Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 2, 2020 9:46 PM
Aug 2020
I went from loving Kite to hating him, to quickly loving him again. I'm assuming that was him in the crowd since he had the same piercings n stuff, and i wish there could have been a concrete re-appearance of him. I'd also like to know if the girl from one of the flashback videos is him, cause if so, I love the trans representation. I looked back at some of the eps from the cult arc to see which uniform he was wearing, but not all of them seemed to follow the 'rule' and had mixed uniforms.

This episode was, by far, the best episode in the series. Its the first ep of the series that made me actually cry instead of just tearing up. Especially when gramps and his wife showed up on the flashback video. Cried even harder when the kid came into frame. I wasn't really expecting to be so attached to some of the characters; ie Kite, Haruo, Koichiro, Go. It's most of the middle part that is rocky. Daniel was completely random, and honestly, didn't really add much to the anime. Sure, the name on the teddy bear did something to make Mari break down, but thats really the only affect he had on other characters. He was really annoying though.

Some of the deaths were stupid, like Koichiro. I can't understand why the sign just said "Don't dig yams" like? As if telling someone to not do something is going to make them not do it? I want to place all the blame on him, but come on. Why not just say "explosives don't dig" or something? Still, if you're having to dig 6 feet to find some damn yams, somethings wrong, and I thought he'd realise it since he was supposedly knowledgable.

The thing that really saved this anime was gramps. A fucking legend he was(minus the xenophobia). That scooter scene? EVERYTHING. Why the hell doesn't he have his own anime? I'd watch the fuck out of the shitshow that is his life.

In my top scenes is also the conversations between the siblings in the raft. It was one of the only scenes that I could really connect to the characters-the main ones at that-and it put it into perspective with how they handle things and how they think. I, and a bunch of others, criticise how quickly the deaths occur, but honestly, that's how it would be. They're living during natural disasters. While they could have still had more conversations about their past, and give more backstory, their deaths being 'sudden' is pretty realistic.

Some scenes-or episodes-were a bit shaky and confusing, but honestly, I can't say I hated it. If I did, I probably wouldn't have gotten as emotional as I did at the end.
Aug 3, 2020 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
dont really know what to say, im speechless.

is kite alive? what happened to haruo?

idk this anime was just so sad. like...an unnecessary amount of sad. to the point that it wasnt even enjoyable.
Aug 3, 2020 12:21 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fantastic final episode but a pretty bad show even then, I'm afraid. Poor animation quality, slapstick-level direction and unnecessary mid-arc among more but the soundtrack, from the great Ushio Kensuke, was bloody great! Mix of Devilam Crybaby and Koe no Katachi aesthetics, wonderful!

Rising Suns - the moment this played and we got a whole slideshow of the "former Japan", I really can't describe the feeling honestly. Simply, beautiful. When the tempo rose and the chorus came on, 10/10. Thank You!

Coupled with the monologue from Ayumu and the moment Rising Suns, Again played, man twas' one of the finest conclusions to an anime I've had the pleasure of viewing. Not to mention, Kaf's ending song there too! All round, all positives in that 2nd half especially.

1st half wasn't half-bad either to be honest. Kite is a real bro, I just knew he wasn't going to abandon them from the get-go. Ambiguous whether he managed to survive but I'm betting not, tough way to have to meet one's end though I must say. Seriously, what couldn't he possibly do though lol? RIP.

Overall, I think I will have to settle with a 4/10 here. Animation, for the most bit, was really bad and the Characters so-so along with the messy plot and direction but if I may borrow Gigguk's words with a alteration of my own - it's basically a 3/10 show with a few 10/10 moments.

Yikes, the overdone Engrish moments was really off-putting though...

Absolutely not going to regret watching this however, this last episode really packed a punch after all.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 3, 2020 12:25 PM
Nov 2019
I won't say anything bad to this show because i'm glad that Kite is alive. But really, Koga's death is unecessary and predictable. Should have let him live.
Aug 3, 2020 5:40 PM

Aug 2011
Watched after Trash Taste podcast mentioned this... had to watch the series over the course of the long weekend.

