Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 28, 2015 12:45 PM
May 2009
I think the only shows I really enjoyed from the summer season were:
Prison School - crude, raunchy, fanservicy, but extremly well written and directed.
Himouto! Umaru-chan - I think we all wish we could be like Umaru, outwardly perfect, but really just a lazy bum who likes playing games, browsing the internet, watching anime, reading manga, and eating junk food.
School Live - terrible slice of life juxtaposed with (1st ep spoilers)
Oct 8, 2015 10:27 AM

Jul 2014
I highly recommend Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru from current season.
It was the best first episode of all the anime I'm watching in this season.
Oct 9, 2015 12:55 AM

Dec 2008
mozgow said:
I highly recommend Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru from current season.
It was the best first episode of all the anime I'm watching in this season.

I just watched it last night. Most intriguing indeed. As for Sakurako, I gotta say she is a stone fuh-REAK when it comes to bones! :P

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Oct 9, 2015 6:22 AM

Mar 2014
Best first episode I've seen so far this season was One Punch Man, which both really entertaining and really funny too.

That said, my favorite first episodes of the winter and spring seasons both belonged to shows that I ultimately dropped, so hopefully OPM doesn't continue that trend.

Ranking the first episodes I've seen so far:
1. One Punch Man
2. Gundam: IBO
3. Comet Lucifer
4. Young Black Jack
5. Lance n Masques
6. Hackadoll
7. Magical Somera-chan
8. Onsen Hakone-chan (it doesn't look like it's going to be a strong season for shorts, unfortunately)

I'm planning to hit the first episodes of Sakurako, Perfect Insider, and Antimagic Academy tonight. Those are the only shows left from my preseason list that I haven't started yet.
Oct 10, 2015 3:03 AM

Jul 2014
PhillyFlash said:
I just watched it last night. Most intriguing indeed. As for Sakurako, I gotta say she is a stone fuh-REAK when it comes to bones! :P
Well said, my friend :-)
But not only is the story intriguing, visuals and soundtrack are also very good :-)
Oct 10, 2015 4:05 AM

Dec 2012
I’m done with my plate of first episodes and I completely agree with WingKing about OPM hitting it way out of the park.

Keepers
Haikyuu!! Season 2
One Punch Man
Noragami Aragoto

Probably
Osomatsu-san:
Gundam: Iron-Blood Orphans

On the fence
Dance with Devils
The Perfect Insider
Utawarerumono

No-go
Beautiful Bones
Young Black Jack
Oct 10, 2015 9:26 AM

Jul 2014
Finally watched the last anime I picked from this season. Here are my initial thoughts :-)
Oct 15, 2015 5:53 PM

Jun 2008
What I've picked up and my first initial impressions

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - A different angle on the Gundam franchise. Instead of being freedom fighters or Earth Federation fighters, this is an independent organization who's purpose is to protect Mars, who wants independence.

Haikyuu!! Second Season - This is a continuation of the first season. Of course I'll watch it with no question.

Miss Monochrome: The Animation 3 - The third season of our favorite idol android.

One Punch Man = The anime of the season. Two episodes in and I'm enjoying it. Btw, this is ore a comedy than a superhero series.

K: Return of Kings - Second season of the K series. A bit confusing. I'll watch it through, right now.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 16, 2015 12:57 AM

Dec 2008
mozgow said:
Finally watched the last anime I picked from this season. Here are my initial thoughts :-)
[list]
[*]Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - very good visuals, quite good characters and a little intriguing story; most likely I will continue to watch it

I was curious about The Asterisk War. Perhaps I'll give it a looksee.

Oct 17, 2015 2:04 AM

Dec 2008
I did watch the first episode of The Asterisk War last night and found it intriguing. I'll definitely watch more.

I also watched the debut episode of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid last night too. I had read a review saying this show is the yuri version of Soul Eater, what with humans who can transform into powerful weapons, and yeah, it sure seems like that from what I watched. And yeah, the ecchi factor was certainly high. By the by, I'm streaming this show on Funimation which covers over nudity like bare breasts. Moronic.

Oct 31, 2015 12:29 AM
May 2009
So after several episodes of the new season, I gotta say my favourite of the season so far is Heavy Object.

The 1st episode was really bad, the cg is still bad, and there is still a ton of pointless fanservice that just makes me roll my eyes every time, but I am really enjoying the two main characters screaming at each other as they figure out ways to survive against and take down the invincible objects. Just way more entertaining than I expected.
Nov 16, 2015 2:18 PM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
For those few of you that have similar crap taste in Anime as I do, I'm watching several interesting shows that I recommend:

1. GATE…This is a fun, well written comedy drama with a lot of heart. What would happen if we were suddenly attacked by a large army of armored soldiers armed with swords, spears and bow and arrows. Our modern army would slaughter them. Well that’s what happens in Ginza Japan when a large portal appears on the downtown street in modern Japan. After sending the invaders fleeing back through the portal, Japan send the Japan ground self-defense force through to judge the threat, explore and make friends with the population in this strange parallel world. This show has politics, greed, corruption, sexy elfs and lots of death and bloodshed. I just finished the first 12 episode, it continues in January. Oh, I forgot to mention the gothic Lolita death goddess.
2. The Perfect Insider. I’m halfway through this currently airing Mystery. This is an interesting take of the classic murder that occurs in a room locked from the inside and no way for the murder to leave unseen. A clever, mature anime.
3. Comet Lucifer. Another show that’s Currently Airing. It’s starting off good but it’s getting a lot of hate from the teenies. Read the description and make up your own mind. I like it.
4. Finally, I’m loving Ushio and Tora (TV). Kid teams up with vicious demon and fight other demons with the Beast Sword. Great adventure for those who are young at heart. ☺
Nov 17, 2015 4:51 AM

