Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 28, 2018 12:51 AM

Nov 2016
scruffykiwi said:
GangsterCat said:

fuck off japan with your "character development" cutting hair bullshit
dropped 0/10

Cutting your hair to indicate visually a change in something is part of the cultural landscape of Japan, along with eating shaved ice, visiting shrines, and setting a task before confessing which all happend in this episode. Its not “bullshit”. If she had done it to indicate a broken heart I would have rolled my eyes a little but that’s no t why she did that it. Also how can you drop a show on the last episode??
the person doesn't know how to appreciate good anime ending, it's useless to talk logic with them, nothing will go through that brain of his/hers.
Mar 28, 2018 12:57 AM

Nov 2016
someone explain the out box message now im think bunch of theories in my head

as AOTY id say maybe #3 i have gaukken babysitter and yuru camp ahead of this for me
Mar 28, 2018 12:57 AM

Oct 2008
Farewell Antarctica!
Hearing the full ED was so awesome and satisfying!
This show can really be AOTS! cuz of drama well done!
Why the heck did they wasted that money using it like a treasure!?!? i'm gonna have a lot of regrets if I was the one who did that!
5/5.
8/10.

WOW! 91.76% loved it! (this last episode!)

Mar 28, 2018 3:14 AM

Feb 2018
HeroSoulReaperX said:
someone explain the out box message now im think bunch of theories in my head

as AOTY id say maybe #3 i have gaukken babysitter and yuru camp ahead of this for me

The outbox message was there when Shirase found the laptop. Probably her mother had taken a picture of the aurora and wanted to send it to Shirase so she could understand her love for Antarctica. But she forgot it at the base and went back to get it, but she got lost in the blizzard and died. That's what makes it so tragic: She died for wanting to give Shirase some joy for Antarctica, but instead Shirase "held a grudge" to the place because it had taken her mom.

Then Gin saw the message and send it to Shirase to fulfill her mother's wish (which had been already fulfilled, as we can see by Shirase's final speech to the team.
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 28, 2018 4:20 AM
Aug 2017
Can I ask you guys a question. How was that message from her mother sent, that picture of the aurora. I don't quite understand that part
Mar 28, 2018 4:34 AM
Sep 2010
Great show - sweet, funny and touching. I loved all the girls and their interactions. Definitely one of my fave anime series this year.
Mar 28, 2018 4:47 AM

May 2017
Best girl

Kimari > Hinata > Yuzu > Shirase

Shirase is a fucking idiot leaving the money just like that lmao

9/10
Mar 28, 2018 5:01 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaaahhhhhhhh... its over... it's over... I don't want to say goodbye... but I know I have to now, as the journey is over.

Mad House... they did it. If someone ever asked me what I think the perfect anime is, I'd have to tell them it was Non Non Biyori BUT THIS IS LITERALLY RIGHT THERE, Sitting next to Non Non Biyori like the perfect diamond it is, so I could also say Sora yori mo Tooi Basho as well. This was flawless in my eyes. The visuals and soundtrack were gorgeous. The characters down right fantastic, AND I MEAN EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER, wasn't a single person here I can say I even slightly disliked. And everything was just so much fun, there wasn't a single point in this anime when I wasn't enjoying what was going on. I couldn't give this a score under a 10/10... And I'm only giving it a 10/10 because I can't go any higher.

This. Anime. Is. Perfection.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Mar 28, 2018 5:02 AM

May 2015
Previous episode was much stronger, this one felt more like a not really needed wrap up. But a very good show nevertheless. One of the best storytelling I've seen in while, liked how attentive this story was about the details and not overwhelming at the same time.
Mar 28, 2018 5:36 AM
Jan 2017
An amazing episode on its own, but as a finale, it was the best I have seen since "Sakura Quest".
I enjoyed the show so much that now it is over I feel like I am in a "show-hole" and it is nice.
Who else is waiting for a Blu-ray release?
Mar 28, 2018 6:39 AM

Sep 2016
A satisfying finale for a wonderful anime. The character development, OSTs, inserts, comedic moments, tear-jerking moments, how realistic this anime is (real life problem wise) and especially the PENGUINS are on point! I'm glad I picked this up early this season and watched this weekly. You will be missed Sora Yori. My Tuesday evenings will never be the same anymore.

I'm happy and even more satisfied that they included a bit of after story for the team when they got back to Japan. Nice way to end it. Cheerful.

