Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Mar 9, 2023 7:47 PM
Dec 2008
Morcombe1990 said:
it's a fun "turn of your brain popcorn flick" movie but easily the weakest of the 5 "Films" overseen by Oda.

the songs are good and Uta's powers are interesting, the action is great, the fanservice at the end with shanks is worth watching the movie for alone.

just a couple things that bugged me, first is fujitora being ok with akainu and kizaru's plan to kill Uta and 70% of the world population makes no damn sense, based on his manga appearances there is absolutely no way he would go along with that, he even goes back to that personality at the end of the film when he refuses to fight shanks with so many sleeping civilians around, but just 30 minutes ago he was fine helping wipe out over half the world.

Then let me spell it out for you by asking a direct question: what exactly was the alternative at that point in the story?

From their point of view, doing nothing would be the worst case scenario because letting Uta continue her plan means the songs would reach more and more people across the world. Fujitora might not like it, but there was no obvious alternative.

In fact, if Uta didn't voluntarily bring all of those people back, then they would be forever trapped and as good as dead at the end of the movie. 

Shanks is a moron, sure it was nice that he wanted Uta to achieve her dream but you do not abandon your child under any circumstances on a lie, this entire movie and her "death" is entirely his fault. really hurt his character for me.

You're talking about the same Shanks who lost his arm in a manner that, in retrospect, seems increasingly silly every passing year. He's not perfect and made a mistake in judgment. 

If you want Shanks to be squeaky-clean and free from any sort of humanity, then I can see why you would be disappointed. I think it makes him more relatable, especially in the full context. He was also much younger than he's now.

Just got my hand on the movie, managed to suffer through it.
What a disappointment. Holy shit...
I gave it a 4/10, but feels like it might be too generous. I've been watching anime OVAs and movies for a really long time now. I've seen pretty much every major release related to a big name medium, but this really feels like a bottom barrel movie. Best decision of my life that I didn't buy a movie ticket for this garbage. Probably would have walked out after like 30 mins.

Thankfully, your opinion isn't shared by the vast majority of people who watched this movie, including many how have similar or even greater experience. 

It just shows your mind is closed off to new approaches and ways of creating a movie.
MadonisMar 9, 2023 7:51 PM
Mar 9, 2023 8:52 PM
Sep 2010
Madonis said:
Morcombe1990 said:
it's a fun "turn of your brain popcorn flick" movie but easily the weakest of the 5 "Films" overseen by Oda.

the songs are good and Uta's powers are interesting, the action is great, the fanservice at the end with shanks is worth watching the movie for alone.

just a couple things that bugged me, first is fujitora being ok with akainu and kizaru's plan to kill Uta and 70% of the world population makes no damn sense, based on his manga appearances there is absolutely no way he would go along with that, he even goes back to that personality at the end of the film when he refuses to fight shanks with so many sleeping civilians around, but just 30 minutes ago he was fine helping wipe out over half the world.

Then let me spell it out for you by asking a direct question: what exactly was the alternative at that point in the story?

From their point of view, doing nothing would be the worst case scenario because letting Uta continue her plan means the songs would reach more and more people across the world. Fujitora might not like it, but there was no obvious alternative.

In fact, if Uta didn't voluntarily bring all of those people back, then they would be forever trapped and as good as dead at the end of the movie. 

Shanks is a moron, sure it was nice that he wanted Uta to achieve her dream but you do not abandon your child under any circumstances on a lie, this entire movie and her "death" is entirely his fault. really hurt his character for me.

You're talking about the same Shanks who lost his arm in a manner that, in retrospect, seems increasingly silly every passing year. He's not perfect and made a mistake in judgment. 

If you want Shanks to be squeaky-clean and free from any sort of humanity, then I can see why you would be disappointed. I think it makes him more relatable, especially in the full context. He was also much younger than he's now.

Shanks abandoned a girl who spent her entire life on his ship up till that point, sharing a father-daughter bond. whether Uta is on that ship or not, his crew can still take the blame for it with no problems.
Not only does he abandon her, he leaves her in complete isolation on an island of ruin that she was the accidental cause of and he leaves her in the one place where tot musica (you know the cause of the whole bloody problem) is located, literally the one island in the entire world you DO NOT want to leave her on was that one.
I'm sorry if you love shanks so much you cant see how stupid a decision that was. I have no problem with shanks being portrayed as a complex character, but this literally paints him as the biggest idiot in the world.

the othor adoptive father is just as stupid as shanks is, why stay on that island, why not take uta to another island where she can actually have a relatively normal life, he doesn't need to keep her on that island to make her a singer, he can teach her music anywhere.

as for Uta herself. she literally had won, she didnt have to do anything, just wait it out, no one could stop her, activating tot musica was the one thing that could lead to her defeat so why do it?
like i said its a good turn of your brain popcorn action flick, but thats it.

as for fujitora, come up with any excuse you like, the character from the manga would not kill civilians under any circumstances otherwise he would still have his eyesight, they should have just used green bull at least then it would have made sense.
Mar 10, 2023 9:58 AM

Oct 2017
I dont mind the musical part at all despite it may feel strange at first.
What brings my opinion of this show down is how they try to force me to sympathize the antagonist so much that kinda makes me feel uncomfortable.
The worst part being later half all she does is asking everyone to shut up w.o reasoning. Apparently just because she is Shank's daughter everyone has to forgive her/ like her, ok.

