Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Dec 6, 2020 1:09 PM
Nov 2016
I grew accustomed with MAPPA CGI's style, i think this series has slightly identical CG implementation with Dorohedoro which is one of
big hit series
I think most of fans can sleep sound since SNK is in right place
Dec 6, 2020 1:11 PM
May 2020
This is actually a good way to start, i can't even blink and keep staring my screen. I personally wasn't into AoT but when it comes to thrilling stuff it made me excited, and it looks like AoT getting better each season.
Dec 6, 2020 1:12 PM
Nov 2016
THORSAL said:
The CG really feels like dorohedoro tho
I agree with you pal
Dec 6, 2020 1:14 PM

Aug 2020
And now the end of the franchise begins, there's so much action and it's only the first episode!! The war is over and marley is victorious. i kinda think that the cgi for the titans are kinda weird. AND JEAN AT THE END OMG!!!
pockyharemDec 6, 2020 1:19 PM
Dec 6, 2020 1:14 PM

Oct 2007
give me fully hand drawn titans back from S1 and S2.. well a man can dream I guess..

it's still fine as it is I guess, but what I would rather have them doing is to give us more color and contrast, this episode looked like a bland Marvel Avengers movie, if you know what I mean
Dec 6, 2020 1:16 PM
Jul 2019
it is good
but CGI
I don't think it will work In the next episodes
Dec 6, 2020 1:16 PM

Mar 2016
And it begins. The use of eldians as titan bombs was pretty insane to see. Will say it is a bit difficult to get used to Mappa's animation style. Oh and nice to see Jean in the end.
Dec 6, 2020 1:18 PM

Dec 2020
I wasnt expecting anything mindblowing, but still a little disappointed.

The word I would use to describe the episode would be "Dry".

Opening and ending were underwhelming. The OST for the fighting scenes felt repetitive and underwhelming too. Not memorable. It lacked "identity".

The CG was good on a few scenes, but on most scenes it looked... ugly?

Specially when Reiner transforms into a titan when falling. His extremities moved
like a noodle. The common titans were handrawn and looked better.

Gabi throwing the bomb to the train was the best animated part imo, and it was all 2D.

Overall underwhelming and "dry" episode.
Dec 6, 2020 1:19 PM

Feb 2017
My first impressions of this new AoT are good overall, really enjoyed the episode. Liked how it flowed. Shame titans aren't 2D anymore but these CG ones are fine so far I guess, it does look jarring at times though. Not fan of the new aesthetics (designs, colors, etc.) compared to Wit's, looks kinda boring to me now. Really miss the visual identity Wit gave to this show. But it doesn't bother me much. Hopefully they manage to keep at at least this level of quality throughout the season considering production is very tight. As for the OP and ED, not really fan of them. Especially not of the former.

Stuff that's coming is great and I hope they manage to deliver!
Dec 6, 2020 1:22 PM

Nov 2019
CGI isn't the worst, definitely not studio orange level, but i like what im seeing
Dec 6, 2020 1:23 PM
Oct 2015
When I first watched in the livestream my reaction towards the animation was very lukewarm.

Now its more positive, I was actually surprised how easy it was to adapt to the CGI, only Zeke makes the whole thing jarring to me, overall this quality is slightly below than S3P2 however I dont remember how that looked when it aired, since I have seen it mostly with the BD fixes.

It is like Dorohedoro and I was dreading that, but I guess I am not hard to please.

But yeah, the quality although lesser is nowhere near a deal breaker, as long they can keep this level, which it we will have to wait a month to see....

What I absolutely loved was both OP and ED and the adaptation itself its 10/10 for the content covered.

May 2015
Symofoner said:
I agree about the CGI, it really looks way better than previous season and yeah it's better than i expected.
But for me the music is off, unlike the previous season everytime they put the music in like "Ist das der Zerstörer... " it give me chill no matter how many time i watched it. But this OST is way off, even the first time i see the trailer i didnt feel anything. I miss Sawano's music and his decision to where to put the music.
I can only imagine how wit will animated this episode if only they continue this series.

