Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 11, 2013 3:21 PM

Aug 2010
Great development for the king. For a second I thought the King went back to how he used to be but I'm glad that I was wrong.

That moment at the end of the episode.. man HxH is amazing. Seeing a villain who isn't one dimensional is pretty rare in shounen manga.

5/5
Dec 11, 2013 3:26 PM

Sep 2011
-GiaN- said:
DEMS Feels. The king is lolicon

Uhm... Komugi is older than the King...
Dec 11, 2013 3:58 PM

Jan 2008
This episode was incredible. It's been a while since a single episode of any anime has made me feel like this one did. That was actually an amazing performance by the king. Give the man his Oscar.

Dec 11, 2013 5:03 PM

Nov 2013
masaba said:
This episode was incredible. It's been a while since a single episode of any anime has made me feel like this one did. That was actually an amazing performance by the king. Give the man his Oscar.

Oh yeah, and that's why I don't mind his hiatus.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Dec 11, 2013 5:09 PM

Jul 2013
pkKodama said:
masaba said:

Oh yeah, and that's why I don't mind his hiatus.
It was precisely around when these chapters were released that the monthly-yearly hiatuses had begun.

It's good for it to have happened around that time since all the setup for this arc was nearly complete.
Dec 11, 2013 5:19 PM

Sep 2012
Anyway, that ending scene made me tear up a little. Such an adorable scene. I used to think of Meruem/Komugi as a innocent fluff relationship but then I read *that* pixiv comic.

Pouf's puddle of tears lol. He's like an emo Hisoka. And he thinks he's smarter than Youpi. lol.

Also Komugi really reminded me of a rugrat this episode. LOL

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
LunaDec 12, 2013 3:26 AM
Dec 11, 2013 6:47 PM
Sep 2013
Okay if you read the manga, they just did everything 100x better. Everything from the direction to the music placement was on the dot. They made everything a lot more intense, bravo! On another note, I used to think MH miscast Pouf's seiyuu but he did a great job this episode, LMAO!
Dec 11, 2013 6:53 PM

Mar 2011
OMG, Pouf is so funny! This was the best episode in a long time.
Dec 11, 2013 7:54 PM

Jan 2008
I'm getting pretty tired of this honestly. I really do hope something actually happens soon.

Couldn't care less if it was perfectly or even adapted better that the manga, this is just getting a bit tedious to watch.

I'm aware of the King's character growth but all in all, I honestly don't care the slightest bit.
Dec 11, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2008
Paul said:
I'm getting pretty tired of this honestly. I really do hope something actually happens soon.

Couldn't care less if it was perfectly or even adapted better that the manga, this is just getting a bit tedious to watch.

I'm aware of the King's character growth but all in all, I honestly don't care the slightest bit.

It's only tedious if you haven't invested yourself into the characters or just want the action to begin. Honestly, I can't remember the last episode that I wasn't immensely entertained or at least captivated by, such as this last one. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.
Dec 11, 2013 9:55 PM

Nov 2013
Just wow. The character development of the King was quite amazing changing him from a heartless beast to someone who truly cares for someone. Komugi may serve as the King's kryptonite at this point.

Dec 11, 2013 10:47 PM

Oct 2010
Paul said:

There are plenty of shows out there that are just mindless action, why not pick one of them up?
Dec 11, 2013 11:17 PM

Dec 2011
There it is, the King is looking for his name! Woohoo. I can't wait for the selection to start.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2013 12:09 AM

Dec 2012
Paul said:

I completely agree with you. This fits for what's happening in every episode but this one and that's only because I care about Komugi and the King other than that everything else is lackluster and not because of the lack of action.
Dec 12, 2013 2:06 AM
Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
Paul said:

I completely agree with you. This fits for what's happening in every episode but this one and that's only because I care about Komugi and the King other than that everything else is lackluster and not because of the lack of action.

Then what is the cause, poor writing? Lol. I'll admit that I found a few episodes such as 79, 89 and a few episodes in the 90s, specifically, 92, 94 and 96 to be sub-par for different reasons but mediocrity has been absent ever since we hit the 100s. When it comes to content? I barely have any complaints. A lot of things are happening and in my opinion, the episodes after the PT detour have been more than satisfactory. In two episodes (1 2/3 more episodes for the sake of accuracy), the start of the palace invasion will begin so I suggest putting the series on hold or enduring one more episode of build up before shit hits the fan and episodes become more action-packed.
CresherhsmDec 12, 2013 2:14 AM
Dec 12, 2013 2:23 AM

Jul 2013
Cresherhsm said:
tsudecimo said:
Paul said:

Then what is the cause, poor writing? Lol. I'll admit that I found a few episodes such as 79, 89 and a few episodes in the 90s, specifically, 92, 94 and 96 to be sub-par for different reasons but mediocrity has been completely absent ever since we hit the 100s. When it comes to content? I barely have any complaints. A lot of things are happening and in my opinion, the episodes after the PT detour have been more than satisfactory. In two episodes (1 2/3 more episodes for the sake of accuracy), the start of the palace invasion will begin so I suggest putting the series on hold or enduring one more episode of build up before shit hits the fan and episodes become more action-packed.
Agreed. Those episodes.. >.>

I had actually thought all the events would've been much worse after the King's birth in the anime, since most of the stuff by then up to now were my least favorite moments of the entire arc. Ever since the time-shift, by contrast - I've been digging it all more than I initially perceived.

