Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 9, 2012 6:43 PM

Nov 2012
I have this huge feeling that after witnessing Shun warp everything around him due to his cantus leaking then the Humans were probably warped into Queerats by the Cantus as well. This is just a theory that I has been in my mind for a long time.
Dec 9, 2012 8:12 PM

Jul 2012

ryou’s group, group 2, as seen from picture 1 originally had six members, but then manabu was removed from the system. so why, in the picture 2, does it still say group 2 had six members? if this happened before manabu’s disapparance, then that means that now, group 1 has five members (with ryou), while group 2 has four members, which just defeats the purpose.

can someone explain this or is this a plothole (・ε・ )
Dec 9, 2012 8:23 PM
Dec 2012
walk said:

ryou’s group, group 2, as seen from picture 1 originally had six members, but then manabu was removed from the system. so why, in the picture 2, does it still say group 2 had six members? if this happened before manabu’s disapparance, then that means that now, group 1 has five members (with ryou), while group 2 has four members, which just defeats the purpose.

hmm, you're right, maybe they placed someone else in their group once manabu was removed? You know, changed all their memories and placed someone else,to seem like manabu never existed, so group 2 could still have their 6 members.
this is a little complicated, all this memory losing and past rewriting is confusing me now. maybe the cantus has worked on the author too and he's forgotten about manabu >u<
btw, isn't that girl's hairtyle(snapshot) kinda funny? she had two horns xD
Dec 9, 2012 11:08 PM

Jul 2012
captainpenguin said:
walk said:

hmm, you're right, maybe they placed someone else in their group once manabu was removed? You know, changed all their memories and placed someone else,to seem like manabu never existed, so group 2 could still have their 6 members.
this is a little complicated, all this memory losing and past rewriting is confusing me now. maybe the cantus has worked on the author too and he's forgotten about manabu >u<
btw, isn't that girl's hairtyle(snapshot) kinda funny? she had two horns xD

i hope the story explains this someday or else it's going to bother me forever with all the maybe's and perhaps's (・︵・)
Dec 10, 2012 5:12 AM

Apr 2012
Third brilliant episode in a row. Saki seems so confident and impressive, questioning the foundations of the world they live in, opposed to such a self-evidently sinister phenomenon such as the replacement of one of your friends with a fake. But it's not some facile celebrated resistance, to the people of this world it's disturbing for someone to even be doing this, and they may even be right, the search for truth could undermine the foundations of a society which keeps at least most people safe. And it makes them run into a situation where they're made to appear as naughty children. But it does all this without losing even the smallest amount of audience sympathy for her quest, it is clearly the right thing to do in her position. No trying to fob people off with easy answers here.

And how many other cliffhangers are there which are as understated but as effective as this one?
Dec 10, 2012 7:49 AM

Oct 2007
walk said:

i hope the story explains this someday or else it's going to bother me forever with all the maybe's and perhaps's (・︵・)
I think you are asking a little too much here.
You know this is not a family problem where a certain group trying to get rid off another group. This is a big society and everyone in this society is being target and not just Saki's group. We have no idea how many people being missing every single day. And there is no way they have so much time to tell you in detailed on every single missing people when they already told you the main point.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 10, 2012 12:30 PM

Jan 2012
Mamoru got a fag voice, and acts like one. The yuri kiss was nice at and that thrilling feeling was executed nicely.
Dec 10, 2012 1:49 PM

Nov 2011

I feel a bit sorry for Saki tbh but life moves on. Dem friends got to stick together. Overall, it was a relaxing episode but more things are being discovered.
Dec 10, 2012 4:14 PM

Jan 2008
After the last 3 episodes I get the feeling that this series is back on its tracks. :)
Dec 10, 2012 5:22 PM

Jan 2012
This anime always succeeds in giving me goose bumps! >.<

Dec 10, 2012 8:13 PM

Dec 2008
Just remember, there's no need to be nervous... O - O

Also, I'm not particularly hating on the whole yaoi/yuri themes, here, but that kiss was absolutely unnecessary and out of place. Makes absolutely no sense. It's like they were just trying to find more places to fit it in.
Dec 10, 2012 8:18 PM

Nov 2011
Frediloc said:

Also, I'm not particularly hating on the whole yaoi/yuri themes, here, but that kiss was absolutely unnecessary and out of place. Makes absolutely no sense. It's like they were just trying to find more places to fit it in.

