Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone who watches subs ever have a hard time multitasking?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 28, 2016 8:05 AM

Jan 2015
Gabagool said:
Feramoo said:

To get more things done? If I watch something in full english and play say an mmo I can fully play the game and know what is going on in the show..it isnt that hard.

Why even watch than? lol Why are you multitasking an mmo and an anime in the first place? How can you enjoy a show that way? If the question is do you like subbed anime that you've already seen as background noise than the answer is yes. I have background stuff every now and then while I come on MAL or something lol.

Why is everyone assuming I am not enjoying the anime or dont find it entertaining..I never ever SAID or IMPLIED this.

Mar 28, 2016 8:07 AM

Nov 2015
Feramoo said:
Gabagool said:

Why even watch than? lol Why are you multitasking an mmo and an anime in the first place? How can you enjoy a show that way? If the question is do you like subbed anime that you've already seen as background noise than the answer is yes. I have background stuff every now and then while I come on MAL or something lol.

Why is everyone assuming I am not enjoying the anime or dont find it entertaining..I never ever SAID or IMPLIED this.

Because you're not watching the show to begin with, you're playing an mmo lol.
Mar 28, 2016 8:18 AM

May 2014
Feramoo said:
Intense said:
Okay but why are you even watching something you are not into? Don't watch it if you feel the need to play games at the same time? saying you "want to get more things done" when talking about something you're supposed to do for your enjoyment, sounds silly. It's not a job or anything, what's the point lol

as for the question though, not really, because I understand enough without having to glue my eyes to the screen for every line that comes up, but the most I ever really do while watching anything, is talk to someone

When did I ever say I dont enjoy what I watch? Look at my profile and you will see how picky I am.

but you literally did say that though
Feramoo said:
Basically I love subs but I am someone who enjoys watching something while I perhaps play a game on my handhelds or my comp and sometimes if it is an anime I know im not that into I will go ahead and do this anyway only glancing at the screen occasionally and in general I get the gist but does anyone else with no to limited knowledge of japanese have this issue?

I'll be out ridin' my pony until it's time for candy
And I'll be naked, because I want to

Mar 28, 2016 8:34 AM

Jan 2015
Gabagool said:
Feramoo said:

Except I do watch the show? Sigh. Like really.

Mar 28, 2016 8:35 AM

Jan 2015
Intense said:
Feramoo said:

When did I ever say I dont enjoy what I watch? Look at my profile and you will see how picky I am.

Feramoo said:
Basically I love subs but I am someone who enjoys watching something while I perhaps play a game on my handhelds or my comp and sometimes if it is an anime I know im not that into I will go ahead and do this anyway only glancing at the screen occasionally and in general I get the gist but does anyone else with no to limited knowledge of japanese have this issue?

Reread that again. I said IF it is an anime that I may not enjoy THAT much then I dont care as much to fully pay attention. If I am watching something I really enjoy like lets say Jojo part 4 coming up then my attention is more diverted between two things.

Mar 28, 2016 8:38 AM

Nov 2015
Feramoo said:
Gabagool said:

That's literally not even possible lmao. How can you play an mmo and watch a show and give them both your undivided attention? You can't expect you enjoy something if you're only putting in half the effort.
Mar 28, 2016 8:45 AM

May 2014
Feramoo said:
Intense said:

Reread that again. I said IF it is an anime that I may not enjoy THAT much then I dont care as much to fully pay attention. If I am watching something I really enjoy like lets say Jojo part 4 coming up then my attention is more diverted between two things.

You can add as many ifs as you'd like, but it still says you're not really enjoying it, because you wouldn't need to be playing games if you did. I don't understand why you'd watch something you know won't be interesting enough to keep your attention, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'll be out ridin' my pony until it's time for candy
And I'll be naked, because I want to

Mar 28, 2016 8:48 AM

Jun 2012
I'm the kind of person who literally don't want to miss even one second or word of what I'm watching so I don't multitask at all. At most, I might eat something simple (e.g. rice and beans which you can just scoop into your mouth).
Mar 28, 2016 8:53 AM

Jan 2015
Gabagool said:
Feramoo said:

That's literally not even possible lmao. How can you play an mmo and watch a show and give them both your undivided attention? You can't expect you enjoy something if you're only putting in half the effort.

Just get out of here moron. You clearly cannot comprehend what I have been saying.

Mar 28, 2016 9:44 AM

May 2014
I half understand Japanese anyway, so it's usually just a case of glancing at the subs if a sentence was too complex for me to get it.

Reading subtitles was absolute hell when I first started doing it.

I think Code Geass was one of the first ones I watched subtitled, and the fast action scenes coupled with monologues to help you understand what the fuck is happening made it super hard.

I just couldn't handle the dub, man. Like, Johnny Yong Bosch as Lelouch was passable, but everyone else was pretty poor. Hence switching to subs and becoming the trash I am today.
Mar 28, 2016 9:49 AM

Dec 2014
It's hard as hell to multitask when watching a japanese anime, but the thing is even when it's dub it's hard. I mean why watch something entertaining and do other stuff at the same time? I, personally, try to be as free of all the work other than anime as possible. But with dub, it's probably easier.
Thinking.....
Mar 28, 2016 10:03 AM

May 2013
Deserada said:
You might be having a hard time multitasking because it is impossible for humans to do.

