Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2014 2:02 PM

Sep 2014
Farewell to Weapons form Short Peace is a current example of what I'd like to see more of. Designs and concept from the manly age of anime, with great digital technique and high resolution picture.
Sep 15, 2014 3:30 PM

Aug 2013
I think story is main factor, animation and style are secondary. Hadashi no Gen, Otaku no Video, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, is very good examples. Who said old anime sucks, he's from shit tier.
Sep 15, 2014 3:35 PM

Apr 2014
121th said:
I think story is main factor, animation and style are secondary. Hadashi no Gen, Otaku no Video, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, is very good examples. Who said old anime sucks, he's from shit tier.
are* very good examples. (I'm studying for English teacher so I will be a grammar nazi, don't hate me.

And you named a few but forgot the best: Great Teacher Onizuka!!
Sep 15, 2014 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
Bean_Bandit said:
Their loss. They're missing out on some truly visionary animation and storytelling. Especially in the feature lengths and OVAs. Even throwaway "trash" like Genocyber is better animated, better drawn, and has more inspired lunacy than most of what you can find today. And forget about even trying to hang with Patlabor 2, Royal Space Force, Jin Roh, Mononoke Hime, Magnetic Rose etc.

If we are talking about movies and OVAs, I'd say that Mind Game, Summer wars and about every Hosoda, 5 centimeters per second, The wind rises, etc. can very perfectly match those anime classics as works of artistic significance. And there's also the typical cheap, exploitative OVA from the 80s and early 90s. It's easy to state the superiority of an era when you forget about bland shit like Baoh or the godawful Roots search.
Sep 15, 2014 4:36 PM
Sep 2014
Fist of The North Star is still to be rivaled with to this very day!!!
Sep 15, 2014 4:42 PM
Jun 2014
Big 3 is the oldest i would probably look at because of my love for the show rather that the animation. I dislike DBZ and thought it looked bad even remastered and other stuff older. Im sure theres a lot of good series out there but unless they re release in a way like sailor moon is the only way id watch em. People are different though, not everyone should be expected to have the same opinion.
Dem anime hipsters tho πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Sep 15, 2014 4:44 PM
Jun 2014
LithiumGrin said:
Fist of The North Star is still to be rivaled with to this very day!!!

Thats an example of a series Im avoiding because of the animation lol. I tried to watch it but my eyes burned.
Sep 15, 2014 4:45 PM
Jun 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
121th said:
are* very good examples. (I'm studying for English teacher so I will be a grammar nazi, don't hate me.

And you named a few but forgot the best: Great Teacher Onizuka!!

Lol grammar nazi and you forgot to close the brackets in your sentence ^.^
Sep 15, 2014 4:48 PM
Sep 2014
You mean you can't handle the mullets and bland 80's colors!?? Haha I understand has a very good story line though in my opinion.
Sep 15, 2014 4:50 PM

Mar 2013
You'd think given the overuse of moe that people would be more amenable to character designs where the eyes don't make up 2/5ths of their face.

Then again, they can just watch Gundam Unicorn or Zankyou no Terror for that.
Sep 15, 2014 4:57 PM

Jun 2008
You are not exactly that much better for hating on someone because of their preferences.
Sep 15, 2014 5:21 PM

Jan 2009
fst said:
You'd think given the overuse of moe that people would be more amenable to character designs where the eyes don't make up 2/5ths of their face.

Then again, they can just watch Gundam Unicorn or Zankyou no Terror for that.

You'd be still selling them the frail bishonen shota of ZnT. Good luck with that if they're coming from Cobra, Spike and Batou.
OkiuraSep 15, 2014 5:37 PM
Sep 15, 2014 8:27 PM

Jul 2010
I've personally haven't seen a lot of old anime but I have a few things to say about it.

This is going to be one of those longer post.
I used to be in a phase that I did find the people who evaded old anime like a plague due to the animation as "close-minded". At that point, I've tried to persuade a few friends to watch some anime that isn't even considered old in my book. Especially one friend labelled everything five years old to be old and almost never gave them a chance. I just kind of gave up on the topic and thought they will just miss out some of the (not even) old anime.

I would have to admit that I have a tendency to go watch new anime rather than an old one (90's or prior to that). If they had similar genre and a similar score, I would without a doubt go with the newer anime.

Though animation does matter to a certain point, it wouldn't be bad enough to be treated like a horrifying experience from watching old stuff. Animation does matter, but only to the point (to me) that would bring a good anime to an even better one. Like adding fruits, cream or decorations to a cake. A cake by itself taste amazing already! ^^

I got a little comment to say after thinking about this topic a little. Just kind of like a theory or a hypothesis. This guess would take place in the near future (maybe 20+ years?). The titles that are popular now like Steins Gate, Clannad: After Story, etc, and the ones mentioned by ShortCircuit-kun. They will be considered old by a significant amount of people, but would they receive the same treatment? The animation quality for the ones said above are amazing in many ways, meaning that the animation quality shouldn't be a problem anymore. Would some anime be treated as just an "old anime" and be thrown aside? Though I do believe that some of the anime popularity would be an all time thing.
Sep 15, 2014 9:03 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
people dont like watching old animation cause it looks old, they'd probably watch it if it was remastered or something though
Sep 15, 2014 9:05 PM