Like Uta is well aware of the whole truth yet she still did what she did and then everyone has to symphasize her no matter what cuz she's crying, ok bro. 
Also it feels cheap they just conveniently add an original character in all these flashback even though no-one knows it beforehand, and  none of them are ever forshadowed so it makes the plot hole bigger than ever. Oh, to not contradict to the manga series they have to conveniently kill her off so a character with this deep connection with the main casts do not altered the manga series' plotline lolz.

Also this Devil fruit ability is darn right broken it can affect people at a global scale lolz 
And no escape method and she's darn right invincible in her realm despite how easy the requirement to pull people in. 
Worst part is you cant even kill her or you're trapped forever.  And she can easily kill your real world body if she's willing to.
Like it takes this many S tier characters to bring her down it is downright baffling and kinda ruin the equilibrium of Devil Fruit strength.

Anyway i like the songs and the direction they're taking for the first half but the forced drama/ forced sympathize, and forced redemption in the end(oh yeah she song to revert what she did, now she's a hero that need to be sympathized , right bro) put me off quite a bit.  
Mar 10, 2023 10:05 AM

Oct 2017
Morcombe1990 said:
Madonis said:

Shanks abandoned a girl who spent her entire life on his ship up till that point, sharing a father-daughter bond. whether Uta is on that ship or not, his crew can still take the blame for it with no problems.
Not only does he abandon her, he leaves her in complete isolation on an island of ruin that she was the accidental cause of and he leaves her in the one place where tot musica (you know the cause of the whole bloody problem) is located, literally the one island in the entire world you DO NOT want to leave her on was that one.
I'm sorry if you love shanks so much you cant see how stupid a decision that was. I have no problem with shanks being portrayed as a complex character, but this literally paints him as the biggest idiot in the world.

the othor adoptive father is just as stupid as shanks is, why stay on that island, why not take uta to another island where she can actually have a relatively normal life, he doesn't need to keep her on that island to make her a singer, he can teach her music anywhere.

as for Uta herself. she literally had won, she didnt have to do anything, just wait it out, no one could stop her, activating tot musica was the one thing that could lead to her defeat so why do it?

as for fujitora, come up with any excuse you like, the character from the manga would not kill civilians under any circumstances otherwise he would still have his eyesight, they should have just used green bull at least then it would have made sense.
Agreed, both Shank and Adopted daddy are retarded in this film.

Sure hiding truama, but instead causing way bigger trauma.
At least make a better excuse of the Island destruction instead of making her think she's abandoned and betrayed for 12 years.

And yes, 12 freaking years of deceiving, so darn right stupid. If he really care he wouldn't wait 12 years.

All of these seems like plot convenience to cover up all the plot hole of the existence of Uta cuz apparently Luffy has this unknown childhood friend and Shank has this unknown musician no-one knows about it til 12 years after. (oh, apparently she has gone live for 2 years too and apparently Luffy/ Shank didn't know about it until now)
Mar 10, 2023 5:43 PM
Dec 2008
Morcombe1990 said:

Shanks had good intentions but didn't have the full picture of the situation. He hadn't raised anyone before (that we currently know of), so making bad parenting decisions is natural enough. Hindsight is 20/20, so it's really easy to make complaints and offer other solutions when you can look back without being in that situation yourself.

In my opinion, even in the manga Shanks is not supposed to be a perfect genius and I'm sure we'll see him make at least one more big mistake before the manga is over (in fact, my personal bet is we'll see Shanks dying before the story is over, sooner or later, and Luffy is the one who will succeed in this dream, not anyong else).

Actually, I think you have it backwards. Uta only activated Tot Musica out of desperation when a ton of people were already fighting her and ruining her plan. Besides, it's important to consider the character's mental and emotional state. Which the people who dislike Uta usually don't do, they only look at the situation from a distance without any empathy. 

Let's see, because the situation in the movie was an extreme one where there were no other solutions available to Fujitora. He does nothing, Uta wins and maybe more than 70% of the world dies either way.

Mar 10, 2023 5:47 PM
Dec 2008
Ventus_S said:
Like Uta is well aware of the whole truth yet she still did what she did and then everyone has to symphasize her no matter what cuz she's crying, ok bro. 

Knowing the "truth" doesn't solve the problem from Uta's perspective. On the contrary, it places an additional burden on her and it doesn't erase the trauma of the past. Nor does it eliminate the desperate pleas of her plans, which is what initially pushed her down this road to begin with. It's literally part of the first scene in the movie and yet folks seem to downplay or ignore it during these sorts of conversations.

From her perspective, Uta couldn't simply turn back without being exposed to people blaming her for the destruction of the island (the recording of the "truth" literally has someone turning against her). I suppose someone who was much older and experienced than Uta would be able to do so, but that's just a hypothetical.  

As for a "new" character being introduced...give me a break. One Piece has had retcons before and it will have retcons in the future (not about the biggest secrets, probably not, but about smaller ones). 
Mar 12, 2023 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
lmao lol so did uta sing herself to death like a total psycho? ending was too ambiguous but fitting regardless.
Mar 12, 2023 10:55 PM

Jul 2011
In a horribly simplistic way to put, Uta was a millenial Youtuber activist, that died because she drank too many energy drinks.