Jul 2014
Halfway through the season, so some additional thoughts for the ones I picked.
Nov 23, 2015 2:55 PM
Jan 2008
This season's top three:

1. Sakurako is really good.

2. However, The Perfect Insider is even better.

3. Haikyuu 2 is even better this season.
Jan 4, 2016 9:53 AM

Jul 2014
Watched first episode of Aria The Avvenire and I don't know what to say :D

This is Aria at it finest. I thought that Origination had amazing art-style and animation, but what they did for Avvenire is simply mindblowing. There are some CGI parts but it doesn't change my opinion that animation is still amazing. As is the soundtrack :-) When I heard first few tones of opening song I got instant goosebumps. And they kept the style of opening song playing over episode animation :-) (where we can see a bit of Ai-chan character).

Main story is a flashback from time when Akari was still Single and it shows almost everything I love Aria for (I expected a bit more of comedic moments).

It's a real shame that Aria is so unpopular...
Jan 10, 2016 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
I’m done with first episodes for this season. Damn that was fast. Me thinks its gonna be all about quality rather than quantity.

Keeper
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: A josei anime? A period drama? About a moldy form of Japanese theatre? With a hefty barrier of entry? And delicious voice acting? Originally penned by one of my favorite yaoi mangaka? Oh snap!!! I live for that kind of show.

Probably
Dimension W: That white Toyota 2000GT. And Suga Shōtarō helming the series composition. So what if it screams mainstream? I’m even willing to ignore the rancid objectification of its female lead (for now at least). There are too many people from the Uchouten Kazoku staff involved for me to not be a little bit intrigued.

On the fence
Prince of Stride: Sometimes, a bunch of pretty boys isn’t enough. Or it’s just enough to feel insulted as a fujoshi. Also, Madhouse dropping the ball on production value. It’s a sports show (I think…) so I’ll give it another week.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi: I feel the manga gets bogged down after a while. Hopefully the anime fairs better but it’s gonna be hard to tell from just 12 episodes. *sigh*

Carrying over
Haikyuu
Ace of Diamond
Iron-blooded Orphans
Jan 11, 2016 6:57 AM

Mar 2014
Five shows tried so far, three keepers and one on probation.

Keepers:

Girls Beyond the Wasteland - Best one sentence description would be that it's similar to Saekano, but with a much less abrasive cast and no meta-jokes. So if you couldn't get into Saekano because of either of those two things, you may want to give this a try. On the downside, we don't have any characters who are anywhere near as unique or fantastic as Kato was, either, not yet at least.

Oji-San to Marshmallow - Comedy short featuring adults in the workplace, started off with a really strong first episode. Looking forward to more.

Tabi Machi Late Show - A more artistic short with limited animation and a rather distinct visual style, but I liked it. Not a comedy, unlike most shorts; it was a serious story, and told quite well I thought. This is only going to be a four episode series, so I'm in for the rest.

On probation:

Phantom World - KyoAni shows always get at least three episodes from me, but starting off with a first episode laced with clunky world-building, dumb slapstick, and heavy fanservice doesn't bode well for my odds of finishing it out. Aside from the high production values, this show feels like it should've been adapted by a studio like Hoods Entertainment or JC Staff.

Dropped:

Please Tell Me, Galko-chan - I'll give it credit for looking nice, but most of the comedy was teenagers having frank discussions about human anatomy, in the way only teenagers can. That kind of thing didn't even interest me when I was a teenager, much less now.
Jan 14, 2016 8:57 AM

Jul 2014
I think I might picked too many from this season, LOL :D

My initial thoughts:

• Boku dake ga Inai Machi - the most popular and so far looking good, with the really intriguing story being the best part of it.
  • Musaigen no Phantom World - the first episode was bad, the second was a bit better, but still far from a good anime. Animation is great, but the story is mediocre, to say the least.
  • Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season - technically it's not 2nd season, but MAL knows better :-) It was a good start.
  • Dimension W - one of two big (positive) surprises for me. Action packed series with a hope for a more deep story.
  • Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - the biggest letdown of the season. Based on the synopsis, the setting looked interesting, but the execution in the first episode was terribad.
  • Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu - much better than expected. Female lead character that wants to make bishōnen games? That should be good :-)
  • HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru - it might be a black horse for the season. Animation is really good (with few amazing parts), soundtrack is great and the characters and story are not bad either. We'll see how it will develop...
  • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd Season - again this is not the second season, but MAL again knows better :-) And yet again a good start :-)
  • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - animation in this one is average (there are some very good parts) but it's hilarious. It was a while since I laugh so hard while watching anime :-)
  • Bubuki Buranki - the second big (positive) surprise. The first half of the first episode was simply great. It brought so many feels :-) The second half was noticeable weaker, but it's interesting enough for me to watch few more episodes.
  • Ojisan to Marshmallow - it was hilarious :-) It's hard to say if this or Konosuba is the most hilarious one :-) (thanks WingKing for recommendation :-))
  • Ooyasan wa Shishunki! - the first episode was OK. It can't compare to Ojisan to Marshmallow, but it's very short so I will probably watch it anyway.
Jan 14, 2016 11:59 AM

Mar 2014
You're welcome!

Updating my list:

Rakugo Shinju is another definite keeper. It almost didn't feel like an anime at all, but more like a live-action drama. Either way, it was a terrific first episode.

