Forum Settings
Forums

Why do girls in anime beat up guys for no reason at all and everybody is alright with it?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jun 25, 2015 7:38 AM

Jun 2015
I've read Japanese threads where people have been pointing out the same thing. I agree that there's nothing funny about it but the reason it works as humor in theory is because Japan is still fundamentally misogynistic (especially the workplace, it's undeniable) and there's this general mentality that a woman beating up a man is comically absurd and couldn't possibly happen in real life. But I also think this issue sort of ties in with the other gender role thread where the OP expressed distaste for girls calling boys "unmanly" or telling them to "man up". Considering that the only time the opposite would be acceptable is if it were a serious story about domestic violence and abusive relationships, these double standards really need to stop.

Btw, what do you think about parents hitting their kids, like Misae hitting shinchan in Crayon Shinchan. Will there come a day when this too will be un-PC?
Jun 25, 2015 7:55 AM
Sep 2013
hanamichi1031 said:
I've read Japanese threads where people have been pointing out the same thing. I agree that there's nothing funny about it but the reason it works as humor in theory is because Japan is still fundamentally misogynistic (especially the workplace, it's undeniable) and there's this general mentality that a woman beating up a man is comically absurd and couldn't possibly happen in real life. But I also think this issue sort of ties in with the other gender role thread where the OP expressed distaste for girls calling boys "unmanly" or telling them to "man up". Considering that the only time the opposite would be acceptable is if it were a serious story about domestic violence and abusive relationships, these double standards really need to stop.

Btw, what do you think about parents hitting their kids, like Misae hitting shinchan in Crayon Shinchan. Will there come a day when this too will be un-PC?

LOL
Im pretty sure female beating male much more often than male beating female in real life too in Japan
Couldnt possibly happen?It happens pretty often in real life.Many Japanese men justhave slave mentlity,master can be company he work for to wife(girl friend)
umashikanekoJun 25, 2015 8:13 AM
Jun 25, 2015 8:16 AM

Jun 2015
Yeah I knew this was bound to happen. The humor is based on the idea that it couldn't happen (not that it doesn't actually happen) hence the absurdity. It's the only possible basis for a joke that men made where girls beat the crap out of boys and are still cute. I think it's tasteless.

umashikaneko said:

Couldnt possibly happen?It happens pretty often in real life

Sucks to be you then I guess.
Jun 25, 2015 8:21 AM
Sep 2014
You can just try to avoid anime with this shitty trope
Jun 25, 2015 8:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It makes them seem more fuckable
Jun 25, 2015 8:27 AM
Sep 2013
hanamichi1031 said:
Yeah I knew this was bound to happen. The humor is based on the idea that it couldn't happen (not that it doesn't actually happen) hence the absurdity. It's the only possible basis for a joke that men made where girls beat the crap out of boys and are still cute. I think it's tasteless.

umashikaneko said:

No that happens,if its not happens then its not depicted.Its just not taken seriously and if you make a fuss you are not manly enough,that is how misogyny society works

You have to work and must give up all the money you earn because you are man that is how misogyny society works

Jun 25, 2015 8:48 AM

Nov 2008
JohnnyBme said:
You can just try to avoid anime with this shitty trope

Ha MY favorite one doesn't have it. :'D There's a scene where a girl gets mad at at guy for being insensitive so she tries to kick him but he just rolls his eyes and dodges and she smashes her leg onto the roof and it's awesome.

(they're shinigami so she wasn't seriously hurt or anything)

Btw, what do you think about parents hitting their kids, like Misae hitting shinchan in Crayon Shinchan.

Depends on HOW they hit them. If it's a smack across the face or the butt, that's discipline. Shin-chan normally deserves his. lol

Jun 25, 2015 8:53 AM

Sep 2013
I like it more when the girl gets beaten.
It adds realism and maturity instead of the comedic way it's done vice versa.

Jun 25, 2015 8:58 AM

Jun 2014
ichii_1 said:

what animu is this?
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 25, 2015 9:02 AM

Nov 2008
FireEmblemIke24 said:
ichii_1 said:

what animu is this?

I think that's H2O Footprints in the Sand. And a poor example because Hayami is constantly bullied by EVERYONE for really unfair reasons.

