Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 21, 2021 4:02 PM
May 2021
Mindless, overplayed gags and time-wasting scenes can sour me on an anime, but the one thing that always seems to ruin an anime for me is when the characters and narrative are disgustingly cynical and there’s no prospect of the show ever acquiring any spark of hope or hint of kindness.
Aug 21, 2021 4:11 PM

May 2015
Dubs that's it. Plenty of things that don't intrest me, but the only thing that can actually ruin an anime is a dub
Aug 21, 2021 4:47 PM
Sep 2020
DanieLDesuu said:
One of the reasons is the art style. I wouldnt want to watch an anime that has a fking terrible art style ever, i'd drop it immediately like the art style in this one:

Kamichama Karin is literally my childhood how dare u
Aug 21, 2021 6:18 PM
Jul 2018
Poor character development. That's all i think
Aug 21, 2021 7:03 PM
Aug 2021
Influx of high school themes in the last 10 years.
Aug 21, 2021 7:06 PM

Jun 2021
When I ask someone for it's synopsis but they tell you they whole story.Thats ruin my anime experience :(
Haven't found a good anime dialogue to copy yet!!
Aug 21, 2021 9:09 PM

Feb 2021
Doesn't necessarily ruin it for me, but I prefer to have no lolis in the shows I'm watching.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 21, 2021 9:58 PM

Sep 2017
predictable story lines, ones that i guess aren't that original and it gets boring to watch, but i get that it may be hard to come up with a whole new original story

Aug 21, 2021 11:02 PM
Apr 2021
Animation and excessive fan service.
Aug 21, 2021 11:33 PM

Sep 2016
Forced comedy that clashes with the tone of the anime, JJK is a prime example of this.
Aug 22, 2021 1:57 AM

Jun 2021
having to force some sort of romance between some characters in every kind of plot (obviously this applies also to media different from anime)
Aug 22, 2021 3:25 AM

Apr 2015
Male character getting beaten up for laughs, and when an ecchi anime doesn't have much screen-time for the big breasted ladies, Tsugumomo missed opportunities with the hot Tengu girl.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Aug 22, 2021 7:21 AM

Jul 2019
Usually, anything with a change in a plot derails from the original quality. Or anything that lies and gives nothing of what the original premise wished for.
Aug 22, 2021 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
if a character i really love dies, it sort of ruins it for me. i think sometimes characters need/ought to die sometimes in stories, but it'll still kill the show for me unfortunately (not always though).
Aug 22, 2021 8:05 AM

Dec 2020
Not sure I've come across anything that ruins ruins an anime for me, but something that makes me enjoy an anime significantly less is when a conflict that could easily be resolved with proper communication, doesn't (it's a wonder I tend to like dramas)

Edit: I guess dubs ruin an anime. Hearing dubbed voices just kills it for me
Aug 22, 2021 8:29 AM

Aug 2018
Stupid and unnecessary drama between the main characters. It just ruins my overall level of enjoyment of a show.
Aug 22, 2021 8:32 AM

Mar 2021
Nothing ruins an anime like a major spoiler.
Aug 22, 2021 9:01 AM

Nov 2018
While they definitely affect my enjoyment to some extent, I can totally tolerate excessive fanservice (until it's borderline hentai) and annoying fanbase, but what really "ruins" an anime for me are:-

1. Pathetic MC [like Shinji Ikari (I know I just hit a beehive with a stick with that) and Kazuya Kinoshita (This is in context of the anime, ie S1, only, and I know he has a significant character development since then)]

2. Sacrificing the important arcs of a story just to promote a shitty filler film (*cough* My Hero Academia *cough* , but seriously, I'm extremely disappointed by the poor direction taken by MHA season 5)

3. If I haven't read the source material, I overlook on this one, but if I have, I can't help but get bothered by it, and that is skipping content and/or changing the order of the events. As an example, for Horimiya I really didn't care that much, but for MHA I'm seriously disappointed.

4. Underwhelming ending (This is pretty self-explanatory, eg, The Promised Neverland. I still can't believe I waited two freaking years just to get one major arc skipped and that shitty slideshow of a finale.)
FierBubAug 22, 2021 11:57 AM
यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत।
अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम् ॥४-७॥

परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे ॥४-८॥
Aug 22, 2021 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
I love character development and the connections between characters so...
Tsundere: I just hate it, IDK why
Kuudere: bro show some emotions, I have Aspergers and I do better.
Aug 22, 2021 11:56 AM

Nov 2019
Too much politics and Naruto kind, I will save the whole world characters.
Aug 22, 2021 12:12 PM

Nov 2020
Excessive fanservice annoys me to no end
thats what-she
Aug 22, 2021 12:51 PM

Feb 2020
plain characters probably
when they're so obviously just made to fit one singular trope and are indifferent toward anything that is not associated to their trope.

tysm iva-🐢💜

Aug 22, 2021 1:42 PM

Jan 2020
bad animation, boring protagonist, characters only there for fan service, cliché plot line, etc, etc
Aug 22, 2021 1:55 PM
Jun 2017
There's many, many things that can ruin an anime, almost all related to writing. To avoid writing a thesis, I'll just give some quick bullet points.