At the same time, Togashi was evidently pretty tired of writing around this point. This is when the series truly became Hiatus x Hiatus.

It's no secret - pretty much everyone a decade ago considered this their least favorite arc.
What can I say? Yorkshin was awesome, while there's no denying CA simply being is what it is.
GalekCDec 12, 2013 2:39 AM
Dec 12, 2013 2:53 AM

Dec 2012
Cresherhsm said:

Then what is the cause, poor writing? Lol. I'll admit that I found a few episodes such as 79, 89 and a few episodes in the 90s, specifically, 92, 94 and 96 to be sub-par for different reasons but mediocrity has been absent ever since we hit the 100s. When it comes to content? I barely have any complaints. A lot of things are happening and in my opinion, the episodes after the PT detour have been more than satisfactory. In two episodes (1 2/3 more episodes for the sake of accuracy), the start of the palace invasion will begin so I suggest putting the series on hold or enduring one more episode of build up before shit hits the fan and episodes become more action-packed.

It doesn't have anything to do with poor writing, Togashi's writing is always well thought and consistent. The problem for me is the lack of excitement and the lack of significant events happening. Most people watching were impressed by how the chimera ant arc is dark and has death, I wasn't impressed at all or even remotely interested in that. I don't really feel any sort of tension from the fights with the chimera ants. This arc made me lose even more interest in Gon and care for him even less, he is always an after thought even though he is the protagonist, while some of the fans might like this, I honestly don't. His conflict so far has been done before ( him crying because he failed). So far I'm only interest in his future scene that will make him go berserk, but that's about it.

Yes those episodes were so and so and the whole fight to get into NGL with Gon and Killua against Knuckles have been a colossal waste of time IMHO. Killua's character development also bugged me, because it was dragged out, his monologue about his brother and fear of abandoning Gon was pretty repetitive.

I originally had it on hold for 8 episodes. And caught up a week ago and those were my thoughts:

''Damn I missed HxH, I think I listened to the ED song like 22 times or something. That said, I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that the plot didn't move much, I was expecting some major plot developments or events before I marthoned the last 8 episodes. I'm not that interested in the abilities of some of the chimera ants, they are rather boring tbh, that cheeta and lion ( thank god he died) etc a lot of time is being wasted explaining their abilities and how they work. I wish they would just kill them early if they are not important, they keep making an appearance after another with nothing that affects the plot in a major way, I hope there is good reason for giving them that much screen time. I would much rather see more of the King and his body guards especially Neferpitou. The episodes are mainly just build up and I hope they pay off. I did enjoy the episodes but they are dragged out in some places and now I feel like I made a mistake since I'm back to waiting for a new episode each week.

The only thing that REALLY caught my interest and I loved was the introduction of Komugi. I loved her dialogue with the King, I was just glued to the screen during their scenes. Her character design is quirky which fits her. I'm really excited about her future role in the series and I feel like I'm gonna be mind blown with it, I can't wait for the big fight overall. Oh and Ikaglo is funny as fuck LOL
.''

So far Komugi and the King and their interactions are the only events making this arc worth watching to me. I only had goosebumps and felt excitement during their scenes even though they weren't action scenes. I honestly don't like or rather not interested in action that much. I prefer something interesting, great interactions and character shine moments or a crazy development more than action.

The chimera arc so far is nowhere as good, exciting, captivating and thrilling as the yorkshin arc/ Genei ryodan arc.
tsudecimoDec 12, 2013 2:59 AM
Dec 12, 2013 3:23 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread Cleaned.
Please see the rule in the first post of each episode discussion thread:
This is an anime only dicussion post. Do not discuss the manga beyond this episode.
Dec 12, 2013 3:53 AM

Dec 2010

The chimera arc so far is nowhere as good, exciting, captivating and thrilling as the yorkshin arc/ Genei ryodan arc.

yorkshin and chimera ant both arcs serve different purposes for hunter-verse . togashi's intention and aim from these 2 arcs are nowhere near similar hence arc structure and build-up has to differ . ant arc could never achieve some aspect that yorkshin did masterfully . similarly yorkshin gets inferior to some aspects where ant arc shines brilliantly ....

comparing 2 arcs of same mangaka and same manga where the difference of arc length are huge at scale of only good or bad may not be the best idea .we know both of them are good , exciting and captivating .... you just have to consider best possible arc structure within 2 different arc length and mangaka's intention from them ... as both of them belongs to the same story line .
headless_nickDec 12, 2013 4:11 AM
Dec 12, 2013 4:44 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:

Re the extra fights (Gon/Knuckle, Morel/ants) I think those fights were important because they expanded the storyline - explored the ants' ability to use nen, explored the abilities of Gon's allies going in with him on this exceedingly dangerous mission. If there is one thing the author is good at, it's world building. The story itself isn't strictly linear, you get a good sense of the many people around the main characters and that makes hxh enjoyable imo.