Jul 3, 2015 5:03 AM

Jul 2013
To please all the masochists out there
Jul 3, 2015 10:48 AM

May 2015
ichii_1 said:
I like it more when the girl gets beaten.
It adds realism and maturity instead of the comedic way it's done vice versa.

So adding violence is adding maturity?

You make it look easy.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 3, 2015 11:03 AM
May 2015
CookingPriest said:
*walks in*

Oh look a troll thread

*walks out*
Jul 4, 2015 5:09 AM

May 2015
bc it's anime, lol
Jul 4, 2015 5:37 AM
Feb 2014
Lancehot said:
This thread just won't die.
Jul 4, 2015 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

what animu is this?

I think that's H2O Footprints in the Sand. And a poor example because Hayami is constantly bullied by EVERYONE for really unfair reasons.

I bet thats good animu
Jul 4, 2015 6:17 AM
Feb 2014
Chiibi said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

what animu is this?

Be sure to add the spoiler tag, and ichii you can drop the persona.
Jul 5, 2015 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
Yes, its stupid and i agree, im a feminist aswell.
Whenever this happens, its extremely annoying.
But, its a cliche.
By shitty writers.
Lets hope it dies out soon.
Jul 5, 2015 3:36 AM

Mar 2015
weabooby said:
i don't think soo.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 5, 2015 4:26 AM

Oct 2013
Unyilkdr said:
weabooby said:
i don't think soo.

Oh.
Jul 5, 2015 4:31 AM

Mar 2015
weabooby said:
Unyilkdr said:
i don't think soo.
Oh.
well, just look for upcoming anime.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 12, 2017 12:51 AM
Jul 2018
Because a girl beating up a boy is seen as a twisted revenge of some sort, due to how much females were suppressed in the past.
Aug 12, 2017 12:55 AM
Jul 2018
hanamichi1031 said:

umashikaneko said:

But all humour has some form of basis from reality, no matter how absurd it is.
Aug 12, 2017 12:56 AM

Mar 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Because a girl beating up a boy is seen as a twisted revenge of some sort, due to how much females were suppressed in the past.

we must be glad aho girl is there to satisfy tiredness of this trope...
Aug 12, 2017 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
Kuma said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Aho Girl really doesn't do anything different with the trope, aside from gender roles being switched.
Aho Girl just does the trope right, because the one who gets beat up constantly actually deserves it.
That's how you do slapstick: mock a character by having them get beaten up, but also make it so that to a degree, it's their own fault, so the humour doesn't end up feeling mean-spirited.
Aug 12, 2017 1:31 AM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Aho girl is a gift from god
i wish if there is a harem mc like A-kun
Aug 12, 2017 1:31 AM

Jun 2008
Real reason?

Because deep at heart a LOT of guys are masochistic and definitely wouldn't mind getting a beating from a beautiful girl.

I'm not saying I'm like that...I'm just saying.

I'm not really into doing S&M type stuff...but if a really hot girl presses her stilettos on my chest or whatever....I'll probably be OK with it.
Aug 12, 2017 2:53 AM
Feb 2009
--ALEX-- said:
Real reason?

Because deep at heart a LOT of guys are masochistic and definitely wouldn't mind getting a beating from a beautiful girl.

I'm not saying I'm like that...I'm just saying.

I'm not really into doing S&M type stuff...but if a really hot girl presses her stilettos on my chest or whatever....I'll probably be OK with it.

It's so cliche that I doubt most people enjoy it anymore. IMO it's usually so badly done that it's rarely tolerable and I can't remember ever enjoying it (just o rare cases not being ticked off).

Your last point,
yeah, if she's hot then it's all good. Nice angle for panty shot too.
Aug 12, 2017 10:43 AM

Sep 2016
I wish there was more anime with girls being hit.
But my fetish aside.

it's jap humor.
If you actually watch anime, you might realize that Japanese cartoons and Western cartoons are different (wow). two different cultures, In America no network would EVER sexualize middle school girls like you see commonly in anime.
little kids in japan play that game where they stick there fingers in peoples asses, this shit wouldn't fly in the west.

What they think is funny might seem stupid to you, but you're speaking English and I assume you're not actually japanese.

