Forum Settings
Forums

Which KEY adaptations is the best? (Clannad, Kanon, etc.) Provide reasons!

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jan 9, 2014 11:41 AM

Aug 2013
They're all kind mehish. AB is pretty good though.
Jan 9, 2014 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
Well, I've only seen Clannad, Kanon 2006, and Angel Beats, so I can't say for Air (tbh, I don't really plan on watching it)

The mixture of Clannad and After Story, as a whole, trumps all three, however, Kanon 2006 does a few things better than Clannad. For starters, I felt more compelled by the 'harem girls' (e.g. Makoto) more than the 'harem girls' in Clannad. Kanon also keeps the fantasy element of the story more consistent, making the ending seem less of an asspull than Clannad. It also has the best english dub out of the 3, so there's that.

In the end, Clannad has the best main characters, best music and animation, and a better portrayal of themes. It was the most impactful for me, and it'll remain that way when it comes to KEY works.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jan 9, 2014 11:50 AM

Feb 2012
Clannad: After Story - Definitely best anime drama. I cried at last ~7 episodes. Great, realistic and touching story that can happen to everyone. If you like drama you MUST watch this anime. 10/10
Angel Beats - My 6th favorite anime. Ending was touching. One of the few dramas I cried at. Angel Beats has great art, great music, very good and touching story. I can recommend this to everyone as great drama. 9/10
Kanon - One scene was touching, ending was good. I really expected something better. The art is good, music is average. 8/10
Air - Haven't seen and don't plan to watch.
OreganosJan 9, 2014 1:15 PM
Jan 9, 2014 11:55 AM

Aug 2013
Angel Beats' execution, IMO, was pretty bad. It didn't really have a sense of direction, the characters were pretty bland, and the drama was so forced it was practically being stuffed down your throat.

And yes, while the ending is slightly touching, it was still riddled with this one plothole that really affirmed my belief that Angel Beats is just another project that wanted to create the same acclaim as Clannad.

Was still pretty fun to watch, though..
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jan 9, 2014 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
I actually DROPPED Kanon. Granted I will go back and finish it I thought it was gawd awful.

Cosplayed from Clannad so that's my answer. Lol
Jan 9, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2013
Rewrite! Oh, wait...
Clannad ofcourse.
Jan 9, 2014 12:19 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Ruben_Jb said:
Rewrite! Oh, wait...
Clannad ofcourse.

I need a Rewrite adaption
Jan 9, 2014 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
Zelot said:
Ruben_Jb said:
Rewrite! Oh, wait...
Clannad ofcourse.

Me too. Only did Kotori > Chihaya > Shizuru > Akane route though.
Jan 9, 2014 12:27 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Ruben_Jb said:
Zelot said:
Ruben_Jb said:
Rewrite! Oh, wait...
Clannad ofcourse.

Did them all... but due to my inability to remember anything, i mixed up routes in my head and now I am replaying it!
Jan 9, 2014 12:29 PM

May 2012
Kanon 06. Way better than Clannad IMO. Yuuichi >>>Tomoya tbh.
Jan 9, 2014 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Zelot said:
Ruben_Jb said:
Zelot said:
Ruben_Jb said:
Rewrite! Oh, wait...
Clannad ofcourse.

Did them all... but due to my inability to remember anything, i mixed up routes in my head and now I am replaying it!

Great! Have fun! Even one VN is hard for me. It takes so much time which I don't have because of my studies (and my airing anime haha).
Jan 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Aug 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Kanon 06. Way better than Clannad IMO. Yuuichi >>>Tomoya tbh.

I can see how someone would may find Yuuichi more likeable than Tomoya, but its beyond me when people say he's a better character than Tomoya in terms of characterization
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jan 9, 2014 12:32 PM

Jun 2012
Clannad's ending was Goddamn stupid. I think it should have ended with Nagisa staying dead, but Ushio should have stayed alive.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 9, 2014 12:33 PM

Jun 2012
I like Kanon 2006 the most out of them. I suppose it's because the atmosphere in Kanon is unmatched compared to other KEY anime.
получить деньги моего друга
Jan 9, 2014 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
Open-Dice said:
Clannad's ending was Goddamn stupid.

Spoiler tags. Use them.
Jan 9, 2014 12:42 PM

May 2010
StillSwingin007 said:
I can see how someone would may find Yuuichi more likeable than Tomoya, but its beyond me when people say he's a better character than Tomoya in terms of characterization

Agree, Yuuichi is fun and all, but compared to him Tomoya had soooo much more development and was just far more interesting as a character.

