Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 18, 2020 7:31 AM

May 2019
The pacing of this episode was really fast; it almost felt like a highlight reel instead of an episode of a narrative.

I wonder what'll happen now; I'm interested to see what Erina says when she wakes up lmao.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Apr 18, 2020 7:41 AM

Jun 2013
fast pacing intensifies
Apr 18, 2020 7:54 AM

Dec 2015
Another great episode. I wonder when it will get bad. Since manga fans said it will be the worst arc.

I really like Megumi. (Yeah, more screentime for her.) Felt bad when I saw her only getting 10th in elite ten. The theme of the preliminaries being soup ... I already hoped "hey she is from a fisher village, fish soup might be a good thing to get points" ... then when she served together with Yukihira and they delayed the judges reaction on her food ... I knew it that she'd bee in the top 3.

Didn't expext her to be 1st though. She was lucky I guess. (The announcers at the beginning already talked about luck.) I hoped for Akira to be with them as well - instead of Aldini.

Also: Nice reactoins to the food again. (Nikumi as military general.) And the old judge guy again. I liked him. Nice that he was back even if it only was for this episode.
Apr 18, 2020 7:58 AM
Mar 2019
a nice episode for me. Yeah i know this arc is not needed anymore, but i still enjoy watching the whole squad cook. And megumin never fails to amaze me and make me laugh XD
I love K-On, and so should you.

Apr 18, 2020 8:08 AM
Jan 2020
Wtf was that???? The pace was in fast forward, the motivation was non-existant. This is a show i don't read manga for so I don't know how it went down in the manga. But this was hard to watch. The reason this show is enjoyable is the build up. The moments to breathe during each dish. The process, the clever cooking method, the chef's personal triumph. Instead this episode was reused footage, and non-stop reactions. 0 payoff. I get they want to get to blue. And i get they want this to be the end, but at least try to make it work. This sucks.
Apr 18, 2020 8:20 AM
Mar 2016
Metallica_Nero said:
Also as soon as Tadakoro was announced to be the first place I lost all interest in continuing the episode lol seems like the author was trying so hard here.

I think that competition was actually anime original. Iirc, there was no competition for the three places for Blue in the manga. It just looks like a bad try to save something that can't be saved anymore, because the only way to save the ending somewhat would've been to just cut out the entire final arc.
Apr 18, 2020 8:25 AM
Jan 2020
TheEnhancedExe said:
Metallica_Nero said:
Also as soon as Tadakoro was announced to be the first place I lost all interest in continuing the episode lol seems like the author was trying so hard here.

I think that competition was actually anime original. Iirc, there was no competition for the three places for Blue in the manga. It just looks like a bad try to save something that can't be saved anymore, because the only way to save the ending somewhat would've been to just cut out the entire final arc.

If the plot was in such shambles why didn't they take a year or two to story board and rework it to give the show a unique ending. This show has a good following and will support a final season. It's like they did a cost benefit analysis and said "Our fans will watch whatever trash we put out". LN shows do that all the time, rework story elements to better suit the medium. Why can't this show do that. Yeah, it's great to get the season 12 weeks later, but if it is going to be bad then what is the point?
Apr 18, 2020 8:56 AM

Nov 2015
the foodgasm scenes were so fucking stupid as usual but still pretty funny

I'm so damn happy for Megumi, seeing her getting first place in the prelim almost made me shed tears of joy, she has grown so much since the first season, they used to look down on her and was about to get expelled twice, but she still fought hard and even made it to the elite ten now

also, that Suzuki-sensei looks like a decent plot device to me, so I'm hoping he makes Souma realize what he's truly feeling for Erina and stop being such an asexual wimp, tho from what I've heard from manga readers, it wasn't well handled
Apr 18, 2020 9:17 AM
Feb 2010
This anime has gone even more full yu gi oh with this one.
Apr 18, 2020 10:01 AM
The White Hope

Dec 2015
It was pretty obvious that Megumi had to be the #1 after they haven't shown her food presentation before announcing the top 3.