I think it's more of a subjective take on the matter. Personally, it won't make much of a difference if this was done by Wit and Araki once more if they will still have Sawano and Yamamoto on board. In the end, the sound director is the one who makes the decisions for such, and Production IG (WIT's parent studio) is still on board in the committee for this one so we can pretty much say that it'll just be the same even if Wit was given a chance to di so.

The new scores are welcome, but I'd agree that it's not as impacting as Sawano's. However, it's too early to decide on whether or not Yamamoto's gonna mess up the whole auditory experience of the series. I think he's doing a fine job together with Sawano. I mean, this isn't the first time that they worked on something together. Crisis has one of the best scores in a J-drama if you haven't checked that one out. That one's more on Yamamoto's style than Sawano.
ZnraDec 6, 2020 1:32 PM

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive

Jun 2014
What a return this series made, with an episode filled with action. This show seems like it should be just fine in MAPPA's hands, and I'm looking forward to seeing how well-made the rest of the season is.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 6, 2020 1:24 PM

Sep 2014
bombastic start, CGI is pretty good but still its just CGI

OP/ED suck

Reign of titans will soon be over with more advanced weapon technology on the mainland

Jean at the end?!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 6, 2020 1:26 PM

May 2020
Although the OP isn't as good as its predecessors, I feel like it is the most fitting one, really reminiscing WW2 and Cold War propagandas, captured the vibe perfectly with the children vocals. And like any other anime opening in existence, it will grow on us as time passes and we watch it more and more

I, much like everyone else, prefer the classic hand-drawn titans from WIT, BUT the CGI of MAPPA was amazing, you can tell they are going all-out with cutting edge CGI animation, almost as good as studio Orange's Houseki no Kuni and Beastars

Also, at the end of the episode,

Skibbidy skib skib skaa
say "NO" to fanservice
Dec 6, 2020 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
Rewatched with subs, the only CG that truly bothered me WIT colossal style was Armored Titan waving at Zeke, and a few shots here and there from the Beast Titan. Artstyle is really close to manga but the color palette is different from WIT and the way the visuals are as well so some people wont like it. To those I say stay for the story at least.

On rewatch tho, the main thing that bothered me was the OST. Maybe a PV effect since they used the same theme and looped it. But like 1 or 2 loops of it on different beats werent too clean. Noticed that. Hope it improves.

For the story good way to explain what happened outside of Paradis after Paradis reached the sea and the timeskip. 4/5
Dec 6, 2020 1:27 PM

Dec 2015
Finally I could watch the episode, those hours avoiding the internet were tough. Anyway, surprsingly, the character design were pretty solid and I have no complaints in this aspect. Direction is a bit inferior to Araki, but it's still on high level. Main theme from Kohta is superb, but I've noticed some mediocre orchestration in the first half, so I'm a bit scared for what's to come. What I wasn't worried ended up being the reason I became a little let down by the episode - CGI. There's no problem in using it in some specific scenes, but they used it in all scenes with rational Titans. And the style they used (very Dorohedoro style) is just really inferior from what we had. I'm really scared of Titan fights now. Because of it (and a little bit because of the downgrade in the direction aspect), I'm downgrading 1 point and giving a 9/10, but if the story manages to surpass S3P2, I might ignore those issues.
Dec 6, 2020 1:28 PM

Jul 2017
Quick thoughts on first episode:

