Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 29, 2021 3:57 AM

Feb 2021
Tendo_GM said:
I use both.

MAL is better because it has better profiles and forums (forum signatures and your profile has free space for customizing)
MAL scores are also better because AniLists top 20 or so anime are a joke and a popularity contest
they aren't that different, the main difference is where they are placed there but the anime are more or less the same except for a bl and heavens official blessing(in that case we are in agreement but calling it a popularity contest alone for that its stratching it)
Oct 29, 2021 5:37 AM

Sep 2015
I feel like anilist has a smaller database than mal, i have a lot of stuff on my list that has like 300 user watches that aren't on anilist but mal hasn't got everything either.
Oct 29, 2021 6:26 AM

Sep 2021
>Anilist doesn't have enough Hentai.
>Forums in Anilist are lifeless.
>I prefer MAL's interface over Ani's.
>Imo Darkmode and Decimal rating system are the only pros of Anilist, but I don't really care about ratings and I use force dark mode in Chrome so it doesn't matter.
AlrivenOct 29, 2021 6:29 AM
Oct 29, 2021 6:51 AM

Aug 2021
I use mal more than anilist
I like the forums here much better and active. the forums of anilist are more dead also I don't like the upvote/downvote forums like reddit/twitter
The list system with multiple scoring ways on anilist is better tho.
Oct 29, 2021 7:02 AM

Apr 2018
anilist might be better but this website has everything i need and i don't want to switch
Oct 29, 2021 9:17 AM

Aug 2016
NotTaiga7 said:
Nah fam. I’ve got both lists and I like this one better.

The community here is more fun and I also LOVE the early 2010s look of this website.

Plus with more members on MAL the database is more accurate towards the actual stats
too bad both databases suck absolute ass. MAL is missing so much shit that they refuse to add its sickening.
Oct 29, 2021 9:55 AM

Oct 2008
Prolly because I am older, but I really don't like the modern aesthetic. The older style is much easier to use, and preferable to me.
Oct 29, 2021 10:19 AM

Mar 2020
Ethitlan said:
Tendo_GM said:

I never said that those 2 were bad or judged their quality, I just said that AniList’s rankings overall are pretty shit

They're so similar to MAL though. The individual placements are a bit switched up but the top 10 is virtually the same. Let alone the top 50 and 100

Yea I know, they are both pretty shit, but MAL is a little less shittier so it’s better
Oct 29, 2021 10:29 AM

Mar 2020
e5812 said:
Tendo_GM said:
I use both.

MAL is better because it has better profiles and forums (forum signatures and your profile has free space for customizing)
MAL scores are also better because AniLists top 20 or so anime are a joke and a popularity contest
they aren't that different, the main difference is where they are placed there but the anime are more or less the same except for a bl and heavens official blessing(in that case we are in agreement but calling it a popularity contest alone for that its stratching it)

Yes, they are not THAT different and they’re both pretty shit, but AniList is worse when it comes to it
Oct 29, 2021 11:41 AM

Nov 2017
SleepySimoon said:
If you haven’t actually tried Anilist, how can you say it’s worse than MAL?

Better database, better list stats, better UI, better score manipulation(7.5/10), better titles(romanji or English, your choice), better favorites(you can have more than 10 and NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT), better forums(cause they don’t have the 30 character limit)

Please explain yourself MAL

I agree. Anilist is way better. The only good thing about MAL is the "forums" and not cause it has better users but cause is more active.
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Oct 29, 2021 11:44 AM

Nov 2017
Nillwas said:
Dosen't have Hentai.
Dosen't Have Chines or Korea works.
The staff is so stupid that and cringe worthy that they have been trying to take mal members from mal into anilist when the site was down.
The database is 10x worse then mal as it dosen't have everything.

Stop smoking things you find in the trashcan, already.

Bruh what?

Anilist has WAY more korean/chinese "works" (manhua/manhwa). MAL barely has any.

+

Anilist does have hentai, what are u talking about
Oct 29, 2021 11:54 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Anilist is the hive of twitter user half grown mustache with monocle type of anime fans.
My toaster has a better list of anime

Oct 29, 2021 11:54 AM

Dec 2015
MacchiaStella said:
Nillwas said:
Dosen't have Hentai.
Dosen't Have Chines or Korea works.
The staff is so stupid that and cringe worthy that they have been trying to take mal members from mal into anilist when the site was down.
The database is 10x worse then mal as it dosen't have everything.

Stop smoking things you find in the trashcan, already.

Bruh what?

Anilist has WAY more korean/chinese "works" (manhua/manhwa). MAL barely has any.

+

Anilist does have hentai, what are u talking about

This is sad, just beyond sad.