I can see Rewrite adaptation being a one giant disaster.
Jan 9, 2014 5:17 PM

Apr 2012
Clannad, because it has an well-created afterstory. Anime community has never before seen its like and probably won't for a long time.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 9, 2014 5:37 PM

Jul 2012
Little Busters is probably my favorite. Every character is likable and it felt the most emotional, at least in Refrain.
I like Kanon better than Clannad, but the After Story is much better (at least once you get to Nagisa's arc). Clannad just had too many of the main heroines I didn't give a crap about (kyou, ryou, tomoyo), while all of Kanon's were extremely enjoyable.
Angel Beats was too terrible for me to finish.
Haven't seen Air, probably just gonna play the VN.
Jan 9, 2014 5:42 PM

Apr 2013
Clannad obviously. This was way too good and I still too this day consider it one of the anime I would ever re-watch. Don't underrate Angel Beats though, that was really good too.
Jan 9, 2014 5:45 PM

Apr 2013
This thread needs a poll. It'd be interesting to see the distribution. I haven't seen Little Busters yet. Worth the watch?

Also currently Angel Beats>Kanon>Clannad>Air but I think I've posted this like 100x.Though every time I re-watch Angel Beats it seems worse and worse, especially the first few episodes.
Jan 9, 2014 10:14 PM
May 2012
I love all of them but my favourite is Kanon 2006 and my least favourite is probably Air. Kanon had the most nicely flowed story out of all of them and the female characters were nicely fleshed out and developed, whereas Clannad's female characters were definitely interesting and great characters but they should have had more focus like Kanon's characters. Maybe if they did that. it would have been a carbon copy of Kanon so they avoided it for that particular reason. Clannad's story was pretty indecisive at first on where it had to go but it did pick up and get really good later on in the series. Keep in mind that these animes were all based on a VN and Clannad was the longest VN they had ever done so of course there would be a lot of details missing. If they made the Clannad anime exactly like the VN then I'm sure it would have been 100x better. Air was really enjoyable but the cast were very weak. Only the main characters stood out, the side characters are nothing to write home about. They have their story arc and then they disappear, which I found very disappointing. I have to agree that Air's story is the worst among all of Key's main anime adaptations. A lot of it is to do with the length of episodes - Angel Beats suffered this problem as well, but I enjoyed Angel Beats more than Air.
Air's drama was also a bit too forced, repeating the same scenario over and over again and also very predictable. Noneless Air is still a fantastic anime, I just preffered the others over it.

WinterSnowflakeJan 26, 2014 12:13 AM
Jan 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Jan 2013
This is a listing thread.

Also Clannad.
Jan 9, 2014 11:47 PM

Sep 2012
Clannad, because of that amazing way they made you get attached to completely average characters and made you feel like you had a bond with them..

..and then RIPPED YOUR GOD DAMN HEART OUT later on in such a way that I doubt I will ever experience that much emotion for anything in media ever again.

Truly a journey I will never forget and recommend to everyone who has the time to watch 50 episodes of amazing.
KorrvoJan 9, 2014 11:53 PM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 9, 2014 11:50 PM

Apr 2010
Jan 10, 2014 2:07 PM

Aug 2013
for me it was a tie between angel beats and after story, kanon 2006 was just to bad for me to finish.
P DOPE.
Mar 10, 2014 10:32 PM

Sep 2008
1. Clannad and After (i've played the game too <3)
2. Air (I just LOVE its summer feeling)
3. Little Busters
4. Angel Beats
5. Kanon (because I don't remember it lol)
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Mar 10, 2014 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
Kanon (2006)
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 10, 2014 10:46 PM

Nov 2013
Clannad was a masterpiece
Angel Beats, not sure if it counts but it was really good anyway
Little Busters was amazing, but with some glaring flaws
Kanon was good
Air was a bit of a letdown for me
Mar 10, 2014 10:47 PM

Dec 2012
Definitely Clannad After Story, my second choice would be Kanon 2006. I just felt Clannad offered a lot more than Kanon.
PradethMar 10, 2014 11:09 PM
Mar 10, 2014 10:50 PM

Nov 2012
Clannad no contest. Air was boring. Angel beats was rushed. Kanon was the only decent out of the rest but still lacked a lot. Seems like key just had a 1 hit wonder
Mar 10, 2014 10:57 PM

May 2012
Clannad > Kanon 2006 > Angel Beats > Little Busters > Air

My reasoning is just how much I enjoyed it really. I don't ponder too much about the shortcomings.

A Rewrite adaption tho
May 17, 2014 7:23 AM

Jan 2014
I'm pretty sure there have been several threads like this, but I would like to use these specific anime. These are known as Key's great stories (Clannad/After Story, Angel Beats, Air, Kanon (2006)) and I wanted to know how people feel about them (in order of best to worst/most sad to least sad). I watched Angel Beats randomly because I was bored (nobody really told me about it) and I loved it. I decided to watch more Key stuff, so I watched Clannad/AS and Air within the next two weeks (dedication and lost of free time is KEY). I would rank it Clannad/AS over Angel beats just because Angel Beats was too short to be created to its fullest potential. After that comes Air. By the way it was a very sad two weeks.
May 17, 2014 7:30 AM

Sep 2013
clannad AS because I havent seen angel beats and air yet, and I didnt really liked kanon that much.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
May 17, 2014 7:31 AM

May 2014
Clannad was the only one I liked, to be honest. It was like the perfect example of how to do a harem. It was hilarious with colorful and interesting characters. The rest? not so much.

