Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 22, 2016 10:00 AM

Sep 2009
That's what you wanna watch; dragons vs airplanes + historical figures fighting eachother to the death. BEST SHOW.
Oct 22, 2016 11:36 AM

Jul 2008
Poor western drifters need some "lucky strike"

Well I tried to keep in mind that it's just anime
But I still hate the way how Anastasia's image was used. At least Jeanne d'Arc was a warrior...
Oct 22, 2016 11:55 AM

Nov 2009
I freakin' LOOOVE this series thus far!! It's too amaazing for words oh god, looking forward to every single week!! And it has been a while since I have been looking forward to a series every week~

For those who were upset about Anastasia's appearance (as a poor representative of Russia I think?)...I dunno if this is true or not since I kinda skimmed through info online, but just in case I am putting spoiler tags:

RealExtinctionOct 22, 2016 11:58 AM
Oct 22, 2016 12:06 PM
Aug 2014
alpha_shadow said:
SourceChrome said:
Decent? wow, guess you can't please weeaboos lul

This is your first post on the forums, wow. As if decent is a bad thing, please don't post any longer if that's the type of stuff you have to say. xD
Can't make me kid.
Oct 22, 2016 12:12 PM

Nov 2015

I prefer the Jeanne D'Arc of Fate (jeje) but I guess this if good too jaja.

Ok, it is confirmed that the "Ends" have some sort of supernatural powers while the Drifters do not, at least, none of them have showed any ability that could be considered supernatural.

The apparition of the aviator, Naoshi, was so cool. Taking down dragons with his plane's machine gun.

Toyohisa, Oda and Yoichi scared the fuck out of Olmine when they discovered her xD
"Please don't cut my head off!" jajaja.

I like the way I'm liking this series.

It's a shame tho that I can't pick up all historical references.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oct 22, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2015
the end of the episode was so funny hahahahahha. They didn't care at all about the girl's explanation.
btw, the episode overall was very good
5/5
Oct 22, 2016 12:55 PM

Oct 2015
This show just gets better and better. Much blood and awesomeness. Humor is still eh. Dat plane tho. Also i really like how Ends seem like people who got screwed over by history. (Jeanne d'Arc having fire powers is morbidly fitting.)
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Oct 22, 2016 1:10 PM

Sep 2016
I think this series going to be fun

Do not take life too seriously.
You will never get out of it alive.

Oct 22, 2016 1:53 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
thebrentinator24 said:
Wow this was a really intense episode. I like the setup with this whole war between the Drifters and the Ends, can't wait to see more badassery from both sides. My problem with this show is still, as I'm sure most people can guess, the comedy, and after 3 episodes I think I figured out why I don't like it. It's not because it isn't funny, it's just the timing is bad. The comedy in this series could work but when it's being put in scenes that should be serious, or right after a serious conversation, it comes off as jarring.

Btw @Tokoya the two gunslingers are Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

CrossfitJesus said:
Tokoya said:

I dunno who the two gunslingers (Not sure if we even got their names tbh) are exactly but so far I like them...

Pretty sure they are Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid since he was referred to as Kid.

Mako said:
Tokoya said:

I dunno who the two gunslingers (Not sure if we even got their names tbh) are exactly but so far I like them....In regards to the Ends, that swordsman is crazy powerful lol and Jean and that other hot girl having elemental powers is impressive even tho Jean is clearly a psychopath

Sundance Kid and Butch Cassidy from the notorious Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch, an outlaw gang during the American Old West times. Bank robberies, train heists, you know the drill. There's an old quite popular western film about them.
Thanks for clearing that up for me guys :)
Oct 22, 2016 4:07 PM

Jun 2014
This episode got a little pace. Everything went chaos real quick. Was not expecting that. I really liked the battle though, reminded me of Game Of Thrones. The last scene was supposed to be funny? Eh, I don't think a 5 year old would even think it's comedy.
Oct 22, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2014
I get that GATE feel here. I like seeing the trio/comedy.
---------My Profile------------
Oct 22, 2016 7:44 PM

Jun 2014
Looks like the show finally got rolling.
Hopefully they keep this up for the rest of the show.
Oct 23, 2016 12:33 AM

Sep 2016
Damn good episode. It was full of action and I'm glad we seem to know where the plot is going. It may be on the simpler side but I'm completely fine with it. I love the character designs and the atmosphere is on point. Probably the best anime this fall in my opinion as of right now. I just hope it keeps the quality up.
Oct 23, 2016 12:55 AM

Mar 2016
Oh yea baby. OHH YEAA BABY
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 23, 2016 2:28 AM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
Ckan said:

Oh come on Fai, aside from maybe Hannibal, why would any of these figures come up in school education outside of Japan?

