Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Mar 26, 2010 1:04 AM

Nov 2009
I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED, BUT WHATEVER THAT WAS, THAT WAS GOLD.

@_@
Apr 5, 2010 5:28 PM

Dec 2009
Mind = Blown-into tiny bits and pieces. :D

One of the greatest accomplishments of mankind indeed!
Apr 8, 2010 5:35 AM
Feb 2010
(Simon should have banged Yoko though>.> but that would probably kill him)
ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY
Apr 9, 2010 9:02 AM

Aug 2009
Yoko got a shitty ending , enough said.

I didn't like the ending , not because of that Nia(i don't care about her) but because of Yoko and Simon. Simon becomes like what Taim says 1 page ago.7/10

Overall show: 9/10
Arc 1 was way better than 2 , poor Kamina.
Apr 10, 2010 9:19 AM

Jul 2009
Not the type of show that I would normally watch. It contained almost every cliche that I hate in anime. Yet, I turned my brain off to the ridiculousness of it all and in the end it was worth it. Had a blast watching it and I can see why its so highly rated. 7/10
Apr 12, 2010 9:28 PM
Apr 2010
Got part of that interview, would be interested in more. Glad he mentions Getter Robo :D.
Apr 18, 2010 11:06 PM

Jun 2009
Overrated in my opinion, but it does entertain me quite a bit.

The best part are 8~15 IMO. Nia helped Simon to change into a better person.

What I don't get the most is all the Kamina love... the guy's a buffoon...

7/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2010 10:11 PM

Nov 2009
NO! NIA!! WHYYYY DD:

*sheds many tears* gah I understand the logic behind her disappearing BUT STILL DX Poor Simon, even if he had accepted her death it's still way too sad ;__; Simon x Nia will always be one of my favorite pairings D:

ahem...anyways aside from Nia's death I really loved the last ep and it's a pretty good ending to the show. 8/10 from me, a bit cheesy and over the top at times (lol starfish glasses xD) but somehow it really drew me in c:
Apr 30, 2010 10:34 AM
Nov 2008
WOAH AWESOME ENDING! The second arc of the story is waaaaay better than the first one in my opinion. Oh and Nia disappeared! haha! That makes a lot of sense.
May 9, 2010 9:22 AM
Oct 2009
The ending fight was epic but the epilogue ruined it for me seeing simon just become a bum wandering all alone with his drill :( if they had just ended it at the credits it would have been a more satisfying end as it was open ended and no hard conclusion reached as to simons fate. so as far as unsatifying endings go this ranks up there death note for me.
DJ_HeadshotMay 9, 2010 9:26 AM
May 16, 2010 3:34 PM

May 2009
i'm going to miss this series...T_T every episode was epic (well except for the spa one >.>) and wow Nia is gone and so is Simon...looks like everyone moved on....well this series gets a 10/10 for its awesomeness
May 19, 2010 12:08 AM

Mar 2010
Fff, I'm just pissed at how Code Geass beat Gurren Lagann at all these award ceremonies simply because of popularity.
Code Geass has greater quantity of characters than quality, it's full of badly done fanservice (This was Kallen's main purpose in the show, to be a Miss Fanservice), the series is packed with deus ex machina, the character development is awful (TTGL has better character development and how) plus the pacing was just too rushed.

Code Geass season 1 was good but Code Geass season 2 was awful. The last episode was made to be all spectacular so that it would leave a lasting impression on the viewer. It's a common practise done by creators of a show to turn it up to 11 and make the viewer think that it was a "good show". When really, the show sucked.
Code Geass fanboys are gonna go crazy. Derpderpderp.

As for my opinion on TTGL. This was a brilliant coming of age anime. The ending had something which you don't find in many other anime titles, you just want more out of them after they've finished...but this one. It just feels complete.

Poor Nia though, I know alot of people think of her as a weak Mary sue but she isn't weak and she is no more Sueish than any other character on the show. Nia's strong because she keeps herself alive with sheer willpower for an enitre weak after the Anti-spiral have captured her just so she could mary Simon.
And Simon rushes across the entire universe, fights the most epic battle in the entire universe (Literally) whilst throwing fucking galaxies and CREATES THE HEAVENS just to rescue Nia.
If that's not true love then I don't know what is. <3

I wouldn't call this anime "manly" like many other people do because a true manly anime is like 'Great Teacher Onizuka'. This anime is definitely epic though. Very epic and drilltastic too 8D
People should watch this show, it'd make their inner-child happy and even if you weren't one of those kids who watched alot of cartoons. You still should, it'll increase your confidence tenfold.

