Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 30, 2009 11:45 AM

Aug 2009
Snake is awaiting ^^
Aug 30, 2009 12:38 PM

Jul 2008
This episode had to be one of the best and now I have to wait another week to see this new "snake" character. Oh well.
Aug 30, 2009 1:21 PM

Feb 2009
Amazing episode, I like everything in ti, whether it's the new OP, or the violent and gruesome yet stylish action, or the dialogs. Senjougahara x Kanbaru at the end was nice too. :)
Aug 30, 2009 1:32 PM

Sep 2007
That was a good episode. The fight scene was pretty lolz when Kanbaru started swinging him by his intestines.
Aug 30, 2009 1:36 PM

Aug 2009
Hell yeah, that was strong.
Aug 30, 2009 1:39 PM

Nov 2008
Araragi certainly seemed to enjoy having Shinobu bite him. It's a good thing that Senjougahara hasn't seen the two of them together like that... <g>
Aug 30, 2009 1:47 PM

Mar 2008
Siva said:
I believe she is serious about killing someone if Araragi were to get killed. So I agree with you that a promise is important to her. But in this case, you could say that she knows who exactly Araragi is. He is the type of a person that would get himself killed just to save someone. I guess she probably take this into account and just go with his flow. Or as you said, she is seriously in love with him.
I agree. I also believe she would really kill somebody killing him. Scary girl. ^^
It's probably both: Really in love and accepting his nature and going along with it.
Aug 30, 2009 1:47 PM

Aug 2009
I liked that part a lot, fufufufu. Couldn't hold back from re-watching it a couple of times. xD [reference to pre-previous post]
Aug 30, 2009 2:00 PM
Jul 2008
Well the story of the mummified hand and how it grants a subconscious wish rather than twist an actual wish was interesting. The fact that it was gifted by Kanbaru's mother ,and not her father for instance, was also quite interesting (though perhaps tougher to interpret).
Though I do not dislike Kanbaru I find it quite hard to sympathize. She is such an incredibly cowardly person! I don't think I would risk my life to save her and I don't think Araragi's attitude is healthy.
I'm glad Senjougahara stepped in to save the day. :) Her compassion toward Kanbaru was of course a very good thing but I would have preferred if she had been angry as well (and shown it). She had reason to be angry with Araragi too, for he was basically throwing away his life in a futile attempt to rescue someone who had tried to kill him.
I didn't enjoy the fight scene at all and I don't see how the extra violence was necessary for the plot.
Once again, Kanbaru is not my favorite char (at all) but I'm glad things didn't end badly for her.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Aug 30, 2009 2:13 PM

Feb 2009
man did Araragi catch a beatdown, haven't seen something like that in a while <.<

overall another good epd I'd say.
SakuraForeverAug 30, 2009 4:30 PM
Aug 30, 2009 2:21 PM

May 2008
episode 8 definitely my favorite episode

graphic

Aug 30, 2009 2:56 PM

Jul 2008
LOL
dragafire said:

dam
That is what i call a Colorful Beatdown =D

new arc begins next ep
Aug 30, 2009 3:10 PM

Aug 2009
Fantastic episode. The rematch between Araragi and Suruga was very fluidly animated and looked great. Oshino shows us how much he pretty much knows his stuff and Hitagi was no slouch in pulling off the threats to Suruga/the demon if she killed Araragi.
Aug 30, 2009 3:58 PM

Sep 2008
I love how SHAFT is never too lazy to make a new op or ed when needed. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2009 4:01 PM

Jan 2009
Haha, I loved this episode... but I'm kind of confused on what happened at the end... I kind of got what happened... but not really... I know the wish got nullified but... why? Hmm... is it that on her second wish there were two parts to her wish? One was to be with Senjougahara (outside) and the other was jealousy which caused her to want to kill Araragi? When Senjougahara come she reminded him of the promise that she would kill her if she killed him? Thus she will not be able to be with her and making the wish impossible? (This can't be cause there is no way Oshino could have known that) Or is it because since Senjougahara showed compassion to her and she no longer wanted to kill him.
(attacking you[senjougahara] is what she[Kanbaru] really wanted)

"If one plan was to defeat the devil and make her hidden wish unable to be fulfilled" and another plan to reveal to Senjougahara that Kanbaru really wanted to kill me" "Making it impossible for the wish she showed to be fulfilled" "What's more, Senjougahara swore before the devil's eyes that she would kill Kanbaru if I were killed" "Without the devil knowing it would have not worked"

ooo wait... if Senjougahara knew that she killed Araragi then Senjougahara would definitely not want to be with Suruga due to obvious hate and thus the wish would cancel itself right? The devil had to know this information about what Senjougahara would do if she figured out that he was killed by her... but why would Araragi mention that " Senjougahara revenge killing" was apart of Oshino's plan? There was no way he could have known about that. I can understand why Araragi didn't do it in the beginning cause Araragi didn't want Senjougahara knowing and so he took his bag and used his cell. (if Araragi was ok with her knowing then could have avoided the suffering of intestinal throw if she could have came in the beginning (assuming the demon doesn't know what Kanburu does when she isn't possessed))

