Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 24, 2020 11:23 AM

Dec 2017
kidlat020 said:

you do realize that you are just furthering his point across? the more unknowns there are, the more you should be wary and stay away from danger like wise witch that she is.

Do you realize, that me, the viewer, not knowing stuff is not an indication that MC has the same info? If it really WAS the unknown and dangerous thing - why there was literally zero information about it? If we got a few lines about how this stuff could be dangerous for her - it would be another deal. But all the info we got - "oh it is poisonous but I am immune and it also eats mana" - it doesn't sound even a bit threatening.
mavericko said:

You cant argue with novel and manga reader. it was literally explained in there, but the anime rushed the heck of it. causing people to misunderstood. Do yourself a favour just read the manga, it was really good art. and the plot slightly better

I can tho. If you check my profile, I have a bunch of novels/mangas that later recieved an adaptation. I both was anime-only and LN-reader and there is such thing as "bad adaptation". If it is rushed, if it omits crucial information, if it skips things that should not be skipped - it is a bad adaptation. Notice, I am not saying "LN is bad cause anime is bad", it would be stupid to do so. But I say "anime is bad cause it lacks this and this". Having missing parts in LN or manga is good for them, but it does literally nothing for someone who watches this anime without any knowledge of the source.
Oct 24, 2020 11:26 AM

Feb 2016
@slavemaster_1991

That's right, we know little about it, the more you don't know about something, the more it means that you shouldn't intervene. I'm just making basic assumptions on reasons why Elaina decided not to intervene. We don't know if using magic would worsen things or not. But ya'all pretending like doing something would solve everyone's problems as if it was that easy, if it were that easy, why nobody has solved it then?

Funny you telling that other guy that you don't have the same knowledge the MC has, when she had no idea about the flowers nor what it does either.

mavericko said:

You cant argue with novel and manga reader. it was literally explained in there, but the anime rushed the heck of it. causing people to misunderstood. Do yourself a favour just read the manga, it was really good art. and the plot slightly better

I didn't even read the manga and I understand what's going on, your argument is invalid.
CrimsonWandererOct 24, 2020 11:29 AM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 24, 2020 11:30 AM

Dec 2017
AdolZeppeli said:
@slavemaster_1991

That's right, we know little about it, the more you don't know about something, the more it means that you shouldn't intervene. I'm just making basic assumptions on reasons why Elaina decided not to intervene. We don't know if using magic would worsen things or not. But ya'all pretending like doing something would solve everyone's problems as if it was that easy, if it were that easy, why nobody has solved it then?

Welp, that describes the problem: we are both assuming things. But you assume them in a way that MC seems to be doing things right, and I am doing the opposite. With no real info on the subject both of us are just speculating on the topic and with lack of evidence to counter each other we will not come to any common ground. And I can't call it a good writing.
Oct 24, 2020 11:44 AM

Apr 2015
slavemaster_1991 said:
kidlat020 said:

you do realize that you are just furthering his point across? the more unknowns there are, the more you should be wary and stay away from danger like wise witch that she is.

Do you realize, that me, the viewer, not knowing stuff is not an indication that MC has the same info? If it really WAS the unknown and dangerous thing - why there was literally zero information about it?

hmm that's a good point. you can only fear so much before you reach paranoia. you may as well fear the very ground you're standing on because "it might suck your mana dry".
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Oct 24, 2020 11:49 AM

Feb 2016
slavemaster_1991 said:

Welp, that describes the problem: we are both assuming things. But you assume them in a way that MC seems to be doing things right, and I am doing the opposite. With no real info on the subject both of us are just speculating on the topic and with lack of evidence to counter each other we will not come to any common ground. And I can't call it a good writing.

But I'm making my assumptions on clear evidence, coming from the details I'm getting from the visual story telling. Like I said to many others, Elaina is not a messiah nor is overpowered, is not her job to save everyone or become a super hero either. Considering how vast that flower field were and the range it has, I highly doubt a single newbie witch could have had the power to deal with it. She had good judgement and decided not to act. Also, it's not like Elaina is the only witch alive, I bet countless witches have seen the conflict already, but considering how big the flower field is, it's fair to assume that is not an easy task and it has been there for quite a long while.
~Blackwall
Oct 24, 2020 12:21 PM

Feb 2019
RayReynolds said:
She absolutely was the strongest character with all those fire and wind spells that she could summon quickly and it was zero danger to herself to intervene and she similarly chose to ignore the suffering.
You're reducing the entire range of possible responses to Dragonball power levels. if the mad witch is supposedly stronger than Elaina, therefore she is helpless. Maybe that's the direction the story could have gone. Maybe she was indeed helpless. But we don't know that, because she didn't try. She didn't even think about trying. She felt no guilt or regret over her hand in this, or the other horrible tragedies she helped make and come to pass. It is not her lack of agency that makes her a sociopath, it is her indifference and apathy to the suffering around her and caused by her.

You do remember she's just a traveler right? She's not a super hero chosen one messiah that solves everyone's problems or trains every day to be the very best to help everyone. Sometimes the best course of action is leaving things to more capable hands or simply, not doing anything that might bring bad consequences not only for her, but to whoever she is trying to "help".

Helping is easier said than done, and it's shown on this episode, Elaina decided to help this time, but she realized how powerless she felt in comparison to that other witch that absolutely wrecked a big ass monster with little to no effort. Not just that, imprudence out of experience might have caused a bigger tragedy.

In Episode 02 she saw the problems in front of her Eyes, she did not even try to help. As if nothing happen

in this Episode she is not strong enough, but this time she did not closed her eyes and run away???
Oct 24, 2020 12:38 PM

Dec 2016
RayReynolds said:

In Episode 02 she saw the problems in front of her Eyes, she did not even try to help. As if nothing happen

in this Episode she is not strong enough, but this time she did not closed her eyes and run away???

What the hell do you mean, she didn't even try to help? She spent several days with Saya training her. Even after Elaina found out the Saya's true intentions she still spent time with Saya teaching her to stand on her own.

Your second sentence doesn't even make any sense. Try proofreading before posting a rebutal.
Oct 24, 2020 12:49 PM

Feb 2019
RayReynolds said:

What the hell do you mean, she didn't even try to help? She spent several days with Saya training her. Even after Elaina found out the Saya's true intentions she still spent time with Saya teaching her to stand on her own.

Your second sentence doesn't even make any sense. Try proofreading before posting a rebutal.

missclick, obviously I talking about episode 03
And in this episode she considered helping the witch princess her personality has been inconsistent from episode to episode and that is an unjustifiable error, not an opinion.
Oct 24, 2020 12:53 PM

Aug 2018
Because I see at long last what's wrong with the world. Too many sorcerers." that is all I have to say about this episode
Overall 6 out of 10
Oct 24, 2020 12:55 PM

Apr 2015
AdolZeppeli said:
slavemaster_1991 said:

But I'm making my assumptions on clear evidence, coming from the details I'm getting from the visual story telling. Like I said to many others, Elaina is not a messiah nor is overpowered, is not her job to save everyone or become a super hero either. Considering how vast that flower field were and the range it has, I highly doubt a single newbie witch could have had the power to deal with it. She had good judgement and decided not to act. Also, it's not like Elaina is the only witch alive, I bet countless witches have seen the conflict already, but considering how big the flower field is, it's fair to assume that is not an easy task and it has been there for quite a long while.

I'm gonna doubt for a second here. are you seriously gonna suspect a plant or flower? what's next, suspect the very ground you're standing on? suspect that the soil or cement is gonna "suck your mana" or something?

there's a fine line between fear and paranoia. you can only fear so much before it goes to paranoia territory. you may as well fear the very idea of traveling when everything that is "unknown" should be feared and stay away from.
kidlat020Oct 24, 2020 1:00 PM

Oct 24, 2020 1:12 PM

Feb 2016
kidlat020 said:
AdolZeppeli said:

I'm gonna doubt for a second here. are you seriously gonna suspect a plant or flower? what's next, suspect the very ground you're standing on? suspect that the soil or cement is gonna "suck your mana" or something?

there's a fine line between fear and paranoia. you can only fear so much before it goes to paranoia territory. you may as well fear the very idea of traveling when everything that is "unknown" should be feared and stay away from.

It's not a matter of being "paranoid", but making things worse. What would happen if Elaina had acted then and make things worse for rushing there without thinking? Sure, she's "immune" to it, but it could bring consequences to the townsfolk. Better leave things to more capable hands, or simply, not doing anything that could make things worse.

It's not paranoia, is knowing when things might bring bad consequences.

RayReynolds said:

In Episode 03 she saw the problems in front of her Eyes, she did not even try to help. As if nothing happen

Why would she try to help? Do you go to random towns to stay the night and the moment you see misfortune you go to aid without thinking twice? I certainly wouldn't. Countless times I've seen homeless people on the streets but I continue my way because there's nothing I can do for them and I don't have the means for doing so. It's the same on episode 3, there's nothing that a newbie witch can do about something she knows little of. As for the slave, she considered beating the town's chief but decided not to and repaired the pot the slave broke, remember, actions have consequences, I can't imagine the amount of consequences that would befall for intervening in affairs that are not of your concern. As far as I know, there isn't a guild for "justice witches" that travels around the world aiding people at random.

