Forum Settings
Forums

what do u think about fillers? Good OR Bad??

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 19, 2009 2:06 PM

Mar 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
-Shio said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
virgo_sama said:
I love fillers, it's better than the real story most of the time.

Fillers are never better than canon.

Again with the canon thing? Look, some show's fillers lack what the canon story actually has, such as plot or character growth but then again, some shows lack those parts altogether and people still watch them. Take Lucky Star. where was the last time you saw any character devlopement or a semblance of a plot there? Exactly. People still watch it, and like it.

I'm not going into the whole definition of canon thing that you and SBE did, but like he said, canon is completely decided by the creators, so even a filler would be canon if they chose to make it.

To the actual post though, fillers can be bad, or they can be good. Some of the fillers I've seen offer a comic relief episode(s) and are still entertaining. The filler stories, like in Naruto are pretty badly written and impossible to watch because you know that the characters won't have any impact anyways. So I see your point about canon always being better than filler, but that's not the case fillers can be just as equal as the canon show itself. One thing I will say though, is that fillers can probably never surpass the show itself..>_>

No mangaka has ever made a filler. Some have designed characters for a filler episode though. Fillers can never be as equal as the canon show at all.

How do you know there's never been filler made in Manga? Have you read every manga known to man? Just because it's printed doesn't mean there isn't some sort of filler. If a magazine says they give you x pages to fill for their magazine, well guess what, they have to fill x pages, regardless if they have ideas or not. I've read manga where it feels like some chapters were real fillers.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Sep 19, 2009 2:18 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowAlex said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
-Shio said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
virgo_sama said:
I love fillers, it's better than the real story most of the time.

Fillers are never better than canon.

Again with the canon thing? Look, some show's fillers lack what the canon story actually has, such as plot or character growth but then again, some shows lack those parts altogether and people still watch them. Take Lucky Star. where was the last time you saw any character devlopement or a semblance of a plot there? Exactly. People still watch it, and like it.

I'm not going into the whole definition of canon thing that you and SBE did, but like he said, canon is completely decided by the creators, so even a filler would be canon if they chose to make it.

To the actual post though, fillers can be bad, or they can be good. Some of the fillers I've seen offer a comic relief episode(s) and are still entertaining. The filler stories, like in Naruto are pretty badly written and impossible to watch because you know that the characters won't have any impact anyways. So I see your point about canon always being better than filler, but that's not the case fillers can be just as equal as the canon show itself. One thing I will say though, is that fillers can probably never surpass the show itself..>_>

No mangaka has ever made a filler. Some have designed characters for a filler episode though. Fillers can never be as equal as the canon show at all.

How do you know there's never been filler made in Manga? Have you read every manga known to man? Just because it's printed doesn't mean there isn't some sort of filler. If a magazine says they give you x pages to fill for their magazine, well guess what, they have to fill x pages, regardless if they have ideas or not. I've read manga where it feels like some chapters were real fillers.

There is never filler in manga unless it isn't the original source. For instance there is no filler in One Piece or Elfen Lied or Bleach or any other manga like that.
Sep 19, 2009 6:58 PM
Aug 2009
Good. Baseball blues in samurai champloo is mint
Sep 19, 2009 7:48 PM

Jan 2009
Naruto fillers last too long and are generally boring. One Piece has fillers but keeps them between 2-5 episode. So, it really depends on the show and how long it deflects from the main story
Sep 19, 2009 7:58 PM

Mar 2009
Naruto fillers are very long!
Bleach's current filler is the best- the rest were a waste of time.
Sep 19, 2009 8:20 PM

Aug 2007
GiinZo said:
Good. Baseball blues in samurai champloo is mint

That was the original source so that episode wasn't filler.
Sep 19, 2009 9:21 PM

Jul 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
This clearly shows you don't know what filler is.

No this clearly shows that all of you

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 19, 2009 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
If I love the characters, then I love the fillers.
Sep 19, 2009 10:23 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Nah. You're the one who doesn't know what filler is.
Sep 19, 2009 10:23 PM

Sep 2009
I think i prefer fillers over just waiting without anything to watch while the author comes up with more materials, and yes alot of fillers are pretty good too. Even the current one in BLEACH is not bad, although i wouldn't say the same for the bount arc.
Sep 19, 2009 10:28 PM

Mar 2009
Alpha009 said:
I think i prefer fillers over just waiting without anything to watch while the author comes up with more materials, and yes alot of fillers are pretty good too. Even the current one in BLEACH is not bad, although i wouldn't say the same for the bount arc.