The animation (or lack of it) was really laughable at times... i swear I was watching a powerpoint when Kite was sneaking around in the random cult base (what the f was that all about anyways?). Some of these characters must have rolled some crazy luck stats given the odds of making it through some of the scenarios in this anime - kids playing Life of Pi to be found in the middle of the ocean miraculously by their parent who survived a sinking ship... and then to be found again by Kite who somehow commandeered an amphibious tank. The characters act so illogical sometimes that it is inhuman. Yeah, this was bad in a lot of ways but I can't say I wasn't entertained watching it. And that's okay - sometimes, that is all I want from my media.
Aug 4, 2020 7:38 PM

Sep 2017
@Papy-1412

Very well said. This anime was definitely a mess but worth a watch nonetheless.

Despite everything I really liked this epilogue. It was a wild and messy journey. How Kite survived; I'll never know.
Aug 5, 2020 9:49 AM
Dec 2018
Antera said:
This was the most anti Japaneses anime I have ever watched... Netflix was literally pissing on them..

I'm not the only one that was noticing this. Wtf netflix.
Aug 13, 2020 5:26 AM
Apr 2020
I just finished it and holy shit, man, I was in tears. The twists, the turns, the reassurance that there is safety and happiness after all the darkness. I think this series is really important, especially nowadays
Aug 15, 2020 8:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This show is so senseless that I watched it more as a joke than something serious, at least it was entertaining thanks to how stupid it is...xD
Aug 20, 2020 6:13 AM

Jan 2020
This show is so bad it's good. I'm really glad I watched it all the way through. Don't think it could have been more absurd every episode.
Aug 25, 2020 6:14 AM

Jan 2008
So, while the premise seemed promising (2012 as an anime? Count me in!), it just didn't deliver.

The art was atrocious most of the time, I was just sitting through it. The first episodes were okay even, until that stuff with that cult (and Daniel...) happened. The show just totally lost me there and I just wanted to get it over with. Why was there something that felt like a filler in a 10 Ep OVA?!

It also bothered me when things got over the top unrealistic, like the mother reuniting with her children somewhere on the ocean. Plus, Ayumu must have been the most terrible character I have seen for a long time...and I have already taken into account that you may act erratically when in such a life-threatening situation.

Also, I was confused what the show wanted to tell me in the end. When that incident with the boat "only for Japanese" happened, it was like anti-nationalist/racist, then I had to endure some strange rapping session and ending sequence about how cool Japan is... ? So, what was the message in the end?

I think the only thing I genuinely liked was the ending that somehow incorporated all those audio pieces that had been scattered throughout the show before and made it seem like it had come full-circle (in a way).

5/10 because I didn't hate it.
SaorinAug 25, 2020 6:22 AM

Aug 26, 2020 9:29 PM

Aug 2016
What a dumpster fire. This felt like propaganda and not a show Japan would make.
Aug 31, 2020 8:13 PM
Dec 2019
Best anime ever, this touched me
Sep 3, 2020 12:38 PM

Dec 2015
Surprised this ended on such a positive note considering the mess that is the rest of the show. It's truly unfortunate that the plot and character completely ruined such a promising premise. The characters are basically tools to help the MC achieve their next goal; while the plot feels like a constant sucker punch that beats all emotions out of you until you become unsure what to feel.

2/10. I shall regard this anime as Japan's attempt to deter weebs from wanting to immigrate, and it's working bloody well.
Sep 6, 2020 6:27 AM
Oct 2019
Thank god they didn't fucked up the ending....

It was so emotional in the last episode 😭
Sep 10, 2020 8:29 PM

May 2017
Kite was literally a deus ex machina in human form. I liked him lmao but he showed up at the most random time and cause such convenient shit to happen. Cool about the nod to him being trans though??
Sep 16, 2020 12:08 AM
Mar 2018
You can really tell this disgrace of a cartoon was made by Netflix.
*This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Important information will follow this tone.*
Sep 20, 2020 5:18 PM
Apr 2014
Papy-1412 said:
Damn, that was one kind of a journey...