Also Shirase confirmed best girl this season~

Edit: Definitely my AotS! 10/10
RaiRyeMar 28, 2018 6:42 AM
Mar 28, 2018 7:35 AM
Sep 2016
what a nice finale,
shirase short hair is good and that last dialouge in the end is pretty nice
9/10 AOTS for me
Sakuya3rdMar 29, 2018 7:15 AM
Mar 28, 2018 7:39 AM

Nov 2012
skyfaller2 said:
AHHHHHHHH!!! It is so good that the episode felt like it passed so fast, such a touching end, I love thid anime. Wanna cry now cuz it ended. 😭😭😭

Don't cry now coz it ended, be happy coz it happened. :)

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 28, 2018 8:02 AM

Apr 2013
Not gonna lie, I cried so hard. That was a good ending for this masterpiece. I'll never forget the weird facial expressions, the sad yet beautiful songs, the drama, the misadventures, and finally, the whole cast. Thank you for making this show, Madhouse.

Mar 28, 2018 8:29 AM

Mar 2018
I like to think, that when Shirase's Mother sent her that email of the aurora, she was saying "this is awesome, but I really hope you can see the real thing someday" and when Shirase says "I know" she is really saying "I did Mom, I made it, I saw the real thing." It feels so much more impactful when you think about it this way; In a way, Shirase fulfilled her mother's wishes. Maybe I'm imagining things, but this is how I will choose to think of it. ;-)

I do find it odd that Shirase completely missed that email when she was looking at the laptop. I guess she was just too overwhelmed?

Also Kimari's narration at the end, those parting proverbs about taking a journey... great stuff. Really glad I got to watch this anime. :-)
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Mar 28, 2018 9:39 AM

Jul 2017
That scene where Gin cried stung my heart a little.
Definitely aots!

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Mar 28, 2018 9:43 AM

Apr 2012
The show had such a strange premise (cute girls going to antarctica!) that I had to see it just to see how they'd pull it off.

And they did it so damn well.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Mar 28, 2018 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
It'll take too long for me to put all my feelings about this show into text so I'll just say that this show is perfect.

10/10
Mar 28, 2018 10:15 AM

Sep 2017
aots for me :3 insert song scenes were perfect
Mar 28, 2018 1:27 PM
Apr 2016
AOTS, a masterpiece, 10/10, it would be too long to describe how much I've enjoyed this anime.
I'll never forget about it, it was truly inspiring <3
Mar 28, 2018 3:32 PM

Jan 2013
Loved it to the last bit but still retarded Shirase why do you leave the money?

Maybe because she plans to go back?
Mar 28, 2018 3:36 PM

May 2017
ConfusionHaze said:

Well, I'm sure she plans to come back, but I don't think that's why she left it. The money is more symbolic to her of her determination and her struggles to reach that place where her mother now rests, and she left it much like one might leave flowers on the gravesite of a loved one.

Mar 28, 2018 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
ituhata said:
ConfusionHaze said:

Well, I'm sure she plans to come back, but I don't think that's why she left it. The money is more symbolic to her of her determination and her struggles to reach that place where her mother now rests, and she left it much like one might leave flowers on the gravesite of a loved one.

I know, I thought that too, but 1.000.000 yen is a lot of money T.T

And it costed her a lot of effort to get it, and what she experienced could never be bought with all the money in the world, and she was prepared to let go of the money since the begining, but still...

She could've given them to me X)
Mar 28, 2018 3:43 PM

May 2017
ConfusionHaze said:
ituhata said:

And it costed her a lot of effort to get it, and what she experienced could never be bought with all the money in the world, and she was prepared to let go of the money since the begining, but still...

Or me, I need a downpayment on my next vehicle.

Anywho, that comes out to about 9k USD. Alot, but not a whole lot. A funeral and a gravetstone can run about that much, and when you think of it like that, it makes some sense.

Mar 28, 2018 7:42 PM

Nov 2011
I would say that was one of the best endings in an anime i have seen in a while. Yeah everything must come to an end eventually but all loose threads were tied up. That ending with Megu had me like "Oh shit!" Considering this anime is about self-discovery it was cool for her to go on an adventure on her own since she was inspired by Tamaki.

I liked that Shirase left the money in the original Station as well. That was pretty cool.

Overall...10/10 easily.

ituhata said:
ConfusionHaze said:

Or me, I need a downpayment on my next vehicle.

Anywho, that comes out to about 9k USD. Alot, but not a whole lot. A funeral and a gravetstone can run about that much, and when you think of it like that, it makes some sense.

The gravestone theory is very interesting, and makes a lot of sense. I personally liked her leaving the money.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 28, 2018 7:56 PM

Jan 2011
This really was just a well executed show. High enjoyment factor and never fell out of rhythm.
Mar 28, 2018 8:20 PM

Jul 2016
A very character focused show, main characters that have a very distinctive personalities as if they're portrayed as real people. They developed throughout the series. Animation and soundtrack fits the atmosphere of the show. Gj! Madhouse

Another aspect of the show that I really like are the qoutes of every girls especially Shirase's and Kimari's, very inspirational.