The lack of action at this point in this arc is deliberate. The board games, the careful planning to gain the slightest advantage over the king's deputies before launching an attack is centred around strategy, a motif carried over from previous arcs. Yorkshin was amazing but CA with its slow build is working well imo.
Dec 12, 2013 5:03 AM

Jan 2011
tsudecimo said:
I prefer something interesting, great interactions and character shine moments or a crazy development more than action.

just wait for the invasion.
is too early to say that and then you give your final opinion.
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Dec 12, 2013 5:34 AM

Dec 2012
I know, which is why I said ''so far''.
Dec 12, 2013 6:36 AM
Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
Cresherhsm said:

It doesn't have anything to do with poor writing, Togashi's writing is always well thought and consistent. The problem for me is the lack of excitement and the lack of significant events happening. Most people watching were impressed by how the chimera ant arc is dark and has death, I wasn't impressed at all or even remotely interested in that. I don't really feel any sort of tension from the fights with the chimera ants. This arc made me lose even more interest in Gon and care for him even less, he is always an after thought even though he is the protagonist, while some of the fans might like this, I honestly don't. His conflict so far has been done before ( him crying because he failed). So far I'm only interest in his future scene that will make him go berserk, but that's about it.

Yes those episodes were so and so and the whole fight to get into NGL with Gon and Killua against Knuckles have been a colossal waste of time IMHO. Killua's character development also bugged me, because it was dragged out, his monologue about his brother and fear of abandoning Gon was pretty repetitive.

I originally had it on hold for 8 episodes. And caught up a week ago and those were my thoughts:

''Damn I missed HxH, I think I listened to the ED song like 22 times or something. That said, I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that the plot didn't move much, I was expecting some major plot developments or events before I marthoned the last 8 episodes. I'm not that interested in the abilities of some of the chimera ants, they are rather boring tbh, that cheeta and lion ( thank god he died) etc a lot of time is being wasted explaining their abilities and how they work. I wish they would just kill them early if they are not important, they keep making an appearance after another with nothing that affects the plot in a major way, I hope there is good reason for giving them that much screen time. I would much rather see more of the King and his body guards especially Neferpitou. The episodes are mainly just build up and I hope they pay off. I did enjoy the episodes but they are dragged out in some places and now I feel like I made a mistake since I'm back to waiting for a new episode each week.

The only thing that REALLY caught my interest and I loved was the introduction of Komugi. I loved her dialogue with the King, I was just glued to the screen during their scenes. Her character design is quirky which fits her. I'm really excited about her future role in the series and I feel like I'm gonna be mind blown with it, I can't wait for the big fight overall. Oh and Ikaglo is funny as fuck LOL
.''

So far Komugi and the King and their interactions are the only events making this arc worth watching to me. I only had goosebumps and felt excitement during their scenes even though they weren't action scenes. I honestly don't like or rather not interested in action that much. I prefer something interesting, great interactions and character shine moments or a crazy development more than action.

To give you an idea of how I view this arc so far, I believe that 76-88 (excluding episode 79) and 99-109 were solid stretches of HxH episodes with the former (76-88) being great and the latter (99-108) being excellent. If there's anything negative I have to point out about this arc it would be the inconsistency of the 90s. The 90s broke the consistent high level of enjoyment this adaption of HxH provided its viewers during its entire run. Although there were great episodes like 93 and 95, they were overwhelmed by the average and mediocre episodes surrounding them (89, 92, 94 and 96), which broke the series long time consistency. Moreover, although I enjoyed episodes 97 and 98, they had a few aspects that kept me from including them into the 99-108 solid episode stretch that I mentioned earlier.

As for your complaint about the current stretch lacking excitement and plot progression, I disagree. I won't argue with you about excitement because that's subjective but I will argue that the last 10 episodes moved the plot forward significantly and that every single event during those episodes were relevant to the story. Gon's fight in episode 99 was necessary for his sub-plot with Meleoron. Killua's fight against Leol's squad was necessary for the development of his Kanmaru ability and introducing Ikalgo. Due to both of these sub-plots, Meleoron and Ikalgo are also incorporated into the Hunter team later on. Morel and Knov's attacks in Peijing are necessary to tie down Pitou and hamper the progress of the selection. Of course, their disruption in the capital led them to an encounter with Leol and co. This is important for several reasons. One, it introduced Knov and Morel's abilities in greater detail as well as showcased their characters as warriors. Two, it led to the capture and death of Flutter which will be important later on. Three, Morel's fight with Leol and Cheetu made him use up most of his energy, which will be really important later on. Four, it gave Royal guards some ideas about their enemies powers (smoke and teleportation). Although not as important, Morel's words to Cheetu during their fight will also play a role later on. As for Knov's infiltration of the palace, the introduction of Komugi and her Gungi games with the King, I don't think I have to explain those. In the end, everything that has happened so far is completely relevant to the story. I guarantee you that after this arc is done, you'll come out with a more favorable outlook towards this portion of the arc and realize its importance to the story.

