Forum Settings
Forums

Do you identify yourself as a casual or an elitist?

New
Casual VS Elitist
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Mar 18, 2015 9:26 PM

Jan 2013
chat77 said:
DoctorCaim said:

There's casual, enthusiast, and elitist

Casuals watch anime purely for enjoyment and treat anime like a genre instead of a medium because they're not really adept with the medium of anime itself.

Elitists have a high understanding anime, watch anime not just for enjoyment but for its artistic merit, and are fully adept in knowledge towards anime. However, they think on a hivemind level and look down on others of different tastes, especially casuals.

Enthusiasts are more or less casuals with a wider array of interests in the medium or basically "elitists" without the pretense and sense of self-importance. They understand that entertainment in general is subjective and won't ride your nuts to watch some nuance shit like Kemonozume or Perfect Blue or something.

I sort of agree but also disagree at the same point.Enthusiasts are more concerned with the enjoyment that they get,I believe.Elitists more often than not don't stop before they have critically analysed every minute detail,despite enjoying the particular show.
I didn't get to finish editing it yet :(

Shitposta said:

Enthusiasts are more or less casuals with a wider array of interests in the medium or basically "elitists" without the pretense and sense of self-importance.
Like this

Mar 2008
7starkiller99 said:
Takuan, you do understand that the previous argument you just gave is a fallacy :/

Tu quoque.
I don't think we need to strictly adhere to the logic of formal debate here though. The relative standards on the issue is relevant, because there's obviously a cultural and value dissonance to the whole matter - why does Japan continue to struggle with the issue? Why does the world decry it so one-sidedly in comparison? It's certainly relevant to note that these events have remained in mainstream thought where other similar atrocities are forgotten or ignored.

Jun 2014
Shitposta said:
Takuan_Soho said:

No disagreement, however my association with Japan is a tad stronger. I lived there for several years, my wife is from there, I visit there every year, and not to brag too much, but I have found that short of a PhD in Japanese history, my level of knowledge is superior to most Japanese. People have and perhaps should disagree with my opinions, but I have never been accused of being ignorant of them. I paint in broad strokes mainly because that is the level most people operate at (which is not an insult, broad is generally good enough unless you have a particular interest in something), but if you want to get in the weeds, then I am the guy for you. Mention the topic, and lets go weeding!

Oh look at you. Bragging about your achievements and feeling that MAL is a great place for you to flaunt yourself even if it means upsetting them with little to no remorse for both "casual" anime fans and people who "appreciate Japan" but also understand that Japanese history has far too many egregious things such as what you decided to take nearly a whole page on.

People like you sicken me. I don't get angry on MAL much, but you make me sick.

Nico, you've been getting upset recently o.O!
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Mar 18, 2015 9:27 PM

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:
7starkiller99 said:

Takuan, you do understand that the previous argument you just gave is a fallacy :/

Tu quoque.
You've committed a fallacy as well.

AD HOC CESIUM SHIZZLE OBLIVION

Lol wha, sir that's quite an interesting point you have there. xD
7starkiller99Mar 18, 2015 9:31 PM
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Mar 18, 2015 9:30 PM
Feb 2014
7starkiller99 said:
Shitposta said:

Oh look at you. Bragging about your achievements and feeling that MAL is a great place for you to flaunt yourself even if it means upsetting them with little to no remorse for both "casual" anime fans and people who "appreciate Japan" but also understand that Japanese history has far too many egregious things such as what you decided to take nearly a whole page on.

Nico, you've been getting upset recently o.O!

I don't take anyone who tries to lead me on to something I don't want to talk about and suddenly brags about his accomplishments (which I even doubt they're real) like he's the most accomplished individual out there kindly. They're opportunists. You think you'd like to be exploited like this? Because I know I don't. And I won't take shit from phony scholars like Mr. Soho.
Mar 18, 2015 9:32 PM

Jan 2013
Speaking of which, what's the newest elitist anime to ponder over now that LOGH has been flipped and fried like a 5 star frog in Paris?
Mar 18, 2015 9:32 PM
Oct 2012
Shitposta said:
Wow. Nice going, Takuan...

