Forum Settings
Forums

Do anime fans HATE strong female characters?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Dec 20, 2016 5:33 PM

Jun 2014
I don't think anyone hates strong female characters.

You don't see anyone hating on Cure Black, probably because Cure Black is awesome.

Dec 20, 2016 5:53 PM

May 2009
Seiya said:

You don't see anyone hating on Cure Black, probably because Cure Black is awesome.

Objectors are duly Marble Screwed.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 20, 2016 5:54 PM

Jun 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Seiya said:

Objectors are duly Marble Screwed.

Lol, my thoughts exactly!

That reminds me, I really need to watch the sequel, Max Heart someday.

Dec 20, 2016 8:02 PM

Oct 2015
My thoughts have been pretty much expressed in the posts of Swiggy and JCAPER. However, I am somewhere in the between of these two. I believe that it's a combination of both targeted audience and that the creators do not know how to do them well. There are, of course, well made strong female characters, but probably not in the shounen category.

@JonasTheJay It has already been mentioned, but I would recommend you to watch Black Lagoon
AWC Sign-up 2017
MRC Sign-up 2017
MAL Rewrite Newbie Writer
Dec 20, 2016 9:09 PM

Nov 2009
nightlur said:
flannan said:

Why people are never bothered by emotionless "strong" male characters, like Guts? I don't think there is any reason female characters can't embody the same archetype.

well guts has reasons for being emotionless or seeming so and hes strong because of all the fighting hes done .the dude is built like a tank and full of scars he looks like what he is a bad ass. females chars that go for that usually arent given the backstory to explain the strenght or attitude they have they look like models but punch like trained fighters for no reason except its cute .

1) I'm pretty sure Balsa Yonsa, Claymore's MC, Major Motoko Kusanagi, Saber and many others did a lot of fighting too.
Note that "a lot of fighting" doesn't mean the character has to emotionless. Al Azif (Demonbane) fought for at least a few centuries, and possibly a few eons, yet she it pretty emotional. She just looks at lovecraftian horrors without even blinking.

On the other hand, Ryogi Shiki is like that because she's a psycho killer, just like Tohno Shiki. Kinoko Nasu likes writing about characters who are some kind of crazy.

2) I don't think one needs much background to explain attitude of more emotional female fighters.
There is no rule why girls can't be combative, short-tempered or overly serious!

3) Pretty much all anime main characters are stronger than they "should" be. Guts wouldn't be able to swing that giant sword around IRL (less crazy swords can be faked with titanium alloys). Most battle shounen protagonists are kids who break rocks with their bare hands. Comedy girls punch guys into the stratosphere. To say nothing of truly overpowered characters who wipe out armies single-handedly.
It's part of the underlying mythology ("ki") or something. Or maybe just to look good on the screen, because nobody cares about your "realism" in anime.
(by the way, a number of franchises have explicit explanations. Motoko is a combat cyborg, she is made of steel, not flesh. Saber uses magic to make her strikes stronger. Claymores are something supernatual too. And Shiki has supernatural ability to break things that is beyond any strength.)
Dec 20, 2016 9:37 PM

May 2016
Emotionless characters are boring in general, regardless of gender. People like to mention Guts being an interesting character despite having that trait but thats only because his interaction with Griffith was making it interesting. Once the Golden Age Arc was over and that interaction no longer exist, he became as boring as pretty much any emotionless person.
Dec 21, 2016 3:57 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:
nightlur said:

well guts has reasons for being emotionless or seeming so and hes strong because of all the fighting hes done .the dude is built like a tank and full of scars he looks like what he is a bad ass. females chars that go for that usually arent given the backstory to explain the strenght or attitude they have they look like models but punch like trained fighters for no reason except its cute .

1) I'm pretty sure Balsa Yonsa, Claymore's MC, Major Motoko Kusanagi, Saber and many others did a lot of fighting too.
Note that "a lot of fighting" doesn't mean the character has to emotionless. Al Azif (Demonbane) fought for at least a few centuries, and possibly a few eons, yet she it pretty emotional. She just looks at lovecraftian horrors without even blinking.