SapphireStar26 said:
NO! NIA!! WHYYYY DD:

*sheds many tears* gah I understand the logic behind her disappearing BUT STILL DX Poor Simon, even if he had accepted her death it's still way too sad ;__; Simon x Nia will always be one of my favorite pairings D:

ahem...anyways aside from Nia's death I really loved the last ep and it's a pretty good ending to the show. 8/10 from me, a bit cheesy and over the top at times (lol starfish glasses xD) but somehow it really drew me in c:

Of course it was cheesy and over the top. XD
It's a parody of super robot anime, the show doesn't take itself seriously at all. If you were one of those kids who watched alot of Saturday morning cartoons or mecha anime, you'd get the humour. Especially the whole "Gattai!" thing =]
doujinshiMay 19, 2010 12:16 AM
May 24, 2010 9:18 PM

Nov 2007
A deserved Anime of the Year 2008 winner for you. Deserves a 10. Stop asking why. Irony is, I stalled into episode 4 when it was airing. This is the epicest mecha anime I have seen. Pity me for not watching it when it aired. :(

That being said, Kamina and Yoko hit my favourite characters list. and the anime hits my top 5. I guess it will remain there for quite a while, its impossible to find anime which has great plot, great characters, their developments and most importantly, an ending worth remembering. Add to those, awesome spirit, insane actions and kickass the butt of reasoning. A true masterpiece. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 27, 2010 1:04 AM

Mar 2010
shanimebib said:
A deserved Anime of the Year 2008 winner for you. Deserves a 10. Stop asking why. Irony is, I stalled into episode 4 when it was airing. This is the epicest mecha anime I have seen. Pity me for not watching it when it aired. :(

That being said, Kamina and Yoko hit my favourite characters list. and the anime hits my top 5. I guess it will remain there for quite a while, its impossible to find anime which has great plot, great characters, their developments and most importantly, an ending worth remembering. Add to those, awesome spirit, insane actions and kickass the butt of reasoning. A true masterpiece. :)

The plot was absolutely absurd yet it reached extreme heights at times.
The soundtrack and artwork is badass.
But the CHARACTERS and sheer EPIC are just woah *_*
TTGL <3
doujinshiMay 27, 2010 5:06 AM
May 29, 2010 1:34 AM

Dec 2009
this anime is probably considered as one of my fav of all time its just so epic!!
The ending of this anime is really good it was done really well, unlike some where the ending just ruins it but this ones good..

i feel sorry for simon, didnt expect Nia to disappear i mean he should at leat deserve some peace and love but i guess peace was good enogh for him, he took it like a true hero

" Believe in yourself, not you, who i believe in, not me, who believes in you. Believe in you who believes in himself " Kamina
May 30, 2010 12:10 PM

Jun 2008
BlackbirdMerle said:

The plot was absolutely absurd yet it reached extreme heights at times.
The soundtrack and artwork is badass.
But the CHARACTERS and sheer EPIC are just woah *_*
TTGL <3
The plot was more simple and straightforward rather than absurd imo. I mean, it's typical for a save the world kind of plot. They just had a fight with galaxies thrown around, which is ridiculously absurd... and epic!
May 30, 2010 10:25 PM

Jun 2009
I think my brain just exploded.

A bunch of people died. Massive explosions. Simon leaving? After credits..OMG THEY'RE ALL OLD lol

I think I might have cried. This show was AMAZING!!!!
May 31, 2010 3:54 AM

Mar 2010
Tachii said:
The plot was more simple and straightforward rather than absurd imo. I mean, it's typical for a save the world kind of plot. They just had a fight with galaxies thrown around, which is ridiculously absurd... and epic!

The plot was absurd because it was completely illogical, contrary to all reason or common sense.
May 31, 2010 4:56 AM

Jan 2009
BlackbirdMerle said:
Tachii said:
The plot was absurd because it was completely illogical, contrary to all reason or common sense.
Which, of course, contributed to how epic this was~
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 31, 2010 5:40 AM

Jun 2008
BlackbirdMerle said:
Tachii said:

It was? I kind of forgot except they had to save the world from being destroyed by the Antispirals, who, ironically, were a Spiral once, I think.
May 31, 2010 8:10 PM

May 2010
Could the beginning of the episode get anymore epic? Just sums up the whole series and the whole experience.
Jun 2, 2010 1:13 AM

Mar 2010
Tachii said:
It was? I kind of forgot except they had to save the world from being destroyed by the Antispirals, who, ironically, were a Spiral once, I think.