I enjoy the whole idol thing, but seeing how this was a very musical movie, is a shame not having Uta singing some sea shanty.
Mar 18, 2023 5:57 PM
Dec 2008
BlichoBoy said:
In a horribly simplistic way to put, Uta was a millenial Youtuber activist, that died because she drank too many energy drinks.

I enjoy the whole idol thing, but seeing how this was a very musical movie, is a shame not having Uta singing some sea shanty.

You can still read between the lines and interpret the movie as an implicit criticism of the way people become so addicted to V-Tubers, idols and similar characters. They don't spell it out, but I think the elements are clearly present.
Mar 21, 2023 11:24 PM

Aug 2012
Wound up pretty disappointed with this. Came in expecting this to be one of the most fun One Piece movies, left it thinking it's one of the worst One Piece movies.

Let's start with the obvious, Ado's involvement. Going in I already heard "New Genesis" in full multiple times. It was played in one of the trailers, so I listened to it plenty as I knew I wouldn't be watching the movie anytime soon. And it's a great power pop song, and it really had me hyped up for the rest of the soundtrack, which I decided to save for the movie itself. The soundtrack from Ado herself ended solid I think. "Backlight" probably wound up as my favourite, I think it's her strongest vocal performance by far, and I also really liked "Tot Musica". "The World's Continuation" is a bit too slow at first, but I think the chorus brings enough power that I really liked. The other three songs I didn't like, "I'm Invincible" is just boring, "Where the Wind Blows" is too slow for my liking, and "Fleeting Lullaby" is one of the most aggressively annoying songs I've heard in awhile. I do appreciate how different these songs could be, despite only really liking half the songs itself.

However a musical's quality isn't determined by the quality of the songs alone, but how well those songs are incorporated into the film and this is where I feel the film fails. To start with the positives, the songs make sense to be there in the narrative, no real issue there. Secondly, I like that we hear "The World's Continuation" briefly in a flashback explaining Uta's loneliness, as she's clearly calling back Shanks & the Red Hair Pirates, before later using the song in the climax to call back all the souls. It was nice to have the song seeded earlier, and for the lyrics to fit in both contexts. But beyond that, there's nothing here that really takes advantage of a musical structure. The pacing between the songs is a bit uneven too imo, it definitely felt like the first half crammed in way more songs than the second half. Albeit, I think this worked in the movie's favour, because how they presented these songs were awful.

I really wish Uta's songs weren't transparently Ado music video inserted into a One Piece film and felt more like a part of the movie. I can sort of forgive "New Genesis" since it was the opening performance, but I'm less forgiving of the other instances where action was going on. The decision to basically remove all sound effects during these fights so the song can take centerstage was a terrible one, it renders the battles during these scenes completely toothless, there's no impact to anything because it's more important you hear the song itself, but I can listen to the songs without fighting sounds whenever I want, they shouldn't have let this impact the impact of the fights. In the second half, they correct themselves as some sound effects do remain in but that doesn't excuse the first half. I love "Backlight" as a song, but as a part of the movie it feels weightless because the song is more important than what's actually happening on screen.

And I just think these music videos sequences look pretty ugly. There are good cuts in there, but there's also a lot of ugly out-of-place CGI, and it feels like it's just trying to distract with a bunch of flashy bright colours rather than appeal through strong animation or interesting choreography. And a lot of the stuff made me cringe, especially the "Tot Musica" sequence where we get a bunch of close up with Uta having the typical over-the-top crazy evil expression, yuck. 

The animation outside of these were good, but honestly most of the sakuga highlights I've seen from the Wano arc are more appealing to me visually. Outside of the final attack from Shanks & Luffy, nothing really stands out as a visual highlight to me. Tot Musica kinda, he's the only CGI that even remotely works in the film, but I'll talk more about him later. One last comment on the production side of things, the instrumental "New Genesis" remixed with "We Are" was the best musical moment of the movie hands down. I guess that's another way the movie using the musical nature well, if "New Genesis" hadn't played in the beginning, that moment would be less effective. So that's too effective usages of the musical nature of the film.

But enough about Ado, let's talk about Uta. I do not like her as a character, pretty much at all. There's some decent payoffs here, the aforementioned "The World's Continuation" is a solid redemptive moment, I'm glad they stuck to the stakes and actually killed her, even if they were kind of forced to because of canon. But otherwise, the brokenness of her Jigglypuff's power is a bit hard to swallow, especially in conjunction with Tot Musica. I do feel like a lot of these One Piece moves, attempt to go too far with the stakes. 70% of the world's population is a bit too heavy off a threat for a singular Devil Fruit. I feel like Film Z made a similar mistake and up-ing the stakes too high, but at least Film Red has the Idol themeing to make it work better, since at least it's rooted in something other than a plot MacGuffin like Dyna-Stones. Still, it actually being impossible to wake up under any circumstance except this oddly specific Tot Musica simul-attack, and the effects being permanent with Uta's death feels like overkill. It obviously needs to be that way in order for the plot to function with dramatic stakes, but it also instantly comes across as something they need to do for the plot to function. It feels forced.

