Forum Settings
Forums

Why are most anime lackluster compared to modern TV shows?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 13, 2018 10:28 AM

Aug 2017
this is some very poor bait, im dissapointed
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 10:43 AM

Dec 2017
Ahh yes the,"My subjective opinion is that western tv shows are better at writing and shit." Your treating a subjective opinion like an objective one. I mean walking dead isn't even that good and would put it near bnha levels of boring and retardedness.
I feel like I have been baited so I must stop here.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 13, 2018 10:45 AM

Dec 2017
OmegaSwampert said:
teruu said:

Then one must ask the fundamental question, why are anime fans like this?

It does not sound healthy.

Agreed. I can't speak for most people, but my reasons as an individual vary. Sometimes I watch a series that I'm unsure about the quality of, and it ends up bad. Sometimes I watch a series knowing it's bad, because it's easier to learn from failures than from successes, or sometimes just to have fun picking it apart. Sometimes I'm just curious about what went so wrong to cause such poor reception. And in one really odd case, I got my brother to watch Sound! Euphonium in exchange for me being required to watch Eromanga-sensei.

Meanwhile, said brother, for reasons that I can't comprehend, feels the drive to never drop any series, regardless of how bad it is.

In the case of general anime fans, perhaps the combination of an emphasis on critical reviews in certain corners of the community, the convenience of a handy list that keeps track of everything they've watched, and the added convenience of a database containing information of virtually every anime in existence may play a part in that sort of mentality.
This has to be a troll. (30 characters)
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
Mar 13, 2018 10:46 AM

Nov 2014
Wow, this is the worst thread I've seen in quite some time. Can we just respect media for what it is and move on? Why do we have to constantly compare apples to oranges and pretend there's more to it than personal preference?
Mar 13, 2018 10:49 AM

Dec 2017
abhutrash said:
Wow, this is the worst thread I've seen in quite some time. Can we just respect media for what it is and move on? Why do we have to constantly compare apples to oranges and pretend there's more to it than personal preference?
Wow!! Someone that has a brain in this entire forum. I thank you for knowing what your typimg.
Mar 13, 2018 10:52 AM

Apr 2012
ten said:

It depends on a story, I guess. For long running shows with episodic route having more authors can be refreshing, but if the story needs to be told as a whole then this approach can become troublesome, especially when producers are more worried with ratings and prolonging to another season.

The "individuals or pairs of people" principle applies to whatever the stories are. So in non-serialised television where every episode is an individual story, then you want individuals or pairs of people writing each episode, because those are the stories, it's not a desire for individuals or pairs of people to be writing the show as a whole.
Mar 13, 2018 11:36 AM

Mar 2016
Well this is still more subjective than factual....I honestly found anime more entertaining than modern TV shows...like even the lackluster ones I found still more entertaining than the average cartoons I see nowadays. In the end, it's really based on one's preference. Saying anime is lackluster compared to modern TV shows is something I actually kinda laughed at more than actually agreed with.
Mar 13, 2018 11:58 AM

Feb 2015
Okay so 1... Walking Dead is shit...

2... It's a very multilayered and complicated subject but to more or less sum it up it's a matter of these things:

-U.S entertainment industry is far more advanced
-Japan is a bit xenophobic in it's entertainment industries; not accepting much foreign help until somewhat recently, but even then it's not much. Meanwhile the U.S has no bounds in terms of foreigners
-Lack of funding, U.S has endless funding for entertainment
-Cultural differences
-The issue of cash-grabbing and popularity fear leading to improper writing: Also related to the money issue
-Overall much younger and less developed entertainment industry. The Japanese make amateurish mistakes that reflect their industries development. The lack of advancement is primarily due to lack of any source to teach them (though they aren't really making themselves open either), lack of money to support advancement and now a decreasing population leading to a decrease in workforce
Mar 13, 2018 11:59 AM

Feb 2015
abhutrash said:

We're discussing quality. There's nothing wrong in that ..