~Mirror, tell me something~
Apr 18, 2020 10:06 AM

Jan 2013
Pirate chef is so useless with his gag courses that sounds like utter poop. His dishes would be best against Somas nastiest concoctions.

Aldini - cheese and tomatoes, cheese and tomatoes. thats all he can cook

Tadokoro - sympathy vote, still useless.

All aboard to the ensuing train wreck. Choo Choooo

PS whats up with this sister/brother fantasies in Japan? Dat der be som hillbilly luv
VoooApr 18, 2020 10:18 AM
Apr 18, 2020 10:19 AM
Mar 2016
kingsole111 said:
If the plot was in such shambles why didn't they take a year or two to story board and rework it to give the show a unique ending.

The studio is J.C. Staff, that's why. The best way to describe that studio is "quantity over quality". They're working on so many anime at once that most anime they release have below average animation. That is also why there is a meme of Food Wars being called "Slideshow: The Anime", because it's mostly just static images being moves around instead of actual animation.

J.C. Staff mostly just copied the manga panel by panel, so it's a miracle that they even added anime original scenes to try and alter the arc. Just that adding anime original scenes can't repair an arc that was already shambles to begin with.

kingsole111 said:
This show has a good following and will support a final season. It's like they did a cost benefit analysis and said "Our fans will watch whatever trash we put out".

I'm guessing that might be why. Though then again, it has mainly a good following in the west, while in Japan more people read manga. And the manga sales crashed so hard during this arc that the last three volumes sold worse than the second volume at the same time after release. Basically, sales went down from more than 450k at one point to around 180k per volume. Only volume 1 sold worse in the first 3-4 weeks than the last three volumes.

I'm very surprised that they even made Season 4 and Season 5. It might be J.C. Staffs mentality to just throw it out there anyways since they seem to prefer quantity over quality.

kingsole111 said:
LN shows do that all the time, rework story elements to better suit the medium. Why can't this show do that. Yeah, it's great to get the season 12 weeks later, but if it is going to be bad then what is the point?

I've seen other studios do that for manga, though it doesn't happen as often as for LN shows because manga can get easier adapted into anime than LNs. The manga panels basically serve as kind of a story board for the anime that only needs to be altered. So there's a lot less effort involved than if you adapt a LN because apart from the characters, you don't have all the visuals yet. Also, LNs usually have a ton more content, so they have to cut some of it.
Apr 18, 2020 10:38 AM

Feb 2014
For someone that's ahead in this arc in the manga, I was surprised to see even more changes in this episode. Honestly, I think this worked pretty well here.

Unlike in the manga, where Soma, Takumi and Megumi got invitations from the BLUE competition itself, this was a complete free-for-all battle with all of the past judges from seasons past in order to see who deserves to take part in the BLUE competition.

There're many foodgasms and reactions, both new and ones used before, which gave a nice nostalgic feeling to this. They're too many soup dishes to count that I really want to try myself! X3

The results were more surprisingly, though. Soma only got 3rd, while Takumi FINALLY won against him by finishing 2nd, and he didn't waste time in gloating about it!

However, the biggest, and most welcome, surprise of all was that Megumi won the BLUE prelims outright. Considering the amount of setbacks and narrow defeats that she's suffered, which in the latter case made the fanbase a little pissed, it's about god damn time that she won something big like this. I couldn't help but smile and clap at her well deserved victory. ^_^

Suzuki didn't waste anytime in showing his true colours and Soma and Megumi. He wants to make Erina his and his alone, so he challenged Soma to a shokugeki. Sadly, thanks to a certain virus, we'll have to wait at least 3-4 weeks before the next episode airs, if things go to plan. =(
Apr 18, 2020 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
A bowl of jalapeño soup sounds intriguing and terrifying at the same time. Not sure if I would like to try one or run away.

Anyway Tadokoro and Aldini ftw.
Apr 18, 2020 1:12 PM
Jan 2020
Manga readers: Wow JC Staff added so much. You can tell they're trying their hardest to improve this arc.

