yet that emphasizes that romance is the way to break free from "yesterday" or whatever that means. Rikuo has been more or less focused on his photography side-job and he is troubled if he wants to make it a full-time one. Shinako has been trying to move on from her unrequited love in more ways than one. Haru's an oddball. Sure the show focuses more on adult romantic aspects, but never did it communicate that romance is the key out of the mess they're in.
May 10, 2020 5:30 PM

Nov 2013
PaninaManina said:
herrickluk said:

Then, because Haru likes Rikuo he can't be involved with other woman? Even Shinako?
If anyone still have any doubts about this rewatched the scene. Haru went to him to ask "how he dared to allow other woman in his house" as much as to know what was the situation. This is already bad, because imply that Rikuo should had informed her and was doing wrong in "hiding" Chika from her. Of couse not because it's none of her business.
Then they sit and he explains. There's a little time jump here, because we don't need to her Rikuo explaining, just know that he explained to Haru.
What she does next?
"I still don't like it! Tell her to leave!", is what she says, demanding that he does her will. More, she insists and starts accusing him of liking her and implying that he wants Chika there because he is liking her "romantically". It's not true but Rikuo have all the right if it was true and it's none of her business.
Oh yeah, other thing that may also be important, in the english subtitle Rikuo says "what does it matter to you" but in other languages he says "it's none of your business". "Daitai, omaeni kankeinai darou?" This "kankei/関係" means "unrelated". In other words, IT'S NONE OF HER BUSINESS and "Rikuo did nothing wrong!".

Haru is trying but she is with the wrong impression that she will get the results she desires just because she is doing something.

Did I say he can’t get involved with other women?
Rikuo is in the wrong as well.
He said the one thing he really should not have said. He needs to understand that his words carry a lot of weight. Rikuo knows Haru likes him, and also knows that him saying “It’s none of her business.”/“What does it matter to you anyway?” would rub Haru the wrong way, BUT he says it anyways knowing full well her feelings would be hurt. He lacks delicacy, and perhaps he doesn’t fully understand why she likes him so he makes light of her feelings.
Haru acted emotionally for sure, but Rikuo also should have chosen his words more carefully. As I said before, their relationship is complicated and they both aren’t perfect. Which makes it that much more engaging.
May 10, 2020 9:50 PM
Mar 2015
Our boy is just too nice
May 10, 2020 10:47 PM

Jan 2011
this episode was cursed due to harem shenanigans lol i still loved it new girl was great even though i realized she was a catalyst just like the dude from last week to shake things up.

also i don't know if yesterday was on the list of done shows but if they are still working on it with covid going on this episode on the animation department needs some praise it looked wonderful like that shot of Rikuo's EX sitting at the window
May 10, 2020 11:20 PM

Jan 2008
Sweanime said:
Funny how a minor character can be more interresting then two main girl.

Count me in. I'm hoping we'll see Chika again later, because she's already better than Shinako and Haru combined.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
May 11, 2020 12:10 AM

Jul 2016
Marty_McFlew said:

Quite sure it's a digital thermometer. If they wanted things to get spicy, they could have made Rikuo sleep with his ex instead of going with the "joking, it's just a fever" route.
May 11, 2020 12:36 AM

Jul 2016
Eh... I don't really know what he has but damn, I want what Rikuo uses to have women raining over him.

Another mediocre-to-decent episode overall. Basically, the same formula from last week was used here but instead of having Rikuo acting like a jealous teenager, it was Shinako's turn. Not gonna lie, the narrative was awfully predictable but hopefully, this cliche situation will help her finally realize she needs to move on and start doing... something.

Also, the addition of more comedy situations with MC not being able to control his sudden harem as if this show were a high-school rom-com was quite lame but thankfully, Yuzuhara's character introspection managed to make up for those "hilarious" moments.

Anyways, now I wonder if next episode will feature another character but from Shinako's past or the plot will finally start moving forward at a more constant pace. We'll see.

P.S. I: Though they were drunk, seeing the other teachers making fun of Shinako for being a pure maiden was kinda mean.

