Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 16, 2018 11:08 AM
Apr 2018
So if I'm reading all this correct, waifu Makise Kurisu is not in this new season? I refuse to accept this reality
Apr 27, 2018 2:26 PM

Feb 2008
Kurisu even apologised for involving Okabe...

I had previously spoiled myself regarding the plot twist. However, that did little to lessen the impact of it.

Alas, I hope to find some solace in future Steins;Gate 0 episodes, at least in the very end. It cannot be as bleak as it seems, it cannot end like this.

Still, it is darkest before dawn.
May 7, 2018 11:34 AM

Dec 2015
Worst episode out of all the old stuff (before S;G 0). I know it is necessary as link to S;G 0 - but there was too much recycling of just the old scenes from the series. And the new stuff was a bit annoying/boring (when it was dark and Okarin heard the voices ... near the end ... which took too much screen time).

Would have been better to just give a short explanation at the beginning of S;G 0 in the first episode there ... I guess.
May 14, 2018 6:34 AM

Nov 2015
Luthandorius said:
Worst episode out of all the old stuff (before S;G 0). I know it is necessary as link to S;G 0 - but there was too much recycling of just the old scenes from the series. And the new stuff was a bit annoying/boring (when it was dark and Okarin heard the voices ... near the end ... which took too much screen time).

Would have been better to just give a short explanation at the beginning of S;G 0 in the first episode there ... I guess.
I disagree.

The PTSD in this episode is way better than all of the first 5 eps of 0 combined.

That's how you portray a true dark atmosphere.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2018 8:40 PM
Dec 2017
Best Waifu is dead now T - T
May 21, 2018 11:31 PM

Mar 2018
MrJotaku said:
Anyone have a link to where I can watch this episode?

Here you go @ MrJotaku.
https://www.masterani.me/anime/info/1663-steinsgate-kyoukaimenjou-no-missing-link
Aug 17, 2018 1:10 AM

Aug 2017
Sooo if Mayushii didn't slapped Okabe and the video mail from the future wasn't showed, he never returns to save Kurisu. I think that this alternative Okabe is the same from the video from the future...
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 8, 2018 6:19 PM

Aug 2008
Didn't see this before starting Steins;Gate 0 and honestly I don't think it really matters if I never saw it. Half or more is just a repeat of ep 23 from the original series and the rest is told to us in SG 0. I don't feel like the viewer gains much from this special tbh. I also have a hard time believing that Suzuha wouldn't have shown that video to still try and convince Okabe to give it another go. Would only be once after all, the time machine wouldn't have any fuel for infinite attempts like he had with the time leap device...
Nov 9, 2018 3:17 AM

May 2016
gswelcome said:
I also have a hard time believing that Suzuha wouldn't have shown that video to still try and convince Okabe to give it another go.

That video hasn't existed yet in this worldline. Actually this episode isn't exactly the continuation of the original series (1-22). This worldline happened BEFORE every worldline in the original series. But this Okabe also experienced Alpha worldlines, and have completely the same memories as the Okabe in the original series, except one thing: This Okabe never got the video in the first episode of the original series.
If you saw Steins;Gate 0, then you know that
-
Dec 25, 2018 10:44 AM

Mar 2016
An alternative from episode 23...

All it took to reach the perfect Steins; Gate worldline was just a single slap from Mayuri and her words of encouragement. With that, they could've lived the perfect life they should've had with Kurisu...
Just by not slapping Okabe and not encouraging Okabe to endure another try at saving Kurisu, this happens... An alternative and imperfect worldline where Kurisu is apparently some AI in a computer monitor...

Oooh... I love Okabe's new all-black outfit and his new touchscreen smartphone now! If the actual Kurisu who fell in love with him saw him right now, she'll probably faint XD

See you all in the imperfect worldline that is Steins; Gate 0!
El Psy congroo...
Dec 26, 2018 12:06 PM

May 2016
ShadowZ_AnimeZ said:

All it took to reach the perfect Steins; Gate worldline was just a single slap from Mayuri and her words of encouragement.

Not just that... He didn't get the video mail in this worldline too. And the video mail contains the solution, as you know.
-
Dec 26, 2018 1:06 PM

Mar 2016
SheevPalpatine said:

Not just that... He didn't get the video mail in this worldline too. And the video mail contains the solution, as you know.

I think to get that mail, he has to accept that he can still succeed in saving Kurisu. But if he already gave up by then, the mail will never exist in the first place.
Dec 26, 2018 1:14 PM

May 2016
ShadowZ_AnimeZ said:
SheevPalpatine said:

I think to get that mail, he has to accept that he can still succeed in saving Kurisu. But if he already gave up by then, the mail will never exist in the first place.

Well, you will find out the truth soon.

