Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 15, 2014 11:11 AM

Mar 2009
W-T-F?! What the F*ck Is Wrong with You People?
Good ep? Really!? I have watched it with tears in my eyes.
I want old sao back! Where is the pure epicness of badass Kirito, lvl boss fights and Star Burst Stream!?
I don't get it at all. Asuna is so boring and annoing. There are so many better characters than she. Liz, Sinon, Philia god damn it!!!
it becomes worse with every single episode...
Nov 15, 2014 11:12 AM
Apr 2014
Kirito's "thats-my-wife-fighting" face was awesome, LOL...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 15, 2014 11:14 AM

Jul 2007
Freyi said:
I want old sao back! Where is the pure epicness of badass Kirito, lvl boss fights and Star Burst Stream!?
I don't get it at all. Asuna is so boring and annoing. There are so many better characters than she. Liz, Sinon, Philia god damn it!!!

If you are watching for Kirito being "op" and fights and mmo mechanics you might as well drop it.

The only reason S1 gave off that impression was because they stuffed 30+ episode material into 12 episodes.

This IS Asuna centric arc. You already got most of Kirito screentime from it shown by now
Nov 15, 2014 11:14 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Freyi said:

You can go ahead and drop it if you like. This is MOTHER's ROSARIO ARC, meaning it's Asuna focused. This arc by far will be one of the best, but that's just me.

Kirito already got his screen time in the GGO Arc. It's only fair to give Asuna some focus as well. Develop her character even more.

Nov 15, 2014 11:16 AM
Apr 2014
Freyi said:

Drop pls.

Old SAO is bad compared with Mother's Rosario.

Nov 15, 2014 11:17 AM

Dec 2012
Freyi said:

worse and worse... rlly? not saying its wrong to hate it, but u rlly thnk this is worse than that boring calibur arc? where the enemy just sat there while the team just.... go ahead and drop it, i thnk u've lost hope in this series in the back of ur mind somewhere if u thnk this episode is worse than the last. and plus whats wrong with us? come on man, it's an opinion! chill out! Still the best arc of the season 4 me so far... hope it doesnt disappoint
Nov 15, 2014 11:29 AM
Mar 2012
Freyi said:

Go back to that poorly adapted S1. It was full of fights because literally that's all A-1 decided to adapt. SAO is all about development with action as a means to that goal, not the goal itself. If SAO was properly adapted, Asuna would have been a much more liked and developed character.
Nov 15, 2014 11:30 AM
May 2014
Welp, not sure if I like Asuna's family issue, though I can't totally blame her parents. Asuna's parents are just like my (Asian) parents, except mine were mostly concerned with studies and career, and don't meddle with my copulation business. Then again I am a dude.

The new OP sequence is nice. Asuna's image of Zekken literally crumbling, plus that stare of contempt were hilarious. Overall, nice adaptation so far and I can't complain about the first (and perhaps only) SAO arc where the main girl doesn't give a f*** about Kirito.

That name "Sleeping Knights"... :(
Nov 15, 2014 11:32 AM

Oct 2012
Finally. Asuna. Sword. Fighting. Skillz. YAY!
Nov 15, 2014 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
UGH I do NOT want to have to relive all the bullshit that asuna's mother put her through. The woman is grade A horrible. I know people like her in real life and they make my blood boil.

However the Yuuki/Asuna fight was everything it should have been!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Nov 15, 2014 11:49 AM

Oct 2014
Man if I have a mom like Asuna's, I'd probably give her a bitch slap and declare my independence, looks like a new arc will begin.
Nov 15, 2014 11:51 AM

Aug 2014
Best mother ever, huh?

It was a good episode. The soundtrack during the fight was killer, most memorable one after Swordland. I'm still glad Asuna lost, her beating someone that Kirito couldn't would not be believable. Wonder what Zekken wants help for, i hope she's not just another NPC wanting help to save some irrelevant map of the game.

Can't help but get annoyed at the three cheerleaders that are jealous of Kirito and Asuna.

4/5. Seems like this is the last we're going to see of Kirito for a while...
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Nov 15, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2014
Asuna finally back to being a badass in the second half of the episode, loved the intensity of that fight with Yuuki. Yuuki's VA is really nice :d .
Really got annoyed by the part with her mother >.>.
Hope things settle between them in future episodes.
4/5.
Nov 15, 2014 11:57 AM

Apr 2012
Epic showdown!

I'll be completely honest, I have no idea how I FAILED to realize Zekken would be female, but I did. I just took the images in the last episode of Zekken at face value.