As for episode 4, she decided to "help" Mirarose indirectly by helping her doing that hole to trap the monster, she's not in direct danger there, and she acceeded to help for 3 reasons, because she's also a witch, because she offered Elaina a comfy bed and food and because Elaina was fooled into thinking that Mirarose was the victim here. Elaina was imprudent and curious at the end tho, going straight to the battlefield which could have ended up in a tragedy, but she realized her help wasn't needed at all, she felt powerless in comparison to that amazing magic display, there was nothing she could have done and then, she decides to leave. Imagine this happening in episode 3 after realizing how futile her actions were if she decided to intervene without knowing the entire story, possibly making things worse.
CrimsonWandererOct 24, 2020 1:30 PM
~Blackwall
Oct 24, 2020 1:13 PM

Aug 2018
kidlat020 said:

I dunno, if I saw a plant or field growing rapidly and sucking the life out of people, and didn't feel I had the power to get rid of it, or didn't know the consequences of going so, I'd get the fuck out of there.
Oct 24, 2020 1:51 PM

Mar 2020
Opticflash said:
kidlat020 said:

I dunno, if I saw a plant or field growing rapidly and sucking the life out of people, and didn't feel I had the power to get rid of it, or didn't know the consequences of going so, I'd get the fuck out of there.
Ok, I cant tell if people are joking or serious about this ( and I hope its the former) because at this point its getting ridiculous! Its pointless to try to argue with them
Oct 24, 2020 2:22 PM

Apr 2015
Opticflash said:
kidlat020 said:

and that calls for a plothole. if you're already working on a mere assumption that there's something bad with X, then that should have already been reported or something.

Eleina was working on the assumption that there's an impostor and she should walk cautiously when a mere report of a possible impostor hasn't been made yet.

Oct 24, 2020 2:52 PM

Aug 2018
kidlat020 said:
and that calls for a plothole. if you're already working on a mere assumption that there's something bad with X, then that should have already been reported or something.

Eleina was working on the assumption that there's an impostor and she should walk cautiously when a mere report of a possible impostor hasn't been made yet.

That's not how logic works. The default to anything is always a "negative" (unbelief/inaction) unless there's something that explicitly supports a "positive" (belief/action).

Here are the things we don't know.
- Whether she has the power to get rid of the plants
- Whether the plants are harmful to Elaina by sheer magical power
- Whether taking an action will cause more harm than good (e.g. destroying the garden leading to toxic fumes, spreading of seeds to further places)

The default is inaction or to be in a dilemma without information, unless explicitly given information to take action. We are not saying we "assume something bad will happen therefore don't take action" we are saying "we don't know whether anything bad will occur therefore don't take action unless we have more information".

Take common philosophical discussions such as the existence of any deities. There is no natural evidence that any gods exist, and therefore the default position is a lack of belief unless one sees what one views as evidence for such gods. That is not to say, "I haven't seen any evidence, so let's assume god doesn't exist".

Take more mundane, everyday life issues. Let's say you have very poor vision and are crossing the road. The default is to not cross unless you know whether cars are approaching; doing otherwise is reckless. By not crossing, we are NOT saying "let's assume cars are coming, so don't cross", we are saying "we do not know whether cars are coming, so let's not cross unless we are quite certain that cars aren't approaching". Once we know we are safe crossing, then we cross. This principle is applicable to every single task that calls for precaution. When companies take on engineering and construction projects, there are various safety mechanisms involved. Good, smart companies adopt rigorous health and safety protocols. These companies do not have enough information about all possible events that lead to catastrophe, so therefore the default is inaction unless they have the power to mitigate a lot of the potential hazards involved. This is done by safety training, PPE, detailed analysis of substances that may harm people's health and whatnot.
OpticflashOct 24, 2020 3:14 PM
Oct 24, 2020 3:21 PM

Oct 2018
Opticflash said:
fluroboy said:
- A passive, narcissistic and "perfect" main character. I understand the argument that she is a realistic character. I think this may have been intended, but I think it was executed very poorly. As someone who enjoys writing, I know for a fact that writers tend to get very attached to their main characters. Chances are, Elaina is meant to be a bit unlikable but has a human side to her. Putting yourself in the audience's shoes is a difficult task for sure, but I don't even think the author tried here. In fact, I think most of the people on this episode discussion have put more thought into Elaina when defending her, than the author themself. A good main character might be unlikable at first glance, but are soon likable due to their depth. With Elaina, you either immediately love or hate her. There has been no attempt to develop her (arguably the only character that matters in an anime like this), and her likability has suffered greatly. To the people who say her actions make her realistic, and that not every main character needs to be a shonen/isekai goody two shoes: no one disagrees with you. A character doesn't have to be relatable, but they do have to be likable.

Lol, a main character doesn't have to be likeable at all. Many people who watched Death Note hated Light's guts. However people still think the story is well written, and Light, despite his unlikability, is STILL one of the top voted characters in all of anime. Light had little depth; he had this fixed mindset about getting rid of all the criminals that's it. No backstory about why, no conflicted internal monologue. Even Mikami had more depth. People like Light as a character because he drove an interesting plot, but people don't like Light as a person. If you're arguing that Elaina is an unlikable character, there really is nothing to say here. If you're arguing that she's an unlikable [/i]person[/i], she certainly doesn't need to be for many people.

The author wanted to focus on other themes and aspects at least in the beginning of the story, which are emphasized well. You can't really fit everything like character depth, grandiose plot, etc. into a few episodes when they were trying to aim for something else.

I view likability in two ways: do other characters in the anime find her likable, and does the audience find her likable? (that may have been your intent with character vs person, but the terms were a bit vague for me).
I can say for a fact that for the most part people in the anime find her likable. The only exception to this rule would be the younger guard in episode 2, and possibly the other witches in episode 1.

What I'm more worried about is her likability as a character. I'll disagree with your point on Light, I think he is a likable character, at least in the context of the story. Honestly, now that you mention him I honestly think Elaina is a genderswap of Light in some ways. Both are naturally gifted people, and have easily brought themselves to the top of their field (Light is one of the smartest students, Elaina became an apprentice Witch at 15, and I think a full Witch at 16). This in itself isn't likable or unlikable, but it's there attitude towards other people that makes them likable/unlikable. Light's superiority complex (which soon transforms into a god complex) is what makes him so likable to audience. Over the top evil characters generally attract their fans (Gilgamesh from Fate immediately comes to mind).
However, I think Elaina is too down the middle. She certainly doesn't have the God complex of Light, but seems to care very little for people. For episode 2 onward, she really just seems to be using people.
I said before that I think the author intended something different, but failed. I believe that the intent for Elaina to be a passive entity that simply experiences the stories.
Ignoring the whole "she's a witch, she could easily help" argument for a second, I don't think she's been made passive enough. In episode 2, she eats at the bowlcut boy's house, but does not return the favour in anyway. In episode 4, she says that she won't help, but uses the princess' goodwill and sleeps in her house AND eats her food. Obviously she did decide to help later, but that confused me even more. She decided that she could help defeat a dragon (I think it was a dragon), but in episode 2 she couldn't threaten a fat rich dude, or even warn the boy that he might be hurting her.
I don't think Elaina is a sociopath like some on this thread are saying; I think her biggest problem is that she is nothing more than the author's tool to push forward the story when they see fit. This makes her a very inconsistent character, as one second she helps people, the next she doesn't care.

Opticflash said:
Some people like that, but sure that's your preference to have some grandiose plot involved. However this isn't related to how well written the story is for what it does.

I don't want a grandiose plot at all. I want a goal. A goal doesn't need to have 500 episodes of shonen action to be a goal. I mentioned Cowboy Bebop for a reason, it's a very episodic show. But there is a clear goal: we don't have enough money, we need money, let's do some bounty hunter missions. Everything in the show is based around that goal.
I believe the intent for Majo no Tabitabi's goal was is in the MAL bio: "Once upon a time, there was a witch named Elaina, who set off on a journey across the world. Along the way, she would meet all kinds of people—but with each meeting, Elaina would become a small part of their story, and her own world would get a little bit bigger. "
I just think that this goal is too vague, considering what the anime is trying to do (as in its trying to tell serious messages and morals). Slice of Life anime don't need a goal (although as I said, it sure as hell helps, i.e. K-On!: let's start the music club), but this isn't a slice of life.
Instead of just complaining, I'll give my simple alternative: Elaina is searching for something. Could literally be anything, could be as vague as "something fulfilling" or it could be the goddamn one piece for all I care. It would make the story and Elaina instantly more engaging. When Elaina is dealing with Fran ignoring her, we'd start to feel for her more. When we see Saya in episode 2 trying to fulfill her goal, we could draw better parrallels to Elaina's life thus far. Elaina's passive nature in episode 3 would be better explained, she has a goal, she can't die here, and it would mostly be the same for Episode 4.
People in this thread seem to be offended by the idea of a shonen character, but they have all been infinitely better written than Elaina just by including a goal. Some people seem to be forgetting that realism is the 2nd priority to making an interesting and engaging story.