P.S.II: I know I can't really label them as "cliche" since the source material is from 1997 but dear lord, what a handful of cliche situations this series' narrative relies on.
SouthRzVaMay 11, 2020 12:43 AM
May 11, 2020 5:06 AM

May 2015
Meh. I don't like how they overreacted without knowing anything, besides, none of them has the right to be angry. He can do whatever he wants and even find a new girlfriend, he doesn't owe anything to them just because he confessed to Shinako and Haru confessed to him.

By the way, I liked Chika, she seems really nice, pity she's also so understanding, they seemed to be pretty comfortable living and eating together.

I hope we'll move on with the plot next time with already introduced characters, not another new one.
May 11, 2020 5:34 AM

Mar 2008
herrickluk said:

He said the one thing he really should not have said. He needs to understand that his words carry a lot of weight. Rikuo knows Haru likes him, and also knows that him saying “It’s none of her business.”/“What does it matter to you anyway?” would rub Haru the wrong way, BUT he says it anyways knowing full well her feelings would be hurt. He lacks delicacy, and perhaps he doesn’t fully understand why she likes him so he makes light of her feelings.
Haru acted emotionally for sure, but Rikuo also should have chosen his words more carefully. As I said before, their relationship is complicated and they both aren’t perfect. Which makes it that much more engaging.

He could, but he shouldn't.
Don't forget, Haru is there uninvited. Just because you likes someone does not give you the right to invite yourself into that someone's life and it belongs to you.
Every episode he remembers that of this, and Haru only gets worse, more possessive with time. She believes that passing time with he will won him over time but her behavior is not helping.
May 11, 2020 5:59 AM

Feb 2020
Another week and another episode of Yesterday wo Utatte, or should I say: my favorite series of the season ..

This week we continue a bit with the theme of the previous episode: jealousy and misunderstandings and Oh my god: now not only Haru but Shinako is also jealous and that only means one thing:
Uozumi is in trouble and must explain.

Each time the true feelings of each character are better discovered and this only gets better and better!

Waiting for the next one !!
May 11, 2020 7:36 AM
Jan 2019
I haven't read the book

Will we see Yuzuhara again?
May 11, 2020 7:57 AM

Nov 2013
PaninaManina said:
herrickluk said:

He could, but he shouldn't.
Don't forget, Haru is there uninvited. Just because you likes someone does not give you the right to invite yourself into that someone's life and it belongs to you.
Every episode he remembers that of this, and Haru only gets worse, more possessive with time. She believes that passing time with he will won him over time but her behavior is not helping.

You’re grossly downplaying Haru as a character. I disagree with your opinion that Rikuo is not in the wrong as well, whereas all the blame is pinned on Haru. If you’ve noticed throughout the episodes, Rikuo has a problem with confronting issues that are hard for him, in fact he shrinks away from them.
He did it this episode when he avoided confronting Haru and ran away until she found him, he did it before when he never confessed to Shinako during school, he did when he never found a job after school. You’re making it sound like Haru is acting out of character but she isn’t. A relationship goes two ways, he’s avoiding confrontation and shrinking away from it, and Haru is the only one making an effort. You’re basing your entire view on Haru based on her emotional outburst from this episode which is incredibly shortsighted, while you downplay how little effort Rikuo has put in their complicated relationship. Haru is the only one trying to communicate, albeit she acted emotionally which is understandable.
You also totally forgot that Haru is the one who put herself out there and said to Rikuo she wanted him to know more about her in the previous episodes. They obviously care about each other or else he wouldn’t care to hide from her this episode, but he’s making no effort at all.
He could and he should.
May 11, 2020 8:28 AM

Apr 2020
Ten said:
Meh. I don't like how they overreacted without knowing anything, besides, none of them has the right to be angry. He can do whatever he wants and even find a new girlfriend, he doesn't owe anything to them just because he confessed to Shinako and Haru confessed to him.

By the way, I liked Chika, she seems really nice, pity she's also so understanding, they seemed to be pretty comfortable living and eating together.

I hope we'll move on with the plot next time with already introduced characters, not another new one.

