Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 8, 2017 6:07 PM

Oct 2017
BurningSpirit said:
I was being discreet to avoid spoilers, if anyone hasn't figured out the death order yet. The winner is

I'm aware there'll likely be a character background reveal of the winner. But character background reveal is not quite the same as character development over the course of the story. My point is, I'm lamenting the fact that we still know nothing AT THIS POINT, which will make it difficult for the show to make me feel invested in the character at the end, especially with a short background reveal likely spanning 1 episode (given there's only 2 episodes left).

Oh okay. I actually know who the winner is, but I was also trying to be discreet so as not to give spoilers. Revealing the winner's background will mean revealing his ability because it's part of his story and apparently, his ability is a dead give-away on why he managed to win the Juuni Taisen. Not that his ability can always give positive results, but it did help him survive the death game. I'm not sure how it's going to be presented in the anime. My fear is it will just be shown in passing or through an unnecessarily lengthy and boring flashback or worse, just be told through a conversation, which may not have as much impact as I hope it would have.

Dec 8, 2017 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Rabbit is single-handedly killing this show. The fact that he could be dead and be conscious at the same time under his own powers is itself a logical impossibility. This would probably be my first 0/10 rating if he wins in the end.
Dec 8, 2017 6:24 PM

Oct 2017
Shicchi said:
Well damn... if it's really intentional even in the source material, that's some bad/lazy writing if you ask me...
I was thinking about putting him in my extended fav character list... but if there's nothing else to the character then meh. What a big disappointment. He is such a crazy character that I was really looking forward to know his backstory.

I'm not sure if it's lazy writing, probably more like straight to the point without going through unnecessary detailed description of the scenarios, just straightforward narration. The novel basically focuses more on the characters' thoughts and less on the actual fighting. It's meant to be a light novel so the length is only about 60K words or less. And Rabbit was deliberately left without a background to give him an air of mystery. Not everything should be explained. Some stories leave readers to use their imagination to fill in the blanks and use their own interpretation. If that's a skill you don't have, you shouldn't be watching this in the first place. What baffles me is I don't even know why this was described as a battle royale in the first place. It should have been referred to as survival game instead. Or merely just a contest since the object is to collect all jewels.

Dec 8, 2017 9:36 PM

Jan 2010
staranise said:
Shicchi said:
Well damn... if it's really intentional even in the source material, that's some bad/lazy writing if you ask me...
I was thinking about putting him in my extended fav character list... but if there's nothing else to the character then meh. What a big disappointment. He is such a crazy character that I was really looking forward to know his backstory.

I'm not sure if it's lazy writing, probably more like straight to the point without going through unnecessary detailed description of the scenarios, just straightforward narration. The novel basically focuses more on the characters' thoughts and less on the actual fighting. It's meant to be a light novel so the length is only about 60K words or less. And Rabbit was deliberately left without a background to give him an air of mystery. Not everything should be explained. Some stories leave readers to use their imagination to fill in the blanks and use their own interpretation. If that's a skill you don't have, you shouldn't be watching this in the first place. What baffles me is I don't even know why this was described as a battle royale in the first place. It should have been referred to as survival game instead. Or merely just a contest since the object is to collect all jewels.

WHAT...?! Are you kidding me?!
I mean, everyone is getting a backstory so why not him? Are you saying he is crazy so he doesn't need one? BS.
Listen here, you won't understand because you probably not a fan of Rabbit in the first place but, the way the anime presented, this show is about battle royale, survival game, you name it, and we watchers would root/guess one or more character to win. And apparently, since the very beginning, they deliberately set a pattern, each character will get a backstory and then death.
Do you think I only watch this show for the gore? No, I really do enjoyed each and every characters thoughts and story, it's part of the things I enjoyed the most. Naturally, Rabbit, as my fav character, is the one I was looking forward to the most. But I got nothing in the end. It's not that I can't do some imagination, but there's literally nothing else to the character other than crazy necromantist pervert. And that what hurt me the most.
Not everything should be explained, idk about the source material but the way the anime make it is like "Here new episode, new backstory of each of the characters! But whooops sorry but no backstory for Rabbit! Instead make him as creepy as possible! This mangled zombie is too fucked up do you really think he deserve a backstory?! Fools! He served his purpose already! To attract potential watcher by his over-the-top design and provide gore and creepiness and surprise deaths to other characters HA!"

It's not a mystery if you never plan to fucking unravel it in the first place. Just a cheap bait.

