Forum Settings
Forums

General Battle Shounen / Big Three Discussion. [Potential Spoilers]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (199) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 28, 2014 3:32 PM

Dec 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
SolBlade said:

I always wondered why Kubo would give a side villain such a hax ability.
To emphasize how powerful his favorite characters are (Kenpachi). Simultaneously making his least favorites look like shit (Rojuro & Kensei).

I still laugh at the fact how Kensei's fight with Wonderweiss

Was Wonderweiss even that powerful?
Apr 28, 2014 3:49 PM

Jan 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
To emphasize how powerful his favorite characters are (Kenpachi). Simultaneously making his least favorites look like shit (Rojuro & Kensei).

Based Kubo at it again. In retrospect, maybe Ichigo is Aizen's bankai.

Mod Edit: Modified quote tower; please spoiler or remove old quotes.
NiyawaMay 2, 2014 11:07 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 28, 2014 4:05 PM

Jun 2012
Hiro Mashima just needs to make a (futa?)yuri manga already.

In other news FMA Brotherhood BD sets are so beautiful, I feel like kicking myself for not watching this series in 1080p before.
Apr 28, 2014 4:17 PM

Nov 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Most boring fight I have ever read.

NiyawaMay 2, 2014 11:04 AM
Apr 28, 2014 4:36 PM

Feb 2014
Hunter x Hunter is in a league of its own
Apr 28, 2014 4:45 PM

May 2013
Feyfray said:
This and One Piece, I'd agree.

I'm considering going back through Bleach, only reading it this time, I only got through the Soul Society Arc the first time. I'm wondering, at what point does it just stop being worth it, and should I even read past the Soul Society Arc? (That's how far I watched)
Apr 28, 2014 4:54 PM

Jun 2012
I'm about to start rereading Pandora Hearts, will reread Black Butler when I'm caught up again.
Rocko52 said:

I'm considering going back through Bleach, only reading it this time, I only got through the Soul Society Arc the first time. I'm wondering, at what point does it just stop being worth it, and should I even read past the Soul Society Arc? (That's how far I watched)
I recommend reading up to the end of Aizen's arc but some people consider Hueco Mundo arc to be the point it goes downhill. The Arrancar introduction arc was alright.
Apr 28, 2014 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
Bleach villain unlike the other Big 3 feel really shallow. Quincy especially didn't have any notable background. As Nods also have one of the most stupid flashback ever.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 28, 2014 7:11 PM

Jul 2013
Rocko52 said:
Feyfray said:
This and One Piece, I'd agree.

i thinks its best to leave it at soul society
Apr 29, 2014 8:45 AM

May 2013
Naruto and Bleach have great stories, great characters, and a sense of progress. I wish I could say the same about One Piece, but honestly, the majority of it feels like filler that doesn't contribute to the overall story. It doesn't feel like it's ever going anywhere. Now I often compare One Piece to Dragonball Z, but at least Dragon Ball Z is always moving, even if it is incredibly slow. Naruto fillers are generally terrible and Bleach fillers are only slightly better, but hey, fillers are almost never considered good so it's not really a big deal I guess.
Apr 29, 2014 8:58 AM

Jun 2011
@Dark_Chaos: One Piece is destined to be an endless journey. We're just viewing it from afar :P

Also, OP doesn't really become more "DBZ"-like till later on.

Apr 29, 2014 9:09 AM

Jun 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Naruto and Bleach have great stories, great characters, and a sense of progress. I wish I could say the same about One Piece, but honestly, the majority of it feels like filler that doesn't contribute to the overall story. It doesn't feel like it's ever going anywhere. Now I often compare One Piece to Dragonball Z, but at least Dragon Ball Z is always moving, even if it is incredibly slow. Naruto fillers are generally terrible and Bleach fillers are only slightly better, but hey, fillers are almost never considered good so it's not really a big deal I guess.