Mar 2013
You can't remaster 80's hairstyles though.
Sep 15, 2014 9:06 PM

Sep 2013
This topic sure seems to come up regularly. I know I've said before that I am surprised by how much the old vs. new debate seems to matter in this community. In other areas of popular culture that I have encountered, it doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

I have never avoided old stuff; if anything, I have a tendency to seek it out. When I was growing up, I listened to the music of my parents' generation (late 1950s/1960s) because I thought it was better than that of my own (late 1970s/1980s). As I got older, I looked backward, discovering the music of my grandparents' generation and before. Anime is only different from this in that I find that a lot of the recent material is actually good. Whether it is old or new, if I think an anime film or series is largely successful in whatever it is trying to do, I'll be satisfied. I've enjoyed watching anime from the 1940s and the 2010s, and I won't limit myself to one or the other.

If animation quality drove my choices, I would probably avoid most anime; this simply isn't its strong point. I find almost all recent and old anime (and, for that matter, television animation from other countries) to be lacking in this department, although I think it has improved, on average, in recent years. Character designs and backgrounds, on the other hand, are often excellent. The best Hollywood studios got animation right in the 1940s, and hardly anybody since then has had the budget to do better. (I know this viewpoint will be controversial; judging animation quality is a highly subjective task.)

I'm sure today's big hits will, in ten or twenty years (or more), be considered old and decrepit by many in the fan base of that time, but old stuff will always have its fans. Just as I sit here listening to some great records by Helen Shapiro (if you know who she is, you get some points) and consider watching an episode of Mahou Tsukai Sally or Gatchaman, somebody in 2040 will be browsing an anime-related forum (or whatever the futuristic equivalent is), listening to Amy Winehouse, and trying to decide whether to watch Steins Gate or Clannad: After Story. And on that forum, the great old vs. new debate will be raging. Some things never change.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sep 15, 2014 9:06 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
fst said:
you can remaster anything if you try
Sep 15, 2014 9:07 PM

Mar 2014
Let them hate it, they can have their own opinion.
Sep 15, 2014 9:58 PM

Jul 2012
JOAOAA said:
fst said:
you can remaster anything if you try

Exactly. Look at JJBA's lol
Sep 15, 2014 10:12 PM
Feb 2014
I do like fairly newer stuff a little more but that's just coincidental when it comes to my favorites. I do like several older shows but maybe it's just that the oft-talked about ones are less enjoyable to me.

But hating an anime because of its age isn't really the brightest thing imo, totally agree with that.
Sep 15, 2014 10:17 PM
Mar 2011
tthey ob them selves of alot of very good anime and evne more so with manga
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 15, 2014 10:18 PM

Jul 2013
I don't mind anything from the 90s but I can't watch anything older than that.

I'm sorry if my preferences bother you. But art style matters to me.
Sep 15, 2014 10:19 PM
Oct 2012
Everyone has their opinion...
Despite some of the amazing stories old anime have, I find some of them harder to watch because of the animation. That's just how it is. Don't get me wrong I still watch them, its just I watch newer stuff more.
Sep 15, 2014 10:20 PM

Nov 2012
Old anime does not have enough moe compared to new anime. In all seriousness, I enjoy old school anime as much as the recent anime. I am very tolerant of art quality too.
Sep 16, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2007
JOAOAA said:
people don't like watching old animation cause it looks old, they'd probably watch it if it was remastered or something though
Remastered cel/film anime from before 2000 can look great on Blu-Ray, potentially better than ~1999-2007 digipaint anime originally made in SD. But while high-res film rescans can create some pretty good-looking 720p/1080p anime, they can't change 4:3 content into 16:9 without huge expenses or destructive changes. And that's a major stumbling block for the present-day "must have shiny-looking HD anime that fills my whole screen" crowd. Even though nobody hated on the 16:9 anime of the early/mid-00s for not filling their 4:3 screens...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Sep 16, 2014 11:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Zalis said:
JOAOAA said:
people don't like watching old animation cause it looks old, they'd probably watch it if it was remastered or something though
Remastered cel/film anime from before 2000 can look great on Blu-Ray, potentially better than ~1999-2007 digipaint anime originally made in SD. But while high-res film rescans can create some pretty good-looking 720p/1080p anime, they can't change 4:3 content into 16:9 without huge expenses or destructive changes. And that's a major stumbling block for the present-day "must have shiny-looking HD anime that fills my whole screen" crowd. Even though nobody hated on the 16:9 anime of the early/mid-00s for not filling their 4:3 screens...
I don't think anyone can deny that it is a bit annoying having black straps along the sides of your monitor due to having to watch 4:3 format :/
if you had a monitor with that kind of resolution it'd be less distracting
Sep 16, 2014 1:14 PM

Jun 2012
HaXXspetten said:
I don't think anyone can deny that it is a bit annoying having black straps along the sides of your monitor due to having to watch 4:3 format :/

It really isn't that big of an issue, you get used to it in like 10 minutes and if you're focusing on the show it's even less of a "problem" if at all.