Opticflash said:
I think perhaps you thought there was a lack of focus because you failed to understand the message in each.
- Episode 1: What it means to be hard working and success driven, and the importance of experiencing failure.
- Episode 2: The importance of doing things on your own, and the importance of seeking comfort from others
- Episode 3: Complexity and ramifications of one's actions no matter the intention
- Episode 4: The dirty side of anger and revenge

For each one, certain moments were done to draw emotion out of the audience watching for emphasis. Such as the slaying of the dragon; people were supposed to have an uncomfortable feeling in their stomach and feel bad for it.

No, I understood the message in each. My problem was that I disagreed, or a better way of putting it, thought the message was poorly implemented.

Opticflash said:
In episode 1, Fran already squeezed everything out of her. She didn't stop because she was guilt tripped. She stopped because she achieved her objective. In episode 2, the message is actually how important it is to be able to work on your own and be independent, not that you must always work your own. In episode 3, she didn't intervene because the message was on the ramifications of intervening. You must be, because if you see some disturbance in public, most people avoid it because it's risky to intervene. Few are willing to boldly jump in and end the conflict. In episode 4, it was about the idea of revenge. A character doesn't have to be likeable. Villains certainly aren't likeable.

For episode 1, Fran said "oh I can't do this anymore". That didn't seem like her achieving her goal, and she even explained her secret plan to her, ruining the entire thing just because Elaina cried.
For episode 2, the subs I had, had Elaina say "When you are seriously trying to accomplish something, you will always be alone. You can't do it if you're not alone. Once you start being friendly, it's over." That really just seems like what I had said before, "I disagreed with the idea you have to be alone in order to accomplish something". I also disagree with the message in general, there is a reason why shonen overuse the "Nakama is important" message, because it's such an obvious but important thing.
For episode 3, as I said in my post, I disagree. Nothing good has come from not intervening when you see bad happen.
For episode 4, I mainly felt they wanted be to feel for the princess, when she had done nothing but selfish actions.

Opticflash said:
No problem, but it seems like a lot of your points are on what you prefer the anime to be rather than whether it is good at what it does.

Everyone's point on this discussion have been preference, or different interpretations of Elaina's characters. Nothing is objective in art/entertainment (I have that in my bio lol), unless you simply state facts. Most of what you said wasn't you disagreeing with me, it was just you reiterating the intended purpose of the author. My entire point was that it failed at its intended purpose, which is what has made Elaina so unlikable to many like myself.

Sorry for writing so much I got carried away :P.
Oct 24, 2020 3:31 PM

Aug 2010
Definitely liking this episode more than the last one. One problem I had from last episode is how in the 2nd story the conclusion just came out of nowhere with Elaina's sudden realization of a story that was never brought up before.

This episode they have the foreshadowing beginning for the twisted ending, so it feels like a complete story.
Oct 24, 2020 3:43 PM
Oct 2015
Rainbowsaur said:
slavemaster_1991 said:

Excluding the most critical point, huh? I am not even sure if you are being serious.
P1 is obvious, as guard takes the flowers.
P2 is obvious, though it is a pretty bad move IMHO, but maybe she didn't want to dirty her hands
P3 tho IS the problem. It is the exact point my whole post was about, you might even say. There was zero world building in terms how magic works, and you tell me I have to go find the source, find its author and check his twitter only to get this episode so it finally makes sence? No, thank you.
P4 the only thing about flowers was that it sucked magic, no futher explanation, no details. What exactly did I miss and how exactly can this episode be complete without that explanation?
So yeah, sorry if I miss "subtle" things, but I don't even see "the obvious" things in this anime. I will not argue, source must be better, it is always the case, but in this case I am anime only and this anime does not give me a thought "wow that is actually great, I should read the LN".
I really want to know where he found this info, because mate, im deeper in the novel and he knows shit I dont from 4 damn episodes. Either hes has unbeleivable perception of somekind, or I'm have brain damage.
https://twitter.com/jojojojougi/status/1317100098950623239?s=19
Oct 24, 2020 3:48 PM

Feb 2016
AdolZeppeli said:
slavemaster_1991 said:

Why do I have to get this crucial info from some random post on MAL/authors tweet? If it was all explained in the episode - it would be recieved much better. But if someone just thinks "it will do" - it will not, and it just damages the title, as people will rate it worse. But she could at least give this poor soldier on the field a merciful death instead of living him in drug induced hallucination.

Idk, maybe because you guys doesn't even pay attention to what you're watching?

Excluding point 3, all the other things ShiroHachi stated in his reply are things that were stated pretty clear in the anime. If you need others to make this clear for you, it's because you're simply not paying attention to the subtle details this anime gives.
getting pretty toasty in this forum, but I just want to point out my problem to zeppli.

The above quote you condescendingly essentially said to someone that their at fault for not noticing points 1,2,4, and that these were "stated pretty clear" and basically called the guy your replying to stupid for not being able to realise these points. Later on you admit most of it is conjecture and assumptions that one can easily come to. Conjecture and reading between the lines is good and all, but you replying to those 3 points and saying they were all clearly stated is just false not all are at all, some are guess that anyone can come too if they wanted to but it really has no solid base and yeah the guy and no one should have gotten all 3 points. My guess is you accidentally over generalised your comment and didn't actually to mean you agreed with all points 100% but it came out that way.
RainbowsaurOct 24, 2020 4:00 PM
Oct 24, 2020 4:08 PM

Sep 2017
Really solid episode. Hopefully this will shut up everyone screaming that Elaina has no empathy after the last ep. The animation was pretty great during the attack on the monster (even the cgi swords were okay), but I really liked how they slowed down the framerate as her memories were coming back.
Oct 24, 2020 4:33 PM

Aug 2018
fluroboy said:
I view likability in two ways: do other characters in the anime find her likable, and does the audience find her likable? (that may have been your intent with character vs person, but the terms were a bit vague for me).
I can say for a fact that for the most part people in the anime find her likable. The only exception to this rule would be the younger guard in episode 2, and possibly the other witches in episode 1.

What I'm more worried about is her likability as a character. I'll disagree with your point on Light, I think he is a likable character, at least in the context of the story. Honestly, now that you mention him I honestly think Elaina is a genderswap of Light in some ways. Both are naturally gifted people, and have easily brought themselves to the top of their field (Light is one of the smartest students, Elaina became an apprentice Witch at 15, and I think a full Witch at 16). This in itself isn't likable or unlikable, but it's there attitude towards other people that makes them likable/unlikable. Light's superiority complex (which soon transforms into a god complex) is what makes him so likable to audience. Over the top evil characters generally attract their fans (Gilgamesh from Fate immediately comes to mind).
However, I think Elaina is too down the middle. She certainly doesn't have the God complex of Light, but seems to care very little for people. For episode 2 onward, she really just seems to be using people.
I said before that I think the author intended something different, but failed. I believe that the intent for Elaina to be a passive entity that simply experiences the stories.
Ignoring the whole "she's a witch, she could easily help" argument for a second, I don't think she's been made passive enough. In episode 2, she eats at the bowlcut boy's house, but does not return the favour in anyway. In episode 4, she says that she won't help, but uses the princess' goodwill and sleeps in her house AND eats her food. Obviously she did decide to help later, but that confused me even more. She decided that she could help defeat a dragon (I think it was a dragon), but in episode 2 she couldn't threaten a fat rich dude, or even warn the boy that he might be hurting her.
I don't think Elaina is a sociopath like some on this thread are saying; I think her biggest problem is that she is nothing more than the author's tool to push forward the story when they see fit. This makes her a very inconsistent character, as one second she helps people, the next she doesn't care.

What I mean when I say person versus character is that for the former whether you agree with their design, attitude, ethics, and moral philosophy, and for the latter whether that character is effective in the story or whether the character is interesting to you regardless of their moral outlook. There's a reason why people who say "villains who make your blood boil are good villains"; villains are meant to be dislikeable as people, but as characters they are effective at being antagonists.

When people talk about Light, they usually hate his personality. However, like you've accurately pointed out, he's likeable in the eyes of many as a character because the plot involving him is interesting. When you described Elaina, I wasn't sure whether you meant her as a character or as a person. From the looks of it, many people dislike her as a person, but don't explain why they dislike her as a character and why that's a flaw in the show.

