Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 23, 2016 7:07 AM

Aug 2011
Today is pure Court scene as we all know. Since investigation part should've aired on previous episode. But 99% of it didn't included.
I liked today's episode, still pacing is too rushed as previous episodes. And feeling is not really as we played the games. Because it's cutting out some things from court scenes.
If possible I'd like to make it longer.
IMHO I think this case should've run 4 episodes long.

From the next episode preview, it seems they're cutting-off investigation part as well. Damn.
It'll just become boring if all episode takes place in Court.
AA games are fantastic because its build-up takes place in Investigation and climax takes place in Court.

But anime is ditching the Investigation part completely. It's just wrong.
I think no ladder and step-ladder joke :(
bxyhxyhApr 23, 2016 7:17 AM
Sorry for my bad English.
Apr 23, 2016 7:12 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The spirit channeling caught me off guard.

But i liked the episode.
Apr 23, 2016 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
I liked the idea used in pressure scenes, instead of cutting it all, they showed parts of it even being fast.

Didn't show Konaka (Redd White) blackmailing Hoshikage, but at least Chihiro (Mia) said again that Konaka blackmails politicians, celebrities and the minister of justice, fine.
Apr 23, 2016 7:28 AM

Aug 2011
wtf are these lol
Apr 23, 2016 7:44 AM
Feb 2013
Still disappointed in the music of this series. It's such an important aspect for setting the suspense and triumph moments.

Hm, so case 2 finished in 3 episodes, if it continues like this, then I'd assume Case 3 will probably be finished by episode 7, and case 4 might be...5 episodes? I hope, they should take as much time as they need with case 4 since its one of the best cases in the series.

If it were up to me, I'd finish case 3 in just 2 episodes since its not very good, and spend the rest of the cour on Case 4. Flesh it out as much as possible.
KendiKongApr 23, 2016 7:59 AM
Apr 23, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2015
This episode was a lot better then the 1st 3 eps ...
Apr 23, 2016 8:15 AM

Sep 2013
It's still a painfully average adaptation, but this episode was the best so far.
Apr 23, 2016 8:27 AM
Apr 2016
LMAO when they say Miso Ramen and the subs says burgers XDDD

I'm glad they won't be skipping Samurai's case, can't wait to see Oldbag XD
Apr 23, 2016 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
simonli2575 said:
3D people is best looking people. 5/7

Still frame would be whole universe better than this crap :D
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 23, 2016 9:12 AM

Mar 2012
I wonder how many eps they will use for case 3 since it's longer than case 2
Apr 23, 2016 9:45 AM

Jun 2014
So Naruhodo saved his ass with some spiritual assistance from Chihiro. If this spiritual channeling thing is going to become commonplace, then maybe a supernatural tag should be added to the genre lol. I still crack up every time Red White speaks, that Engrish is too funny. And I'm still bothered by the localization of miso ramen = burgers. I want to actually see Mayoi eating in an episode so we can see what they would actually show her eating. Whatever though, onto the next case.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 23, 2016 9:57 AM

Apr 2013
The moment when the Steel Samurai theme started playing, I jizzed in my pants. OH YES!!

Otherwise, although the pacing is a lot better in my opinion, seeing how they dedicate this entire trail into a single episode, and the changes they made, such as Maya covering up for Phoenix (Phoenix was still a newbie, and Phoenix did mention Maya being rather sharp in the games); as well as that epic evidence attack from Mia.

I think it's the right idea to remove the left/right inconsistency and jump straight into the glass stand issue, some clever directing, this is.

Apr 23, 2016 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
Now people can understand why would be a waste of time Naruhodou crying a lot for Chihiro's death, why crying for a character that would come back for the anime? Not even did they spend time on more important things for this adaptation. However he was sad in house and office, really a fast scene, but he did.

Yeah, did you see it? Supernatural of course! Now you see it isn't a usual courtroom show, and nothing weird coming from Japan or animes.

thebrentinator24 said:
(...) If this spiritual channeling thing is going to become commonplace, then maybe a supernatural tag should be added to the genre lol (...)