On the other hand, Ryogi Shiki is like that because she's a psycho killer, just like Tohno Shiki. Kinoko Nasu likes writing about characters who are some kind of crazy.

2) I don't think one needs much background to explain attitude of more emotional female fighters.
There is no rule why girls can't be combative, short-tempered or overly serious!

3) Pretty much all anime main characters are stronger than they "should" be. Guts wouldn't be able to swing that giant sword around IRL (less crazy swords can be faked with titanium alloys). Most battle shounen protagonists are kids who break rocks with their bare hands. Comedy girls punch guys into the stratosphere. To say nothing of truly overpowered characters who wipe out armies single-handedly.
It's part of the underlying mythology ("ki") or something. Or maybe just to look good on the screen, because nobody cares about your "realism" in anime.
(by the way, a number of franchises have explicit explanations. Motoko is a combat cyborg, she is made of steel, not flesh. Saber uses magic to make her strikes stronger. Claymores are something supernatual too. And Shiki has supernatural ability to break things that is beyond any strength.)
[quote=flannan message=49039433]
nightlur said:
flannan said:

Why people are never bothered by emotionless "strong" male characters, like Guts? I don't think there is any reason female characters can't embody the same archetype.

(by the way, a number of franchises have explicit explanations. Motoko is a combat cyborg, she is made of steel, not flesh. Saber uses magic to make her strikes stronger. Claymores are something supernatual too. And Shiki has supernatural ability to break things that is beyond any strength.)[/qu

I said guts was strong and buff because of fighting not emotionless thats for other reasons
most of the characters you mentioned are super humans or hav a energy of some kind which alows them to be so strong but even so if you look at the male counterparts they are buff even tho they have powers just like the heroine. even in battle manga like fairy tale or naruto the guys are fit they hav 6 packs chiseled chests and arms women have none of these features the men that create these chartacters just dont want to accept what a physically imposing woman would look like so it all comes off as cheap

to your second point yes they can be all those things the point is that the personality of these women come off as simply a archetype meant to attract males if you dont show the audience why they would be this way.And these tropes do exsist for males too but with the women whether you are loud and assertive or quiet and shy nobody in the show has s a problem with your personality but these "flaws" of male characters are usually made a point of complaint by a fair few in a a given anime. lol at least thts how i feel having watched a lot of crap.
Dec 21, 2016 4:37 AM

Nov 2009
nightlur said:
flannan said:

I said guts was strong and buff because of fighting not emotionless thats for other reasons
most of the characters you mentioned are super humans or hav a energy of some kind which alows them to be so strong but even so if you look at the male counterparts they are buff even tho they have powers just like the heroine. even in battle manga like fairy tale or naruto the guys are fit they hav 6 packs chiseled chests and arms women have none of these features the men that create these chartacters just dont want to accept what a physically imposing woman would look like so it all comes off as cheap

to your second point yes they can be all those things the point is that the personality of these women come off as simply a archetype meant to attract males if you dont show the audience why they would be this way.And these tropes do exsist for males too but with the women whether you are loud and assertive or quiet and shy nobody in the show has s a problem with your personality but these "flaws" of male characters are usually made a point of complaint by a fair few in a a given anime. lol at least thts how i feel having watched a lot of crap.

Yeah, males in anime sometimes have 6-packs. They are pure fanservice. Only bodybuilders have those in real life.
Often, they have them instead of muscles a real fighting man would have. Like mighty arms.
Note that most anime fighters go for "wiry" build, like Bruce Lee, not "bodybuilder" build like Arnold Schwarzenegger. And the authors don't bother drawing well-defined muscles on them too.

Yeah, a male character is more likely to be scolded for his personality than a female character (who is more likely to get in trouble and/or need saving because of her personality). Even if it's a perfectly good personality! I do not think there is some deeper meaning in it.

