Forum Settings
Forums

What's the most significant emotional connection you've made with an anime character or a storyline?

New
May 24, 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
What's the most significant emotional connection you've made with an anime character or a storyline?
(Manga counts)
removed-userMay 24, 5:44 PM
May 24, 5:43 PM

Aug 2018
I know it's an anime discussion, but I can't help but mention the manga.

Phos from Houseki no Kuni, especially in the manga.
May 24, 5:44 PM

Dec 2021
Ashita no Joe.

That is just it, for me. It's why that anime is in my favorites. To anyone who knows how these feelings feel, this anime portrays them perfectly. Yes, anime this old can portray something this realistic.
Daviljoe193May 24, 5:58 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 24, 5:46 PM
Handler One

Jan 2023
I have to answer with Shirase from Sora yori mo Tooi Basho as well as both Lena and Shin from 86 Eighty-Six, especially in the light novel. Almost no other characters have left an impact like these three have on me, like ripping out my heart and replacing it at the same time.

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
May 24, 5:47 PM
Jul 2016
Probably Carmilla Vanstein from Hataage! Kemono Michi because she's a vampire and that was the Halloween monster I most wanted to be as a kid, and because she tries her hardest with whatever she does, and cries when she fails.

Then there's Yang Xiao Long, my current avatar, because her motivations and fears are the same as mine.

Also Kana from Oshi no Ko because my girlfriend told me I was like her.

May 24, 5:48 PM

Apr 2024
When watching Black★Rock Shooter (TV), I could barely understand the first half of the plot, and during the second part, I could not understand anything at all but felt - physically, in my chest - all the pain the main characters went through, as if I was emotionally and physically tortured alongside them. Insane experience. I wish more cinema to be more like Black★Rock Shooter (TV).
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 24, 5:50 PM

Jan 2021
Emiya Shirou and Archer specifically from UBW. After that probably 8man from oregairu and Tomoya from Clannad.
May 24, 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
All the story of PMMM and the main characters, Madoka, Homura, Kyouko, Tomoe, Sayaka and Nagisa

May 24, 5:56 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to removed-user
All the story of PMMM and the main characters, Madoka, Homura, Kyouko, Tomoe, Sayaka and Nagisa

@Wendoka

Consider watching Black★Rock Shooter (TV) then, it is most likely the only Madokaesque anime that achieved the same level of quality and even higher. You may want to read my review for it or see my (80% complete) Google slides presentation about it, which also includes the comparative analysis with PMMM. You may PM me for the link if you are interested.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 24, 6:05 PM
Feb 2014
Do characters from anime style games that don't have an anime adaptation (or even if there is an anime adaptation, don't show up in it) count?

If so, then it's my soulmate from a Japanese browser based game that had a absolutely trash anime adaptation and he wasn't even in it.

And also of course, my little octopus and my little ninja from a Chinese online mobile game.

Cause they are definitely the ones i had (the first one)/have (the last two) the most significant emotional connection with.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 24, 6:06 PM

Feb 2019
Luffy, I have a fixation with adventures and wanting true freedom, from governments and also other opinions, I think the freedom he seeks is probably not only legally but physically, and mentally aswell.

I also think having a friend group and experiencing it with them only makes an adventure/vacation better.
May 24, 11:24 PM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
Rhae said:

wow, im gonna have to go for phos too...his whole journey is impeccable...im yet to see someone go through such a change and have me feel everything for them

with phos, id aslo like to add Violet - though she is somewhat what i would call the definition of a perfect character...she is everything i ever want to be
May 24, 11:38 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to ame
Rhae said:

wow, im gonna have to go for phos too...his whole journey is impeccable...im yet to see someone go through such a change and have me feel everything for them

with phos, id aslo like to add Violet - though she is somewhat what i would call the definition of a perfect character...she is everything i ever want to be
ame said:

May 25, 1:53 AM

Sep 2016
Shinji from Evangelion, yes I know it's a boring answer.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 25, 2:33 AM
Dec 2021
Makishima is easily my number 1; such an amazing character that felt so real. Psycho-Pass already has a pretty strong cast of characters as well but Makishima is clearly a cut above the rest for me.

It hurts me to put a far inferior character from a far inferior series within 10 spaces of the White Dragon that is Makishima Shogo so I will add them now:

I also had somewhat of an emotional connection to Yuno Gasai from Mirai Nikki and I got worried for her whenever she was in any sort of danger.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 25, 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
I have fear to the Infinite thanks to Houseki No Kuni, it gave me a lot of big topics to think about, and some quotes that changed my way to live, its one of my favorite animes and it gave me a slightly different way of thinking about death, i now see it as something good as long as you want it, well, it goes deeper than that, but i am a bit lazy about writing a whole thesis yk?
Phosphophyllite and Antarcticite are 2 characters that will always be in my mind
May 25, 1:41 PM

Jul 2016
For me it will always be Phos from Houseki no Kuni.

More topics from this board

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast?

Rally- - 3 hours ago

31 by Rally- »»
2 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

666 by SimplyBrazen »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime?

TheSunLife - 11 hours ago

37 by TheSunLife »»
16 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 4 )

707supremacist - May 5

179 by Giorgosman13 »»
1 hour ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - Today

27 by Thecutedog »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.