I don't think that supernatural is so significant/meaningful, for me Chihiro is just a character that didn't left the plot/story even being dead lol (she will appears again, not really a spoiler ... I guess ... :x). But maybe you're right, put a tag is the right thing to do.
Apr 23, 2016 10:17 AM

Jan 2008
I see that the adaptation tries its hardest to ship Phoenix and Maya. Whatever floats their boats I guess, but God, don't wish-wash Maya in the process. She is saved by Phoenix more often than not, but they are trying too hard to fit her into typical damsel in distress archetype. Go home, A-1 Pictures, you're doing it wrong.
Apr 23, 2016 10:43 AM

Aug 2011
thebrentinator24 said:
I want to actually see Mayoi eating in an episode so we can see what they would actually show her eating. Whatever though, onto the next case.
It doesn't show up in the game, so I think it won't happen.
Apr 23, 2016 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
It was the best episode so far.

Mia saved the day!
Apr 23, 2016 10:51 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Odous said:

I think it's the right idea to remove the left/right inconsistency and jump straight into the glass stand issue, some clever directing, this is.
I thought that was not really good idea. Removing that would makes him less suspicious.
If you press him on this sentence, he even says "then i've chased after her"
Apr 23, 2016 10:54 AM

Dec 2015
Let the speed run investigation for steel samurai commence!
Apr 23, 2016 11:00 AM

Jun 2013
so now he's the suspect and he will defend himself
Apr 23, 2016 11:39 AM
Jul 2014
Ciara said:
I see that the adaptation tries its hardest to ship Phoenix and Maya. Whatever floats their boats I guess, but God, don't wish-wash Maya in the process. She is saved by Phoenix more often than not, but they are trying too hard to fit her into typical damsel in distress archetype. Go home, A-1 Pictures, you're doing it wrong.

Phoenix looks more like the damsel in distress to me xD like, Maya found the contradiction twice, and then the channeling. Phoenix, come on, you can do better than that (I don't know if it's just me but he feels cheesier in the anime than in the game...) !
Maya definitely has been moefied by the adaptation though. I don't really mind because she's adorable, but I'm looking forward to more expressions of hers. Like, more mischievious and the sulky face too !

bxyhxyh said:

But anime is ditching the Investigation part completely. It's just wrong.
I think no ladder and step-ladder joke :(

='( A-1, please don't skip that most crucial moment of our investigations !
Apr 23, 2016 11:55 AM

Nov 2010
garbage/5

I can't watch this anymore... play the game people. This story is just too good to experinece it in such a butchered way. I mean, where is the epic soundtrack? Where is the tension? Where is the epicness? There's none of it, unlike in the game.
Apr 23, 2016 12:19 PM
Apr 23, 2016 12:33 PM

Dec 2014
After all that he just gets saved by a spirit in the end. He was going to lose but no he gets saved by a girl channeling her dead sister to notice the receipt and to get the guy to confess to the murder. Bleh, I'm not a fan.
Apr 23, 2016 12:34 PM

Sep 2015
Cheesy/10

And needed more "Yes, I do".

You just lost the game
Apr 23, 2016 12:49 PM

Jan 2008
xXKeikoChanXx said:
Phoenix looks more like the damsel in distress to me xD

In the anime? Definitely! Phoenix was always grasping at straws and bluffing the hell outta these trials, but it's like they tried to make Maya more relevant than Phoenix. Okay, we get it, she's cute, don't take Phoenix's work away for him, okay? Altough Anime!Nick feels completely like a different character than Game!Nick. No sardonic comments, no smarty-pants inner monologue, no edge. He feels like a stample shounen MC with a good portion of bland added to the mix. When the most colourful (and I'm not talking about his design!) guy in the cast is Redd White - the antagonist you should be booing - you know something is off.

xXKeikoChanXx said:
Maya definitely has been moefied by the adaptation though.