Regarding Elaina's actions, there are some suggestions as to why she helps some people but not others. She helped Saya and Mirarose because they have something in common. Both are witches (one aspiring witch who was just like Elaina a few years back), both she got to know before helping, both having helped her somewhat. She didn't do anything for the slave and the reasons are because she doesn't know her, and because there are potential consequences in doing so (which at the end of the episode the anime tried to pinpoint as the theme of the episode). She quite clearly threatened the village chief by pointing her wand at him, but it was a subtle threat that the chief cannot do anything about because she could say she wasn't threatening him and only drew it to repair the jug. What could she have done for the boy? If she said "hey I remember hearing a story about a wife who committed suicide", that will come off as paranoia. She only remembered at the end, but that was used for effect.

fluroboy said:
I don't want a grandiose plot at all. I want a goal. A goal doesn't need to have 500 episodes of shonen action to be a goal. I mentioned Cowboy Bebop for a reason, it's a very episodic show. But there is a clear goal: we don't have enough money, we need money, let's do some bounty hunter missions. Everything in the show is based around that goal.
I believe the intent for Majo no Tabitabi's goal was is in the MAL bio: "Once upon a time, there was a witch named Elaina, who set off on a journey across the world. Along the way, she would meet all kinds of people—but with each meeting, Elaina would become a small part of their story, and her own world would get a little bit bigger. "
I just think that this goal is too vague, considering what the anime is trying to do (as in its trying to tell serious messages and morals). Slice of Life anime don't need a goal (although as I said, it sure as hell helps, i.e. K-On!: let's start the music club), but this isn't a slice of life.
Instead of just complaining, I'll give my simple alternative: Elaina is searching for something. Could literally be anything, could be as vague as "something fulfilling" or it could be the goddamn one piece for all I care. It would make the story and Elaina instantly more engaging. When Elaina is dealing with Fran ignoring her, we'd start to feel for her more. When we see Saya in episode 2 trying to fulfill her goal, we could draw better parrallels to Elaina's life thus far. Elaina's passive nature in episode 3 would be better explained, she has a goal, she can't die here, and it would mostly be the same for Episode 4.
People in this thread seem to be offended by the idea of a shonen character, but they have all been infinitely better written than Elaina just by including a goal. Some people seem to be forgetting that realism is the 2nd priority to making an interesting and engaging story.

But her goal was to go on a journey and explore the world that's it. In Cowboy Bebop (although I haven't watched it), the goal is to do bounty missions. I guess what you're fundamentally uncomfortable with is the specificity of the goal. Sure she could find a one piece, but I don't really mind just wandering the world as long as the themes and ideas portrayed, even though individualistic, is well executed.

fluroboy said:

No, I understood the message in each. My problem was that I disagreed, or a better way of putting it, thought the message was poorly implemented.

I don't think you said why though. For example in episode 3, the idea was one's good deeds may result in dire consequences. However most of the points were on questioning why she didn't help, which doesn't touch on the theme at all.

fluroboy said:
For episode 1, Fran said "oh I can't do this anymore". That didn't seem like her achieving her goal, and she even explained her secret plan to her, ruining the entire thing just because Elaina cried.
For episode 2, the subs I had, had Elaina say "When you are seriously trying to accomplish something, you will always be alone. You can't do it if you're not alone. Once you start being friendly, it's over." That really just seems like what I had said before, "I disagreed with the idea you have to be alone in order to accomplish something". I also disagree with the message in general, there is a reason why shonen overuse the "Nakama is important" message, because it's such an obvious but important thing.
For episode 3, as I said in my post, I disagree. Nothing good has come from not intervening when you see bad happen.
For episode 4, I mainly felt they wanted be to feel for the princess, when she had done nothing but selfish actions.

In episode 1, Fran didn't want to do those things, however she established them as goals because Elaina's parents told her to. She achieved them when Elaina broke down, therefore she stopped. Her mission was to do so, even if she did not want to do the mission. I think it's more impactful that she experienced some failure, and then being told it's training for her. It's impactful because she felt something through experience, but then realizing that there are people who in fact care and want her to succeed. If she was told by Fran that "sorry this is what life will be like, deal with it", that will likely result in self esteem and trust issues, and less confidence and motivation in general. When Fran hugged her tried to sooth her, I believe it was also meant for the audience. It tells the audience exactly what they want to hear when being faced with a difficult situation.

In episode 2, I'll concede somewhat as I missed the part where she said "once you start being friendly, it's over". However I agree with the rest of her notion. At the end if you want to accomplish a task, it is important to be able to do it alone unless such a task necessitates teamwork. Independence is something that is valuable. Being able to work on projects without constantly being told how to is important. Coming up with your own ideas is important. Choosing a career path, landing a good job, paying your bills, getting a house, etc. usually requires you to do these things on your own or at least being able to.

In episode 3, yes nothing good comes out of not intervening. However the idea was that intervening may make matters even worse. That's what the author tried to convey. That is not to say "don't intervene" but if you choose to do so, evaluate the consequences first to make sure what you are doing has the highest probability of achieving a positive outcome.

In episode 4, the audience was supposed to feel for the dragon. This was emphasized via the blood from the dragon, the fact that the dragon was continuously assaulted and as helpless as an insect, and having the head chopped off. The audience was supposed to slowly go from feeling sympathy for the witch to the dragon.

fluroboy said:
Everyone's point on this discussion have been preference, or different interpretations of Elaina's characters. Nothing is objective in art/entertainment (I have that in my bio lol), unless you simply state facts. Most of what you said wasn't you disagreeing with me, it was just you reiterating the intended purpose of the author. My entire point was that it failed at its intended purpose, which is what has made Elaina so unlikable to many like myself.

Correct, a lot of opinions are based on preferences. However I believe there should be some sort of evaluation involved on the effectiveness of whatever the author is trying to convey. If you were to write an essay on Macbeth in English class, even though I may think Macbeth is boring as hell, some sort of critical evaluation on the themes and ideas presented and the efficacy of the author's style is warranted.
Oct 24, 2020 4:34 PM

Feb 2016
Rainbowsaur said:
AdolZeppeli said:

Idk, maybe because you guys doesn't even pay attention to what you're watching?

Excluding point 3, all the other things ShiroHachi stated in his reply are things that were stated pretty clear in the anime. If you need others to make this clear for you, it's because you're simply not paying attention to the subtle details this anime gives.
getting pretty toasty in this forum, but I just want to point out my problem to zeppli.

The above quote you condescendingly essentially said to someone that their at fault for not noticing points 1,2,4, and that these were "stated pretty clear" and basically called the guy your replying to stupid for not being able to realise these points. Later on you admit most of it is conjecture and assumptions that one can easily come to. Conjecture and reading between the lines is good and all, but you replying to those 3 points and saying they were all clearly stated is just false not all are at all, some are guess that anyone can come too if they wanted to but it really has no solid base and yeah the guy and no one should have gotten all 3 points. My guess is you accidentally over generalised your comment and didn't actually to mean you agreed with all points 100% but it came out that way.

Yeah, but there's visual details too, don't always stick with what the anime tells you, after all, it's an Audiovisual media. I got my arguments from what the anime tells me, from what it shows me and then I make my conclusion.

To me it was pretty clear that something was going on with the plants, something that a novice witch can't solve by herself. It's something big that has been going on for a while and no one has dared to face it yet. The creepy zombie end to this tale shows me that is a problem way bigger than it looks. Elaina was never stated as super strong in raw magical power, so I don't get why people would have wanted her to help in affairs that she alone wouldn't be able to solve.
~Blackwall
Oct 24, 2020 4:38 PM

Jul 2017
Now THIS was an episode. Interesting dark story as always but with such a beatiful action scene.
Oct 24, 2020 4:42 PM
Sep 2020
I feel bad for people who hope it will be like a shounen anime. I totally enjoying this though...

well, you should watch Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear then if don't like a dark story.
Oct 24, 2020 4:59 PM
Jul 2019
-Aincrad- said:
Now this was a good episode, dark, but still made well, unlike the previous episode.

Also, Gilgamesh, you better start training o.O
I totally catch your drift. I liked episode 3, but it felt rushed with having two chapters crammed in there. But episode 4 did a great job with the revenge plot with its climax, the visuals (a bit wonky at times but nice) as well as the music, they complemented eachother pretty damn well I might say. And yes, the Gate of Babylon/Unlimited Bladeworks finisher tickled my fancy too because I like the Fate series, as well as FGO.
Oct 24, 2020 4:59 PM

Oct 2018
Opticflash said:
fluroboy said:

What I mean when I say person versus character is that for the former whether you agree with their design, attitude, ethics, and moral philosophy, and for the latter whether that character is effective in the story or whether the character is interesting to you regardless of their moral outlook. There's a reason why people who say "villains who make your blood boil are good villains"; villains are meant to be dislikeable as people, but as characters they are effective at being antagonists.

When people talk about Light, they usually hate his personality. However, like you've accurately pointed out, he's likeable in the eyes of many as a character because the plot involving him is interesting. When you described Elaina, I wasn't sure whether you meant her as a character or as a person. From the looks of it, many people dislike her as a person, but don't explain why they dislike her as a character and why that's a flaw in the show.