Anime only watchers: Wow I can't believe they rushed through this entire arc. It should've been 4-5 episodes. OMG is JC Staff even trying?
Apr 18, 2020 2:35 PM

Apr 2017
Lmao, this is so bad.
cunnysseur
Apr 18, 2020 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
Short_Circut said:
ok wow...starting to see what people were on about lol. Does that mean the whole purpose of this series is effectively over now lmao? Like Soma's been going through all that work just to finally beat his dada and all it takes is one villain to insta knock him out though.
Oh dont worry, thats just 1 egrigious decision in a line of them, but yeah this chump fundamentally upends the entire point of the manga.

Denickart said:
Manga readers: Wow JC Staff added so much. You can tell they're trying their hardest to improve this arc.

Anime only watchers: Wow I can't believe they rushed through this entire arc. It should've been 4-5 episodes. OMG is JC Staff even trying?
Be kind to them, they have no idea how shit things actually are with this trainwreck. Let it sink in that this ep was actually an improvement over the manga thats how awful things are.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 18, 2020 3:37 PM
Jan 2013
Haha, yeah, that was pretty bland, especially in contrast with the previous seasons.
From what I can gather, this is going to be a depiction of a disastriously lame arc that shouldn't have been made in general.
Maybe that would've been for the best, really.
Many people are/will be disappointed.
On the flip side, the people who love the show no matter what can still get their fill.
So here's to hoping the anime will be somewhat improved upon the source material, in this case. I'd be a shame to drop this season.
Apr 18, 2020 3:58 PM

May 2019
Wow. All that recycled animation.
It hurts when you've binged the entire series just beforehand.

I started watching SnS for the food, not the romance. Feels like that's gonna be the opposite of the anime's dedication, in this final season.
Apr 18, 2020 6:11 PM

Jan 2018
i hope that the anime gives more food details than this did, (and what the manga is supposed to give). This episode was very fast, and i am not sure that they tried very hard in making the mystery of who be joichirou, pretty simple comparing how they dress and the episode number flash at the start does make it fairly obvious. plus there is the random person now interested in souma. I will love foodwars to the end, but i am fearing the anime will be doing little reworking and the show peaked last season.
Apr 18, 2020 8:23 PM

Apr 2018
Foodgasm is real in this ep lol. Low key knew Megumi was gonna be first even tho it looked like she had plain fish balls.
Apr 19, 2020 12:44 AM
Oct 2019
just to let u know that yuki morosaki went on maternity leave around this arc (Morisaki is the brains of all the recipes used in the series.The series officially lists her as a "collaborator").
Apr 19, 2020 3:02 AM

Oct 2018
this season is going to be fast..
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Apr 19, 2020 5:15 AM

Oct 2015
Since iam not reading the manga and hearing all the stuff i truly hope, atleast the anime side with try to salvage this trainwreck as much as possible cuz this series definitly deserves better, probably wont change much the middle part but atleast provide a better ending then G_G ....
Apr 19, 2020 5:35 AM
Jun 2019
I expected too much after that decent first episode. They have gone back to abandoning the story and focusing on a compilation of quick paced food orgasms.
Apr 19, 2020 5:45 AM
Jun 2019
Not sure how I am supposed to feel after watching the 1st seat lose to the 7th and 10th seats.
Tsukasa would never lose to anyone that low in the rankings.
Apr 19, 2020 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
I read and was really disappointed, but expected more from the anime. I can clearly tell that this season is going to be shit.
Apr 19, 2020 9:42 AM
Mar 2019
Not bad, mini hype for the next episode battle...
Apr 19, 2020 12:19 PM
Aug 2019
I mean we can see the studio wanna go past the manga bullshit so the Jouchiro lose was dismissed really fast. I hoped they will move away from manga but nah. Im dropping it while I still enjoy the memory of a time I spend on watching the show.
Apr 19, 2020 12:43 PM

