Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2017 1:13 PM
Aug 2015
Confused how to feel about this to be honest, has signs of it being a good and bad anime. Wouldn't say the first episode blew me away
Jul 2, 2017 1:25 PM
May 2009
Sokah said:
What a mix of terrible and fun. Will they ever address the horrible origin where he has taken over a 9 year old boy's body? I guess we're just supposed to assume the kid died in the wagon without a scratch on him and so the body was "free"? LOL, oh well, mecha and fantasy, lets see where this leads...

Eh no, he didn't posses the kid. Just comes to show how badly planned that scene was. In the original novel it was made clear that the MC reincarnated and was bored with his new life until he discovered that mecha exist in this fantasy world.
Jul 2, 2017 1:41 PM

Sep 2015
Probably gonna read the LN but dam this is actually getting good
Jul 2, 2017 1:45 PM
Apr 2016
It seems to be written like a turd, but I kinda like it lol. Edit: I wrote that before I was finished, now I am halfway in, and it is written like a turd of a turd

Also, why is the MC looking like a girl?
SurpuppaJul 2, 2017 1:50 PM
Jul 2, 2017 1:57 PM

Apr 2013
Actually... I would say this pace felt a bit more modest than when i read the novel. Since i had to imagine the scenes/fights by reading the novel... I'm pretty excited for whats to come.

Jul 2, 2017 2:00 PM

May 2015
I expected the MC to be a girl, but looks like he's actually a trap, lmao. I feel deceived. But yeah, this went pretty fast, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

OP by fhána is always nice, though.

Jul 2, 2017 2:03 PM

Oct 2014
I'm just going to hope that the later episodes are paced much slower.
Because this thing has so much potential
Jul 2, 2017 2:16 PM
Nov 2016
The god-awful editing.
And the pacing. There is bad pacing. There is terrible pacing.
And then there is pacing so bad that you can't care about a single thing that happens, because there are like, 20 scenes in 1 ep, and each of them last for like a minute.
The narrator is completely unnecessary.
None of the characters have any personality.
Dropped.
Jul 2, 2017 2:24 PM

Nov 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
The god-awful editing.
And the pacing. There is bad pacing. There is terrible pacing.
And then there is pacing so bad that you can't care about a single thing that happens, because there are like, 20 scenes in 1 ep, and each of them last for like a minute.
The narrator is completely unnecessary.
None of the characters have any personality.
Dropped.

Yes those were it's good points now how about balancing out your statement with the negatives too!

I am going to give this one more episode in the hope they decide to tell a story afterall it already has mecha.
Jul 2, 2017 2:26 PM
Nov 2015
they skip eru training with his friend.

a lot of skip scene about eru child time well ok. i think but why tho ?

hmm at least the animations is good and i like that.
redcobraJul 2, 2017 2:36 PM
Jul 2, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2016
what a letdown
adaptation felt rushed it's way too fast and lots of skipping
they could've at least make it into 2 or 3 episodes

as expected of 8bit
this remind me when grisaia aired

for now i'll just enjoy the anime
as it's only the 1st episode

Jul 2, 2017 2:58 PM
Jul 2017
Reminds me of desolate era
Jul 2, 2017 2:59 PM
Aug 2012
This felt more like a recap episode.
Mixed feelings about this pacing. Putting aside the light novel, compared to the manga, the anime overlooked so many details.
Nothing big, but in manga version before the MC died, as a programmer the MC didn't have glasses and his hair appeared shorter.
Wished his voice was slightly deeper.
Jul 2, 2017 3:00 PM

Nov 2014
Went in without knowing anything aside from what the page says about it, honestly i enjoyed the first episode, granted i can see how some people complain about the pacing but to me i don't care and was fine with it speeding it up because i rather not waste 3-5 episodes just to get older and for the story to get rolling.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Jul 2, 2017 3:17 PM

Dec 2010
I thought this was a lot better than I expected tbh. Not a fan of the trap MC though. Either just make him a girl or let him go through puberty.
Jul 2, 2017 3:21 PM

Apr 2016
I have very complicated feelings about this episode. It feels so damn rushed and refuses to calm down for even a minute. Wich is a waste because if you look at the manga version. They build up and up. Take it a little slow. Get to know our main character and his quirks. than build up to finally getting into that sweet ass mecha. But here I get the feeling like we wil see him in one in just episode two...