I don't know about you, but in conservative countries i.e 90's Japan is quite conservative. Usually, a man and woman living under the same roof is considered obscene and implies a relationship that is often more than "friends". Although yes, they had overreacted a bit, and have no right to hold a grudge against our main protagonist, but it's not like they're complete strangers; it's a kind of a betrayal of perception is that what gets the duos.
May 11, 2020 9:35 AM

Mar 2008
herrickluk said:

You’re grossly downplaying Haru as a character. I disagree with your opinion that Rikuo is not in the wrong as well, whereas all the blame is pinned on Haru. If you’ve noticed throughout the episodes, Rikuo has a problem with confronting issues that are hard for him, in fact he shrinks away from them.
He did it this episode when he avoided confronting Haru and ran away until she found him, he did it before when he never confessed to Shinako during school, he did when he never found a job after school. You’re making it sound like Haru is acting out of character but she isn’t. A relationship goes two ways, he’s avoiding confrontation and shrinking away from it, and Haru is the only one making an effort. You’re basing your entire view on Haru based on her emotional outburst from this episode which is incredibly shortsighted, while you downplay how little effort Rikuo has put in their complicated relationship. Haru is the only one trying to communicate, albeit she acted emotionally which is understandable.
You also totally forgot that Haru is the one who put herself out there and said to Rikuo she wanted him to know more about her in the previous episodes. They obviously care about each other or else he wouldn’t care to hide from her this episode, but he’s making no effort at all.
He could and he should.

I didn't said that Haru was "acting out of character", Haru acting as expected from her is part of her problem.
Yes, Rikuo hid from her, but did you see how she entered the store already screaming? After they they sat to talk. This still wasn't enough for her and in the end she resorted to violence, no wonder that after one year of knowing her he now knows her well enough to know when to hide.

And dude, you're doing the same, tryin to twist all the faults to Rikuo.
Yes, Rikuo didn't confessed to Shinako when they studied together, he had not enough confidence and he could feel that she would reject him, that she would reject anyone. This happens, it's common, a story of the past to be remembered when old... But they meet again and he confessed to her. He was rejected, but Shinako gave him the opportunity to insist, and he is insisting. Rikuo is fighting for Shinako. Did you already forget the beginning of the episode? The niddle of the episode? The end of the episode? The previous episodes? Did you not see how they're meeting regularly for months now? There's this thing going on between Rikuo and Shinako and like you said, Haru "put herself out there", meaning that she forced herself in the middle their relationship to try to break it. Haru have not rights to complain because he isn't getting the attention she wants, that Rikuo is interacting and giving his attention to other people, not honoring her world that she expected nothing in return.
Rikuo did nothing wrong, it's just Haru that is unable to cope with her helpless situation.

This isn't much different from Shinako situation and all the criticism part of the public gives to her.
She owns nothing to Rikuo or Rou, they have no right to demand that she responds to their feelings. At least not for now.
PaninaManinaMay 11, 2020 8:09 PM
May 11, 2020 11:26 AM

Nov 2013
PaninaManina said:
herrickluk said:

He could and he should.

I didn't said that Haru was "acting out of character", Haru acting as expected from her is part of her problem.
Yes, Rikuo hid from her, but did you see how she entered the store already screaming? After they they sat to talk. This still wasn't enough for her and in the end she resorted to violence, no wonder that after one year of knowing her he now knows her well enough to know when to hide.

And dude, you're doing the same, tryin to twist all the faults to Rikuo.
Yes, Rikuo didn't confessed to Shinako when they studied together, he had not enough confidence and he could feel that she would reject him, that she would reject anyone. This happens, it's common, a story of the past to be remembered when old... But they meet again and he confessed to her. He was rejected, but Shinako gave him the opportunity to insist, and he is insisting. Rikuo is fighting for Shinako. Did you already forget the beginning of the episode? The niddle of the episode? The end of the episode? The previous episodes? Did you not see how they're meeting regularly for months now? There's this thing going on between Rikuo and Shinako and like you said, Haru "put herself out there", meaning that she forced herself in the middle their relationship to try to break it. Haru have not rights to complain because he isn't getting the attention she wants, that Rikuo is interacting and giving his attention to other people, not honoring her world that she expected nothing in return.
Rikuo did nothing wrong, it's just Haru that is unable to cope with her helpless situation.