Although not everyone considers the CA arc to be the best HxH arc, most fans believe its climax, the palace invasion, to be the highest point in the series (the invasion is what makes this arc the closest contender to Yorknew. it's also the reason for most of the hype surrounding the CA arc). Personally, this is my second favorite arc after Yorknew and had it not been for its inconsistencies, it would've been my favorite. Most fans believe that this arc picked up steam and never looked back with the introduction with Komugi while I believe that it started with Gon's fight vs Bat and Owl. On the other hand, you have yet to be impressed with this arc so hey, different strokes for different folks. Hopefully, you'll end up liking this arc like I did.
CresherhsmDec 12, 2013 11:21 PM
Dec 12, 2013 7:29 AM

Dec 2012
Well you obviously know stuff about the arc that I don't know because you read it. I'm aware that it's mostly build up for the palace invasion and I even mentioned it.

Cresherhsm said:

I will argue that the last 10 episodes moved the plot forward significantly and that every single event during those episodes were relevant to the story. Gon's fight in episode 99 was necessary for his sub-plot with Meleoron. Killua's fight against Leol's squad was necessary for the development of his Kanmaru ability and introducing Ikalgo. Due to both of these sub-plots, Meleoron and Ikalgo are also incorporated into the Hunter team later on.

The plot did move forward but I don't agree that it was significant. At certain parts of these episodes, some scenes feel dragged out. I even remember you saying that in a couple of their episodes discussions. I don't know how important Ikaglo and Meleoron role in the upcoming battle but from the ED they seem to be relevant to the outcomes of the second half so I will give you that.

Cresherhsm said:
Morel and Knov's attacks in Peijing are necessary to tie down Pitou and hamper the progress of the selection. Of course, their disruption in the capital led them to an encounter with Leol and co. This is important for several reasons. One, it introduced Knov and Morel's abilities in greater detail as well as showcased their characters as warriors. Two, it led to the capture and death of Flutter which will be important later on. Three, Morel's fight with Leol and Cheetu made him use up most of his energy, which will be really important later on. Four, it gave Royal guards some ideas about their enemies powers (smoke and teleportation). Although not as important, Morel's words to Cheetu during their fight will also play a role later on

Why would Knovl scenes be important? he is already out of the story and the upcoming battle. Don't you feel the fight between cheeta and Morel was stupid and a waste of time? sure it might have showcased the personality of Morel and his hunter mindset etc but it was kinda pointless in the long run. I also feel Morel's students trying to defeat cheeta was a waste of time, what was the point of that? Will cheeta actually be significant later on ?

Leo's character felt like a complete waste of time, all that talk and screen time about him being a king and trying to overthrow Mermeu. In the end he was killed and his death wasn't important and didn't affect the plot in a major or even minor way. So why was all that screen time wasted on him? just so he can make Morel use most of his energy? there must have been a faster way to achieve this. Leo's character is boring, predictable and a bit annoying so I didn't appreciate his screen time.

Cresherhsm said:
On the other hand, you have yet to be impressed with this arc so hey, different strokes for different folks. Hopefully, you'll end up liking this arc like I did.

Komugi and her interactions and relationship development with the King are more than enough to make me like this arc and enjoy it. I will probably like the second half of the arc. Its just that it's weekly which is why it feels slower and it makes me impatient and want to see more impressive stuff.

Only 2 more episodes until shit hits the fan, right?
Dec 12, 2013 11:23 AM

Aug 2013
Couple in love ........ now we should add romance to H X H genre lol
He asked for her name .... he wanted a name ....... he didn't kill her instead he saved her and was worried when she was covered with blood seriously ............. IT'S LOVE lol
I ship those two now xD I hope that it'll end up as I predict!

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 12, 2013 11:40 AM

May 2012
tsudecimo said:
Well you obviously know stuff about the arc that I don't know because you read it. I'm aware that it's mostly build up for the palace invasion and I even mentioned it.

Cresherhsm said:

I will argue that the last 10 episodes moved the plot forward significantly and that every single event during those episodes were relevant to the story. Gon's fight in episode 99 was necessary for his sub-plot with Meleoron. Killua's fight against Leol's squad was necessary for the development of his Kanmaru ability and introducing Ikalgo. Due to both of these sub-plots, Meleoron and Ikalgo are also incorporated into the Hunter team later on.

The plot did move forward but I don't agree that it was significant. At certain parts of these episodes, some scenes feel dragged out. I even remember you saying that in a couple of their episodes discussions. I don't know how important Ikaglo and Meleoron role in the upcoming battle but from the ED they seem to be relevant to the outcomes of the second half so I will give you that.

You can't tell how they'll be important based on what we've seen?

Why would Knovl scenes be important? he is already out of the story and the upcoming battle. Don't you feel the fight between cheeta and Morel was stupid and a waste of time? sure it might have showcased the personality of Morel and his hunter mindset etc but it was kinda pointless in the long run. I also feel Morel's students trying to defeat cheeta was a waste of time, what was the point of that? Will cheeta actually be significant later on ?