Really making this conversation unappealing for me to see in particular. I'll give you an added bonus. I've actually seen posts from weeaboos actually saying dropping the atomic bomb was wrong. Bottom line is, that was the right move to make Japan change as a nation for the complete better. Because of this, I have no sympathy for weeaboos, although that's just one reason why they truly piss me off to no avail and it makes me realize that being KA is far better than what weeaboos dream they'll ever be.

But let's not talk about comfort women, please. It really hits close to home since my great great aunt was.

Ah, though I may seem a Japanese homer, I will always support Truman's decision to drop both atomic bombs, even though the first nearly killed my future father in law. While I believe I understand WHY Japan did what it did, this doesn't mean I don't understand that there was something pretty sick in Japanese culture that needed to be cut out. However, despite my feelings either way, I do insist on being historically accurate to the greatest extent possible.

This returns us to the elitist argument. While being impartial is perhaps impossible (just as being always aesthetically correct is impossible), for me being "right" or "wrong" is not nearly as important as being able to at last argue one's position.
Mar 18, 2015 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:
Speaking of which, what's the newest elitist anime to ponder over now that LOGH has been cooked and fried like a 5 star frog in Paris?

Bakemonogatari for its unique art style.

Mar 18, 2015 9:34 PM

Feb 2015
DoctorCaim said:
Speaking of which, what's the newest elitist anime to ponder over now that LOGH has been flipped and fried like a 5 star frog in Paris?

Akame ga Kill anyone?

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:

Yuru Yuri S3?

:(

Jan 2013
7starkiller99 said:
Bakemonogatari for its unique art style.
That is so 2010 though
chat77 said:
Akame ga Kill anyone?
No
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
DoctorCaim said:

Yuru Yuri S3?

plz

Jun 2014
chat77 said:
DoctorCaim said:

Akame ga Kill anyone?

Nope, it didn't stay with the manga so the elitists already shut it down. Just ask Darklight to explain everything wrong with it.

Mar 18, 2015 9:36 PM
Oct 2012
Shitposta said:

Bragging? Hardly, merely stating a truth. Though before "getting into it with you", I think my last post will be more accepting to your thinking. If you still want to argue with me afterwords, lets trot out the facts and slug it out like humans, rather than sheep.

Oct 2012
DoctorCaim said:
Ping Pong.

Jun 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Shitposta said:

Bragging? Hardly, merely stating a truth. Though before "getting into it with you", I think my last post will be more accepting to your thinking. If you still want to argue with me afterwords, lets trot out the facts and slug it out like humans, rather than sheep.

Sheep butt heads to fight each other!

Mar 18, 2015 9:40 PM

Jun 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
Shitposta said:
Really making this conversation unappealing for me to see in particular. I'll give you an added bonus. I've actually seen posts from weeaboos actually saying dropping the atomic bomb was wrong. Bottom line is, that was the right move to make Japan change as a nation for the complete better.

It's unfortunate that weaboos have ruined this argument for you, because I think, while the dropping of the bombs was obviously a controversial issue that is still hotly debated today, there are actually a plethora of relevant historical details that made the bombings look completely unnecessary both from a political/military standpoint as well as a moral one.

I am by no means saying that dropping the bombs was wrong (though from what I've read there definitely seem to be various signs pointing to how they might not have been completely warranted), but the argument is certainly shared by more than just fanatically historically ignorant weaboos.

I'm sure that lots of people would argue against using an atomic bomb. Other types of bombs would've worked just as well, some argue.

Mar 18, 2015 9:40 PM

Jun 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Yuru Yuri S3?

The dream.

See, everyone will disagree becuz of elitist eyes but Yuru Yuri > LOGH cause of Toshino.
Mar 18, 2015 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
Feaor said:
DoctorCaim said:
Ping Pong.