This isn't much different from Shinako situation and all the criticism part of the public gives to her.
She owns nothing to Rikuo or Rou, they have no right to demand that she responds to their feelings. At least not for now.

Reread my past argument, I did no such thing. I clearly stated that both “Rikuo and Haru are not perfect.” You are the only one who keeps insisting that Rikuo did nothing wrong and pinning it all on Haru. The only reason I’m mentioning Rikuo is because you are in denial over his fault as a character.
Rewatch episode 3. Rikuo never once rejected Haru, even after she confessed to him. In fact, he agreed to go on a movie with her afterwards, despite it being awfully suggestive, and yet when Haru acts emotional, it’s all her fault? Rikuo is at fault too for not clearly turning her down and giving her hope.

Both characters are at fault. Haru is at fault for acting emotionally despite it only being a misunderstanding, and Rikuo is at fault too for not clearly turning Haru down in Ep3 and his lack of conviction giving Haru hope, which causes her to act emotionally like she did this episode. He also lacks delicacy despite Haru being in the exact same circumstance that Rikuo is in with Shinako.

Again you’re too focused on this episode alone and are being completely dismissive of the development of their relationship.

> “...she forced herself in the middle their relationship to try to break it.”

Did you forget that Haru is the sole reason that Shinako even went to see him at the convenience store? Rewatch the episode, Haru is the one who pulled her by the hand to see him because Shinako was reluctant to. If she was so intent on breaking up their relationship, why would she go out of her way to try and help them? Your arguments don’t make sense.
Haru for sure acted emotionally as I’ve stated before, but she is not as selfish as your comments allude to. She wants a fair contest between Shinako or else she would have visited Rikuo by herself instead of telling Shinako to come as well.
If you still can’t see that, I have nothing left to say.

> “ Did you not see how they're meeting regularly for months now?”

Rewatch the episode. You’re mistaken, they only met once, stop trying to twist the story. Rikuo is only familiar with fixing her machine because “she had him do it every time she moved in school.” In school aka in the past, not now. Don’t believe me, watch the 6:15 . Even Shinako questions that she’s only relying on him when it’s convenient. She’s giving Rikuo hope in the same way Rikuo gives Haru hope. Stop trying to make their relationship sound like it’s already developed/ a couple
herricklukMay 11, 2020 11:44 AM
May 11, 2020 12:58 PM

Mar 2019
Finally a good episode after the 2 meh last episodes, The new girl is soo interesting tbh, more than our main heroine characters themselves lul. I hope she appears later tho !
May 11, 2020 12:59 PM

Mar 2019
Junchi said:
Sweanime said:
Funny how a minor character can be more interresting then two main girl.

Count me in. I'm hoping we'll see Chika again later, because she's already better than Shinako and Haru combined.

Count me too ! I really loved her !
May 11, 2020 1:05 PM
Jul 2014
PaninaManina said:

Sokah said:

I think it's more of a commentary on a very different reaction to sickness in Japan. Though keep in mind that 'sniffle' could easily be influenza too. But more real, different cultures do react. Do they 'need' to be in bed? Maybe not. But they do because they take illnesses a bit more seriously, and in their much more densely populated country than almost the entire rest of the world, that's important too. Stay away from people, get better quickly so you can get back to school or work.
May 11, 2020 1:07 PM

Feb 2016
Another week, another episode where a character walks in, does it's shit, and then walks away. Not a fan of this "writing" if you can ever consider this writing at all.

I swear, Rikou must be mentally retarded or something, I swear, I haven't seen someone as stupid as he is since a long time. Glad he got punished for being a blatant imbecile. His sorry ass wouldn't last a single day if he was the MC of School Days... lmao, suddenly the feeling of School Days being better than this doesn't feel too extreme.

Xelecus said:
Junchi said:

Count me too ! I really loved her !

Make that three, so sad that this anime likes to introduces way better characters to dispose them right after they get introduced.
CrimsonWandererMay 11, 2020 1:13 PM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

447 by TsutanaiFuun »»
May 24, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2020

292 by Fumikko »»
Jun 28, 2023 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.