As a character though, I don't really find Uta all that likeable. I think I could've got behind her, but there are two things that really hurt me liking her. The first, and maybe the most baffling, was revealing that Uta actually knew all along that Shanks & the Red Hair Pirates were still good people and it was her with Tot Musica that cause the tragedy. On one hand, I like that the reveal of this to her in-plot didn't resolve it, the whole "He was painting himself as the bad guy for her benefit" lie twist is so overplayed and wouldn't have felt like an earned resolution. But at least in that case he usage of Tot Musica and overwhelming hatred she portrayed towards pirates made sense. I know she was also inspired by the messages from her fans but the massive hatred towards all Pirates even Luffy doesn't work as well anymore without the inciting misunderstanding. Even if you're someone who thinks her bitterness over being left behind was enough justification, you'd have to admit it made so much more sense when she believed even the family she loved so much turned out to be evil savages like those that plagued her fans. There'd be much more weight to her turning on Luffy with his refusal to abandon the pirate status.

And then there's the second problem with Uta Uchiha, the Wake-Shrooms. Around the two-thirds point of the film, Sanji reveals that along with staying up & killing the eater, there exists a third side-effect from the Wake-Shroom, losing emotional control & turning aggressive. This is such a cheap way for the narrative to be able to handwave the actions of Uta into a more sympathetic light. She didn't do this because of her own beliefs or agency, she did this because of the drug altering her brain chemistry into an irrational state. It's annoying that they'd put this narrative cheap in the movie, it's even more annoying that they waited so long before revealing it. Like, why wouldn't Blueno or Koby mention this during their initial spiel, considering Uta's emotional state is definitely something important to consider due to the severity of the situation. Are we to believe that Cipher-Pol didn't know about this? The fact that it should've naturally been brought up earlier, but it saved for right before Uta unleashes Tot Musica is a blatant attempt at trying to lessen her own accountability for releasing the Demon King due to her chemically altered brain. One of the most frustrating, manipulative writing tricks I've seen in a One Piece movie.

Even though it was adoptive, you can tell that Shanks & Uta are truly father & daughter considering both of them show a complete lack of care for the personal agency/freedom of those they care about. Uta didn't care that any of the audience's desire to return home and like tend to sheep like that one kid, and Shanks didn't care that Uta explicitly wanted to continue traveling forward as the Red Hair Pirates' musician. It's not even like she hesitated, her rejection was instant. Shanks position is a bit more understandable as direct parental authority over her but seriously, why the fuck did he think the best thing for Uta was abandoning her on a graveyard island whilst also convincing her that the family she thought loved them didn't? Sure, isolate a kid from all of society and make sure she thinks that nobody really loved her at first?

And to be clear, I don't mind Shanks making a bad choice as a parent (& this 100% was), but I do take issue with the fact the movie doesn't actually criticize him for it. Uta's loneliness aside, the movie largely portrays Shanks' decision as a righteous one, it doesn't really paint him in the wrong for him. Both Shanks & Uta in the movie make life-changing decisions for others in the movie, under the belief it's for the best/what they really want, while not really listening to what they want when confronted with it. "I don't want to stay behind, I want to continuing being a pirate with you" so Shanks removes her agency and forces her on the singer path. "I don't want to live in a perpetual concert, I want to go back home and tend to sheep", so Uta removes their agency and makes them like toys instead. There's a direct parallel painted her that the movie never does anything with.

To move away from complaints, Tot Musica is mostly a cool villain. As someone who actually preferred the One Piece movies before Oda got involved, I'm glad to see One Piece Film Red bring backs some of the mysticism that those earlier movies featured. Does it really fit in with One Piece's established world? Not really, but that's part of the appeal for me. Chopper Kingdom of Strange Animal Island, Curse of the Sacred Sword, and Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island all forgo typical Devil Fruit explanations and have something a little more mystical and out-there from the One Piece norm. That's one element from all three of those films I really like, and it's one of my favourites about this too. Tot Musica is more of a Kirby Final Boss than anything belonging in One Piece, and that's kinda cool.

It'd be a lot cooler if Tot Musica was an active threat. Kinda felt too defensive/reactive but whatever, that's a small quibble. The action scenes against him were still pretty fun. I like the bit where Sanji saves Brulee, and it's cool that Yasopp & Usopp got a moment. And while the attack in both realities thing is so clearly manufactured, it's still at least a little cool to see it in action. Again, the Shanks/Luffy final attack is the only one that stands out as a highlight, but most of it still fun enough. A lot of the action doesn't work because the music was prioritized over it, but the Tot Musica stuff mostly works.

Comedy-wise this was hit or miss, with probably a stronger miss ratio. Loved Sunny turning into a Pokémon, but mini-Blueno didn't do anything for me. The extended looney tunes sequence with Luffy & Bartomoleo in the barrier was painfully unfunny, as was some of the Bepo gags. But there were good bits here, like Franky collapsing the building on them. I did get a good laugh out of how often Luffy feel for the "Drink this" trick. When we saw him fall for it the flashback I thought, well it's been a long time since then so it figures he'd fall for it again, but then Beckmann said "I can't believe he fell for it again" which I thought was a funny twist. It's not just her doing something that worked once when they were kids, she was doing something she always did when they were kids. The flashbacks with Luffy's awful straw hat drawing was also funny, and Luffy forgetting about her Devil Fruit is just amusing enough to not be a narrative detriment.