True. I am a psychologist and I can say with confidence that you cannot successfully do 2 things at one time. Its either you dont understand so well what you are watching or you kept losing your games.
Saber_PrincessMar 28, 2016 10:11 AM

Mar 28, 2016 10:03 AM

Nov 2015
Feramoo said:
Gabagool said:

Just get out of here moron. You clearly cannot comprehend what I have been saying.

I'm the moron here? My bad, this whole time I thought YOU were the one wondering why YOU couldn't read subtitles for one show and still somehow do other things at the same time. Evidently it was me all along. I'm the moron who thinks you're having trouble doing 2 or more things at once because you can't comprehend the fact that it's impossible for your brain to give undivided attention to multiple things at once. MY BAD... Please forgive me.
Mar 28, 2016 11:04 AM

Oct 2015
I never like multitasking for anything. I don't even like listening to music when I work, for example.
Mar 28, 2016 2:09 PM

Apr 2015
I watch animes only with subs & mostly I'm eating and chatting on phone while watching.
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Mar 28, 2016 3:58 PM

Aug 2010
Feramoo said:
Ok sure multi tasking in general is impossibleish but I dont just get the gist of things and I dont halfass. Maybe you cant do it, maybe a lot of people cant but I can tackle two things roughly at the same time and be fully aware of what I am doing. Go be an dick somewhere else.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794 Don't thank me~
It sounds anyway pretty obvious that if you can mmo at the same time is that you're not totally into the anime. Which is actually a waste of time.
Mar 28, 2016 4:14 PM

Apr 2014
Why even bother watching something, if you're not gonna pay attention to the show?!
Mar 28, 2016 4:15 PM

Mar 2014
Not at all

I was born to become a master anime watcher and subway surfer playing multitasker
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 28, 2016 4:49 PM

Jan 2015
Senra- said:
Feramoo said:
Ok sure multi tasking in general is impossibleish but I dont just get the gist of things and I dont halfass. Maybe you cant do it, maybe a lot of people cant but I can tackle two things roughly at the same time and be fully aware of what I am doing. Go be an dick somewhere else.

It sounds anyway pretty obvious that if you can mmo at the same time is that you're not totally into the anime. Which is actually a waste of time.

Anymore posts like this dont even need to bother with their stupidity.

Mar 28, 2016 4:50 PM

Jan 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
Why even bother watching something, if you're not gonna pay attention to the show?!

Refer to my above post. Again these kinds of comments just arnt even worth posting to

Mar 28, 2016 4:56 PM

Aug 2012
On rare occasion, I text and check my emails but thats about it, even right now a Chobits episode was paused just to play a couple of mission in Toukiden
Mar 28, 2016 4:58 PM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Not at all

I was born to become a master anime watcher and subway surfer playing multitasker

Well then you sir must be the chosen one.

Mar 28, 2016 5:12 PM

Jan 2012
It's not about whether I can or not...

I never do anything else while watching anime because not being fixated on the screen would waste away the enjoyment of the experience.

To get the most out of my anime experience, I need to see every pixel all the time.
If I look away for just a moment, I'll skip back 5 seconds to ensure that I didn't miss anything.
Mar 28, 2016 8:55 PM
Mar 2016
Feramoo said:
I guess most people are not as productive as I like to be. two birds with one stone. I enjoy being able to get a dissertation done while enjoying a show and I still manage to do these things while watching anime just a little more difficult but still manageable.

Being able to focus on a task is a wonderful thing, it's a shame you'll never experience the joy of putting in 100% of your efforts into the completion of a task. Who knows, if you focus on your dissertation, you might be able to finish it 30 minutes earlier than you would have if you watched an anime episode while writing it, it might even end up being better written too.

Remember, making something more difficult than it needs to be does not make you look smart or talented, it makes you look like a dumbass.
Mar 28, 2016 9:27 PM

Jul 2014
I don't have any problems with this. (And I'm not just saying that as I've done multitasking on Anime that would've absorbed me completely but the only Anime that did that was Attack On Titan and Anime before Moe infestation happened)

Hell even with subs I can eat,drink,sin (Animesins),iron while watching subbed Anime. It's not like irons hard but a lot of Anime lately barely pull me into such a level like before, or it could be because the stories aren't exciting anymore or it could be because a lot of the modern Anime have school settings that it's hard to differentiate between them.

That's my two cents on the matter.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Mar 29, 2016 12:53 AM

Oct 2011
I do that occasionally, it's a challenge of giving equal attention.
Mar 29, 2016 3:51 AM
May 2009
Nope. no problems here. I can do pretty much anything while watching subbed anime.
Mar 29, 2016 4:10 AM

Aug 2010
Feramoo said:
Senra- said:

You start a conversation, but ignore everything that goes against you. Instead of saying that my comment was stupid (I wonder why it was as I even took the time to give you a source) explain why my comment (as well as the link I gave you) is stupid to you. Be a man.