I still do not see why you insist that any personality a female character might have is there to attract male viewers. Sure, these days there are very few personalities that will not attract male viewers. Whether she is a psycho killer, immature brat, steel-eyed soldier, emotionless robot, mad scientist or anything else, there is somebody who thinks it's attractive. It does not invalidate all those personalities.
Dec 21, 2016 5:00 AM
Apr 2016
Depent of strong . Strong Willed or Strong Power ? For me strong willed more rare than strong power.
Saintrider891Dec 21, 2016 5:06 AM
Dec 21, 2016 6:11 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:
nightlur said:

Yeah, males in anime sometimes have 6-packs. They are pure fanservice. Only bodybuilders have those in real life.
Often, they have them instead of muscles a real fighting man would have. Like mighty arms.
Note that most anime fighters go for "wiry" build, like Bruce Lee, not "bodybuilder" build like Arnold Schwarzenegger. And the authors don't bother drawing well-defined muscles on them too.

Yeah, a male character is more likely to be scolded for his personality than a female character (who is more likely to get in trouble and/or need saving because of her personality). Even if it's a perfectly good personality! I do not think there is some deeper meaning in it.

I still do not see why you insist that any personality a female character might have is there to attract male viewers. Sure, these days there are very few personalities that will not attract male viewers. Whether she is a psycho killer, immature brat, steel-eyed soldier, emotionless robot, mad scientist or anything else, there is somebody who thinks it's attractive. It does not invalidate all those personalities.

bodybuilder muscles arent for fighting conor mcgregror and floyd mayweather hav that wiry body type your refering to thats the type most anime depict and it is the bodytype of the best fighters

Evrything has meaning!

Not saying it invalidates all female chars from being good i think its a limiter that hinders them from being interesting different unpredictable something that real women are. its men simplistic view of "types" of women being put on paper
Dec 21, 2016 6:26 AM

Nov 2009
nightlur said:
Not saying it invalidates all female chars from being good i think its a limiter that hinders them from being interesting different unpredictable something that real women are. its men simplistic view of "types" of women being put on paper

I do not think it applies only to female characters. Male characters are archetypical and predictable too.

I think Nazo no Kanojo X captures the unpredictable nature of women very well.
Dec 21, 2016 12:57 PM
Apr 2016
ZettaiRyouikiA said:
Taking what people said on YouTube seriously ... lmao!

Anyway, Japan was sexist in the past, still kinda is. So hence strong female characters were extremely rare. Especially in battle shonen which was mostly a guy thing for little boys who don't want girls messing with their stuff etc.

Good news is, since the mid 90's we have been getting more badass females than ever before. And yes, I love my female characters to be strong, and despise the shonen stereotype of damsels in distress. Just ignore the immature shonen genre and you will be good!

That kinda make me wonder just how much different Female Anime - 90 compare to this current Female Anime .
Dec 21, 2016 1:20 PM
Apr 2016
flannan said:
Zelkiiro said:

Unfortunately, Saber is popular for all the wrong reasons. As horribly-written as Fate/Stay Night is, the entire point of her character was supposed to be that she's above mere humanity and her gender is irrelevant (which also served to make her an unrelatable alien to her contemporaries)...until Nasu decided to make her a love interest in the Fate route like a fucking moron.

So no, people don't like Fate/Zero!Saber because of her badass personality and her complex personal dilemmas--they want a shitty waifu from the shittiest route of an already-of-questionable-quality visual novel.

1) Saber isn't some angelic being above humanity. She is a human who tries to live according to her ideals, like me, and, possibly, you. Only more successful at that.
This is what makes her awesome and inspiring. Claiming her to be inhuman would diminish her appeal.
Sure, it's funny that Saber behaves like an idealized samurai rather than like a knight, but I guess it's inevitable when the work was written by Japanese.

2) So many butthurt fans because their Saber isn't pure. Saber is an epic hero, and she can have as many romantic relationships as she wants. Leaving behind a trail of abandoned lovers is not her style, but why should she not know love and/or sex?

