Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 23, 2015 6:17 AM

May 2009
Epic
Sep 23, 2015 7:23 AM

May 2013
Gersen said:
Two ridiculous MMO characters calling out attacks with names like "Triplet Maximize Magic, Reality Slash" is something that is just impossible to take seriously.

They were not calling the names of attacks, this is not a hot blooded shounen action anime reminescent of Fist of the north start, he was saying the names of the spells or skills he used, as a narrative aid for us the viewers. I admit it would be more realistic to simply chant in an arcane (as in gibberish or latin) language or just be silently chanting names, but most people would say they don't understand why he stood still a good couple minutes while Ainz body emitted light of diferent colors. Perhaps you would also prefer madhouse to emit his inner monologues because you can't take seriously a character that doubts himself.
Sep 23, 2015 7:48 AM

Jul 2014
I don't understand why they couldn't just add a fucking narrator through the whole anime. It would have made things so much better, instead of having the characters yelling the spell names and stopping to have a little chat before throwing another spell and repeat.
Sep 23, 2015 8:08 AM

Dec 2010
Dat arsenal of buffs tho.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2015 8:38 AM

Nov 2011
Haha, epic.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 23, 2015 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
It was okay, there were some pretty cool moves but I expected Ains to be way more powerful than this tbh. The final attack was a little underwhelming as well.

Well either way I'm curious to see how exactly is he going to win.
Sep 23, 2015 9:35 AM

Nov 2011
Gersen said:
The fights in Chu-2 were better and less chuuni than the ones in this series.

Two ridiculous MMO characters calling out attacks with names like "Triplet Maximize Magic, Reality Slash" is something that is just impossible to take seriously.

Aha! That's exactly it! I was wondering why the battle is rather lame. Its what you expect kids to say while fighting each other with imaginary power.

Sep 23, 2015 9:49 AM

May 2013
Arcanix said:
I don't understand why they couldn't just add a fucking narrator through the whole anime. It would have made things so much better, instead of having the characters yelling the spell names and stopping to have a little chat before throwing another spell and repeat.

Animes used to have a narrator, who died a slow and painful death for spoiling the plot and stating the obvious >_<
Sep 23, 2015 10:11 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
You can't end it like that. D:

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Sep 23, 2015 10:25 AM

Aug 2013
Finally comes the long awaited fight between Ainz and Shalltear, but I thought it lacked enough details about the blows and explanations, as the skills and powers were invented at the moment, well, it would be really difficult to explain everything, but at least the main used blows could be explained to facilitate understanding, well, missing only one episode, I look forward to see the outcome of the struggle and the end of this adaptation ..
Sep 23, 2015 11:07 AM

Jul 2015
Can someone tell me at what point in the light novel I should start reading when the anime ends?
Sep 23, 2015 11:28 AM

Nov 2010
Well, that was... umm...
Fight was great, but there wasn't much movement in it. It was mostly two of them standing in place and exchanging magic attacks. Now, I understand that it's based on RPG, but still, anime could use more benefit of its medium as it's not a game.Like this.

Plus, I have a feeling whole time that something is lacking in anime, though I can't pinpoint exactly what. Still, it was an enjoyable watch.

Blankbite said:
That number of spells though...

Ok, let's see... I have not read the LN, but I'll try to guess the effects of the spells; mostly buffs and debuffs, rather than actual combat spells whose effect we saw.

EDIT: Some effects were corrected; old guesses are striked through.
AuriochSep 23, 2015 1:17 PM
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Sep 23, 2015 11:57 AM

Feb 2014
Haha, I was constantly smiling when Ainz was spamming his buff, kinda reminded me of the good old days in MEGATEN.
I gotta say, it was a very interesting fight, though the names of the spells are kinda dumb.
Wouldve been cool if Ainz says after the winning " The only who can beat me is me ".
Sep 23, 2015 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
Aurioch said:
Ok, let's see... I have not read the LN, but I'll try to guess the effects of the spells; mostly buffs and debuffs, rather than actual combat spells whose effect we saw.