But even Kamina states, "Kick reason to the curb and do the impossible!"
The series doesn't take itself seriously at all and it's a very soft sci-fi.
Nothing in the show actually makes sense logically XD
Jun 4, 2010 6:44 PM

Jan 2010
Such a great show, one of the greatest series of all time, IMO. Couldn't have ended better ^^
Jun 4, 2010 7:56 PM

Jun 2008
BlackbirdMerle said:
Tachii said:

I don't think so. It tried to be serious, well, very serious, when he died. I was kinda sad myself for like 2 episodes. I don't know how anyone can deny the seriousness of that. The ending was also pretty serious, I took it.

Too many people have call TTGL completely nonsensical. And it was serious when it needed it (but sometimes it felt rushed). Even Kamina wasn't a crazy buffoon 24/7 when he was in the show.

The plot I guess was absurd, in that everything they've done was totally ridiculous and over-the-top, but the basic premise of maintaining/obtaining the freedom of humanity made sense.
Jun 5, 2010 1:03 AM

Mar 2010
Tachii said:

Well, it was a parody of super robot anime. So it was made to be absurd but at cetain points
Tachii said:
BlackbirdMerle said:
Tachii said:

I don't think so. It tried to be serious, well, very serious, when he died. I was kinda sad myself for like 2 episodes. I don't know how anyone can deny the seriousness of that. The ending was also pretty serious, I took it.

Too many people have call TTGL completely nonsensical. And it was serious when it needed it (but sometimes it felt rushed). Even Kamina wasn't a crazy buffoon 24/7 when he was in the show.

The plot I guess was absurd, in that everything they've done was totally ridiculous and over-the-top, but the basic premise of maintaining/obtaining the freedom of humanity made sense.

The anime is a parody of the super robot robot golden age shows in the 80's so it kinda needed to be absurd but I agree that it did become quite deep at times.
It spread a great message and it has the ability to make your confidence grow. I'm not kidding, alot of people tell me that after watching this show. They feel more cofident. 8-o
I still kinda wish this anime won 2007 for best anime and not Code Geass. Not that Code Geass is bad but I just felt that TTGL deserved it more.
Plus everybody on 4chan was bitching about how TTGL should of won.

R.I.P Kamina.
NEVER FORGET.

LAST EPISODE - BRIX WERE SHAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oSV4k1WAgw
For the lulz.
doujinshiJun 5, 2010 1:07 AM
Jun 13, 2010 8:39 AM

Jun 2008
lolman, I don't remember how many times I say who the hell do you think I am after the show to random people. I don't really gain confidence watching any shows, but it gives me motivation, so it's all good.
Jun 15, 2010 3:28 PM

Feb 2009
I love you Gainax.

I've never watched anything so immensely huge.
Jun 17, 2010 2:23 AM
Jul 2008
taim said:

I found it kind of sad that to win Simon had to become another Kamina, while all Kamina wanted for him was to be himself. It looked like Simon spit all over his grave when he copied Kamina's demeanor and looks. (and then Kamina in ep 26 was all "Cool story bro." WTF, I ask, wtf?)

I agree. Not completely, but in general, yes. I didn't like how Simon basically became Kamina. Recklessness and all. It was so far from his original personality. I did enjoy seeing that he had a visual resemblance to him at the end though. It solidified that they were brothers for me. A kind of passing of the torch if you will. Although, I miss Simon's first pair of goggles.

In all, I wished we had more time and development with Kamina and Simon. Their time together was definitely too short.

And WTF? They epically short-changed Yoko! How in the world is a woman supposed to survive losing TWO men in the exact same way? Kiss, I love you, time to die! Who could live sanely after that? I don't care that it proves how strong she is, that's just cruel. I'm ok with her not having a happy ending, but did they really have to die the same way?

8/10 (8 because the first... 10 episodes were epic)
Jun 17, 2010 4:19 AM

Feb 2009
layhas said:
taim said:

I found it kind of sad that to win Simon had to become another Kamina, while all Kamina wanted for him was to be himself. It looked like Simon spit all over his grave when he copied Kamina's demeanor and looks. (and then Kamina in ep 26 was all "Cool story bro." WTF, I ask, wtf?)

I agree. Not completely, but in general, yes. I didn't like how Simon basically became Kamina. Recklessness and all. It was so far from his original personality. I did enjoy seeing that he had a visual resemblance to him at the end though. It solidified that they were brothers for me. A kind of passing of the torch if you will. Although, I miss Simon's first pair of goggles.

