Forums

what would win dual wielding swords vs a spear

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 4, 2014 3:53 AM

Aug 2012
dankickyou said:
lupadim said:

A sword can cut a wooden spear shaft, it just depends on how strong you swing the sword and the quality of the wood the spear has. Also, Spartans did use the spear extensively, I never denied that, I just used the "300 vs millions" example. So stop talking please :s

No, they cannot. A muscle powered swing cannot cut through solid wood worth a damn with a sword unless it is braced. the mechanics simply do not support it, it will simply push the shaft to the side. Spartans never faced "millions". At Thermopylae, there were 6000+ Greeks and less than a eighty thousand Persians. :v
Don't fall for it, he's only gonna throw more nonsensical things that he pulled out of a grapefruit (or soursop).

Meanwhile I'll just add the point that spears can be 1 handed as well. And with one free hand, you're free to use whatever dirty fighting you're up for (throwing stones, dirt, parrying blades if you're wearing gauntlets) and more.
Jan 4, 2014 3:55 AM

Nov 2011
MellowJello said:

Meanwhile I'll just add the point that spears can be 1 handed as well. And with one free hand, you're free to use whatever dirty fighting you're up for (throwing stones, dirt, parrying blades if you're wearing gauntlets) and more.

Everyone and their Mom loved spears for a reason. :p
The Art of Eight
Jan 4, 2014 4:20 AM

Dec 2013
If you are strong enough (anime OP strong) use dual wielding sword so you can cut the spear head off then kill
Jan 4, 2014 9:08 AM

Nov 2011
Fortheza said:
If you are strong enough (anime OP strong) use dual wielding sword so you can cut the spear head off then kill

wat? :s
The Art of Eight
Jan 4, 2014 10:29 AM

Mar 2011
dankickyou said:
MellowJello said:

Because they were the longest phallic object on the battle field?
Jan 4, 2014 10:36 AM

Mar 2012
go kirito
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 5, 2014 7:17 AM

Nov 2011
Infinite said:
dankickyou said:
MellowJello said:

Because they were the longest phallic object on the battle field?

Obviously. however that honor may actually go to the kopia lance.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-F7ITdi7M89c/Uop35iOIhbI/AAAAAAAAD2o/qb5e9MsOSd4/s1600/husarz+kopia+1.jpg
The Art of Eight
Jan 5, 2014 10:59 AM

Feb 2013
Jan 14, 2014 4:20 PM

Apr 2011
Spear obviously

he has more range
Jan 15, 2014 2:43 AM

Oct 2009
If we also taking possible defensive stance into consideration, spears would be a better weapon of choice.

Unlike in movies, video games, or anime- you can't block attacks with your blade, the only way a sword may used to block something is using it's hilt guard. Swords are used mainly to parry attack, and by holding two swords in hand it would make parry difficult, or even impossible, against a strong attack like a two handed spear thrusts. In terms of defense or block, a wide defensive dagger would do a better job than a sword.

With two handed spears, you'll have enough strength in your stances to parry light attack, like one handed swords swings. Spears can also be use to block attack with its body, and given that you hold it with two hand, it gives more rigid stance than a one handed shields.

Now we should also consider offensive factor.

Given a spear long body, a full strength swipe from a spear is strong enough to break a swords parry, and could even disarm a weak grip stance like one handed sword (or dual wield in this scenario).

Dual wielded sword relies on flows of successive attacks, which only useful against a person who has no protective armors or defensive weapons, even Musashi Miyamoto is not a 'true' 'dual wielded' swordsman, his uses two different swords, his short sword is used as defensive dagger, just like the European style of fencing (sword and dagger combination), while his attack mostly using his longer swords. niten'ichi Ryu uses the flow between parrying and attacking of these swords which overwhelmed single bladed users. So it is not as how it was often portrayed in popular culture, wielding two identical sword class in both hands.
azzuReJan 15, 2014 2:58 AM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jan 15, 2014 4:46 AM
Jan 2014
Spear will win, every time.

If you want a chance at all you will have to trade one of those swords for a shield.
In fact, you are better off with one sword and a free hand than two swords against a spearman. With a free hand, there is still a slight chance that you could control their spear or grapple with the opponent. Dual wielding, there is no chance in hell of you cleaving through their spear.
Jan 15, 2014 4:52 AM

Dec 2013
Dual wielding reminds me of Kirito so . . . I gotta say spear for the win.
Jan 15, 2014 4:53 AM

Jul 2008
I think the spear wielder would require way more skill in order to beat a skillful dual blader because dual blading is more flexible :)
Jan 15, 2014 6:03 AM
May 2009
Not to sure about Dual wielding being more flexible. as there is a high risk of you nicking or cutting your other arm, Thus you need more skill in handling two swords.

Plus I am sure alot of people here are thinking of a situation where the spear wielder only uses thrusts as their main form of attack. or are assuming that only the spear head will be used as a weapon.