Subtitles at the bottom of the screen is more of a "distraction" than the evil black bars
Sep 16, 2014 2:33 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Kaimon said:
HaXXspetten said:

It really isn't that big of an issue, you get used to it in like 10 minutes and if you're focusing on the show it's even less of a "problem" if at all.

Subtitles at the bottom of the screen is more of a "distraction" than the evil black bars
well of course it's not a huge deal, but you'd still rather not have them there

..how are subtitles distracting though? o.O
I mean you *want* those to be there
Sep 16, 2014 4:15 PM

Jul 2012

Yes, pick the most worst looking characters for the new category like they represent all of the new anime characters.
Sep 16, 2014 5:57 PM

Oct 2013
I don't go for old anime, but it has nothing to do with content. In fact, I'm inclined to believe that some of the old anime have vastly superior content and drawing quality.

However, what I can't stand is the style of the drawing.
Sep 16, 2014 7:33 PM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:

Yes, pick the most worst looking characters for the new category like they represent all of the new anime characters.
That's what cherry pickers do.
Sep 16, 2014 10:40 PM
Mar 2011
mayukachan said:

older art looked more detailed thats coming form a cell collector put then again that like comparing CGI or Practicak effects in film ii HATE HATE HATE HATE CGI you could i have fruy cause of it
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 17, 2014 12:56 AM

Mar 2012

I'd say you'd make an interesting point...but the fact that the top image has a "Boku no Pico" image in the "now" category is pretty stupid since that's a "trap"/shotacon hentai.

Way to completely derail your own argument...
Sep 17, 2014 12:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
mayukachan said:

wait that was the intention? :o
I though the new ones still looked much better lol
Sep 17, 2014 1:39 AM

Sep 2012
I Love all animes new and old :)
Sep 17, 2014 1:42 AM

Jul 2014
Uh, another old/new thread! you are missing the base if you miss old ones, but so you cannot be - surely - persuaded, I respect you so I like the new ones too XD
I'll tell you something, my Tenchi. You know, the carnival comes and goes... if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi.
Sep 17, 2014 2:24 AM

Apr 2009
those are the kind of people who refuse to watch older movies cause "ew old xD"

i say, it is their loss because they are missing out on some gems
Sep 17, 2014 3:24 AM
May 2007
mayukachan said:

Funny this is the crap that I see representing new anime whenever I go to Akihabara.
Sep 17, 2014 3:43 AM

Jun 2012
ParaParaJMo said:
mayukachan said:

Funny this is the crap that I see representing new anime whenever I go to Akihabara.

I think that's probably true for female characters, considering all I ever see around is moe or fanservice.

But I doubt it's true for male ones. You should've used more generic harem protagonists to make it true.
Sep 17, 2014 6:30 AM

Nov 2009

Nice haha
-☾✩
Sep 17, 2014 6:34 AM

Aug 2014
This thread is so cringeworthy literally couldn't get past page 2.
Mladen said:
ParaParaJMo said:

I think that's probably true for female characters, considering all I ever see around is moe or fanservice.

But I doubt it's true for male ones. You should've used more generic harem protagonists to make it true.

Boku no Pico.
Sep 17, 2014 8:09 AM

Feb 2010
We need someone to speak in representation of all the people who likes old anime:

Who better than Yang?

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Sep 17, 2014 8:10 AM

Aug 2014
Akai_Shuichi said:
We need someone to speak in representation of all the people who likes old anime

No, "we" do not.
Sep 17, 2014 8:18 AM

Dec 2013
Ehhh. Let them like what they like as long as they recognize that without the old stuff, a lot of their favorites wouldn't exist. I don't get why they wouldn't like the animation, I think cell animation has a certain charm that's missing in digital
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2014 8:20 AM

May 2013
Akai_Shuichi said:
We need someone to speak in representation of all the people who likes old anime:

Who better than Yang?

[yt]0i5A9SB-ACM[/]

Yang is my husbando.
Sep 17, 2014 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
well judging from the chara *design*, older anime is inferior. But that's make older anime have a...what is it...signature about it
Sep 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Nov 2013
I used to think I was ok with watching old anime. Then I tried Mobile Suit Gundam (1979).
That was too much; it felt so old in animation, direction and storytelling I couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes.
Everyone has its limits, but if you think 2006 is already too old, you need to broaden your horizons.
Sep 17, 2014 10:52 AM

Aug 2014
MugenRyuugen said:
well judging from the chara *design*, older anime is inferior. But that's make older anime have a...what is it...signature about it

Do you mean "nostalgic quality"?
Sep 17, 2014 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
mayukachan said:

older art looked more detailed thats coming form a cell collector put then again that like comparing CGI or Practicak effects in film ii HATE HATE HATE HATE CGI you could i have fruy cause of it

What the fuck are you typing? I can barely understand what you typed.
Pages (20) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

124 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» What are some anime moments that made you kiss the screen?

Catalano - May 13

20 by jantszztkr »»
4 minutes ago

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

24 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » A question, what is worse when it comes to a bad anime

Dillq24 - 5 hours ago

14 by jantszztkr »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - May 8

43 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.