Would like to see another original show like this on the future.

NamelessDude13 said:
Can I ask you guys a question. How was that message from her mother sent, that picture of the aurora. I don't quite understand that part
oh that part, Gin sent it to shirase using Takako's laptop, that's why the sender is named mom.
Mar 28, 2018 8:30 PM

Sep 2016
Makuro said:
What a spectacular show, so inspiring and fun to watch.

I hope to experience a one of a kind adventure like them.

What an entertaining experience all throughout every episode characters were awesome their chemistry together molded really well OST was great loved the ed and op already added to ya boys playlist, easily top 3 this season hope later on this will still be highly regarded as one of the best sol this year had to offer for us <3
Facta Non Verba
Mar 28, 2018 9:35 PM
Sep 2015
Okay, added this anime series to my favorites on my account! But what kept on bothering me while watching the series is did the only the four of them (maybe except for some ship cruise) occupied the whole ship as they went back to Australia?
Mar 28, 2018 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Beautiful show. I'm going to miss this so much. The characters were so wonderful, and the whole setting and vibe of this show.. Gah. I just loved it so much. Thank you Madhouse.
Mar 28, 2018 10:53 PM
Mar 2018
Glad they ended on such a positive note :)
Anime of the season for me.
Mar 28, 2018 11:24 PM

Nov 2012
lack-in-username said:
Okay, added this anime series to my favorites on my account! But what kept on bothering me while watching the series is did the only the four of them (maybe except for some ship cruise) occupied the whole ship as they went back to Australia?

There was no winter crew that replaced the summer crew so yeah apart from the crew they are the only ones on the ship.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 29, 2018 12:30 AM

Sep 2015
I think this might be the best series I've seen yet! Perhaps not necessarily in enjoyment, but certainly in quality. With the amount of detail put into this series, it definitely warrants a rewatch. There are so many subtleties packed into this episode and the series as a whole that I can't even begin to go through them.

AOTS? Sorry Yuru Camp, but it might be. AOTY? Yama no Susume: Third Season has a high bar to pass.

Please tell me this is a Saki reference.

Is that you, Linus Torvalds?
Mar 29, 2018 12:36 AM

Nov 2012
bucket3432 said:

Maybe, just replace the Pocky with a cigarette and you're on to something.

Mar 29, 2018 1:06 AM

Jun 2013
bucket3432 said:
I think this might be the best series I've seen yet! Perhaps not necessarily in enjoyment, but certainly in quality. With the amount of detail put into this series, it definitely warrants a rewatch. There are so many subtleties packed into this episode and the series as a whole that I can't even begin to go through them.

AOTS? Sorry Yuru Camp, but it might be. AOTY? Yama no Susume: Third Season has a high bar to pass.

Is that you, Linus Torvalds?
don't forget steins gate for AOTY
Mar 29, 2018 1:08 AM
Feb 2017
Dang. It was gonna be hard to top EP12 for sure. But still, what a show! It deserves all the praise it can get. It would have been even better if they did like a mini-epilogue with a time skip of the gang making their next journey to Antarctica. But what the heck, that's just preference at that point. Everything they've shown, I'll take it. Top 10. No scratch that. Top 5 of the year for me. I'm sure of it. ^_^
Mar 29, 2018 5:33 AM

Jan 2013
Funny thing I had a "nightmare" this night after the finale(I say nightmare but it's more like a bad dream, but to be honest all my dreams in the last weeks have had a negative atmosphere to them while not being scary per se) in which I was in a fucking artic base, trapped by ice and snow with some others survivors and my little sister was left outside somehow and it was implied that she died.

Fuck my mind.
Mar 29, 2018 6:18 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing Finale. This Series easily my AOTS tbh... Ties with Yuru Camp but I like this series more.

10/10
Mar 29, 2018 7:56 AM

Sep 2015
Jaeger07 said:
bucket3432 said:

Maybe, just replace the Pocky with a cigarette and you're on to something.
Yeah, I was thinking it might have also been an Akagi reference, but I haven't watched it yet so I couldn't say anything about it.

Sanbaiman, though. That's even higher than her last hand.

bucket3432Mar 29, 2018 8:08 AM
Mar 29, 2018 9:51 AM
Jan 2018
Still a bit disappointed about the story tho. I expect shirashe mother still alive since her said 'my mom is waiting'. Still, great anime regardless
Mar 29, 2018 12:11 PM

Feb 2018
maikogs said:
Still a bit disappointed about the story tho. I expect shirashe mother still alive since her said 'my mom is waiting'. Still, great anime regardless

I will dissappointed if her mother still alive. It's not make sense after 3 years missing in the middle of ANTARTICA she still alive.
Mar 29, 2018 6:37 PM

Apr 2017
The ending was top-notch. I am very glad they went back in Japan safely. The girls were alright. This is one of the most heartwarming anime I have ever watched and well-made from Antarctica. The last scene turned me goosebumps. I love it so much.