Triplet Magic, Greater Magic Seal - Prevents target from casting spells
Triplet Maximize Boosted Magic, Magic Arrow - Projectile damage spell

The triple stream of arrows didn't activate immediately, and Shalltear used a fair number of spells, so I'm thinking Magic Seal was used to turn Magic Arrow into a kind of trap, like the D&D spells Sequencer or Spell Trigger.
Sep 23, 2015 1:13 PM

Oct 2011
Aurioch said:
Well, that was... umm...
Fight was great, but there wasn't much movement in it. It was mostly two of them standing in place and exchanging magic attacks. Now, I understand that it's based on RPG, but still, anime could use more benefit of its medium as it's not a game.Like this.

Plus, I have a feeling whole time that something is lacking in anime, though I can't pinpoint exactly what. Still, it was an enjoyable watch.

Blankbite said:
That number of spells though...

Very lame when you think about how we know what a majority of these due. Would it kill them to explain what some of these are? All they did was just name out a bunch of spells and a shiny new colour glow on the character. Terrible.
Sep 23, 2015 1:35 PM
Jul 2015
Gov said:
Very lame when you think about how we know what a majority of these due. Would it kill them to explain what some of these are? All they did was just name out a bunch of spells and a shiny new colour glow on the character. Terrible.

When reading the LNs i never felt like the characters always had to blurt out the spell name when using magic.
Yes, the spell names mostly where mentioned, but it made sense for the LN since either:
...you could refer to them being used somewhen before. So you could relate to what they do.
...you get a rough idea what the spell does from the name followed by a description about its effects.

It would had worked way better for the anime if they just had thrown stuff at each other (its easy to display a holy spell / a fire spell) and left the unimportant other spells out.

And about Shalltears armor...
Looked kinda inflated and too smooth? Like a power ranger outfit.
Yeah budget n' shit... but thinking bout the model kinda makes me sad.

Sep 23, 2015 1:41 PM
Jul 2014
They waited up to episode #12 with an opponent who can be (really) dangerous for Ainz? Somehow anti-climatic...

Shalltear is something like the Starscream of Overlord. Peroroncino is an idiot for making her THAT strong.:p

kyle8998 said:
Ainz is ugly

Well, he's a friggin skeleton... ;)
SkoellwolfSep 23, 2015 2:19 PM
Sep 23, 2015 2:15 PM
Oct 2013
Gov said:

I think they already did explain them. Otherwise the anime would have been better without saying every single spells. But this is not a battle shounen but more of a dark fantasy seinen and an RPG on top of those so shouting the name of the spells seems justified to me. No...it actually made the battle scene much cooler.
Sep 23, 2015 2:52 PM
Jul 2014
This episode kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, I don't understand what all complaining is about, maybe it's because of my outside observation having not read the light Noval but still
Sep 23, 2015 4:11 PM

Jul 2015
Beast as episode! Shalltear is such as badass in her Valkyrie armour, and her powers are unbelievable!!! I think Momonga is going to win this though, because during the credits, it is implied that he planned all what happened in the fight... Lord Ainz Ooal Gown is a MONSTER!
Sep 23, 2015 4:37 PM

May 2015
fighting style still adopted from games with dat mp hp
Sep 23, 2015 5:23 PM

Oct 2014
terminador_2397 said:
Can someone tell me at what point in the light novel I should start reading when the anime ends?

Volume 4
Sep 23, 2015 5:30 PM

Aug 2013
those buffs...
Sep 23, 2015 5:52 PM

Feb 2015
terminador_2397 said:

First volume.
Doesn't make sense start reading 4th volume because you watched the anime adaptation.
Take your time easy. You'll enjoy reading from the beginning.
Sep 23, 2015 6:04 PM

Jun 2014
Way too many Skills and Spells in one episode XD
Sep 23, 2015 6:48 PM
Oct 2012
Darklight0303 said:
How do you illustrate AIR dying?

