Forum Settings
Forums

Should people with serious inheritable disabilities be allowed to reproduce?

New
Should people with serious inheritable disabilities be allowed to reproduce?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 10, 2015 5:52 PM

Aug 2013
AnnoKano said:
The answer to "Should _____ be allowed to reproduce?" is always yes.

Mother and son both consenting, probability of imbreeding issues in their off spring though. They intend to keep having children after their first.

Oh wait...we frown on that.

Brother and sister.
50 year old man and 15 year old girl
Pensioners in their 80s who will probably die in childbirth killing both.

Why not.
Mar 10, 2015 6:04 PM

Oct 2012
Although 'no' is the answer to the bulk of this question, cross-breeding humans and chimpanzees would be fine.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Mar 10, 2015 6:05 PM

Mar 2013
Spooky_Love said:
AnnoKano said:
The answer to "Should _____ be allowed to reproduce?" is always yes.

Mother and son both consenting, probability of imbreeding issues in their off spring though. They intend to keep having children after their first.

Brother and sister.

Why not.
That's not really a fair argument.

People don't want inbreeding because of the mental and physical disabilities a kid could be born with, those disabilities usually have to be paid for by taxpayer dollars. That's the only reason why people get up into other's business about health concerns.

But you can't actually stop people from having sex without greatly reducing the amount of freedom that people have over their lives. Forced sterilization costs tax payer money too. Along with testing to find out if you have genes that can cause disabilities when paired with certain other individuals, or investigations to find out if you really are having sexual relations with your family member.

In the end it's just better to let people reproduce how they want, but give them enough education about it (in my case from my family about inheritable diseases) so that they can make a good choice and be prepared to take care of a kid that may be disabled.
Mar 10, 2015 6:13 PM

Oct 2012
Ginpika said:
Spooky_Love said:

Brother and sister.

Why not.
That's not really a fair argument.

People don't want inbreeding because of the mental and physical disabilities a kid could be born with, those disabilities usually have to be paid for by taxpayer dollars. That's the only reason why people get up into other's business about health concerns.

Letting someone with " serious inheritable disabilities " reproduce can carry far greater risks than inbreeding, so it's a pretty fair argument.

it's not the " only reason " anyway

Mar 10, 2015 7:23 PM

Sep 2013
Gene Therapy is becoming more and more practiced, the opportunity to correct such abnormalities may be possible. I think we should allow the course of technology to correct such burderns, we cannot impose who gives birth and who doesn't because it goes against freedom.
Mar 10, 2015 7:25 PM
Jan 2013
Yes because we now have the technology to remove or disable inheritable disabilities from their offspring.
Mar 10, 2015 7:29 PM

Aug 2014
They get sent to MAL
Mar 10, 2015 7:31 PM

Dec 2009
No one should be allowed to reproduce. Humanity should muster up some decency and dignity for once, collectively sterilize themselves, and fade away. But people are awful, so here we are. Did I say that here already? Maybe.
Mar 10, 2015 7:33 PM

Oct 2012
Theaterofhope said:
we cannot impose who gives birth and who doesn't because it goes against freedom.

we already have many laws which 'go against freedom'
pretty much all of them do that

do what you want where it's your own life involved, but when you're imposing suffering on a child to satisfy your own primal desires, then it is okay for people to oppose your freedom... for the benefit of everyone else's

Mar 10, 2015 7:38 PM

Apr 2009
They should, however; many people I've met with debilitating conditions are often vehemently against reproducing themselves...
Mar 10, 2015 10:58 PM
Apr 2011
No. That's probably the most selfish thing someone could do. They obviously never thought of or simply don't care about the quality of life their child would have. If they want to have kids they should adopt. Having children should be viewed as a privilege, not a right.
Mar 10, 2015 11:19 PM

Feb 2015
We would be better off and far more advanced and intelligent if humans where to become asexual and have test tube babies with the ability to alter their genetic sequences and take care of any inherent abnormalities and flourish the planet with healthy humans.

I think its primitive how the species is hellbent to play genetic Russian roulette with their offspring and couldn't care less about the possible retardation, disabilities and abnormalities. Also imagine all the serial killers and rapists and realize that its a few genes give or take from being a normal human.
Mar 10, 2015 11:21 PM

Aug 2014
Zeally said:
MechaKiryu said:
No because then you get people like me. Would you really like that?

i'm glad you agree that you should have been aborted ~
I'm just patiently waiting for the day I die.
Mar 10, 2015 11:21 PM

Feb 2014
nah, don't want to fuck up the next generation and instead let the disease die with them

Mar 11, 2015 2:44 AM

Aug 2013
ReaperEXE said:
They should, however; many people I've met with debilitating conditions are often vehemently against reproducing themselves...