Already hate Asuna's mom, the freaking Gold Digger. Thumbs up to Asuna for telling her off at the end though, I don't know why she thinks she isn't strong in real life, saying that to your mom takes courage!
Nov 15, 2014 12:10 PM
Apr 2012
I'm guessing Zekken chose Asuna because she's strong and can be serious about the VRMMO world while Kirito isn't ... anymore. Cause last episode they said that Kirito could never fight seriously as long as it's not life and death and he himself said that he stopped trying after the last half.

Perhaps Zekken is something like an AI? Kinda like Yui since Kirito was saying that she went past the speed limit? Hopefully this Arc brings back serious Kirito again and Asuna's mom approving their relationship :3
Nov 15, 2014 12:11 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Damn asuna's mom got :

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 15, 2014 12:33 PM
Apr 2014
I like how Asuna's mom tries to exonerate herself and have the dad shoulder all the blame for the "Sugou Incident" when the dad is not here. It's not like Asuna's mom is against Sugou in the first place as she had no idea what kind of scum he truly was.

and that Yuuya guy lol...we don't even see his entire face
Nov 15, 2014 12:35 PM

Mar 2013
Seems like this arc will be the only one so far that Kirito doesn't score a new girl.

Not only Aniplex cockblocked you but also stole your girl. Sucks to be you Kirito.
Nov 15, 2014 12:38 PM

Jul 2014
Welp finally got around to picking up SAO II again after skipping caliber(?), and a big FUCK YOU to Asuna's mom.
Nov 15, 2014 12:39 PM

Jul 2009
Loving this new OP sequence.

Based on the status bars displayed in the sequence, the Sleeping Knights members are officially romanized as Yuuki, Siune, Talken, Nori, Jun, and Tecchi.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Nov 15, 2014 12:45 PM
Mar 2013
No one noticed that Asuna's mom is Megumi Hayashibara? +100 to this episode
Nov 15, 2014 12:48 PM

Sep 2014
y123y said:
I wish my family would set me up with a rich pretty chick. Whats so bad about that?

So you would want to be forced to marry some rich pretty girl when you are already in love with someone ? Yea her mom's wants the best for her but not considering what Asuna wants. Her mom just thinks in order to be happy you need to marry rich to fulfill your career goals.
Nov 15, 2014 12:51 PM

Apr 2014
tsanggitu said:
Finally. Asuna. Sword. Fighting. Skillz. YAY!

I like the old SAO Asuna soo much better:)
---------My Profile------------
Nov 15, 2014 12:54 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Musika said:
Seems like this arc will be the only one so far that Kirito doesn't score a new girl.

Not only Aniplex cockblocked you but also stole your girl. Sucks to be you Kirito.

He has Leafa/Suguha to spend time with while Asuna is with Zekken. While the Yuuki's go to their sutff, Kirito/Leafa can go out and enjoy themselves.

Nov 15, 2014 12:55 PM
Apr 2014
I'm surprised there is not a retard saying "that kind of parents doesn't exist irl, duh, so bad 1/10"...

Nov 15, 2014 1:00 PM

Sep 2014
Reyxe said:
I'm surprised there is not a retard saying "that kind of parents doesn't exist irl, duh, so bad 1/10"...

I can vouch for parents like this lol. Being arab and all I have seen families force their daughters in arrange marries and not just for money.
Nov 15, 2014 1:06 PM
Apr 2014
Bomb2chest said:
Reyxe said:

I can vouch for parents like this lol. Being arab and all I have seen families force their daughters in arrange marries and not just for money.

I'm from Venezuela and my parents are both like that, well, not really into arranged marriage but the study shit.

Nov 15, 2014 1:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
First decent episode in quite a while, specially the first half. IMO, this show is at its best whenever it involves one or two characters max and focuses on their struggles with balancing the 'real' and online worlds. The conversation between Asuna and her mother brought some much needed drama and seriousness back into this show. Whenever the attention shifts to the harem, everything becomes so meh. The other girls are such uninteresting characters and Yui is just a waste of space.

Let's see where this Yuuki girl will lead Asuna.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 15, 2014 1:11 PM

Sep 2014
Reyxe said:
Bomb2chest said:

I'm from Venezuela and my parents are both like that, well, not really into arranged marriage but the study shit.

Well I think to a certain point most parents get on their kids to study. I really don't see anything wrong with bugging your child to study harder. If you look at the world education plays a big part on how you achieve things in life(obviously not everything).
Nov 15, 2014 1:13 PM

Apr 2013
The new scenes in the OP looked nice and made me look forward to the next episodes.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 15, 2014 1:21 PM
Apr 2014
Bomb2chest said:
Reyxe said:

Well I think to a certain point most parents get on their kids to study. I really don't see anything wrong with bugging your child to study harder. If you look at the world education plays a big part on how you achieve things in life(obviously not everything).