Speaking of her devil fruit power, while I already explained that the mechanics of it felt too over the top, that it only functioned this way because it was necessary for the plot, I do think the idea of a collective dream world was a solid one. It was a good twist that was hinted at just enough before it was explained, that made sense of all the previous interactions. And while the nature of escaping is convoluted as hell, the dream stuff itself lent itself to some funky visuals. This could be hit or miss as mentioned before, but still.

Finally, One Piece's cast has gotten really big, but I will credit this movie for still finding ways to make most of the Straw Hats themselves valuable. Always happy to see Nico Robin play a crucial role with figuring out the lore & how to defeat Tot Musica. While I hate the information he doled out, giving Sanji that little thread was nice, what with him discovering the Wake-Shroom earlier on. Brook as the other singer getting them free by interpreting the song was a nice touch. Usopp helped Robin read the roof and his Observation Haki with dad. Nami got Brulee to help them escape Franky's mistake. Zoro, Jinbei, and Chopper I don't recall getting anything beyond typical action sequences, but still with how expensive the cast is I thought the did a good job of doling out tasks for the Straw Hats and other popular characters like Law & Bartolomeo as well.

Rating this was a bit of a tough one. I probably feel about a 5 towards it but I think it just scrapes by with 6. I tend to be a pretty generous scorer in general, and to be honest, since Film Z scrapped by with a 6, I didn't want to go lower with Red. I think Red may be worse than Z, but I'm not sure on that so I don't want to definitively stamp it as such yet. And I refuse to lower Film Z's score without a re-watch, which I'm not interested in doing. I gave a lot of One Piece movies a 6/10 I think, but there's definitely a range of within those films, and Z & Red are definitely at the bottom of that list. Both were movies I went into expecting them to be among my favourites if anything, so maybe my expectations are to blame, but still upsetting. 
Mar 22, 2023 5:56 AM

Jul 2016
Mattuzmk said:
Just got my hand on the movie, managed to suffer through it.
What a disappointment. Holy shit...
I gave it a 4/10, but feels like it might be too generous. I've been watching anime OVAs and movies for a really long time now. I've seen pretty much every major release related to a big name medium, but this really feels like a bottom barrel movie. Best decision of my life that I didn't buy a movie ticket for this garbage. Probably would have walked out after like 30 mins.

Yep,, was utter trash. Pace was gross and too much tried to fill in.
Mar 22, 2023 1:59 PM
Jan 2013
canon-like but really bad filler.

Mar 22, 2023 11:50 PM

Jun 2020
ngl this movie was pretty ass bruh nothing interesting happened mid animation and if u came here for ado then spotify exists u can listen to the full songs over there 💀💀
Mar 24, 2023 1:33 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beppo, hilarious, always shiny in the worst instant!!! 10/10
The sunny transformation, cool and chibi! 10/10

A person that lost the head and wants revenge and have a great power and try to do his/her mundial order.... ordinary plot! 1/10

Music 10/10
Animation style 10/10
Animation quality 9/10
dramatics 2/10
comedy 4/10
action 6/10
Uta Character 10/10
Uta evolution 5/10
Uta end 1/10

Why create or make a film when there are 10 great songs and there is unnecesary the Luffy appearance?

I didnt like the film in general

4/10

Mar 25, 2023 10:27 PM

Sep 2018
Not a fan of what writers did with Uta and Shanks, enjoyed the musical aspect of the film though. 7/10. Writing was contrived, but everything else was fairly entertaining. Decent popcorn movie.
Mar 25, 2023 11:58 PM

Jan 2014
I don't know why everyone seems to rate this too high for this movie. 
the story itself is pretty much simple and a big missunderstanding, which is kinda weak plot if you ask me.
and the power scale for this movie is kinda off the chart, Uta is too overpowered, she seems too strong for a non pirate, which is ridiculous.
we all know haki > df. so even if Luffy trapped in the dream world, he should be easily freed with his conqueror haki alone. but this seems like it wasn't the case.
the fight against Tot Musica also is not as hype as it should be, maybe since it's a monster that never been exist in cannon OP world.
I'd prefer a fight between pirates or a fight between marine and pirates.
overall is ok, but not that amazing like everyone telling here.

I can't decide if it 5/10 or 6/10 for me.
Mar 30, 2023 1:20 PM

Apr 2013
Was an alright movie, expected worse actually. The backstory did not make much sense, why would Shanks lie to her? He basically told the dude to tell her he abandoned her, surely that would not leave any emotional scars lol. And then once Uta found out she still tried to kill everyone? Pretty dumb.