Regarding Elaina's actions, there are some suggestions as to why she helps some people but not others. She helped Saya and Mirarose because they have something in common. Both are witches (one aspiring witch who was just like Elaina a few years back), both she got to know before helping, both having helped her somewhat. She didn't do anything for the slave and the reasons are because she doesn't know her, and because there are potential consequences in doing so (which at the end of the episode the anime tried to pinpoint as the theme of the episode). She quite clearly threatened the village chief by pointing her wand at him, but it was a subtle threat that the chief cannot do anything about because she could say she wasn't threatening him and only drew it to repair the jug. What could she have done for the boy? If she said "hey I remember hearing a story about a wife who committed suicide", that will come off as paranoia. She only remembered at the end, but that was used for effect.

fluroboy said:

But her goal was to go on a journey and explore the world that's it. In Cowboy Bebop (although I haven't watched it), the goal is to do bounty missions. I guess what you're fundamentally uncomfortable with is the specificity of the goal. Sure she could find a one piece, but I don't really mind just wandering the world as long as the themes and ideas portrayed, even though individualistic, is well executed.

fluroboy said:

I don't think you said why though. For example in episode 3, the idea was one's good deeds may result in dire consequences. However most of the points were on questioning why she didn't help, which doesn't touch on the theme at all.

fluroboy said:

In episode 1, Fran didn't want to do those things, however she established them as goals because Elaina's parents told her to. She achieved them when Elaina broke down, therefore she stopped. Her mission was to do so, even if she did not want to do the mission. I think it's more impactful that she experienced some failure, and then being told it's training for her. It's impactful because she felt something through experience, but then realizing that there are people who in fact care and want her to succeed. If she was told by Fran that "sorry this is what life will be like, deal with it", that will likely result in self esteem and trust issues, and less confidence and motivation in general. When Fran hugged her tried to sooth her, I believe it was also meant for the audience. It tells the audience exactly what they want to hear when being faced with a difficult situation.

In episode 2, I'll concede somewhat as I missed the part where she said "once you start being friendly, it's over". However I agree with the rest of her notion. At the end if you want to accomplish a task, it is important to be able to do it alone unless such a task necessitates teamwork. Independence is something that is valuable. Being able to work on projects without constantly being told how to is important. Coming up with your own ideas is important. Choosing a career path, landing a good job, paying your bills, getting a house, etc. usually requires you to do these things on your own or at least being able to.

In episode 3, yes nothing good comes out of not intervening. However the idea was that intervening may make matters even worse. That's what the author tried to convey. That is not to say "don't intervene" but if you choose to do so, evaluate the consequences first to make sure what you are doing has the highest probability of achieving a positive outcome.

In episode 4, the audience was supposed to feel for the dragon. This was emphasized via the blood from the dragon, the fact that the dragon was continuously assaulted and as helpless as an insect, and having the head chopped off. The audience was supposed to slowly go from feeling sympathy for the witch to the dragon.

fluroboy said:

Correct, a lot of opinions are based on preferences. However I believe there should be some sort of evaluation involved on the effectiveness of whatever the author is trying to convey. If you were to write an essay on Macbeth in English class, even though I may think Macbeth is boring as hell, some sort of critical evaluation on the themes and ideas presented and the efficacy of the author's style is warranted.

Rather than continuing this back and forth, I think I'll just say that I really don't like the show. Trying to rationalise your thoughts is difficult, especially when balancing opinion with fact.
I honestly can't disagree with anything you've said, but I also can't say I enjoyed anything the show has offered. Maybe I think the show could have easily been improved, maybe I think it had no potential to begin with, I don't know.

The only point in this that I can stand by (without being a prick by disagreeing with your other points for the sake of disagreeing) is that the show's goal is too vague for me. The goal of going on a journey is not bad in itself, but her motivation has been underdeveloped. I don't think she's ever mentioned the witch in the book she read as a child after episode 1. She just seems to wander from place to place, barely interacting with the people, except for food and shelter. I think a better approach would be to make her adventurous. If she purposely looked for danger, that would be much more interesting to me. Not only would it give her some drive in the story, but it would also act as a flaw. So far, I've had trouble finding any flaw's for Elaina. She is definitely a bit narcissistic (such as when she calls herself a beauty), but this is portrayed more as a quirk of hers, rather than a weakness. Feel free to tell me a flaw of her's.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't enjoy hating shows. Even with some of the worst stuff, I can still see the good. In a perfect world, I would be enjoying this show alongside you.

Also I'd like to show this quote I found off some random website, that sort of highlights my issues with Elaina: "Say your protagonist is a gorgeous, violet-eyed sylph with a heart of gold, who fights like Mike Tyson and writes like Mark Twain… but she sings like a squawking parrot and once got a B- in math. Sure, her tone deafness and mathematical ineptitude are technically flaws. But all in all, they’re pretty inconsequential. If your character has only a couple of minor weaknesses to balance out their tremendous strengths, they’ll still read as unrealistically perfect. Watching them dazzle their way through your story will have your readers rolling their eyes — or even worse, suspecting you wrote them as a wish fulfillment exercise. So make sure your character has some meatier flaws, the kind of vulnerabilities that will actually play a role in her character arc. Maybe your violet-eyed heroine is brave and strong, but she tends to panic when the stakes are high, making tactical mistakes that can cost her dearly. Maybe she’s so hung up on a prophecy she’s supposed to fulfill that she has trouble thinking for herself. Maybe her tendency to be suspicious of everyone, so she has a hard time winning allies." - from https://blog.reedsy.com/character-development/
Oct 24, 2020 5:02 PM
Jul 2019
sazzuren said:
wtf with that unlimited blade works xd
she had created over a thousand blades (literally)
Oct 24, 2020 5:12 PM
Jul 2019
fluroboy said:
I gave this anime one last shot to impress me, and it just didn't. I can see the appeal to some people, but this anime just has too many problems for me to even consider it to be "average".

- A passive, narcissistic and "perfect" main character. I understand the argument that she is a realistic character. I think this may have been intended, but I think it was executed very poorly. As someone who enjoys writing, I know for a fact that writers tend to get very attached to their main characters. Chances are, Elaina is meant to be a bit unlikable but has a human side to her. Putting yourself in the audience's shoes is a difficult task for sure, but I don't even think the author tried here. In fact, I think most of the people on this episode discussion have put more thought into Elaina when defending her, than the author themself. A good main character might be unlikable at first glance, but are soon likable due to their depth. With Elaina, you either immediately love or hate her. There has been no attempt to develop her (arguably the only character that matters in an anime like this), and her likability has suffered greatly. To the people who say her actions make her realistic, and that not every main character needs to be a shonen/isekai goody two shoes: no one disagrees with you. A character doesn't have to be relatable, but they do have to be likable.

- Unrelated episodes. It's not episodic like Cowboy Bebop, it's just completely different stories every episode. This wouldn't be so bad if the episodes were well written, but they really are nothing special.

- No goal. A show doesn't need a goal to be great, but it sure as hell helps. The show is aimless, I don't even know what I'm meant to look for in the next episode. Elaina has pretty much achieved her dream, so I feel no need to ever root for her. And the other characters have only appeared once per episode so far, and they are about as basic as you can get.

- Unlikable or bare-bones characters. Ignoring Elaina for a minute, why are there no interesting characters? Not one. Each character has a whopping total of one trait each, and it really makes them hard to care about.

- Complete lack of focus. I don't even know what this anime is. The 1st episode made me think it'd be a story about a witch in training. The 2nd episode had me thinking it'd be about Elaina traveling, helping people and making friends. The 3rd episode made me think that it would try (and fail) to tell some dark stories. But with the 4th episode... what was even the point? I knew the princess had written the note straight away, I knew she was at fault in some way, I knew she was the princess from the story. Yet the anime told me these facts as if they were surprising. This anime has already tried to be 4 things, and failed miserably at each.

- Predictable plot. I explained earlier, but I have not been surprised once. When you have someone of my ability thinking of more interesting ideas for the episode, you've messed up.

- Cringe messages and twists. This is definitely the most subjective point for me. Personally, I disagreed with most of the messages presented in the 4 episodes I could stomach. Episode 1, I felt that Elaina got out of Flan's harsh training by crying and guilt-tripping her. Episode 2, I disagreed with the idea you have to be alone in order to "accomplish something". Oh yeah, when has working together ever accomplish anything? Episode 3, I pretty much disagreed with all of Elaina's actions. People have been saying that what Elaina did was the natural human response. Now if this is true, I must be a great goddamn person. I must be such a kind-hearted, selfless hero for going out of my way to help somebody with my magical powers. I highly doubt this, so the people saying this are either psychopaths (unlikely) or edgy (likely). And Episode 4, yeah I just didn't like the princess. She was in the wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right, I can't believe I'm actually able to use an old saying like that.

I really can't stand this anime. At this point it's irrationally infuriating me.
There's obviously no need for me to watch this anymore considering how much I dislike it, so I'm dropping it, with a very low chance of ever picking it back up again, and am giving it a 2/10.

And to those of you who are loving the show: more power to you. There's nothing wrong with enjoying something others don't. :)
Agreeable. The aspects that I think are understandable turnoffs to this series are Elaina’s personality and the story structure. It’s a series that’s not for everyone, but it’s something that I’m still looking forward too every week especially after starting the light novel. This show was definitely a refresher for me after the dumpster fire that was Rent-A-Girlfriend finished airing. Again, I can understand your gripes with this series and you made very good points. Mad respect.
Oct 24, 2020 5:54 PM

Aug 2018
fluroboy said:
Rather than continuing this back and forth, I think I'll just say that I really don't like the show. Trying to rationalise your thoughts is difficult, especially when balancing opinion with fact.
I honestly can't disagree with anything you've said, but I also can't say I enjoyed anything the show has offered. Maybe I think the show could have easily been improved, maybe I think it had no potential to begin with, I don't know.