Yeah, that what irks me too. Maya in the game is this lovely package of charming, quirky and mature at the right moments. What we get in the anime? Sighs, shiptease, seiyuu that's more fitting for main romantic option in some romance anime. Maybe it's fine: Phoenix is a bland shounen MC, while she is taken outta harem. I seriously don't like the characterization in this adaptation (among other things: Ace Attorney's anime is mediocre at best), one Edgeworth is passable. And that's only because he doesn't get more to his persona outside "cold, awful prosecutor" before Samurai Turnabout.
Apr 23, 2016 12:57 PM

Feb 2015
Basically Supernatural power save the day.

i like episode 1,2 and 3 but this one....well, i enjoyed it, but for some reason, i think it was very stupid. that supernatural power scene that really bothers me. i think that was really stupid, on top of that, they use it in a show where the people are talking to eachother logicaly. if you put supernatural aspect in logical show, it makes me think it's stupid. but either way i enjoyed it, 4/5
hope i won't see that supernatural thing again. it's ruin the show imo.
Apr 23, 2016 1:27 PM

Jan 2015
Ciara said:

In the anime? Definitely! Phoenix was always grasping at straws and bluffing the hell outta these trials, but it's like they tried to make Maya more relevant than Phoenix. Okay, we get it, she's cute, don't take Phoenix's work away for him, okay? Altough Anime!Nick feels completely like a different character than Game!Nick. No sardonic comments, no smarty-pants inner monologue, no edge. He feels like a stample shounen MC with a good portion of bland added to the mix. When the most colourful (and I'm not talking about his design!) guy in the cast is Redd White - the antagonist you should be booing - you know something is off.

how had I not noticed this ... oh my :0

As I see Phoenix/Naruhodou looks weak (anime, and Miles/Kenji too), but I could not understand exactly why, I thought it was because of the short cross-examination. Indeed, this is a serious lack in his personality.
Apr 23, 2016 1:29 PM
Mar 2016
That all for now, so what's net for the lawyer? And it looks like the lolicon relationship begins.
Apr 23, 2016 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Foking magic! I would be absolutely fine with it if not for that last list she threw on him, it would be a lot better if they didn't solve whole case with knowledge of dead woman.
This was almost like cheating.

Even that, I enjoyed this episode literally from beginning to the end, it's pacing was good and it was executed well.
Wonder if Chihiro appears from time to time in upcoming episodes too.
Apr 23, 2016 1:48 PM

May 2009
Finally... Case closed, show dropped. This is just too stupid/annoying for me to watch.
Apr 23, 2016 1:54 PM

Dec 2013
I seriously don't get this show.... In which country is it better to confess that one has committed a murder over confessing to blackmailing politicians and movie stars?

If the dude had just confessed to blackmail, it would have been a much lighter sentence anyway, no? It's not like those people that he blackmailed couldn't help get him out or anything, he STILL has the dirt on those people afterall...
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 23, 2016 1:56 PM

Oct 2012
It's a shame they left out the "direction Mia ran" thing. As other people said, leaving it out makes White look less suspicious. It's only on this episode that I realized 24 minutes is not enough for a game like this.

That said, I did really appreciate the part where Phoenix was desperately trying to cross-examine White and when he was clawing over evidence.

Also, I didn't like how they cut the Pursuit theme short, and went to a much calmer march right afterwards. Could have kept the song going. :

I'm loving Maya's voice more and more with each episode.

Also, I noticed a weird effect. In some scenes, it's as if the whole video was darkened, before brightening up again in the next scene. It really threw me off.
EpicCh33seApr 23, 2016 2:04 PM
Apr 23, 2016 2:00 PM

Dec 2015
It was okay. Since I don't know the games and I don't like the judicial system I'll drop this show here aftere episode 4.

Once you get used to it the comedy is okay. Also the whole judicial system feels like comedy.

But story/plot is not that interesting. I wanted to know about the big company guy which made me watch up until episode 4. But not that this is finished and some other boring cases might start I'll drop it.

I'd prefer a more serious show where the prosecutor and judge try to get to the truth instead of just winning a case (prosecutor) or being utterly stupid (judge).