Also, is the source material has the same title as the anime? Because the word Taisen means Battle so there's that.
CrimsonMidnightDec 8, 2017 11:11 PM
Dec 9, 2017 12:05 AM

Oct 2017
Shicchi said:
I mean, everyone is getting a backstory so why not him? Are you saying he is crazy so he doesn't need one? BS.
Listen here, you won't understand because you probably not a fan of Rabbit in the first place but, the way the anime presented, this show is about battle royale, survival game, you name it, and we watchers would root/guess one or more character to win. And apparently, since the very beginning, they deliberately set a pattern, each character will get a backstory and then death.
Do you think I only watch this show for the gore? No, I really do enjoyed each and every characters thoughts and story, it's part of the things I enjoyed the most. Naturally, Rabbit, as my fav character, is the one I was looking forward to the most. But I got nothing in the end. It's not that I can't do some imagination, but there's literally nothing else to the character other than crazy necromantist pervert. And that what hurt me the most.
Not everything should be explained, idk about the source material but the way the anime make it is like "Here new episode, new backstory of each of the characters! But whooops sorry but no backstory for Rabbit! Instead make him as creepy as possible! This mangled zombie is too fucked up do you really think he deserve a backstory?! Fools! He served his purpose already! To attract potential watcher by his over-the-top design and provide gore and creepiness and surprise deaths to other characters HA!"

It's not a mystery if you never plan to fucking unravel it in the first place. Just a cheap bait.

Also, is the source material has the same title as the anime? Because the word Taisen means Battle so there's that.

Juuni Taisen is literally translated as Zodiac War and yes, that's the title of the novel. It refers more to the war between the families and each family represent a Chinese zodiac. Hence, when they introduce themselves, they say 'Warrior of the [insert name of the zodiac family they represent]. The characters are merely pawns.

Rabbit doesn't have a background period. It's been a while since I read the whole thing so I can't remember if it was directly explained why he doesn't have one, just that his details are unknown, meaning unknown to whoever is narrating the story. The backstories of the other characters, FYI, were mostly expanded in the anime. Some characters only had their background told in a couple of paragraphs or so in the novel.

Though there may still be hope to see a glimpse of Rabbit's background, even if it's just a little.

Dec 9, 2017 12:42 AM

Jan 2010
staranise said:
Shicchi said:

Juuni Taisen is literally translated as Zodiac War and yes, that's the title of the novel. It refers more to the war between the families and each family represent a Chinese zodiac. Hence, when they introduce themselves, they say 'Warrior of the [insert name of the zodiac family they represent]. The characters are merely pawns.

Rabbit doesn't have a background period. It's been a while since I read the whole thing so I can't remember if it was directly explained why he doesn't have one, just that his details are unknown, meaning unknown to whoever is narrating the story. The backstories of the other characters, FYI, were mostly expanded in the anime. Some characters only had their background told in a couple of paragraphs or so in the novel.

Though there may still be hope to see a glimpse of Rabbit's background, even if it's just a little.

Ah, I ended up reading the spoiler... I really seriously disappointed in the show that I really don't care about spoilers anymore.

I'm thinking of dropping this show.
Dec 9, 2017 1:00 AM
Jan 2016
staranise said:
And Rabbit was deliberately left without a background to give him an air of mystery. Not everything should be explained. Some stories leave readers to use their imagination to fill in the blanks and use their own interpretation. If that's a skill you don't have, you shouldn't be watching this in the first place.

While it's true not everything needs to be explained (and certainly some things shouldn't be explained, the Reapers in Mass Effect and the origin of the balls in Gantz are great examples), it's pretty unfair to say something like "If that's a skill you don't have, you shouldn't be watching this in the first place". The reader/viewer's imagination has no bearing on whether or not the author successfully created a mysterious character; a good mysterious character shouldn't even need to have any blanks filled, they should be carried entirely by the weight of the threat they present, their words, their presence, and/or the effect they have on other characters.

Rabbit is none of those. He's simply presented as yet another warrior with an unexplained magical power like most of the others and just as tacky a sense of style; he's like the villain of a slasher/horror film, but instead of having normal people as his victims, he has villains from other slasher films, any air of mystery he might have had got drowned out by all the other characters and it doesn't help said characters don't treat him as anything special. If anything, Ox and Rat are better sold as mysterious characters, because the former is openly feared/respected and the latter keeps giving everyone a sense of deja vu.
Dec 9, 2017 3:11 AM

Oct 2017
MysteriousBanana said:
staranise said:
And Rabbit was deliberately left without a background to give him an air of mystery. Not everything should be explained. Some stories leave readers to use their imagination to fill in the blanks and use their own interpretation. If that's a skill you don't have, you shouldn't be watching this in the first place.

While it's true not everything needs to be explained (and certainly some things shouldn't be explained, the Reapers in Mass Effect and the origin of the balls in Gantz are great examples), it's pretty unfair to say something like "If that's a skill you don't have, you shouldn't be watching this in the first place". The reader/viewer's imagination has no bearing on whether or not the author successfully created a mysterious character; a good mysterious character shouldn't even need to have any blanks filled, they should be carried entirely by the weight of the threat they present, their words, their presence, and/or the effect they have on other characters.