Four Rhythm joins Phantom World (which marginally improved in episode 2) on my probation list. These are both shows that I want to like, so I really hope they pick up quick.

Still haven't gotten to Erased yet, and at this point I might just wait to watch eps 1 and 2 together.

I also want to at least try the first ep of Dimension W once it's available for free watchers. I HATE watching anything on Funi's website, because of the ads and because the quality of their streaming video is so poor, but this potentially looks like one of those rare shows I could make an exception for.
Feb 17, 2016 11:54 AM

Jul 2014
It's halfway through the season, so here are my thoughts so far.

• Boku dake ga Inai Machi - so far looking strong. Great animation and soundtrack, really good characters and intriguing story. Very close to score 9 on my list :-)
  • Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - it was on my initial list for this season, but I thought I'm already watching too many, so didn't give it a try. But when I gave, I wasn't disappointed. It might look like yet another anime set in RPG world but it's not. It has a very realistic feel and looks more like a real world with some fantasy elements rather than pure RPG setting. This one is very close to score 8 on my list.
  • Musaigen no Phantom World - still looks amazing and the story is still quite weak. But it's not as bad to drop it right away. Something between 6 and 7.
  • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - most likely comedy of the season. Other than that it's just average. At most 7 on my list.
  • Dimension W - this one has good animation, soundtrack and characters and very intriguing story. Most likely a 7 but might go up to 8 depending how it ends.
  • Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season - good old GATE :-) Amazing action sequences mixed with some comedy. Most likely an 8.
  • Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - got better enough for me to not drop it. So far 6, but might go up to 7.
  • Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu - this one unexpectedly became really good. It's more character than story driven, as the interactions between them are pure gold to watch :-) Close to an 8 from me.
  • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd Season - as in GATE case: same good old Shirayuki :-) If nothing bad happens it would be an 8 on my list.
  • HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru - this one had great start, but it's no so great anymore. But neither bad enough to drop it. A most a 7.
  • Bubuki Buranki - I have a mixed feeling about it. When it tries to be more serious, it's great. But when it does not, it's average. So far a 7 from me.
  • Ojisan to Marshmallow - the best short of this season. Comedy is on spot and the two main characters are great. 7.5 from me.
  • Ooyasan wa Shishunki! - another short comedy but a much weaker one. So far 6 at most.
Feb 25, 2016 9:38 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
Watching a Goofball comedy called KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!. A Japanese NEET gets transported to a magical world along with a Water Goddess called Aqua. There He must defeat the Demon King and save the world. Only one problem, the Goddess is not very bright and the two other companions he finds for their quest are a Wizard who can blow things up, but only once a day and a beautiful Knight who is a complete Masochtist and pervert.
This engaging comedy is a twisted satire on role playing Sword & Sorcery adventures and is full of laughs and surprises. Personally, I love this type of Humor and the characters are likeable. Good silly fun. 9/10
Apr 1, 2016 7:33 PM

Mar 2014
Okay, here's my preliminary list of what I'm picking up for the Spring. Going to start off with 13 shows, which I figure will probably get whittled down to my usual 6 or 7 by the end of the season.

Full TV Series:
Ace Attorney
Anne Happy
Bakuon
Bungou Stray Dogs
Flying Witch
Hai Furi
Joker Game
Kaitou Joker 3
The Lost Village
Macross Delta
Twin Star Exorcists

Shorts:
Space Patrol Luluco
Wagamama High Spec
(this doesn't look like a great season for shorts)

That's probably going to be everything. I had some mild interest in Kuma Miko, but Funi picked it up so that's a "no," and nothing else is grabbing my attention right now.
Apr 2, 2016 1:19 AM

Jul 2014
OK, so here's my initial list:

Quite many of them will be available on Crunchyroll. If they also get Flying Witch, this will be best CR season ever :-)
Apr 4, 2016 5:50 PM

Jun 2008
Here's what I've started for this spring season....

Macross Delta
KumaMiko (very cute anime)
Ace Attorney
Sailor Moon Crystal, season 3

That's it right now.

Apr 4, 2016 7:55 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
For me, what I am and plan on watching is:

Macross Delta
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season
Hundred
Endride
Wagamama High Spec
Apr 9, 2016 2:57 AM

Jul 2014
Finally watched second episode of Aria The Avvenire. Oh man, I would love to see a new series focused on Ai, Azusa and Anya :-)

Too bad that there's only one episode left...
Apr 11, 2016 12:01 PM

Jul 2014
I thought I picked too many last season. Well, it's not the first time I was wrong :D