Mar 2016
And now the things I was dreading are happening. Jouichirou losing out of no where just like that is complete bullshit. You've spent so much time making a character whos shown as unbeatable and then you ruin it with 5 seconds.
Apr 19, 2020 3:53 PM
Dec 2019
I can't express how much I hate this episode.
The whole competition was a compilation of foodgasms, nicknames and the animations of them and reactions we ALREADY SAW. And I know, there only so many reactions we could get, but COME ON! At least properly animate them and don't just slap on the food on a plate as censorship. That's not what I love about this show! Take more time and do it properly. We can live without the anime for more than a couple seasons if it means we get a better season.
The whole competition was so rushed, not done well and just a garbage episode, it was just a reintroduction that I didn't want or need.
There were a couple good scenes like the Golden Diner Yukihira with a bunch of naked Gin Dōjimas and the Dig in with Yukihira and Megumi, that was cute, I'll give them that.
My prediction for who is gonna go compete in BLUE was Yukihira (because mc is obviously going and probably winning), Megumi (because best girl) and Aldini (because of his rivalry with Yukihira). AND GUESS WHAT! Yeah I'm kinda proud of guessing all three. Though I didn't expect the order, I honestly thought Megumi would pull another "oh I barely made it, wooo best girl" like she usually does but nah, they started making her a proper, dangerous and amazing chef. So I was happy about that.

Now about the main antagonist. I hate him. So, so much. And not even for his intentions or way of doing things. No, just as a character.
His motivation of making Nakiri his wife is pretty dumb to me and made me yell out "simp" at the screen. Plus, Megumi brings up a great point, she isn't even out of school. She's like 16 or something and Asahi is 19. But age is just a number, you can be a director of the school you're going to in this anime so who am I to question someone's love. Also he reminds me a lot of Erina's father, Azami Nakiri so I'm just making an assumption that they're gonna be connected somehow. This anime is pretty good at making the families look like they share genetics so I'm confident in saying that Asahi is blood related to Azami and in turn Erina which is gonna give this whole "I'm taking Erina's hand in marriage" thing a whole lot more complicated and taboo if I'm right.

The ending didn't get me that excited about their friendly shokugeki, even though there's nothing friendly about it. The part with Erina hearing them and passing out was amusing but I think poorly handled, like a lot of this episode.

It's a real shame that I'm not excited for this season because I LOVE Shokugeki no Soma so much, and I was feeling excited about the new season.. until I watched the first and second episode. I will watch the whole thing because I just wanna know what happens and to see what the whole (stupid) deal is with that new guy and what the manga readers were saying.

Oh and don't even get me started on Joichiro loosing completely out of nowhere!! That shit pissed me off.
Lime_ZestApr 19, 2020 4:13 PM
Apr 19, 2020 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting episode... So Souma's dad lost, hope we'll get more details on that soon.
And wow! Megumin took 1st place! wow! She deserved it.

And that ending...i wonder what Erina will say when she will wake up xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 20, 2020 1:15 AM
Feb 2020
As much as I love Food Wars this isn't looking good, the new teacher Suzuki is clearly trying to use the God Tongue for himself this comes just after Erina's father tried to do the same thing and that story line went far too long.

I would have liked them to do something more original or have just ended it after season four which would have been a pretty good finish although to be honest I think Food Wars probably peaked with Season Two and the Autumn elections.
Apr 20, 2020 7:45 AM
Apr 2016
tbh , quite love the change with small tournament instead of "here you , you and you got random invite" of the manga.

Lets hope they will change it up like this with the rest of the arc
Apr 20, 2020 11:44 AM

May 2016
Yes Suzuki han please take her and have great life.

and make this girl shine more.

Apr 20, 2020 1:02 PM

Feb 2018
Megumi succeeding like that was a long time coming. I really enjoyed that!
Even though the episode was EXTREMELY fast paced & chaotic, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mostly because........any episode in a TV series/chapter in a book/etc. that mentions šaltibarščiai (the subtitles did not use these characters to spell it correctly) or the pink cold Lithuanian beetroot soup is SPLENDID, just beautiful xD
Apr 20, 2020 1:09 PM

Dec 2018
Megumi best girl, Erina is a bitch.