The Bount Arc is the worst arc ever.
Sep 19, 2009 10:35 PM

Aug 2009
I hate them! the piss me off! I mean its ok if you throw in one or two but I would rather not watch 30 min of random stuff that has nothing to do with anything
Sep 20, 2009 5:07 AM

Apr 2008
I prefer NO FILLERS >_< .
Sep 20, 2009 5:16 AM

Jul 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

unellmay said:
No this clearly shows that all of you
Bro, I know you're upset that your boyfriend wouldn't let you suck his cock today, but that's no reason for you to post your irrelevant and weak-ass insults.

Well it's not just that he also..

Nah your just boring me with your crappy argument
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 20, 2009 5:22 AM

Jul 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
unellmay said:
Nah your just boring me with your crappy argument
I'm sorry, I didn't realize being right was a crappy argument.

It takes two people to argue

I kinda almost feel that another crappy arguments about to start
oh geez I wanted to watch the bleach movie 8(
Sep 20, 2009 10:01 AM
Jan 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
unellmay said:
It takes two people to argue

I kinda almost feel that another crappy arguments about to start
oh geez I wanted to watch the bleach movie 8(
Well arguments/discussions are what forums are for, this seems to be foreign concept to MAL folk

Too true.
Sep 20, 2009 10:59 AM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Nah. You're the one who doesn't know what filler is.
Then enlighten me jerk-off. What, pray tell, is filler?

There is no such thing as filler in an original source. So that episode was not filler.
Sep 20, 2009 12:18 PM

Aug 2009
it all depends on the quality of the filler. some are funny and enjoyable and some are not.
Sep 20, 2009 2:47 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
There is no such thing as filler in an original source. So that episode was not filler.
OK, that did not answer my question, so if you want to take another go I'd fancy that.

Not my fault you don't know how to read.
Sep 21, 2009 1:12 AM

Jun 2008
It can be relieving to have a single filler or two in a series that strictly follows a heavy storyline... just to let go of the steam.
... but fuck no to what they do in Bleach with postponing the already slow plot-progression by making filler SEASONS!!! *rage*
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Sep 21, 2009 2:00 AM

Apr 2009
generally, too much filler is crap
Sep 21, 2009 2:03 AM

Aug 2009
sywex said:
generally, too much filler is crap

yes.
Sep 21, 2009 2:46 AM

Apr 2009
some fillers are okay .
some just suck.
if its like a shugo chara thing >.>
then fillers are gay.
but if its one or two & they are actually good.
then sure xD

but lately i hated them
in bleach D:<

Sep 21, 2009 3:46 AM

Jul 2009
BAD
Sep 21, 2009 5:20 AM

May 2009
As bad as fillers are, they still are miles ahead of the dreaded and bothersome recap/summary episodes although there's nothing positive for either.
Sep 21, 2009 6:05 AM

Sep 2009
Some fillers are vey good but usually they just suck ^^
Sep 21, 2009 7:33 PM

Dec 2008
normally i dont like fillers...>____>
but there r the few rare fillers that i actually enjoy ^^
Sep 22, 2009 1:24 PM

Aug 2009
They are a necessary evil. Some are average and somewhat entertaining. But for the most part, they're useless garbage :/
Sep 22, 2009 2:15 PM

Sep 2009
I think they're horrible and useless. Some of my friends think they're comical and add some entertainment, and some others say they like them because it drags the anime on longer. That's the exact reason I hate them. They drag on an anime longer, and they're not relevant to the storyline. A never-ending anime series isn't necessarily a good thing.
Sep 22, 2009 2:22 PM

Aug 2009
I hate fillers, but I guess some long anime series need them so whatever.
They're annoying, and they're usually horrible. I've seen a few good fillers, but usually they're boring. =/
Sep 22, 2009 3:45 PM

Aug 2009
Bad in Naruto and Bleach.
Average/good in the other series.
Sep 22, 2009 4:35 PM

Sep 2009
Filler is acceptable in moderation. While most of the time they're pretty annoying, and detract from the story and the series as a whole, they can be quite entertaining at times :3.
However, too many series' seem to resort to piling in the filler in a desperate attempt to prolong the series, and that just...fails.
Sep 22, 2009 6:00 PM