How were Knov's scenes not important? It basically setting up how they will invade the palace and showing how Knov works as a hunter. And did you not see the preview, he's it so no he's not gone. You know everything doesn't have to be immediately important to the overall plot. You can't just speed through everything when the plot is kill the strongest being in the world. All of it served as careful planning to stall and confuse the ants.

As shown Pouf gives people nen abilities, so leaving Cheetu alone would just add up to another problem later on. It seems you want obvious importance instead of thinking about it and what characters say.
KamenRiderX18Dec 12, 2013 11:44 AM
Dec 12, 2013 2:33 PM

Oct 2009
I have read a few comments here and I must say I agree that parts of the chimera ant arc are quite boring. Some fairly minor characters get way too much screentime
and some fairly anecdotal events drag for too long. Between when Kaito gets owned and the invasion, there are maybe 5 to 10 episodes that could be reduced to about 1 or 2.

The part with Komugi is important though and is exempt of the statment above :p.
Dec 12, 2013 2:56 PM
Feb 2013
Cresherhsm said:
tsudecimo said:
Cresherhsm said:

.''

To give you an idea of how I view this arc so far, I believe that 76-88 (excluding episode 79) and 98-109 were solid stretches of HxH episodes with the former (76-88) being great and the latter (99-108) being excellent. If there's anything negative I have to point out about this arc it would be the inconsistency of the 90s. The 90s broke the consistent high level of enjoyment this adaption of HxH provided its viewers during its entire run. Although there were great episodes like 93 and 95, they were overwhelmed by the average and mediocre episodes surrounding them (89, 92, 94 and 96), which broke the series long time consistency. Moreover, although I enjoyed episodes 97 and 98, they had a few aspects that kept me from including them into the 99-108 solid episode stretch that I mentioned earlier.

As for your complaint about the current stretch lacking excitement and plot progression, I disagree. I won't argue with you about excitement because that's subjective but I will argue that the last 10 episodes moved the plot forward significantly and that every single event during those episodes were relevant to the story. Gon's fight in episode 99 was necessary for his sub-plot with Meleoron. Killua's fight against Leol's squad was necessary for the development of his Kanmaru ability and introducing Ikalgo. Due to both of these sub-plots, Meleoron and Ikalgo are also incorporated into the Hunter team later on. Morel and Knov's attacks in Peijing are necessary to tie down Pitou and hamper the progress of the selection. Of course, their disruption in the capital led them to an encounter with Leol and co. This is important for several reasons. One, it introduced Knov and Morel's abilities in greater detail as well as showcased their characters as warriors. Two, it led to the capture and death of Flutter which will be important later on. Three, Morel's fight with Leol and Cheetu made him use up most of his energy, which will be really important later on. Four, it gave Royal guards some ideas about their enemies powers (smoke and teleportation). Although not as important, Morel's words to Cheetu during their fight will also play a role later on. As for Knov's infiltration of the palace, the introduction of Komugi and her Gungi games with the King, I don't think I have to explain those. In the end, everything that has happened so far is completely relevant to the story. I guarantee you that after this arc is done, you'll come out with a more favorable outlook towards this portion of the arc and realize its importance to the story.

Although not everyone considers the CA arc to be the best HxH arc, most fans believe its climax, the palace invasion, to be the highest point in the series (the invasion is what makes this arc the closest contender to Yorknew. it's also the reason for most of the hype surrounding the CA arc). Personally, this is my second favorite arc after Yorknew and had it not been for its inconsistencies, it would've been my favorite. Most fans believe that this arc picked up steam and never looked back with the introduction with Komugi while I believe that it started with Gon's fight vs Bat and Owl. On the other hand, you have yet to be impressed with this arc so hey, different strokes for different folks. Hopefully, you'll end up liking this arc like I did.

Interesting. Could you elaborate a bit on the contradictions/inconsistencies you've mentioned?
Dec 12, 2013 4:26 PM

Nov 2013
It's episodes like this which is why Hunter X Hunter is my favourite anime. Once again great development for the King and Komugi, especially with the ending, it was so beautifully done that I just wanted to hug Komugi after it, she's just so sweet. Plus I loved the look on Meruem's face where he was utterly confused about his feeling for Komugi, he is now officially my favourite villain of all time, Togashi, please come back to writing, we need more of this brilliance.

And a note to anime only viewers, if that ending was enough to bring a tear to your eye, just wait, we have only just begun our voyage to the bottom of the Sea of Feels
"Now, let us drink. Let us drink. Drink to the human race. In every age, there will be good humans and bad humans. Human life is too long to devote to reproduction, yet too short to devote to learning, in the helix of time. Perhaps that is why humans succumb to desire and seek release. Despite the fact that life is complete with the sun, the land and poetry." Supreme Leader Diego(Real) (Hunter x Hunter 2011)
Dec 12, 2013 7:12 PM

Sep 2011
HxH is so great. By far the better 24 minutes of the week in anime.