It's not okay when they basically force you to study some boring shit or to not study what you like... or things like that.

Yesterday, I was at a university here and a mother was complaining about how her kid had only 9/10 average in all subjects because 'he spends too much time using the computer, he should've a 10/10'... some parents are just fuckers.

In the end, that fucking preasure you put in a child, will make him fail blatantly, specially if you don't give a shit about what he thinks/feels/likes... that's one of the shit that got me severe depression.

Nov 15, 2014 1:23 PM

May 2014
I'm sure there are parents like that, but I wouldn't mind seeing something less black and white for a change. Moral ambiguity, people. It is possible to write characters beyond hero archetypes and completely obnoxious jerks.
Nov 15, 2014 1:29 PM

May 2010
I thought she was her stepmother.

I actually wanted to see Kirito's fight with Zekkan and her opinion on him.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 15, 2014 1:31 PM

Oct 2014
Reyxe said:

They dont want u to become like Nicolas Maduro :p.

Here in Peru, lots of Adults think Video Games are a waste of time and also part of the reason you see robbery/delinquency on the streets.

Nov 15, 2014 1:36 PM

Dec 2013
Seriously, Asuna's mother is your typical Tiger-mom with an inferiority complex. All too common in Asian communities where success is measured on how much riches you can accumulate in a lifetime. That means all the steps leading up to that are just as important in their eyes. The school thing is understandable, since her mom seriously doesn't understand what Asuna went through and exactly how important her friends are to her. But the deal with Kirito not being a suitable partner for her daughter was just anal. Everyone has potential to become great, plus, those who make their own fortunes are so much better than those who inherit it from someone, because it means that they actually know how to make it back if they happen to lose it somewhere along the way. Her mother is seriously short-sighted. I just hope that Yuuya dude isn't another maniac pervert like Sugou.

I too noticed that Asuna was breathing fumes in her own room after she logged out of ALO, can someone explain that? Or is it something that should be explained later? Considering how rich her family is, it seems quite unnatural for them not to have heating in a home of that size.

Then the fight with Yuuki was just as I imagined it from the excerpts I'd actually read. I love how this arc is all about Asuna actually. For GGO, although Kirito was technically front and center, I felt that Shinon was actually more of the main than he was, him being a connecting plot device to push her story along. In fact, I really like how Season 2 hasn't been entirely Kirito-centric. It gives more development for the other characters, though I wish we'd get more for Lis and Silica. One and 3 quarters of a season in and we literally know next to nothing about them in the real world. Would also love to know more about Mr. Andrew Gilbert Mills too. We know he's married, but I don't recall ever seeing his wife.

Can't wait to see the request Yuuki has of Asuna.
HESTIAAPPROVES

Jul 2009
LMAO i love kirito's smug look while asuna was fighting. he's just like yup, that's my girl. yup, that's what im talking about.

oh c'mon asuna's mom. kirito is studying mechatronics in high school. he's gonna be rich! aside from that, momma asuna wasnt 'too' out of line. choosing a good school is important and what do kids know about the future anyway. arrangement marriage... well, different culture, so can't really comment on that.

but wow shots fired by asuna to momma asuna. 'you mustve hated your mom & dad because they were poor'. yikes. not sure how i'd react if my kid said that to me. =

Sep 2014
Reyxe said:
Bomb2chest said:

It's not okay when they basically force you to study some boring shit or to not study what you like... or things like that.

Yesterday, I was at a university here and a mother was complaining about how her kid had only 9/10 average in all subjects because 'he spends too much time using the computer, he should've a 10/10'... some parents are just fuckers.

In the end, that fucking preasure you put in a child, will make him fail blatantly, specially if you don't give a shit about what he thinks/feels/likes... that's one of the shit that got me severe depression.