If you know are trying to act like some big brain idiot, at least have the working decency to check my profile.
As I didn't talked about Manhua or Manhwa, I never did and never will as it's not something I care about.

if you know had checked my list out, just checking my top 5 favorite characters, you would see that I have donghua in my top 5, my whole plan to list is just donghua, the only thing I have watched the last 2 years is donghuas.

And to need to Google to find if anilist have Hentai or not is beyond sad, as you need to set you'r profile to 18 +.
So yeah, here I was wrong, sorry. ( I just didn't think anilist could be even more sader then it already is )

Then again, if you know are into manhua and manhwa you could add them uself into MaL, it's that easy. It would just take 1-2 minutes of you'r time.

Oct 29, 2021 11:55 AM

May 2013
Honestly yeah. The only things MAL has over AniList imo are list customization and the community.
Oct 29, 2021 12:16 PM

Nov 2017
Nillwas said:

This is sad, just beyond sad.

If you know are trying to act like some big brain idiot, at least have the working decency to check my profile.

Now why would I just go check ur profile? I was replying to the comment. Korean/chinese work could also mean manhua/manhwa.

Second, anilist does have donghua. Every single one. Which donghua ain't there?

Third, not everyone is an addicted horny, lonely person. + Kids use anilist, there is no need for them to find hentai. Imagine thinking that something is bad because if you aren't 18+ u can't add hentai, now that's sad. Touch some grass.

Fourth, MAL doesn't accept manhwa/manhua entry requests most of the time, which is why there aren't many. While anilist accepts every manhwa/manhua.

Fifth, you can also add a donghua that "it's missing" in anilist. If there is even any.
Oct 29, 2021 1:20 PM

Aug 2016
I typically use MAL as my main site, I prefer posting here even if I don't post much since I tend to ignore most threads instead of complaining about them. But because of how much easier and more convenient it is to add and move things around on Anilist I tend to actually spend more time there than I do here, I just don't interact with others much on Anilist.
Oct 29, 2021 2:26 PM

Apr 2018
+ There are moore manhwa/manhua there, also they reply to your submission in a few hours. Anilist is better as a database and all, but MAL has better forum.
Oct 29, 2021 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
I tried it and it was missing quite a lot from what I remember. It also felt barren.
Oct 29, 2021 3:34 PM

Aug 2016
Anilist has generally superior functionality when it comes to managing lists as well as having a more complete library that isn't subject to really pedantic restrictions that exclude stuff like Violence Voyager or Thunderbolt Fantasy. Being able to track stats without using a third party website like anime.plus is super nice as well. Updating MAL has become such a headache that I've started using Taiga for updating my list here most of the time. And using Anilist with the Automail plugin, it beats out MAL no contest.

As far as the "community" goes, I'd argue it's better than MAL simply by virtue of being less active. As a result, there is far less stupidity present (or at least, it isn't as visible). I also like that anime reviews are not front and center like on MAL, and as such it doesn't seem to have developed a god awful reviewing culture like MAL has. Also, while their Discord server isn't the best, it is leagues above the "PG-13" garbage ran by some of the worst moderators I've ever seen. Seriously, fuck MALcord.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Oct 29, 2021 3:53 PM

Jul 2019
season 4 is more popular than season 3 p2
Oct 30, 2021 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
MAL layout should be updated since it feels like those websites 2010. But I prefer on mal because I'm not really good at anilist yet. And I like making toxic people mad.
Oct 30, 2021 3:43 AM
Nov 2016
MAL is way better. The only thing anilist has on MAL is the UI but that doesn't mean anything if the layout isn't good. I actually prefer the compact simplistic design of MAL anyway
Oct 30, 2021 6:34 AM

Jun 2010
I have been using MAL for tracking of my anime and manga listings for many years. I like the simplicity of the interface here though the layout is outdated. So is the forum design. I have tried Anilist but can't really get a hang of it. Since my purpose here is for the recording, I don't need to use duplicate website for it.

I suppose it's all up to personal preference as long as you like it. Whichever one you choose, it will serve its purpose as it did for me.
Oct 30, 2021 6:41 AM
Aug 2011
MetaThPr4h said:
Being able to rate with decimals and the free extended favorite lists is huge there and solved tons of doubts I had with ratings and choices for favs, not to mention, most importantly, that the database changes actually freaking get sent through, most of the time in a matter of hours. I waited MONTHS here for pics I sent to get added, and I'm still waiting for poor

Well that's kind of a giveaway about how AniList and similar work.

MAL is primarily sourced from *Japanese sources* for the news and info. So people have to translate the websites, get the cast info, then that is used to create and update entries in the database. Other "list" sites don't seem to be doing much primary research - they use synopses either ripped off MAL or ANN. So in many ways MAL is a primary source for this information in English.

Kitsu in particular, have several blatant signs that they're merely a siterip of MAL but they site-ripped Webtoons stuff as well and added that too, to make it "better" than MAL. So there are sites like MAL that translate Japanese stuff and other sites that translate Korean stuff, and other sites come along and site-rip everything to make a "better" site, since it now has both.