The animation is overal decent. the magic effects look amazing. the Silhouette knights how ever...very much less. Wich is bad considering they are kinda the focus point of our main and thus also the thing we should focus on.
Jul 2, 2017 4:35 PM

May 2017
I guess this will be yet another case of me enjoying the anime a lot more because I knew zero about the source material.

At first I was groaning about the overused trope of otaku-reborn-into-fantasy-world, but thankfully it began to establish its differences rather quickly. Instead we have Ern, a reincarnated otaku reborn into an Escaflowne-like world as a trap-worthy supergenius. I learned basic sums in grade school, Ern invented magical guns and already has groupies trailing him. Bro, slow down.

Enjoyable episode overall, 7/10 would feel insufficient again
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
Jul 2, 2017 4:40 PM

May 2008
This was a fantastic first episode. No lingering on character backstory; it got right to the point of what the show is about.

I enjoy watching people's favorites. Recommend your favorite show to me, even if I have it dropped/on hold.
Jul 2, 2017 5:02 PM

Dec 2016
I thought this was really good.

I'm not really into mech but magic I always seem to like.

I think I would love to be reincarnated into a world like that, especially if you get to keep your memories from a world like ours and with our technological advances, it's easy to see the advantage he has over everyone else.

Looking forward to this next episode.
Jul 2, 2017 5:17 PM

Feb 2008
so car san had his turn this time?

still this was way too fast. they went to the behemoth already on episode one? the whole step sister dynamic was handled rather clumsly. the manga's pacing is so much better a it give you time to kinda attach to the character. you get to meet the characters so fast that you hardly have time to form any opinion about any of them. maybe after episode one, they will go to a normal pace.
Jul 2, 2017 5:41 PM

Sep 2011
The writing was cringe-inducing in places and they didn't even try to hide that certain lines existed solely for exposition. The VA's voice did not match the appearance of the man at the beginning so I was a bit worried there. Despite all that was wrong with this episode I can't deny that I enjoyed it.
Jul 2, 2017 5:52 PM

May 2010
man they skipped some shit and rewrote part of the story?

he was supposed to meet stefania 3 years prior, they didn't show the addy kidnapping part, just went straight to the action...
Jul 2, 2017 6:25 PM

Jun 2010
It's too bad they had to ruin would could have been a neat Fantasy anime with shitty mech trash.
Jul 2, 2017 7:00 PM
Mar 2017
Chara in this anime in love it, strong and smart
Jul 2, 2017 7:43 PM

Aug 2012
5/5 I like it so far as I don't read the novel or manga so I don't really care about the fast-paced

First impression is.. Oh F! its Shinpachi voice(from gintama *I only like him from gintama)

Three years later then I heard Takahashi Rie but damn he's a boy! He's so cute tho..no homo!

So yeah entertaining wise its great (ignoring the cliche of fantasy world)

Jul 2, 2017 7:56 PM
Jan 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm...

Idk how to feel about the show so far. Is it just me or did it just get into the action and main story way too fast? Not that I mind but it felt like I got dumped right into the middle of the show.

I'm okay with the CGI and there's obvious mecha themes in this already.
Ernesti is cute as a kid though. We got some info dump on the technology and their world setting. I'll give this more episodes although first episode felt so-so to me. Going to take a little time for me to get used to Ernesti's character design. He looks like a girl...

That is some serious disinformation on the show.Most of the time is spent on introductions.

Jul 2, 2017 7:57 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, they pretty much ruined it for me, might as well drop the manga & forget the novel....
With the rushed episode, they turned this is into a super boring childish mary sue story, while on the manga he starts slowly being a mary sue, at least they took their time & actualy showed why, how the mc gained his knowledge, in the anime version, he just poops skills out of his arse, trows them like lightnings and every character talks like a robot.