Togashi <3
RanntaDec 12, 2013 7:19 PM
Dec 12, 2013 7:23 PM
Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
The plot did move forward but I don't agree that it was significant. At certain parts of these episodes, some scenes feel dragged out. I even remember you saying that in a couple of their episodes discussions.
Yeah but now that my "time slot change worries" are greatly lessened, I can easily tolerate two chapter episodes if MH does a good job. A lot of episodes in the 80s were two chapter episodes but that didn't stop me from enjoying them immensely. I think MH did a good job on the two chapter episodes in the 100s as well. The only thing that really ticked me off were the scenes (transition and regular) in episode 106 starting from the "coming in of the trucks" and ending with the girls lining up in front of Bizef. I thought that they should have covered more material (maybe half a chapter?) instead of dragging those scenes out.

Now that I mentioned Bizef, how could I forget Palm? I omitted her in my previous post.

Why would Knovl scenes be important? he is already out of the story and the upcoming battle.

Not at all, he still plays a role in the palace invasion. Granted, it isn't as big of a role as it should have been, since he lost his will to fight, but it's an important role nevertheless.
His infiltration of the palace was extremely crucial, I don't understand how you could call that insignificant. He set up the entry points that would be used during the palace break-in. As I said in my last post, "Morel and Knov's attacks in Peijing are necessary to tie down Pitou and hamper the progress of the selection". If you remember, Gon and Killua ditched the original plan of "waiting the whole thing out" and decided to disrupt the selection which made the others follow suit. Aside from showcasing Knov's abilities and his character as a warrior, his actions in the capital also lead to the capture and death of Flutter which will be really important later on.

sure it might have showcased the personality of Morel and his hunter mindset etc but it was kinda pointless in the long run. I also feel Morel's students trying to defeat cheeta was a waste of time, what was the point of that? Will cheeta actually be significant later on?

The fact that it showcased Morel's abilities and personality as a warrior does not make it pointless in the long run.Morel's fights against Cheetu and Leol fights were also necessary in order to drain his strength.

And all ants, especially the squadron leaders, Royal Guards and the King are important to the story. The CA arc is about trying to contain an outbreak of a dangerous species that poses a threat to humanity. So engaging these ants in combat are relevant to the story since Morel and Knov are Hunters who were assigned the task of putting down the ant outbreak. No, Cheeta will not be important later in the story primarily because he served his purpose but I'm sure you will be very satisfied about how things will turn out with him.

Leo's character felt like a complete waste of time, all that talk and screen time about him being a king and trying to overthrow Mermeu. In the end he was killed and his death wasn't important and didn't affect the plot in a major or even minor way.

His death did effect the plot in a major way. As is the case with Cheetu, Leol's fight showcased Morel's personality as a warrior and weakened him further which will play an important role in the future. The fight also led to the death of a squadron leader, which is not insignificant at all. Furthermore, it was a great fight (Personally, it's my favorite fight in this arc so far, beating Gon's fight in episode 99). I'm sure we could agree on that. Leol was a cocky little punk with an ego problem and he got what he deserved. His build up was worth it too, not only was it a great fight but Leol was really strong. I don't know about you but fighting Leol with that ability in a sealed room is suicide, unfortunately for him, he was facing Morel.

so he can make Morel use most of his energy? there must have been a faster way to achieve this.

Morel and Knov are attacking Peijing, hampering the selection process by killing Pitou's nen puppets. You have two squadron leaders who are in an ideal situation, from a storytelling perspective, to go out and weaken Morel.

1. Pitou is directly concerned with Knov and Morel's attacks and Leol wants to suck up to Pitou (because of his plans). Moreover, Pitou is aware of Leol's intentions and assigns him to do challenging tasks in order to kill him off (he said this after assigning him to deal with Killua).
2. Cheetu has beef with Morel due their encounters in the previous episodes and wants to get even (He goes after Morel because of this).
3. Morel's Deep Purple outclasses Pitou's puppets so if no one came out to fight him afterwards, his strength wouldn't have decreased as much. The only way to weaken Morel further is through a mano-a-mano fight since his puppets are taking care of everything else.
4. Knov and Leol are squadron leaders who aren't dead yet. Leol dies while Morel's words to Cheetu...

If you think there's a better way of doing this, provide one.

Komugi and her interactions and relationship development with the King are more than enough to make me like this arc and enjoy it. I will probably like the second half of the arc. Its just that it's weekly which is why it feels slower and it makes me impatient and want to see more impressive stuff.
Okay, I understand. If you find things boring, fine, I can't argue about enjoyment but it's another thing to say that most of the things that happened so far are insignificant because that's not true. I guess, you can't grasp this so well because you're an anime only viewer and I can't blame you for that (you said this yourself earlier). Who knows, I probably would've felt the same way if I didn't read the manga. That aside, when this arc is over, you could make a thread on this board mentioning at least one scene during the last 10 episodes (99-108) that could have been cut out and we can talk about it. Honestly, the last unnecessary scene that happened was Gon's brief fight with Snake in episode 98, after that, every scene has been necessary.

Only 2 more episodes until shit hits the fan, right?