Lots of fanservice in this movie, like Katakuri making an appearance without any real point. Also I like how Law's ability is still too hax, even in a world where Uta was practically god xD

Best scene was Uta fighting the marines who tried to catch her, that was pretty smooth. Also we've clearly seen that Shanks > Kizaru, so emperors > admirals finally confirmed :3
Apr 1, 2023 3:44 PM
Nov 2019
It was a pretty good movie and also has very good animation.
Apr 3, 2023 2:27 AM

May 2018
I don't like musicals, and the whole movie felt like one.
For sure I was expecting more :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2023 8:22 AM

Jun 2022
Every song was so good and I teared up at the end. Also, I can't believe Gear 5 was here. 
Apr 6, 2023 10:26 AM
Dec 2008
Terrestrious said:
As a character though, I don't really find Uta all that likeable. I think I could've got behind her, but there are two things that really hurt me liking her. The first, and maybe the most baffling, was revealing that Uta actually knew all along that Shanks & the Red Hair Pirates were still good people and it was her with Tot Musica that cause the tragedy. On one hand, I like that the reveal of this to her in-plot didn't resolve it, the whole "He was painting himself as the bad guy for her benefit" lie twist is so overplayed and wouldn't have felt like an earned resolution. But at least in that case he usage of Tot Musica and overwhelming hatred she portrayed towards pirates made sense. I know she was also inspired by the messages from her fans but the massive hatred towards all Pirates even Luffy doesn't work as well anymore without the inciting misunderstanding. Even if you're someone who thinks her bitterness over being left behind was enough justification, you'd have to admit it made so much more sense when she believed even the family she loved so much turned out to be evil savages like those that plagued her fans. There'd be much more weight to her turning on Luffy with his refusal to abandon the pirate status.
And then there's the second problem with Uta Uchiha, the Wake-Shrooms. Around the two-thirds point of the film, Sanji reveals that along with staying up & killing the eater, there exists a third side-effect from the Wake-Shroom, losing emotional control & turning aggressive. This is such a cheap way for the narrative to be able to handwave the actions of Uta into a more sympathetic light. She didn't do this because of her own beliefs or agency, she did this because of the drug altering her brain chemistry into an irrational state. It's annoying that they'd put this narrative cheap in the movie, it's even more annoying that they waited so long before revealing it. Like, why wouldn't Blueno or Koby mention this during their initial spiel, considering Uta's emotional state is definitely something important to consider due to the severity of the situation. Are we to believe that Cipher-Pol didn't know about this? The fact that it should've naturally been brought up earlier, but it saved for right before Uta unleashes Tot Musica is a blatant attempt at trying to lessen her own accountability for releasing the Demon King due to her chemically altered brain. One of the most frustrating, manipulative writing tricks I've seen in a One Piece movie.
Even though it was adoptive, you can tell that Shanks & Uta are truly father & daughter considering both of them show a complete lack of care for the personal agency/freedom of those they care about. Uta didn't care that any of the audience's desire to return home and like tend to sheep like that one kid, and Shanks didn't care that Uta explicitly wanted to continue traveling forward as the Red Hair Pirates' musician. It's not even like she hesitated, her rejection was instant. Shanks position is a bit more understandable as direct parental authority over her but seriously, why the fuck did he think the best thing for Uta was abandoning her on a graveyard island whilst also convincing her that the family she thought loved them didn't? Sure, isolate a kid from all of society and make sure she thinks that nobody really loved her at first?
And to be clear, I don't mind Shanks making a bad choice as a parent (& this 100% was), but I do take issue with the fact the movie doesn't actually criticize him for it. Uta's loneliness aside, the movie largely portrays Shanks' decision as a righteous one, it doesn't really paint him in the wrong for him. Both Shanks & Uta in the movie make life-changing decisions for others in the movie, under the belief it's for the best/what they really want, while not really listening to what they want when confronted with it. "I don't want to stay behind, I want to continuing being a pirate with you" so Shanks removes her agency and forces her on the singer path. "I don't want to live in a perpetual concert, I want to go back home and tend to sheep", so Uta removes their agency and makes them like toys instead. There's a direct parallel painted her that the movie never does anything with.

I really don't agree with the vast majority of your criticisms, but I'll discuss only one part of them here in the interest of saving time.

Objectively, Uta grew up feeling abandoned by Shanks. You can't easily erase the pain and suffering of such a traumatic experience, especially at such a young age. That's arguably quite realistic. 

Furthermore, it is clearly incorrect to say that Uta knew everything. No, she saw a recording showing Shanks and the pirates attacking Tot Musica, while someone blames her for the destruction. That's all, it's not a full explanation or anything. That...doesn't really make things any easier for Uta. 

Keep in mind this only happened after she had already become famous. On the contrary, she has spent more than a year gaining fans through their shared hatred and victimization at the hands of pirates, and now...she realizes that at least part of this shared experience was based on a lie. What could she do? Revealing the truth would most likely make people hate her and Uta was already embarking on a plan that, from her perspective, would save the population from any further violence. Knowing that you can't reveal the truth to anyone adds to her anxiety, rather than calming her. It's not a wise decision, but Uta is not supposed to be a highly experienced and mature individual. Quite the opposite.

As someone who lives in the year 2023...it's a fact of life that many people in our current society will resort to various types of drugs or even just alcohol for many reasons, both of which can have a significant effect on people's behavior and emotions. Anime may exaggerate this a little, but the idea itself is also nothing remotely absurd nor impossible. Besides, I think there's plenty of foreshadowing throughout the movie, before we get the exposition scenes. Therefore, it wasn't an element they threw in at the last minute. It's only "manipulative" if you believe anime isn't allowed to include such things in the first place, even if they exist in our reality (and many real people are either dead or in jail for actions they committed under the influence).