Two girlfriends comforting each other from fear. No place for a kiss? Yeah no
The Art of Eight
Dec 10, 2012 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
Frediloc said:

They were comforting each other and have a pretty physical past :3. Makes sense to me. On a funny note, I thought Satoru was also going to get in there and a threesome would ensue XD.
Dec 11, 2012 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
Frediloc said:

It serves the very good purpose of keeping up a stream of reminders that their society is very different to ours.
Dec 11, 2012 3:00 AM

Jul 2010
Great ep and big cliffhanger. Can't wait for next week's!
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Dec 12, 2012 2:00 AM
Apr 2011
What did Saki mean by there was confusion in Satou's eyes; that 'he had seen seen something completely irreconcilable with common sense'? I might know the answer, but I just want to double-check. ^^;
Dec 12, 2012 4:57 AM

Oct 2007
endlessabyss said:
What did Saki mean by there was confusion in Satou's eyes; that 'he had seen seen something completely irreconcilable with common sense'? I might know the answer, but I just want to double-check. ^^;
I am pretty sure it was how his memory didn't seem to make sense to him.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 12, 2012 11:04 AM

Feb 2012
I'm gonna need to rewatch this show once it's finished airing. I keep forgetting what has happened week-by-week. Crazy how much happens in each ep.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Dec 12, 2012 3:17 PM
Nov 2012
You know, Shun had such a
Dec 12, 2012 5:10 PM

Sep 2008
Episode barely started then suddenly ED popped >.< Can't wait for next week <o>
Dec 13, 2012 7:16 AM

Nov 2011
I'm confused with unknown name boy first.
This anime has some too difficult expression to understand until now.
But this time is just good to enjoy the story.
Dec 13, 2012 3:06 PM

Jul 2010
Wait, wait. Has Shun been replaced by this Ryou guy or something? Even in their memories? That's fucked up.

Mamoru is such a whiner. Just let them try to figure out what the hell is going on.

Dec 14, 2012 1:18 AM

Mar 2012
This was a terrific, highly atmospheric episode, satisfyingly exploring the surprising consequences of the significant developments that occurred in the previous episode. Following the conclusion of the first arc, the narrative has become far more compelling, indicative of a considerably stronger and more consistent execution. The methodical pacing has been greatly refreshing, allowing for an appropriate focus on a plethora of disparate nuances that are necessary in order to properly construct an effectively mysterious story.

The opening was a compelling, highly effective introduction to the unpredictably cruel transition between the emotionally poignant conclusion to the last episode and the unforeseen, but significant manipulation in this one, illustrating an exceptionally well-implemented, intentionally dissonant development, as Saki, due to her immense love for Shun, struggles considerably with the implanted idea that Ryou, some tangential, previously unknown character, has somehow adopted Shun’s characterization, emotional significance to Saki, and the numerous affectations that once partially defined Shun, who, though entirely absent from most of the others, has disturbingly become a distant echo in Saki’s thoughts, as her memory of him is similar to an indistinct, nearly forgotten shadow. This sequence brilliantly illuminates a foreshadowed dread. It’s a superbly unsettling realization that immediately established the deeply foreboding atmosphere that thoroughly pervaded through the remainder of the episode.

My favorite sequence, by far, was Saki's imaginative reverie, in which, upon hearing Ryou elaborate on the starlit boat ride they once supposedly shared together, a fleeting glimpse of Satoru's perplexed, seemingly terrified reaction towards Ryou's initial appearance was interspersed into her fantastical recollections, as though he was, for the smallest moment, already capable of seeing through the veneer of meticulously constructed, but recognizable manipulation. The echoed isolation of Shun's imagined words was quite effective. This is then followed by an excellent transition into Saki's introspective memories, as she places flowers next to Shun's grave beneath the moonlight, followed by Shun's illusory voice, as he questions her reasoning for potentially forgetting about him. It also seemingly focused on or, at the very least, provided a visual representation of all the numerous individuals that didn’t survive their youth, such as Reiko or Saki’s sister, denoted by a prevalence of unmarked gravestones. The typically superb choral selection accompanied this moment wonderfully.

Another excellent sequence was the culminating moment in which Saki and the others began to construct the nihilistic entirety of the mental manipulation exacted upon them, as Saki faintly remembers Reiko, and that she, at one time, was an integral member of the group. The direction throughout this sequence was fantastic, skillfully illuminating a very effective tension. As such, Saki’s initial vestige of remembrance was visually portrayed by a momentarily distorted glimpse of Reiko’s faded silhouette, followed by an atmospheric shot of an abundance of cracked gravestones. This combination of impressionistic imagery comprehensively illustrated the barely perceptible, seemingly tenuous connection that had shockingly filtered into their fractured memories, resurfacing from concealed depths. I also loved the shot of the light gradually diminishing behind the darkened clouds, since this deftly parallels the foreshadowed consequences that inevitably await due to their awakened knowledge. The mournful musical selection that accompanied this sequence complemented the ominous atmosphere considerably well, excellently evoking the lingering sensation of imminent danger.