Nah
It has to be boring like LOGH to be elitist kek
Mar 18, 2015 9:41 PM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Shitposta said:
Wow. Nice going, Takuan...

Really making this conversation unappealing for me to see in particular. I'll give you an added bonus. I've actually seen posts from weeaboos actually saying dropping the atomic bomb was wrong. Bottom line is, that was the right move to make Japan change as a nation for the complete better. Because of this, I have no sympathy for weeaboos, although that's just one reason why they truly piss me off to no avail and it makes me realize that being KA is far better than what weeaboos dream they'll ever be.

But let's not talk about comfort women, please. It really hits close to home since my great great aunt was.

Ah, though I may seem a Japanese homer, I will always support Truman's decision to drop both atomic bombs, even though the first nearly killed my future father in law. While I believe I understand WHY Japan did what it did, this doesn't mean I don't understand that there was something pretty sick in Japanese culture that needed to be cut out. However, despite my feelings either way, I do insist on being historically accurate to the greatest extent possible.

This returns us to the elitist argument. While being impartial is perhaps impossible (just as being always aesthetically correct is impossible), for me being "right" or "wrong" is not nearly as important as being able to at last argue one's position.

You're missing the point. You tried to lure me into a conversation about Japanese history, something that I understandably, as a Korean American cannot really embrace, but it also wasn't the main topic of the thread, and it further lead to some equally upsetting comments about imagining what my great great aunt went through. She was a human being too, I can't tolerate any age old Japanese war policies and that sir, is why, while I'm willing to forgive the Japanese for what they did, since it's age old and who gives a fuck really, it's 2015, bringing it up and having it being conversed in a thread about anime elitists vs anime casuals isn't going to make me happy.

Understand that I have boundaries that can be pushed. Usually I don't get upset on the Internet, but bringing up stuff like this, especially to me, that won't be rubbed the right way by myself unfortunately. I for one, appreciate Japanese culture and while it's not as highly enriched as yourself, I'm all for learning more. I'm also learning the language and while it's not perfect like yours may be, I'm all for learning more. I have several friends who I go to college with who are International Students from Japan, they're probably among the nicest people in my group of college friends. One of my friends offered me to stay at her place if I ever came since I've known her long enough. We don't even talk about anime, we're just really good friends who have known each other long enough it's been like 2-3 years now. Please, don't try to change things on me. I will learn things myself, and perceive things myself.

Sorry if I called you out earlier, I take back everytning I said. It's just that I don't really take kindly to braggarts.
Mar 18, 2015 9:42 PM

Jan 2015
PROUD TO BE AN ELITIST
Mar 18, 2015 9:42 PM

Feb 2015
7starkiller99 said:
chat77 said:

Akame ga Kill anyone?

Nope, it didn't stay with the manga so the elitists already shut it down. Just ask Darklight to explain everything wrong with it.

It's quite difficult to portray sarcasm online....:P
Mar 18, 2015 9:44 PM

Jun 2014
chat77 said:
7starkiller99 said:

Nope, it didn't stay with the manga so the elitists already shut it down. Just ask Darklight to explain everything wrong with it. (/sarcasm)

It's quite difficult to portray sarcasm online....:P

Same right?

Mar 18, 2015 9:44 PM

Jun 2014

How about we let them handle it mr? ;)
Mar 18, 2015 9:45 PM

Jun 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

How about we let them handle it mr? ;)

Let's.

Mar 18, 2015 9:47 PM

Jan 2013
EliteTaste said:
PROUD TO BE AN ELITIST

Elitist spotted. The yang avatar with Reinhard as a profile pic. He also has Texhnolyze in his favorites.

