Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2018 9:35 AM

Jun 2017
Don't you find that beautiful like Chiffon never knew but Pez knew,you know what I mean,don't you think it was beautiful done,because baby don't know anything they don't know what abc but he it's like he heard the voice,it's like the voice was in a baby language saying that's me I'm your granddad fam and it's just like by his voice he was smiling,and when he made that voice the baby start crying,it's like for a second the baby turned into an adult and that was the expression he made when Pound got killed,but that was beautiful because from what we know it's like how on earth do we know what a baby understand,and it's not like he saw pound before,but the way they showed it was like he was with Pound since birth.

He must be death right? because I know in One Piece they say some characters are dead but they are not you know what I mean,but I'm sure he's dead in order for us to escape.

It took us two sacrifices for us to escape,both died without no regrets but it woulda been beautiful if Chiffon found out about Pound but I guess at the end of the day it don't,maybe it does matter but not more so than the father knowing his kid is escaping and going further away from danger then I'd died without regret,that's the last thing you see and she's surrounded not just by his husband but people who sacrifice their life for her.

Look how crazy Big Mom was tho yo,but then again if we've never seen Big Mom's flashback that scene would have been more fucked up.That's the worse thing a father could experience,when your kid was just born and the mother is saying go away like you don't have any purpose just leave.Like fam I put the kids in you LOL,I'm your dad fam. What would you do? iif that ever happen to me fam and my kids are just born and I have beautiful twins like that,what would you do? like you can't see them even with the law and everything,you will be a living cold fam,you are living but you are a walking dead man.

There needs to be a way for Luffy but how? I think Luffy needs to learn the awakening,because there is no other way if it's in the Mirroworld.And Bruce Lee is gone so he can't go out so he has to be strong mentally and physically because in the world of One Piece man there are monsters lefts and right.There has to be a plan. People might be thinking am I stupid that I didn't want a 2nd fight,it was because the first round was so one-sided and I see no other way.But It's just the nature of a fight fam,but like Rayleigh said in order to increase your Haki you have to defeat someone strong so all these signs point that Luffy will defeat him,so does he learn to see the future to the extend like Katakuri? I don't know I don't see that happening but the awakening? yes.

CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
Nov 11, 2018 2:30 PM

Jul 2013
So the cake finally made it on to Beges ship. Oven didn't gave up and tried to stop them. That sound when Bege overrun him was very funny.

Pretty tragic ending for Pound. He could never be a real father for his daughters, just because Big Mom took them from him and he got expelled. And even not seeing his daughters how they grew up till the end he did everything possible to protect them. The sad thing about this, Chiffon will maybe never now that he was her father.

Now they finally can finish the cake and hopefully it will stop Big Mom.

In the meantime Luffy went back into the mirror world to fight Katakuri. Should be interesting to see what he has planned.

Just from the opening I knew something would happen to Carrot but damn. Sulong Carrot looks just crazy. I can't wait to see that in the next episode. Pretty hyped for it.

Nov 11, 2018 3:20 PM

Jul 2016
Inugirlz said:
I thought devil fruit users get weak when they touch the sea water? How is Oven touching the water to heat up the damn sea? The fuck.

No, water doesn't make people lose their powers. Luffy is still rubber when he's underwater, remember? Water simply WEAKENS the user, as in, they lose their strength. For this to happen, the user needs to be knee deep in water.
Nov 11, 2018 11:55 PM

Aug 2017
sad life for pound, and i am hype for carrot form this is going to be awesome
Nov 12, 2018 5:36 AM

Jul 2009
Zydeph said:
Inugirlz said:
I thought devil fruit users get weak when they touch the sea water? How is Oven touching the water to heat up the damn sea? The fuck.

No, water doesn't make people lose their powers. Luffy is still rubber when he's underwater, remember? Water simply WEAKENS the user, as in, they lose their strength. For this to happen, the user needs to be knee deep in water.

Um I didn’t say they would lose their power. I did say they get “weak” what I was surprised by is how he was touching it but remain unaffected and still use so much power.