Yeah, two more episodes. It could either be a cliffhanger or 1-2 chapters of awesomeness. If the next episode covers more than two chapters, you could expect the latter possibility to happen. After episode 110, the series goes on break for a week, so good luck with that. Either way, we will see something it's just a matter of how much we'll see.

AnimageNeby said:

Interesting. Could you elaborate a bit on the contradictions/inconsistencies you've mentioned?

I didn't mean inconsistencies in that way, I meant inconsistencies when it comes to high level of enjoyment. In my opinion, the first 88 episodes of HxH were consistently great and the 90s (I’ll include 89 when I say the 90s) broke that consistency with a bunch of mediocre episodes. Of course, there were great episodes and good episodes but they were surrounded by mediocrity. This ruined the momentum and made any "solid stretch" impossible. However, ever since episode 99, the series has gone back to its usual self, at least, that's how I see it.
CresherhsmDec 13, 2013 1:29 AM
Dec 12, 2013 7:59 PM

Jul 2013
Cresherhsm said:
I didn't mean inconsistencies in that way, I meant inconsistencies when it comes to high level of enjoyment. In my opinion, the first 88 episodes of HxH were consistently great and the 90s (I’ll include 89 when I say the 90s) broke that consistency with a bunch of mediocre episodes. Of course, there were great episodes and good episodes but they were surrounded by mediocrity. This ruined the momentum and made any "solid stretch" impossible. However, ever since episode 99, the series is back to its consistent self, at least, that's how I see it.

In case you remember my post on episode 96 - I did say that it exceeded my expectations. Maybe it seemed pretty "meh" for the most part, but I had come in expecting something exceptionally mediocre, with MadHouse not being in charge of its animation. I'd say the latter half of the episode was nicely done, as they had put a bit more care by then into the production (which had almost never happened before with those types of episodes.
Of course, I had already gotten vast knowledge of the manga by then. So, the animation was basically my only concern.)

^^^This very episode (108) had been handled by the same team. Not bad, right? As of now, I'm enjoying things more as they unfold instead of relentlessly nitpicking every last bit of "PoorHouse" production. XD
GalekCDec 12, 2013 8:10 PM
Dec 12, 2013 8:26 PM
Sep 2013
GalekC said:
In case you remember my post on episode 96 - I did say that it exceeded my expectations. Maybe it seemed pretty "meh" for the most part, but I had come in expecting something exceptionally mediocre, with MadHouse not being in charge of its animation. I'd say the latter half of the episode was nicely done, as they had put a bit more care by then into the production (which had never happened before with those types of episodes.)

^^^This very episode (108) had been handled by the same team. Not bad, right?

Well to start off, I wasn't a big fan of the PT detour when I first watched it (coming off such a great set up episode, I was anxious to see where the main plot was headed). I still am, sort of, though I also understand that it was necessary to show the severity of the ant outbreak, give us more insights about Killua's brother and foreshadow a character who will appear in the future. I used to think that they should have expanded on the introduction and went back to the plot but finishing both episodes made me realize its necessity not only for the reasons above but also because Zazaan was given too much build up to be discarded as an afterthought. Still, I wish they (Togashi and the animation team) did things differently. As you said, the animation was subpar, most of the fights weren't interesting and some of the PT powers were a little too goofy for my taste (Bonolenov's Jupiter and Shalnark's auto pilot). Also, Bonolenov's voice also irritated me to no end.

About episode 108 being done by the same team, are you serious? Not bad at all! =))
Dec 12, 2013 8:43 PM

Jul 2013
Cresherhsm said:
Well to start off, I wasn't a big fan of the PT detour when I first watched it (coming off such a great set up episode, I was anxious to see where the main plot was headed). I still am, sort of, though I also understand that it was necessary to show the severity of the ant outbreak, give us more insights about Killua's brother and foreshadow a character who will appear in the future. I used to think that they should have expanded on the introduction and went back to the plot but finishing both episodes made me realize its necessity not only for the reasons above but also because Zazaan was given too much build up to be discarded as an afterthought. Still, I wish they (Togashi and the animation team) did things differently. As you said, the animation was subpar, most of the fights weren't interesting and some of the PT powers were a little too goofy for my taste (Bonolenov's Jupiter and Shalnark's auto pilot). Also, Bonolenov's voice also irritated me to no end.
According to the initial JUMP magazine chapter-publication dates, the PT detour may or may not have been some strange sort of New Year's celebration of 2005, on top of portraying exposition of the outbreak.