I would say the parallel you've mentioned does exist, among others, but it's up to the viewer to make such judgments of morality and ethics. I didn't need the movie to jump out and explicitly spell it out for me, to be honest. Especially since it's hard to give Shanks the spotlight as a character before the manga gives him a lot more attention, so the film needed to be careful about how much he was allowed to say or do. Despite that...there's various connections we can identify and draw, but they are more implicit than anything else. Further, I would say the movie does sympathize with his intentions being initially good, but I didn't feel his action in and of itself was necessarily being justified at all. Parents can make mistakes that hurt their children all the time, even if they thought those actions were for their own good, and you don't always need someone to say "I admit that was wrong" for the underlying message to be conveyed. Hell, you could argue that Shanks coming back to save her and exposing himself, in practice, already says a lot.
MadonisApr 6, 2023 10:29 AM
Apr 11, 2023 10:24 AM
Oct 2020
Yeah he really got that Ben Shapiro vibe on him.
Apr 13, 2023 1:41 AM

Feb 2021
This movie is really amazing! But did U.T.A die? Hmm...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 13, 2023 1:41 PM
Jun 2021
Milking, i doesn't like that. Shit story and fan service.
Apr 26, 2023 1:57 PM

May 2020
this was the first one piece film I've watched
it was pretty good to see Shanks and his crew in action
pretty sad that Uta died tho

May 4, 2023 5:08 PM
Dec 2015
good show and movie
May 6, 2023 5:24 PM
Sep 2017
my childhood anime so far the best
May 16, 2023 7:30 PM
Sep 2018
Terrible, nothing makes sense. Main antagonist is dumb, the plot is dumb. Worst OP movie
May 17, 2023 10:18 PM
Dec 2022
I cried and I want more Uta with Luffy moments now
May 29, 2023 12:41 PM

Aug 2018
Watching this film months after it came out might've been best idea I could've done, since I had no more hype to care for, as for the movie itself, well it felt like they really wanted to do something different here or maybe Oda himself wanted, I'm not sure. The film itself felt like those Disney animated musicals, but its not like them to be honest.

One of the main strenghts about this film is the whole hype moments we got to see and of course all the typical fan service characters like the admirals, Law, strawhats, etc.

-Seeing Shanks and his crew fight was unreal, truly one of the high of the highs when it comes to delivering hype, its a little bit shame animation quality was not consistent overall
-Sunny in human body was another unbelievable thing, really wish we get to see this beauty again one day
-Uta as a character was pretty nice, althought its pretty obvious why she would not work in the canon of One Piece
-The songs were also cool and great, not all but those that were delivered 

Now speaking about bad things for this movie, there are a few. The pacing was cranky and bizzare at times, and because of that the directing felt out of touch. Some decisions in the animation department along with lazy CGI for pretty high budget movie like this really made me confused, cmon Toei, even one piece anime series had better animation at current times than this.

With all that being said, I think this is definitely not the worst one piece movie, but besides whole Shanks hype it does not have to offer a  very consistent plot or animation 

7.3/10

Jun 1, 2023 8:55 AM
Aug 2011
best visual but nah the only good point about it is we see shank doin something
Jun 7, 2023 5:49 PM

Apr 2023
Honestly, i was only really here for Ado and only for Ado everything else was just boring to me, the visuals were just about the only thing i liked about it.

Jun 9, 2023 11:51 PM
Jan 2023
the songs are epic
Jun 16, 2023 11:46 AM
Mar 2010
One of the better one piece movies. 6.5/10
Jun 18, 2023 10:47 PM
Sep 2015
Just finished the movie and holy shit Uta is one fucked up person. How fucked you gotta be to do massive cult suicide party
Jun 27, 2023 4:51 PM

Mar 2021
I finally saw the content on the video feed. There were more singing parts than I expected, and I felt like I was watching a musical movie rather than a One Piece movie.

I was convinced after seeing the content that there were pros and cons when the movie was released in Japan. I have not seen any other One Piece movies yet, so I will watch some of them in the summer.

Jun 28, 2023 3:01 PM
Aug 2019
TOOOOOOOTT MUSICAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Jul 24, 2023 1:46 PM
Jun 2021
it was truly amazing
Aug 26, 2023 7:30 AM
Jun 2023
i liked the story and overall the music is great
Sep 12, 2023 8:51 PM
Jan 2019
I do not like Idol Animes, i tough maybe merged with one peace it would be good, it was not, all the musical number combined with the 3D an choreography really took me out of the movie
Sep 19, 2023 5:14 PM
Apr 2022
Good music and amazing fighting scenes from Zoro and Sanji. The scenes near at the end from Luffy and Shanks were visually stunning. I loved the animation wholly!
Oct 19, 2023 10:14 AM

Nov 2010
I like Uta's outfit. They ensured that the sleeveless part was the arm she would raise so often to cater to the armpit lovers! Hehe!
That was a good concert, especially when Uta used Tot Musica. Angry Uta is hot, and I like the tunes she used then.
I was overthinking and thought Gordon was the true mastermind behind Uta's craziness.