In all, I wished we had more time and development with Kamina and Simon. Their time together was definitely too short.

And WTF? They epically short-changed Yoko! How in the world is a woman supposed to survive losing TWO men in the exact same way? Kiss, I love you, time to die! Who could live sanely after that? I don't care that it proves how strong she is, that's just cruel. I'm ok with her not having a happy ending, but did they really have to die the same way?

8/10 (8 because the first... 10 episodes were epic)

No.

Think again, Simon didn't become Kamina, Simon looked up to Kamina and ddeveloped his own style an personality following the person he admired and loved the most. He didn't become Kamina, he had Kamina's will in his heart.
Jun 23, 2010 12:17 PM
Apr 2009
I've wanted to ask this for some time, but was there any significance in Yoko throwing the ring back to Simon at the end?
Jun 24, 2010 11:25 AM

Jun 2010
I agree with most of you who said that "THIS IS THE BEST ANIME."
For me, what makes this anime awesome is the characteristic of Simon and Yoko, why?
Cuz both of them lost 2 people that important to them (Kamina, Kittan, and Nia).
I just can't imagine how a hero feels that all of their fight had succeed but in the end they didn't get what a hero suppose to get. It will be better for them to die then.
But in fact Yoko continue her life as teacher for the next generation. Well at least she still had something to do.
For Simon?? Wandering around the world without any goal?? Even when I saw the movie lagann-hen: he tries to help people to found water and tells them to plant flowers, I still can't imagine what does he feel throughout that 20 years in the suffering for losing Nia, how he brought the title as a driller, and still he keep smiling.
A normal person will say "How can it be? All of my fight only brought me to this?" Wonder if a person can be like Simon, that's really AMAZING.
And last thing from me, can Gainax continue this story with one more movie and ends it more Awesome than this? Even I already said that this is the best anime I've ever seen. It seems to be very hard to do it cuz everyone has aging now like Simon 14+7+20, But the last thing they haven't discovered is the spiral in all of galaxy, and spiral nemesis.
Sorry for bad grammar and I think is this a spoiler?
Jun 25, 2010 1:36 AM

Mar 2010
NightBaron said:
I've wanted to ask this for some time, but was there any significance in Yoko throwing the ring back to Simon at the end?

I'm not sure but there's alot of symbolism in this show.
Jun 27, 2010 3:47 AM

Apr 2010
Best Space-like anime... ever........

I find some things they say quite hilarious though... haha..
was reading it from somewhere and they say that if you change the word drill to something else.. (yeah... u knw wat I'm thinking)
its really funny.. xD

anyways.... good ending 11/10
Jun 28, 2010 12:51 PM
Jun 2010
can anyone PLEASE explain me the intro of episode 1 then? I thought its gonna be the ending, or like 1-2 episodes before the ending... but it isn't so what is it i just cant live without understanding it!
Jun 28, 2010 1:37 PM

Sep 2009
Loved the episode
the battle was epic
Jul 1, 2010 7:14 PM

May 2010
epic battle..

the ending was pretty sad.. :(

good series overall..
Jul 3, 2010 10:52 PM

Jan 2010
kinda late to the party because i JUST finished watching it tonight.

but can we talk about how rossui looks in the end..LOOOOOL
Jul 12, 2010 6:46 PM

Mar 2010
stoylz said:
I guess the anime was okay but im not really a big fan of mecha :/
I would rated higher if yoko and simon ended up together in the end.

No.
Jul 16, 2010 2:14 AM

Jul 2009
man... fuck that ending
Jul 18, 2010 8:07 PM

Apr 2010
WOW. Just WOW. What an inspirational story.
Jul 19, 2010 1:31 PM

Jan 2010
Awesome ending, kind of sad Simon and Nia didn't get to be married and happy, but overall it was really good. But overall this anime was one hell of a ride that entertained me throughout the whole series.
Jul 20, 2010 4:56 PM
Mar 2010
It's sad that Nia disappeared, but not as bad since they both accepted it. The best part of the episode was when each Gurren form kept getting caught, then the smaller version would pop out and keep going forward. Epic victory.

I actually didn't see the very last part of the epilogue, my friend turned off the episode at the start of the ending credits.
Jul 24, 2010 8:04 PM

May 2010
GraveHorizon said:
It's sad that Nia disappeared, but not as bad since they both accepted it. The best part of the episode was when each Gurren form kept getting caught, then the smaller version would pop out and keep going forward. Epic victory.