Also the supernatural stuff (girl getting possesed by the death woman which then helps the main) is not something I like in this context.
Apr 23, 2016 2:24 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
ehhhh i'm not a big fan of the supernatural stuff. :/

oh well.
Apr 23, 2016 2:27 PM

Jan 2008
I didn't think much of it when playing the game, but when watching Wright/Naruhodo get arrested, I realize just how messed up their justice system is; when all it takes is for someone to point their finger and say "it was him!!" to get the police to arrest and immediately indict someone for murder, with zero police testimony before the trial (when they normally do questioning on the POI first). As to why he confessed, I'm guessing he would have been in prison a lot longer for countless crimes that would add up and put him away until he dies of old age, than one count of murder which he still has a chance of getting out alive, especially if on good behavior--something I think is stupid in of itself .

As for the supernatural element in this series, it may seem out of place, and yes, at the beginning, it's just a sentimental plot device for now. But it plays a heavy role throughout, later building up to the climactic end of a certain evil person....though I don't know if they'll animate it that far in this season.

Get ready for the most obnoxious, annoying, cringe inducing woman in the entire series franchise next week.
Estoy_GordoApr 23, 2016 2:35 PM
Apr 23, 2016 2:30 PM

Dec 2011
It kinda ruined it for me when he still needed help from Chihiro when she is dead already... but I guess it will happen again due to Mayoi's channeling power.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2016 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
Whoahoho said:
That all for now, so what's net for the lawyer? And it looks like the lolicon relationship begins.

Maya is 17 years old.
Apr 23, 2016 2:41 PM
Jan 2009
L-Ryoshi said:
I seriously don't get this show.... In which country is it better to confess that one has committed a murder over confessing to blackmailing politicians and movie stars?

If the dude had just confessed to blackmail, it would have been a much lighter sentence anyway, no? It's not like those people that he blackmailed couldn't help get him out or anything, he STILL has the dirt on those people afterall...

If the list was sent to any newspaper it would ruin a ton of powerful people that would be incriminated, and would seek vegenace against Redd. He would live in fear of such retribution and would probably get killed by some hitmen sent by the less savory names listed.

Being prosecuted in AA universe is a scary experience redgardless of your social status: trials are long only 3 days top (and often are a quick 1 or 2 days affair), there is no appeal and the "guity" verdict is the most common. At the start of AA1 the law system is seriously rigged against the defendant by design. This is why Redd blackmailing was so effective against politicians and the like.

Redd himself states (in game at least) that his "clients" are generous but also expect total anonymity.

After all this was the motive beyond the murder and the fact Redd dirtied his hands by killing Mia himself: he couldn't risk anybody else recovering the list and recognizing its value.
Dark_KainApr 23, 2016 5:04 PM
Apr 23, 2016 4:21 PM

Apr 2013
L-Ryoshi said:

He wasn't scared of the courts. Was probably scared of getting killed
Apr 23, 2016 5:39 PM

Apr 2015
In violation with:
Knox 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 8th
and Van Dines 1st, 5th, 8th, 10th, 15th, 17th, 19th, and 20th b)
Repeat_it_in_redApr 23, 2016 5:42 PM
Apr 23, 2016 6:01 PM

Sep 2013
It'd be nice if they made Phoenix slightly more competent.

In the game, you're forced to rely on Mia for the last piece of evidence on the receipt. But really, Phoenix should've realised that the lamp was new since he works there. >.<
Apr 23, 2016 6:18 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
The closure was nicely done. The anime courtroom is a tightly run affair with delays, hidden evidence, and screaming in the middle of the courtroom by a lawyer. All is fair in the imagination and anime law proceedings.
Apr 23, 2016 7:23 PM

Sep 2014
Exciting episode. Things seem to be getting better for the anime, which is good. That possession part was weird though. .. why did it change her physical appearance? lol.

I also hated that purple hair guy. The way he acted was pretty ugly.
Apr 23, 2016 7:35 PM

Nov 2008
Repeat_it_in_red said:
In violation with:
Knox 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 8th
and Van Dines 1st, 5th, 8th, 10th, 15th, 17th, 19th, and 20th b)

For comparison, this case in the game breaks Knox 1st and Van Dine 17th and 19th too. Although this case was short, so Knox 1st doesn't feel like it should apply.