Great music by Sawano and Kohta Yamamoto as usual, good ending song, solid opening song despite questionable visuals, mediocre visuals in general as a whole although I would much rather look at this than the art in the manga, slow first episode story wise with some clues and hints dropped already for the long run. I liked the Uprising arc and the Return to Shiganshiga arc but the Marley arc and everything after felt like a drop off for me so I feel a bit less invested in this season and really the end of Attack on Titan compared to how I did from Season 2 till Season 3 part 2.
Jan 2019
Im not sure about the cgi titans, 2D is still better for me, hopefully it grows on me. I just hope that the titan fights are 2D, it just looks like im playing a videogame. I'm still not a fan of the blurred backgrounds, but its whatever I guess, it doesnt look bad either. Overall I enjoyed it, they did a good job explaining things and what was happening, its better than what people were saying it would be
Sep 2012
loved it :D the hype is real
Dec 6, 2020 1:31 PM
Feb 2019
HOLY SHIT
Alright, the animation was great. I personally didn't see any issues with the titans being CGI. And honestly... everything was great. Absolutely loved that episode. The opening and ending, much like all AOT op/eds, were amazingly fitting. Looking forward for the next episode!
Dec 6, 2020 1:32 PM
Jan 2018
Great episode. Ofcourse there is substantial room for improvement. Blur utilization is absurd even if its a stylistic choice. Still frames are lacking the god tier cinematographic feel the previous seasons had. Titans are CG regardless of the quality. Colors are too bland even for a warzone but I just bump up the saturation in my pot Player and its feasible for me. Background art is the same frame literally everywhere which is pretty average to begin with. There are issues but hey, MAPPA did there best. Studio changes have far worse history. I think we should be grateful because what we got is an overall good quality product considering the standards. Not to mention the schedule issues and completely different staff. Yes this is not the best Attack on Titan from a visual perspective but we should be glad as a fandom that we got this and not SDS 3 or OPM 2.
Bhaskar_SinghDec 6, 2020 1:37 PM
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Dec 6, 2020 1:33 PM

Jul 2017
damn these time skips are getting out of hand lul, now we're in WW1 style guns and trenches. Old Reiner looks like bootleg Askeladd xd

CG isn't that bad tbh, mainly cause the titans don't end up being the biggest focus in those action scenes, definitely quite noticeable though
Dec 6, 2020 1:33 PM
Jul 2019
That was so tense is felt like it was the last episode XD
Dec 6, 2020 1:34 PM

Mar 2016
nice start for the season!

beautiful ending theme too <3

Dec 6, 2020 1:35 PM

Dec 2019
Pretty good start, a lot of stuff happened in this episode and I like that. The CGI wasn't the greatest but it wasn't the worst neither, the 2d animation was also good I hope they keep it up. HYPE!
Dec 6, 2020 1:37 PM
May 2020
i love it!

i didnt expect mappa to do such a good job i am soooooo happy!! i cant wait for ep 2

Aug 2013
Wow, I'm was speechless while watching this. I have mixed feelings about the OP but the OST was perfect in this episode. The ED fit perfectly for this season.

When Zeke said "what!?" after realising that naval shells were going towards him was amusing.

Can't wait till next week to watch the next episode.

Jun 2020
It's back!, I'm screaming! The wait is finally done holy shit the op was really colorful luckily MAPPA didn't put any spoiler on the op, the voice acting on Gabi and Falco are so accurate it's exactly what I imagine it to be, the Titans had a good cgi, finally I can rest easy after.

This is gonna be amazing.
Dec 6, 2020 1:38 PM

May 2020
The hype is finally real!

I don't care about the CGI topic, for me is fine. It was a good start for the series and i think we will see more good things from the rest episodes.

Only the OP/Endings for me are very poor. And very ''colorful''.
pouckisDec 6, 2020 1:42 PM
“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Dec 6, 2020 1:40 PM

Sep 2020
Now that’s how you begin the first episode of the final season, CGI wasn’t too bad, but not ideal, other than that more than solid episode.....

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 6, 2020 1:42 PM
Jan 2018
I went into an absolute trance by the ending. Such power
Dec 6, 2020 1:44 PM

Apr 2019
AMAZING FIRST EPISODE! MARELY ARC LETS GO!!!!

Jul 2018
Episode was pretty solid. A little worried about the CGI. In most cases it looked pretty good, but it was way to overused. The opening was also the worst one we've had in my opinion.