It seems like you can't take any criticism on beloved anime. Grow up lol!
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:00 PM

Nov 2008
HILARIOUS joke. Do tell us another. :'D

Mar 13, 2018 12:02 PM

Feb 2015
Nyah_Chan said:

2... It's a very multilayered and complicated subject but to more or less sum it up it's a matter of these things:

-Japan is a bit xenophobic in it's entertainment industries; not accepting much foreign help until somewhat recently, but even then it's not much. Meanwhile the U.S has no bounds in terms of foreigners
-Cultural differences
-The issue of cash-grabbing and popularity fear leading to improper writing: Also related to the money issue
-Overall much younger and less developed entertainment industry. The Japanese make amateurish mistakes that reflect their industries development. The lack of advancement is primarily due to lack of any source to teach them (though they aren't really making themselves open either), lack of money to support advancement and now a decreasing population leading to a decrease in workforce

Great reply and great answers.

Why do you think a Japanese based medium is attracting and leading to the otaku movement? What is so appealing about anime when it is off far lesser quality compared to modern TV shows. And why is their quality not being improved

Surely if there is lack of funding, being innovative could improve upon that situation.
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:05 PM

Nov 2008
teruu said:
What is so appealing about anime when it is off far lesser quality compared to modern TV shows.

The thing is, it isn't. That's how YOU feel and you are in the minority. Modern TV pretty much sucks. All the good shit was in the 90s. :/

Mar 13, 2018 12:05 PM

Feb 2015
oryouohagi said:
Walking Dead? Really? Really? (笑)

Don't worry, I know you are trolling, I mean, comparing AMC shows to anime is absurd in itself, of course you are trolling haha
(笑)(笑)(笑)(笑)(笑)(笑)
BTW the plotline of walking dead and breaking bad were both too childish for me.
I mean, at least most anime do not even try to take themselves serously, as compared to american shows in which at least 2 of the 3 has to be in order to be consumed by the evil americans:
-sex
-violence (lots)
-swearing
So NOPE

Anime tends to be far more childish. Did you ever notice that?
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:07 PM

Sep 2017
I think the walking dead is garbage and while i enjoyed breaking bad, I can't really remember anything from it.

It's called having personal opinions, not everybody will see eye to eye on something, so this entire post is meaningless(or bait but i honestly can't tell anymore)
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
Mar 13, 2018 12:08 PM

Feb 2015
logopolis said:
ten said:
TV shows are usually written by several people, and the best ideas are picked in the process,

That process leads to worthless soulless conformism. You don't get the best ideas, you get the most mainstream ones. All the best stories are written by individuals or pairs of people, that applies to live-action television just as surely as anywhere else.

Anime usually written by one person still doesn't mean much. Its the plot. The adaptation can easily screw up, as can character development. To date, most anime have not even narrowly catched up with the superior writing of tv shows. Although I am saying this, this is wrong of me to fully say as these mediums have several differences pointed out by others. Regardless to say, the west does a better job at producing good quality entertainment

It is unfortunate to say this but anime has many unhealthy levels to it. Once they are toward the obsession they will watch anything as long as it fits 'anime'. I do not fully understand it but there are a lot of people consumed by it. This is far less in people who watch TV shows. Tv shows are actually a lot more generic and anime tends to be stigmatized along with its viewers.
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:08 PM

Nov 2008
teruu said:

If you mean "appeals to a wider demographic than edgy 13-year-old boys", yes, we have noticed that. :p

Mar 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Aug 2010
teruu said:
oryouohagi said:
Walking Dead? Really? Really? (笑)

Don't worry, I know you are trolling, I mean, comparing AMC shows to anime is absurd in itself, of course you are trolling haha
(笑)(笑)(笑)(笑)(笑)(笑)
BTW the plotline of walking dead and breaking bad were both too childish for me.
I mean, at least most anime do not even try to take themselves serously, as compared to american shows in which at least 2 of the 3 has to be in order to be consumed by the evil americans:
-sex
-violence (lots)
-swearing
So NOPE

That's what I said, including how anime at least does not take itself seriously
Mar 13, 2018 12:12 PM

Oct 2017
I don't know man, this is very opinionated, because the walking dead bores me to death (along with just about every other tv show that gets cranked out). I wouldn't just write this off as some sort of fact cause I'd take anime over tv shows any day.