Though potentially misdirection or altogether non-existent, there were several elements of foreshadowing for Maria and Mamoru woven into this episode, such as Mamoru’s chaotic and pleading insistence for the others to refrain from indulging their inquisitive natures and the subsequent ease Maria displayed in severing their momentous realizations by hugging him, as well as Maria’s whispered notions of a passive, restrained existence. This noticeable, yet understandable, aversion from curiosity strongly resembles the reactions previously displayed on numerous occasions by Saki’s parents, but, above all, rather than a mere lack of desire for the truth, this complex connection between Maria and Mamoru appears likely to influence further developments as the story progresses, perhaps foretelling, once again, of the distinct possibility that Maria and Mamoru will, over time, begin to slowly diverge from Saki and Satoru’s path, and, in turn, separate themselves completely. Of course, though one direction is expected and most likely to occur, the narrative developments for both dichotomous dynamics remains an uncertain eventuality, since it’s unclear whether any of them will resolve in adhering to the accepted nature of their immensely flawed and corrupted society.

The conclusion of this episode was highly compelling, since the Ethics Committee has been, throughout the entire story, remarkably knowledgeable of their previously disobedient actions, so I’m really looking forward to what awaits her. This episode also depicted what appears to be the dawning of the societal transition between sexual relations, as it seems that, perhaps, same-sex intimacy was actively encouraged, if not altogether enforced, throughout the few years between adolescence and proper maturity. Though not fully altered yet, it appears that these binary selections are purposefully intended to propel the youth of their civilization, such as Saki and Satoru, to move past this particularly temporary section of their lives, most evident in the regulated groups of two that mutually declared one another as a “duty pair”.

The characterization throughout was really well-defined. As such, their thoroughly contrasting reactions to the realized fragment of a significantly tampered memory were very intriguing, particularly Mamoru’s, as, unlike Mamoru, the others were quite eager to uncover the true nature of their partially manufactured lives, regardless of the potentially severe consequences, illustrating a perpetual rebellion of sorts that the others, save for Mamoru, to an extent, inherently possess. Although his appearance was suitably brief and comparatively unimportant, Ryou is an incredibly sympathetic character, and it will be interesting to see if his temporarily weightless existence will be explored further.

Tomoya Takahashi’s direction was understated, but quite effective in it’s simplicity, properly accentuating a plethora of subtle emotions throughout the episode, particularly notable during the scene in which Mamoru nearly suffers an emotional breakdown due to the painful realizations of their corroded memories. One of my favorite shots was the expressive framing of Maria, Saki, and Satoru’s silhouettes against the sunset. Mamoru Kurosawa’s storyboarding, in a thoroughly surprising contrast to the sixth episode, was excellent. Musically, this was another strong, thoroughly consistent episode, lacking any particular selection that was utilized in an unappealing fashion.

All in all, From the New World has consistently excelled with it’s thoroughly well-written story, beautifully atmospheric storytelling, and it‘s narrative execution, rarely faltering, despite the slow nature of developments, into an unfortunate monotony. There’s a heightened cohesion within the narrative that has thoroughly elevated the effectiveness of the storytelling. As such, the first arc possessed a distinctly fragmentary narrative, suffused with an unfortunate tendency to slip into an occasionally simplistic mediocrity towards the end, and, though quite satisfying in it's own right, this has been a substantial improvement, since, so far, the impressively high quality hasn’t even marginally deteriorated. Judging by the preview, it appears likely that Satoru’s grandmother will reveal, at the very least, a fraction of her considerable knowledge, perhaps elaborating further on the uniquely hidden cruelties found within their world. The most intriguing shot is the brief sight of a bloodied Shun wandering through the halls of a house. Though this particular development remains unclear, it seems that Saki could potentially be chosen by Satoru’s grandmother as her eventual successor, which would be a really interesting development.
Dec 14, 2012 8:36 AM
Jan 2010
gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

red seems like an evil agent of the empire
Dec 15, 2012 1:42 PM
Jul 2012
I had a strong urge to punch Mamoru when he started screaming.
Dec 15, 2012 4:45 PM

Dec 2012
Lol Shakugan no shana much? Its like shun existence disappeared, poor ryouka has no Idea wth is going on.
Dec 16, 2012 3:26 PM

Feb 2012
"No need to be nervous", as if and please kill Mamoru.
Jan 2, 2013 8:19 PM