Since at no point in the game guessing is a viable tactic, so the case in the game doesn't break Knox 8th or Van Dine 1st.

It's hard for me to tell if this case in the game breaks Knox 6th or Van Dine 5th or 15th.

As for Van Dine 20th, the case in the game definitely doesn't break it (and that's one of many reasons why this anime sucks) – Phoenix finds the list in Mia's files, not gets it written down by a spirit medium.

As for supernatural stuff in general (Knox 2nd and Van Dine 8th), the first game uses it only to give hints to Phoenix, usually those hints would be obvious to someone smarter. I don't know if preventing Phoenix from being an idiot and not looking at the evidence is a violation, but that's all Mia's spirit does in the game.

Nicromatic said:
In the game, you're forced to rely on Mia for the last piece of evidence on the receipt. But really, Phoenix should've realised that the lamp was new since he works there. >.<

You're making a really good point here, but on the other hand what would happen?
"OBJECTION! That stand was bought merely few days ago!"
"That's interesting. But since you're the defendant, I can't accept your words without external evidence. Do you have any?"
"..."

And back to not knowing about the receipt.

Konoetan said:
That possession part was weird though. .. why did it change her physical appearance? lol.

I guess it's probably because the game did it: you can't change voice in an unvoiced game, and name change is not that noticeable, so they went full oppai, and the anime simply follows suit.

---

Now, about the anime... I'll stick for one episode more. One last chance for the show to redeem itself. I liked the Turnabout Samurai case, and I guess it's a bit more "normal" than Turnabout Sisters, so maybe, just maybe, it won't suck that much.
Apr 23, 2016 7:42 PM

Aug 2012
Yet another miso ramen = burger. Turned out they're gonna adapt the Turnabout Samurai case (1-3). Oh crap that annoying old hag gonna get animated
(゚ д゚ lll)

Konoetan said:
That possession part was weird though. .. why did it change her physical appearance? lol.
It's just a depiction of the body possession, to ensure the viewer that possession was taking place. It's actually Maya/Mayoi's body with only Mia/Chihiro's voice, because only Wright/Naruhodou noticed. If it's the actual body growth, then the whole courtroom would be shocked.
Apr 23, 2016 7:43 PM
Jan 2016
Konoetan said:
why did it change her physical appearance? lol.

You just have to take note of this fact for now. It will become useful in the following episodes.
Apr 23, 2016 7:45 PM

Sep 2014
SHiNRei_YaGaMi said:
Yet another miso ramen = burger. Turned out they're gonna adapt the Turnabout Samurai case (1-3). Oh crap that annoying old hag gonna get animated
(゚ д゚ lll)

Konoetan said:
It's just a depiction of the body possession, to ensure the viewer that possession was taking place. It's actually Maya/Mayoi's body with only Mia/Chihiro's voice, because only Wright/Naruhodou noticed. If it's the actual body growth, then the whole courtroom would be shocked.
hedla12 said:
Konoetan said:
why did it change her physical appearance? lol.

You just have to take note of this fact for now. It will become useful in the following episodes.

Aaaah, I see now.
Thanks guys.
Apr 23, 2016 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
One of the better episodes, oh so that's what they meant by Cornered though.
Apr 23, 2016 8:38 PM

Feb 2013
Oh, so the hamburger was miso ramen, and Maya calling Phoenix 'Nick' was Mayoi calling him 'Naruhodo-kun'. Never bothered to check what the original japanese was for the Ace Attorney games, so this anime is a good way for me to check the original sources, in a way.
Apr 23, 2016 9:03 PM

Apr 2013
Still a bit surprised that people are dropping this anime due to reasons being "not serious enough", "an insult to the system" and "supernatural elements". These are all in the source material folks. The game was meant to be a parody, not to be taken too seriously.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2016

164 by Vikill »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2016

211 by Vikill »»
Sep 13, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2016

491 by Vikill »»
Sep 13, 4:59 PM

» Mia Fey

FiddlePie - Feb 22

4 by FiddlePie »»
Feb 23, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

56 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.