Oda is like ONE thing I am pretty sure most schools cover since it is easily THE most famous ruler of Japan EVER. And Hijikata was THE "Leader" of Shinsegumi. Even if the founder or other famous members never come up, hisname always comes up discussing that.
Butch Cassidy is pretty much the MAIN thing that anybody mentions when teaching about wild west period of USA, as Wild Bunch is pretty much the epitome of wild west outlaws. Let's not forget that even basic cultural knowledge means you would know of or would have seen Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid movie.

Sorry but outside Japan Tokugawa is brought up way more than Oda and the Shinsengumi is practically unheard of in any pre college history class.
Oct 23, 2016 5:09 AM

Dec 2010
Whi is Hijikata on the bad side? I hate this so much.
Oct 23, 2016 8:23 AM

Oct 2015
Historical figures fighting each other? What more can you ask for damn
Oct 23, 2016 8:43 AM
Apr 2011
RealExtinction said:
I freakin' LOOOVE this series thus far!! It's too amaazing for words oh god, looking forward to every single week!! And it has been a while since I have been looking forward to a series every week~

For those who were upset about Anastasia's appearance (as a poor representative of Russia I think?)...I dunno if this is true or not since I kinda skimmed through info online, but just in case I am putting spoiler tags:

Sorry buddy, but you are wrong. Rasputin is the dude in glasses next to Anastasia.

The biggest and best theory so far for Black King is Jesus Christ.
Oct 23, 2016 8:50 AM
Apr 2011
Fai said:
Ckan said:

I mean, sure, if you're going from a pop-culture angle I'd definitively give you Butch and Kid, undeniably. But even if Nobunaga's somewhat a western anime fandom meme, and Japan loves the to bits Shinsengumi, they're both still niche figures so far as the rest of the word is concerned. For heavy anime fans they're probably going to come across those names eventually - but to the general population and historically, they're surely localised figures.

And my guess for the most famous 'ruler' of Japan would be Hirohito, because WW2 always trumps. The Warring States is just so easily passed over in favour the Tokugawa.

Oh I know plenty people know of Tokugawa, as in term/period/etc. However ask yourself this - is a person more likely to know Nobunaga when someone mentions Oda or the Demon King or is a person more likely to know Ieyasu when someone mentions Tokugawa?

Yeah Hirohito does come up a lot but a LOT of people would prefer to be ignorant over Japan's WW2 crimes and that whole period. And a lot of school education is about "glorifying" history. I personally never really heard of him till at least university

I guess it does depend on how education is handled in country and all those things, but those figures are also pop-culture tropes, so I do find it hard to believe that people would have avoided knowing anything about them, let alone ANY of them.

Next time you see someone talking about the wrong history, direct them to this amazing thing called Wikipedia, which they should have done the moment they failed to recognize a important historical figure. If they are too lazy to do that even after being told to do so, they are unsalvagable unrecyclable organisms who are trolling the forum, so just ignore them.
Oct 23, 2016 12:06 PM

Nov 2009
trannon1 said:
Sorry buddy, but you are wrong. Rasputin is the dude in glasses next to Anastasia.

Oh! Well, that obviously makes better sense.XD Thanks for clearing that up!

He could also be Moses tho or something I suppose...but yeah, thanks.
Oct 23, 2016 3:40 PM

Nov 2015
Well, another great episode.
I love how well they use CGI, you don't see this often nowadays.
The only criticism I have is that it seemed a bit rushed because it went directly into the battle without a lot background knowledge.

[b]4/5[b/]
Oct 23, 2016 5:42 PM

Aug 2015
This is getting better.
The dude with the spear is Rasputin? I hope so.