3) Nasu Kinoko is a great writer. Urobuchi Gen's works are pure literary edginess that has no appeal to me.

4) Yes, it's easy to fall in love with F/SN's Saber. Her idealism, her loyalty, her beauty, her strength, her moments of weakness...
Whatever that youtuber says, being an epic fighter does not take away from a character's attractiveness.
No idea how lovable she is in Fate/Zero.

It was very funny you say saber is strong female but she fall in love with highschool Boy knowing just how much old is she . That kinda make mè doen't like saber knowing she falĺ in love with highschool boy .
Dec 21, 2016 1:43 PM

Mar 2016
Codename_ZQ said:

Well to put my own opinion, hell no we don't hate strong female characters. I'd say the majority of my favorite female characters happen to be strong ones. Ones that are confident and can take charge. And to the people who say strong female characters can't also be cute, Morgiana says hi.

This seems like a really dumb discussion no matter how you put it.

Ah, yes. Morgiana is so brutal.
Zelkiiro said:
Jacksworld said:
Popular strong female characters from anime I have seen
Saber- Fate/Zero

Unfortunately, Saber is popular for all the wrong reasons. As horribly-written as Fate/Stay Night is, the entire point of her character was supposed to be that she's above mere humanity and her gender is irrelevant (which also served to make her an unrelatable alien to her contemporaries)...until Nasu decided to make her a love interest in the Fate route like a fucking moron.

So no, people don't like Fate/Zero!Saber because of her badass personality and her complex personal dilemmas--they want a shitty waifu from the shittiest route of an already-of-questionable-quality visual novel.

The point of her character is to show how a life lived in impossible idealism can twist someone's perception of him/herself. She's also supposed to be a sort of mirror for Shirou...minus the blondeness, femininity and other stuff.(hence her questioning of why he doesn't want her to fight despite how they have similar trains of thought)
Dec 21, 2016 6:05 PM

May 2016
TheDeadApostle said:
She's also supposed to be a sort of mirror for Shirou

Isn't that what, uhh...he's there for? You know...that guy?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 21, 2016 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, I hate strong female characters because they won't be in the kitchen making me a sandwich//

Nah, I love em. But I love any strong character in general.
Dec 21, 2016 9:20 PM

Sep 2012
I have fantasies of strong women picking me up and benching me.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 21, 2016 9:24 PM

Nov 2009
Saintrider891 said:
flannan said:

1) Saber isn't some angelic being above humanity. She is a human who tries to live according to her ideals, like me, and, possibly, you. Only more successful at that.
This is what makes her awesome and inspiring. Claiming her to be inhuman would diminish her appeal.
Sure, it's funny that Saber behaves like an idealized samurai rather than like a knight, but I guess it's inevitable when the work was written by Japanese.

2) So many butthurt fans because their Saber isn't pure. Saber is an epic hero, and she can have as many romantic relationships as she wants. Leaving behind a trail of abandoned lovers is not her style, but why should she not know love and/or sex?

3) Nasu Kinoko is a great writer. Urobuchi Gen's works are pure literary edginess that has no appeal to me.

4) Yes, it's easy to fall in love with F/SN's Saber. Her idealism, her loyalty, her beauty, her strength, her moments of weakness...
Whatever that youtuber says, being an epic fighter does not take away from a character's attractiveness.
No idea how lovable she is in Fate/Zero.

It was very funny you say saber is strong female but she fall in love with highschool Boy knowing just how much old is she . That kinda make mè doen't like saber knowing she falĺ in love with highschool boy .

I see no reason Saber can't fall in love with a highschool boy.
1) Age restrictions were lower in her time. In fact, they probably did not exist.
2) What is her total personal time anyway? 40 years? 100 years? Aren't men with the same age as her too damn old?
3) Saber is a strong female character. She is the king, she is the knight. She doesn't need a man who is even better than her.
4) Their romance only kicked in after they had awkward sex to charge her up with mana.
flannanDec 21, 2016 11:20 PM
Dec 21, 2016 11:04 PM

Mar 2016
Zelkiiro said:
TheDeadApostle said:
She's also supposed to be a sort of mirror for Shirou

Isn't that what, uhh...he's there for? You know...that guy?