(There was also a page dedicated to celebrating the year 2000 during Yorknew.)
GalekCDec 12, 2013 9:00 PM
Dec 13, 2013 1:00 AM

Jul 2011
I really like the changes that the king is showing. This episode made me change my score on the series from 9 to 10.
Dec 13, 2013 2:07 AM

Jan 2012
HOW DID I END UP CARING ABOUT THE KING MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS ARC
like holy shit the character development
when he was first born i said he was the series best/worst villain ever. and now im torn. he's still the best villain, but for entirely different reasons, and i dont even see him as a villain anymore. i want him to be an anti-hero, i want him to learn and change and rule a little kingdom somewhere in shougi bliss with komugi.
what brilliant writing! the viewers were right there with the king's rollercoaster emotions. i was like, oh fuck no hes evil again what?? and then the whole crow scene and you could just feel his confusion/concern/frustration. you knew he was gonna murder that bitch of a crow

and theyre the ugliest, oddest, and most mismatched couple too. is that why its so endearing? i dont care about the invasion i just hope the king and komugi get a happy ending, which is fucked up cause he murdered like - everyone. itd be on the condition that he reforms, but i can see the mangaka creating some Shakespearian where he's incited into mindless rage and fucks up.

edit: im also getting attached to the kings guard from too much exposure. youpi was adorable with her "but i cant leave my post :(:(:(" stuff, and butterfly dude is hilarious and dramatic and cares too much.
NinahDec 13, 2013 2:10 AM
Dec 13, 2013 2:16 AM
Sep 2013
Congratulations on catching up and..
neenalie said:
what brilliant writing!...

you haven't seen anything yet.
Dec 13, 2013 11:05 AM

May 2013
neenalie said:
HOW DID I END UP CARING ABOUT THE KING MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS ARC
like holy shit the character development
when he was first born i said he was the series best/worst villain ever. and now im torn. he's still the best villain, but for entirely different reasons, and i dont even see him as a villain anymore. i want him to be an anti-hero, i want him to learn and change and rule a little kingdom somewhere in shougi bliss with komugi.
what brilliant writing! the viewers were right there with the king's rollercoaster emotions. i was like, oh fuck no hes evil again what?? and then the whole crow scene and you could just feel his confusion/concern/frustration. you knew he was gonna murder that bitch of a crow

and theyre the ugliest, oddest, and most mismatched couple too. is that why its so endearing? i dont care about the invasion i just hope the king and komugi get a happy ending, which is fucked up cause he murdered like - everyone. itd be on the condition that he reforms, but i can see the mangaka creating some Shakespearian where he's incited into mindless rage and fucks up.

edit: im also getting attached to the kings guard from too much exposure. pitou was adorable with her "but i cant leave my post :(:(:(" stuff, and butterfly dude is hilarious and dramatic and cares too much.

Woow you watched al those episodes in 2 days, damnnnnn you fast! but now u have to wait a whole week for 1 episode -_-

btw, made a correction.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Dec 13, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2012
Cresherhsm said:
Congratulations on catching up and..
neenalie said:
what brilliant writing!...

you haven't seen anything yet.

good to know!

SaSa777 said:
Woow you watched al those episodes in 2 days, damnnnnn you fast! but now u have to wait a whole week for 1 episode -_-

hahah i dont wait for anything weekly except for game of thrones, i like marathoning shounens. youll see me in 3 months :)
Dec 13, 2013 4:12 PM

May 2013
I love seeing how complexed the king is. this isnt some ordinary anime. this is perfectness
Dec 13, 2013 9:29 PM

Aug 2013
This episode was simply amazing. I love how the suspense is growing...
Dec 13, 2013 11:43 PM

Feb 2008
you know, this episode plays well than it did in the manga. in the end, despite all his power he could not shake the fact that there is a being he cannot defeat. he is far too smart to not be affected by that. any and all achievement he would get after that would be meaningless without defeating her.
Dec 14, 2013 4:09 AM

May 2012
MERUEM'S SO CUUUUUUUUTE :"> Meruem x Komugi loveteam? :)))) LOL

This episode was soooo adorable :">
Dec 14, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
My God.
This anime is perfection.

I...I just can't.

I'm going to cry when this is all over.
I actually cried in this episode, at the very end of it.

The King and his development and feelings toward Komugi.
ITS SO GREAT.
Dec 14, 2013 3:21 PM

Nov 2012
That scene with the king and Komugi felt a bit too dramatic.
I still wonder where that Eagle came from lol
RX-782Dec 14, 2013 3:26 PM
Dec 14, 2013 8:37 PM
Dec 2013
This episode made Chimera ants my favorite HxH arc.
And i don't read the manga but i got the feel that the king is that underground boss i think his name was Gyro or something (right or wrong please don't tell me).
Anyway really enjoyed character development.
Dec 15, 2013 2:06 AM

Aug 2010
Wasn't too bad an episode, but it just feels like filler to me at the moment...probably because i am dieing to see the chairman take on the king lol
Dec 15, 2013 2:27 AM
May 2013
The king is becoming rather attached to Kumogi! I wonder how their relationship will develop!!
Dec 15, 2013 2:28 AM
May 2013
paulp1988 said:
Wasn't too bad an episode, but it just feels like filler to me at the moment...probably because i am dieing to see the chairman take on the king lol

Yeah i can't wait for that fight either!!!
Dec 15, 2013 11:49 PM

Mar 2013
Is shia gay or something ? The way he weeps is really disgusting but I liked his violin show.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 147 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2014

393 by Nerdason »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2014

336 by Nerdason »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 145 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2014

266 by Nerdason »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 101 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2013

209 by dspr »»
Yesterday, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

921 by Willex05 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.