Definitely fits the criteria of what makes an elitist anime:
[*]Boring as balls
[*]Ugly ass artstyle
[*]Politics
[*]Some sci-fi shit
Mar 18, 2015 9:47 PM

Jun 2014
a long time causal

Mar 18, 2015 9:56 PM

Jun 2012
I'm actually one of the four primetime horsemen kings.
Apr 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I'm actually one of the four primetime horsemen kings.

We know
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
DoctorCaim said:
EliteTaste said:
PROUD TO BE AN ELITIST

Elitist spotted. The yang avatar with Reinhard as a profile pic. He also has Texhnolyze in his favorites.

[*]Boring as balls
[*]Ugly ass artstyle
[*]Politics
[*]Some sci-fi shit

I want to disagree with this one's logic, but he has Pyramid Head in his sig, so...this guy is officially THE SHIT... :)
Mar 18, 2015 9:58 PM

Jan 2013
KingYoshi said:
DoctorCaim said:

[*]Boring as balls
[*]Ugly ass artstyle
[*]Politics
[*]Some sci-fi shit

I want to disagree with this one's logic, but he has Pyramid Head in his sig, so...this guy is officially THE SHIT... :)
Pyramid Head be a manifestation of your +1 bruh
Mar 18, 2015 9:58 PM
Oct 2012
[quote=DoctorCaim]I'm referring mainly to the shit they did to China. The Rape of Nanking for example, is barely mentioned in history books in Japan[/'quote]

This is simply not true, the vast majority of Japanese history books do mention it. I think this article is a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

http://nation.time.com/2012/12/11/why-japan-is-still-not-sorry-enough/

The simple, and sad, truth is that the truth behind Nanjing cannot be known because no on really WANTS to know the truth. The Japanese don't, the Chinese certainly don't, the West could care less (outside of it allowing them to ignore their own crimes). On Nanjing as an isolated occurrence, I withhold judgement because I have a feeling the truth is that the Nationalist mercenaries started the assault when the leadership fled, and the Japanese should be faulted for participating in it after the fact. For me, I think the clearer sign of Japanese guilt comes with the biological warfare they used in northern China (though, even there, there is that unfortunate incident with Joseph Needham that clouds the issue, the Chinese government invented a US biological attack on China for propaganda reasons, and I challenge anyone to argue that if they were willing to lie once, they would be willing to lie twice is not a valid argument).

This should not be taken as any absolution for Japan. I completely believe that Japan could have done both, I am merely stating that the facts are more complicated and this fact should be recognized as a fact.

DoctorCaim said:
unless you go barebones deep into the subject. And payments don't mean shit really. Financial reparations may seem like a reasonable apology on a piece of paper but it will never, ever repay for human loss. Especially genocide. Also, the US authorized prostitution, they didn't force women into prostitution like the Japanese did to the Vietnamese, the Koreans, the Chinese

Humm, if payments don't mean shit, then shouldn't "economic" payments to prostitutes also "not mean shit"? There are plenty of ways of "forcing" people to do things, starvation as an alternative is a pretty compelling way. Does it really reflect positively on a government that tacitly condones exploitation while perhaps not "forcing" it.
Mar 18, 2015 10:07 PM

Jan 2011
DoctorCaim said:

from what ive seen i guess its HxH 2011
Mar 18, 2015 10:11 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
DoctorCaim said:
KingYoshi said:

Pyramid Head be a manifestation of your +1 bruh

I mean, your post showed such brilliance, I had to bring it back to light.
Mar 18, 2015 10:15 PM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
DoctorCaim said:
I'm referring mainly to the shit they did to China. The Rape of Nanking for example, is barely mentioned in history books in Japan

This is simply not true, the vast majority of Japanese history books do mention it. I think this article is a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

http://nation.time.com/2012/12/11/why-japan-is-still-not-sorry-enough/

The simple, and sad, truth is that the truth behind Nanjing cannot be known because no on really WANTS to know the truth. The Japanese don't, the Chinese certainly don't, the West could care less (outside of it allowing them to ignore their own crimes). On Nanjing as an isolated occurrence, I withhold judgement because I have a feeling the truth is that the Nationalist mercenaries started the assault when the leadership fled, and the Japanese should be faulted for participating in it after the fact. For me, I think the clearer sign of Japanese guilt comes with the biological warfare they used in northern China (though, even there, there is that unfortunate incident with Joseph Needham that clouds the issue, the Chinese government invented a US biological attack on China for propaganda reasons, and I challenge anyone to argue that if they were willing to lie once, they would be willing to lie twice is not a valid argument).