Seriously, how has the story of One Piece not progressed in any way in the last 600+ episodes? Are you honestly trying to tell me that the characters are in the same situation they were in the beginning?
If you're talking about how Luffy isn't close to his main goal of being The Pirate King, then you're wrong. The Pirate King is the strongest, most important, richest and most powerful person in the world. It's not an easy road to become The Pirate King. With every arc, Luffy has gained strength, experience and knowledge about the world. He is on the way to become The Pirate King, but it's still a very long, long way.
Another thing, the adventure itself is part of the plot of One Piece. Like SolBlade said, it's a series designed as a seemingly endless journey (i say seemingly because it's obviously going to have an end). So, with every new adventure, One Piece is advancing it's plot.
And finally, Oda confirmed that since the time-skip we're past the middle point of the story, so it's definitely going somewhere.

By the way, i agree with what you said about Naruto and Bleach :)
Andan210Apr 29, 2014 9:12 AM
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 29, 2014 9:14 AM

Jan 2014
The story hardly ever progressed, in the main huge arcs, and we get a sliver of progression in mini arcs but that's it.

Main arcs almost never do that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2014 9:27 AM

Jun 2011
The series is arc based so there won't be much progression towards to end goal until near the end. They are mainly focused on the here and now, which can explain that. I don't mind it at all. More endless adventure (starring Mr. Fantastic) for me!

Apr 29, 2014 9:30 AM

Jan 2014
SolBlade said:
The series is arc based so there won't be much progression towards to end goal until near the end. They are mainly focused on the here and now, which can explain that. I don't mind it at all. More endless adventure (starring Mr. Fantastic) for me!

Well yeah but after 400 chapters of revealing world weapons I'd like them to, when they finally and glacially get to it again, take it to the next level rather than just naming the second weapon :-P

And the fishman island is not so pleasant that I'd be content with "the adventure over destination" aspect!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2014 9:35 AM

Jun 2011
Hmm... fair enough. They did show the first weapon in Skypeia, right? And the second in FI. I've read this theory that One Piece itself is a giant weapon capable of uniting the four seas by destroying Reverse Mountain or something. Once we get more information on the Void Century, I'm sure we'll get more on the end goal.

The Fishman Island arc was meant to be shorter in the anime, to be honest. In the manga, the longest arc is Skypeia.

Apr 29, 2014 9:38 AM

May 2013
Andan210 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Seriously, how has the story of One Piece not progressed in any way in the last 600+ episodes? Are you honestly trying to tell me that the characters are in the same situation they were in the beginning?
If you're talking about how Luffy isn't close to his main goal of being The Pirate King, then you're wrong. The Pirate King is the strongest, most important, richest and most powerful person in the world. It's not an easy road to become The Pirate King. With every arc, Luffy has gained strength, experience and knowledge about the world. He is on the way to become The Pirate King, but it's still a very long, long way.
Another thing, the adventure itself is part of the plot of One Piece. Like SolBlade said, it's a series designed as a seemingly endless journey (i say seemingly because it's obviously going to have an end). So, with every new adventure, One Piece is advancing it's plot.
And finally, Oda confirmed that since the time-skip we're past the middle point of the story, so it's definitely going somewhere.

By the way, i agree with what you said about Naruto and Bleach :)

Read again. I've even bolded the important part for you.
Apr 29, 2014 9:39 AM

Jan 2014
FI was 50 chapters, no? Still pretty long.
Skypiea was only 60, and it felt proportional for the first two thirds because it actually offerered a lot in them.
Apr 29, 2014 9:42 AM

Jun 2011
Skypeia is better than Fishman Island, I'll give you that. Oda decided to make his favorite rapper god. What's next? Tupac as the final villain?

Their lengths are similar though it does seem weird when something like Marineford is ~10 less episodes than Skypeia yet is only half the length of it in the manga (Marineford was 30 chapters).
Dressrosa is pretty good right now. Easily the best post-timeskip arc thus far (though the other two are Punk Hazard and Fishman Island, so...). What starts off as a Tournament arc becomes something else.

Apr 29, 2014 9:45 AM

Jan 2014
Haha what? I thought Snoop and T.I were his favorites.
Apr 29, 2014 9:46 AM

Jun 2011
Oda did say that Eminem was his favorite rapper. Maybe we'll get Snoop Dogg/Lion next? And he'll be the equivalent of Satan instead and will be able to turn into a Dog as has Devil Fruit ability.