Yea very true pressuring does ruin things in the end. I was under the impression that Asuna was just forced to study harder of the basic subjects of high school which is probably boring to majority of kids lol. Unless Asuna's mother is making her study a career she does not want to do then I understand. I just got the vibe she wants her to study hard to get into a good college. Which is fine but forcing her to actually attend college is where I would have problem. At least if she ever wanted to attend she would have the education to do so. Forcing to change schools , arranged marriages , pressuring her to attend college etc is wrong.
Nov 15, 2014 1:39 PM

Mar 2011
Well, for once, this isn't back and white, it's perfectly in-character. We know since quite a while that Asuna comes from a really rich family and that she had a lot of pressure on her. We also know about the arranged marriages since Sugou at the very least. It is a fact that a lot of rich families work like that IRL. Just because a lot of people cannot relate, it doesn't means that it is "black and white" or that it shouldn't be done this way. We are NOT talking about a "classical" family like most people would have here, and the pressure put on the children is also something common enough IRL so it isn't really questionable. Asuna doesn't come from your typical average family, and keep in mind that japanese families are even worse than ours; even moreso when it comes to this kind of family. Cultural differences.
This point of the story is quite accurate and it isn't really manichean, we clearly see that her mother want her daughter to be successful. She however has too much of a trauma about her own past to take other people into account. That's not black and white; we clearly see the "why". It still doesn't make it right for her to decide of someone else's life.
Some things happen in real life too, and the middle ground isn't ALWAYS the perfect answer. Even if it's short, what Asuna says to her mother about her being ashamed of her own past is enough to avoid the black and white issue; she has a reason to do what she does, so it's understandable. However, it doesn't mean that she is right in the slightest.

[quote]LMAO i love kirito's smug look while asuna was fighting. he's just like yup, that's my girl. yup, that's what im talking about.

Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1308067&show=80#zfz3rBlQBQ3zFqHH.99[/quote)

Yes, I have to admit that I laughed quite a lot too haha
willardhwrightNov 15, 2014 1:42 PM
Nov 15, 2014 1:51 PM

Jun 2013
Been waiting for this arc. Time to show some more Asuna!
Nov 15, 2014 1:52 PM

Sep 2008
L-Ryoshi said:

I too noticed that Asuna was breathing fumes in her own room after she logged out of ALO, can someone explain that? Or is it something that should be explained later? Considering how rich her family is, it seems quite unnatural for them not to have heating in a home of that size..

If you noticed at the beginning when Asuna got up, her AC was set at 15 degrees meaning it was pretty cold in her room hence her blowing out them fumes.

Anyways good episode and backstory for Asuna. Her mother being what she is is understandable as Asian mom's are usually like that(I know my mom and hers would probably get on fine). As for Zekken, I totally imagined her as a lot younger(in the novel) then what was depicted in the anime but still like her anyways
Nov 15, 2014 1:53 PM

May 2014
willardhwright said:
Well, for once, this isn't back and white, it's perfectly in-character. We know since quite a while that Asuna comes from a really rich family and that she had a lot of pressure on her. We also know about the arranged marriages since Sugou at the very least. It is a fact that a lot of rich families work like that IRL. Just because a lot of people cannot relate, it doesn't means that it is "black and white" or that it shouldn't be done this way. We are NOT talking about a "classical" family like most people would have here, and the pressure put on the children is also something common enough IRL so it isn't really questionable. Asuna doesn't come from your typical average family, and keep in mind that japanese families are even worse than ours; even moreso when it comes to this kind of family. Cultural differences.
This point of the story is quite accurate and it isn't really manichean, we clearly see that her mother want her daughter to be successful. She however has too much of a trauma about her own past to take other people into account. That's not black and white; we clearly see the "why". It still doesn't make it right for her to decide of someone else's life.
Some things happen in real life too, and the middle ground isn't ALWAYS the perfect answer. Even if it's short, what Asuna says to her mother about her being ashamed of her own past is enough to avoid the black and white issue; she has a reason to do what she does, so it's understandable. However, it doesn't mean that she is right in the slightest.
Simply the fact that something is realistic or has an in-universe explanation doesn't imply that it's presented with any real moral ambiguity.
Nov 15, 2014 1:59 PM

Dec 2009
That opening just bring a tear to my eye.

It brought back memories from 2 years ago. ;-;

But yeah this was a great character building episode for Asuna, the conflicts with her family is nicely done.

Can't wait for next week.
Nov 15, 2014 2:05 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Scrypt said:
L-Ryoshi said:

I too noticed that Asuna was breathing fumes in her own room after she logged out of ALO, can someone explain that? Or is it something that should be explained later? Considering how rich her family is, it seems quite unnatural for them not to have heating in a home of that size..

If you noticed at the beginning when Asuna got up, her AC was set at 15 degrees meaning it was pretty cold in her room hence her blowing out them fumes.

Anyways good episode and backstory for Asuna. Her mother being what she is is understandable as Asian mom's are usually like that(I know my mom and hers would probably get on fine). As for Zekken, I totally imagined her as a lot younger(in the novel) then what was depicted in the anime but still like her anyways

But it's only 59 F when converted. In real life it's not cold, it's generally cool if there's isn't any wind.