But I have to say, that Okabe got the message on July 28th in the worldline where the original episode 23 takes place. So he got it almost 3 weeks before that the slap happened ;)

In this worldline, where episode 23beta takes place, he didn't get the message on 28th July, because... You will find out ;)
SciADV_ManiacDec 26, 2018 1:24 PM
-
Jul 1, 2019 5:39 AM

Dec 2018
I guess this is the Okabe that gave the video mail.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Sep 9, 2019 9:18 AM

Jul 2015
I like how in this reality Okabe couldn't handle anymore failures after discovering he killed Kurise himself and has turned bit depressive, he probably never forgives himself for it

Jan 20, 2020 12:08 AM

Dec 2009
After completing the remastered visual novel as Steins;Gate Elite while re-watching the anime for a 4th time ... the cliff hanger ending makes no sense to me.

I'm aware that this is the timeline where Okabe gives up and fails to reach Steins Gate where WW3/etc. happens but I don't get how he understands what to do or why Kurisu is even seen on his tv screen.
[Edit: I just read the synopsis of the anime... So Kurisu will be made as an AI. ... Damn. Interesting.]

In any case, no matter.
I'll start playing Steins;Gate soon while simultaneously watching the anime.
waalex11Jan 20, 2020 12:17 AM
Apr 1, 2020 5:57 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was great introduction to Steins;Gate 0 in my opinion. Of course its not better than original 23rd episode (at least for me) but its still great and doesn't have many flaws or anything like that.
May 25, 2020 6:17 PM
Nov 2019
23 episode is better :p
Jun 4, 2020 12:13 PM

Jun 2017
I agree with some people here! They should've just let it end at episode 24 just the way it is. Still! The anime is such a legendary that even if Okabe would just do his lame mad scientist act for a recurring, I wouldn't mind!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jun 29, 2020 10:24 PM

Jan 2018
Man, this alternate ending is quite dark. I can't handle this one. Kurisu is really better alive in the official Episode 23.

But, it is quite sad to see Okabe abandoning his mad scientist skills due to this.
Sep 11, 2020 9:06 PM

Mar 2020
It’s nice to see Okabe not be Chuunibyou and focus on college.
Sep 21, 2020 4:18 PM

Oct 2019
I was frankly a bit disappointed by how this alternate episode 23 was handled. Its first 2/3 were nearly identical to the original and then at the 15:40 point we have the divergence : Suzuha, instead of Mauyri, tries to slap Okarin and Mauyri intervenes to protect him; rather than giving him a stern pep talk after that slap (which I thought was quite startling and almost out of Mauyri's character) she comforts and consoles Okabe in a more traditional Mauyri-chan way.

The disappointing bit was the complete and utter silence of Suzuha right after that. Did she have a video message from the future 33-year old Okarin or did she not? We have no idea since instead of an explanation, a hint or a suggestion we were just shown the screen fade to black... If she did then why wouldn't she show it to Okabe? It would make no sense for her to give up that easily, particularly if she had a video message. If she didn't, perhaps because the world line of episode 23β was slightly different and the Okabe of 2025 didn't think of recording a video message, shouldn't this have been shown or hinted?

By how easily Suzuka gave up are we supposed to have been given a very vague hint that she had no video message or did the creators want to leave that bit for Steins;Gate 0? I have no idea but either way I thought that crucial scene was handled quite poorly and was also rushed. The episode deserves a 7/10 in my opinion, while the original 23th episode was easily a 9/10.
Oct 8, 2020 5:11 AM

May 2016
Sharpedon said:
I was frankly a bit disappointed by how this alternate episode 23 was handled. Its first 2/3 were nearly identical to the original and then at the 15:40 point we have the divergence : Suzuha, instead of Mauyri, tries to slap Okarin and Mauyri intervenes to protect him; rather than giving him a stern pep talk after that slap (which I thought was quite startling and almost out of Mauyri's character) she comforts and consoles Okabe in a more traditional Mauyri-chan way.

The disappointing bit was the complete and utter silence of Suzuha right after that. Did she have a video message from the future 33-year old Okarin or did she not? We have no idea since instead of an explanation, a hint or a suggestion we were just shown the screen fade to black... If she did then why wouldn't she show it to Okabe? It would make no sense for her to give up that easily, particularly if she had a video message. If she didn't, perhaps because the world line of episode 23β was slightly different and the Okabe of 2025 didn't think of recording a video message, shouldn't this have been shown or hinted?

By how easily Suzuka gave up are we supposed to have been given a very vague hint that she had no video message or did the creators want to leave that bit for Steins;Gate 0? I have no idea but either way I thought that crucial scene was handled quite poorly and was also rushed. The episode deserves a 7/10 in my opinion, while the original 23th episode was easily a 9/10.

Suzuha didn't have the message, because 0 Okabe is the Okabe who will create it.

Steins;Gate 0 takes place "before" Steins;Gate. In terms of worldline iteration chronology.
-
Nov 15, 2020 7:19 PM
May 2020
mmm... so this is the "bad ending", I see. Interesting. They didn't show much in this tho, just that Okabe becomes an edgy boy with depression, that fit really suits him really good tho, I bet Kurisu would've went crazy if she saw him like that...😥
Jan 20, 2021 8:35 PM

Apr 2019
el. psy. congroo.