Apr 29, 2014 9:51 AM

Jun 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Read again. I've even bolded the important part for you.

My point still stands, since i was talking about the majority of the series.

NiyawaMay 2, 2014 11:09 AM
Apr 29, 2014 9:58 AM

Jan 2014
SolBlade said:
Oda did say that Eminem was his favorite rapper. Maybe we'll get Snoop Dogg/Lion next? And he'll be the equivalent of Satan instead and will be able to turn into a Dog as has Devil Fruit ability.

He drew art of T.I and Snoop I think, or maybe that was fake?
Apr 29, 2014 10:03 AM

Jan 2014
I understand if people say slowly progressed, but hardly progressed? No waaaay. A lot of things changed from the beginning up until this point; the crew, the ship, the place, the allies, the enemies, the situation, the system, even the world itself. And One Piece is an adventure story, the adventure in every arc is the little step to the ending. Except you watch Luffy sleeps and fights in his dream for 50+ chapters, that doesn't contribute to the story at all.
Apr 29, 2014 10:06 AM

Jan 2014
wanderingplayboy said:
I understand if people say slowly progressed, but hardly progressed? No waaaay. A lot of things changed from the beginning up until this point; the crew, the ship, the place, the allies, the enemies, the situation, the system, even the world itself. And One Piece is an adventure story, the adventure in every arc is the little step to the ending. Except you watch Luffy sleeps and fights in his dream for 50+ chapters, that doesn't contribute to the story at all.

The overall story itself progresses at discrete points while the "adventure" feels somewhat disjointed from it, and the adventure itself feels like it hardly progresses, within itself (character development for the crew) or overall (tying to the main plot).
Apr 29, 2014 10:09 AM

Jun 2011
wanderingplayboy said:
Except you watch Luffy sleeps and fights in his dream for 50+ chapters, that doesn't contribute to the story at all.

Imagine all of One Piece was just a dream? And Luffy was unconscious since he almost got killed by the Sea King in the beginning of the series? That would be M. Night Shyamalan level trolling right there.

Apr 29, 2014 10:28 AM

Jun 2012
Is it me or does One Piece get nitpicked the most out of all big name battle shounen on here? Maybe I'm just lurking the wrong threads
Apr 29, 2014 10:29 AM

Jun 2011
Kaimon said:
Is it me or does One Piece get nitpicked the most out of all big name battle shounen on here? Maybe I'm just lurking the wrong threads

Let's go for another Battle Shounen in that case. A change of topic should be fun.

Jan 2014
Kaimon said:

The more the claims of perfection and flawlessness the more counters it'll receive.

Nov 2010
Kaimon said:
There are the most conversations about it out of all the big name battle shounens, so there's more nitpicking and defending.
Apr 29, 2014 10:32 AM

Jun 2012
Kaimon said:

That's when people want to look edgy and controversial for hating a popular and loved series. When they just want to shit on big battle shounens they often go for Naruto or Dragon Ball.
Apr 29, 2014 2:45 PM

May 2013
Kaimon said:

Yeah, I'd say it is now, although back in the day it was Naruto that got all the hate and all.
Apr 29, 2014 2:47 PM

Jan 2014
Andan210 said:
Kaimon said:

That's when people want to look edgy and controversial for hating a popular and loved series. When they just want to shit on big battle shounens they often go for Naruto or Dragon Ball.

So having an opinion of it can't possibly be anything but edgy and controversial attempts?
Apr 29, 2014 2:50 PM

Dec 2012
You know, this thread isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be..
Apr 29, 2014 2:53 PM
Mar 2013
Guys, can I skip the Skypeia arc in One Piece because it's so fucking terrible and boring

Pretty much Oda blatantly ripping off the Edolas arc from Fairy Tail

So, will I miss anything incredibly important by skipping it?
Apr 29, 2014 2:53 PM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:

Not enough naruto flame wars?
Apr 29, 2014 2:56 PM

Jun 2012
Reciprocal said:
tsudecimo said:

It's only as interesting as the people in it make it.