Clannad > Air > Angel Beats > Kanon > After Story
May 17, 2014 7:33 AM

Jan 2014
Why did you dislike After Story the most? It was so good at building upon the characters that were fleshed out in Clannad.
May 17, 2014 7:39 AM

Jun 2009
Oh hey, it's this topic again...
May 17, 2014 7:40 AM

May 2014
Way too melodramatic. I think it destroyed what the original series was all about, which was fun & lighthearted-ness. What was our dudes name? Tomoe, Tomoko? whatever his name was just annoyed me. He was sad and crying all the damn time. Not to mention, the girl who he was crying over I despised so it made it much harder to empathize with him. Like c'mon bro. That girl was dull, plain and slow. Why are you crying?

Didn't make it more then a few episodes in before I dropped it. Most disappointing sequel I've ever seen, considering how much I loved the original.
May 17, 2014 7:44 AM

Apr 2013
Angel beats>Kanon >>>>>clannad after story>>air>>>clannad
May 17, 2014 7:49 AM

Jul 2013
I'd say Clannad AS is the best out of the lot, just because of all the emotions that poured.

I have often wondered why people on here complain so much about Angel Beats, I actually loved it and I've always thought that it has one of the best anime endings I've seen.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
May 17, 2014 8:00 AM

May 2014
Cupquake said:
Angel beats>Kanon >>>>>clannad after story>>air>>>clannad

You, my friend, have very backwards tastes. Either that or I do.

What didn't you like about the OG Clannad?
May 17, 2014 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Kanon 2006.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 17, 2014 9:11 AM
Feb 2014
Clannad After Story > Angel Beats > Kanon > Clannad > Air. AS is one of the very few shows I've given a 10 especially the impact it left me years ago.

But in terms of VN play, Little Busters and Rewrite trump all.
May 17, 2014 9:14 AM

Apr 2013
Mars_ said:

It was boring with arcs that dragged on too long and annoying characters.
May 17, 2014 9:15 AM
Nov 2013
I hate the format and the storytelling of Kanon, I really hate that format. Not to mention it was boring as hell, couldn't finished. Clannad is very boring and unnecessary sometimes as well, If I was the one producing the anime I would cut half of it. Angel Beats = horrible development and length. Didn't watch Air. I cried in one part of Clannad After Story, and as a whole the anime is not bad.
May 17, 2014 9:15 AM
Dec 2013
Angel Beats> Clannad> After story> Air> Kanon>
May 17, 2014 9:16 AM

Jan 2014
I thought the OG Clannad was very well done. I admit that it was boring at points, but it all led up to the Clannad After Story second half, which I thought was amazing. It was mostly character development, but it was necessary for the series as a whole.
May 17, 2014 9:19 AM
Feb 2014
Rashkolnikov said:
I hate the format and the storytelling of Kanon, I really hate that format. Not to mention it was boring as hell, couldn't finished. Clannad is very boring and unnecessary sometimes as well, If I was the one producing the anime I would cut half of it. Angel Beats = horrible development and length. Didn't watch Air. I cried in one part of Clannad After Story, and as a whole the anime is not bad.

Wait until Angel Beats gets a reboot after VN release, it won't be too rushed/cliched I hope.
May 17, 2014 9:21 AM
Mar 2013
Clannad>Kanon>Angel Beats>Air

Kanon 2006 could have been god tier but the adaptation wasn't the best

The VN for Air is very very good, it's a shame the anime was rushed

Clannad got the best adaptation

Angel Beats was good until
then it got pretty bad save for a few scenes

All of them have good music though
May 17, 2014 9:22 AM

Apr 2013
Takaoreo said:

Wait until Angel Beats gets a reboot after VN release, it won't be too rushed/cliched I hope.
angel beats reboot would be a dream come true.
May 17, 2014 9:23 AM

May 2014
Cupquake said:
Mars_ said:

It was boring with arcs that dragged on too long and annoying characters.

What, really? You didn't find it funny? Who annoyed you, aside from the main girl?
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Best anime from your favorite year

Spunkert - 42 minutes ago

4 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you tend to skip the first episode/first few episodes of long running shows? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Jun 15

52 by Guilmon1 »»
19 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - Jun 18

39 by Guilmon1 »»
23 minutes ago

» Nominate 1 character from your Favorites that would be the best at Butt Sumo, and nominate 1 that would be the worst

IpreferEcchi - Jun 17

20 by Absurdo_N »»
34 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

99 by camay1997 »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.