• Bakuon!! - so far the weakest one. I was expecting something similar to One Off, where the bikes are just there, and the focus of the story is somewhere else. So far it's only about bikes...
  • Bungou Stray Dogs - I really like the comedy in this one. Animation is not bad either so I should enjoy it (maybe even a lot? :D)
  • Flying Witch - that's what I was looking for when I asked for Slice of Life with magic mix :D It's relaxing (background music is amazing) and funny (I laugh a lot while watching first episode). Characters are likeable and the animation is really good too.
  • Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season - I watched first season and liked it (nothing really outstanding nor terribad) and would like to know how the story progress.
  • High School Fleet - this one will probably be my guilty pleasure this season :-) Nothing really good but really funny to watch.
  • Hundred - not a very good start but I hope it will get better. Otherwise it will join Bakuon!! as a very weak series.
  • Kiznaiver - what can I say, Trigger did it again :-) Animation is very good, with some really great parts. I really hope the story will be as good as the animation, otherwise it would be a great disappointment...
  • Koutetsujou no Kabaneri - most anticipated show of this season and not half-bad either. Everything, from animation to soundtrack to characters and story was very good. We'll see where it will go...
  • Mayoiga - first two episodes were really good. The setting is really interesting and it seems the story is finally getting to the good part (well, it's R-rated and I hope there is a good reason for that).
  • Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? - I expect it to be nothing really special, but also nothing really bad. It should be enjoyable to watch
  • Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - now this is what I call an anime. It's starts very typically as "yet another transferred to fantasy world" anime. And it does great job to fool the viewer in episode 1A. But episodes 1B and 2 are really something else. And from what I read it should get even better in later episodes. So far it has the lead for my AotS :-)
  • Sakamoto desu ga? - another very good comedy. Sakamoto is the coolest guy in any anime, ever :D
  • Sousei no Onmyouji - first episode was good and the story is intriguing enough for me. Animation-wise it was nothing really special nor really bad.
  • Uchuu Patrol Luluco - another anime by Trigger (and another Original too). First episode was ridiculous, the second was a bit less ridiculous (riding meteor to get to school, LOL :D). This one most likely will be short of the season.
  • Wagamama High Spec - another short anime and only a bit less ridiculous than Luluco. It's full of fan-service, so it's only for those who are fond of this.

And as a side note, this is the best CR season ever :-)
Out of those 15 they got 14, but due to region-lock I can watch only (only? :D) 10 of them.
Apr 11, 2016 4:49 PM

Mar 2014
mozgow said:
And as a side note, this is the best CR season ever :-)

Yes, yes it is. Out of the 13 shows on my list they acquired everything except Macross Delta, which was never going to be streamed by anyone anyway because of the rights issues with that franchise.

Here's how I rank the premiere episodes of the shows on my list (excluding Wagamama and Flying Witch since I haven't gotten to those yet - too busy writing up my latest Spotlight yesterday)

1. Macross Delta - premiere was everything I hoped for
2. Sousei no Onmyouji - been a while since I found a good new shonen battle series; this one has potential
3. Joker Game - historical fiction and spy story puts this right in my wheelhouse
4. Kaitou Joker 3 - no dropoff from the first two seasons
5. Uchuu Patrol Luluco - zany Trigger fun
6. Bungou Stray Dogs - entertaining, but I'm not sure yet what this show wants to be
7. Bakuon - not quite what I expected, but not bad
8. High School Fleet - first half not very good, second half better, and then that twist at the end, wtf? Gotta keep watching for now just to find out what's going on.
9. Anne-Happy - more comedic sociopathy from the director of Baka & Test and Watamote. If you enjoy laughing at other people's misfortunes, then you'll probably like this series. That's not really my style of comedy, so I don't know how many more episodes I'll watch before I get tired of it.
10. Mayoiga - a hot mess, but an interesting one. Worth sticking with it, at least for now.
11. Ace Attorney (DROPPED)
May 11, 2016 6:28 PM
Jan 2008
Love this season:

Space Patrol Luluco: Nice shoutouts to Kill la Kill.

Joker Game: Sleeper this season.

Bungou Stray Dogs: Not the most coherent, but the show is fun. And Dazai the suicide freak is my favorite character this season

Sakamoto: I can't stop watching to see what happens next....

Kiznaiver: Surprisingly light hearted for something I was expecting to be serious.
May 15, 2016 2:55 AM

Jul 2014
It's half-way through the season, so some update for the ones I'm watching

• Bakuon!! - I had wrong expectations when I started watching it, but now I really like it as a good comedy; so far 7/10
  • Bungou Stray Dogs - this is a really interesting mix of comedy and some seriousness; 7.5/10 (it can either rise to 8/10 or drop to 7/10)
  • Flying Witch - SoL of the season or maybe even the year :-) easily 8/10
  • Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season - the only thing I noticed improving are the fighting sequences, the rest is basically the same; at most 7/10
  • High School Fleet - I don't know why but I'm enjoying this one a lot :-P cute grils doing not so cute things :-) 6.5/10 (either 7 or 6 when it ends)
  • Hundred - the weakest one this season; there's hardly anything I haven't already seen in way too many anime; 6/10
  • Kiznaiver - technical aspects are simply great (well, it's Trigger work :-)) and the story finally is getting somewhere; 8.5/10 (either 9 or 8 when it finish airing)
  • Koutetsujou no Kabaneri - amazing animation and soundtrack, the rest is noticeable weaker but overall still very good; 8/10
  • Mayoiga - really good mystery anime and it seems it's finally getting to the good parts; 7.5/10 (either 8 or 7 when it ends)
  • Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? - as I expected it's really enjoyable to watch; two latest episodes made me laugh really hard :D so far 7/10
  • Onigiri - found this one via "Help identify this anime thread". Nothing really good but it's a short one and so it doesn't matter that much; 6/10
  • Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - this is my AotS. Animation might not be as amazing as in Kabaneri but everything else is much better. Easily 9/10 so far.
  • Sakamoto desu ga? - the jokes got a little bit repetitive but it's still a really good comedy to watch; 7/10
  • Sousei no Onmyouji - it was a while since I watched a good battle shounen anime. So far 7/10
  • Uchuu Patrol Luluco - short anime of the season :D KLK references in newest episode made my day :-) 7.5/10 (either 8 or 7 when it ends)
  • Wagamama High Spec - I don't know if this anime has or will have any kind of plot, but it's hilarious to watch. 6/10
May 15, 2016 10:23 PM

Mar 2014
Midseason ratings are fun! Here are mine, in rank order:

1. Macross Delta (8/10) - pretty much as enjoyable as I could have hoped for so far
2. Flying Witch (7.5/10) - wonderful SOL
3. Joker Game (7.5/10) - lack of an overarching plot hurts, but the individual episodes are all strong
4. Kaitou Joker season 3 (7/10) - KJ's become a reliable staple in my seasonal lineups
5. Twin Star Exorcists (7/10) - and I want to read the manga now
6. High School Fleet (6.5/10) - it's not Girls und Panzer, but it's still pretty good in its own way
7. Bakuon (6/10) - a bit raunchier than I'd prefer, but still very funny most of the time
8. Space Patrol Luluco (6/10)
9. Bungou Stray Dogs (5/10)

Keep in mind, 8/10 is usually the maximum score I'll give any TV series on a first watch, unless it's something really super-special. Yuki Yuna and Euphonium are the only new shows in the last two years I've made exceptions for, and those both ended up on my top ten favorites list.