In short was it because what she consciously wished for and what she unconsciously wanted while she wished contradicted each other thus nullifying the wish? Is THAT what happened? The demon isn't aware of the information that Suruga obtains so someone had to tell her while she was possessed correct? But... if it was information why didn't Oshino just tell it to her face? Would she have not believed him? How did Oshino know of the fact that she would kill Kanburu if Kanburu killed Araragi?
-- edit
Or was knowing that she would hate Kanburu if Kanbura killed him? But that should already be a given that the demon already knows that (since it's so obvious)... and Araragi could have told it to her face... if he didn't figure it out Oshino could have told him to tell (if he was the genius who planned it all out) Maybe the demon would only believe Senjouhara's word's... that would make sense I guess.
--edit
the only thing that makes sense is Oshina didn't know about Senjouhara's killing Araragi's killer but assumed that she would hate the person who killed Araragi. The demon never thought that Senjouhara would hate the person who killed her lover. The demon would only believe Senjouhara's words and not listen to anyone else. Oshina knew that Araragi would not want to get Senjouhara involved so he chose to not tell him and took his bag w/o him knowing about his plan... and that his cell is in his bag and not in his pocket because the cell might get damaged from fighting and that he knew that he didn't forget to bring it that day. Demon found out due to Senjouhara's words and wanting to be with her and wanting to kill him canceled out and wish nulled... IS THAT IT?
JohnyBeGoodAug 30, 2009 4:17 PM
Aug 30, 2009 4:22 PM

May 2009
Okay that was one intense fight scene. My stomach is now in pain just from imagining, it's a good thing shaft decided to go in a more abstract way than realistic or I think I might have hurled. Bakemonogatari did not disappoint me on its level of violence and blood. Very nice episode. A little added bonus to the fight scene was getting to see Senjougahara in a hoodie and ponytail <3
Aug 30, 2009 4:23 PM

Jul 2008
Man, I thought this episode was really boring. I hope it picks up again in ep 9.
It was just visually boring. The other episodes were tripping me out.

Edit: Hi /a/.
hakufirefoxAug 30, 2009 4:49 PM
Aug 30, 2009 5:20 PM

Jun 2007
JohnyBeGood said:
Haha, I loved this episode... but I'm kind of confused on what happened at the end... I kind of got what happened... but not really... I know the wish got nullified but... why? Hmm... is it that on her second wish there were two parts to her wish? One was to be with Senjougahara (outside) and the other was jealousy which caused her to want to kill Araragi? When Senjougahara come she reminded him of the promise that she would kill her if she killed him? Thus she will not be able to be with her and making the wish impossible? (This can't be cause there is no way Oshino could have known that) Or is it because since Senjougahara showed compassion to her and she no longer wanted to kill him.
(attacking you[senjougahara] is what she[Kanbaru] really wanted)

Her verbal wish was to be with Senjougahara but her inner (real wish) was to kill Araragi. So yes each wish is made up of two parts, your verbal wish (which is what you want to happen), and your hidden inner wish (which is going to happen). The demon does the second wish in order to try and make the verbal wish come true.

The reason why the demon left was because it realized Kanbaru's wish would not come true. If Araragi was killed Kanbaru would be killed by Senjouga.

I sense more Kanbaru meddling in Senjouga and Araragi's relationship :(. The ending makes it seem like that which is stupid.
Aug 30, 2009 7:13 PM

Sep 2008
maybe because of the colors but smehow araragi`s battle looked to me like the opening of maria+holic
this arc was very intteresting, but what about his powers as a vampire?
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Aug 30, 2009 8:36 PM

Aug 2008
Even for SHAFT this episode was unnecessarily convoluted. The problem is that essentially the monkey's paw is a red herring, but it keeps popping up in the script and being referenced (even visually). Stuff getting explained upwards of 4 times (at the beginning, Oshino, Senjougahara, Kanbaru) not counting the explanation last episode was just more overkill. This is the first episode where I feel like no significant developments were made outside of saving the girl.

Weakest arc, but still an ok episode since I got to see the stylized fight. Studio DEEN should learn how to get around censors by being artistic, instead of just madly putting mosaic over everything.
Aug 30, 2009 8:44 PM

Jan 2009
WTF!? Was that Araragi thrown around by his intestines and still survives! Weird series...
Nice fight though, the music during the scene was particularly enjoyable.