Thanks for this insight and yeah I also thought that several scenes were totally anti-japan. Yeah the cheering towards japanese people at the end could be seen different, but it also directly went back towards the point that people could have been under any nationality. Story wise the whole "papa digs around in WWII stuff" or "let's mount that random boat" was really killing the mood.
Sep 23, 2020 3:04 PM
Mar 2020
Rickydory123 said:
Is Kite really alive? It looked like someone else was operating his YouTube channel

U see him watching ayuma's race in the last epsiode!!
Oct 23, 2020 6:35 AM

Jan 2015
Had some good moments but overall was a pretty average anime.
5/10
Nov 15, 2020 3:02 PM
Jul 2016
Wow that show had soo many weird and flawed elements but the ending made me a crying mess. Especially when the last song hit. I loved the ending, with Ayumu at the paralymics. I was hoping for it to climaz in that way, cause' it was pretty obvious she'd loose her leg, the note that whatever fucked up shit happens to you, you have to continue on to get to brighter times. I felt super bad for her tho, when she received her birthday video, having just lost her leg and being reminded of her parents and friend.
Nov 22, 2020 2:13 AM
Apr 2020
Kouichirou, Mari, Nanami, Haruo and the rest faced unfortunate and sudden death. Luckily, Ayumu, Gou and KITE survived. KITE is still a famous YouTuber. Gou is now an E-sports rep of Japan. Ayumu lost her left leg, but she's still living fulfilling her dreams and now a paralympics athlete.

Life is short. No one knows when a destructive calamity will strike. No one knows how long we will remain in this Earth. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. We can't bring back the past. But, we can live in the present. Count your blessings. Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise again. This too shall pass. Just keep on moving forward and aim for a better future.

Ao_SkyNov 22, 2020 2:18 AM
Nov 23, 2020 11:48 PM
May 2020
So kite..is he alive or not, and that one dude he didn’t recover after 4 years? The animation style was not the best although the story did make me cry but something was off. I don’t know I give this anime 5/10z
Dec 3, 2020 6:59 PM

Aug 2007
I really don't understand why this series have too much hate. I mean, the animation is not that good. But the story is good. Not the best, but entertaining.

At the beginning I thought this was an earthquake anime like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. But still I liked it.

About people saying that Kite is still alive or not. There are two moments of this episode that says us that he is alive.
Dec 25, 2020 9:33 AM

Dec 2014
ok like this was a sad show for me.. never enjoy people dying...

but overall a great show
Feb 6, 2021 10:00 PM

May 2020
Kite have a childs already. Man this is awesome. Can't wait for recap
Feb 7, 2021 8:33 PM

Sep 2018
Kite is alive right? Why he doesn't appear at the end? (he is, but only in a video) it's all Ayumu and Go! The ending is fine. I'm bothered on the animation sometimes, their body movement doesn't look good.. like their hand is so big or the face looks funny. My favorite episode is episode 8, it's very emotional for me but that's it, everything is so over dramatic and exaggerated. Overall it's an okay show  6/10
Feb 7, 2021 9:12 PM

Jul 2016
Jesus Christ, I can't believe how forced the "Ayumu losing her foot" plot-line ended up being...

Well... leaving aside some few decent moments such as the first 15 minutes of episode 1; Mari's death and the sequence with Mari's family pictures, this series ended up being as much of a disaster as the earthquakes that sank Japan.
Writing was a total mess with no sense of direction regarding how it wanted to tell its story, there were lots of plot conveniences and inconsistencies that were ignored in order to pull at the audience's heartstrings for lame emotional bait, lack of development for most part of the cast with most deaths being implemented merely for shock value, art was atrocious beyond the point of simply being an artistic choice, etc.

2/10 - Unintentionally, one of 2020's best comedies. That's for sure.

P.S.: Also WTF? Were they implying that Kaito was trans all along?
SouthRzVaFeb 7, 2021 9:18 PM
Nov 13, 2022 11:03 AM
Mar 2022
Nice ep, best of all
Mar 11, 2023 6:36 PM
Sep 2017
This was fun to watch despite it not being pretty. But why would homeboy die from a wave? That part was frustrating. Glad Kite lived, though. It was really sad to see everyone die off one by one..and the cyber japan ending was strange. Also, their hands looked CRAZY right before the mom jumped in to free their boat lmao.
Mar 23, 2023 4:54 AM
Jun 2014
i don't understand why so many people didn't like or even hated this anime, maybe because of the art i think. i loved this anime. really great ending as well. Go actually became an e-sports champion. he's so cool. and i also really like the message of this anime

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 6 Discussion

FMmatron - Jul 9, 2020

46 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

70 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

58 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:32 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 9 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 9, 2020

31 by DontBodyYaSelf »»
Sep 30, 2023 4:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.