Dropped: Mayoiga, Anne Happy, Ace Attorney, Wagamama High Spec. I probably would've kept Mayoiga in a weaker season (like Winter), but the other three were doing nothing for me.

mozgow said:

[*] Bungou Stray Dogs - this is a really interesting mix of comedy and some seriousness; 7.5/10 (it can either rise to 8/10 or drop to 7/10)

My biggest issue with this series so far is the tone of it. There's nothing wrong with mixing comedy and serious, but the comedy has defused the tension so thoroughly that it feels too light right now, like there's no real stakes here.

mozgow said:
[*] Flying Witch - SoL of the season or maybe even the year :-) easily 8/10

Seconded

mozgow said:
[*] Uchuu Patrol Luluco - short anime of the season :D KLK references in newest episode made my day :-) 7.5/10 (either 8 or 7 when it ends)

Agreed. I haven't even seen KLK, and I still got a good laugh out of that. Luluco also has my favorite ED of the season - mostly for the song, though the visuals are quite distinctive.
May 15, 2016 11:07 PM

Jul 2014
WingKing said:
Dropped: Mayoiga, Anne Happy, Ace Attorney, Wagamama High Spec.
Mayoiga was really slow in the start but it seems it's finally getting somewhere (newest episode was solid good). Wagamama might be to random to watch but it's short enough to keep it on my list :-)

WingKing said:
mozgow said:

[*] Bungou Stray Dogs - this is a really interesting mix of comedy and some seriousness; 7.5/10 (it can either rise to 8/10 or drop to 7/10)

My biggest issue with this series so far is the tone of it. There's nothing wrong with mixing comedy and serious, but the comedy has defused the tension so thoroughly that it feels too light right now, like there's no real stakes here.
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I gave it 7.5 and not 8 (as I love the animation style and soundtrack :-))

If you have some spare time in your schedule, then I highly recommend Re:Zero. I thought that "Boku Dake ga Inai Machi" from last season was a master of cliffhangers. Well, I know it might be hard to believe, but Re:Zero is even better in this. It's literally killing me to wait whole week for next episode :D
May 16, 2016 8:00 AM

Mar 2014
@mozgow: I have no spare time. Six streaming shows is a full season for me, and pretty much the upper limit of my "comfort zone." Trying to keep up with nine has been a huge challenge (especially on top of needing time to watch and write my Spotlights too!), but I don't want to drop anything else because I'm enjoying them all too much. If I absolutely had to drop something else it would be Bungou, mainly because it's two-cour and my plate for the summer season is already beyond full even without it. I have at least seven must-watches circled already (Food Wars 2, Orange, Rewrite, Love Live Sunshine, Amanchu, Berserk, and the second cour of Macross Delta), and I haven't even looked at the plot summaries for any of the other 35 new shows coming out yet.
WingKingMay 16, 2016 8:06 AM
May 16, 2016 9:08 AM

Jul 2014
I know your pain :-)
Too many anime to watch, too little time.

I just checked my summer PTW list and I already have 14 anime on it :D
May 16, 2016 9:15 PM

Mar 2014
I was having a little fun earlier today thinking up some advertising slogans for some of these shows.

Bungou Stray Dogs: "It's more fun than a double suicide."
High School Fleet: "Come for the cute girls, stay for the ill-tempered, mutated sea rats."
Joker Game: "It'll take more than an ace up your sleeve to win this game."
Space Patrol Luluco: "She just wanted to be normal. She ended up in a Trigger anime."
Bakuon: "Want your bike washed?"
May 23, 2016 5:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Macross Delta (because Macross)

Joker Game (WWII spies? How could I not!)

Space Patrol Luluco
Kiznaiver (I love Trigger's mad style)

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Attack on Titan with trains and awesome Haruhiko Mikimoto designs)
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 8, 2016 6:51 AM

Feb 2016
I've dropped more shows this season than any other season. I think that's a combination of not only trying to watch more than I normally do, but then also suddenly not having as much time to watch, so I had to make cuts.

Anyway...

Still watching:

Big Order - Probably one of my favorites this season. I like the reality that if people got super powers/wishes they'd all be either villains or just selfish at best. My only major complaint is the inconsistency of the power levels. MC is supposed to be all-powerful, but is often restricted somehow or some other power trumps his in some circumstance.

Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song - Still enjoyable, and while it's gained a bit in being more direct with its storyline over the first season, has also lost some in not using the flashback/flash forward format of the first season that showed either the cause and effect of different events but also the contradictions and growth of characters over time.

Kiznaiver - I like Trigger's stuff, and the art is good. I'm waiting for some kind of reveal that shows a deeper reason behind binding people together like they are.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri - The biggest hype going into the season. The art and music are solid, though if I'm completely honest the characters and story are a bit disappointing. It's not bad at all, and certainly still worth watching, I just don't think it lives up to the hype. The "hybrid colony" a few eps ago was just a silly idea that made it seem they really wanted to get back to AoT.