Rabbit is none of those. He's simply presented as yet another warrior with an unexplained magical power like most of the others and just as tacky a sense of style; he's like the villain of a slasher/horror film, but instead of having normal people as his victims, he has villains from other slasher films, any air of mystery he might have had got drowned out by all the other characters and it doesn't help said characters don't treat him as anything special. If anything, Ox and Rat are better sold as mysterious characters, because the former is openly feared/respected and the latter keeps giving everyone a sense of deja vu.

Rat isn't a mystery. The reason why others have a sense of deja vu around him is because they have either fought against him or worked with him in any of the alternate realities/paths he created and experienced for the Juuni Taisen.
Dec 9, 2017 7:51 AM

Mar 2013
What a Sad Episode... I almost sweat my eyes.
Tora could easily be my favourite characters in this series by looking at this Episode... RIP

fukken OP Rabbit, please nerf... He's so creepy af. (Still I kinda want to know his backstory even for a second)

Zensenjabz said:
Does anyone know the background music title on the scene where TORA wished her death in the hands of USHII?

An answer is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

It's "Silver Moon" by Do As Infinity, the same group who fill this Series' Ending Song too.
Rio-Dec 9, 2017 8:02 AM
Dec 9, 2017 11:31 PM
Sep 2015
I just realize how similar this is to the original tale of chinese zodiak race. For example, Rat got first because he was on Ox's back the whole time, and when they almost reach the finish line, rat just hop off and won the race. Others are kinda similar too. Or it's just my imagination.......
Dec 10, 2017 3:02 AM
Jan 2016
staranise said:
Rat isn't a mystery. The reason why others have a sense of deja vu around him is because they have either fought against him or worked with him in any of the alternate realities/paths he created and experienced for the Juuni Taisen.

Yeah, I didn't want to spoil it, but I guess at this point it doesn't really matter. I'm just saying Rat was presented as a more mysterious character throughout the show than Rabbit, even if the end takes a crowbar to that mystery with his flashback.
Dec 10, 2017 7:19 AM

May 2017
Did they run out of budget midway through the series,
This show started of pretty good ,
I hope the next season would be better.
Dec 13, 2017 10:52 AM

Jul 2009
More of Tora, so she had met Ushi in the past, and he was the reason why she changed, so sad she died, damn you Rabbit!
Dec 13, 2017 11:10 AM

Aug 2016
All I could think was, "Heh. Ushii and Tora."
Dec 13, 2017 4:01 PM
Oct 2015
why her ! why did the tigress die? I wanted her to survive and tell the bull about everything, but this rabbit had to use necromancy on himself! bitch, I immediately guessed that he used a necromancer on himself.
I hate this bastard, the most interesting character for me was a tigress but that rabbit bitch is not dead and he had to kill her!, I hate, I HATE, I HATE HIM! God i wish this bastard died in the first episode MF i damn hate him !
Dec 14, 2017 4:38 AM

Jul 2015
This is the highlight episode of the series imo. Got to see more of the backstory of Tora and Ushii. She was bound to die but it kinda sucks that she didn't tell Ox that they met before.
Dec 15, 2017 9:18 AM
Feb 2012
goddamit i'd really started to like tiger girl as well

so far both my favourite characters in this ugh
Dec 17, 2017 1:17 AM

Aug 2017
I know it, Rabbit have a plan B. I think that the moment is a bit overdramatic but the death of Tiger was the only good in the entire show. However, this episode have some plot holes (Why Ox doesn't remember Tiger?, I think that the explanation of why Tiger is so angry to Ox is a bit forced) The show still have 4/10 despite this good episode. I can't ignore the bad writing in at least 8 episodes, sorry. 3/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 17, 2017 2:18 AM

Jul 2008
So Rat will be the champ huh?

No way Usagi wins after all of this.
Dec 17, 2017 10:09 AM

Feb 2009
Tora x Ushii ftw lol

Tora's story hit me in the feels right next to old man Sheep...they both showed how normal and abused they were by the world to end up in a fight battle like this, the total opposite of Rabbit or Pig? Whoever she was (died so early lol) i kinda wish Monkey lasted longer because those are the people she was trying to protect so her story would've weaved in better there I think...but omg, what a great show. atos for me

Dec 19, 2017 3:56 AM

Mar 2009
We finally got character development in the 10th episode. And what do you know, it was the best episode of the series. Funny how that works, huh?
Dec 19, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2016
R.I.P Tora...
Now i get the feeling thar rat will win using sheeps invention
Dec 20, 2017 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
I won't lie... I cried like a baby at the end of the episode. I didn't like Tora at all before, but when we got to see her past I started to like her and she was my second favorite character (first is Nezumi). And that scene back then when Ushii saved her... so sweet, I almost shipped them. For me it has been the best episode yet, I'll see what comes next.
And about Usagi... like wtf? That was epic, but I hope he won't regenerate again.
Jan 7, 2018 11:42 PM
May 2017
Meanwhile; at Heaven...