The only point in this that I can stand by (without being a prick by disagreeing with your other points for the sake of disagreeing) is that the show's goal is too vague for me. The goal of going on a journey is not bad in itself, but her motivation has been underdeveloped. I don't think she's ever mentioned the witch in the book she read as a child after episode 1. She just seems to wander from place to place, barely interacting with the people, except for food and shelter. I think a better approach would be to make her adventurous. If she purposely looked for danger, that would be much more interesting to me. Not only would it give her some drive in the story, but it would also act as a flaw. So far, I've had trouble finding any flaw's for Elaina. She is definitely a bit narcissistic (such as when she calls herself a beauty), but this is portrayed more as a quirk of hers, rather than a weakness. Feel free to tell me a flaw of her's.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't enjoy hating shows. Even with some of the worst stuff, I can still see the good. In a perfect world, I would be enjoying this show alongside you.

Also I'd like to show this quote I found off some random website, that sort of highlights my issues with Elaina: "Say your protagonist is a gorgeous, violet-eyed sylph with a heart of gold, who fights like Mike Tyson and writes like Mark Twain… but she sings like a squawking parrot and once got a B- in math. Sure, her tone deafness and mathematical ineptitude are technically flaws. But all in all, they’re pretty inconsequential. If your character has only a couple of minor weaknesses to balance out their tremendous strengths, they’ll still read as unrealistically perfect. Watching them dazzle their way through your story will have your readers rolling their eyes — or even worse, suspecting you wrote them as a wish fulfillment exercise. So make sure your character has some meatier flaws, the kind of vulnerabilities that will actually play a role in her character arc. Maybe your violet-eyed heroine is brave and strong, but she tends to panic when the stakes are high, making tactical mistakes that can cost her dearly. Maybe she’s so hung up on a prophecy she’s supposed to fulfill that she has trouble thinking for herself. Maybe her tendency to be suspicious of everyone, so she has a hard time winning allies." - from https://blog.reedsy.com/character-development/

Respectable. I definitely see some of your perspective. Developing a more refined plot adds to the potential of creating a more involved storyline and worldbuilding. To many people, Elaina's flaws are her personality traits, but we have yet to see how those play a detailed role in the story.

UncleJojo said:
This show was definitely a refresher for me after the dumpster fire that was Rent-A-Girlfriend finished airing.

Bro, Rent-A-Girlfriend was one of the best if not the best anime of last season. Dunno what you're talking about.
Oct 24, 2020 6:09 PM

Jul 2011
Best episode until now. This show is growing pretty well
Oct 24, 2020 6:21 PM

May 2013
What I really love this series is how much moral discussion this raises all around internet. Here and Reddit Elaine's actions and inaction raises lots of talking.

Why would anyone try to intervene with genocide witch princess fight with her daddy godzilla is beyond of me. Why would anyone care if they killed each other? And why would anyone care to bring so called justice aka killing that princess because what she has done. There are no society who would need that the justice because society is dead. Elaine is no part of that society. Other countries probably wouldn't care what happened in that country. They might just give medal for princess and try to grab that land for themself. If there is no society which to bring justice there is no point of it especially for outsider. Why would outsider care dead people? Why to bring blood for her hands for dead people? There in no point. There is nothing which connects her to those people.
Oct 24, 2020 6:33 PM
May 2016
I'm going to start watching these as Kaidan (Japanese ghost stories) and Elaina as an evil witch who just acts as a bridge to the next story. Easier to view it that way and more fitting with the Halloween season than worrying about her indifference to what's going on.
Oct 24, 2020 6:37 PM

Jul 2014
It's kinda unsettling how devoid of humanity the writing is.
Elaina chooses what to do or not to do based solely on her subjective understanding of cool, while being powerful enough for it to matter. (She thinks herself the coolest in all circumstances tho.)
And everything else is an edgy background, with people being not living beings, but experiences for Elaina to passively look at, to stand out compared to them.
But like, it's fine, it's the other, feminine take on the typical male harem superhero from LNs. Those are maybe even more sociopatic at times.

The strangest part is that all the lessons seem wrong (as others have mentioned in the thread).
In the first ep the teacher witch told Elaina that her problem was being too patient, while she was and continues to be too arrogant.
In the second ep she gave a cynical advise about being necessary alone while achieving something - but she herself had always been supported up until then, and the other girl also won because of getting her help.
The third ep was about not judging the book by its cover. But at no point Elaina noticed her responsibility in the guard's tragedy or her tendency to judge by the looks. Her "flowers = cool" was very stupid, esp since she had read about evil flowers before. And in the second half she gave the boy some bad advice, none of the good advise she easily could've given, she even withheld the crucial part about the ending of the book (again) - then simply ran away. Moreover it was unclear why the attempt of the young man to cheer his love up was necessary so bad, cause he loved her,tried to help her despite his father's wishes, her situation wasn't the same as that of the magician's sick wife. She had a chance to become free and to have a lot of happy experiences herself. Her fate wasn't predetermined, the main issue was that her boyfriend was too immature. Elaina could've easily said something about it, which would've cost her nothing, but she didn't.
And now Elaina gets involved with a mad witch because the mad witch seems pretty and cool at first. Elaina enters a warzone (so much for staying safe and noninvolvement), then violently barges into someone else's castle uninvited. There she receives hospitality, but is haughty even in front of a princess and the host, while, at the same time, being all "lol, not my problem" about the mess she has willingly flew into. She likes receiving food and shelter however. She crawls out to see the other witch fighting cause it's exciting, but when she learns Mirarose is crazy she leaves immediately, because now it's uncool. She has helped a bit, so she actually is involved in the whole crime now, but Elaina won't ever recognize it.
Tbh, Elaina seems like a bad guest. She takes things easily, it was bizarre when she asked the bottle guy whether she could open his bottle of happiness, but she gives back or even behaves properly only when she find something cute/rad.

It's a pity, I was onboard with a story about a travelling young witch with actual decent action. The show also looks stunning.
Oct 24, 2020 7:09 PM

Dec 2016
RayReynolds said:

And in this episode she considered helping the witch princess her personality has been inconsistent from episode to episode and that is an unjustifiable error, not an opinion.

No, your blindsided and biased stance is an opinion, not a fact.

Her personality hasn't changed at all throughout all 4 episodes so far. Her motto has always been to travel and stay out of trouble. Trouble has found her in different occasions, but she adapts to the situation, some of them allow her to help out without "getting burned" by her own actions (Saya's case in episode 2). Here in episode 4 she helped out Mirarose because she thought Mirarose was a victim, not to mention her involvement intially was just to help setup a trap and nothing more. She felt compassion for the "transient" Mirarose and she even said out loud that she wanted to see her live thru this situation (perhaps she thought it would be a similar situation like Saya's were the risks were minimal to acceptable) Most likley if Elaina had known Mirarose's original plan, she would had bailed as soon as she had regained her strenght and left her alone to deal with her father.

fluroboy said:

Someone on reddit made a similar remark, why doesn't Elaina just threatens the Town Chief? Just think for a brief moment of the consequences on doing so. As soon as Elaina gets back on the road, the Town Chief would lash out all the shame and fear that was put on hijm by Elaina's threat onto Nino, he would beat her to death just to unload all his anger. Elaina is just a traveler, not a law enforcement character to keep tabs on the Town Chief behaving himself. The paralel to a real life situation would be a lady calling 911 because her spouse beats her without leaving any trace of domestic violence. Cops arrive at her home to investigate and issue a warning to the husband. The next call 911 gets is that there's a female corpse in that same house and the husband is on the run.

Same redditor proposed for Elaina to just take away Nino into some other country. That could easily make the Town Chief put a bounty on Elaina's head for stealing his propierty on what most likely it's a country where slavery is legal, and even the Town Chief's neighbours are totally ok with this (otherwise there would had been plenty of people manifesting their loath at the Town chief's door). That would make Elaina a fugitive along with posibly creating an international conflict into whatever country she decides to drop Nino off.

In this particular dilemma there is no right answer, it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't kind of situation. Staying away from it, was the least worse option.

Regarding to Elaina feeling obliged to return the favor on Mirarose's food and bed, it's quite clear why she does it, she got Mirarose's hospitality when she needed it the most after a long travel in a horrid wheater. Elaina's gratitude doesn't apply to Emil "bowlcut" offering food, because:

1)She wasn't hungry and she didn't ask for the food (she actually tryed to reject Emil's invitation but she was pestered by him, so she couldn't say no)

2)She had a pretty sickening experience finding out Nino was not only a slave but also she was the Town Chief's sex slave.

Lastly, warning Emil about his father's wrongful actions on Nino would had been pointless. He didn't seem like a wise character, I'd say he was aiming more to a delusional state living in his own twisted reality (he thought it was a good idea to give Nino a present of how's life out of imprisonment and eh didn't seem to think that slavery was a wrong and inhumane action)

fluroboy said:

That's more of a YOU problem, not a writing problem. You're expecting a character driven show to have an end goal where it doesn't need one because the core of the title is to experience Elaina's travels along different enviroments and different situations, and it isn't a rare concept, Kino no Tabi, Girls' Last Tour and many other similar titles involving adventure follow this principle.