Also, in Elfen Lied I can think of at least 5 times where a man smacks a girl in the face, as well as girls hitting back.
I don't care.
Aug 12, 2017 11:02 AM
Jul 2018

Oh, girls get hit too in anime. It's rare, but it does happen. XD
Aug 12, 2017 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
So...let me analyze this.

Op subscribed 3 years ago just to say this bullshit that "anime girls" do that "all the time".

First: it doesn't happen "every time", just a lot, and it's you fault for having watched somethign like 10 series and then assuming it's like that all the time.

Second:Masochism, i kinda get it why someone would get slapped by a cute girl, leave "gender equality" bullshit out of here

But why am i wasting time replying to you, you are just a troll with a throwaway account, why does this happen so often -__-
Aug 20, 2017 5:31 PM

Jun 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
hanamichi1031 said:

But all humour has some form of basis from reality, no matter how absurd it is.

lol it's male directors and writers who have been coming up with this dumb trope
Aug 21, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2009
Its probably supposed to be funny, but it never has or ever will be.
Aug 21, 2017 4:20 AM

Jun 2017
MasterGlyth said:
animeoppai said:

"Men don't get raped and women are stupid."

haha , ddid you hear that guts-kun ..

Those who are hated that need to stay in a clique have to make the effort to eliminate the
factors that can be used against them. Don’t make mistakes, don’t show your blunders,
and don’t let your weaknesses be exposed; these three points are the most important.
They’re the same thing, aren’t they?
Despite that, showcasing off your perfection as an individual can be used against you as
well. That’s why, it’s important to not do anything. If you don’t do anything, nothing will
go wrong.
Also, don’t get involved with anyone.
-HACHIMAN-
Aug 21, 2017 4:22 AM

Apr 2016
Because japanese males likes when someone is hurting them they are all nation of masochists.
Aug 21, 2017 4:26 AM
Dec 2016
Well, it is to add a humor to the show. It is just simply showing that the girl may have a feelings for him. There are also anime that is the opposite of that, like: Aho Girl. Although, it is just due to the girls stupidity.
Aug 27, 2017 1:55 AM
Aug 2017
Idk, it just seemed normal to me. I didn't think too much. In real life girls would also beat up boys if that happens...
I love anime and kpop! <3 BLINK and SONE
Oct 6, 2017 11:32 PM

Jun 2015
i just thought of a good analogy: it's allowed to be funny the way the movie whitechicks is allowed to be funny. the opposite ie two white chicks wearing black face would be untolerated. women in japan have been oppressed for so long and to such a degree (not to the extent of anti-black racism in the us, of course, but still) that at this point in time, cute girls beating up dudes is so against everything japanese men have been brought up to believe that it can be funny. let's hope this changes soon
Oct 7, 2017 12:47 AM

Apr 2012
My theory is that it's aimed at guys who want to look at naked (2D) girls, but are ashamed of their impulse to do so. So they have a fictional character take the rap for it.

Whatever the explanation, it's a horrible trope. It normalises domestic abuse, it may also normalise voyeurism and/or sexual assault if the guy is actually in the wrong, and it rests upon the idea that men can't be seriously hurt by women, which is pure misogyny, as well as reinforcing the "if they don't fight back, it isn't rape" fallacy.
Oct 7, 2017 12:56 AM
Jun 2016
well, in zeta gundam, a girl punches a guy, and people arent okay with it. the girl even gets thrown in jail. silly kamille, haha :)
'ate gundam
Oct 7, 2017 1:04 AM

May 2015
logopolis said:
My theory is that it's aimed at guys who want to look at naked (2D) girls, but are ashamed of their impulse to do so. So they have a fictional character take the rap for it.

Whatever the explanation, it's a horrible trope. It normalises domestic abuse, it may also normalise voyeurism and/or sexual assault if the guy is actually in the wrong, and it rests upon the idea that men can't be seriously hurt by women, which is pure misogyny, as well as reinforcing the "if they don't fight back, it isn't rape" fallacy.

Have you watched Toradora? It does it without the main character being a pervert. It made me sick.
Oct 7, 2017 2:13 AM

Apr 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Have you watched Toradora? It does it without the main character being a pervert. It made me sick.