Jan 2012
it's raining men hallelujah was the first thing that came to mind

10/10

wasn't hyped before, but now I am
Dec 6, 2020 1:45 PM
Sep 2020
The animation was clean and the episode got me really pumped, the CG was great imo and so was the opening. The ending was really depressing and I'm not surprised its already rated a 9 on mal. It honestly deserves it.
Dec 6, 2020 1:46 PM
Sep 2020
The animation was clean and the episode got me really pumped, the CG was great imo and so was the opening. The ending was really depressing and I'm not surprised its already rated a 9 on mal. It honestly deserves it.
Dec 6, 2020 1:47 PM
Nov 2014
That's what I call a start - soundtrack towards the end is pure epicness ;)
Nov 2014
That's what I call a start - soundtrack towards the end is pure epicness ;)

Jul 2020
WWI Thematic > Previous thematic. Give me 16 episodes like this and we will have a 10.

Also MAPPA did a great work here. No idea why so many people criticize it
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest ComebackšŸ¦Šā›©ļø and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Dec 6, 2020 1:50 PM
Jun 2020
Personally I fucking love the opening, I've been listening to it for the last 3 hours.
Coming from a Manga reader, this episode doesn't compare to later episodes (in a good way)
Dec 6, 2020 1:51 PM

Jul 2020
WWI Thematic > Previous thematic. Give me 16 episodes like this and we will have a 10.

Also MAPPA did a great work here. No idea why so many people criticize it
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest ComebackšŸ¦Šā›©ļø and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Dec 6, 2020 1:53 PM

Oct 2018
I get that people are complaining about the cgi. Everyone is expecting it to be 'Colossal Titan levels' of bad but this isn't the case here. Yea, the movements are somewhat janky but it certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Dec 6, 2020 1:53 PM

Aug 2016
Shinsei Kamattechan opening is so good, definitely one of my favs of the series, I'm so glad they got called in to do it.

And visually I don't think we should be complaining that much, anything that doesn't look like Seven Deadly Sins Season 4 and the final few seasons of Food Wars is good in my eyes.
Dec 6, 2020 1:57 PM

Sep 2013
are all titan shifters going to be cgi animated for the whole season?
sic mundus
Dec 6, 2020 1:58 PM

Apr 2020
I'm a bit disappointed, OP was lacking visuals, CG Titans were better than expected but I'm still not a fan of it. Gabi is a drama queen now.

It felt really slow-paced. Are 16 episodes in total actually correct?

I really hope the animation improves when MAPPA are done with Jujutsu Kaisen. I already know the story is going to be amazing, but I want the animation to match. I liked Art at least. The landscape was really beautiful too.
--AbiSa--
Dec 6, 2020 1:59 PM
Feb 2016
IDC what others think, I actually enjoyed this fight more so than the impact less s3 titan battles. I prefer fluid animation and thank god for Mappa bringing that. Also holy shit, the character designs were crazy af

Feb 2018
Finally, the wait is over. I think most of people noticed CGI use and that was the only thing that was bothering me at the beginning but after the episode I need to say it's quite decent. I miss the old style but as much as I'm in love with this series I believe I will get used to it.

Can't wait for the next week!

Jun 2017
I am not a fan of the new CG titans but anyway, this part was way better animated compared to manga form (in the manga it felt like a freaking slog). I also still hate these new characters (especially Gabi) so I can't wait until we get a switch to the old cast.
Dec 6, 2020 2:00 PM
Aug 2020
One episode in and I can already tell that this will be a massive dumpster fire. Can't wait to see how much worse it gets.
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 31, 2021

818 by SaimonIdk »»
Yesterday, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

692 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:11 AM

» The one thing I dont understand now is, why WIT censored so much the violence?

MAQS - Dec 20, 2020

26 by SoughtLi »»
Apr 28, 7:26 PM

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.