Haha I mean for the Fate route. The route you're talking about goes more into his idealism but the fate one is meant to scratch the surface.

Also the other guy is a reflection of him in a different way. Saber is closest to his normal nature (i.e I'll save people at the cost of myself) but the other guy is how he'd look like after years of pointless suffering.

@flannan
She's around 25 I think. Pulled the sword at 15 and ruled for around 10 years.
OduduwaDec 21, 2016 11:09 PM
Dec 22, 2016 3:34 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:
nightlur said:

I do not think it applies only to female characters. Male characters are archetypical and predictable too.

I think Nazo no Kanojo X captures the unpredictable nature of women very well.

of course they can my point is it happens with female chars much more
Dec 22, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2016
TheDeadApostle said:
@flannan

She'd be closer to 22-24. Shirou does describe her as looking "several years younger than me," and since Shirou's in his 2nd year of high school, he's 16 years old.

Dec 22, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2009
Zelkiiro said:
TheDeadApostle said:
@flannan

She'd be closer to 22-24. Shirou does describe her as looking "several years younger than me," and since Shirou's in his 2nd year of high school, he's 16 years old.

Do we know that her reign was about 10 years? I didn't remember that.
Edit: Type-moon wiki says it's 10 years too.
flannanDec 22, 2016 6:49 AM
Dec 22, 2016 7:41 AM

May 2016
flannan said:
Zelkiiro said:

Do we know that her reign was about 10 years? I didn't remember that.
Edit: Type-moon wiki says it's 10 years too.

During the Fate route (that awful, awful route), it's made explicitly clear that Arturia's reign lasted 10 years before Mordred's rebellion and, ultimately, her death.

Dec 22, 2016 12:06 PM

May 2009
Zelkiiro said:
TheDeadApostle said:
@flannan

Wait what?
ES = 16
SB = ES - (several years)
so therefore
SB ~= 10 (?!)
Dec 22, 2016 1:34 PM

Nov 2016
I absolutely love tough female characters. I am a female myself but I'm not being biased in anyway. Most my favourite anime characters are guys because they usually end up with the badass role but if a female gets that role I love them just as much. Being a girl who isn't exactly 'girly' I think the gender of someone doesn't particularly matter and shouldn't effect their personality or freedom to be who they are. So yeah, I'm all pro for more tough female characters :) However, I do accept the opinions of anyone who prefers male characters to have the badass role.
Dec 22, 2016 7:08 PM

Oct 2009
I might be biased because I am a woman, but I love strong female characters.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Dec 22, 2016 7:10 PM

May 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Zelkiiro said:

Wait what?
ES = 16
so therefore
SB ~= 10 (?!)

When Saber pulled out Caliburn, she stopped aging, so she's in her 20s but still looks like she's in her early teens. She would've been 12-14 when she pulled the sword out, if Shirou's description is to be believed (and since he's the VN's narrator, it kinda has to be).

Dec 23, 2016 3:47 AM

Nov 2012
Female characters who look physically average but are mentally strong are attractive to me.
Dec 23, 2016 3:47 AM

Jan 2016
Erza Scarlet is working, right?? ^_^°

But I like both strong male or female characters
Dec 23, 2016 4:11 AM

Oct 2014
Sefika said:
I am okay with all types of characters as long as they are well-written. That's it. It has nothing to do with gender or other shit.

I don't see why this tread is that big and keeps appearing on my main page.
That is mostly thanks to those that have a conversation with each other on this thread.....
Dec 25, 2016 4:20 AM

Aug 2007
Bulma777 said:
Erza Scarlet is working, right?? ^_^°

But I like both strong male or female characters

Not really. Too many asspulls in Fairy Tail.
Dec 26, 2016 7:27 PM

May 2009
Zelkiiro said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Wait what?
ES = 16
so therefore
SB ~= 10 (?!)