Because they have more sense than the social justice warriors that forget that we already have plenty of laws stopping people doing what they want yet seem to think of this as an alien concept when it comes to creating life.
May 6, 2015 2:24 PM

Mar 2015
No, there is strength in purity. And by allowing weakness to live on we will damage the human race in the long run. If shit hits the fan we need a strong human race, that can live on.
May 6, 2015 2:29 PM

Jul 2014
yea everyone has the right to reproduce
May 6, 2015 2:43 PM

Mar 2015
OG_Gawd said:

Yeah but should they have the right?

I mean reproducing, knowing that your child will be a disabled freak is kinda selfish. Why not adopt a healthy child?
May 6, 2015 3:30 PM

Aug 2013
OG_Gawd said:

I don't think that everyone should have the right to reproduce at all. I think that people have the right to do anything that they want, so long as it doesn't injure or affect others negatively in any way, and this is why I think that giving birth to a child destined to pain and suffering is bad. Why would you give birth to something that you know will have a lot of suffering and a significant reduction of quality of life? I don't think anyone should have the right to subject someone to that. It's like cursing someone before they're even born, and the worst part is that you didn't even have to do it. It's actually a bit fucked up if you think about it.

This is also true with parents that are incapable of caring for a child, or are in a position where they won't be able to raise one properly. Reproduction is definitely not something that everyone should be capable of doing, but sadly that's not how this world works.
MoogMay 6, 2015 3:44 PM
Sep 26, 2015 3:50 AM

Apr 2014
No they should not.
Sep 26, 2015 4:14 AM

May 2015
?

Yes.
Sep 26, 2015 4:44 AM
Jul 2018
There is an inheritable "disease" that runs in my family and I'm the only one of 3 boys that got it. My parents knew the risks and I don't blame them for it. If they are prepared to take responsibility for the child then they are fine to reproduce in my book.
Sep 26, 2015 5:00 AM
Mar 2013
Multiple sclerosis runs in my family although there is a very low chance that I have it. I think it's fine as long as the parents are willing to take responsibility.
Sep 26, 2015 8:49 AM

May 2013
I think its fair to say the prospective parents should weigh up the pros and cons and decide for themselves.

The right to reproduce is a basic right for all living things.
Sep 26, 2015 9:25 AM

Jul 2015
I don't think they should. It may be fucked up, but it would be for the better of the race. I think it'd be ?selfish? to do it.
Sep 26, 2015 9:27 AM

Aug 2009
Isn't the world already overpopulated?

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 26, 2015 10:33 AM

May 2015
All reproduction is immoral and cruel in a world where euthanasia is unavailable.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 26, 2015 10:34 AM

Dec 2013
Can we just not let them reproduce and have the adopt healthy children?
Sep 26, 2015 6:22 PM

Aug 2013
MrHawkeye said:
Can we just not let them reproduce and have the adopt healthy children?

That would be a responsible and logical choice, but people with serious diseases and conditions seem to enjoy creating offspring in their own crippled flesh and blood. I mean, I can understand why you would want to have your own biological children, but it seems a bit stupid and selfish to give birth to kids that will have a painful and difficult life ahead of them. It seems a bit cruel to give birth to someone like that.
Sep 26, 2015 6:34 PM

Jun 2014
To me it makes more sense for them to adopt and the more dangerous and likely the disability is to transfer to their children the more sense it makes to adopt, but in the end it's their decision. I just feel like it seems a little bit selfish to have a child under those conditions.
Sep 26, 2015 7:08 PM

May 2011
That's pretty much up to them, it's their life. In my opinion, it's better to be born with certain disability than not to be born at all.
Sep 26, 2015 7:11 PM

Jun 2015
Sure, they should be allowed to reproduce. However if the child is disabled to the point where it is verifiably not able to benefit society it should be euthanized.
Sep 27, 2015 7:40 AM

May 2015
Donger_Senpai said:
Sure, they should be allowed to reproduce. However if the child is disabled to the point where it is verifiably not able to benefit society it should be euthanized.

If a person reaches a mature age and realizes his life is pointless, he should be euthanized too.

