Forum Settings
Forums

What are the most problematic thing in recent anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 13, 2017 6:34 AM
Jul 2018
I guess almost every anime nowadays is standardised. The plots are predictable and very similar to previous animes who had huge success.
Also, there seems to be a huge need for stupid happy endings. That's why I liked "Kuzu no Honkai" so much.
I also miss good fantasy animes. Most are just stupid fantasy garbage without a decent plot.
Aug 13, 2017 7:11 AM

May 2016
Eight-Man said:
Copy copy copy. Every anime now just copies from the last one. Boku no hero and kakegurui are the only good ones this season

And Don't forget about Made in Abyss.
Accept everyone's opinions. Unless they are badly constructed or something the lines of "Uhh duuh da girls were sexy"

That's not an opinion, that's Something called "A lack of brain cells". Specifically the latter.

Everyone who likes Eromanga-Sensei is a pedophile.
Aug 13, 2017 7:15 AM

Apr 2017
More H U M A N N A T U R E ... is always needed

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 13, 2017 7:25 AM

Apr 2011
le_halfhand_easy said:
1.) Being just an ad for the source material.

2.) I'd rather they adapt already completed stories, rather than be tethered to an unfinished one.

3.) Or rather make an anime original. But its risky.

4.) Risk aversion. Understandable, but frustrating.

akirakishitani said:

too much bro con and sis con
too much echi
decent storyboard

^This.
Also, cramming completed works into 1 cour, even when there's tons of chapters to be adapted so it ends up being terrible.
And, the moe flat rainbow brite animation style that plagues most anime that comes out recently. No shadowing, no depth in the coloring. It pains me.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Aug 13, 2017 7:53 AM

Dec 2012
Amazing episode 1's and the rest of the season is legit horrible, dropped around 5 anime this season because of this problem lol
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Aug 13, 2017 9:10 AM

Dec 2015
Nobody addressed the elephant in the room: the lack of cellulo.

My main problem has already been noted before:
Kuma said:
Abundant amount of late night shows solely for ads and lack of original series...

Also, we're back in a time period where almost no producer will fund an original project not featuring "assurance" elements (things sure to lure a certain amount of spectators).

(And so many things look as shiny, flat or filtered as possible.)

Jimmykudo3000 said:
The most problematic thing about "modern/new" anime is that that technology has advanced so far in terms of lighting, animation quality and technique, etc that its rendered all the old "classics" obsolete.

How did technology advanced in term of animation quality and technique? It has made things easier to animate compared to the same movements in cellulo days but I can't think about something that wasn't possible back then. It's still a great thing in that it has raised the technical quality level of TV animation overall.
Also, are you sure technology helped the people to progress in terms of animation techniques: now, even less people know how to animate properly giant robots (it's an example) or even a simple pair of legs. (luckily, it has been "patched" thanks to 3DCGI). There should not have been a loss of savoir-faire while getting new techniques.

Stripesu said:

I've tempted getting into Macross but it's a large ass franchise.....

You could simply check Macross ~ Ai oboete imasuka, maybe?
Aug 13, 2017 9:52 PM

Sep 2009
Lordwen said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Too much shitty LN. Too much shitty VN. Too much shitty manga, Everything's (well, the adaptations) just too shit.
As if original anime had the most creative minds in the planet. They're consistently worse in general.

Original anime aren't often the best anime, but the best anime are often original anime.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 13, 2017 10:19 PM
Jan 2017
More and more 12 episode shows which don't get a second season ;(
Anime in general run shorter which often forces the story to be rushed, I think that's what hit Kiznaiver extremely hard, those characters deserved more time to develop. We got like what, two backstories? That covered three characters from the main cast.
Edit: I don't think that new anime are generally worse, but there are few reasons why one could think that:
1. Survivorship bias - anime that are remembered from the past are usually the good ones, unless something was a spectacular failure like Pupa or something. Do you think people will remember the smartphone isekai in 3 years?
2. There's just more anime - the market wants more anime, so it's provided, but there is only so many interesting stories to animate. Sometimes you have to settle on substandard, because you just couldn't get your hands on a good licencing deal.
3. It takes time for something to become a cult classic.
4. Old school stylistic choices seem novel, so they become interesting by the virtue of being old.
5. Some people are just nostalgia wankers who think shows from their childhood/introduction to anime are the shit, and shows that came later are just shit.
karton_realistaAug 13, 2017 11:08 PM
Aug 13, 2017 10:21 PM

Jun 2008
WE NEET MORE TRAPS!!!!

2016 had like 2 good traps....that's it!

WHERE ARE THEY THIS YEAR?!??!

PLS JAPAN!!!

#nohomo
Aug 13, 2017 10:31 PM

Feb 2015
Surely, everything as lomg as human being deems it as problematic.
Aug 13, 2017 11:16 PM

Jan 2014
Lots of not fully adapted 1 cour, lots of LN and VN bad adaptations, and on top of that, s2 never.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Aug 13, 2017 11:44 PM
Jun 2017
1) go with what trending instead of an interesting show
2) the usual 12 or 24 episodes format
3) make to advertise the original material instead of being independent
4) similar to 1 but, too much moe, fan service series
5) limit access by the western audience
6) characters are make base on solely on archetypes
Aug 13, 2017 11:50 PM

Apr 2013
--ALEX-- said:
WE NEET MORE TRAPS!!!!