Kuromukuro - I was on the fence with this early on, but it's grown on me as it's gone on. It's still not doing anything revolutionary, and it feels familiar to some shows I've seen in the past, but not in a bad way.

Magi: Sinbad no Bouken - I loved the Magi series and while I saw the Sinbad character as kind of an obnoxious Mary Sue, I was still willing to watch a spinoff of his past to maybe see him in a new light. It's not bad, but I miss the dialogue and relationships of the original Magi cast. Sinbad is on his own, and has not yet (ep 5) gained any actual traveling companions/friends to play off of.

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? - It's light and harmless. It can get funny at times and hasn't done anything to make me hate it. It's one of the few shows with a male MC surrounded by an all-female ensemble where they all aren't competing over him.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Another top pick for this season. If you watched the first half of the first episode and wrote it off, you're missing out. Every episode I watch the MC intently struggling to get one step closer to solving the mystery while trying to make it to the next survival "checkpoint" all while still maintaining/building relationships with people who don't know him as well as he knows them by virtue of his personal time loop. His decisions to try and cheat the system or to write an attempt off as a failure but use the chance to learn something before he dies, coupled with the visceral death scenes and his very real fear of death make for a compelling combination.

Dropped:

Endride - I stuck with this longer than I should have. I kept wanting it to be better. Ultimately it felt like a chore sitting through it. 2 unlikeable MCs that refuse to grow, coupled with a supporting cast of uninteresting background characters that pretend to add something when they don't. It's disappointing fantasy at best.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk second season - I didn't drop this so much as I just didn't start it, but I had intended to and felt it deserved mention. I watched the first season and was ready to continue the second out of a sense of duty. When my watching time was impacted near the start of the season, I kept pushing this off to try other shows, only to face the fact that I didn't even actually like the first season and found it generic. So I ultimately decided to just not bother with it again.

Hundred - It didn't take long to realize I'd seen this before a dozen times.

Onigiri - It was a short, so I figured I could watch it with Wagamama. Unfortunately it lacked humor and/or fan service (at least Bikini Warriors had both of those in a short), so what was the point?

Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalities - Another disappointing fantasy. I thought it might be worthwhile at the beginning, but as the episodes went on, the MC revealed he was nothing but a spoiled doofus with no skill and no desire to even try and get better. His menagerie was full of lost opportunities whose only action was to stand there and make snide comments aside from the big guardian guy who pretty much bailed everyone out every time. Except when they needed a Deus Ex Machina to save them from something too strong, which is when the MC would either summon or be possessed by the dragon. Yawn.

Sousei no Onmyouji - I don't have too much to say about this, it simply wasn't my cup of tea, and I had to drop one more show. The others I kept simply interested me more.

Wagamama High Spec - The other short of the season. Unfortunately it just wasn't as funny as I expected and I had no reason to keep up with it.
Jun 8, 2016 8:49 AM

Jul 2014
@Noraf46
Few more words about Hundred.

It started terribad, with cliché over cliché over cliché. But it got a bit better later (better, but still I wouldn't say it's anything good), with few really good (or even great) moments. Too bad that those good moments were ruined with overused cliché (like "accidental" boob grab after some really good scene).

I don't know what to blame (source material or the adaptation) but if it only dropped all that badly used cliché, it could be a good anime.
Jun 8, 2016 8:06 PM

Mar 2014
Noraf46 said:
Sousei no Onmyouji - I don't have too much to say about this, it simply wasn't my cup of tea, and I had to drop one more show. The others I kept simply interested me more.

These last few episodes have been the best so far, IMO, with the show starting to settle into a nice groove after some early rough patches. At the same time, the rumors that this is going to be a 50-episode series are looking more and more likely to be true (at the very minimum we know it'll be at least 24 episodes, since they've already announced it's getting new OP and ED songs in July). So for anyone like you who isn't feeling it, now is probably the right time to bail. For me, it's become one of the shows I've found myself looking forward to the most every week, so I'm definitely in it for the long haul.
Jun 9, 2016 6:06 AM

Feb 2016
@WingKing If it turns out to be a 50-episode deal I might give it another look, especially if it improves after the early eps. If I had more time I probably would have stuck with it a little longer at least and might not have dropped it at all.
Jun 13, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2008
Dang, with my practice schedule and doing a marathon watch of "Your Lie In April", I'm suddenly far behind in this season's animes. :(

Bakuon! (yes, the washing scene)
Macross Delta (a touch of Gundam in this one)
Kuma Miko (I see nobody is watching it. It's quite funny almost to a Shirokuma Cafe level)
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (TV) (started it, just need to catch up. Improved detail over the 2 episode OVA)

Jul 17, 2016 3:49 AM

Jul 2014
Finally watched at least one episode for every anime I'm going to watch this season (well, with the exception of Momokuri and ReLIFE which I plan to binge-watch). Here are my initial thoughts :-)