Edit: If you find anime childish(and that's not your thing) then your watching the wrong anime my friend.
Mar 13, 2018 12:12 PM

Feb 2015
Chiibi said:
teruu said:

If you mean "appeals to a wider demographic than edgy 13-year-old boys", yes, we have noticed that. :p

I mean I know as an anime fan, why would you want your hobby/obsession to be scrutinized by a fellow stranger.

But anime tends to have a lot of childish moments in its character development and plot. It is one of the reason that deranges the story telling. This does not mean no jokes. Simply that anime has to step up if it wants to make a huge hit. So far only the old anime that had innovative writers good at their job rose to the top: Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Astroboy.

The new anime have been lackluster especially as their goal is just to leech money out of an already successful market.
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:14 PM
Jul 2017
logopolis said:
I've read descriptions of Breaking Bad, and I don't understand why any human being would want to watch something like that.

In general, live-action American television is virtually never any good in my experience. British live-action is better due to its theatrical background, but as good as stuff like some of the Plays for Today, I Clavdivs, Sapphire and Steel or McCoy or Eccleston era Doctor Who are, put them against something like Utena or Shinsekai Yori and there's no contest. Animation is a better storytelling format than live-action, and anime is where you see this fact repeatedly proven.

I'd advise you not to judge a show based on the synopsis and instead actually watch it without preconceived judgements going in.
Mar 13, 2018 12:14 PM

Jun 2015
I'm not sure what you expect us to say here. Why are you telling us to examine your personal preferences for you?
Mar 13, 2018 12:15 PM
Sep 2014
To put it simply OP, because you like (what you consider the best) western TV show, more than (what you consider the best) anime. Everyone has different views, some people will like anime more, and some like you will like other forms of TV shows. Neither is objectively better than the other.
Mar 13, 2018 12:19 PM

Feb 2015
helionaut said:
To put it simply OP, because you like (what you consider the best) western TV show, more than (what you consider the best) anime. Everyone has different views, some people will like anime more, and some like you will like other forms of TV shows. Neither is objectively better than the other.

I am discussing quality and only quality. I admit I put generic personal preferences there but end point stands
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:19 PM

Nov 2008
teruu said:
I mean I know as an anime fan, why would you want your hobby/obsession to be scrutinized by a fellow stranger.

Anime fans are widely accepted where I live. None of this "scrutinizing" nonsense.

But anime tends to have a lot of childish moments in its character development and plot. It is one of the reason that deranges the story telling.

I disagree.

The new anime have been lackluster especially as their goal is just to leech money out of an already successful market.

Again, totally disagree.

Mar 13, 2018 12:20 PM

Feb 2015
Chiibi said:
teruu said:

Anime fans are widely accepted where I live. None of this "scrutinizing" nonsense.

But anime tends to have a lot of childish moments in its character development and plot. It is one of the reason that deranges the story telling.

I disagree.

Again, totally disagree.

[quote]Almost every anime post 2008 takes place around a group of teenagers in high school, or a gild or a clan or some other bs.

The obligatory hot spring.

obligatory tsundere.

obligatory festival.

obligatory whiny brooding kid.

obligatory badass dude who should be the protagonist but isn't for some reason.

Obligatory boob grab

Obligatory friendship speech accompanied by piano music

Obligatory character sits next to the window

[/
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:26 PM
Jul 2017
I think one of the reasons why a lot of anime fans have a disconnect with western TV (myself included) is because of the length. Breaking Bad is over 60 hours long. That's a 180 episode anime and I'm personally normally averse to watching shows of that length. I preferred Breaking Bad slightly to Steins;Gate but I'd rather re-watch Steins;Gate cos it wouldn't take nearly as long.

Another reason is one of the reasons people watch anime. Art & animation. Its much more pleasing to the eye (mine at least) because we see the real world all the time. Animation can more easily depict imaginative worlds and characters whereas it would seem silly in live-action because it would be more difficult to immerse yourself in such an unrealistic world in a show that should be bound by reality.

I think films get away with this, mainly because of the budget and how short they are. TV shows seem to try and fit in too much instead of having a point like films and anime/cartoons therefore feel like they drag along.
Mar 13, 2018 12:26 PM

Nov 2008
[quote=teruu message=54338004]
Chiibi said:
teruu said:

I disagree.

Again, totally disagree.