This should not be taken as any absolution for Japan. I completely believe that Japan could have done both, I am merely stating that the facts are more complicated and this fact should be recognized as a fact.
I disagree, I feel like China wants to remember. The Chinese are still angry with Japan and will bring it up whenever a conflict comes around (especially with the current island conflict going on). Politically and economically, China will also want to bring this subject up to leech more reparations as well as gain an edge in other land rivalries

Takuan_Soho said:
DoctorCaim said:
unless you go barebones deep into the subject. And payments don't mean shit really. Financial reparations may seem like a reasonable apology on a piece of paper but it will never, ever repay for human loss. Especially genocide. Also, the US authorized prostitution, they didn't force women into prostitution like the Japanese did to the Vietnamese, the Koreans, the Chinese

Humm, if payments don't mean shit, then shouldn't "economic" payments to prostitutes also "not mean shit"? There are plenty of ways of "forcing" people to do things, starvation as an alternative is a pretty compelling way. Does it really reflect positively on a government that tacitly condones exploitation while perhaps not "forcing" it.
Well that depends on whether you see prostitution in a negative light or not. I personally don't see any negatives with prostitution at all, it's a service that requires money. It's consensual as well, woman offers her body for money, customer pays money for body.

Comfort women are different though. They were forced into their role. Comfort women are victims of sexual slavery. Prostitutes are in the role of consensual business.
Mar 18, 2015 10:15 PM
Feb 2014
EliteTaste said:
PROUD TO BE AN ELITIST

Go back to Hummingbird.
Mar 18, 2015 10:16 PM
Oct 2012
Shitposta said:
Sorry if I called you out earlier, I take back everytning I said. It's just that I don't really take kindly to braggarts.

No offense was either taken nor meant. Everyone has their own personal experiences and in having them it means that they have different viewpoints and of course these viewpoints were lead to different interpretations, all of which are perfectly valid.

To return to the thread topic for an example. Earlier I said that it wasn't the matter of the actually viewpoint that was important, but rather the ability to at least argue the viewpoint that was important. People can, and indeed should be able to disagree based upon their personal experiences. Being an "elitist" doesn't mean that one's opinion is necessarily right, but rather that they should be able to 1) defend their position, and 2) understand, if not actually accept, opposing arguments.

To return to the WWII topic. Japan was a colonial power, as such people who actually suffered from it cannot of course be dismissed. My argument is more directed at people from say the US or Europe who likewise engaged in colonial exploitation, but somehow forget this fact when addressing Japan (or for that matter China, who exploits Tibet while complaining about receiving the same treatment from the Japanese). As I said before, I am all for a proper accounting, but proper means acknowledging all the facts, not just some of them.

To move off of any subject we have discussed, I would direct you to my comments on the Virgin Witch Maria thread. I believe I am pretty consistent on my desire to demand historical truth regardless of my personal beliefs. Again while achieving "truth" may be impossible, I firmly believe that there are degrees of truthfulness that can be achieved, and we should fiercely defend them.
Mar 18, 2015 10:18 PM

Dec 2012
"Elitist" is usually used as an insult, only an autismo would specifically call himself/herself an elitist.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Mar 18, 2015 10:22 PM

Jan 2012
im a waluigi.
you sound poor
Mar 18, 2015 10:26 PM

May 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Zergneedsfood said:
The dream.