If this keeps up, he will finish building his mech on episode 2 & kill every monster on the planet on episode 3....

(Some of you might say what i said is a spoiler, but it isnt, go watch episode 1 again, they literaly rushed the entire plot on 1 episode)
dkstarcraftJul 2, 2017 8:09 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2017 8:31 PM
Aug 2016
they skipped the 3 ageing pace and make it in to 2 pace only :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2017 8:42 PM

Apr 2015
I liked it, felt like CN isekai novels from ten years ago, but at least it's protagonist with a "can-do" attitude.

Oh, and how cute he is.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Jul 2, 2017 8:44 PM

Jul 2014
japzone said:
Sokah said:
What a mix of terrible and fun. Will they ever address the horrible origin where he has taken over a 9 year old boy's body? I guess we're just supposed to assume the kid died in the wagon without a scratch on him and so the body was "free"? LOL, oh well, mecha and fantasy, lets see where this leads...

Eh no, he didn't posses the kid. Just comes to show how badly planned that scene was. In the original novel it was made clear that the MC reincarnated and was bored with his new life until he discovered that mecha exist in this fantasy world.

Wow, really? That's sort of even worse. How did he go 9 years without even knowing giant mecha existed?

I think this first episode was hugely bungled, but I think they can still make a decent show of it if we can all ignore what just happened. haha
Jul 2, 2017 9:04 PM
May 2009
Sokah said:
japzone said:

Wow, really? That's sort of even worse. How did he go 9 years without even knowing giant mecha existed?

I think this first episode was hugely bungled, but I think they can still make a decent show of it if we can all ignore what just happened. haha

Nah, he was way younger at the start of the novel when he first sees the mechs. He was like 3 or something. His mom takes him to visit his dad who's a battle instructor at the academy and he sees the mechs while they are training.

But yeah, this episode was a mess. They crammed 4/5 of volume 1 into it, while completely rewriting and cutting a large portion of it. Rushed is an understatement. For example, the twins actually have an interesting backstory that they basically completely cut, killing a large chunk of their character development.

It looks like they're stretching out the final 1/5 of the volume for episode 2, so the pacing will probably improve, though it's mostly just a long battle with the giant monster. I'm really hoping they rushed through volume 1 just because they wanted to get to the more interesting stuff, but I'm not that optimistic :P
Jul 2, 2017 9:48 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
I already love Ernesti so much. Not just his cute looks (and I really do love how cute he is!), but also his whole personality. Also loving Kid and Adeltrud and Battson. There are definitely some questions and issues with this first episode, as others have pointed out, but I'm going to choose to ignore those (for now at least) and see where this series takes me. I'm looking forward to a fun ride.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Jul 2, 2017 9:54 PM

Dec 2009
I liked the episode adaptation. A bit rushed, but then again anime adaptations typically do need an action hook. Also the mech designs are interesting and do suit the whole medieval aesthetics

Anyway Eru is so cute :3
Jul 2, 2017 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
Story paced looks very fast/rushed and few things are skipped, but it's great to see some action in 1st episode.
But, mecha, magic, medieval setting and overpowered character are weird combination.
Jul 2, 2017 10:26 PM

Apr 2016
Didn't hate it but didn't like it either.
The protagonist seems likeable.
Jul 2, 2017 10:35 PM

Jan 2016
IS NO ONE GOING TO WRITE ABOUT THE ANIMATION?
Dear God, animation wise this show really impressed me in the movement of the characters. It's so fluid and the fact that they managed to draw some of the Mech inside beautifully is really nice.
Plot wise... yeah, as a LN reader I am a bit dissapointed. It's too rushed. Character introduction should take 2 episodes and school trip should start on episode 3.

What they skipped as far as I know:
Addy kidnapped, Kid duel, Red and white mech duel, and a bit more minor stuff.
This hurts their character personality a bit if people are only anime watcher.

I guess I understand what they are going for. They wanted to bring in big action scene at first episode. I hope they stop rushing it after the behemoth.
Jul 2, 2017 11:16 PM
Jan 2016
Just had to stop halfway through the episode to comment on the pacing.