Almost every anime post 2008 takes place around a group of teenagers in high school, or a gild or a clan or some other bs.

obligatory tsundere.

obligatory festival.

Obligatory boob grab

Stop watching ecchi harem series then, how about? Your ignorance astounds me.

Mar 13, 2018 12:35 PM

Feb 2015
space_cowboy37 said:
I think one of the reasons why a lot of anime fans have a disconnect with western TV (myself included) is because of the length. Breaking Bad is over 60 hours long. That's a 180 episode anime and I'm personally normally averse to watching shows of that length. I preferred Breaking Bad slightly to Steins;Gate but I'd rather re-watch Steins;Gate cos it wouldn't take nearly as long.

Another reason is one of the reasons people watch anime. Art & animation. Its much more pleasing to the eye (mine at least) because we see the real world all the time. Animation can more easily depict imaginative worlds and characters whereas it would seem silly in live-action because it would be more difficult to immerse yourself in such an unrealistic world in a show that should be bound by reality.

I think films get away with this, mainly because of the budget and how short they are. TV shows seem to try and fit in too much instead of having a point like films and anime/cartoons therefore feel like they drag along.

Hmm Are you using anime for escapism?
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 12:37 PM

Feb 2015
teruu said:
Nyah_Chan said:

-Cultural differences

Great reply and great answers.

Why do you think a Japanese based medium is attracting and leading to the otaku movement? What is so appealing about anime when it is off far lesser quality compared to modern TV shows. And why is their quality not being improved

Surely if there is lack of funding, being innovative could improve upon that situation.

Like I mentioned it's an extremely multilayered issue that branches off many other issues...
What do you mean by Otaku movement? Because the definition is degrading, but a varies from person to person

As for the appeal... Each medium holds different strengths and weaknesses... The strengths are what attract people to it... In anime/manga's case it's the lack of boundaries, if you can draw it you can make it...
Unlike regular TV shows which are bound by the realm of human possibility and simply what is possible to make appealing with visual effects... This also stems into the issue of live-action films, as translation of mediums requires a lot of change to the original setup of the series being adapted...
For example, a series like One Piece can only exist in the realm of anime... Its characters, concepts, worlds and so on are something that can only exist in a draw form, as making that look appealing and realistic would not only cost a great deal but is almost near impossible... For something like One Piece to exist in the human realm it would have to be cut and changed to the point where it is only a husk of what it originally is... Hence why anime is the only place for things that exist outside the human realm can flourish

That is the main appeal to anime, it is something different that can go past the bounds of regular entertainment... There's also the concept of escapism from society, anime is not performed by actors, it's purely nonhuman... So for those who struggle in society it offers an escape from anything that is considered human... The same goes for regular comics and cartoons, the whole idea of introverted shut-ins seems to primarily exist in things that are nonhuman based...

As you mentioned, anime is on the tower tier of quality standards... As mentioned before this is primarily due to lack of acceptance of foreign influence and funding... I believe if Japan opened its doors to help from the U.S, in which the U.S is very eager, the industry would more or less be the complete opposite of what it is now... We'd lose all the amateur mistakes, quality standards go up and we'd see more well adapted series and series that don't lie within all the anime tropes... The current problem here is that the good to bad series ratio is far to lop sided... In the U.S the amount of bad shows is far less than that of good shows, but in anime the ratio of bad shows exceeds that of the good ones...
The main issue is the lack of improvement, the same mistakes are made again and again, without change... The cause is a purely profit based mentality and quantity over quality foundation... They focus more on numbers in hopes of profit rather than compiling the funding into one great thing... Even though time and time again they are shown that quality is the way, with anime like Shingeki no Kyojin, Boku no Hero Academia, One Punch Man and so on, that brought so much fame and money to the industry... But yet again they make the same mistakes...

This is primarily fear based, with so little wiggle room and a decreasing population, they bunker down with one formula and use it again and again to the point that it's ruined... There is no gain without risk... So sadly they will continue the downwards spiral unless they start taking risks... Innovation is key as you said but that always has risk factor...