Tora: Ushii, why are you here!!!

Ox: Its unfortunate, but I lost the juuni taisen.

Tora: Who killed you?

Ox: Nezumi...

Tora: Seriously?!!! you mean Nezumi, the mouse warrior? But how did he even killed you? You're the genius of the battlefield right? it's so illogical!!! you must be joking!!!

Ox: While I was fighting with the rabbit, monkey exploded out from his corpse and locked both my arms. i was at a complete disadvantage, i tried biting off my tongue but they seem to know my every move and prevented it. I guess they wanted to use me as one of their undead army as well. I was at a complete loss to the rabbit, but then Nezumi appeared and ended all of this with a time bomb he found from the sheep's corpse.

Ox: I was all thanks to you too, Warrior of the tiger.

Tora: (blush)...But i did nothing useful...you don't have to be nice to me all of a sudden...it feels weird

Ox:(smile) you did plenty. if it wasn't for you kiiling the sheep, Nezumi wouldn't have easily gotten the bomb to end all of this, and i would eventually turned into one of rabbit's corpse army. The rabbit could have have won, but you prevented that.

Tora: Oh, i see...But you lost right. Stupid Ox!!! I was rooting for you the whole time ya'know!!! i even sacrificed myself for that!!! I wanted you to win, the world could have been a better place if your wish was fullfilled!!! not like me...I'm just a mistake.

Ox:(pats her shoulder) Don't ever call yourself a mistake!!! what you did back there was a true act of a noble warrior. i was never saved by someone before. you were the first one. I'm truly indebted to you, warrior of the tiger. And i would love to raise a toast to an honorable warrior like you.

Tora:(smiles brightly)...thank you Ushii...and to be honest, I'm actually the one repaying my debt to you.

Ox: Hmm, what do you mean?

Tora: Well I guess i might as well tell you everything since it's over already. Long time ago, we've met on the battlefield before. I was the little girl you carried on your back remember? i did not tell you this, but I was a warrior myself at that time.

Ox: Hmm, now that I look of it, you do seem quite familiar. I've saved alot of innocent girls like you back then. but I think there's this one girl that asked me something quite perculiar, about whats right thing to do. as I recalled.

Tora: Baka Ushii!!! That's me!!!

Ox: (speechless)...*Ahem* you must forgive me, my memory was abit dulled after countless slaughterings. I did not expect that the girl I saved back then was an honorable warrior like you.

Tora: (Signs) You really are stupid aren't you, Baka Ushii!!! but i'm glad you finally remembered me ^^ I've got alot of things i wanted to ask you too. like how you always get to do the right thing so effortlessly and how do you save so much people at the right time.

Ox: (smile) very well then, And to be infact, I've got alot of things I wanted to ask you myself as well. Warrior of the tiger.

Their conversation will be continued at my wattpad, I'll post the link soon.
sora975Jan 7, 2018 11:49 PM
Jan 10, 2018 7:56 AM

Oct 2009
What a trash heap this show is. I don't understand how anyone is enjoying this. I'm only going to finish it so I can feel justified in giving it a terrible rating. Not a single positive thing to say about it.
Jan 12, 2018 12:33 PM

Jan 2017
That was romance.      
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 31, 2018 11:00 PM
Mar 2016
No!!! Not my Tora!!! My otp is gone!!!
Feb 2, 2018 3:13 AM
Aug 2013
I loved ushii's monologue about goodness and how it's not possible without intention unlike evil. I thought he was a simple minded man before but he made me think. I still feel like rat is gonna win somehow but we'll see
Feb 4, 2018 4:13 PM

Dec 2010
The backstory was quite lame. It was not captivated by Ox`s monologue, given the fact that he is just a serial killer a he was reluctant to team up with others.

But second half of the EP was great, possibly the best segment from this series.

Rabbit is way too OP right now, they still underestimate him. This logic.
Feb 24, 2018 7:04 PM

Aug 2007
I think this was the first episode I legit enjoyed a lot.
The first couple episodes were neat, but from episode 3-9 it was p terrible.
I'm hoping the last couple episode keeps things interesting!

Apr 19, 2019 7:16 PM

Feb 2015
I hate being right sometimes but this episode was pretty good.

Where the hell is Rat anyway, he hasnt shown himself since Horse died... guess it doesnt matter since he'll probably show himself next episode since there are 2 characters left now(?)

Expecting flashbacks for both Rat and Ox...
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2017

197 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.