I actually didn't see the very last part of the epilogue, my friend turned off the episode at the start of the ending credits.

At the epilogue, it just shows how the various characters have moved on 20 years later with characters such as Yoko working at the schoolhouse, Viral leading a fleet to visit other planets and it shows how Simon ended up becoming a wanderer while keeping watch of everyone else. It kind bugged me how most of the characters look like they're 60+ years old in the epilogue. If they were around 20 something in the second half of the show, shouldn't they only look like they're in their 40s?

I actually just finished watching the entire series just now and found it extremely satisfying. I actually shed some manly tears at the wedding scene upon realizing that Simon and Nia couldn't be together despite all their hardships. But overall it was one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in quite some time despite some minor flaws.

9/10
Jul 27, 2010 9:59 AM
Jan 2008
It's taken me a year to finish, but I finally managed it. Wow.
Why so long? I wanted to own all the DVDs rather than watch online. Simple as xD

That aside, I watched the last 9 episodes in one day. Sensational. Gurren Lagann will pretty much be one of my favourite anime series from now on. The fights in this episode were fantastic, plus that finisher! Constant GL ejects ending in a finishing Lagann drill to the face :D
Poor Simon and Mia...

So glad to see an epilogue following the ending though. Simon and Yoko kinda vanished from everyone though.. ^^;
Jul 28, 2010 6:18 PM
Sep 2009
EPIC.

I can say that I totally saw Nia disappearing from a mile away, but still, EPIC.
Jul 30, 2010 11:22 AM

Jul 2010
When Kamina said for the first time: "Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!" - I never expected it to go down like this. The battle with the Anti-Spirals was pure awesomeness. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was amazing when everyone fought together.

I'm okay with Simon and Nia; despite wanting him to be with Yoko in the beginning. She's grown on me during this arc. I didn't like her as much when she was first introduced and when she turned all Anti-Spiral it was a major turnoff. But the marriage scene was cool. Good to see Simon have his dream come true; despite Nia's final disappearance.

The time jump ending was absolutely brilliant. It's pretty nostalgic seeing Simon all grown up and that cocunut kid -- it reminds me of Kamina and his father. Gimmy has the core drill to continue Simon's legacy and it seems Rossiu is doing a great job. I was really happy it ended this way. One of the most brilliant endings to a fantastic anime. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann will definitely go in my books as the greatest anime I have ever watched.

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!"
JawaeseJul 30, 2010 11:25 AM
Aug 1, 2010 9:54 PM

Apr 2009
GAINAX did it again eh.? so happy to watched it..:)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2010 6:14 AM
Mar 2010
ooooo nice
Aug 17, 2010 7:15 PM
Aug 2010
There's only one thing that bothered me about the ending: Nia's death.

Now, even though it was sad, it's not the fact that she dies that bothers me. I'm willing to accept the death itself just as I would accept some freak car crash or the like; death (as it happened) is not something that can or should be controlled.

What got to me is that they left what happened to Nia after her disintegration a mystery. Since she was physically just a program, did she completely cease to exist, her apparent spirit included, or did she go on to the afterlife, as anything with a spirit would?

I realize the question itself precludes that there is even an afterlife in the Gurren Lagann universe, but I personally took the appearance of the fallen members of the Dai Gurren Brigade in episode 26 as literally the spirits of the people themselves (if it were just Simon's imagination, everything the Anti Spiral said about the labyrinth is completely miscalculated, something I just don't buy). Thus, to me, the existence of a GL afterlife is confirmed So, my question remains as to whether Nia is at least waiting to be reunited with Simon one day, after Simon's death.

If not, then the writers basically did everything they could possible do to throw Simon into absolute despair, no matter how resilient he may be. He literally has nothing to look forward to, nothing.

I would have really appreciated a scene of a Nia "ghost" at the end, watching Simon from the distance. Or, even Simon dying and being reunited with Nia. The fact that they left Nia's fate after death unaccounted for just eats away at any peace of mind one may have (over the series, at any rate).
Aug 21, 2010 9:22 AM
Jun 2010
I'm not really fan of Gainax's work but I have to say TTGL was interesting, I rate it 7/10. Maybe my problem was that I can't laugh and take something serious AT THE SAME TIME.

The last battle is epic

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann turned out the be the strongest and biggest mecha in the universe (lol)
supersayenAug 21, 2010 10:38 AM

Pages (24) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 3, 2007

100 by OfficerTwigs »»
Jun 24, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.