I like Uta's idea of a new world. Everyone is equal, and they are just having fun. Only the ignorant and rich can say it is bad. In the real world, most of us are doomed to work 9-12 hours daily, trying to survive paycheck to paycheck while making the top 10% rich. They are the only ones enjoying life and say it's worth living. What a joke! Most of us will be treated like zombies. We are better off dying in real life and enjoying a blissful one in heaven.

The action was alright. I was expecting more for such an all-star cast. That final attack with Shanks and Luffy looked badass, though. We also got a glimpse of his new form. I wish they were up against a badass opponent.

I like that Uta died in the end since I like tragic stories. However, I don't like how easily they moved on after her death. She was supposed to be super close with Luffy and Shanks. I wish there were more emotional scenes of them mourning Uta.

This movie would've been better if it was 30 minutes shorter.
The ED was good. I like bittersweet songs.
Oct 31, 2023 5:52 PM

Sep 2013
I've been watching One Piece for 20 years now but this, this isn't One Piece, the license is only used as a pretext for making a story about a character played by a real singer, the interactions between the characters didn't feel legit at all, the story made no sense, the songs were okay but got tiring really fast, they frankly ruined Shanks and his crew's legendary status and yes its not canon but still i can't believe Oda greenlit this, even One Piece World Seeker had a better story that was more coherent and it was a 95% fan service game

So yeah never would have thought i would rate badly something One Piece related but its a solid 4 (yeah fuck that 3.5 for spoiling the Gear 5 1 year before the anime series showed it,for no reason nonetheless)
Deep dark fantasies
Nov 13, 2023 8:58 AM

Jan 2013
Some amazing songs and great visuals.
It probably could've been a bit shorter though.
Story isn't something we haven't seen before, escaping reality because of the cruelty in the world but it was still good.
Sad to see Uta die though :/

The movie was fantastic though, it was great seeing all the factions work together for one goal.
Especially seeing the Luffy / Shanks final scene was beautiful.
I'm glad I saw the movie at this moment or otherwise I'd have unknowingly spoiled Gear 5 for myself x)

Nov 21, 2023 3:55 PM
Nov 2023
A glorified music video for Ado, but its a good music video at least.
Nov 29, 2023 9:59 PM
Dec 2016
Lots to be said but I'll just say what most interest or concerns me. Like many One Piece movies, we don't get to see the fate of the antagonist, antihero, contagonist, deuteragonist, or (prot)agonist in the end.

Are they dropped off on an island, dead, incarcerated, stranded alive somewhere, et al? If it isn't obvious, these movies leave sort of a minor cliffhanger, a guess of or unresolved ending. Nevertheless, it was unique, cute, & entertaining even if it sort of felt like a semi-musical.🎶🎧 The music was good; it didn't disappoint!

Heck, my favorite top 2 pieces🎼 in order are even Backlight / 逆光 & Tot Musica🎵 especially the runic Fuþark part - ᚷᚨᚺ ᛉᚨᚾ ᛏᚨᚲ ᚷᚨᚺ ᛉᚨᚾ ᛏᚨᛏ ᛏᚨᛏ ᛒᚱᚨ. Both asian & unreleased engiish versions (Toei's fault related to licensing) are amazing.

Thus, I gave it an...
Overall: 9
⭐5️⃣

Hey, it isn't the Winner of the Anime of the Year (Movie) at the 2023 Tokyo Anime Award Festival (TAAF) for nothing. 😊
kensherman902Nov 29, 2023 11:27 PM
Dec 25, 2023 6:21 AM

Jul 2013
I like Stampede more and the reason why I brought it up is because these two suddenly showed up on Netflix and I probably would have not watched them had they not. This one felt like an ad for some artist's album or something lol though the songs are honestly not bad and the visuals are good too. But really? Uta's plan is basically a bootleg of Madara's infinite tsukuyomi lmao!

Jan 12, 3:12 AM

Apr 2014
great movie but i wouldnt say its my fave

but still really good

also to say Uta is an instant fave of mines after watching this
"one step at a time"
Jan 18, 7:48 PM
Dec 2023
Main Antagonist Hot AF
Jan 21, 3:41 PM

May 2017
WAY too much animation ! I couldnt follow it , i couldnt understand what hapening , each characters just appear at the screen , use 1 attack then leave it , and around 1/4 of the movie that is 3D animations of songs , also , im watching the bluray yet its censored -_-
Story was fine , a bit childish but its nice to learn more about characters

I wasnt expecting the animation of any anime to actualy be a bad thing

4/10 , im not used to score an anime that badly , its usualy around 7 and almost never go under 5 since under it mean i disliked it more than i liked it
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» So where is Kyuubey???

Hitagi__Furude - Mar 11, 2023

6 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 6:22 AM

» Is this the worst one piece movie? ( 1 2 )

EndlessMaria - Mar 10, 2023

68 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 22, 3:52 PM

Poll: » Best Film Red Song (Since the movie is now out on streaming services)

Cestlavie_ - Mar 7, 2023

18 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:45 PM

» One Piece FILM RED is Confirmed to be 4th Highest-Grossing Anime Film Worldwide!

Ridzaxster - Feb 17, 2023

8 by yonkoakagami4 »»
Mar 12, 2023 6:59 PM

» Question about emperor of the seas (SPOILERS!!)

Ania_BH - Mar 9, 2023

7 by R77Prodigy »»
Mar 11, 2023 12:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.