Aug 30, 2009 9:23 PM

Aug 2008
That was f*cking impressive! Plus the fight seemed to have the feeling of the Maria+Holic OP. Once again Oshino & Araragi make everything right.
Aug 30, 2009 9:25 PM
May 2008
noteDhero said:
Even for SHAFT this episode was unnecessarily convoluted. The problem is that essentially the monkey's paw is a red herring, but it keeps popping up in the script and being referenced (even visually). Stuff getting explained upwards of 4 times (at the beginning, Oshino, Senjougahara, Kanbaru) not counting the explanation last episode was just more overkill. This is the first episode where I feel like no significant developments were made outside of saving the girl.

Weakest arc, but still an ok episode since I got to see the stylized fight. Studio DEEN should learn how to get around censors by being artistic, instead of just madly putting mosaic over everything.

Actually didn't Araragi and Senjougahara made some gains in developing their relationship because I felt they somehow did in this episode.

Senjougahara mentioned to Araragi that even though lying to her was a bad thing his way of taking this risky approach in saving Kanbaru was something that Senjougahara acknowledge about Araragi. The other interesting thing to take note is that Senjougahara would go as far as killing Kanbaru if she was successful in killing Araragi. In a sense, these developments seem to help make the relationship a little more meaningful than it is between these two characters.

As for the blood censors involving the paint at least it isn't something graphically gruesome that may bother certain audience members. :lol: Nonetheless, the censors obviously couldn't have been more creative especially since it is easy to recall the Maria+Holic opening theme song using this similar method. By the way, was it Studio DEEN that did the paint censors? ^^
Dark-EvolutionAug 30, 2009 9:28 PM
Aug 30, 2009 9:33 PM

Aug 2008
Actually no, we've already had Senjougahara tell Araragi that she found his selflessness endearing after the last arc. When she confessed she said that she fell in love because she thought that he would have tried to save both her and Mayoi regardless of whether or not he had powers (or something to that extent). She also said that would kill anyone who would take him away from her a couple of episodes ago. So that was merely a restatement of that great conversation at her house. That's why I felt like there was no development, it just rehashed stuff that was done more poignantly before. They should have focused more on Araragi breaking his promise with Senjougahara even though it was a promise he made. That hypocrisy and lack of consideration on his part could put him in more trouble relationship-wise.

And no, DEEN does Umineko no naku koro ni, which recently has had trouble getting a gruesome point across artistically, and just having huge mosaics censoring the mess. Much worse than just blacking stuff out or not showing it at all.
Aug 30, 2009 9:49 PM

Sep 2008
OP was nice. I liked how this arc ended.

needs moar Tsukihi/Karen.
Aug 30, 2009 9:56 PM

Jan 2009
+1 for morbid swinging by the intestines. You just don't see that in cartoons enough these days. You know, morbid violence.. I thought it was a good episode. Weird, but awesome. I really love this anime's openings and ending... Love the ending song. At the same time, love how each arc character gets their own opening. Shaft definitely gets extra points for effort. This anime should be longer than 15 eps...
Aug 30, 2009 10:28 PM

Jul 2007
Ararararagi was torn up again. He's starting to remind me of Kusakabe from Dokuro-chan lol
Anyway, the dialogue wasn't as engaging as in previous episodes but I did enjoy the artistic thrashing Araragi received.
Also, now that Kanbaru is on friendly terms I'm looking forward to seeing whats to come of the awkward love triangle, it should be amusing :]
Aug 30, 2009 11:02 PM

Oct 2007
porkypink said:
Very nice opening, this arc was fantastic. I might have puked if they actually showed the Araragi getting beaten up realist. Although, I really liked the color change of the blood.
Aug 30, 2009 11:50 PM

Aug 2008
Wasn't a fan of this episode.... hope the others will pick up the pace a bit.
Aug 30, 2009 11:54 PM

Jul 2009
Pink, blue and red! <3

When the rosario on her chest is taken off, Moka's vampire inner self awakes.
Aug 31, 2009 12:14 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
THAT WAS AWESOME.
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 31, 2009 12:34 AM

Aug 2009
I agree.
Aug 31, 2009 12:38 AM

Nov 2007
Nice episode =], so the next arc is snake related =O hmm ...
Aug 31, 2009 3:05 AM

Dec 2008
after the lame ep 7 this ep was awesome.

the into was great you could get a better understanding for kanbaru
I hope there will Shinobu in the next episode, the bloodsucking scene was some kind of cute ; )

the splatter fight looked disgusting , I felt like ready to puke.
Araragi fighting power was so inferior to that of the rainy devil.

Princess Senjougahara saved the day very that nice appearance scene of her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2009 4:54 AM

Jul 2009
Wow comparing Araragi's power to what we saw in Ep.1 OP he really has lost most all of his Vampire powers....
Anyway the 'fight'(aka Araragi getting used as a punching bag) was alright. It was very interesting what they had done with the blood anyway.
I liked that we got to see more from Meme and from Shinobu(So cute!).