I love the Main trio (specially the trap, yes I'm weird).
Oct 23, 2016 10:58 PM
Mar 2016
This is ... awesome. Too much badass moment and full packed action, i can't wait to see more drifters come.

My question is ... what's the gender of Joan of Arc in this anime ? For me look like male.
Oct 24, 2016 2:04 AM

Apr 2009
Pakumen- said:
The dude with the spear is Rasputin? I hope so.

No. Rasputin is the guy with the glasses behind Anastasia, the dude with the spear behind Jeanne d'Arc is Gilles de Rais.
Ang004_Kaga said:
My question is ... what's the gender of Joan of Arc in this anime ? For me look like male.

Female.
Oct 24, 2016 2:18 AM

Mar 2015
Why is the majority japanese?
Oct 24, 2016 4:51 AM
Mar 2016
Ang004_Kaga said:

Female.[/quote]

Thanks for respons ... i'm bit confused but for 2nd thought, yeah she is
Oct 24, 2016 5:10 AM

May 2013
zombie_wolf said:

Because glorious Nippon wank.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Oct 24, 2016 6:57 AM

Jun 2013
Just like Parrot/Bird Said..."KING HAS COME, KING HAS COME!" "TIME FOR THE KING HAS COME!" "WORLD DESTRUCTION HAS BEGUN!"

Black Army...has Arrived...with Joan De'Arc...Anastasia and Rapustin...and Those Famous Japanese Castle Gate Guardians Leader..Hijikata....Oh boy....

...Heh...Scipio and Hannibal may hate each other and fight a lot...but they acknowledge each other as Great Rivals...So in Another Words,Unless you are either of them...do not Fuck with them or Insult either of them when they are hearing it! XD
'
Absolutely loved the sight of that WW2 Fighter Plane!! XD this is getting great
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Oct 24, 2016 7:15 AM

Jun 2013
RealExtinction said:
trannon1 said:

Oh! Well, that obviously makes better sense.XD Thanks for clearing that up!

He could also be Moses tho or something I suppose...but yeah, thanks.

Jesus Christ is biggest theory..and One that I was also suspecting......but the Scars in the Hands are wrong...they look like Blade wounds rather than crucify wounds...and in wrong places.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Oct 24, 2016 7:21 AM

Jun 2013
Atavistic said:
Definitely a much better episode with a lot less "comedy" and a focus on introducing Octobrist and the Ends. I thought it was an interesting detail how the fighter pilot chose his side based on how the destruction of the city reminded him of the war.

That post-credits scene was awful though; what could have been an interesting scene was instead made almost painful to watch by yet more "comedy" that is the exact opposite of funny.

this literally happened in manga, so they are following it...so far 100% straight follow...

Oct 24, 2016 7:23 AM

Nov 2009
Jarjaxle said:
Jesus Christ is biggest theory..and One that I was also suspecting......but the Scars in the Hands are wrong...they look like Blade wounds rather than crucify wounds...and in wrong places.

I think maybe even Hirano suspects making Black King into Jesus would be too easy? Tho I somehow have a feeling it will still be some Biblical person... Who knows tho, lets wait and see~
Oct 24, 2016 7:37 AM

Apr 2009
Jarjaxle said:

He has what looks like nail marks on his palms in the manga, it will be shown more in the following episodes. Marks on his arms look like something possible to get from being whipped harshly.
Oct 24, 2016 8:32 AM

Jun 2013
Klimat said:
Jarjaxle said:

He has what looks like nail marks on his palms in the manga, it will be shown more in the following episodes. Marks on his arms look like something possible to get from being whipped harshly.

Ah, Let's see..*checks Volume 1 of Manga* Looks like Whip/Blade Slash on palm of the Right hand...and Nail mark would have been shown from back of the hand...not seeing it.......have to wait...but if that will be shown...then that is another point him being JC.

Ah...*Volume 3* there is that Nail Mark...on top of that BK is multiplying the Food and Drinks.
JarjaxleOct 24, 2016 8:44 AM

Oct 24, 2016 8:38 AM
Jul 2015
So, is the Black King manipulating the minds of those historical figures AND giving them magic?
Oct 24, 2016 9:42 AM
Dec 2014
This episode was awesome, this will be one of the best series this fall, i liked that they introduce historic characters from all the world.
Oct 24, 2016 10:37 AM

Apr 2009
Hakunamawatta said:
So, is the Black King manipulating the minds of those historical figures AND giving them magic?