The air turns slightly opaque, from clear to a tint of yellow, and dust materializes in the air and falls to the ground.
Sep 23, 2015 6:56 PM

Dec 2014
The action look very bad. I can't comfort myself when watching it
Sep 23, 2015 7:37 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This was quite the battle....Even with all that preparation, Ainz is still having a hard time O_O

I gotta hand it to Shaltear for being able to go toe to toe with this guy, and I'm very impressed by both sides and their displays
Sep 23, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2008
Why would there be a narrator for their spells? Or for that matter, skill activations in general (as "spells" are also skills, but Martial Arts are skills that are not spells)?

Even in the novels the Martial Arts have to be said each and every time it's activated. That's why adapting Brain's fight with Shalltear "fully" would end up being 20 minutes of Brain saying all of his Martial Arts again and again and again, in different orders, in different combinations, with different timings, with the frustration and exasperation mounting steadily...for nothing.

In volume 7 for example, someone's been shouting his spells already because he's fearing for his life.

And you want a narrator to shout for him instead?
entropy13Sep 23, 2015 8:32 PM
Sep 23, 2015 9:21 PM

Apr 2012
too much spell spamming lmao

Sep 23, 2015 9:24 PM

Mar 2008
Zeally said:
At least it doesn't look like Rokka's derp art and paintit animation gg mate.
Sep 23, 2015 9:46 PM

Sep 2013
entropy13 said:
(as "spells" are also skills, but Martial Arts are skills that are not spells)?

spells are magic, they use MP
skills are skills, they don't really use MP but they do have a limit on how many times they can be used per day.
martial arts are like skills but for this new world's warriors, nazarick can't use martial arts (for now atleast)
Sep 24, 2015 1:10 AM
Oct 2007
Poorly executed.. coming from a non LN reader. Boring fight and mediocre animation.. Not so good direction.. Madhouse usually do not disappoint but this episode is supposed to have so much potential once again..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2015 1:36 AM

Jul 2012
That was pretty awesome. The last spell and it's ticking to completion was nice with the audio. Curious to see why Ainz was battling with what seemed to be a simple robe?
Sep 24, 2015 2:22 AM

Apr 2014
What was the lie they were talking about?
Sep 24, 2015 2:22 AM

Jul 2008
ichii_1 said:
entropy13 said:
(as "spells" are also skills, but Martial Arts are skills that are not spells)?

skills are skills, they don't really use MP but they do have a limit on how many times they can be used per day.
martial arts are like skills but for this new world's warriors, nazarick can't use martial arts (for now atleast)

You are making a misinterpretation.

Martial Arts are skills. Spells are skills. Using an item (typically a scroll) with a spell "stored" in it is also a skill, called "using a magical item".

Whether it uses up your stamina, your MP, or the "charge" of the item, it doesn't matter, they are all skills.
Sep 24, 2015 2:31 AM

Dec 2013
I wasn't disapointed at all to be honest.. did not read the LN though so i can only Rate what i've seen so far and it was totaly acceptable..
Besides i think Shalltears Valkyre Outfit is nice and fits her well.. it's way better than her Vampire Form
The fight can't be that fast obviously because they have to explain at least a little bit of what they can or are going to do like the Healing Abilties of Shalltears Lance.. otherwise you wouldn't get shit i suppose

I'm looking forward for the Last Episode and the Finale but actually the Show dropped since Episode 9.. would've rated about 8 but now it's hardly a 7 actually
I don't know why it has come that way.. some people said it rushed.. otherwise i can't compare..
Maybe i'm just reading and adopting to much critic but if i reconsider i'm still sure it wasted potential

Hopefully there will be a 2nd Season nevertheless.. It's not bad at all

sadpwner said:
What was the lie they were talking about?

That Ainz is going to fight Shalltear because of the Reasons he mentioned to Albedo.. but in fact he just don't wanted to see them Fight each other so he decided to do it without any help.. even if he knew that this matchup is not in his favor
ViousSep 24, 2015 2:35 AM
Sep 24, 2015 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Overlord? More like Overhyped piece of chuunis.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Sep 24, 2015 7:39 AM

Dec 2013
Ckan said:
Zeally said:
At least it doesn't look like Rokka's derp art and paintit animation gg mate.

y u do this
Sep 24, 2015 7:48 AM

Jul 2009
ernst said:
Well... the Guild membersSupreme Beings did make the NPCs with wild fantasies... Momonga was going all yuuta(Chuunibyou...) when he encountered his creation, Pandora's Actor.