As for AniList, I looked up an obscure series on both sites, and AniList uses *all* the same character images as MAL for that, including blank images for ones MAL didn't have. It's clear how they're able to be so "efficient". They just copy all their homework.

AniList is a fraction of the size of MAL, they have vastly less staff. They're clearly not doing the sort of research that MAL is. the only reason they prioritize fast responses to user requests is (1) because they just don't have THAT many users compared to MAL and (2) they focus on crowd pleasing moves in order to get more users. Since they most likely get all their data from MAL and ANN it's easy for them to prioritize their existing staff in different "more responsive" ways.
cipheronOct 30, 2021 7:10 AM
Oct 30, 2021 6:59 AM

Jan 2009
NotTaiga7 said:
Nah fam. I’ve got both lists and I like this one better.

The community here is more fun and I also LOVE the early 2010s look of this website.

Plus with more members on MAL the database is more accurate towards the actual stats

Agree with this. The forums on AniList are not only annoying to use but their userbase are a lot less interactive and fun than this site
Oct 30, 2021 8:00 AM

Jul 2020
database wise and listing goes for anidb

community wise for MAL

user interface and friendly environment goes to anilist

mal is still far superior than any other listing site exist out there, by all that means, mal is majority better
Oct 30, 2021 8:07 AM

May 2018
all they have to do is increase the font size
Oct 30, 2021 8:17 AM

May 2018
And apparently Anilist users who come to brag on MAL are better at being cringe.
Oct 30, 2021 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
-Kimochi said:
What about anime planet? Anyone use that?
Me, but for a very short period of time (two weeks at best) I quit being there. Seriously, MAL is just way too comfortable to be anywhere else and it's too troublesome to be scattered all over the internet forums and medias with so many accounts around - it's so hard to keep up.
Oct 30, 2021 12:43 PM

Dec 2020
not a fan of the way anilist looks. and the forums arent nearly as active as here. plus i find it a bit hard to use
Oct 30, 2021 1:18 PM
Dec 2020
imo Anilist has better list options and larger database
MAL has better UI, more data, and a better community
Gonna use both for their respective benefits
Oct 30, 2021 3:42 PM

Apr 2012
I used to visit this site for interest, but custom tags and an abundance of normies scared me away. I still remember how they tagged Owari no Seraph with BL, tagging "heterosexual" under the spoiler, lol.
Oct 30, 2021 3:56 PM

Nov 2007
it's a bit easier to meet and start convos with people on anilist which is nice, but on the other hand you have to deal with people doing stupid shit like hate following you and "subtweeting" and things like that. i'm not a big fan of the social media style environment on the whole, and have always liked forums. the forums here are better and as i always say i prefer the organization of this site. it encourages you to look at the database and news, rather than stupid shit people post as their statuses. that's how the site should work imo since that's the point of it.
Oct 31, 2021 9:59 AM

May 2021
What's the point in making these 'Anilist vs mal' threads every now and then anyway? I mean its ur preferences in the end that matters lol. Just fooking use whatever site best suits u for god's sake.
--Fiend_09--Oct 31, 2021 10:13 AM
Oct 31, 2021 10:09 AM

Aug 2017
aotisgoat23 said:
What's the point in making these 'Anilist vs mal' every now and then anyway? I mean its ur preferences in the end that matters lol. Just fooking use whatever site best suits u for god's sake.

Probably Anilist alts or people who are angry after being temporarily banned here. Other guy was saying the same thing in other thread and i read he was banned in his profile.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 31, 2021 10:58 AM

Dec 2007
dunno what you talking about, the bigger difference for me between anilist and MAL (and yeah i have anilist, check my username or username442) is the fact that MAL is actually an anime list, anilist seems really good on look and UI but MAL simpleness is what makes the purpose of the site being clearer. than just UI.

and dunno about the favourites thing, why 10 isn't enough? if there weren't ten there would probably no meaning for it, i would just put everything in 9-10 score...
Nov 17, 2021 5:27 AM

Dec 2019
But anidb is anti-donkeys, anti-10-star-givers and anti-1-star-givers. So, anidb is better.

Also, anidb has abilities section to feel envy over a fictional character and to know if a character is a Gary Stu and it's the best way to avoid watching hentai with the most disgusting things.

Tatsuya Shiba from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is practically a God, according to anidb.
Nov 17, 2021 5:53 AM

Jan 2019
I've tried both and I like MAL better. I can understand people who think the Anilist UI is better but I really like the MAL design.
Nov 17, 2021 6:03 AM
May 2019
Kinda agree it's more convenient to use Anilist, better lists, can add more favorites the community isn't as worse as MAL
Sayali567Nov 17, 2021 6:18 AM
Nov 17, 2021 6:13 AM
May 2019
vegeta8639 said:
You know you're probably right about most of that but the biggest hesitation I have is that Emilia has more favorites than Rem on there which makes me think the community there must be garbage.
Although on the other hand male characters like Lelouch don't have 50 million favorites so it's possible the community there is more committed to watching anime rather than having 500K dead accounts that some kids made 10 years ago and never logged in again after adding all their favorite shounen protagonists.