Lots of things do it without the main character being a pervert. At least Toradora tends to be of high quality when it isn't doing that. (Although the lead male deciding to be with the character who abuses him in the end does cast a bit of a shadow over the whole show.) Don't ever try Love Hina. It was one of the first harem shows, but it's almost nothing but this trope, and it's vile.
Oct 7, 2017 3:18 AM

Sep 2014
I don't have a "big" problem with this cliché. Sometimes, the guy is such an jackass or an asshole I'd punch him too. But I guess why people doesn't like it because, like I said, It's a cliché.
It's repetitive and easy to use it and we're in a time where feminism become extremist.
Oct 7, 2017 3:34 AM

Apr 2017
you should end it at Why do girls in anime beat up guys for no reason at all, there. not everyone is okay with that shit lmao there are tsundere antis everywhere

still life: pink roses
Oct 11, 2017 11:07 AM

May 2015
logopolis said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Lots of things do it without the main character being a pervert. At least Toradora tends to be of high quality when it isn't doing that. (Although the lead male deciding to be with the character who abuses him in the end does cast a bit of a shadow over the whole show.) Don't ever try Love Hina. It was one of the first harem shows, but it's almost nothing but this trope, and it's vile.

And Toradora isn't vile? All this abuse and I'm supposed to think Taiga's cute? Fuck that.

Oct 11, 2017 11:25 AM

Dec 2014
its a metaphor to remind otakus all over the world how life beats us the same way anime girls beats a guy
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Oct 11, 2017 1:33 PM
Oct 2008
Isnt the whole point of such jokes there is always a reason to that.
Oct 16, 2017 7:53 AM
Jul 2015
kusanagi353 said:
Why do girls in anime beat up guys for no reason at all and everybody is alright with it? It doesn't make sense, for example when the girl falls down stairs and lands on the guy (usually she lands near his pelvic area/leg area) immediately blames him calling him a pervert and she hits/kicks him and bystanders are fine with it. To me this is NOT comedy, honestly it is a an outrage for me whenever i see this, because violence against men DOES exist

What would happen if we put it backwards

A guy fell down the stairs and landed on her and immediately blames her calling her a pervert and hits her? its awful right? but when it happens to a man its comedy?

If possible i would like the opinions of male and females

Thanks.

If someone hits another for an unjustified reason, then the attacker should be prepared to be beaten up back in retaliation, so no, it is not okay for both boys and girls in anime to use violence unless if the situation warrants necessary self-defense.

That's why I like Hinata in Angel Beats, because he beats back Yui who beats him up first, and Touma in To Aru Kagaku, who will not hesitate to punch girls in self-defense in the name of true gender equality.

Just like it is unacceptable for a guy to hit a girl for no justified reason, it should also be unacceptable for a girl to hit a guy for no justified reason. Anime girls who act violently need to be a taught a serious lesson, as guys are humans with emotions and feelings just like them girls, and would feel the same pain as girls when getting hit.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Oct 16, 2017 10:07 AM

Aug 2012
Yeah I hate watching that, like its ok for girls to hit guys but not the other way around.

But idk maybe those animes are for S & M people. I guess those ppl need animes too lol
Oct 16, 2017 10:14 AM
Jul 2015
God I really hate so much anime girls that beat up males for unjustified or trifling reasons, such as Chika kicking this poor boy here >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X80uYflaHfM

I also hate and curse all the violent girls in Love Hina, and all the girls that beat up Ichika in Infinte Stratos.

If there is an anime crossover, I'd like to see those bitches get kicked by Grimmjow from Bleach >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QEqSm-8MGg

I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - Yesterday

44 by BigBoyAdvance »»
43 seconds ago

» Other than rewatching, what can you do when you want to watch the next season of an anime you forgot most of the previous season?

thewiru - 4 hours ago

10 by BigBoyAdvance »»
3 minutes ago

» What makes a waifu waifu?

SgtBateMan - 39 minutes ago

3 by BigBoyAdvance »»
5 minutes ago

» Do we need more cooking scenes in anime?

SgtBateMan - Jul 17

31 by drizzt1079 »»
16 minutes ago

» If you could have 1 anime get licenced what would pick?

RareAnimeHunter - 2 hours ago

4 by RainyEvenings »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.