I'm sure all the NPCs were made by their preferences or chuuni-fantasies. You can't blame them though; everyone wants to be able to do things they cannot.
Sep 24, 2015 7:50 AM

Sep 2013
entropy13 said:
ichii_1 said:

You are making a misinterpretation.

Martial Arts are skills. Spells are skills. Using an item (typically a scroll) with a spell "stored" in it is also a skill, called "using a magical item".

Whether it uses up your stamina, your MP, or the "charge" of the item, it doesn't matter, they are all skills.

How is an item a skill? maybe the method to put it in the item but we don't what method they use.

Spells aren't skills, ainz even says his magic will trump her skills.
Her whole build is mostly skill based instead of spell based.

Which reminds me, this was also cut but shalltear used a secret skill that consumes MP in order to lower magic damage which is why her MP is out despite barely using it.
Sep 24, 2015 9:32 AM

Jul 2015
Nezperdian said:
terminador_2397 said:

First volume.
Doesn't make sense start reading 4th volume because you watched the anime adaptation.
Take your time easy. You'll enjoy reading from the beginning.

Thanks!
Sep 24, 2015 11:15 AM

May 2013
luccide said:
Poorly executed.. coming from a non LN reader. Boring fight and mediocre animation.. Not so good direction.. Madhouse usually do not disappoint but this episode is supposed to have so much potential once again..

You can't talk about said potential unless you read the light novel, a "it could have been better" reply would be meaningless since ALL adaptions can be better, even those that get international awards.
Sep 24, 2015 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
phantom346 said:
You guys expect too much, ALL RIGHT! No other anime studio would have done this right AT ALL!
The censoring would have been worse than Prison School! Just be happy there's blood. Seriously, you're all acting like spoiled children.

Are you sure?

Look at how Passione treated Rokka.

Now look at this.

Now look back at how Passione treated Rokka.

Madhouse attempted (and failed) to try fit a whole volume in 3 episodes. Wat?
"Hi!"
Sep 24, 2015 2:52 PM

Apr 2008
YEEART said:
phantom346 said:
You guys expect too much, ALL RIGHT! No other anime studio would have done this right AT ALL!
The censoring would have been worse than Prison School! Just be happy there's blood. Seriously, you're all acting like spoiled children.

Are you sure?

Now look at this.

Madhouse attemoted (and failed) to attempt a whole volume in 3 episodes. Wat?

Rokka whose sales didn't increase all that much according to the latest figures? Bad choice for an example
Sep 24, 2015 2:53 PM

Jul 2014
Darklight0303 said:
YEEART said:

Are you sure?

Now look at this.

Rokka whose sales didn't increase all that much according to the latest figures? Bad choice for an example

Sales means fuck all when it comes to how a studio treats the original source and to adapt it correctly.
"Hi!"
Sep 24, 2015 3:05 PM

Dec 2013
Darklight0303 said:
YEEART said:

Are you sure?

Now look at this.

This just in, sales = quality of a show. Wow.

Stop being dumb.
Sep 24, 2015 3:16 PM

Nov 2013
ernst said:

lol haven't even watched this episode yet, but have to say I like this comment.
Sep 24, 2015 3:19 PM

Sep 2013
Have this feeling that Ainz will win and somehow Shaltear will be back as a guardian.
Sep 24, 2015 3:25 PM

May 2013
robis798 said:
Darklight0303 said:

This just in, sales = quality of a show. Wow.

Stop being dumb.

You forgot to lift your pinky finger and exhale smoke while saying so. In layman terms, in you opinion fans in japan are dumb and therefore they are throwing their money into Overlord, which in your opinion is a lackluster adaption aka low quality.

You could not be farther from the truth.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.