Aug 2012
This episode was epic!
Jan 31, 2013 12:10 PM

Jan 2011
I haven't watched this in a while but holy cow this surprised me. This is some 10/10 material, the presentation was excellent and it only took 2 minutes to be re-drawn into this mysterious atmosphere again. I'm really looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 12, 2013 6:49 PM

Feb 2010
Love the yuri scenes in this ep. That 1st quick kiss in the beginning was so cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2013 11:37 AM

Sep 2009
that's very unfair .. they replaced Shun! ><
I'm glad that Saki still remember Shun, but only a tiny bit of info about him.. she can't even remember shun's name..
Mar 21, 2013 11:00 AM

Jul 2012
The beginning did really confuse me at first, but then it got explained^^

Everything was planned, I think.. And planned by the head of the Ethics Committee (what I got from the preview of the next episode).

They forgot quite a bit about Shun! >.<
Mar 27, 2013 1:22 PM
Jan 2012
Amazing episode, 5/5. Not only Shun died, but his existence was basically "deleted" from everyone's minds, exactly like what happened to Reiko and the cheater from the 2nd episode... That is not fair. Ah, Mamoru was so annoying, I understand that, the feeling of knowing that everything you thrust is a lie can be scary, but really, stop whining, boy. Saki is slowly gaining points in my book and so is Satoru. Lastly, that SakixMaria kiss was absurdly cute.

Mar 29, 2013 10:11 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was actually pretty interesting, and it's my favorite so far.
Apr 3, 2013 10:00 AM

Jan 2008
Very good episode, will be interesting to see now how the people in charge (aka. the Ethics comittee) are, how much they are manipulating the situations the characters find themselves in and the actons they take.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Apr 3, 2013 1:06 PM

May 2012
Interesting, they're getting onto something! The story might actually develop quite nicely now! Lets see what they're needed for!
Apr 16, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2011
Woah, memory wipe! I wonder whats going to happen next!
Apr 17, 2013 12:55 PM

Sep 2012
This episode was kind of confusing, but I loved the atmosphere.

Why all the Mamoru hate? They all know damn well that digging into things that they shouldn't be will result in them disappearing. Anybody would be apprehensive in that situation, and he had high anxiety from the beginning.
Apr 23, 2013 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
Another great episode.

Memory alteration... I wondered why didn't mention the girl from back then till now. And they even replaced Shun...
I'm glad Saki (and Satoru) were able to realize it. Saki was also clever to figure out the evidence of her disappeared sister.

Mamoru... I really don't understand why he is a main character. It's not that I hate him, but he is kind of useless in all this. I hope he will do something later on and won't just serve as a "we shouldn't do that"-guy whose only purpose is to hold the others back from going against rules :/
May 3, 2013 7:39 PM

Apr 2010
I almost dropped this anime... the first two episodes were really cool, but all that queerats stuff was really annoying, and the animation a bit poor. But since the timeskip this is only getting better and better!!
May 16, 2013 11:58 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting episode.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 25, 2013 2:12 AM
Mar 2009
Great episode. So from the next episode everything should start to make sense after the meeting with old hug.
I'm very curious who tinkers with their memory. All over and over again, erasing and replacing it with new parts? If the perpetrators are people from the Ethical Committee, not it be easier to them to simply kill the whole group. As we learned from previous episodes, such children which were threat to the Society were removed.

Conspiracy must lead to revolution.
Jun 3, 2013 2:13 PM

Jul 2009
So they erased all memories about Shun, also, even when they have a relationship/like/love someone of the same sex, in the end they must end with a person of the other sex
Jun 6, 2013 10:10 AM

May 2012
GMILF
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jun 19, 2013 2:14 PM
Mar 2013
Pfffft, 3rd wheel Mamoru pathetic as always.
Jun 26, 2013 1:07 AM

Apr 2009
I regret putting this on-hold at episode 10 last year, real life schedules and what not. I meant to finish this awesome series soon.

It seems the mental blocks about Shun are not enough to hold back questioning minds. The truth might set you free unfortunately it's also quite harsh and unforgivingly cruel.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 1, 2013 2:25 AM

Apr 2013
Being forgotten is worse then being dead :(
At least Saki has some memories about Shun. I mean seriously how can you forget about your best friend.
Can't wait to see Satoru's grandma :P
Aug 15, 2013 7:51 AM

Jul 2012
brainwash bitch!
Sep 20, 2013 5:27 PM

Nov 2012
okay episode..
never expect if satoru's grandma is the leader :O
Oct 23, 2013 2:04 PM

Oct 2011
So sad that their memories of Shun have been manipulated like that :( Satoru's grandmother sounds like an interesting character.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.