* Major lack of internal consistency (ie. many plot holes).
* Fundamentally contradicting its core premise/theme
* Illogical/inconsistent character writing without justifiable reason, or simply having shallow characterisation. Major character regression counts too.
* Unjustified plot armour beyond the suspension of disbelief.
* Focus on content that provides nothing for the plot, characters or world building (eg. almost any ecchi).
* Propitiating and supporting ideas fundamentally destructive to society (fortunately not as many of these as in modern western entertainment outside of the more degenerate types of ecchi series, but the medium isn't completely free of it).
* Being nothing more than a lesser version of a plot or ideas done elsewhere. In other words, a ripoff.
* Tired premises that add nothing new to the genre (eg. almost every anime in the past decade or so with a high school setting).
* Unfitting or mediocre art style that fails to carry the work in a visual medium.
Aug 22, 2021 2:01 PM

Nov 2013
So Im assuming this meaning Im in the middle of watching an anime cus it already got me on board with it's premise or whatever.

Definitely the characters. Unlikeable characters can be interesting, like antagonists/villains. Uninteresting, but non-detestable characters are whatever. But if they are both unlikeable AND uninteresting, its just eye-rolling to keep up with. Im fine if its just one or the other. Recent example would be Idaten. This Amahara guy just doesnt write characters.
DGemuAug 22, 2021 2:41 PM
Aug 22, 2021 2:18 PM
Star☆Twinkle

Oct 2018
Characters that are annoying to watch or gross visuals are the biggest factors.
Aug 22, 2021 2:18 PM

Oct 2018
excessive fanservice, bad art, characters with no development and depth, the art, misunderstandings that dont get resolved until the end of the series.

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Aug 22, 2021 2:51 PM

Dec 2020
Out of place ecchi fanservice... I'm ok if sexual details are in a sexual scene. Out of sexual scenes, they only cause distraction.
Forum avatar: Lu, from Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
Aug 22, 2021 3:14 PM
Sep 2019
I can't stand animes that rely solely on the animation quality, yet absolutely suck at the story-telling.

If the only thing going for an anime is flashy animation, then just call it a motion picture for the senses. Don't even bother with story since a crappy story paired with an amazing animation won't redeem the entire package as a whole.
Aug 22, 2021 4:28 PM

Mar 2021
Lack of character development or uninteresting characters and excessive fanservice (monogatari doesn't count since it has great characters).
Aug 22, 2021 4:41 PM
Aug 2021
No matter how good the characters, story, or art are if the animation is crap, then its crap😭
Jul 2018
Lolicon/shotacon. Seriously, can anime studios just stop sexualizing children? I get that it's just a drawing but it's still weird af.
Feb 2021
Too much fanservice or an overabundance of plot twists that don't make the slightest bit of sense. I can appreciate a beautiful waifu like any other guy, but when the camera is constantly going out of its way to show a character's butt even when the scene isn't meant to be comedic or particularly alluring, I genuinely feel the artists laughing at their audience. And plot twists actually need to have been built up properly. In that case, it's like the writers see us as stupid babies who are fascinated by any shiny thing that is dangled in front of us--even if it's covered in poop.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Aug 22, 2021 4:43 PM
Feb 2021
OmnisexualDemon said:
Lolicon/shotacon. Seriously, can anime studios just stop sexualizing children? I get that it's just a drawing but it's still weird af.
People who say, "Loli's aren't offensive" are seriously disgusting. Lolicons and Shotacons are specifically attracted to them BECAUSE they are children, and perpetuating that kind of "entertainment" only encourages them to act on their urges in the real world. The way we act or view any and all fictional characters reflects who we are in real life.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Aug 22, 2021 5:16 PM
Mar 2018
Fanservice on mature shows, power of friendship, plot holes and stupid decision making for the sake of the plot. Anime tends to have this last one.

Have seen a reasonable amount of shows were the MC makes the most stupid decision without having the slightless of rational thinking only for the audience to enjoy a handful 5ish more chapters when the show could have had an amazing/decent closure to the series.
Aug 22, 2021 7:01 PM

Jun 2014
Generally, characters getting married weirds me out. I'm not sure why.

Also, any show where male characters keep saying "sugee(スゲー)" about everything. This needs to stop.

Another thing that can completely ruin an anime, is if something goes unresolved, and has a stupid ending, like the end of the second season of "Medaka Box."