The fact is the spear can be used in, long, med and short. There are techniques that have been developed over the long history of humans and weapons that detail this.

And out of personal experience, amateurs can do alot better in when they are armed with a long pole, then a two sword length stick. Since its very easy to knock the sticks out of their hand with a good swing, then instantly go for the thrust. That or use continous random short thrust at a low angle, changing at times to throw them off, Using short thrusts, will ensure that they will be kept at bay.

However this is based on two amateurs.

But if its two skilled masters, it will depend on how skilled they are, and where they are. cause lets be honest location and surroundings matter in battle.
Jan 15, 2014 10:42 AM

Oct 2013
If you think dual wielding is a good idea, you should stop watching anime for while.
Jan 15, 2014 10:43 AM

Nov 2013
judgelethal said:
If you think dual wielding is a good idea, you should stop watching anime for while.

Actually it is if you know how...

Jan 2014
it depends on the length of the spear but totally the spear if its long enough and the person using it isn't a wimp.
anime with cute girls is my thing.

Jan 2014
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

if your a pro yes it is easy but if you is a noob you just shouldn't.
Jan 15, 2014 10:50 AM

Nov 2013
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

Well since im NOOB i repeat NOOB i would just drop one sword and kill him with another :/
Jan 15, 2014 10:55 AM
May 2009
Devastation123 said:
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

Well since im NOOB i repeat NOOB i would just drop one sword and kill him with another :/

Actually in that case, you'd have a bettter chance of creating an opening if you threw the other sword at him.
Jan 15, 2014 10:57 AM

Nov 2013
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

Actually in that case, you'd have a bettter chance of creating an opening if you threw the other sword at him.

Its just waste of time...
Drop sword, catch spear then pull it and stab opponent...
Thats why throwing would be waste...
Jan 15, 2014 11:00 AM

Jan 2014
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

if the spear user is good he would be thrusting you it would be hard to catch...
Jan 15, 2014 11:01 AM

Nov 2013
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

if the spear user is good he would be thrusting you it would be hard to catch...

Since im noob with dual wielding it would be unfair if he were experienced...
Jan 15, 2014 11:54 AM
May 2009
Devastation123 said:
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
text27 said:
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

Since im noob with dual wielding it would be unfair if he were experienced...

If you were going to catch the spear without creating an opening you would most likely fail, since if your a noob I doubt you would be able to catch the first strike. So instead of just dropping the extra sword, throw it. Noob would dodge or try to deflect. making it easier for you to grab the spear.

Otherwise the noob just has to stand his ground and keep the spear at a dgood distance, and jsut counterattack as soon as you come within range. Also thrusting is not the only attack option of the spear.
Jan 15, 2014 12:01 PM

Nov 2013
shintai88 said:
If you were going to catch the spear without creating an opening you would most likely fail, since if your a noob I doubt you would be able to catch the first strike. So instead of just dropping the extra sword, throw it. Noob would dodge or try to deflect. making it easier for you to grab the spear.

Otherwise the noob just has to stand his ground and keep the spear at a dgood distance, and jsut counterattack as soon as you come within range. Also thrusting is not the only attack option of the spear.

I would easily catch spear...
Im not too sure i would be able to land a hit tho
And i doubt i would need to do anything without opening since opponent probably wouldnt be able to use it...
Jan 15, 2014 12:06 PM
May 2009
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:

I would easily catch spear...
Im not too sure i would be able to land a hit tho
And i doubt i would need to do anything without opening since opponent probably wouldnt be able to use it...

Considering we are basing this arguement on two noobs I doubt it would play out the way you or I say. Since in event it could play out either way. For all we know the spear noob would wield the spear like sword. and in that case the swing would be more powerful then your shorter weapon. But since your both noobs I doubt any damage would be done to either since you would be to wary of each other, and afriad of getting hurt.

And since grabbing or catching a spear requires not only courage, and timing its not the most effective tactic. Not to mention you would need to know how to side step or advance forward in order to catch or grab the spear which a noob won't have.
Jan 15, 2014 12:10 PM

Nov 2013
shintai88 said:
Considering we are basing this arguement on two noobs I doubt it would play out the way you or I say. Since in event it could play out either way. For all we know the spear noob would wield the spear like sword. and in that case the swing would be more powerful then your shorter weapon. But since your both noobs I doubt any damage would be done to either since you would be to wary of each other, and afriad of getting hurt.

And since grabbing or catching a spear requires not only courage, and timing its not the most effective tactic. Not to mention you would need to know how to side step or advance forward in order to catch or grab the spear which a noob won't have.