The U.S entertainment industry has come to far because it has failed so many times and learned from said mistakes but also never put on bound on creation in terms of if someone had a good idea, no matter where they were from or how old they were, they would support that idea... But Japan is in ways still xenophobic... They're stuck to their own ideas which is destroying them, expansion is key to creation, only so many ideas can come out of one place... Everyone thinks that allowing foreign influence with ruin anime and/or take it over completely when in fact Japan holds the rights... Such as Netflix, they rarely actually produce their own stuff, they just fund those with good ideas, they can do the same and are willing to do so with anime... They see the potential but Japan is being stingy

Also relating to foreign issues, catering to the audience... Japan purely caters to it's own people, it never takes in the ideas or criticism of any other nation... When in fact foreigners make up a bigger percent of watchers than the Japanese... And as the nation ages from lack in birthrates, this will become even more true...

You can view Japan's entertainment industry as a young teen who doesn't want to listen to the adults (U.S) and keeps making the same mistakes... They will only learn once they truly suffer from it... The industry hasn't reached rock bottom yet but if these trends continue it surely will within the coming decade...

Like I said it's a very multilayered issue, this is only a fraction/overview of the primary causes
Mar 13, 2018 12:57 PM
Jul 2017
teruu said:
space_cowboy37 said:

Hmm Are you using anime for escapism?

Nope. I will admit that I find Ghibli films are perfect for escapism as well as some music but not the rest of the medium. Most of my favourite films are very down to earth and somewhat realistic (Ikiru, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Goodwill Hunting, Lost in Translation, Cool hand Luke, etc.) I watch anime to find art I love. And by art, I don't just mean drawings and animation, I do also mean great writing, interesting characters and a solid plot with an accompanying soundtrack that fits the show. So in my opinion, anime includes things I love that I cant find in western TV as well as not being overly long (in most cases).

While I can appreciate the directorial aspect of Breaking Bad and its execution, its just too long for me. One of the only shows I've seen that I would hold up to my favourite anime (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, NGE, etc.) would be the first season of True Detective, and each season of TD is a self contained story of 8 episodes I think. Equivalent to a standard 24 episode anime! So while I do prefer anime, what I mean is that I hold mediocre anime higher than mediocre TV (for animation and time reasons) but that doesn't mean I cant appreciate, what I would consider, a masterpiece of art in general such as True Detective. No western TV show I have seen anywhere near compares (to Season 1 ofc).
Mar 13, 2018 1:32 PM

Jan 2018
Why don't you stop watching bad Anime. And the majority of American shows aren't even that good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Psycho Pass, Elfen Lied (which was the main influence for Stranger Things), FMA:BA, Death Note, Monster, Darker Than Black, Attack On Titan, Cowboy Bebop and Fate Zero are as good as any hour long drama. Hell, HBO was going to do a live action Monster. Cowboy Bebop is getting a live action series. Attack On Titan has been compared to Breaking Bad and I actually believe that it has better writing.

There are some great Anime shows that on par with the top American shows. But, for some reason a lot of people here force themselves to watch the bad stuff.

And, c'om, I won't even watch TWD.
Mar 13, 2018 1:37 PM

Jun 2017
Oh, someone finally told the truth about Death Note, except its not the greatest anime but the greatest TV show of all time

Mar 13, 2018 1:39 PM
Jul 2015
teruu said:
It seems that modern TV shows like The walking dead, Breaking Bad are far higher tier than even the greatest anime created. As a fan of Death Note which I was highly impressed by, still does not come close in even the plot. There were far too many loopholes to be exploited and it seems that anime border to the 'silly' line with all the big eyes, the exaggerated emotions and such. Is this the reason?

As a top comment on r/anime beautifully states
Lackluster writing due to the lack of emphasis on quality in general in the industry. This is because anime is a promotional medium, rather than a creative/entertainment medium, to most of its creators. Because of this, we have enormous amounts of adaptations existing only to sell source material, which means we have a shortage of both original content and actual endings. All of these things combine to create an industry in which there is no incentive whatsoever for talented writers to work on original anime.

Furthermore there is an increase in anime plots such as when the MC falls in love with his sister or he goes to school is surrounded by bitches all over. To the average normal person, there is really not much appeal and it goes back to what I was saying when I mentioned silly. Anime can be silly more often than not. Even the best animes have silly plots at times. Is this something ingrained in anime to make it lackluster?