Maybe I'll give it a shot and see how I like the site. There's no rule that says I can't have accounts on both.
Nah in fact it's better because people there clearly knows who is best
Nov 17, 2021 6:33 AM

Dec 2020
though anilist is aesthetically pleasing to look at, it is complicated to use (coming from someone who's lazy to figure it out). In comparison, MAL has a better layout overall. Other than that, when I post a forum here, and I post the exact same forum there, it gets removed, which is pretty whack. The mods give off a "the only thing I do in my day is remove posts on this trashy website" vibe.
no more forum pic. that's it.
Nov 17, 2021 6:43 AM

Jun 2020
Anilist is barren. Call me when it stops being so.
Nov 17, 2021 6:53 AM

Feb 2021
Mal is better. It is easier to use for me.The site is more attractive(list design and database)

The scores are a problem for me but they cannot be accurate on any site.
Nov 17, 2021 7:12 AM

Apr 2021
MYANIMELIST is just way better,

and I think 30 character limit is good to have by doing this we can avoid trolls who just write lmao, lol etc
𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓼𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓷,

TBA
TBA
-

If you liked my signature please Comment on my profile
Nov 17, 2021 8:10 AM

Aug 2018
Meh... The comparison is not that simple.

In fact, AniList is better in some factors. For example, notifications and the weekly timer until upcoming episodes make it easy to update on which ones have released and make the path to adding new episodes you've watched a shorter time. Also, updates from your friends are more accessible and allow comments, the list of favorites is extended (and allowing you to include studios in favorites, too) and the possibility of giving notes with decimals are other good factors that add to the platform's use. Even the icon images of some characters are much prettier in AniList than in MAL, and the Reviews system allows people to post images and summaries of what they've written. I personally think it's a site that works best in terms of interaction with other people and profile.

However, there are things that AniList gets wrong, and a lot, in my opinion. First, the recommendation system is horrible, because people who haven't watched the anime or the recommended animes can simply like or dislike it and negatively interfere with the accuracy of the recommendations. Also, they can barely write about the similarities between the two animes. While some people don't have much to write or, in some cases, want to avoid spoilers, this sort of thing helps, because knowing exactly what and how it's similar allows us to see whether or not the recommendation is valid from our perspective. The anime ranking on that site is also completely messed up. Almost every anime I select when I'm circulating is "TOP 1-5 something in the year", and I can't even take those rankings seriously.

The possibility of giving broken grades is also a factor that hinders in some cases, since a significant amount of people will simply give 1/100 to the anime they don't like, facilitating trolls and the bots scheme to lower grades. This being that I barely mentioned the Likes and Dislikes of Reviews system, which is terrible, not because the system itself is bad, but because many people will dislike any review just seeing the rating that the person gave to the work without not even read what was written in the review. It's a very fertile environment for trolls, especially when you consider that when you write a review of an anime or manga that has just been released several years ago and has an established fanbase, most people probably won't read the review if not very short.

Therefore, although even better in terms of interaction, AniList is much inferior, in my point of view, in the anime and information department itself, because reviews, grades and rankings, for example, suffer a lot with that site scheme. Of course, there's also the plus of stats, but that can be done on MyAnimeList too, with MAL Plus. Anyway, it's complicated to compare the two sites, and I end up using both, one as a complement to the other, although I prefer MAL.
MaranderNov 17, 2021 10:04 AM
Nov 17, 2021 8:28 AM

Aug 2021
I can say that I like MAL better for the simple fact that you can hide the scores of your list nothing else. lol.
Although yes, their UI is very old and someday they will update it.... I hope.
Nov 18, 2021 1:13 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I don't think so, but Anime-Planet is.
Nov 18, 2021 1:15 AM

Jun 2021
not at all it could be better than my anime list
Nov 18, 2021 1:34 AM

Oct 2021
it's better for most things but the forums are annoying to use.

Personally I think the forums have just become a place where people talk to themselves and there's often little meaningful discussion.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Seinen Big 3

JoeChip - 29 minutes ago

8 by RyogiSHIKI7 »»
6 seconds ago

» Modern chill anime osts like these?

Atmogenic - Yesterday

16 by SubstanceAnime »»
17 seconds ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

122 by MasterTasuke »»
9 minutes ago

» Smoking in anime

JoeChip - 23 minutes ago

6 by Entity72 »»
9 minutes ago

» Which character deserves a boycott?

SgtBateMan - 2 hours ago

5 by weebtoge »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.