Erina x Soma shippers make me sad.

I guess some people really do just go for looks and not personality =/
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Apr 20, 2020 6:51 PM
Dec 2016
I haven't read the manga but something feels off with this season.I have a bad feeling and I don't like where this is going.The worst part is Joichiro losing to a shokugeki which destroyed one of the most important elements of the series(Joichiro being unbeatable).Joichiro should lose from Soma for his first time and not from some random weird looking villain.I always thought the series leading towards Soma getting to the top and defeating his unbeatable dad while he finds a woman to devote all his cooking to(and her being Erina) like his father said to him.Am I wrong? Isn't that the whole purpose of the series?
Apr 20, 2020 8:25 PM

Dec 2013
The first half felt a lil rushed but I really liked how they highlighted all the Polar Star members. I get bad vibes from Suzuki, very, very bad vibes.

P. S. CONGRATS TADOKORO!
Apr 21, 2020 7:15 AM
Apr 2020
This episode was unexpected. Saiba lost? I knew Soma and Erina would end up together. I wish Isami came in instead of Takumi.
Apr 21, 2020 7:35 AM

Nov 2016
Hokage_Jason said:
Megumi best girl, Erina is a bitch.

Erina x Soma shippers make me sad.

I guess some people really do just go for looks and not personality =/

Both are good looking, one is rather hot with status, the other cute and easy to approach I would say

Disregarding status

Erina for ons

Megumi for ltr

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 2020 12:49 PM

Feb 2015
Watching this final series of food wars will be like watching your favourite pub burn to the ground.
First 15 mins were a blur, it felt very rushed.
Apr 21, 2020 4:06 PM

Jul 2013
I don't know man but those dishes don't look like soup to me lol. But I'm glad Tadokoro's time to shine has come. And look this is really obvious but this new "villain" with Lelouch's voice is again somehow connected to Soma's dad and again, also gunning for Erina, seeing a weird pattern here.
Apr 22, 2020 7:09 AM
Sep 2018
I think the start of this fifth season is really good. and Congrats to Megumi !
Apr 23, 2020 3:02 AM
Apr 2020
yup! starting to sink, to sink to the bottom of ocean. a competition regarding or the prize is woman where the protagonist most of the time strugling like an ant...daaaa maybe asian people love to get cuckolded or neterorare-ed but for real that is disgusting. there is billion people! for sake...before this i never think about erina for something like mate or spouse, i think souma in the future will get together with tadokoro but after this my mind become black...euuuhhh if only the protagonist not strugling like an ant maybe this continuation will be enjoyable....but sigh even at the end win it stilll unsightly if souma must strugling like an ant and most of all saki?sakaki? more charming than souma. ugh strugling at a game where from 10 categories you can only win one is not fun.
bleoknaApr 23, 2020 3:05 AM
Apr 23, 2020 7:47 AM
Mar 2020
That Ending ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Apr 23, 2020 9:30 AM
Mar 2015
Why would anyone want to marry Erina?
Apr 23, 2020 12:17 PM

May 2009
There is funny story with one fanartist who drew great SoumaxErina pieces but after this chapter happened she (I bet it's a woman) started drawing her with Asahi. I lot of rage happened.
Apr 24, 2020 7:48 AM

Jun 2019
NO....!! I want Erina to end with Souma.. Please..
Apr 25, 2020 3:55 AM
Oct 2019
Pre_Yum said:
NO....!! I want Erina to end with Souma.. Please..

watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-2vvBsXx1A

about the manga

ithyphallic60Jul 15, 2020 8:35 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

236 by duragon49 »»
Aug 30, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2020

84 by Danibola »»
Aug 4, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Syureria - Aug 7, 2020

99 by Danibola »»
Aug 4, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alphazero4um - Jul 24, 2020

82 by Weebleez »»
Jul 18, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2020

73 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 30, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.