What exactly is the reason

Just like there are shitty tv series and good tv series, it's also the same for anime as well. Some anime series are amazingly brilliant - Drifters, Darker than Black, Parasyte - while others are just random crap - *insert name of generic harem romcom shit*

You can't just throw everything in the same pot
Mar 13, 2018 1:56 PM

Nov 2014
teruu said:
abhutrash said:

We're discussing quality. There's nothing wrong in that ..

It seems like you can't take any criticism on beloved anime. Grow up lol!
You aren't discussing quality, your generalizing mediums based off loose assumptions and limited experience. If you watched more 'modern TV shows' and more 'classic anime', you'd realize that quality varies greatly between shows and trying to lump all of a medium into one general category is childish.

I can understand being dissatisfied with the complacency of the anime industry, but you should probably try understanding the anime industry a little more before you start waving your opinions around like they're fact.
Mar 13, 2018 2:06 PM

Feb 2015
Stead said:
Because it's a medium that caters to social rejects who just want to gawk at girls and see pretty colors with the illusion of good stories where all you need to be considered great is to "deconstruct" or be "subversive" and get praised as the height of storytelling. But television is pretty shit too for different reasons.

Good answer to be honest. Why is television shit?
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 2:35 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
A) You're not watching enough bad television series.
B) Walking Dead isn't that good. Season 1 is good but anything after nah son.
Mar 13, 2018 2:51 PM
Jun 2015
It has to do with a combination of creative talent and lack of money.When the pinnacle of the professional anime writing community comes from Video games its not hard to see why anime is not as good as Western movies and television. Western media generally is way higher budget than Japanese Anime, even Movies that have horrible writing like Star Wars the Last Jedi will be better put together than your average anime because if you throw enough money into something something decent will come out of it.
Mar 13, 2018 4:17 PM

May 2009
teruu said:

It seems that modern TV shows like The walking dead, Breaking Bad are far higher tier than even the greatest anime created. As a fan of Death Note which I was highly impressed by, still does not come close in even the plot. There were far too many loopholes to be exploited and it seems that anime border to the 'silly' line with all the big eyes, the exaggerated emotions and such. Is this the reason?

Lackluster writing due to the lack of emphasis on quality in general in the industry. This is because anime is a promotional medium, rather than a creative/entertainment medium, to most of its creators. Because of this, we have enormous amounts of adaptations existing only to sell source material, which means we have a shortage of both original content and actual endings. All of these things combine to create an industry in which there is no incentive whatsoever for talented writers to work on original anime.

Furthermore there is an increase in anime plots such as when the MC falls in love with his sister or he goes to school is surrounded by bitches all over. To the average normal person, there is really not much appeal and it goes back to what I was saying when I mentioned silly. Anime can be silly more often than not. Even the best animes have silly plots at times. Is this something ingrained in anime to make it lackluster?

I think the "reason" is that you're basically looking selectively and (unintentionally) cherry-picking certain things to represent all of "anime" as a whole, which is actually a huge number of shows and even a huge variety of genres. Your post mentions Death Note, with its "big eyes" and "exaggerated emotions", and also "MC falls in love with his sister or he goes to school is surrounded by bitches all over", which means you just cited one show and one other genre -- that's like saying that books are badly written because Catch-22 isn't all that funny and there's been an increase in smutty novels where the MC is seduced by a really hot guy who's an asshole. Also, your line about how "the best animes have silly plots at times" suggests that you've mainly thinking about a number of more famous series that DO more prominently feature silliness and tend to generate memes.

I haven't seen The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, but there's no shortage of thoughtfully-written stories and/or stories that explore unusual concepts. A number of more serious drama or adventure stories that put emphasis on storytelling and characterization tend not to be as good at generating memorable individual moments that lead to memes or otherwise get many people chattering about stuff, so they don't stay in "fandom attention" as long.