2016 had like 2 good traps....that's it!

WHERE ARE THEY THIS YEAR?!??!

PLS JAPAN!!!

#nohomo

Astolfo

that one really pretty/cute crossdresser from Twin Angle Break!

the main love interest in that Skirt something something Hentai short series

Saki Mizushima (will show up in the im@s SideM Anime this October)

Don't worry fam, Japan has you covered with the Traps in 2017 too (especially Saki, since oh boy is that dude cute as f**k)
Aidoru-OjisanAug 13, 2017 11:59 PM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 14, 2017 12:15 AM

Dec 2014
Recent problems:
  • way too many shows comming out
  • little to no innovation besides CGI's quality increase
  • big number of "specific genres" (trapped in fantasy woirld/MMORPG etc.) and very small variaty of "normal genres" (it's mainly romance,
    sol, fantasy-adventure, comedy and we get a gundam and that is it)

Overall problems:
  • the overproduction mans that they dont finish off franchises cause new will statistically sale better
  • lack of animators (due to overproduction)
    , they became the bottleneck of the industry (sadly)
  • way too much focus on one genre at a time (I haven't seen a good horror coming out in a long time)
  • remake film (pls. stop, or if you change the story finish it *pointing at Anno and the Eva 4.0*)
  • overall finish it. Nothing is worse than having a light novel adaptation where the source is finished and they just say : "screw it itz didn't sale" and scraps season 2 (which would nearly or entirely complete the story leading to 2*12 = 24 ep anime which would be the norm theese days
  • if you make an international succes with a eg. light novel adaptation, and give it a read the manga ending, then for Haruhis sake at least fund a decent paced translation of 10+ volumes (pointing at (mainly) Mahouka)

Own personal problems:
  • adapt if fully fast / translate it in a much faster pace: Mahouka, Sunday Without God, Haruhi (adaptation, crack that policy Kyoto) , Date A Live, No Game No Life and so on...
  • make shows with IQ criteria again (talking about the "elitist staff" Shinsekai Yori, Ergo Proxy, Zankyou no Terror)
  • make another Madoka mocvie , just because how the 3rd movie ended
Aug 14, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
other than the usual shounens, just weird content
a gambling school, time eating demons, a convenience store
Aug 18, 2017 10:57 PM

Apr 2016
tragedydesu said:
>too much romance anime with a tsundere main love interest

Absolutely! The tsundere archetype has been beaten to death; at first it was indicative of an intriguing character backstory for Asuka, but now it's just become a stock character archetype that glorifies petty, immature behavior and domestic abuse. It's lazy, it's not funny anymore, and it's bland.
Aug 19, 2017 1:24 AM

Apr 2015
Those weird censoring things they do even with ecchi and hentai so you need to search/wait for uncensored version instead, if you care enough. Why you do this Japan?Tho I'm watching Hajimete no gal solely because it's censoring is so bad it's funny

And also they censor any gore so you need to wait BD release to see some blood
Aug 19, 2017 5:18 PM

Jan 2017
too many shiity fantasy/ transported into another world LN trash.
not enough well written, well produced high fantasy and SCI FI shows. the last GREAT sci fi show is psycho pass and that show was produced in 2012.
Aug 19, 2017 5:42 PM

Jul 2016
Weird ass incest shit?? Like it's gross? Is incest like a common thing over there? Surely not...I mean and it's usually like immediate family like bro and sis which makes it even worse than it already was! I was watching Bungou Stray Dogs and one of the main gags is that the siblings are screwing eachother. Seriously it's not even funny it's just gross...

Tsunderes dominating the romance game. I'm sick of them. They're not cute. Beating up and belittling your partner constantly is abusive and just makes them assholes.

Most anime just trying to be a clone of previous popular anime (be it SOA clones or whatever). I don't know if this has always been the case (probably has) but it's only recently that I actually began to watch airing anime and looking at the seasonal schedules most of them seem like popularity grabs
Aug 19, 2017 8:06 PM
Jul 2014
1) Loli fetish
2) Moe culture
3) Too many tsunderes
4) Continuation issues (I don't want to read the manga or LN for every show just because the ending isn't conclusive)
5) Incest (sister/brother bullshit over and over)
6) This is petty, but hypebeasts overrating the fuck out of any anime (Totally turned me off from kakegurui...it's really not THAT good lmao)
Aug 20, 2017 9:45 AM
Apr 2009
My main issue is that in recent years the average length of a show has dropped from 25/26 to 12/13. The plots for the more recent anime seem like they are not as good
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Which character deserves a boycott?

SgtBateMan - 60 minutes ago

3 by inim »»
2 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers?

IssyBoy - 1 hour ago

12 by Mirthmaxxing »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7234 by Vaturna »»
15 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

42 by Farabeuf »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

65 by Asphiee »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.