• 91 Days - first episode was simply great; second was a bit weaker but still very good (this is a rare example of anime not set in Japan or Japan-like country)
  • Amaama to Inazuma - I can't help but constantly smile while watching this :-) Characters, their reactions and interactions are amazing :-)
  • Amanchu! - for me it's the true spiritual successor to Aria :-)
  • Fukigen na Mononokean - nothing really outstanding but this is a really good comedy to watch
  • Handa-kun - another good comedy with MC who is totally misunderstood by others :-P
  • Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - school RomCom mix with female protagonists and male MC loving 2D-girls (or waifus). While it might not sound like something good, actually it is very good (with quite a few great moments)
  • Masou Gakuen HxH - it seems that someone was not given permission to make hentai, so he made this instead. If it was hentai, I would prise it for actual plot and good characters. Since it isn't, I can only bash it for way too many lewd moments.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - yet another really good comedy this season (this season we have plenty of those :-))
  • Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin - I'm really pleasantly surprised by this one. Really good animation, unique cast and intriguing setting - I just hope it would deliver what it promise.
  • Orange - Romance, Drama and time-travel - this is the mix MAL likes the most (and I'm not the exception :-P).
  • Ozmafia!! - it's really hard to say what this anime want to be. It has some really good moments but also some really bad.
  • Qualidea Code - so far nothing really good but I sense great potential in it. First, the MC who is selfish, arrogant and thinks lowly of others. Second, a feel that something is really wrong with this world (and I do not mean all the Unknown things).
  • Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - pretty good animation-wise but not so good otherwise. We'll see how it will continue.
  • Rewrite - After first episode I have way too many questions to even try to comprehend what is going on in this story. But at the same time it's intriguing enough to keep watching it.
  • Taboo Tattoo - After first episode I would say it's nothing really special, but shit got real pretty quick in the second episode. It seems it would be a really good (or maybe even great) action series.
  • Tales of Zestiria the X - as you would expect anime based on game, it has a really good and intriguing story and setting. Characters did not have much time to shine, but I do not expect this anime to fail in that aspect.
  • Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume - so far it's solid good, but I sense a really sad story along the way.
mozgowAug 10, 2016 9:00 AM
Jul 17, 2016 11:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
91 Days (love the Prohibition Era setting)
Food Wars (Because food orgasms are fantastic)
Berserk (bad adaptation of a great manga)
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 18, 2016 9:50 AM

Feb 2012
I generally don't watch seasonals anymore since at some point I realized I have some tried and proven options available for me in the infinite backlog. I've only half-picked up Amanchu and that'll be all. Kind of interested in how the Planetarian adaption is, being a fan of the VN, but since it kind of works as a very special POV story, I can't see any way it would be better as anime so I'll rather to do other things instead.
Aug 10, 2016 5:46 AM

Feb 2016
Got back into a fairly set schedule so I haven't had to drop anything I picked up this season. Anyway, here's what I've picked up:

Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari 2nd - Second season of Active Raid. I enjoyed the first one, so this was an easy pick. More of the same, with a few cast members rotated out. I think some of the in-universe reasons were a bit nonsensical, but I guess they wanted to do it to try and keep the series fresh/show new Willwear designs without bloating the roster.

Ange Vierge - I watched this for the Strike Witches vibe, though it's fairly simple and shallow. For no reason other than to increase BD sales, the entire cast wanders around nude for anywhere between 15-70% of any given episode. Pretty much if it's not an action scene it's a bath scene, and nothing happens during these to warrant them being naked, it's just dialogue. Unfortunately the censor of choice here is blinding lens flares of doom, making a great deal of the scenes blinding and washed out. I'd honestly prefer if they were fully clothed and talking in a normal setting, which isn't something I thought I'd ever say. As it stands, I have plenty of time and no need to drop anything, but this is at the top of my drop list should I feel a time pinch. I only found out this is apparently based off a mobile game after I was a few episodes in. Had I known that from the beginning I wouldn't have even given it a chance.

Kuromukuro - Carried over from last season. Still enjoying it though I'm a little disappointed that it feels like they're going to make all the female aliens unkillable/redeemable by virtue of them being girls. That's the only honest complaint I have, though. Otherwise a decent series.

Masou Gakuen HxH - I'm not going to make any excuses for this. I'm watching it for the same reason anyone else watches these things. This is effectively softcore porn.

Mob Psycho 100 - Probably one of my faves this season. I didn't know it was by the same people who did One Punch Man, but it became clear quickly. Really funny, with interesting visuals and characters. Highly recommended.

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin - Really liking this one. Military tactics in a pseudo-magical world. Smooth animation and interesting characters. I look forward to seeing how things unfold and am interested in finding out more about the 2 countries at war.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Continuing from last season. Still one of my most looked-forward to shows each week. The last few episodes have been pretty brutal and painful, and I'm hoping Subaru actually starts to grow into a stronger protagonist after suffering and failing so much.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - Girls transforming into and piloting giant robots with the power of love, what's not to like? Seriously, though, the animation and mecha designs are cool, but the story isn't much to get excited for. A fairly middle-of-the-road series, but good enough that I have no problem tuning in. The one thing that bothered me so far was how the main mecha escaped/beat the magician/trickster guy's trap by just punching harder. I'll buy that in some series like TTGL, but here it just felt lazy and disappointing.

Rewrite - I picked this up on a whim a couple eps in without knowing anything about it. For the first 30 minutes of the first episode (it was a double-length first ep like Re: Zero) I wasn't impressed, but I'm glad I stuck with it. It straddles this line between playing like a straight high school club show and then switching to some magical mystery thing, with almost no indication that it's going to happen, but makes it work.

Scared (Scarred or Scar-red) Rider Xechs - Power Rangers in a band. Not the kind of thing I usually go in for, but what the hell. It's not as bad as some would make it out to be, but it's not doing anything great either. It's a pretty simple, straightforward show. Honestly I think I stick with it more out of defiance of the people calling it bad than actually liking the show itself. This would be another easy drop if I needed to. I would like it more if they actually put some effort into the action scenes, as it is now there never seems to be any danger, agency, or cool fighting moves. It's just ride in, shoot ineffectively, then have the guitar pick beam of death win the day. Which I guess is a standard method for Power Rangers now that I think about it. It would also be nice if, since the series is themed around music and them forming a band, they actually had some good music. Thus far no one's actually performed a song yet, other than the guy that tends to sing a couple lines rather than speak.