But off the top of my head I can think of some stuff I've watched myself, such as:
* Allison & Lillia, which is an adventure story with not much in the way of silliness, but strongly revolves around the characters and their interactions with each other and with the setting
* Umi Monogatari, a show that works with and plays off magical girl tropes to tell a more mature story (that doesn't involve going needlessly grimdark like Madoka Magica), and is very focused on the relationships between the characters and the way they deal with each other
* Soukou no Strain, an intense sci-fi drama, which some people say contains to some extent a depiction of a person suffering from PTSD; there is one episode of silliness but it goes back to drama quickly
* Kyoukai no Kanata, an emotional romance drama with action elements, which may seem to start tropey but develops the characters rather thoroughly
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 13, 2018 4:32 PM

Feb 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
teruu said:

I think the "reason" is that you're basically looking selectively and (unintentionally) cherry-picking certain things to represent all of "anime" as a whole, which is actually a huge number of shows and even a huge variety of genres. Your post mentions Death Note, with its "big eyes" and "exaggerated emotions", and also "MC falls in love with his sister or he goes to school is surrounded by bitches all over", which means you just cited one show and one other genre -- that's like saying that books are badly written because Catch-22 isn't all that funny and there's been an increase in smutty novels where the MC is seduced by a really hot guy who's an asshole. Also, your line about how "the best animes have silly plots at times" suggests that you've mainly thinking about a number of more famous series that DO more prominently feature silliness and tend to generate memes.

I haven't seen The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, but there's no shortage of thoughtfully-written stories and/or stories that explore unusual concepts. A number of more serious drama or adventure stories that put emphasis on storytelling and characterization tend not to be as good at generating memorable individual moments that lead to memes or otherwise get many people chattering about stuff, so they don't stay in "fandom attention" as long.

But off the top of my head I can think of some stuff I've watched myself, such as:
* Allison & Lillia, which is an adventure story with not much in the way of silliness, but strongly revolves around the characters and their interactions with each other and with the setting
* Umi Monogatari, a show that works with and plays off magical girl tropes to tell a more mature story (that doesn't involve going needlessly grimdark like Madoka Magica), and is very focused on the relationships between the characters and the way they deal with each other
* Soukou no Strain, an intense sci-fi drama, which some people say contains to some extent a depiction of a person suffering from PTSD; there is one episode of silliness but it goes back to drama quickly
* Kyoukai no Kanata, an emotional romance drama with action elements, which may seem to start tropey but develops the characters rather thoroughly

Nope. Look at the broader picture, anime has built in flaws. I don't mean a particular one, but a set upon flaw. This flaw has become a cult like thing where everyone notices it but has no opinion over it.
Hello
Mar 13, 2018 4:37 PM

Feb 2015
I disagree with this, I think most modern TV shows are lackluster compared to anime. Modern TV shows suck.
Mar 13, 2018 4:53 PM

Oct 2014
teruu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Nope. Look at the broader picture, anime has built in flaws. I don't mean a particular one, but a set upon flaw. This flaw has become a cult like thing where everyone notices it but has no opinion over it.

Well what is this flaw then?

I already Posted about the Anime industries issues (Animators and safe playing).
Mar 13, 2018 4:58 PM
May 2017
Menzo- said:
You can't really compare anime to western tv shows though, they come from two completely different cultures. Whilst you and many other westerners may think of those examples as superior to anime, what about a Japanese perspective. Do you just assume that they think the same way as you? You're talking as if cultures don't play a part in this.

Are you implying that the Japanese like crap? that they like extremely repetitive, unimaginative trope-heavy silly bullshit?
They don't think the same way as westerners do, but not in the sense of what they like - rather, they are more prone to putting up with bullshit than the westerners, in many ways. tradition and conservatism are a big deal in Japanese culture, and that translates into their inability to speak up for what the average consumer actually wants from their entertainment media, so they end up with more of the same crap every year.
Mar 13, 2018 5:03 PM

Apr 2012
space_cowboy37 said:
I'd advise you not to judge a show based on the synopsis and instead actually watch it without preconceived judgements going in.

Isn't... telling you what sort of story this is going to be so people can decide whether they want to watch that kind of story... kind of what synopses are for?

In any case, I've given up on American live-action completely. The only things I ever found there which I actually have any enthusiasm for were The Addams Family, Police Squad, certain things about Buffy, and the first few episodes of Twin Peaks. That hit rate is way, way too low to bother continuing to sample things.
Mar 13, 2018 5:05 PM

May 2009
teruu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

1. What do you mean by "nope"? What part(s) of what I said are you contending is/are not the case?
2. What are these "built in flaws"? What does it mean for them to be "not a particular one, but a set upon flaw"?