On one hand it's absolutely terrible, it's like the car that hit Kurata caught the plot with its rear fender and kept gunning the engine.

On the other hand the director clearly wants to get the standard isekai content out of the way and focus on the magic and mecha, which I can appreciate.

I feel like they could have just not shown any of that and started the first episode at some point in the school, then through brief flashbacks or internal monologue reveal he's a programmer and mecha otaku. Those aren't concepts that needed to be explained.
Jul 2, 2017 11:30 PM

Jul 2014
Huh I liked it more than I expected.

The animation was good and the main trio seems very likeable.

SkyLETVJul 2, 2017 11:47 PM
Jul 3, 2017 12:05 AM
Jul 2017
Ok... hm... damn time skip but i hope they will explain in more chap or so. Not to bad for episode 1, average i guess.
Jul 3, 2017 12:10 AM

Mar 2014
i dont like the straight directing. full of explaniations no doubt zero mysterious atmosphere
Jul 3, 2017 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
wish there were more info on the characters, felt super rush
Jul 3, 2017 12:54 AM
Jun 2011
japzone said:
WTF? They just burned through most of volume 1 in just 20 minutes, and I thought the manga was rushing things. Talk about a bummer. Now I'm nervous about how they'll be adapting future volumes. It also seems like it'd be a miracle if this gets more than 12 episodes.

CGI is meh, I was hoping for better but this is 8bit we're talking about. Also who was the idiot that directed the VA to talk like that in the Japan scenes. That voice was so out of place, especially when the MC sounded almost normal in comparison when he was gushing over the Gunpla.

This is making me super nervous.
i going to give this the 3 episode rule to see if it will slow down next
Jul 3, 2017 12:56 AM

May 2014
Wow they sure fooled me. i thought that was a girl. Damn you anime traps.
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jul 3, 2017 1:23 AM

Sep 2009
I thought Ernesti was cute.

Then it was a guy.

Dropped.

Jul 3, 2017 1:42 AM

Feb 2014
From the perspective of someone who has neither read the LN or manga, I didnt really pick up on the pacing - it wasnt a problem for me. I quite enjoyed the first episode, however I know that anime such as this are either hits or misses and by reading the other comments I'm a little concerned about the pacing so far.

Ernesti is cute <3 I dont mind him being girly compared to what others thought.
Jul 3, 2017 1:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, not a bad episode first up to say the least. Perhaps the story was a bit too rushed or so I felt. Animation looks great as well as the sound department which is very crucial for a Mecha anime. Introduction of the wide range of characters was also well implemented. Overall, looking great despite the pacey start. I hope it slows down slightly and takes things one at a time. By the way, I haven't read the manga or light novel so you'd expect me to not be bothered a lot by the commendable pace. 8/10 so far...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2017 2:45 AM

Jan 2013
So it's another Tanya, but not as evil and didn't reincarnate as a girl.

But hey, giant knight armors acting like mecha? I'm sold.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Jul 3, 2017 2:45 AM

Dec 2015
Good 1st episode. Better than your usual "guy gets thrown into fantasy world" stuff (like Re:Zero). I like the fantasy + mecha mix. They are using it nicely - with the guy being better at magic because of his programming skills (magic is similar to it in that world).

I hoped there would be a time skip with him getting older again and becoming a mecha designer instead of fighter (from the skills he would be gathering while trying to make his own mech that kids would pilot).

Preview for next episode though looks like he's going to fight and I guess it will stay with him at the younger age (12 years I think) and fighting mainly + maybe a bit where he develops new stuff. A bit less interesting than what I'd prefer to see but still okay since the chars are - despite being young - okay and not too annoying.
Jul 3, 2017 3:15 AM
Jul 2016
No bouncing tiddies so far so I'll continue watching this.
Jul 3, 2017 4:42 AM

Apr 2010
Why is this an isekai.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2017

41 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

58 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2017

66 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 24, 2023 3:49 AM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2017

74 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 22, 2023 11:00 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

64 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 21, 2023 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.