Taboo Tattoo - I was about to call this show a wash from episode 1, but stuck with it due to my almost flawless "3 ep minimum" policy. The first ep had terrible camera movements, atrocious pacing (it honestly felt like I was watching it in x2 speed), eye-rolling humor, and seemed to want to be edgy for the sake of edge. The 2nd through 4th episodes turned it around for me, though. The show got much better with its action, animation, camera work, and speed. It turned into a functional and somewhat interesting action anime. Granted, they should stay far away from anything "comedic" because they are no good at it, but otherwise it was worthwhile for the action. Then ep 5 came along, and about halfway through brought back the "hyperspasticOMGlulz" and I wanted to reach through and strangle the people responsible for this. Hopefully when I watch ep 6 it will be go back to being watchable.
Aug 10, 2016 7:00 PM

Jul 2010
Mob 100-So far so good.

Twin Star Exorcist-Me likey.

Alderamin on the Sky-Yes.

Servamp-Hmmm...
Oct 9, 2016 3:52 AM

Jul 2014
Finally watched at least one episode of every anime I planned to watch this season.
Oct 9, 2016 7:01 PM

Dec 2008
Only three really catch my eye for the fall season:
Katsugeki Shoujo Tanteidan(sounds like fun), Urban Square: Kouhaku no Tsuigeki(always up for a good mystery) and Toki no Tabibito: Time Stranger(premise has promise).

And as a back-up plan, I'd like to take a look at Saint Seiya and, if I can find a subtitled version of it, Tabako Ippon no Story: Heart Cocktail. Although Heart Cocktail is more of a narrated slide show than it is anime, the premise sounds intriguing.
Oct 17, 2016 5:50 AM

Feb 2016
After trying a number of series, finally nailed down my watch list for this season.

Still watching Regalia, as it's running again after that strange mid-season hiatus.

Ajin, Bubuki Buranki, and Brave Witches - I enjoyed the first seasons/original series of these, so it was a no-brainer for me to pick them up. None have dissapointed me so far.

Drifters - I watched the special about a month ago and it seemed pretty cool. Famous historical figures thrown into a parallel world upon their death. I like the action and art style, I'm intrigued to find out what's going on with the whole situation and the various players that understand what the "Drifters" are and how they plan to use them or fight them. Since the characters are all significant figures, they all have egos to go with them, which helps them stand out and propel the action, and even the comedy bits. My only complaint so far is that the first 2 eps are nearly the same as the 40-minute special, with only a couple small extra scenes, so I have to wait for ep 3 to see something new.

Flip Flappers - This show is trippy. 2 girls partner up for weird adventures in a strange parallel world called "Pure Illusion." Apparently they need each other in order to flip between worlds and they can each power up when the other is in danger. There's some kind of weird secret organization focused on "freeing" the other world. Overall a fun fantasy show.

Keijo!!!!! - I came for the fanservice, I stayed for the over-the-top super butt attacks and puns.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku - The description screamed Madoka, but that was alright by me. This one however doesn't hide the dark side of its magic. By ep 2 things have gotten real. Weirdly even boys can be magical girls in this series, and they become completely female when transformed. My mind weeps at the inevitable doujins.

Nanbaka - I was on the fence about this one. The first ep didn't really sell me on the comedy of 4 prisoners trying to escape, but the 2nd ep was a vast improvement both in characters and comedy. I don't get why everything is sparkly, but whatever. Part of me wants the end of the series to be that everything was all in one prisoner's head (to explain the sparkles) and that the 4 of them are actually normal prisoners stuck in a crappy cell who have just been daydreaming.

Shuumatsu no Izetta - This had to have one of the best 1st eps I've ever seen. Opening with a tense train escape scene, a little political intrigue, and ending with a gun-rding witch shooting down fighter planes. The ending scene of ep 3 was completely badass. I don't want to spoil anything, but imagine Magneto playing with tanks. This is a very strong contender for AOTS for me.

Soul Buster - Somewhat unsure with this one. The heavy line shading that's overlaid in every scene is distracting at best. It feels very out of place in a lot of scenes, and only kind of works in others. When fights break out, we get ink splotches a la Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls. It's a 15-minute episode format, which I wasn't expecting. I'm worried that the condensed format will mean cutting out a lot of character and plot development in favor of summoning warriors from cards to fight.

Beyond that, continuing to plug away at Hunter x Hunter (2011).
Desert_GuyOct 17, 2016 5:55 AM
Oct 17, 2016 6:40 PM

Jun 2008
Okay, series I'll be watching this season, and there are a lot. Many of the titles are good. A couple are guilty pleasures (I'll let you guess which ones).

3-gatsu no Lion
All Out!!
Chi's Sweet Home (2016)
Getsuyoubi no Tawawa
Gi(a)rish Number
Haikyuu!! 3
Hibike Euphonium 2
Long Riders!
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!
Vivid Strike!
www.Working!!
Yuri!!! on Ice

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The Heroic Legend of Arslan (2015) - May 2024 Group Watch

whiteflame55 - May 19

44 by jdvz »»
Yesterday, 1:03 PM

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

72 by 23feanor »»
May 23, 12:50 AM

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2912 by 23feanor »»
May 22, 10:27 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

836 by Evans_Born »»
May 21, 5:09 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.