I'd discuss whether "everyone" is "noticing it" and what their opinions are, but it's hard to do so without knowing what flaws it is you're referring to.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 13, 2018 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
people that say that anime is a promotional medium are 50% correct but should still evaluate their brain. i really hate it when someone says this.

i mean harry potter, although fully adapted(?) it took a lot of years to do it. were the movies not promoting the books?
Mar 13, 2018 6:11 PM

Dec 2017
space_cowboy37 said:

Nah dragon ball series spans over about like 300+ episodes long. No way in hell because of it's length.
Mar 13, 2018 6:13 PM

Dec 2017
[quote=Chiibi message=54338046]
teruu said:
Chiibi said:

I disagree.

Again, totally disagree.

Almost every anime post 2008 takes place around a group of teenagers in high school, or a gild or a clan or some other bs.

obligatory tsundere.

obligatory festival.

Obligatory boob grab

Stop watching ecchi harem series then, how about? Your ignorance astounds me.
Yeah it's apparent that the guy is just cherry picking stuff and ignoring the rest.
Botan-Chan45Mar 13, 2018 6:17 PM
Mar 13, 2018 6:17 PM

Dec 2017
commander31able said:
Menzo- said:
You can't really compare anime to western tv shows though, they come from two completely different cultures. Whilst you and many other westerners may think of those examples as superior to anime, what about a Japanese perspective. Do you just assume that they think the same way as you? You're talking as if cultures don't play a part in this.

Are you implying that the Japanese like crap? that they like extremely repetitive, unimaginative trope-heavy silly bullshit?
They don't think the same way as westerners do, but not in the sense of what they like - rather, they are more prone to putting up with bullshit than the westerners, in many ways. tradition and conservatism are a big deal in Japanese culture, and that translates into their inability to speak up for what the average consumer actually wants from their entertainment media, so they end up with more of the same crap every year.
So the other shows that you like or other shows you ignore like a blind bat. Plus the same "crap" is demanded not just put up. Supply and demand. Easy
Mar 13, 2018 6:32 PM

Dec 2017
And the op is still saying his subjective opinion is an objective fact. God "built in flaws". The fuck? We can say the same for western shows. @Nyah_Chan foreign "help" doesn't mean better quality automatically cause of foreign help and funding. Plus western seen as higher "quality" is still subjective point rather than an objective one.(Also their will still be shit like American tv shows like the apprentice, Baby Pagent, or etc even with this supposed help. Also pop. Doesn't mean shit when Japan is overpopulated.) once again use actual facts rather than,"oh bad show Japan has very low standards." Cause we do the same shit too. Just prettier.
Mar 13, 2018 9:55 PM

Dec 2017
Stead said:
Botan-Chan45 said:
And the op is still saying his subjective opinion is an objective fact. God "built in flaws". The fuck? We can say the same for western shows. @Nyah_Chan foreign "help" doesn't mean better quality automatically cause of foreign help and funding. Plus western seen as higher "quality" is still subjective point rather than an objective one.(Also their will still be shit like American tv shows like the apprentice, Baby Pagent, or etc even with this supposed help. Also pop. Doesn't mean shit when Japan is overpopulated.) once again use actual facts rather than,"oh bad show Japan has very low standards." Cause we do the same shit too. Just prettier.

This is a discussion about narrative mediums, there is no objectivity here. Duh. The closest you'll get to objectivity in a discussion like this is assessing how logical are the arguments people put up. Going "I-it's subjective!" Is a no brainer comment that's only used when someone doesn't like what someone said about something.
Did you skip the entire forum? The guy mostly types in a manner that makes it seem his opinion is objective. It's no use too since he still thinks his opinion is fact.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Are there any CONFIDENT flat/small chested anime girls?

Throwawayy1234 - 2 hours ago

15 by Throwawayy1234 »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Jun 15

55 by Guilmon1 »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7235 by corruptedblue »»
13 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - 3 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
25 minutes ago

» Smoking in anime

JoeChip - Yesterday

33 by Kruszer »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.