I heavily disagree that shonen tittles are better written than a more thought provoking titles like Majo no Tabitabi, for the very simple fact that there are no repercutions in most shonen stories that are heavily painted as black or white. Either Battle Shonen and Adventure Shonen stories are writen in a very wish fulfilment kind of way along with typical power creep stages. Majo no Tabitabi & Kino no Tabi are great subversions of adventure titles focusing on the consequences of a main character rather than just beating any "baddies" that crosses the main character's path because that's always the right answer.

Regarding to your last point that realism is a second priority, sounds more like a personal preference of yours, not an actual fact. Different people like more down to earth and plausible situations than pure escapism fantasy. Sure, Battle shonen will always be the best selling kind of stories, but thought provoking stories are more niche and tailor made for those of us that want something different from the run of the mill.

KimurahOct 24, 2020 8:02 PM
Oct 24, 2020 8:13 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yo, i am pretty late to enter these. But, welp, no hard feeling. Its really difficult to keep up with everything xD.

Okay. The journey of Elaina continued. She lost in a ruin country that looked like in a great damage. Something must be wrong, and its matched up with her prologue of these episode, about the love story. A sad love story, actually. The world keeping up with its reality, real life reality, i mean. A messed up kingdom, with a damn king, which was not so wise in making a decisions. He sacrificed a peace of his kingdom and his soul, making his only one daughter, a princess, into a wrath. As the result? She putted up the curse and cursed everything, everyone, within the kingdom area, and demolished them all in one breath.

A sweet revenge, against any people that challenged her solid feeling. Afterall, its really difficult to see the different between the right and left. Everything in a gray area. But one thing surely right. Yeah, only love could bring the world into a doom, and these story kinda reflects the actual situation, if we are not wise enough in making a decisions. Example of the king, his decision, and the princess herself. Everyone just messed up their souls, only with a simple trouble of their peace life: a love. Magnanimity, the only thing that lost for their life, and its really such an unfortunate.

Once again Elaina is involved in a situation that makes it difficult to stay neutral. She proven that her mother ideology to avoid the danger, not getting involved was the right choice. Because sometimes all of them really such unnecessary things, especially for a traveller like her. The only thing she could do, just told the story, on balance, without leaving the contextual, of the story.

Solid episode again, as expected as Majo no Tabitabi. Whatever happened, this is just a wholesome story, and i just loved Elaina personality. She never failed to amazed me, and i hope she could learnt much from every experience she face against....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 24, 2020 8:21 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
UncleJojo said:
This show was definitely a refresher for me after the dumpster fire that was Rent-A-Girlfriend finished airing.

I can't help but laugh with your post. So i decided to quote. You were right, and now i feel healing xD.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 24, 2020 8:39 PM
Jul 2019
Opticflash said:
fluroboy said:

Respectable. I definitely see some of your perspective. Developing a more refined plot adds to the potential of creating a more involved storyline and worldbuilding. To many people, Elaina's flaws are her personality traits, but we have yet to see how those play a detailed role in the story.

UncleJojo said:

Bro, Rent-A-Girlfriend was one of the best if not the best anime of last season. Dunno what you're talking about.
It wasn’t for me personally, but too each their own.
Oct 24, 2020 8:42 PM
Jul 2019
badabass said:
UncleJojo said:

I can't help but laugh with your post. So i decided to quote. You were right, and now i feel healing xD.
I didn’t know if you were laughing at me for that post for my claim towards that show or for something else, but yeah it’s nice to share a chuckle or two on the matter. Forgive me if I misinterpreted something in any way.
Oct 24, 2020 9:16 PM

Jul 2017
Prog_upworks13 said:

Oct 24, 2020 10:08 PM

Oct 2018
UncleJojo said:
Agreeable. The aspects that I think are understandable turnoffs to this series are Elaina’s personality and the story structure. It’s a series that’s not for everyone, but it’s something that I’m still looking forward too every week especially after starting the light novel. This show was definitely a refresher for me after the dumpster fire that was Rent-A-Girlfriend finished airing. Again, I can understand your gripes with this series and you made very good points. Mad respect.

Yeah it's definitely a hit or miss type of situation. People like you love it, and people like me don't.
I just tried to make sure that I made my points without insulting the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with me.
Opticflash said:

Maybe the series will greatly improve for me as time goes on. It's entirely possible considering how much the fans of the light novel swear by it. That said I won't be watching anymore until it at least finishes airing. That way, even if I still dislike it, I'm not going to have a bad taste in my mouth once a week :P.
Kimurah said:
fluroboy said:

Someone on reddit made a similar remark, why doesn't Elaina just threatens the Town Chief? Just think for a brief moment of the consequences on doing so. As soon as Elaina gets back on the road, the Town Chief would lash out all the shame and fear that was put on hijm by Elaina's threat onto Nino, he would beat her to death just to unload all his anger. Elaina is just a traveler, not a law enforcement character to keep tabs on the Town Chief behaving himself. The paralel to a real life situation would be a lady calling 911 because her spouse beats her without leaving any trace of domestic violence. Cops arrive at her home to investigate and issue a warning to the husband. The next call 911 gets is that there's a female corpse in that same house and the husband is on the run.

Same redditor proposed for Elaina to just take away Nino into some other country. That could easily make the Town Chief put a bounty on Elaina's head for stealing his propierty on what most likely it's a country where slavery is legal, and even the Town Chief's neighbours are totally ok with this (otherwise there would had been plenty of people manifesting their loath at the Town chief's door). That would make Elaina a fugitive along with posibly creating an international conflict into whatever country she decides to drop Nino off.

In this particular dilemma there is no right answer, it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't kind of situation. Staying away from it, was the least worse option.

Regarding to Elaina feeling obliged to return the favor on Mirarose's food and bed, it's quite clear why she does it, she got Mirarose's hospitality when she needed it the most after a long travel in a horrid wheater. Elaina's gratitude doesn't apply to Emil "bowlcut" offering food, because:

1)She wasn't hungry and she didn't ask for the food (she actually tryed to reject Emil's invitation but she was pestered by him, so she couldn't say no)

2)She had a pretty sickening experience finding out Nino was not only a slave but also she was the Town Chief's sex slave.

Lastly, warning Emil about his father's wrongful actions on Nino would had been pointless. He didn't seem like a wise character, I'd say he was aiming more to a delusional state living in his own twisted reality (he thought it was a good idea to give Nino a present of how's life out of imprisonment and eh didn't seem to think that slavery was a wrong and inhumane action)

I hope you realise that arguing against the point of a redditor who made a related comment doesn't really prove me wrong. I probably didn't make myself clear enough, but when I said that in "episode 2 she couldn't threaten a fat rich dude, or even warn the boy that he might be hurting her", I was giving suggestions for a resolution. Honestly, I would have preferred to see her threaten the Town Chief, and have it worsen the situation even further. It would have both made the message clearer and more powerful, and could have lead to a better resolution. And by a "better resolution", I don't mean a happy ending. If Nino had died on camera, it would have felt a lot more "realistic", and be a more impactful scene rather than "yeah she'll probably die, I read about it in a book".
I suppose you could argue that keeping her ending "vague" allows for the audience's interpretation of events, but I don't think it works in this case. The two possibilities for Nino were "suicide", or "not suicide". And considering the hints, only the former would be a good resolution.

Kimurah said:
fluroboy said:

That's more of a YOU problem, not a writing problem. You're expecting a character driven show to have an end goal where it doesn't need one because the core of the title is to experience Elaina's travels along different enviroments and different situations, and it isn't a rare concept, Kino no Tabi, Girls' Last Tour and many other similar titles involving adventure follow this principle.

I heavily disagree that shonen tittles are better written than a more thought provoking titles like Majo no Tabitabi, for the very simple fact that there are no repercutions in most shonen stories that are heavily painted as black or white. Either Battle Shonen and Adventure Shonen stories are writen in a very wish fulfilment kind of way along with typical power creep stages. Majo no Tabitabi & Kino no Tabi are great subversions of adventure titles focusing on the consequences of a main character rather than just beating any "baddies" that crosses the main character's path because that's always the right answer.

Regarding to your last point that realism is a second priority, sounds more like a personal preference of yours, not an actual fact. Different people like more down to earth and plausible situations than pure escapism fantasy. Sure, Battle shonen will always be the best selling kind of stories, but thought provoking stories are more niche and tailor made for those of us that want something different from the run of the mill.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm a massive shonen fan, I've only really dug into the genre recently. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, and Steins;Gate are some of my all time favourites, not to mention my love of Slice of Life. Also, calling shonen "black and white" is ignoring the fact that it's very common for villains in Shonen to become allies after being defeated.

I never said that shonen titles were better written than more thought provoking titles, I said that many have protagonists (or just characters in general), that are better written than Elaina. I wouldn't even consider this anime thought provoking, all of its meaning is clear on the surface level. Just because I haven't explained each aspect in depth doesn't mean I don't understand it.