Nothing suggested this so far.
Oct 24, 2016 11:23 AM
Jul 2015
Klimat said:
Hakunamawatta said:

Well, The russian swordswoman could use ice magic and Joan of Arc could use fire magic. Also, their characters do not seem like how they are represented in history at all. Joan of Arc was a noble woman, not evil
Oct 24, 2016 11:44 AM

Apr 2009
Hakunamawatta said:
Klimat said:

Well, The russian swordswoman could use ice magic and Joan of Arc could use fire magic. Also, their characters do not seem like how they are represented in history at all. Joan of Arc was a noble woman, not evil

The idea is that all Ends, no matter how noble some of them were most of their lives, died in most horrible ways, betrayed by their own people, which broke them on a certain level, making them bitter towards humanity.
Oct 24, 2016 12:37 PM
Oct 2016
Kinda wished the pilot was Chuck Yeager ! The man who broke the sound barrier
Oct 24, 2016 12:56 PM

Mar 2015
FUnNshot said:
zombie_wolf said:

Because the series is made in Japan. Pretty obvious if you ask me.

Well, look Fate series, the mix is good
Oct 24, 2016 2:40 PM

Sep 2011
FUnNshot said:
zombie_wolf said:

Because the series is made in Japan. Pretty obvious if you ask me.

The real question is why does it matter if the majority is Japanese? Also out of about a dozen Drifters so far only four are Japanese
Oct 24, 2016 4:27 PM

May 2014
Okay so this episode made a bit a sense actually- it wasn't as messy as the others....the reason the Octobrists were monitoring the main trio is bc they need to enlist their help in defeating the "Ends" who seem to like killing everything. I'm guessing bc they're salty over the way their lives went/ended??

Seems simple enough!
My favorite Drifter so far has got to be Kanno, he was a treat to watch! Poor guy just got warped from WWII to a fantasy battle in his helicopter.
Needless to say, he took it like a real man.

+1 for an anime not being afraid to step away from its main characters. That's always a treat!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2016 12:11 AM

Mar 2015
FUnNshot said:
zombie_wolf said:

Well, look Fate series, the mix is good

We can't have that in every anime though. Yeah, it would be great to have more diversity, but it's still not a big deal. It's easier for the author to make a story using his history, people etc.

It´s Hellshing creator!!! And in Drifter the "bad guys" are occidental, i think he wants to show the power of japanes empire (jajaja nope)
Oct 25, 2016 4:13 AM
May 2016
Meritas said:
Whi is Hijikata on the bad side? I hate this so much.

if you noticed or know anything about historical events all the good guy's are on the bad side
Oct 25, 2016 3:04 PM

Feb 2016
Jeanne d'Arc was lit as fuck, I liked it.
Sadly it doesnt live up to my expectations of Hellsing-like animation but Ill keep watching.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 25, 2016 3:19 PM

May 2016
What the heck ? A plane from World War II ?
Oct 25, 2016 6:58 PM

May 2008
Loved this episode! The whole anime is great!

That last explanation after the credits! EPIC WIN!
[aling=center]
Oct 25, 2016 7:36 PM

Jan 2016
Intense and amusing aF lol specially when the pilot came in xD
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Oct 25, 2016 10:26 PM

Mar 2009
I like how this show is about historical figures fighting each other. But I'm not fond of much else. I've never liked Hirano's art, and his comedy is just dreadful.
Oct 26, 2016 6:08 AM
Mar 2016
NovxM said:

Really? ..I guess a female warrior with her chest covered is enough to confuse some people.

That short hair make me confused before

you give me idea, maybe i can use armor to cover my weakness to draw female's boobs, lol
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Drifters Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2016

167 by JackFrost1267 »»
Jan 3, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2016

119 by MizuhoKamui »»
Dec 16, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2016

129 by MizuhoKamui »»
Dec 15, 2023 6:38 PM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2016

81 by fathandz »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2016

92 by fathandz »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.