JD2411 said:
It doesn't have all that much relevance to the overall plot.
Apr 29, 2014 2:58 PM

Aug 2013
If the Dragon Ball series were to continue what format would you want it to continue as? Manga to anime adaption, OVA series or movie series? I would like for it to continue as an OVA series starting from where Battle of Gods ended. Manga to anime would be the worst option because it would just cause people to complain about fillers for the millionth time.
Apr 29, 2014 3:00 PM

Mar 2014
I enjoyed all these major battle shounen: Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Hunter x Hunter. Does that put me in the minority. I agree that some were better than others, but each of them did something better than their counterparts and I appreciate all of them.

I'm surprised that so many people pick one or pick none and hate on the rest.
But that's just one opinion.
Apr 29, 2014 3:01 PM

May 2013
JD2411 said:
Guys, can I skip the Skypeia arc in One Piece because it's so fucking terrible and boring

Yeah, you can skip it and not miss anything, although you may be wondering what dials are, but it's not worth going through that entire arc.
Apr 29, 2014 3:04 PM
Mar 2013
OneOpinion said:
I enjoyed all these major battle shounen: Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Hunter x Hunter. Does that put me in the minority. I agree that some were better than others, but each of them did something better than their counterparts and I appreciate all of them.

The shounen fanbase on MAL is without a doubt the most aggressive
Apr 29, 2014 3:08 PM

Jun 2012
OneOpinion said:
I enjoyed all these major battle shounen: Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Hunter x Hunter. Does that put me in the minority? I agree that some were better than others, but each of them did something better than their counterparts and I appreciate all of them.

Considering One Piece and Naruto are in the top 5 best selling Manga, I'd say no.
I think they're all atleast average. I'd give One Piece 9/8 for Manga/Anime, Naruto 8/7, Bleach 7/7, and Fairy Tail 5/4.
Apr 29, 2014 3:08 PM

Aug 2013
Best villains of Naruto : Madara, Orochimaru, Danzo

Worst villain : Tobi
Apr 29, 2014 3:10 PM
Mar 2013
DrGeroCreation said:

I think Kabuto was a good villain
Apr 29, 2014 3:11 PM

Jan 2014
JD2411 said:

You can skip most battle arcs but Skypiea is pretty good, once it reveals something.
Apr 29, 2014 3:12 PM

Aug 2013
JD2411 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I think Kabuto was a good villain
I don't see him as a real villain like Madara, Orochimaru and Danzo. He is a sympathetic villain like Pain and Tobi but he is pretty badass though.
Apr 29, 2014 3:14 PM

Nov 2013
are there any really good shounen out there that I haven't watched yet?

I need to watch a good one (I know about magi and gintama, saving em for later)
Apr 29, 2014 3:15 PM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Best villains of Naruto : Pain, Madara, Danzo, Tobi

Fixed.

Reciprocal said:
tsudecimo said:

The thread is boring in general.

OneOpinion said:

I consider two of these my favorites, and I like two of them a little bit, dislike what's left.
Apr 29, 2014 3:16 PM

Jun 2012
OneOpinion said:

You're not alone, i also like and enjoy all of them (also Dragon Ball, FullMetal Alchemist and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, since we're talking about major titles). Of course i have shows i like more than others, but for me each one apported something than the rest didn't. I think that's the best thing about battle shounens, that even when they're supposedly just repeating formulas and cliches (according to haters), they all are different when it comes to the real important thing: execution. Doesn't matter if one series is using a concept previously used by another one, because the fact is that they all handle that concept in a different way, with different results and different means.
JD2411 said:

You're gonna have to try harder, JD. Your trolling level is still in 1/10.
Andan210Apr 29, 2014 4:42 PM
Apr 29, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2013
The only good thing in Naruto are the chuunin exams.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (199) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 35 minutes ago

4 by xqXpx »»
30 seconds ago

Poll: » Would/Do you go to Anime Conventions?

Dragevard - Oct 15, 2021

46 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

29 by traed »»
13 minutes ago

» What is the best anime cheering ever?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

2 by Ratris_Decision »»
35 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - Yesterday

40 by Dumb »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.