I haven't watched Kino no Tabi or Girls' Last Tour, so I can't say anything on the quality of those. But I can say that I never said I wanted a show with "an end goal", I said I wanted a show with a goal. Kino no Tabi's MAL synopsis suggests to me that Kino simply enjoys seeing the world, a goal in itself. Girls' Last Tour looks like it has the general goal of survival. Majo no Tabitabi did have a goal at first: I want to be like the witch from these stories, and travel and have adventures. My issue is that most of what Elaina has done is eat and sleep somewhere for as long as she feels, then leave. She's a very uninteresting character with no motivations or struggles.

Realism and engaging story are not mutually exclusive. When I said realism is the 2nd priority, I didn't mean that you should ignore realism entirely. What I meant was that the reason why these shonen stories are so popular, is because they instantly hook you with a likeable character with a clear goal. Of course, there are plenty of anime that break this mold.

"Different people like more down to earth and plausible situations than pure escapism fantasy." I know. I like both equally. But a good realistic story is still engaging. I don't think I need to explain this, I'm sure you know already. I'm not going to talk down to you.

I genuinely feel like you misconstrued a lot of what I said, just so you could have a strawman to argue against.

You know what? Forget it. No need to argue for the sake of arguing. Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine.
fluroboyOct 24, 2020 11:24 PM
Oct 24, 2020 10:43 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Two things:
1. I have never seen so much "wall of text" in replies on any anime series....LOL

2. This series is great. It had me so fooled into "just another cute witch growing up and having tea with the animals of the forest". Now it gets way more interesting. Sometimes dark and unexpected is just right!

Oct 24, 2020 10:47 PM

Oct 2016
Holy fuck what an amazing episode, I still think the first episode was the best so far but, this is definitely a close second. Though I am hoping for a more wholesome episode next week to you know balance it out.

Mirarose was powerful like damn, and all went according to her plan. Bruh, she went full unlimited blade works on Javalier that was awesome. Well now, Mirarose gonna leave it out the rest of her life like that. Damn, fuck society.

Man, I really like Elaina I know some of you don't but for me she's a really amazing MC and character. She'll definitely be in my top 10 characters by the end of the season.
Oct 25, 2020 12:40 AM

Mar 2012
All episodes seem kinda pointless and unnecessarily turn dark in the end. It's getting boring to watch.
Oct 25, 2020 1:51 AM

Feb 2016
deadoptimist said:
It's kinda unsettling how devoid of humanity the writing is.
Elaina chooses what to do or not to do based solely on her subjective understanding of cool, while being powerful enough for it to matter. (She thinks herself the coolest in all circumstances tho.)
And everything else is an edgy background, with people being not living beings, but experiences for Elaina to passively look at, to stand out compared to them.
But like, it's fine, it's the other, feminine take on the typical male harem superhero from LNs. Those are maybe even more sociopatic at times.

The strangest part is that all the lessons seem wrong (as others have mentioned in the thread).
In the first ep the teacher witch told Elaina that her problem was being too patient, while she was and continues to be too arrogant.
In the second ep she gave a cynical advise about being necessary alone while achieving something - but she herself had always been supported up until then, and the other girl also won because of getting her help.
The third ep was about not judging the book by its cover. But at no point Elaina noticed her responsibility in the guard's tragedy or her tendency to judge by the looks. Her "flowers = cool" was very stupid, esp since she had read about evil flowers before. And in the second half she gave the boy some bad advice, none of the good advise she easily could've given, she even withheld the crucial part about the ending of the book (again) - then simply ran away. Moreover it was unclear why the attempt of the young man to cheer his love up was necessary so bad, cause he loved her,tried to help her despite his father's wishes, her situation wasn't the same as that of the magician's sick wife. She had a chance to become free and to have a lot of happy experiences herself. Her fate wasn't predetermined, the main issue was that her boyfriend was too immature. Elaina could've easily said something about it, which would've cost her nothing, but she didn't.
And now Elaina gets involved with a mad witch because the mad witch seems pretty and cool at first. Elaina enters a warzone (so much for staying safe and noninvolvement), then violently barges into someone else's castle uninvited. There she receives hospitality, but is haughty even in front of a princess and the host, while, at the same time, being all "lol, not my problem" about the mess she has willingly flew into. She likes receiving food and shelter however. She crawls out to see the other witch fighting cause it's exciting, but when she learns Mirarose is crazy she leaves immediately, because now it's uncool. She has helped a bit, so she actually is involved in the whole crime now, but Elaina won't ever recognize it.
Tbh, Elaina seems like a bad guest. She takes things easily, it was bizarre when she asked the bottle guy whether she could open his bottle of happiness, but she gives back or even behaves properly only when she find something cute/rad.

It's a pity, I was onboard with a story about a travelling young witch with actual decent action. The show also looks stunning.
The whole way you've broken down all the episodes so far, is to put it bluntly. Bad. You've recalled them badly, and made up some stuff along the way. Heck you even mention key things and don't realize thats the point in that thing existing, ie the bottle of happiness, you're MEANT to be not sure what happens after she leaves. And your whole focus on the "cool" "not cool" thing is so weird... it doesn't even make sense.
Oct 25, 2020 1:54 AM

Jun 2019
The show is turning into a dark show pretty quickly. Compared to the first couple of episodes, the later ones are so much dark. I love the show. The story is pretty fun and the animation is so beautiful.
Felt pretty sad for the princess.
Oct 25, 2020 1:57 AM
Mar 2016
Wow this anime is really something
Just look at those many tl;dr comments
Oct 25, 2020 5:12 AM
Sep 2016
Even though this isn't action focus anime it still has great fight animation (even better than Jujutsu this season until now) I will look forward to studio C2C upcoming projects.
Oct 25, 2020 6:26 AM

Feb 2019
Kimurah said:
RayReynolds said:

No, your blindsided and biased stance is an opinion, not a fact.

Her personality hasn't changed at all throughout all 4 episodes so far. Her motto has always been to travel and stay out of trouble. Trouble has found her in different occasions, but she adapts to the situation[/b], some of them allow her to help out without "getting burned" by her own actions (Saya's case in episode 2). Here in episode 4 she helped out Mirarose because she thought Mirarose was a victim, not to mention her involvement intially was just to help setup a trap and nothing more. She felt compassion for the "transient" Mirarose and she even said out loud that she wanted to see her live thru this situation (perhaps she thought it would be a similar situation like Saya's were the risks were minimal to acceptable) Most likley if Elaina had known Mirarose's original plan, she would had bailed as soon as she had regained her strenght and left her alone to deal with her father.

You using regular human traveler logic, like you might seen in kino’s journey but unlike kino Elaina has magic and in many cases the means. She is powerful and indeed too powerful for the types of stories they seem to want to tell. If she was dead set on avoiding trouble she would be smarter in her travels, not stop in a city where ash is raining from the sky,be more cautious in her interactions. Damn it in other shows the often very annoying protagonists try to help everyone and learn a bitter lesson when they cant, both behaviors reflect on the characterization of the character. The “you could make it worse for a person you are helping” is a typical lesson but also kind of runs counter to the spirit of travel while Elain never we get told lesson why nothing was done. This series might as well be Elaina reading brochures about all of these places instead.

Kimurah said:

oh, of course! it is more important to investigate case of a town with some 20 house where missing one slave. But an entire kingdom fell into disaster and nobody cares??? @AdolZeppeli you dont think there is guild for “justice witches” but you are sure there are international cops in this setting of disconnected city states more concerned with catching a kidnapping witch but not destroy a field of mind controlling plants in 20+ years?
You know what? Forget it. I've noticed that the problem is that the writing is too stupid. It's a light novel? uh? that explains why it's completely silly.
Oct 25, 2020 7:09 AM

Feb 2016
@RayReynolds

You do realize the reason Elaina stopped in the ash city was because it was getting late and she was tired and hungry?

Why do you think Elaina must act in EVERY scenario she gets in? Last time I checked this was called "The Journey of Elaina" not "The day I became the strongest witch" nor "The helper witch" either.

Funny you mention "an entire kingdom fell into disaster and nobody cares" maybe they "cared" and got calcinated through that monster before they could even know what even happened, and, on top of that, it didn't matter, because Mirarose succeeded on it anyway and will probably die alongside the entire kingdom, which then will probably serve as a scavenger place.

Maybe people cared about that mind controlling plants but they couldn't deal with it. Maybe people cared about the slave but didn't have the means or the determination to solve the problem. Things are easier said than done, you can easily point out the conflict and give a solution, but doing so it's a complete different matter. Sure, Elaina has the means with her magic, but that doesn't means she has the determination to intervene on affairs that doesn't concern her which might also bring consequences to her and her family.

On this episode she asks if helping Mirarose gives her anything, and it didn't give her anything, after all, her help was not needed.
~Blackwall
Oct 25, 2020 7:56 AM

Jun 2015
why did the show turn so dark? I thought it would be like little witch academia. I don't hate it tho.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

404 by DahoomFoxy »»
May 24, 11:11 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2020

139 by DahoomFoxy »»
May 24, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2020

605 by Teeeely »»
May 20, 6:49 AM

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.