Okabe can't catch a break. This time around he has to try and find a way to save Kurisu..

Feb 14, 2021 8:28 AM

Jul 2008
People complaining about this being identical to the other episode must have watched this soon after watching the original series. I watched Steins;Gate back in 2011 or so, I couldn't tell they were using the same animation, so it's a really good refresher to get into the sequel. That seemed to be the whole point of this.
Mar 17, 2021 12:52 AM
Feb 2021
Wow. Great episode.
Jun 21, 2021 10:53 PM

Jan 2017
Solid episode that shows the divergence to S;G 0's Okabe, the Mayuri consoling scene feels more impactful in the VN but it's fine here as well.

Let the depression route begin
Jul 2, 2021 11:59 AM

Apr 2018
the difference between S1EP23 AND S1EP23B
- okabe doesnt get a message from his future self
- he couldnt save kurisu
- he's depressed af
- he goes to college now

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 16, 2021 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
I ultimately prefer the original episode 23 but this was masterful as well. Somehow I found a way to tear up at makise's death again. And all the original stuff at the end I really like, it seems this will be the story of the okabe in the video that motivates him to get to Steins gate.
And that ending, my jaw dropped when makise appeared.
10/10, just as good as any Steins gate episode.
Jul 21, 2021 9:47 PM
Dec 2017
And this ladies and gentlemen is how you make a convoluted worldine even more convoluted.

Aug 20, 2021 2:47 AM
Aug 2021
i like the original ending better tbh
Aug 22, 2021 11:31 PM

May 2016
F1REPHOENIX said:
i like the original ending better tbh

This "ending" (it's not an ending at all) had to happen for the original to be possible.
-
Aug 23, 2021 7:42 AM
Aug 2021
thanks person above me
Oct 15, 2021 12:25 AM

Jan 2021
I didn’t except this alternative to end in this way in this one he doesn’t get a video from his future self on how to save Kurisu instead this is like the path his future self had to go through before he figured out a way to save Kurisu and send the video to his past self
Jun 17, 2022 8:34 AM

Jan 2020
So it looks like this just more or less connects Steins;Gate to Steins;Gate 0? It's just the ending where he doesn't reenter the time machine, which leads to 0. Why is this an OVA? This information was already more or less detailed in 0. Is there going to be some unique scenes in this? I guess we'll see.

I haven't watched the original Steins;Gate in awhile, but halfway through this episode and it seems pretty much like a faithful copy of the original episode.

It looks like there are some unique scenes in the last few minutes. That being the case, I feel like I would've liked this a whole lot more if that'd be flipped. They should've condensed his refusal to go back into the time machine to the first 5 minutes and given us 15~ minutes of unique scenes to serve as a proper transition and prologue to Steins;Gate 0. Either way, this didn't need to be an OVA. If anything it looks like it's either a promotional tool for when 0 was getting ready to air, or else it's just a cash grab.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 18, 2022 3:28 PM

May 2016
commonxreaction said:
So it looks like this just more or less connects Steins;Gate to Steins;Gate 0? It's just the ending where he doesn't reenter the time machine, which leads to 0. Why is this an OVA? This information was already more or less detailed in 0. Is there going to be some unique scenes in this? I guess we'll see.

I haven't watched the original Steins;Gate in awhile, but halfway through this episode and it seems pretty much like a faithful copy of the original episode.

It looks like there are some unique scenes in the last few minutes. That being the case, I feel like I would've liked this a whole lot more if that'd be flipped. They should've condensed his refusal to go back into the time machine to the first 5 minutes and given us 15~ minutes of unique scenes to serve as a proper transition and prologue to Steins;Gate 0. Either way, this didn't need to be an OVA. If anything it looks like it's either a promotional tool for when 0 was getting ready to air, or else it's just a cash grab.

This was released back in 2015 to promote the visual novel of Steins;Gate 0 (you probably know that S;G's source material is a visual novel).

Yes, the first half of the episode is the same as the original one.
-
Feb 18, 2023 3:25 PM
Jan 2021
insane omg 10 quand mem
Sep 12, 2023 8:39 PM

Dec 2009
Original Thoughts of 2020 before playing the visual novel:

Oct 4, 2023 4:34 PM

Dec 2020
I kept checking to see if I was on the right episode cause the first half was all the same as a previous one.

But this felt like more or less a prologue episode
Apr 18, 7:23 PM

Aug 2020
goddamn this is kinda depressing to watch
I'm just a nobody, ignore me.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Funimation

DaMall - Nov 2, 2017

12 by Jaces_Sanctum »»
Apr 22, 2019 12:07 PM

» Should I watch 23β?

HumbertoZero - Jan 10, 2016

7 by Draconix814 »»
Apr 11, 2018 3:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.