If you want my honest opinion, I think you just want to be an elitist on MAL with lots of anime watched. Seriously dude, you have a mean score of 3.7 and you're saying "I totally enjoy what I watch" ... come on. Don't be a fool.
Saoji-Mar 29, 2016 4:14 AM
Mar 29, 2016 5:16 AM

Jan 2015
Senra- said:
Feramoo said:

You start a conversation, but ignore everything that goes against you. Instead of saying that my comment was stupid (I wonder why it was as I even took the time to give you a source) explain why my comment (as well as the link I gave you) is stupid to you. Be a man.

If you want my honest opinion, I think you just want to be an elitist on MAL with lots of anime watched. Seriously dude, you have a mean score of 3.7 and you're saying "I totally enjoy what I watch" ... come on. Don't be a fool.

To be fair for a long period there I was forcing myself to watch things I disliked just to say I had seen them. These days I really tend to only put things up I know I am going to enjoy otherwise I know I am just forcing myself.

Mar 29, 2016 5:17 AM

Jan 2015
Omuro said:
Feramoo said:
I guess most people are not as productive as I like to be. two birds with one stone. I enjoy being able to get a dissertation done while enjoying a show and I still manage to do these things while watching anime just a little more difficult but still manageable.

Being able to focus on a task is a wonderful thing, it's a shame you'll never experience the joy of putting in 100% of your efforts into the completion of a task. Who knows, if you focus on your dissertation, you might be able to finish it 30 minutes earlier than you would have if you watched an anime episode while writing it, it might even end up being better written too.

Remember, making something more difficult than it needs to be does not make you look smart or talented, it makes you look like a dumbass.

Why do people always enjoy making assumptions..truly.

Mar 29, 2016 5:37 AM

Jan 2016
I only eat sometimes whilst watching anime, but when I do watch anime, I get very serious about it cause I want to understand everything the anime wants to tell me, but whenever someone messages me or invites me to do smth, I just pause the anime instead of multi-tasking..

I dunno why, but I take anime seriously, even tho my ratings wouldn't tell that, I rate anime on my own opinion, if I like it and I wasn't disturbed by anything (or if I was, but smth paid up for that), I rate it 10, you would rarely see me rating an anime with a low rating (Below 7 for me is low)

P.S. I want to understand anime cause my favorite ones are Drama, Romance and Slice of life, and they normally have a deep meaning to them.. I also can't refuse smth with action and animation like Fate, Tokyo Ghoul, TTGL and etc.)
Mar 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
Feramoo said:
Omuro said:
I'm pretty sure you need to reevaluate your interest in anime, mate. If anime is not interesting enough for you to give a large portion of your attention to, then you probably shouldn't be watching anime. If you want to dick around with your handheld games, then don't try to watch anime while playing them. If you want to watch anime, don't dick around with your handheld games. Anime watching isn't neurosurgery, my man, keep it basic.
You said you played video games when you multitasked while watching anime. Wtf dude, when did we start talking about being productive. But really, how good does your essay turn out?
Mar 29, 2016 6:00 AM

Jan 2015
Take out a novel, but only read every third line. You're not getting the full experience, are you?
Mar 29, 2016 6:18 AM

Jan 2015
ObliviousOkapi said:
Feramoo said:
You said you played video games when you multitasked while watching anime. Wtf dude, when did we start talking about being productive. But really, how good does your essay turn out?

89/100 on my essay. I consider anything and everything I do to be productive so. Again what may not work or seem normal for some of you isnt for me.

Mar 29, 2016 6:36 AM

Apr 2014
Feramoo said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Refer to my above post. Again these kinds of comments just arnt even worth posting to
Still, you don't follow the story in any way when just looking at the screen occasionally. Just listen to music or something when you want to do more than just play a videogame.
Mar 29, 2016 8:10 AM

Jan 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
Feramoo said:

Still, you don't follow the story in any way when just looking at the screen occasionally. Just listen to music or something when you want to do more than just play a videogame.

Except I do. Honestly the only barrier is language..as I have said if I am watching a dub there is no issue period. And this thread was never meant to sound like a complaint I was just curious if anyone else had this slight trouble sometimes haha

Mar 30, 2016 10:43 AM
Jul 2018

What is more important: anime, games or multitasking?
This is the topic of the next series you shouldn't miss.

[stay tuned]
Mar 30, 2016 6:51 PM

Oct 2014
Eating and watching is fine for me. Anything else is too distracting.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's the most significant emotional connection you've made with an anime character or a storyline?

Wendoka - 9 hours ago

14 by Jackof-allspades »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Lolis

Jackof-allspades - 22 minutes ago

1 by Entity72 »»
3 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - 9 hours ago

6 by shane_nichols »»
10 minutes ago

» Imagine you're an anime seiyuu (voice actor). Which character would you want to voice?

Wendoka - 9 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago

» What are you gonna watch next season?

Pinoffin - 4 hours ago

14 by gunny92 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.