Aug 22, 2021 11:42 PM
Jan 2020
Bad characters over anything else.
Aug 23, 2021 5:39 AM
May 2017
Aside from the MC, it's usually the dialogue between characters. "Ruin" is a hard word, but my mind usually just wanders off of the show I'm watching when the script is written like the most awkward, overly dramatic things to say in real life are treated as normal, or sometimes even "genuine".
Aug 24, 2021 12:08 PM

Jun 2009
Fan service usually. Annoying stereotypical characters. Annoying high pitched voice acting.
Aug 27, 2021 3:26 AM

Oct 2020
Too high pitched voice acting not specific to any genre but if a female character speaks at 27000 hz pitch voice I cannot watch the show, it's like tinnitus for me

Aug 27, 2021 7:04 PM

Nov 2018
generic shounenshit protags that scream too much and cant get the simplest ideas through their skull
Aug 27, 2021 7:29 PM

Jan 2020
OmnisexualDemon said:
yeah lol whole concept of lolicon is too creppy grown adult men sexually attracted towards kids and in site like this people defend it.this kind of thing gives animefans bad image
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2021 7:33 PM

Jul 2008
After transitioning more towards manga in the past few years, what grinds my gears with anime is the pace. Manga almost always has a much better flow. Anime just seems so drawn out and dull to me now. Maybe it's the abundance of still frames.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 8, 2021 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
- Dumb / tasteless fanservice and ecchi scenes.
- When it got overdone humor, I might enjoy it less.
- Dozens of fillers or "unnecessary" episodes. Especially some older series got episodes in the hundreds because of it and overstayed their welcome imo.
- The typical generic school boy with no personality.
- Too typical shounen protagonists. It depends on how they are written tho.
- The overly naive shoujo heroine.
- In general too generic characters and also just annoying ones.
- Female characters that are treated much differently than the male characters, or if there are no female characters in the main cast or as important side characters.
- When female characters act overly childish in a romance or in a more serious series. Something like Clannad or Chobits. They appear like they are little kids and that makes the romance irksome.
- Edgelord protagonist make me drop it very fast, or at least enjoying it less. Bloodthirsty protagonists, who go on murder sprees with a crazy laughter and kill indiscriminately and similar. Or when a main character goes down the edgy route.
- Abusive tsunderes, especially if the anime presents itself as romance. I swear something like Toradora is not a romance, it's "domestic abuse"-the animation. Go and present yourself as a drama of an abused boy, then I might be interested lol
- Yanderes, especially with over the top laughs and all.
- Romanticized abuse and rape, sexualized lolis and main characters, who grope and molest girls - instant drop.
- Awful queer characters. Maybe I won't drop it (depending tho), but I hate queer characters that are basically caricatures.
- Dumb power ups and asspulls.
- When they are already 16, 17 and still act like they never heard of the existence of attraction and sex.
- I hate this nosebleeding-trope so much. I'm so glad it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Other stuff:
- An art style I don't like.
- Generic character designs.
- Stupidly bright colors, except it's something like Pretty Cure.
- Sloppy drawn backgrounds with no details etc.
removed-userSep 8, 2021 1:32 PM
Sep 8, 2021 1:44 PM

Aug 2009
When a serious show is too up its own ass, and when the gags of a lowbrow series drag on for too long.

Sep 8, 2021 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
Mainly characters.
characterlimitshit
Sep 8, 2021 3:42 PM
Mar 2021
bad main characters is 100% of the reason I would drop a show. and a show with much that I deeply hate can be saved if I like a couple of the characters, like with Seven Deadly Sins where I hate half the cast, but love Hawk, Ban, King, Gowther, and Guila.

I can tolerate lame animation and messy plotting, but bad characters kill the vibe. terrible writing doesn't help, but if the characters are still appealing even if they're screaming exactly what they feel all the time and traveling the court with the idiot ball, then it's alright.
Sep 8, 2021 5:07 PM
Jan 2020
theres tons of things that ruin an anime but in terms of things that happen during an anime for me:
-Show becomes less good after initial premise
-Characters don't learn from events (Durarara later seasons pissed me off a lot with this)
-show becomes more of the same(tokyo revengers/that time i got reincarnated a slime are examples)

a lesser one that just normally lowers my enjoyment a bit is when I feel the best moment of a show happens early on
I.E mob psycho mob vs teruki was the fight that I thought showed mob off the clearest and best in the series and while theres tons of emotional moments and great scenes I thought this scene was the of the series and while i enjoyed Mob Psycho s2 i always felt like it didnt surpass this moment.
Sep 8, 2021 5:44 PM

Jul 2021
DanieLDesuu said:
One of the reasons is the art style. I wouldnt want to watch an anime that has a fking terrible art style ever, i'd drop it immediately like the art style in this one:

Looks so bad that seems hilarious, should watch it for sure,
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What are some kinks anime has awoken inside you?

Thy-Veseveia - 27 minutes ago

4 by Ratris_Decision »»
3 minutes ago

» What's your favorite anime OST?

Gashadokur0 - Jun 15

40 by pludel2 »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - 36 minutes ago

2 by Ratris_Decision »»
15 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 11

75 by AverageRiceFan »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

95 by karrotStick »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.