Nov 15, 2014 2:10 PM
Mar 2012
In defense of Asuna's mother, you can already assume she was born into a poor family from Asuna's comment about her grandparents. Through effort alone, she was able to climb the financial and social ladder and was able to be in the position she is now. She wanted her daughter to grow up rich and unpoverished, something that she wasn't able to experience. She's strict because she want's Asuna to have the brightest future possible, allowing her daughter to have leeway would prevent that. Of course, Asuna's mother also goes through a development process so I'm looking forward to how she will turn out in the end.

The anime never explained it, but before getting trapped in SAO, Asuna was just your typical sheltered rich girl who did exactly what her parents told her to do, even though inside she hated it. If she was never trapped and experienced true "reality," she would just be married off to some rich guy with no resistance. SAO taught her to stand on her own two feet.
Nov 15, 2014 2:14 PM

Oct 2013
Oh wow. I didn't expect them to do such a good job with that fight.
Nov 15, 2014 2:24 PM

Jul 2007
Kurogashi said:

oh c'mon asuna's mom. kirito is studying mechatronics in high school. he's gonna be rich! aside from that, momma asuna wasnt 'too' out of line.

but he is still(in her mom's eyes) "just some punk who is addicted to those annoying video game nonsense things''

After all "video game industry" is "not a real job".
Nov 15, 2014 2:28 PM

Oct 2008
I really liked the duel between Asuna and Zekken. How Asuna transitioned from her normal self, to her self from her SAO days when she was the sub-leader of the Knights of the Blood. The expression Zekken had at that point was priceless, like "Oh crap, things just got real." Definitely liked how Zekken was surprised, as she probably thought she wouldn't have any trouble winning, considering her backstory.

I'm sure Kirito on the sidelines was thinking "Yep, this is the chick that I would never want to make an enemy out of."
Nov 15, 2014 2:33 PM

Mar 2014
LOVED the new OP. Also, the fight between Yuuki and Asuna was awesome.

Can't believe Asuna's mom doesn't approve of Kirito though, I don't know how much Asuna told her, but the guy saved her life a bunch of times :p.
Nov 15, 2014 2:36 PM

Oct 2013
I want to see the old Asuna. Yes the bada** one.
Nov 15, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 2011
TheDeedsOfMen said:
willardhwright said:
Simply the fact that something is realistic or has an in-universe explanation doesn't imply that it's presented with any real moral ambiguity.

Moral ambiguity implies that there IS any moral ambiguity. In this case, in the strict sense, there isn't an objective one; parents may have some preferences and things that they would like better, such as having an heterosexual son because they want a grandson; it doesn't change the fact that everyone is living its own life, and denying it is starting to go on a subjective, slippery rope.

And what COULD count as a moral ambiguity on said subjective POV is clearly here. There is a reason Asuna told her about her past before leaving, and it's all about this. She wants her daughter to have a successful life, yes. However, no matter the "ambiguity", the way she's doing it is wrong. She may means well, yes; and she says it REALLY often. Hell, the whole discussion is about this.
But she only MEANS well because she's more or less blinded and projecting herself on her daughter, and doesn't take enough factors into account. Basically, she's short-sighted. Something "morally ambiguous" doesn't have to be solved by a statu quo where both people are wrong. We see very clearly that she doesn't do it just because she's a control freak and because it's fun for her. We see her PoV aboutthis, and why she's doing this, and it's not because she is evil per se. It doesn't change how twisted this is. Just like how Kayaba was understandable, but definitely not "right" in S1.

Through effort alone, she was able to climb the financial and social ladder and was able to be in the position she is now. She wanted her daughter to grow up rich and unpoverished, something that she wasn't able to experience.

Well, the fact that she was the "poor one" and therefore should ALSO know how important some other things are clearly doesn't help her. That's the kind of things you usually forgive for a "sheltered " character, because he doesn't know anything else.
In her case, it's quite a bit more complicated since she should know that some things other than money are important, given her background.
Hence Asuna and her "you're ashamed" thing; her mother SHOUD be the one able to understand her, or at the very least try to, since she doesn't come from one of these "sheltered" families, but she doesn't even try to understand a thing. It would probably have way less of an impact from his father since he is expected to be this way, and may very well want the better for her AND also ignore everything Asuna would lose growing up this way.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2014

835 by ejleon »»
May 28, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 27, 2014

611 by Bruh69XD »»
May 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

546 by amf85 »»
Apr 30, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

432 by amf85 »»
Apr 29, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

286 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 9:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.