But like someone above mention is the water around Cocoa island actually juice? (Lol this is mad bizarre ^_^’)

pilotinha_ said:
Inugirlz said:

Also lol LinLin use to be thin!

Poor Pound. That was dark.

Notice the gloves he wears.

Oh I don’t remember there being a material that protects from the sea, just the opposite with the sea stone handcuffs etc
Nov 12, 2018 8:02 AM

May 2016
Damn it I used to hate Pound at the start of the arc but now I feel terribly sad for him R.I.P....

Next episode Have seen Pudding when the manga came out last year I feel so excited for next one.
Nov 13, 2018 12:57 PM

Oct 2017
thanks to "cake island" my rating of this anime fell from 10 to 1. disgustingly.
Space cowboy
Nov 15, 2018 7:02 PM

May 2014
Nooooooooooo, Chiffon's dad, Pound, got killed. 😭😭😢😢 Even more sadder Chiffon never got to know (most probably) who her real father is. I were thinking why do this dude gets so much screentime. At the end I figured it out. He got his head chopped off. Poor thing.

Beside that, decent ep. Since this was only a blinding up ep. there shouldn't be much to brag about beside Big Mom's never ending chase after Mugiwara's ship and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeediiiiiiiiiiiiiing caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. xD
Nov 15, 2018 7:04 PM

May 2014
Natsu88 said:
So the cake finally made it on to Beges ship. Oven didn't gave up and tried to stop them. That sound when Bege overrun him was very funny.

Pretty tragic ending for Pound. He could never be a real father for his daughters, just because Big Mom took them from him and he got expelled. And even not seeing his daughters how they grew up till the end he did everything possible to protect them. The sad thing about this, Chiffon will maybe never now that he was her father.

Now they finally can finish the cake and hopefully it will stop Big Mom.

In the meantime Luffy went back into the mirror world to fight Katakuri. Should be interesting to see what he has planned.

Just from the opening I knew something would happen to Carrot but damn. Sulong Carrot looks just crazy. I can't wait to see that in the next episode. Pretty hyped for it.

She will maybe find it out by hearing it from Sanji, but that's very unlikely. Why make her sad when she has such a wonderful family. but then again she have the right to know.
Nov 16, 2018 9:40 PM

Dec 2013
RIP Pound. It’s sad knowing that no one will acknowledge what he did.
Nov 18, 2018 4:16 AM

Apr 2013
Finally Pond is gone, he was just annoying to me.
Nov 19, 2018 11:50 AM

Feb 2015
Luffy went back to mirror world to continue his battle against Katakuri. The cake lands successfully in Bege's ship and he and Chiffon could be together again. Oven tried to stop them but the ship ran over him. They finally got to the sea again and Oven, not tired of trying to mess their plan, started to boil the water in the ocean, damaging the ship's structure. Pound, in an attempt of helping Chiffon and stop Oven, hit him from the back, which does nothing more than make him angry. To confront Pound, Oven stopped boiling the water (which gave the ship a chance) and attacked Pound. The thousand is being attacked by Big Mom and other ships.

Interesting how Pez reacts when he perceives his grandfather Pound, even when Chiffon doesn't know who he is. There's and interest here, Oven is so stucked with the idea to kill Chiffon, there might be hate or a direct order to kill her, but it seems a bit personal. Sad for Pound, he only wants to help her, and in some way, he did it. Sacrificing his integrity, he just received a slash for what could be watched. Let's see what really happened.
Some questions here. Does Oven is not affected by sea water?, I mean, he's using his devil fruit on the ocean, or maybe, he's very strong and that's why he looked kind of tired, anyway he still has strenght. And Does Jinbe can't destroy ships from below?, That could be very helpful.
Atlas77Jul 14, 2019 12:15 PM
Dec 4, 2018 8:18 PM

Mar 2015
Poor Pound, but thanks to him they were able to get away.