So we decided that i would win :/
Jan 15, 2014 12:12 PM
May 2009
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:

Nope.
Jan 15, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:

Nope.
i would win with my spear attack yo face.
Jan 15, 2014 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:

Nope.
ok lets be real
faster one would win :/
Jan 15, 2014 12:19 PM

Jan 2014
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:

Nope.
ok lets be real
me of course full chop is hard to block :3
Jan 15, 2014 12:19 PM
May 2009
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:
Devastation123 said:
shintai88 said:

Nope.
ok lets be real
~

In that case yes faster one would win, regardless of which weapon they had.
Jan 15, 2014 12:21 PM
Jul 2012
spear
Jan 15, 2014 8:34 PM

Nov 2011
Devastation123 said:
judgelethal said:

No....
The Art of Eight
Jan 18, 2014 7:37 AM

Jan 2014
Spear. It's really just one throw then done.

Chances of dual blades being able to deflect such a projectile is zero to none
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2014 7:43 AM

Nov 2013
MagicalMahou said:

Its easy to dodge spear :/
And throwing away your only weapon isnt really smartest idea...
Jan 19, 2014 11:23 AM

Oct 2009
Devastation123 said:
MagicalMahou said:

If you can dodge spear thrusts, then maybe you can dodge arrows..

Spear is one of the close range weapons that is hard to read, save the flexible 'slapping' Chinese spears, a spearman (anywhere in the world) basic stance is always point the tip to the opponent eyes, to give an illusion of depth that would makes it difficult for one to estimate the length of the pole and the speed of it's thrusts, while it's swipe is always wide where the tip of the blade is outside of opponent field of vision. Chances are, if you're within the spear reach, you won't see it coming.
Jan 19, 2014 11:28 AM

May 2013
it's not about the weapon, it's about the martial artist.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jan 19, 2014 11:46 AM

Nov 2013
azzuRe said:
Devastation123 said:
MagicalMahou said:

Spear is one of the close range weapons that is hard to read, save the flexible 'slapping' Chinese spears, a spearman (anywhere in the world) basic stance is always point the tip to the opponent eyes, to give an illusion of depth that would makes it difficult for one to estimate the length of the pole and the speed of it's thrusts, while it's swipe is always wide where the tip of the blade is outside of opponent field of vision. Chances are, if you're within the spear reach, you won't see it coming.

In case of that experienced opponent i wouldnt even bother to dodge :/
Jan 19, 2014 11:52 AM

May 2013
Devastation123 said:
azzuRe said:
Devastation123 said:
MagicalMahou said:

There's always a weakness against any type of weapons or whatever it is move, because if there's none, then everyone will just be that kind of a martial artist. Experts will know how to evade spears, they sure are trained on how to deal against that technique of yours.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jan 19, 2014 11:57 AM

Apr 2011
Blades are more badass though, no doubt.
Jan 19, 2014 12:12 PM

Mar 2008
YolozuyaSwagDad said:
Blades on spears are even more badass though, no doubt.
Jan 19, 2014 12:14 PM

Nov 2013
YolozuyaSwagDad said:

but that badass wont be badass anymore when he gets killed :/
Jan 19, 2014 12:34 PM

Jan 2014
Ckan said:

Spears on blades are the most bad of asses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Jan 19, 2014 12:35 PM

Nov 2013
VNitsua said:
Ckan said:

then why dont put bazookas on arrows and they will once again be most badass weapon :/
Jan 19, 2014 12:36 PM

Apr 2011
Devastation123 said:
YolozuyaSwagDad said:

but that badass wont be badass anymore when he gets killed :/

Looks>result
Jan 19, 2014 12:37 PM

Mar 2008
VNitsua said:
Ckan said:

They are strongest when thrown underarm with topspin.
Jan 19, 2014 12:55 PM

Oct 2009
pauro19 said:
Devastation123 said:
azzuRe said:
Devastation123 said:
MagicalMahou said:

There's always a weakness against any type of weapons or whatever it is move, because if there's none, then everyone will just be that kind of a martial artist. Experts will know how to evade spears, they sure are trained on how to deal against that technique of yours.

While it's true, there are far less experts in real battle, which is the reason why spears is used for millennium in combat for its simplicity and effectiveness in the battlefield, and that is why in most traditional armed martial arts, staff (or spears equivalent) is one of the basic arts one has to learn before advancing into the main weapon course.
Jan 19, 2014 2:20 PM

Jun 2013
Spear, you use it a lot like you use a pitchfork just stab. Even if the other person some how manages to dodge you still have plenty of range on him to back up and stab again.
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Jan 19, 2014 2:55 PM

Feb 2010
On foot or horseback?
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which of these 6 sets of values sounds like you the most?

IpreferEcchi - May 28

9 by IpreferEcchi »»
15 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

828 by Crawlie »»
1 hour ago

» Why aren't Americans rioting over the fact that McDonalds is now a Luxury Item?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

27 by Lost_Viking »»
1 hour ago

» Celeb crush ( 1 2 )

literally_boba - Jul 6, 2021

56 by pludel2 »»
1 hour ago

» do you still live with your parents?

FruitPunchBaka - May 29

35 by traed »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.