Time to stop keeping people alive who don't want to stay around.
Sep 28, 2015 8:51 PM

Aug 2013
Satan-sama said:
That's pretty much up to them, it's their life. In my opinion, it's better to be born with certain disability than not to be born at all.

I disagree that it's their life. They are deliberately creating a new life that will have to suffer the consequences of being born with potentially life-altering conditions and diseases that will make their existence painful and difficult, just because of their parents' selfishness.

I personally think it's better to not give birth to offspring that will have severe disabilites.
Sep 28, 2015 8:55 PM

Jun 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Donger_Senpai said:

If a person reaches a mature age and realizes his life is pointless, he should be euthanized too.

Time to stop keeping people alive who don't want to stay around.

What's relevant is whether or not an individual contributes to a society, not their own personal beliefs.
Sep 28, 2015 9:02 PM

Jun 2015
Only if they're willing to take care of & love their children if they ever have these disabilities.
Sep 28, 2015 9:03 PM

Nov 2014
Crazy ass MAL users thinking they have a say in another person's life. xD
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=69140 - Click here to be my friend! x3

Rodac has proven 5 separate times that will result to unwritten rules to justify a moderation. His judgments should be researched and accepted only after due diligence to reference his rules. I support his removal from the staff.
Sep 28, 2015 9:03 PM

Dec 2014
Latent said:
In a world where millions of children have no home, it's inherently selfish for anyone to have a child. Another human being to consume scarce resources, on a earth that is overburdened already.

i like the way you think , took the words right outta me.
Is this where you live?

Sep 29, 2015 2:04 AM

Aug 2011
Democracy said:
I say no, for the same reason Incest is taboo. Being born with a disability IS a tragedy. The child WILL go through hell no matter how loving his/her parents are. Many people with disabilities(not all) need help because they can't take care of themselves so having a child WITH disabilities on top of that is just too much.

What's wrong with adoption? Yeah the kid won't look like you but it will still love you without blaming you for giving him bad genes.

Same. Also, if I may add, especially mentally retarded. I personally know a whole family line of severely mentally disabled who just keep on breeding generation after another, all literally the textbook definition of a retard. The mother who was pretty challenged had three kids, all of them at least partially challenged and the most retarded of them all proceeded to have two kids, both heavily retarded and one of them with violent tendencies towards small animals. People like that should be locked up, away from the society and definitely refrained from breeding more retards into this world.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Sep 29, 2015 10:13 AM

May 2015
Magical-Soul said:

Considering we don't live in complete isolation, everything we do affects others' lives. Everything we say is 'say in another person's life'. Telling someone not to steal is a say in another person's life.
Sep 30, 2015 7:54 AM

Aug 2013
Magical-Soul said:

Nah, we're just criticizing other people's decisions. I think that deliberately giving birth to an abominable baby is worthy of that.
Sep 30, 2015 2:28 PM

Aug 2015
Can't they just adopt a healthy child instead of intentionally giving birth to one that will have to pay for their parents' selfishness? Istg.
Every person takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world. Except me, of course!
Sep 30, 2015 2:30 PM

May 2012
No one should be allowed to reproduce, let the human race go extinct. Please.
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Sep 30, 2015 2:57 PM

Sep 2014
No.
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Sep 30, 2015 3:15 PM

Nov 2014
Detroit_Iron said:
No.

Apr 12, 2016 8:16 AM
Apr 2016
It depends, If a certain disability can be treated with Science and Technology, and that disabled person can pay for it, why not? But if it's a disability that renders one completely useless, and where Technology can't help, then absolutely no.

I think these disabled people isn't as "disabled" as we think they are. Remember, their are countless number of "disabled", yet talented people out there. Being disabled doesn't mean he/she is overall less capable than an ordinary human -- A blind person is likely to be better than a normal person in hearing, sense of touch, imagination, etc.. So yes, they may be uncapable of certain things, but definitely better than an average person on certain things.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» are nukes are the reason ww3 didn't started?

Cielord - 11 hours ago

14 by Zettaiken »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Soft Cats or Furry Cats?

KittenCuddler - 2 hours ago

4 by bevarnow »»
55 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

843 by zzz »»
1 hour ago

» Do you like to judge people?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 6

21 by Nette »»
3 hours ago

» Is hating on Japan cool on the internet? ( 1 2 )

Ahegyao - Apr 16, 2020

92 by Ahegyao »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.