Aug 2009
Well, fillers are really annoying when there's a lot of them. But some are okay to an extent. I mean, honestly, there are a bunch of them which are hilarious and worth your time. Others... not so much.
Sep 22, 2009 7:55 PM

Sep 2009
Bleach's legendary "fillers of 1000 lifetimes" is what made me konvert to the manga>.>
needless to say fillers kan be tolerable if done in lite moderation(Code Geass) But at the same time certain animes have thrived off its konstant fillers*cough*(Inuyasha)
I guess it varies from person to person, in majority i'd say most want to stick to the main story versus a whole new arc (3-6HOURS WORTH OF EPISODES!!!!!)
Sep 22, 2009 8:22 PM
Dec 2008
Bad END OF STORY
Sep 23, 2009 12:49 AM

May 2008
Non-fillers tend to be more fun.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 23, 2009 1:00 AM

Aug 2009
I don't really mind fillers but if they're overdoing it (Naruto) then yeah it's pretty BAD.
Sep 23, 2009 1:29 AM

Jul 2009
luckily i wont have to worry about them anymore since i wont watch any of those long-ass shows but if were talking about filler-like episodes thats another story

EDIT: looked in the other page and saw that you could just call it filler episodes instead of filler-like, still prefer filler-like
MISTER_JIGGLESSep 23, 2009 1:34 AM
Sep 23, 2009 4:38 AM

Mar 2009
KayCea said:
Bleach's legendary "fillers of 1000 lifetimes" is what made me konvert to the manga>.>
needless to say fillers kan be tolerable if done in lite moderation(Code Geass) But at the same time certain animes have thrived off its konstant fillers*cough*(Inuyasha)
I guess it varies from person to person, in majority i'd say most want to stick to the main story versus a whole new arc (3-6HOURS WORTH OF EPISODES!!!!!)

Bleach= LOTS of *boring* fillers and long fight scenes
Sep 23, 2009 6:33 AM

Aug 2009
I guess if i hadn't gone through the naruto fillers, i wouldn't have hated fillers that much.
Sep 23, 2009 1:19 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Not my fault you don't know how to read.
I find it hard to argue with someone who's such a master of illiteracy.

Well, since you seem content on dancing around this, and you don't actually know shit anyway, I'll tell you, again, what filler is, with a quote lifted from TVTropes.

TVTropes said:
Entries in a continuity based serial that have no bearing on the main plot, doesn't significantly alter the dynamic, and generally serves to knock off another entry.

Doesn't matter at all what they say. They are 100% wrong that there are filler in original sources.
Sep 23, 2009 1:23 PM

Sep 2009
i seriously hate fillers.
they are boring, and absolutely annoying imho.

i tend to skip them. i just have no patience.

especially after shugo chara ...
dgkdjgidjgi. RAGE.
Sep 27, 2009 10:23 AM

Jun 2009
I hate about 95% of all the fillers I've seen so far.. but I still watch them because I'm that bored :D
Feb 9, 2010 9:49 PM

Jan 2009
BUMPPP!!

Feb 9, 2010 9:52 PM

Oct 2009
I really don't like fillers... Especially when the plot begins to thicken, and something really intense is going to happen, then allof a sudden a one or two episode filler comes in. It gets annoying sometimes often.

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Feb 9, 2010 10:20 PM
Aug 2008
it depends on the fact if you get to learn about the characters or not.
Feb 9, 2010 10:48 PM

Jan 2009
i HATE fillers with a passion of hellfire

Feb 9, 2010 11:25 PM

Aug 2007
CallMeYourLover said:
it depends on the fact if you get to learn about the characters or not.

If it's a filler you can't learn about characters.
Feb 9, 2010 11:48 PM

Dec 2009
Fillers are fun when it means a break from an all-too-intense plot :D
Well only if they're funny.
Feb 10, 2010 1:41 AM

Feb 2010
Even though I understand why some longer series have filler, I absolutely hate them!! They do nothing but annoy me I such a way that i am usually very close to dropping the anime. Best example is Bleach; I have a friend tell me when the real story goes on again because the fillers there just piss me off.

Horrible, Horrible invention.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Fall 2024 Shoujo/Josei season?! 😲

Dauphine - 3 hours ago

3 by Dauphine »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime genres that rose in popularity and gained relevance as time went on ?

tchitchouan - 36 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime genres that declined in popularity or lost relevance and with time ?

tchitchouan - 45 minutes ago

5 by tchitchouan »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - Yesterday

14 by deg »»
32 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

93 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.