10/10
Mar 29, 2018 8:12 PM

May 2015
maikogs said:

That's your own fault really. Can't blame that on the show. It was obvious from the start that her mom was dead. She was lost and alone in one of the most uninhabitable places on Earth. If you really expected her to survive there for three years, then I don't know what to tell you.

Mar 30, 2018 2:47 AM

Oct 2007
Gonna miss this show so much...
One of the best I've seen this year.

An amazing adventure by Tamaki, Shirase, Kimari and Yuzuki. I enjoyed every episode of this.
Mar 30, 2018 9:22 AM

Sep 2017
9/10, AOTS, I cried, etc.

I recommend as a follow-up watch Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, a fascinating and philosophically inclined documentary not so much about the content of Antarctica as it is about the kind of people who are drawn by it:

I like to say, if you take everybody who's not tied down they all sort of fall down to the bottom of the planet, so that's how we got here, you know. We're all at loose ends, and here we are together. I remember when I first got down here I sort of enjoyed the sensation of recognizing people with my travel markings. I was like, hey, these are my people. PhDs washing dishes and linguists on a continent with no languages.
Currently playing: Persona 3 FES, Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~
Mar 30, 2018 9:51 AM

Mar 2018
ConfusionHaze said:

I think she left it to close that chapter of her life for good. She came to the realization in episode 12 that she was using her quest to get to Antarctica to avoid really feeling the loss of her Mother; I think she finally realized she needed to leave all that behind, let go of her Mom, and move on. Sometimes the biggest break is the best, even if it is just symbolic, when we are trying to change our thinking and the way we live.

I thought it was a really nice touch. ;-) Also the other girl's shock that she basically "threw away" a million yen... heheh Also can you imagine when one of the winter team finds it... hahaha someday I want to walk into a dark remote corner of the world and find an envelope full of money labeled "Treasure" hehehe
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Mar 30, 2018 10:12 AM

Dec 2012
At least we didnt have to "find" her dead mother frozen in a glacier. I was afraid that might happen. I liked this show at times but it kept shooting itself in the head by pushing the kawai over and over, so that it lost its power early on. The animation and art were superb and worked well except for the grating orange used as the team logo colour. that was a poor choice. the story had its moments and i have to admit i had no idea how the premise would last for an entire series but it did and there were times i actually related to and was interested in the girls. Some of them. Most were never really filled out and handled well, I can imagine the poor VA's talking to each other...how in the heck can i go thru the entire series doing THIS girl..when big parts are missing. That was I fear in the end the overall feeling i had, there was a lot that should have been there missing. There should have been more of a resolution , WHY did her mother die, beyond maybe getting blown away or frozen by mistake.... that really has no glory to it at all. and the beauty of the night sky ,well that was well done but it hardly carried the show. An almost but not quite Compared to Yuri Camp which also used an unusual art style and a small scale story, this was a flop.

Mar 30, 2018 10:23 AM

May 2017
CrisGer_San_AA said:
At least we didnt have to "find" her dead mother frozen in a glacier. I was afraid that might happen. I liked this show at times but it kept shooting itself in the head by pushing the kawai over and over, so that it lost its power early on. The animation and art were superb and worked well except for the grating orange used as the team logo colour. that was a poor choice. the story had its moments and i have to admit i had no idea how the premise would last for an entire series but it did and there were times i actually related to and was interested in the girls. Some of them. Most were never really filled out and handled well, I can imagine the poor VA's talking to each other...how in the heck can i go thru the entire series doing THIS girl..when big parts are missing. That was I fear in the end the overall feeling i had, there was a lot that should have been there missing. There should have been more of a resolution , WHY did her mother die, beyond maybe getting blown away or frozen by mistake.... that really has no glory to it at all. and the beauty of the night sky ,well that was well done but it hardly carried the show. An almost but not quite Compared to Yuri Camp which also used an unusual art style and a small scale story, this was a flop.

Ignoring a large swath of this run on paragraph, I just wanted to tell you since you missed it, that her mom died trying to retrieve the laptop they found at the observatory site.

Mar 30, 2018 2:42 PM

Jun 2016
10/10 <3 T___T

Best of Winter 2018
tnk you MADHOUSE
EG99
Mar 30, 2018 4:04 PM

Dec 2016
Easily the best show of Winter 2018 and for a show literally nobody was talking about or really even knew about that is a pretty crazy feat! But boy am I glad I watched this emotional moe motivating show because it sure was a fantastically fun time
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM

» Am i the only one who dropped this after 4 episodes?

Damazien - Jul 28, 2020

20 by MathMols »»
Feb 3, 1:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.