See, everyone will disagree becuz of elitist eyes but Yuru Yuri > LOGH cause of Ayano.. or Himawari & Sakurako.. or Rise

You may be on to something here.
WrongPriestMar 18, 2015 10:29 PM
Mar 18, 2015 10:32 PM

Sep 2014
Neither really. I have no problem watching mainstream/popular anime or more obscure ones, I just like what I like, simple as that.
Mar 18, 2015 10:36 PM
Oct 2012
DoctorCaim said:
I disagree, I feel like China wants to remember. The Chinese are still angry with Japan and will bring it up whenever a conflict comes around (especially with the current island conflict going on). Politically and economically, China will also want to bring this subject up to leech more reparations as well as gain an edge in other land rivalries

But that is not remembering. That is exploiting. Personally I do not find it a coincidence that China only seemed to "remember" Nanjing after they butchered their own civilians in Tienanmen Square. Directing internal rage at an external opponent is far older than Orwell's 1984, and this is what China is doing. An inconvenient truth is that when Japan normalized relations with China in the 1970's they offered reparations to the Chinese government, Mao refused them. In that the current Chinese government still claims their mantle of power from Mao (to their pity), they should at least live up to his prior ruling. But of course that would be inconvenient (as is the fact that what China is doing in Tibet is just as bad).

DoctorCaim said:
Well that depends on whether you see prostitution in a negative light or not. I personally don't see any negatives with prostitution at all, it's a service that requires money. It's consensual as well, woman offers her body for money, customer pays money for body.

If the country has developed economically enough where a women has alternatives to prostitution, then I agree a free woman has every right to engage in it; however where there are no real alternatives for a woman outside of prostitution, then I would have to say that while I don't blame the women, I certainly do blame the system.

To use an obvious example. The TV and movie MASH had the heroes go off to Japan to enjoy the pleasures of the Geisha. A simple fact is that all Geisha were sold (due to economic conditions) to the brothels by their parents, there was no "choice" in the matter. How is this really different? Is it different merely because the agents were 1 step removed? Piss poor morality if that were the case.
Mar 18, 2015 10:36 PM

Jun 2014
WrongPriest said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

See, everyone will disagree becuz of elitist eyes but Yuru Yuri > LOGH cause of Ayano.. or Himawari & Sakurako.. or Rise

Sakurako is actually best girl simply because she's Sakurako.

Sakurako > LOGH
Mar 18, 2015 10:46 PM
Feb 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
WrongPriest said:

Sakurako is actually best girl simply because she's Sakurako.

Sakurako > LOGH

^

But Himawari slightly > Sakurako but hell those two make the show.
Mar 18, 2015 10:49 PM

Nov 2014
This thread is a thrill to read
Mar 18, 2015 10:50 PM

Jun 2014
KurobaHime said:

I digress. People of MAL, please do not read all preview 264 comments. You will be bored :(

Mar 18, 2015 10:51 PM

Nov 2014
7starkiller99 said:
KurobaHime said:

I digress. People of MAL, please do not read all preview 264 comments. You will be bored :(

You aren't hardcore enough for this stupidity
Mar 18, 2015 10:52 PM

Jun 2014
KurobaHime said:
7starkiller99 said:

You damn elitist.
Mar 18, 2015 10:54 PM
Feb 2014
KurobaHime said:
7starkiller99 said:

>stupidity

Stupidity is people kidding themselves over a cartoon medium that isn't meant to be taken seriously.
Mar 18, 2015 10:58 PM

May 2014
C'mon guys lets keep this on topic.

Shitposta said:

^

Mar 18, 2015 11:01 PM
Feb 2014
WrongPriest said:
C'mon guys lets keep this on topic.

Shitposta said:

^

underrated post i agree
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 4 minutes ago

3 by ST63LTH »»
10 seconds ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 4 hours ago

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
24 seconds ago

» The Impact of Anime on Global Pop Culture

LenRea - Yesterday

9 by TheMechaManiac »»
1 minute ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

25 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Jun 2

42 by ST63LTH »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.