When Saber pulled out Caliburn, she stopped aging, so she's in her 20s but still looks like she's in her early teens. She would've been 12-14 when she pulled the sword out, if Shirou's description is to be believed (and since he's the VN's narrator, it kinda has to be).

This has strange implications and it also seems to be contradicted by the vast majority of artwork depicting Saber...though that's subject to the fact that age is not exactly easily-determined by looking at a character's age in anime. Oh well, whatever.
Dec 28, 2016 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
It doesn't make any sense. I HATE when female characters are weak and useless and can't even defend herselfs or fight a good battle.
Dec 29, 2016 4:00 AM

Sep 2014
Is it me or for what I've read here, people thinks strong likeable character means someone crushing skulls? I find this argument too easy....

For instance, I prefer way more Hana from Wolf Children than Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail. Hana didn't fear the true form of his husband, still love him and has sacrificied nearly everything to raise alone her two supernatural children. I mean, damn! She has guts! But Erza? Except her harsh past, what does she have? Everytime she's in trouble, she get a new plot armor (litteraly!). What makes her interesting? Her godlike powers? Her looks? The fact she nearly wins all her fights? She can beat 100 divine giants by herserlf?
That's not being strong. That's being powerfull...

Or I think Medusa from Soul Eater is way more scarier than Rory Mercury. I'll be more afraid of Medusa because she's a machiavellian witch with a twisted mind but intelligent. Rory is a lolita with god powers and a big axe and orgams when people die around her. What makes her scary? The fact she's potentialy invincible and loves killing things?
Comparing those both characters is like comparing the Joker with Harley Quinn (I mean current ones). One is frightening as hell even he's not super strong. The other is psychotic but that's all except writers tend to balance her lack of mind by hot-bitch attitude...

It's the same things with male characters. I prefer way more Shinji Hikari than Naruto or Luffy..
Shinji isn't a badass at all but the fact they makes him so human It makes him likeable. Naruto/Luffy have a goal, they're determined to death to rush it, they're dumb but nice and they're freaking strong, but what's else? Everytime they get a hard moment, they're still on their dreams, they didn't change their minds. They gain more powers and what else?

I don't care if a character is a god of war, a charismatic leader if he's boring or,worse, freaking annoying. The character must has something more than blood, victories and a japanese canon beauty look on his CVs! I still prefer a weak character with this "something" than a powerfull one without anything behind.
Dec 29, 2016 4:57 AM

May 2016
I like strong female characters, but they don't need to kick asses or win always. I prefer mental strength, tbh. Good characterization and a bit of badassery is all I need to love a female character... or a male one too.
Dec 29, 2016 6:44 AM

Jul 2016
Ryuunokebab said:
Those are the ppl that in real life say "Women are just for the kitchen".

^THIS^

I like strong female characters, only if the character isn't used as sex icon...
Dec 29, 2016 11:52 AM

Mar 2014
Nope! They're always my favorite characters if anything.
Dec 29, 2016 12:16 PM

Sep 2016
Personally I love seeing well written female characters that can be badass.

However in general it seems that female characters in anime get the short end of the stick mainly due to creators pandering to their main demographic. From my experience a large amount of people who watch anime are either

• those who want female characters as "waifus", so cute girls with little clothing
  • those who watch anime for the m/m shipping and see female characters as a threat to their OTP and therefore want as little screen time of them as possible

Both audiences hurt the chances of creators developing stronger female leads that exist as great characters in their own right without having to be sexualized or paired with a strong male character.
icon credit goes to mei_ling7 on livejournal :)
Dec 29, 2016 12:22 PM