All in all, Suruga Monkey isn't my favorite arc but it definitely wasn't bad either.
Though I think part of the reason for that was because I was wanting to see Nadeko Snake.
But now we have to wait for another week to pass.....
In the mean time enjoy some of this fine Nadeko fan art I found!

Close the world,
.txƎᴎ ɘht ᴎɘpO
Aug 31, 2009 5:12 AM

Dec 2008
-Secret- said:

In the mean time enjoy some of this fine Nadeko fan art I found!

Ah this is Nadeko
she's so cute with her hat on ; )
Aug 31, 2009 5:42 AM

Mar 2008
ColdBeans said:
WTF!? Was that Araragi thrown around by his intestines and still survives! Weird series...

Since he was a Vampire and still has some of their abilites to some degree left it's no surprise this level of damage wouldn't kill him.
Aug 31, 2009 5:52 AM

Apr 2009
Great episode =D

After see this i make this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_n-onBlN80

It remembers me a LITTLE Maria†Holic
XD
Aug 31, 2009 6:11 AM

Feb 2009
Episode 8 was a good one. Hopefully it gets better (or at the very least retains the quality) into the nadeko snake arc.
Aug 31, 2009 6:39 AM

Mar 2008
Kingwel said:
Great episode =D

XD

Haha! Nice one. Somehow really fitting.
Aug 31, 2009 7:18 AM

Jul 2009
Wew nice graphic for fighting there, i thought Senjougahara will be kinda angry to him when he was lying, but i kinda satisfied too.

Oh yeah Araragi is enjoying himself being beaten up by monkey, there is a hole in his belly!, and Senjougahra didn't even worried, is this the power of love? i like it.

Best romance anime i watched so far, lol, even though the genre is not romance.
Aug 31, 2009 8:27 AM

Apr 2009
Forever said:
Kingwel said:
Great episode =D

XD

Haha! Nice one. Somehow really fitting.

Thanks XD
Aug 31, 2009 8:59 AM

May 2009
rilwena (53.5% Female) said:
well i think this new OP is great (yuri lillies! :D) but i kinda feel it's just for this ep.

i totally LOVED the fighting scene! as far as i can tell, the kanji were given for the injuries araragi suffered. and the scene, well, SHAFT fans... remind you of something? cause this came to my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOHwVZc6QYY

Shaft does that for all their shit.

Awesome ep. Loved this arc alot. The fight was great too, nice as fuck
Aug 31, 2009 9:20 AM

Dec 2008
Laevantein said:

Oh yeah Araragi is enjoying himself being beaten up by monkey, there is a hole in his belly!, and Senjougahra didn't even worried, is this the power of love? i like it.

It's funny but strange at the same time, that Senjougahra didn't care about his injuries like in episode 6 XD
Aug 31, 2009 9:22 AM

Aug 2009
She's strange herself xD
Aug 31, 2009 9:29 AM

Jan 2009
Huh... Kanbaru was that jealous?: O
Ah~ Sweet, the fight-scene was epic. Colors, blood, and alot of gore. This episode was awesome, in a gruesome way.

What's more, Senjougahara.. she's.. Well, let's say there's solid reasoning behind her being my favorite anime character : D

And uhh... Damn I gotta read the prologue, Koyomi Vampire, I'm really interested about it now O.o

Hey cool op btw.
And I can't stress this enough, this is clearly the best anime this season. And I'll probably have a sadface for a while when it ends >.<
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 31, 2009 9:37 AM

Jul 2008
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, if they didn't use pretty pastel colors for all that blood and Araragi's intestines... I would've vomited like nuts. (Also because I watched it at 7:00am and was eating Cap'n Crunch. 2 bowls of it)
But instead I lol'd hard, especially when she swung him around like that. xD

It's 12:37pm and I still can't stop thinking and laughing about it. :P
Aug 31, 2009 9:56 AM

Feb 2009
Mari-chan said:
..when she swung him around like that. xD

I LOVED that scene.
Aug 31, 2009 9:59 AM

Apr 2009
Mari-chan said:
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, if they didn't use pretty pastel colors for all that blood and Araragi's intestines... I would've vomited like nuts. (Also because I watched it at 7:00am and was eating Cap'n Crunch. 2 bowls of it)
But instead I lol'd hard, especially when she swung him around like that. xD

It's 12:37pm and I still can't stop thinking and laughing about it. :P

lol
Aug 31, 2009 10:04 AM
Jul 2008
I really liked this episode, but I wish we could have seen the fight instead of all the text and so fourth.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

690 by animejas »»
Jun 5, 11:16 AM

» How did the main character didn't get killed in the final episode?

emryuu - May 30

1 by Merve2Love »»
May 30, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 31, 2009

357 by xVitro »»
May 21, 9:44 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.