Looking forward to seeing Carrot's new form!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 6, 2018 2:21 AM

Jul 2013
Oven really is a dumbass trying to endanger the cake like that but holy shit he's op af. So are you telling me he can boil the whole fucking ocean? RIP Pound atleast you get to have some screentime compared to like 50 of Big Mom's former husbands.
Feb 3, 2019 12:20 PM
Jun 2015
I always pitied Pound, but it in this episode I really felt sorry for him. Doesn't get to hold his kids and they don't even know who their father is.
Mar 31, 2019 9:50 AM

Jan 2013
LMFAO ... Oven getting run over :D
Kinda surprised Oven would endanger the cake like that, despite Big Mom running around like that, also how the hell is he able to cook the entire ocean lol.

Poor Pound, he just wanted to be a loving father, I genuinely felt sad for him :/
Big Mom looked really slim back then O_O
Sep 28, 2019 7:58 PM

Mar 2010
Pedro and pound :( rip
Jan 19, 2020 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
Pound truly deserved so much better. His daughter doesn't even recognize him or who he is for her. Pez felt some sort of attachment for him just from one look alone. Honestly, the part where Pez switched between different expressions in correspondence to Pound's actions was a little heartbreaking to me. At the very least, he got to see his daughter and grandchild at least once before his apparent death. This arc is amping up the deaths in One Piece. First Pedro and now Pound? A comic relief character who ended having such a sad history?

I guess Big Mom sees all her husbands as different breeding stocks for useful children. If her child isn't up to her standards, she disregards them. It is safe to say, Big Mom isn't the best mother out there.
Jul 14, 2020 6:22 AM

Oct 2009
thesilverspear said:
pilotinha_ said:

Notice the gloves he wears.

not because he's wearing gloves but if you remember that's a not a normal sea with water that's juice

Good point. This is also probably the reason why Perospero can use his ability to create Candy Seaslug in order for Big Mama to ride on it in the sea, as well
Aug 11, 2020 1:23 AM

Jun 2016
This is how you make an escape fun. We already saw the great strength and depth of emotion from Bege and his allies, we got that hysterically built up squish, and what we are then treated to is an escape crew filled with a depth of dynamics. Outside of the loving Bege family, there's another pair of lovers on this ship with Pudding and Sanji. Further, Sanji fits in perfectly with the Fire Tank crew, he has an array of different relationships with the different party members. He himself is annoyed that Vito is a fanboy who associates him with Germa, and he is appreciative of Bege who shares a tsundere camaraderie with Sanji; but never wanting to admit it. The status quo returned and we had this vast array of character dynamics to think about before instantly trampling over numerous chocolate houses on the way to the sea. That stuff is fun, and I really like how Sanji can fit in with other groups, the marines at Punk Hazard had him become their temporary leader for crying out loud! Oh also the reverse Aokiji in boiling the ocean was tight.

All of that is well and good, I was already thinking this episode was going to be fun. But I did not expect myself to bawl my eyes out in a way which is more rare than it used to be, although I certainly did so for Lin Lin’s backstory as well. And in this case especially, I should have already learned that Oda can make me cry over anything and everything but I never thought I would be so affected by Pound of all people. Maybe I'm unlike other people who I saw complaining about this emotional scene in the Crunchyroll comments as it resonated with me strongly. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I enjoy clumsy, weirdo, ugly fathers who love their daughters no matter what, this isn't the first time I've seen the character archetype, but primarily it has to do with how one of the forms of sadness which hit me the hardest is that of the bittersweet. And bittersweet is the way that I would describe this episode completely.

Pound is heartbreaking. He was coldly ripped away from his beloved daughters to the point that they don’t even know who he is today. Yet despite the fact that Chiffon doesn't even recognize him, despite the fact that he isn’t a naturally courageous or strong person, he will fight for her and risk his life. All he wants is to see her happy from afar, it’s selfless and pure and utterly sad.
My grandchild whose name I don't even know, are you happy?
The sadness really takes ahold of me in the fact that this is a good outcome for him, it’s unfair and cruel that he never had a chance. To see his daughter happy from afar and die as an unknown man is the best thing he’s got and he appreciates that it’s something. His life has been that hard... What makes it even worse is that he feels regret that he couldn’t be there for them, the least he can do is fight now. This behavior is brutal and it is the antithesis of Big ‘kids who don't serve a purpose for me aren't a part of my family” Mom.