May 2016
Well, I actually like female fighters more than male ones, in anime.
If done well, a strong female character can be totally amazing.
Let's take the Touhou franchise as an example: Gensokyo is full of badass women. And it's the coolest thing ever. (Yukari ma waifu)
Anyway, the guy who wrote the comment seems to be a One Piece fag. So I wouldn't give him that much importance.
Jan 28, 2017 5:21 AM
Nov 2016
İt's a fact that most men are stronger than girls, so it's not strange that men are potrayed stronger in anime. İt's men who fight wars, shed blood etc. Sure you have exceptions in history, but it is rare. Also Japanese culture is men based, so you can't expect it from anime.İ really liked strong female characters such as Kallen (Code Geass) and Saber (Fate Zero). İ actually like it when girls are smart in anime and do not cry constantly or are being annoying. But İ can not take a anime seriously when a girl beats a boy with power, unless the girl is for example like Clare (Claymore) or Ezra (FT) with strong masculine features.
Jan 28, 2017 5:38 AM

Feb 2016
I actually like strong female characters really much.More than cute and shy characters.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jan 28, 2017 5:46 AM

Mar 2015
turkhananime said:
İt's a fact that most men are stronger than girls, so it's not strange that men are potrayed stronger in anime. İt's men who fight wars, shed blood etc. Sure you have exceptions in history, but it is rare. Also Japanese culture is men based, so you can't expect it from anime.İ really liked strong female characters such as Kallen (Code Geass) and Saber (Fate Zero). İ actually like it when girls are smart in anime and do not cry constantly or are being annoying. But İ can not take a anime seriously when a girl beats a boy with power, unless the girl is for example like Clare (Claymore) or Ezra (FT) with strong masculine features.

most popular female character is yuno gassai, just saying...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 28, 2017 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
Kuma said:
turkhananime said:

That only says that ppl just like shitty Dere characters......
Jan 28, 2017 7:12 AM

Mar 2015
Bourmegar said:
Kuma said:

but she is strong.. that's what those shitty wish fullfilment want right? seriously, what's the different?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 28, 2017 11:32 AM

Oct 2014
Kuma said:
Bourmegar said:

but she is strong.. that's what those shitty wish fullfilment want right? seriously, what's the different?

no the shitty wish fulfillment want someone who is always there for them in a way that make a character seem Unnatural.
Like Yuno, She only wants Yukiteru........... and she is all about him.........
Jan 28, 2017 2:05 PM
Jun 2015
No, its just action shows, harems, romance generally have a bad reputation in terms of female characters. The best female characters in anime are usually found in slice of life or drama.
Jan 28, 2017 3:15 PM
Jan 2017
A character's gender is a part of them, not their definitive trait. So being male or female has nothing to do with what they can or can't accomplish, because there's nothing that can ONLY be done by one or the other. In the case of a woman being able to fight...anyone can learn how to fight. There are entire martial arts disciplines based on the fact that a smaller, weaker person can beat a larger stronger person. And in anime, half the time the people fighting either have super powers or straight up MAGIC, neither of which have anything remotely to do with actual physical ability.
Jan 28, 2017 6:02 PM

Jan 2017
So Shounen is aimed at a young male audience yes but I don't believe that should prevent a female character for being a potential role model to male readers alongside female readers. I feel like anyone can take inspiration from anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, so I don't agree with the idea that because of a shows target demographic that should restrict what a protagonist could be like, so I don't see a problem with a female protagonist in a shounen manga/anime, or any manga/anime for that matter.
Content creators in the anime/manga industry shouldn't have to box themselves in with that bullshit, and neither should viewers.
Jan 28, 2017 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
yeah because female of anime are for background character!
Jan 28, 2017 6:09 PM
Feb 2015
i dont hate Strong female characters when they are in an anime where the Protagonist is a male character that is stronger than her and that she isnt the enemy of the anime but when the Female character is the strongest in an anime i most likely wont watch it since i dont get the same feeling i do as when i watch Male Characters
LouMJan 29, 2017 12:37 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

31 by Freelex888 »»
1 minute ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

97 by Technopunk »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 10 hours ago

21 by GotSpinz »»
14 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

30 by Eggyy »»
39 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

7 by Zarutaku »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.