And to pile on to the sadness, when we first hand saw the beatings Chiffon took in all their brutality, there was something deeply sad built into it all. We've seen Lin Lin’s past, we saw her when she was naive and innocent and happy, we saw her taken in by a mother who seemingly loved her despite the fact that she was hard to keep around. Like Pound, it appeared that taking care of Lin Lin only hindered Carmel rather than served a purpose. One could argue she is more like Carmel than she could ever know at this point, however I still have to ask “how did this happen you Lin Lin, how did you become like this?”

More than any arc, I feel Whole Cake is about tragically dysfunctional families, and with it, the opposite, the selfless love that blooms around them. Chiffon thinks of her only family as the Fire Tank pirates and until it was too late she never knew or will possibly never know she had a biological father who cared for her, she was sailing away from him. And yet again, that was enough for Pound, to do something for her and know she made it out okay, to finally see her smile. ‘Congratulations Chiffon!’ I broke this episode!!!

Shoutout to Luffy, the question on everybody's mind including mine until recently was why don’t you just run away, the answer seems clear now. Our rubbery boy will push himself in the midst of life or death combat to reach a new level and defeat the billion bounty man. Righteous and ballsy. Also, there is a spoiler I should bring up which I do know:
Jun 14, 2021 1:48 AM

Apr 2021
Pound </3 I can't believe we had 2 deaths and well (idk if I should include the cannibalism on big mom but) that's alot of deaths for an arc. T^T
Also WHAT THE HECK Y CAN THE netsu netsu no mi dude touch water, wouldnt that weaken and disable devil fruit users?
more of luffy and action to come, cant wait lol
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jun 17, 2021 2:57 PM
Jun 2019
Why is big mom thin here? As a 5 year child, she was hefty and resembled the current big mom.

The one showed in this episode looks entirely different
Aug 13, 2021 9:33 AM

Sep 2015
Sanjis reply to Vito saying"O-only Geerma could do that!" was funny. Oven got beaten without Bege doing anything. But some odd reason I find it enjoyable seeing Totto islands infrastructures getting destroyed.

And wait.. was that REALLY Big Mom in pounds flashback!?!? But as always she only use relationship for her own greed and advantage

But wow that was quick as to how she is caught back up with the straw hats after the nuts island
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 24, 2021 6:18 AM

Jun 2019
Chiffon didn't even realize that Pound was her father all along. That's sad. RIP.
Sep 6, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2021
feeling sad for pound saving them
Nami's group in most trouble O.O

Dec 28, 2021 10:14 AM

May 2016
Pound wasn't given an opportunity to be a father to Chiffon and Lola, he certainly proved that he was worthy of being called their dad by offering his life to save his daughter and her family. If only Chiffon realized who he really was...

I wish that after all this, Big Mom would somehow find out that Oven tried to destroy her beloved wedding cake on multiple occasions.

Luffy's not the type to run away anymore, Katakuri!

Big Mom's lost a lot of weight today lmao

Oct 10, 2022 5:33 PM
Jul 2022
Luffy was in it!!!!!!
Mar 7, 12:44 AM
Oct 2019
How the hell Oven didn't get weak by touching Sea water? or is it not a Sea Water?
Seems like a plot hole to me if they didn't explained it in upcoming episodes.

Poor Pound, Lola and Chiffon didn't even know who their father was.
Nahh Oven need to go.

RIP Pound, W Father!!
May 5, 8:49 PM
Feb 2022
R.I.P Pound. I'm so ready for your end Big Mom.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 608 Discussion ( 1 2 )

247Eyes - Aug 17, 2013

55 by YuriChinBClub »»
31 minutes ago

» The one piece

Danger_Hunter81 - Jun 5

22 by DeathNote37 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1107 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 1

51 by ahhellno »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 86 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaizokuou - Sep 22, 2009

92 by leafdrops »»
Yesterday, 7:31 PM

Poll: » Longer running comedy gag than Sanji's "fall for every girl he sees" shtick?

GakutoDeathGlare - Jun 3

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.